PDA

View Full Version : Off-season

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Just around the corner.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2012, 08:48 PM
The Jazz will send a team to the Orlando Pro Summer League on July 9-13.

O

DMV2
04-18-2012, 03:45 AM
Jefferson or Millsap, who won't return?

Also, is so obvious the Warrior are tanking. How does the protected pick work? Is it based on the actual W-L record or where the team's lottery ball drops?

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Jefferson or Millsap, who won't return?

Millsap needs to be signed to an extention. Should be at the top of the agenda. He and Hayward are the 2 they need to be building around right now. Both would be hard to replace with anyone better for their system.

Also, is so obvious the Warrior are tanking. How does the protected pick work? Is it based on the actual W-L record or where the team's lottery ball drops?

I believe it's where they finish not where the lottery balls bounce.

DMV2
04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
I believe it's where they finish not where the lottery balls bounce.
That's so lame! They need to change that rule otherwise, teams would just tank.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=20044305&nid=304&title=jazz-moves-must-revolve-around-favors-hayward

They begin with Derrick Favors, who has showed enough promise to demand increased playing time. Starting next season, and probably spanning the next decade, the 6-foot- 10 high-flying talent needs to play at least 30 minutes a game.

As the Jazz approach this off-season, recognizing that it could determine the level of the team's success for the next several years, management has got to make it a priority to allow Favors to develop. Any trades or other moves should be made with the 20-year-old's future in mind.

For much of this season, Coach Ty Corbin has seemed reluctant to play Favors at the expense of Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap. It's obvious the second-year coach prefers experience over youth.

But the future can't wait. As solid as the experienced players are, Corbin has to figure out a way for them to complement Favors.

If necessary, Jazz management has to force Corbin's hand. The point is trade Jefferson or Millsap to open more time for Favors.

I realize this seems to be the popular opinion but watching the team it seems obvious the 27 year old Millsap and Hayward are the two guys they need to be building around until the other young guys prove otherwise. Favors has it defensively but he has a long ways to go to pay Jazz ball at the other end. Kanter and Burks look more like Jazz players at the offensive end. I'm all for trading Al to get Favors and Kanter more time though.

As the primary options, Jefferson and Millsap have taken this team has far as they can.

Doesn't mean you trade Millsap.

Bailey lists Hayward as potentially the team's best all-around player.

He and Millsap already are. Burks has the skillset to join them. The mindset remains to be seen...

Hayward might be the most untradeable player.

And Millsap.

Not a bad starting point.

Millsap and G yes.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2012, 02:12 AM
[quote]Utah general manager Kevin O

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Alex Kennedy: Earl Watson has a torn medial meniscus. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery last Tuesday and will miss the remainder of the season. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2012, 07:49 PM
That leaves the Warriors one game ahead of New Jersey and Toronto, who play each other Thursday night in Toronto. So at least one of those teams will end up with a 23-43 record. Golden State plays host to San Antonio Thursday and with a loss, the Warriors would end up with a 23-43 record and tie for the seventh worst record.

If the Warriors end up in a tie at 23-43, then the league will flip a coin to determine the draft order.

So for the Jazz to get a first-round draft choice they lost their own by making the playoffs and must forfeit it to Minnesota they need Golden State to beat the Spurs, who will likely be resting their starters. But who knows how motivated the Warriors will be to win and perhaps lose out on a No. 8 or better draft pick.

If the Warriors lose, it would be up to a coin flip to see if the Jazz get a first-round pick or must wait until another year to get the Warriors selection.

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
David Locke

NBA Scout on Derrick Favors "I think he is growing, he has a ways to go. He has a presence on the floor, he is a big body at the rim on both ends, he can challenge shots, he doesn't block every shot but people know that he is there. He is physical. I think he is still growing into his body. He is young he is going to put on more muscle. If he can keep the quickness with the weight he puts on he will get better and better."

The questions that come with him mostly come at the offensive end and with his motor. His jumper looked pretty good against the Spurs. His post game needs a lot of work.

Xiao Yao You
05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
In the wake of serious injuries that have decimated Team USA's roster of Olympic finalists, sources said Kentucky big man and projected No. 1 pick Anthony Davis has been selected as a replacement candidate to compete in the London Games this summer. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo and the coaching staff headed by Mike Krzyzewski will be adding one other player, with both picks expected to be announced later Wednesday. According to sources, players under consideration were Pistons center Greg Monroe, Jazz center Al Jefferson and Kings center DeMarcus Cousins. But Cousins, sources said, has been invited to the Select team -- which will train with Team USA before the Olympics -- and is not the other finalist addition. SI.com

There's a chance that Colangelo could make even more additions, especially if the injuries continue to mount. It was believed that there were five vacancies in all, but it appears there are four after Colangelo told reporters in Las Vegas on Tuesday that Mavericks forward Lamar Odom is still under consideration. Odom, one of the original finalists, was thought to be out of contention after a tumultuous season in which Dallas deactivated him. Still, sources said it's unlikely that Odom will be on the final roster of 12. SI.com

Jefferson doesn't seem to be a good fit based on what we've seen from the team the past 6 years. Millsap would seem to be a better fit.

Xiao Yao You
05-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Jerry Colangelo said Al Jefferson was given great consideration to be added to the list of Olympic finalists. But it ultimately was decided to go another route. Sulia

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
[quote]While discussing the strength of San Antonio's pick-and-roll offense

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Draymond Green To Work Out For Celtics, Expects To Be First Round Pick

May 07, 2012 11:04 PM EDT

Draymond Green expects to be selected in the NBA draft somewhere in the first round.

"I hear I could go anywhere from 20 to 30," Green said. "But you never know, so I'm going to control what I can control and that's to be ready for any and every opportunity I get to show what I can do."

Green, who has accepted an invitation to the NBA's predraft camp in Chicago, said he has a workout scheduled May 22 with the Celtics. He also has drawn interest from Miami, Indiana, San Antonio, Golden State, Cleveland, Detroit, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Sacramento, Utah and New York.

"I'm not going to worry about getting tired because I've been grinding my whole life," he said. "Some teams are going to bring me in as a 3 and some as a 4 to see how I deal with quickness or length. I'm sure I'll be going against some 6-10 guys and some shorter and quick guys.

"If teams ask me if I think I'm a power or a small forward my answer is going to be, `I'm a player.' I don't want to be classified, I just want a chance to play."

How does this guy make any sense for the Jazz? Can he shoot?

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Corbin said Derrick Favors proved himself this season, especially during the playoffs. Favors could start for the Jazz next year, but much remains to be determined.

Only thing that should be determined is who they can unload Jefferson on and how soon.

Corbin expects to keep his staff intact next season and doesn't plan to add anyone. If his assistants have other opportunities, though, he'll allow them to speak with other teams.

Corbin said Utah might make key moves during the offseason and acknowledged the Jazz must improve their outside shooting. But if Utah basically has the same team next season, he's ready to go to work and improve.

If they have basically the same team i.e. Jefferson and Harris, O'Conner needs to get canned. Need a veteran wing that can shoot(not Raja though I'm guessing he is done in Utah) and a young pg and possibly a veteran pg though I'm ok with Tinsley depending on what other moves they can make. A veteran big man to be their 4th or 5th big once Favors, Kanter and possibly Evans move up the ranks with Jefferson's departure.

Corbin's excited about Utah's future and the young pieces the Jazz have in place. But he continually said it's an important summer for the team's and the organization's development.

Asked if the Jazz exceeded expectations, Corbin said Utah met them. The playoffs were a reminder of how far the Jazz have to go.

Corbin said Favors has the potential to become a player the Jazz can build around. Corbin added it's a big summer for Enes Kanter and Favors.

And Burks? Evans too?

Corbin's open to having Jerry Sloan help the team out during the future in any way he wants.

Interesting! Phil Johnson? I guess he's still around anyway with the tv gig? What about the Mailman helping the young bigs? Hopefully the young pg will get to work with Stockton like Deron did.

Corbin said it was his decision not to play Raja Bell during playoffs and the move was "on him."

What move? Leaving him on the bench seemed like the only move he could make. Howard at least had a strong game before the playoffs and called the Spurs killer with Dallas. Raja had sucked when he came back from injury earlier in the year too.

Corbin said Gordon Hayward might participate in Summer League. If not all, at least some.

I'd expect him there at least working on his shooting especially after a disappointing playoff.

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2012, 03:51 PM
DeMarre Carroll

All indications are he will return to the Jazz next season, and Carroll said Utah informed him they'll pick up his option.

No brainer. Wonder if that affects Howard at all? I'd welcome him back to at the right price.

Derrick Favors

Favors said he finally feels like he's in the NBA. He wants to be a starter next year, take his career to the next level and do everything possible to succeed.
After his exit meeting, Favors spoke with Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor and Corbin about starting for the Jazz next season.

Changes coming!

Raja Bell

Bell does not expect to return to Jazz next year.

Bell hopes the Jazz do the right thing and move him before the 2012-13 season. He was open to it before the trade deadline but never asked for trade.

Bell said Corbin was "unprofessional" at the end of the season. According to Bell, Corbin made things personal by playing everyone in the playoffs except for him and it was obvious.

Bell said if he's still on Jazz at the start of next season "we'll cross that bridge" then.

Bell said NBA referees and San Antonio coaches/players asked why he wasn't playing during the playoffs. They never understood what the Jazz were doing.
Bell wanted to move on after his March confrontation with Corbin and thought the Jazz were going to, since they publicly said they would. Bell said Utah was two-faced and Corbin obviously punished him for the remainder of the year.

Bell said there were times this season he didn't know he was active until he was informed pregame by the media.

C.J. Miles

Miles said the team was put off by Al Jefferson's pre-Game 4 comments about no one beating the Spurs in the playoffs and San Antonio being better than Utah.

Miles loves the Jazz, the team's fans and thinks Corbin will evolve. But he never knew what was expected of him this year.

Miles said communication was much better with former coach Jerry Sloan, and Corbin has struggled relaying his message to team.

Miles: "I don't even remember us naming a captain, but they wanted leadership."

Miles wanted to play in Game 4 but said he wasn't allowed to.

Miles said he's not the type of person to speak out but he couldn't hold back anymore. He spent a long time with the Jazz, always did what the team asked of him and wanted the situation to work. But he felt the Jazz didn't treat him right this season and couldn't hold his tongue.

Raja was a Sloan favorite too. Another sign of the change that's happened. It's official! CJ and Raja gone. :violin:

Devin Harris

Harris is "excited" to enter a contract year. He knows he started slowly and didn't initially play well this season. But he feels like he found his game at end of year.
Harris acknowledged communication with Corbin has been an issue. Harris said his relationship with Corbin improved as the season went on and he thinks Corbin will figure things out over time.

The game he found is better suited elsewhere. Package deal: Harris/Jefferson/Bell/possibly Watson and or Tinsley(depending on other moves)?

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Kanter says: "This year I learned so much. I learned so much from Al (Jefferson), from the playoffs and (Tim) Duncan. When I wasn't on the court, I watched what other players did. I'm going to work on my post moves and my passes and get more faster."

He knows what he needs to work on. I expect him to make huge strides.

El Kabong
05-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Bell comes across as a major league whiner, but the fact that multiple players say he needs to work on his communication skills probably means Corbin isn't entirely blameless in it. Just chalk it up to another learning experience for an inexperienced head coach.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Other players said communication with him was fine. It appears to be divided between the guys that were playing and not playing. Sloan loved Bell so it's not surprising him saying they communicated beter. CJ is a little more surprising but it sounds like he might just have Raja's back on this one and probably saw the writing on the wall anyway and knew he wouldn't be back so what the hell.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2012, 04:16 PM
[quote]Favors has excelled for the Jazz and he looks to challenge incumbent starter Paul Millsap at the power forward position next season. Millsap has been dangled as trade bait over the last few seasons and his status on the team is something the Jazz must figure out over the summer.

If Utah feels that Favors is the player they want starting at the four both next year and for many years to come, the time is now to get some value for Millsap via trade. Millsap, who

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
[quote]Among the more revealing comments during Tuesday

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2012, 05:59 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/660/0/Top-10-NBA-free-agents-the-Utah-Jazz-should-target-in-the-2012-offseason.html

Traditionally, the Jazz haven't made much of a splash in free agency. It's hard to lure big names to the Beehive State, even with extra cash. (Sorry, Jazz fans -- players like Ray Allen and Jason Terry are not walking through that door.)

Funny the Jazz were the first to sign Terry as a free agent. They probably want to go for rings but who knows if you give someone a chance for a big role and enough money and security? They'd both certainly be great to see running around screens in the Jazz offense.

Given the Jazz's inconsistent point-guard play in 2012, Dragic could push Devin Harris for the starting job immediately.

LOL! I doubt he signs if he's not starting. He'd make Harris look silly running the offense as Tinsley has.

Ersan Ilyasova

He's a couple years younger than Millsap and has more range but other than that how do they figure? He's going to be paid more than Millsap too at least next season. Only place I'd be looking for young guys is at that the 1. They need vets as the playoffs showed.

Batum's a versatile player who could fill a number of gaps if C.J. Miles and Josh Howard move on.

If CJ moves on? Think it's when not if at this point. I think they need a more seasoned veteran wing to replace Raja with Hayward and Burks already in place maybe a couple if Howard leaves not that they have any chance at Batum.

Rush could fit and might be gettable. He might make some sense.

Novak I say no unless he comes cheap for the end of the bench and I doubt that is happening.

He's stuck behind Kevin Martin (when he's healthy) in Houston, so Lee might prefer a change of scenery and a starting job if he can get one. Houston would probably be inclined to match, though.

Martin seems more likely and maybe a better fit anyway. Lee would be nice but he's restricted and they want to get rid of Martin and keep Lee I think.

Belinelli maybe. Might be had

Carlos Delfino

He might do.

Mo Williams

Don't see him as a great fit though a huge upgrade over Harris. Not worth the price they'd have to pay though. I'd want him coming off the bench of the ball which is where Devin should be.

the Suns have made it clear that they won't bring Nash back to the desert. He'll probably go to a contending team with a chance at a championship. But unlikely though it may be, if the Jazz could land

The Suns haven't made it clear that he won't be back. How do these guys get their jobs?

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Despite all the talk of NY never letting Lin go it sounds like he is a possible get. The way he ran the pick and roll during Linsanity he'd have to be a guy the Jazz would seriously look at especially if they can't draft a pg.

[quote]Lin will be what

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
[quote]Kevin O

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/660/11/Jerryd-Bayless-PG-Toronto-restricted-Top-20-NBA-free-agents-the-Utah-Jazz-should-target-in-the.html

They added to the list.

Bayless might be ok as a combo guard off the bench.

Rudy might be ok if it wasn't for the fact that he's always talking about wanting to be ack in Europe. I'd probably stay away from him. Too hard to keep happy.

Andre Miller, PG, Denver (unrestricted)
Previous salary: $7.8 million

Could the former Utah Utes star end his career in a Jazz uniform? He's shown he can still perform in a backup role in Denver, averaging 9.7 points and 6.7 assists in 28 minutes per game. But his high price tag and poor outside shooting might make him a liability. The Jazz would have to consider if Miller would bring anything to the table that Jamaal Tinsley and Earl Watson don't.

High price tag? He had to settle for a lot less than he's worth last contract. He's likely going to get even less. Bargain! He's a better shooter than Earl and just an overall better player than both Tinsley and Watson. Unless they get Nash I'd say he should be a top target. He could start in Utah depending on who else they get.

Shannon Brown might be alright off the bench too.

Doubt they can get Fields and with Burks and Hayward not sure why they would target him?

Brooks might work but he's ideally not their type unless things change under Ty reign or he wants to come off the bench which I doubt he does unless he has to.

Not sure Augustin is their type either

Farmar might work as a back-up depending on who else they get.

Hill would be a nice bench guy too but I doubt Indiana lets him go.

I don't see any need for AK with what we saw from Hayward the past couple months.

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Hayward played the most of the four, earning a starting spot in his second year and averaging 11.8 points and 3.5 rebounds, while starting 58 of 66 games.

He plans to spend most of his summer in his hometown of Indianapolis working out.

Perhaps it's the bad memory of the last two playoff games when he made only 1 of 18 field goal attempts, but Hayward said his main goal in the offseason is "to become an elite-level shooter."

He also said he wants to "develop strength and use my athleticism to take it to the rim and get to the free-throw line some more."

All the obvious things he needs to work on.

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Favors is going to Santa Barbara to work out with teammates Al Jefferson and Kanter. He said there are specific things he needs to work on.

"I need to get stronger and a little bit more explosive and work on my conditioning," he said.

"I want to improve my offensive game, improve my jump shot and just improve overall."

His post game and passing need the most work.

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Corbin singled Kanter out as the player who had come the furthest during the season.

Not much doubt. You could see it from game to game.

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2012, 11:43 PM
The former Colorado star has a knack for getting to the basket and drawing fouls and many folks believe he can be an NBA starter if he develops a consistent jump shot. He said there's not one specific thing he's working on this summer.

"It's not just one thing, but I need to work on everything to become a more complete player," he said. "I need to get better by doing everything I can."

Not much doubt he can be a starter in the league. He arguably could have been starting this year. His jump shot will be fine I think. He just needs to put up shots in the summer. Playing within the team concept is what will define how good he can be with the Jazz. He did improve as the season wore on.

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2012, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE]The former Jazz forward was quoted this week by Reuters, saying that returning to Utah is an option. His first option among NBA teams.

This season he played in Russia for CSKA.

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2012, 04:35 AM
But King, Williams and Prokhorov will also be getting a close look at CSKA star Andrei Kirilenko, a name very familiar to NBA fans after playing 10 years for the Jazz, including together with Williams from the day the point guard was drafted until he was dealt to the Nets. While multiple sources flatly denied a report last week that said a verbal agreement between Kirilenko and the Nets was imminent, The Post did confirm that the team has monitored the versatile 6-foor-10 forward

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2012, 06:06 PM
[quote]Tinsley and Howard might even be back next season. "You never commit to anything because you

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2012, 06:17 PM
The Jazz should set their sights on acquiring ex-Utah guard Mo Williams, a.k.a. Kevin O'Connor's Regret.

To this day, the Jazz general manager ranks not re-signing Williams in 2004 among his biggest mistakes. The team thought Williams was OK, but it already had Carlos Arroyo and Raul Lopez, then signed Keith McLeod and Howard Eisley for the next season. That's not a special group of guards, but the Jazz didn't think Williams was special, either, or they would have kept him.

Thus, Utah became a no-go for Mo.

Unless he wants to come off the bench for the right price I don't see it. He makes almost the same as Harris right now and is obviously a huge upgrade over Chops but he's not a great fit. They could use what he brings off the bench probably especially off the ball which is where Harris would serve best as well.

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Al Jefferson on Derrick Favors' potential: "He feel like he can just jump over and dunk over everybody. Once he learn how to play the game, it's going to be trouble. I hope I'm his teammate for the rest of my career."

Are you willing to come off the bench and take a huge pay cut to do it?

Millsap on his upcoming contract year: "I'm hoping to stay here forever."

Get it done O'Conner. Never any mention of Jefferson or Harris extentions?

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Miller is one of three free agents the Nuggets have to make decisions on this summer, the first normal NBA calendar since 2010. It's likely the Nuggets will attempt to bring him back after his at-times spectacular playoff series against the Lakers. Miller is the only unrestricted free agent on the roster, so the decision to stay or leave is solely his. "I'll keep my options open," Miller said. "At this point in my career, if I'm going to be a backup, I'm going to be a backup on a championship-caliber team. Obviously, this team is a good team that's going to get to the playoffs, but the thing is if they are committed to getting to that next level to compete for that championship." Denver Post

"I want to be on a team that's going to compete for a championship, and not use youth as a crutch or inexperience as a crutch," Miller said. "This team does have guys that can compete and can get out of the first round. It's just whether I can swallow my pride and deal with being a backup point guard. I have no problem with it, but at the same time I definitely still see myself as a starter in this league. Like I said, you have to swallow your pride sometimes. These young guys are coming in and they're working for it. So, that's just part of the business that I'm learning." Denver Post

You can start in Utah!

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Corbin didn't tip his hand as to whether or not he'd lean to starting them together next season, but if Millsap can become even more adept at guarding small forwards and hitting some threes, it's at least an intriguing option.

Millsap was asked about his previous insistence that he's a starting power forward, something he proved capable of doing in his sixth season.

"I am," Millsap said. With a smile, he added, "I can also be a starting small forward."

I think that's stupid. He's too good of a 4 to start him at the 3. Jefferson has to go as much as the Jazz love continuity.

O'Connor even hinted Harris could take on more of a shooting guard role and said the Jazz will "explore" the best option for the point guard position.

Fans can only wonder if that means the team might target one of the draft's multiple standout point guards, including Weber State's Damian Lillard, or if it will pursue an intriguing unrestricted free agent like, say,

Cool! If they keep Harris he should be 6th man playing off the ball. He's not a floor general.

hennigplex
05-13-2012, 10:49 PM
I know you've made up your mind about Jefferson needing to go - but what about the "big 3" starting lineup of Jefferson, Millsap and Favors, with the frequent rotation of Hayward?

James Harden averaged over 30 mins a game coming off the bench this year for OKC - don't see why you couldn't give all four of the above guys decent minutes.

What say you?

Also, we need a shooting guard. A real one. At $3.2m Raja Bell is just eating up cash, and Burks is still green. Belinelli? Jamal Crawford?

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2012, 02:43 AM
After conceding the series to the Spurs after game 3 Jefferson definitely has to go. Not one reason to keep a guy like that around. Millsap is too good of a 4 to start at the 3.

Not sure Crawford has the IQ to play in Utah. Bellini maybe. I'd rather have Ray Allen, Kevin Martin or Micheal Redd coming off screens. Raja Bell was doing ok before his injury but he wants out. Send him on his way. Earl doesn't want to be a 3rd stringer send him down the road. CJ bye bye. Devin Harris unless they move him to the bench at the 2 has to go as well. First priority really.

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2012, 10:08 AM
When we asked last week if Deron Williams and family were headed for Moscow, we were told by a team insider, "stay tuned." Well, shortly after 6:30 a.m, Amy Williams tweeted, "Greetings from Russia!!!" (That's three exclamation points, we note). No word on whether they arrived with Mikhail Prokhorov, on his plane or what the family's plans are, but better Moscow than Dallas. NetsDaily

Last week, Masha Kirilenko, Andrei Kirilenko's wife, said the two couples would be going to Russia together. AK-47 may have a difficult time playing host. CSKA Moscow suffered one of the devastating losses in basketball history Sunday night in Istanbul, going from 19 up with 12 minutes left to a one-point loss in the last second, with D-Will and Prokhorov in attendance. NetsDaily

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2012, 11:29 AM
O'Connor also talked about using Harris more as a shooting guard next year. But he didn't say who might be the point guard in those situations besides the present point guards.

Only way I can see keeping him assuming it's off the bench.

Because the Jazz usually keep three point guards, there is speculation they might try to find one through free agency or in the draft.

As of right now, the Jazz don't have a first-round draft choice unless Golden State falls to No. 8 in the upcoming lottery. It is rumored the Jazz would love a shot at Weber State point guard Damian Lillard, whom they've seen up close for three years, and is projected to be gone by the middle of the first round.

So if the Jazz were to look at the free agent list, who could they get?

Steve Nash is an unrestricted free agent and he'd be an intriguing possibility. But he is 38 years old and wouldn't be a long-term solution. Same with Andre Miller, who is 36 years old, although he would be an upgrade as the backup point.

Would be an upgrade as the starter. Probably the only way he comes to Utah.

Other unrestricted free agent point guards include Portland's Raymond Felton, Atlanta's Kirk Hinrich, Dallas' Jason Kidd, Indiana's Leandro Barbosa and Houston's Goran Dragic. Among those free agents with a player option are Orlando's Jameer Nelson, the Nets' Jordan Farmar and the Clippers' Mo Williams.

If it wasn't for this past season Felton might have been high on their list. Hinrich would be nice as a back-up at both guard spots. I wouldn't want Kidd. Barbosa isn't a pg. If Harris isn't playing in the role he'd be a nice 6th man. Dragic shoud be 1 or 2 on their list with Nash. Nelson would be better than Harris. Not sure he's a great fit though. Farmer might be nice as a back-up.

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2012, 04:24 AM
The USA Select team reportedly will include: the Jazz's Hayward and Favors; DeMarcus Cousins (Kings); Jeremy Lin (Knicks); Klay Thompson (Warriors); Kyrie Irving (Cavs); John Wall (Wizards); DeMar DeRozan (Raptors); Paul George (Pacers); Kawhi Leonard and DeJuan Blair (Spurs); Ryan Anderson (Magic); and Taj Gibson (Bulls).

USA Basketball has not officially announced the members of its prep squad, which gives officials a chance to evaluate potential future Olympic players as well. LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook are 2012 Olympic team finalists who were on the 2008 Select squad.

It's possible Hayward and Favors would not be able to participate with the Jazz's summer league team in Orlando (July 9-13) despite Utah management's wishes for that to happen. Team USA will begin preparing for the London Games in Las Vegas during the same time period (July 5-12) before continuing training in Washington, D.C. from July 13-16.

Former Jazz point guard Deron Williams is the only player with local ties among the 22 hopefuls looking to be included on the final U.S. roster. Olympic action begins on July 29 for the Americans against a tough pool that includes the likes of Argentina and France.

Hayward struggled to find his shot in the postseason, but the shooting guard played especially well during the second half of the regular season to help the Jazz make a successful playoff push. The 22-year-old finished his second year in the NBA with averages of 11.8 points, 3.5 assists and 3.1 assists.

Hayward helped the U.S. Under-18 team win the 2009 world championship in New Zealand. The ex-Butler standout was named to the all-tournament team.

Favors averaged 8.8 points and 6.5 rebounds during the season, but the powerful and athletic 20-year-old came on strong in the playoffs. The 6-10 Favors was one of Utah's best players during the Spurs' sweep, averaging 11.8 points and 9.5 rebounds while playing some menacing defense.

Both Hayward and Favors played well in the Rising Stars Challenge during All-Star Weekend.

Could be good for them to go up against some of the best for a few days. Not sure I'd want them to miss summer league though.

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2012, 04:26 AM
[quote]The Chicago Bulls

CakeorDeath
05-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Doesn't look like O'Conner is looking to trade bigs away, at least not this offseason:

One popular line of thinking is that the Jazz must trade either Jefferson or Millsap in order to allow Favors and Kanter to get more minutes and fully blossom.

Don't count O'Connor among that group.

"What we got to do is add to (our core)," the Jazz GM said. "I don't think we've got to blow it up and start over again, and I don't think we've got to be in a position where we're looking at it and saying we've got to trade some people."

He's always been consistently (and sometimes painstakingly) mum on these kinds of issues, but if these comments are any indication it seems like the FO is content to see what this frontcourt can do next season and thus a couple mild free-agent acquisitions in the backcourt are what we have to look forward to this offseason. Korver seems like a guy we'd go after if the Bulls let him become a FA. Like to see us go after Nash, Mo Williams, or Andre Miller but I highly doubt we get any of them. I'm really hoping the Jazz use the trade exception received from the Okur trade wisely but I could also see them just letting it expire (which would be infuriating).

Let Miles and Howard walk, re-up tinsley and Carroll, get a real PG and let Harris slide to the 2 (and off the bench), and target Kover and AK. If the team looked like this I'd be pretty excited:

(Nash or Williams or Miller) / Watson / Tinsley
Hayward / Harris / Burks
Millsap / Korver / Carroll
Big Al / AK
Favors / Kanter

magnax1
05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
It's great to see O'Conner doesn't want to break up the Millsap/Favors/Jefferson core. There just really isn't any reason to when Kanter hasn't shown much. Millsap can play 6th man, and hopefully they get Andre Miller in the offseason. Since he's so old it still leaves a long term hole at that position, but he'd really improve the team next year. They should probably look for a shooter at SF or SG too.
Hopefully nobody tries to overpay Carroll. He looked great at the end of the year.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Doesn't look like O'Conner is looking to trade bigs away, at least not this offseason:

Quote:
One popular line of thinking is that the Jazz must trade either Jefferson or Millsap in order to allow Favors and Kanter to get more minutes and fully blossom.

Don't count O'Connor among that group.

"What we got to do is add to (our core)," the Jazz GM said. "I don't think we've got to blow it up and start over again, and I don't think we've got to be in a position where we're looking at it and saying we've got to trade some people."

He said they aren't blowing it up. He's also said Favors needs to start. To add people you have to subtract people. If trading Jefferson is what it takes to fill other holes than you might just have to do it. That said I would take what O'Conner says with a grain of salt. The one thing he has proven is he can talk.

Korver seems like a guy we'd go after if the Bulls let him become a FA.

At what price? They let him go before for a reason.

Like to see us go after Nash, Mo Williams, or Andre Miller but I highly doubt we get any of them.

Mo doesn't make much sense unless you are just looking for an improvement over Harris and you could do that by going eeny meeny miney moe. He'd be nice off the bench as a combo guard but I'm guessing he like Andre wants to start. Miller seems highly likely if they move Harris(either a trade or to the bench at the 2 which O'Conner has also mentioned and is the only place he could possibly help them) and/or Watson who should go too. Tinsley they should keep if they can't get an upgrade in Nash or Miller.

I'm really hoping the Jazz use the trade exception received from the Okur trade wisely but I could also see them just letting it expire (which would be infuriating).

Letting it expire seems more likely but they could use it and still just go over the salary cap well below the luxury threshold so who knows. They have til December so it could come into play when teams are looking at their rosters before contracts get guaranteed for the year.

Let Miles and Howard walk

Howard was one of their best players before he got hurt. I'd definitely be looking to bring him back depending on the price and who's in line to replace him.

re-up tinsley and Carroll

Their options seem like no brainers. Even if they get Andre or Nash Tinsley could be easily traded.

target Kover and AK

Based on what Hayward showed at the end of the year I can't see bringing AK back. Maybe be able to use him in a sign and trade.

(Nash or Williams or Miller) / Watson / Tinsley
Hayward / Harris / Burks
Millsap / Korver / Carroll
Big Al / AK
Favors / Kanter

Watson wasn't happy as the 3rd guard and Tinsley is a better fit so Earl has to go. They need to start developing a young guy regardless. They should have been this year. Marshall or the Weber St. guy make sense. A seasoned vet(Tinsley/Nash/Mller/?) and a veteran combo guard either Harris or someone else.

Al has to go. You don't need anyone around that concedes a playoff series before it's over! Millsap is to good at the 4 to start him at the 3. Bring in a veteran to fight Favors and Kanter for the other minutes up front. Burks 3rd string doesn't work for me either. He's arguably got the most upside of anyone. He could be their go to guy in the future.

If they can get Nash maybe Ray Allen would come too? Micheal Redd? Kevin Martin is available.

Evans also has looked promising in his limited chances.

There just really isn't any reason to when Kanter hasn't shown much.

There's plenty of reasons besides for the fact that him crowned the Spurs champs after game 3. He's got an expiring contract. Do you extend him? Do you wait til the trade deadline? Do you wait til the off season and possibly get nothing but cap space for a guy you gave up 3 first rounders and a huge TPE for? To be better defensively. To unleash the young guys. etc.

Millsap can play 6th man

He can but since he is their best player and most clutch if you play him at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th it's doesn't work as well to have him on the floor at the end of the game and limits his overall minutes. He and Hayward are the two guys the offense should be revolving around til someone changes that.

They should probably look for a shooter at SF or SG too.

It's a must especially with Raja leaving soon.

Hopefully nobody tries to overpay Carroll. He looked great at the end of the year.

He's got an option that it sounds like they will pick up. Tinsley too.

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2012, 04:10 PM
and simple. It might not be so if top teams come calling, but as of right now, "Andre Miller told us plain and simple that he wants to come back and play here," Nuggets executive Masai Ujiri said today. Denver Post

"I had a great meeting with Andre Miller," Ujiri said. "With Andre's comments, he wants to be respected as a veteran, which we feel he has to be respected as a veteran. He even said to me that Ty (Lawson) helped him, because the minutes he played, he took care of his body, he didn't play as many minutes. I think Andre's looking forward to being on this team, I think he likes the role. I can't discuss contracts but it's stuff we're going to talk about and figure out." Denver Post

"Do we want Andre back? Yes," Ujiri said. "Collectively, the organization, ownerships, Coach Karl, teammates, we want Andre back, he was great for the team. Andre told me he wants to be in Denver. And all the contract stuff will take care of itself." Denver Post

I'm guessing if he gets more money/years/better role/better shot at winning big he could still be had.

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2012, 05:19 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/5/19/3031856/nba-draft-lotto-odds-golden-state-has-better-chance-to-give-up-pick?ref=yahoo

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
So where are you off to now? Brooklyn or Utah? Andrei Kirilenko: These two teams are my top priorities. In Utah is where I blossomed, the Nets are owned by a Russian Oligarch. But no one knows how life will unfold, so please let's wait a little until July 1st, the hot time of change in the NBA. But for now I want to enjoy this Championship of Russia. We earned it. Sovsport.ru

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors will not participate on the Utah Jazz team in the Orlando Summer League, general manager Kevin O'Connor said Monday.

Hayward and Favors are members of the USA Men's Select Team, which will train July 5-11 in Las Vegas and practice against the London-bound United States' Olympic team. The Orlando Summer League is scheduled July 9-13.

"It's a great honor for our guys -- a privilege," O'Connor said. "They need to go do that. It will be great experience for them."

Thirteen players were picked for the U.S. Select Team. The Jazz and San Antonio Spurs were the only NBA teams to place more than one player on the 13-man roster.

Hayward played in all 66 games during the lockout-shortened season. He averaged 11.8 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists. He was the No. 9 pick in the 2010 NBA draft.

Favors played in 65 games last season. He averaged 8.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and one blocked shot in 21.2 minutes. He was the No. 3 pick in the 2010 draft before being traded by New Jersey to Utah midway through his rookie season.

"Being chosen for the Select Team is quite an honor," said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo. "It’s an important step in becoming involved in USA Basketball’s National Team program in the future."

Other Select Team members are Ryan Anderson (Orlando), DeJuan Blair (San Antonio), DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento), DeMar DeRozan (Toronto), Paul George (Indiana), Taj Gibson (Chicago), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio), Jeremy Lin (New York), Klay Thompson (Golden State) and John Wall (Washington).

Jay Triano and Mike Hopkins are the Select Team's co-head coaches. Triano was an assistant for the USA World Championship team in 2010. He is former head coach of the Toronto Raptors. Hopkins is a long-time assistant at Syracuse with an extensive background in USA Basketball coaching.

"The 2012 Select Team has an excellent collection of talents," Colangelo said. "The group has outstanding speed and versatility, some excellent shooters and some very good size."

-- Steve Luhm

Sucks they will miss the summer league especially Favors. Don't think G needs it so much but playing with some of the better young American players and against some of our best should be good for them too.

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2012, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE]Over the weekend, Kirilenko told the Russian sports web site sovsports.ru that he is undecided about his future. His options include staying with CSKA Moscow or coming back to the NBA. If he returns to the United States, Kirilenko said his "priority" will be signing with the Brooklyn Nets, who are owned by Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, or rejoining Utah.

"I haven

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Kyrie Irving, Ricky Rubio, Kenneth Faried, Klay Thompson, Iman Shumpert, Kawhi Leonard and Brandon Knight have been voted to the 2011-12 NBA All-Rookie First Team.

On the All-Rookie Second Team is Chandler Parsons, Isaiah Thomas, MarShon Brooks, Derrick Williams and Tristan Thompson.

The following players also received votes:

Markieff Morris, Phoenix, 7 (1); Kemba Walker, Charlotte 7; Alec Burks, Utah 2; Norris Cole, Miami 2; Bismack Biyombo, Charlotte 2; Enes Kanter, Utah 1; Greg Stiemsma, Boston 1; Gustavo Ayon, New Orleans 1; Nikola Vucevic, Philadelphia 1.

Boone and Harpring voted for Burks? Boone for Kanter? Can't see Burks getting any votes. Kanter maybe.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2012, 06:23 PM
ESPN's Marc Stein reported Saturday the Jazz are talking to Golden State about a trade that would make sure the Warriors keep their pick in the upcoming NBA draft.

Jazz fans know this story.

As part of last year's Deron Williams trade with New Jersey, the Jazz received a pick originally owned by the Nets but sent to Golden State. The pick was top-seven protected and the Warriors finished with the seventh-worst record in the league after a late-season slump.

As things stand now, Golden State retains ownership of the pick. But because of lottery's random nature, there's a 28-percent chance Golden State could slide backward in the first round. If that happened, Utah would own the pick.

To made sure they keep the pick -- regardless of what happens in the lottery -- the Warriors are apparently talking to the Jazz about a trade that would eliminate the protection.

According to Stein, a source with knowledge of the trade talks called a deal "likely."

To get the Jazz to agree, Golden State could offer a combination of future draft considerations, cash or less protection on the pick the Warriors will still owe Utah. Currently, Golden State's pick in 2013 is top-seven protected. The 2014 pick is top-six protected.

Golden State owner Joe Lacob first spoke of a deal with Utah during a radio interview two months ago. The public discussion of the talks infuriated Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor, who said at the time the Warrior owner could say anything he wanted but there would be no comment from the Jazz.

-- Steve Luhm

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2012, 06:26 PM
[quote]Kyle Lowry believes he and Kevin McHale can no longer coexist.

Lowry underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia and torn abductor muscles three weeks ago and briefly returned to the Toyota Center on Friday.

Xiao Yao You
05-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Chad Ford: Next stop in the draft workout tour: Oakland to see Damian Lillard this morning along with a couple of NBA teams Twitter

Wonder if the Jazz will be there? I guess they've had plenty of opportunities to see him in Ogden already.

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2012, 12:39 AM
[quote]The Raptors are extremely high on Lowry, so there is little doubt

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2012, 09:42 AM
The Idaho Stampede have entered an exclusive partnership with Portland after teaming with the Jazz, Blazers and Nuggets last season.

The Jazz were previously affiliated with the Utah Flash before the franchise folded prior to the 2011-12 season.

Neither the Jazz nor Denver have announced their new affiliates.

In a press release, Portland president Larry Miller said the "hybrid partnership" will allow the Blazers and Stampede to operate in a Major League Baseball type of relationship.

Four NBA teams (the Blazers, Nets, Rockets and Knicks) have hybrid partnerships with D-League teams, allowing them to control basketball operations with the developmental squads.

The Cavaliers, Lakers, Mavericks, Spurs, Thunder and Warriors each own D-League teams.

Not that the Jazz use the D-league anyway. Evans probably should have spent most of the year in Idaho.

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2012, 10:22 PM
I think they should still look hard at getting into the draft to get Marshall if at all possible.

magnax1
05-30-2012, 10:50 PM
So, is the GS pick top 7 protected next year?

El Kabong
05-31-2012, 12:44 AM
So, is the GS pick top 7 protected next year?
Top 6 I believe for '13 and '14, then if not received by 2014 Jazz get 2nd rounders in '14 and '16.

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2012, 04:08 AM
Will GS ever win though? They're counting on a couple injury prone guys to lead them. Jazz need to start developing a pg now not next year. I'd try to get their guy this year if there's someone they like. Marshall sounds like their type of player.

El Kabong
05-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Will GS ever win though? They're counting on a couple injury prone guys to lead them. Jazz need to start developing a pg now not next year. I'd try to get their guy this year if there's someone they like. Marshall sounds like their type of player.
You'd have to hope so. Mark Jackson promised playoffs this year, so I doubt ownership would be happy with another sucky year, and Jackson's job could be on the line over it. And at the very least it's still an asset they could use in another trade down the line.

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2012, 10:29 AM
I'd consider trading it now if they can get into the draft and get someone they want.

El Kabong
05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
I'd consider trading it now if they can get into the draft and get someone they want.
Yea, makes sense if you see a player you really want. I'm not sure who'd be willing to give up a 1st now for a 1st later though.

Xiao Yao You
06-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Marshall. Their own pick next year won't be that good if they get the right players this year.

Xiao Yao You
06-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Royce Young: Eric Maynor is on the practice floor doing some pretty aggressive shooting drills. Great to see. Twitter

How'd he look running the Jazz offense? I think I only saw him once.

He could probably be had though coming off injury he might have to sign for a lot less money and OKC might be able to afford him now.

Xiao Yao You
06-02-2012, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE]Over the next few weeks, don

Xiao Yao You
06-03-2012, 12:56 AM
O’Connor and other members of the Jazz staff travel to Chicago this week for the pre-draft camp as they begin their search for the next Millsap or Williams.

When they return home, the Jazz will invite a handful of players to Utah for workouts during a 10-day period prior to the draft.

As always, O’Connor said, the goal is to find and draft "the best player available."

If the best player available isn't a pg or at least a combo guard or someone they can leave stash overseas they should trade or sell the pick.

Xiao Yao You
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE]Word has it Nash and the Suns have agreed that if Nash is leaving Phoenix that the franchise would help facilitate a sign and trade deal to insure Steve gets the maximum dollars for his services and the Suns get something in return for him. Meaning all bets are off on where Nash lands, as cap space and exception money won

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Rusty Simmons: Two things overheard in the NBA pre-draft combine lobby that might interest Warriors fans: 1. Chicago is not expected to pick up the $3.7 million option on point guard C.J. Watson; 2. Swingman Josh Howard would love to play for the Warriors. Sulia

They don't have big money to spend so we should be able to keep Josh away from them if we want. Watson might be someone for the Jazz to look at too.

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Shaun Powell: Hornets will entertain offers for 10th pick if someone also agrees to take Ariza or Okafor contracts. Twitter

Looks like Ariza/Jack(and Vasquez) works for Devin, Earl and Raja. Throw in whatever picks to make it work. Ariza has 2 more years on his deal. While not the great shooter they need and a bit overpaid he could be a good fit and they could afford him even though he cuts into what could be big cap space next year. Jack could start or ideally come off the bench as a combo guard and again not the great shooter they need but a good fit especially off the bench and coming off a career year. Also an expiring contract at a bit less than half of the 3 guys the Jazz give up. The 10th pick they could probably get Marshall or Lilliard. Vasquez looks like a pretty good fit too though not a great shooter either if you want him thrown in on the deal as well. With his size he could play next to Jack.

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Veteran point guard Jose Calderon (who possesses an expiring contract in 2012-13) and young big man Ed Davis are among the players that the Raptors would conceivably be willing to put into a trade package. ESPN.com

Sounds like they want a veteran small forward though.

Xiao Yao You
06-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Marc Stein: Draft buzz: Hearing that teams calling Hornets being told that it'll take more to get No. 10 pick than taking on Ariza or Okafor contract Twitter

How much more? Expiring contracts/TPE/GS protected pick/future Jazz picks could be quite a lot with or without Jack and/or Vasquez in the deal. They want Jefferson next to Davis? They'd actually be a good pair.

Xiao Yao You
06-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Sam Amico: And yes, sounds like Hornets are willing to move their 10th pick. But you'd better give them a starting-caliber point guard in return. Twitter

You're in luck. Introducing Devin Harris!

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2012, 03:24 AM
North Carolina's Kendall Marshall is meeting with ‪#Blazers‬ today. He says he's hearing he'll be a late lottery pick. Twitter

Wonder if they Jazz talked to him just in case?

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
If drafted, Hummel likely will be a late second-round selection. He has a workout coming up with the Bulls as well as ones with the Cavaliers, Jazz and Pacers. There are about a dozen workouts planned in total before draft night. "A lot of teams are interested," Hummel said. "It helps that doubt has been eliminated with my knees. As long as I keep that going in the right direction, I'm confident I'll be taken." Chicago Tribune

Looks like their kind of player but they don't need him.

Xiao Yao You
06-10-2012, 08:51 PM
[quote]Day one of adidas Eurocamp is in the books, and while several of the players showed flashes of ability throughout the opening session, the best player on the floor was Tomas Satoransky. The 6

Xiao Yao You
06-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Tuesday: Just finished taking Utah Jazz big man Enes Kanter through his initial assessment at P3. Enes is an absolute beast, and at age 20 already one of the strongest NBA players that we have tested. (!!!!!!!!!!!*) His lower extremity bilateral force characteristics are very symmetrical in dynamic movement....Enes takes too long to reach peak force and needs to improve his hip extension, lower extremity power/acceleration and eccentric adaptation. He also reaches instead of drives when accelerating in all planes. We are very confident that we can improve these qualities, and enable Enes to become a much more explosive athlete on the basketball court.

Wednesday: Busy day at P3! Another round of motion capture with NBA's top draft prospects, and initial motion capture with Utah Jazz players Enes Kanter and Alec Burks. Tracking sensors strategically placed on the body allow P3 sports scientists to quantify and identify each athletes' individual weakness in the long kinetic chain. The data we are collecting on these young athletes will serve them for years to come.

Sounds like the off season is already paying off big time this year. Can't wait to see what they do in the summer league.

Xiao Yao You
06-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Mock Draft 2012

Date Updated Site Player School
May 31 2012 NBADraft.net . Henry Sims 6'11 242 C . Georgetown Sr.
May 30 2012 ESPN.com . Jae Crowder 6'6 225 SF . Marquette Sr.
May 30 2012 DraftExpress.com . Darius Johnson-Odom 6'2 215 SG . Marquette Sr.

I guess these are guys projected to the Jazz. Please don't take anyone that's not a pg, a shooter or overseas guy to stash away. So out of these guys only Odom seems to make any sense. He can shoot. Doesn't sound like he has much in pg skills but could possibly develop into a combo guard which they could use. I saw Crowder against BYU and he was good but he played in the frontcourt so the fact that his dad played for the Jazz isn't enough.

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Sean Deveney: Big day for #Raptors PG Jose Calderon? TOR is working out PGs Kendall Marshall and Damian Lillard. Calderon remains a big amnesty candidate. Twitter

Why would they amnesty him when he has lots of trade value? If they don't want players they could take a TPE or picks or rights to guys or cash. Would be great for the Jazz. Make it happen O'Conner!

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2012, 07:03 PM
The wildcard in all of this is the amnesty clause, which Toronto could use this summer to be rid of Jose Calderon

Xiao Yao You
06-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Asked if he planned to bring any players to Utah for pre-draft workouts in the next two weeks, O'Conner hinted it was not priority.

"We've tried do our homework early on guys," he said. "We've interviewed them. We've seen them play. The biggest thing is to be prepared on every level and I think we will be."

Isn't that kind of unusual even without a 1st rounder?

Six teams own a pair first-round pick in the draft, which creates more trade talk than usual, O'Connor said.

Teams with two first-round picks include New Orleans (Nos. 1 and 10), Cleveland (Nos. 4 and 24), Portland (Nos. 6 and 11), Golden State (Nos. 8 and 30), Houston (Nos. 14 and 16) and Boston (Nos. 21 and 22).

O'Connor downplayed the possibility of the Jazz making a trade to get into the first round: "Everybody is going to be asking for the moon and the stars."

What they ask for and what they take are two different things. Why take a guy you're not that high on just because?

Referring to Utah's young nucleus of Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Alec Burks and Enes Kanter, O'Connor said. "... We've got four lottery picks from the last two years. So unless we find something we really like, we really don't want to disturb things too much."

-- Steve Luhm

Yeah you wouldn't want to get the pg you desperately need to pair with them.

El Kabong
06-14-2012, 04:58 AM
I read that more as the teams he'd have to deal with to get a decent 1st round pick would be asking for the Burks, Hayward, Favors type in return for the deal and he isn't willing to deal them.

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't be looking to deal them either but they do have the GS pick which could be as high as 7 in the next 2 years. If a team has the choice of drafting someone they don't really want/need or trading the pick for a future pick(s)/TPE/expiring contracts/cash/Tomic I make the deal. Some of these perennial lottery teams don't need any more young guys. Jazz only need one and I'm not sure they can get what they need at 47.

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Steve Luhm: GM Kevin O'Connor says Jazz have until June 30 to exercise $1.35 million option on Jamaal Tinsley and won't do anything before then. Twitter

I'd think it's a no brainer. He's tradable even if they end up with better options but I'd keep him over Watson who they should be able to trade.

Xiao Yao You
06-16-2012, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE]The Utah Jazz have invited six college players, including BYU

Xiao Yao You
06-16-2012, 09:45 AM
English sounds like a good fit. Can shoot, play D, high IQ and was forced to run the point because they had no one else.

Gutierrez is a combo guard that plays D and can handle the ball and pass. Not a great shooter.

Maalik Wayns can run the pick and roll but looking for his own shot, Not a shooter either.

Not sure about Murry?

Better not take the SF or Harstock unless he's going to be stashed overseas. English sounds the most intriguing if Corbin can think out of the box enough to envision him and Burks and Hayward on the court together.

Xiao Yao You
06-16-2012, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE]Tunisian big Salah Mejri (7-foot-1), who was scheduled to play with the New York Knicks at the NBA's Las Vegas Summer League, will attend a workout with N.Y. on June 18, but won

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Steve Luhm: BYU's Noah Hartsock works out for the Jazz just over 2 months after knee surgery. Coach Tyrone Corbin says he played hard, did well. Twitter

Steve Luhm: If the NBA does not work out, Hartsock said he has an offer from a team in Belgium. Also interest from Germany, Spain. Twitter

He should fit well over there.

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Jody Genessy: The Jazz were relieved that DeMarrre Carroll did not have to have offseason surgery on his wrist. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Hartsock came away from Saturday's session particularly impressed by Hummel, a 6-8 forward, and the 6-6 English. The BYU standout said the Purdue big man shot the ball well and lauded the Missouri guard's ballhandling skills.

"I thought that all the guys did a great job of coming and playing hard," Corbin said.

Neither Corbin nor Perrin were about to show the Jazz's hand in what the team is specifically looking for in the June 28 draft, though.

The team will likely host a couple more workouts in the next week or so, but Perrin and Corbin admitted it's harder this year than usual to bring in top-level talent because the Jazz only have a second-round pick.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
"During my career I have worked with many great coaches. I am very pleased that I will have the opportunity to work with Messina" - said Kirilenko. rsport.ru

"Now I have a valid contract with CSKA, and until July 10 it's unlikely I'll be able to tell you anything new about whether I'll go to the NBA or not," Kirilenko said. rsport.ru

Xiao Yao You
06-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Brian T. Smith: Ex-Jazz PG and D-League callup Blake Ahearn is an option for Jazz's #NBA Summer League team. Ahearn's interested, open to the opportunity. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
06-20-2012, 04:22 AM
The Jazz are attempting to hold at least two more player workouts in Salt Lake City prior to the 2012 NBA Draft, which is scheduled June 28 in Newark, N.J.

Utah holds the No. 47 overall selection in the draft.

The organization is still in the process of finalizing details for its planned workouts, and the fact Utah isn't drafting until midway through the second round has somewhat tied its hands. Many NBA agents intentionally overvalue their clients during the buildup to the draft, and some are reluctant to allow their athletes to work out for a team that doesn't have a first-round pick.

With just 10 days remaining before draft day, Utah's only held one workout in SLC. The Jazz watched six players last Saturday, and Missouri guard Kim English was the only athlete expected to be drafted by the end of the second round.

Utah's next workout could occur by Friday. Yale center Greg Mangano and Mississippi State point guard Dee Bost have drawn interest from the Jazz and could be included in a future session.

Better not take a center unless he's going to be stashed away overseas. Sounds like Bost can score and pass out of the pick and roll.

[QUOTE]Utah is prepared to move up in the draft and acquire a first-round pick if a favorable deal is presented. However, a draft some said could be the league's best since 2003

Xiao Yao You
06-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Evans' preference is to stay put. The Jazz drafted him in the second round two years ago as an unheralded player out of Western Kentucky, and he's put on a dazzling display of athleticism and energy in his rare playing opportunities. Deseret News

"I'd love to be back with the Jazz," Evans said. "Hopefully, I'm around for the future

Xiao Yao You
06-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Once free agency starts, Paul Millsap will attempt to negotiate a contract extension with the #UtahJazz. If a deal can't be reached, a variety of options will be explored. The only thing that'll change this is if Millsap is traded before free agency begins July 1. The veteran power forward wants to continue his career with Utah and hopes he can find middle ground with the Jazz. Sulia

Should be at the top of their list.

Josh Howard interested interested in re-signing with #UtahJazz as #NBA free agency approaches Read more › Sulia

Howard has fully recovered from midseason arthroscopic left knee surgery, and he's eyeing a multiyear deal after proving himself in SLC via a one-year contract. "I'm feeling pretty good. I took about a month off and some change, and just got back to it," said Howard, who'll be an unrestricted free agent July 1. "I'm just staying focused. For me, the season ended the way I wanted it to, ultimately. It kind of let me know I was over the hump for my injuries and I was able to get back and help my team as much as possible." Salt Lake Tribune

"I'm still interested in the Jazz. They gave me the opportunity, so that's my loyalty to them, to see what they're going to say," said Howard, who acknowledged Utah met his expectations last season after signing a one-year deal for $2.1 million via the midlevel exception. "But as far as being a free agent and being around the league for a while, I'll have to weigh my options and decide what's best for me at the end of the day." Salt Lake Tribune

Xiao Yao You
06-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Brian T. Smith: Whether Lillard's taken before No. 8 will likely impact any attempt made by Jazz to move up in first round of ‪#NBA‬ draft and select him. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
06-22-2012, 12:38 AM
The Utah Jazz will host Round 2 of their pre-draft workouts on Friday, with six players attending this tryout session at the team's practice facility.

The invited participants include Mississippi State guard Dee Bost (6-2, 176), Alabama forward JaMychal Green (6-8, 228), Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine (6-2, 190), Marquette guard Darius Johnson-Odom (6-2, 215), Iona guard Scott Machado (6-1, 180) and Northwestern forward John Shurna (6-9, 215).

Machado might be a good fit. Can pass and shoot and run the break. Needs help with his half court game, Maybe some time with Stockton?

Xiao Yao You
06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
The Jazz will work out 12 more players on Saturday morning.

The list includes Bowie State center-forward Travis Hyman, French guard Travis Lacombe, Alabama-Huntsville guard Josh Maggette, Yale center Greg Mangano, Maryland guard Terrell Stoglin and Memphis guard-forward Wesley Witherspoon.

Also included will be LSU center Justin Hamilton, Oakland guard Reggie Hamilton, center Negueba Samake from the Republic of Mali, center Greg Somogyi of UC-Santa Barbara, Long Beach State guard Casper Ware and forward Tomislav Zubcic from Croatia.

Stoglin sounds like he can shoot and score. More of an undersized shooting guard that was suspended next year if he hadn't went pro. Doesn't sound like their guy.

Hamilton likes to shoot 3's but not very efficient. Not their guy I'd think either.

Ware sounds pretty good. Can shoot deep and midrange. Fast and athletic. Can run the pick and roll. Very short.

Xiao Yao You
06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
With the draft fast approaching, Utah is exploring every option, despite being quiet on the trade front.

The Jazz have the pieces to move into the first round, if needed. They also have a logjam in the frontcourt that sorely needs to be addressed.

And they also have history, having once moved up to take Deron Williams.
What does it all mean? Could be nothing. Or it could mean a blockbuster deal when least expected.

"Just because we're quiet doesn't mean we're not working," Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor said. "We've been talking to people, and if something comes to fruition, it usually comes on draft day. If that were to happen, it's got to improve our team."

Utah has attractive talent, mainly Paul Millsap, who is one of the better power forwards in the league, and who has a relatively cheap contract.
The Jazz also have a need to find starting minutes for Derrick Favors, who came on strong at the end of his second season.

O'Connor, when asked, stressed that nobody on the roster is "untouchable", if the right offer were to come along.

"When you look at Shaquille O'Neal, and Wilt Chamberlain, those guys were traded," O'Connor said. "If those guys can get traded, nobody is untouchable. We have talent at every position. But we're also trying to improve our team."
Tony Jones

Can't see trading Millsap unless it's for the top pick. LOL!

Xiao Yao You
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor confirmed to the Salt Lake Tribune on Saturday morning that the organization indeed has a team option on small forward DeMarre Carroll, an option the Jazz are still deciding on.
There had been some confusion on this issue. But Carroll emerged from his exit interview with the team confident that he will remain with the organization for next season.

"He should be confident," O'Connor said. "He did a lot of good things for us this year. He hustled, he played defense and he provided a spark."
The Jazz have until June 30th to decide their team option on back-up point guard Jamaal Tinsley. It is believed that Utah has to make a decision on Carroll the same day.

O'Connor, when asked, only said that the day is "coming", in refrence to the decision on Carroll. He added that he liked what both players accomplished in their roles this past season.

Tinsley's fate may be affected by next Thursday's NBA Draft. If the Jazz take a point guard with their second round pick, Tinsley's chances of staying with the organization would significantly drop.

"Jamaal is a pure point guard and he can run a team," O'Connor said. "He was valuable for us this season."

Carroll spent time in the starting lineup this past season, carving a role as a glue guy who didn't need shots to be effective. He came off the bench when Ty Corbin went to his three-big lineup, featuring Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Derrick Favors. Still, he made an impact this season, and proved to a large degree that he is capable of playing in the NBA.
Tony Jones

Unless they make a trade for another vet pg gotta keep Tinsley and Carroll I'd think. Harris, Watson, Bell, CJ are the ones that need to go.

Xiao Yao You
06-23-2012, 03:45 PM
The NBA collective bargaining agreement (“CBA”) that was approved last December contains a few new terms that will directly impact any extension given to Millsap this offseason. First, under the new CBA, veteran extensions are limited to four seasons (including the remaining years on a player’s current contract). Millsap has 1 year remaining on his current deal for approximately $8.6 million. Accordingly, after July 1st, the Jazz will only be able to add a maximum of 3 additional years onto the end of his contract and lock him up through the 2015-16 season.

Second, as a player with 6 years experience in the NBA, the Jazz are limited to giving him a maximum salary that is no more than 25% of the total salary cap. While this number has not yet been calculated for the following league year, most prognosticators estimate the NBA salary cap will be flat for the next few upcoming seasons and end up around $58m. Thus Millsap’s maximum starting salary for an extension would be around $14.5m.

Third, the amount of raises a team can give its own “bird rights” free agents is now only 7.5% versus 10.5% under the previous CBA. Add it all up and the largest extension the Jazz could give Millsap is 3 years and $46.76m (note: this number is only an approximation based on assumptions of the upcoming salary cap and could fluctuate by a few million depending on a number of factors including league wide revenues). Add the projected 3 year salary to his current contract and the Jazz could have Millsap locked up for 4 years (through 2015-16) at $55.36m, for an average of $13.85m a year.

Hopefully he'll take 10-12.

What is Millsap Worth on the Open Market?

The Jazz would have to question whether Millsap is worth a full maximum extension and a total of 4 years at $55.36m in salary. In order to determine what the NBA market would bear, it helps to look at some comparable players who have signed recent contracts or contract extensions.

what the NBA market would bear, it helps to look at some comparable players who have signed recent contracts or contract extensions.

Zach Randolph. (4 years, $66m with 4th year Player Option, signed in 2011-12). Randolph is a better player than Millsap, but probably not by as much as the consensus opinion thinks. Randolph has averaged 17 ppg and 9 rpg for his career, while Millsap has only averaged 12 ppg and 7 rpg. As a starter though Millsap has averaged 17 ppg and 8 rpg over the past 2 seasons, which is fairly comparable to Randolph. Additionally, Millsap is four years younger and does not have the “head case” reputation that Randolph carries with him.

Not sure Randolph would be better for the Jazz though. He's more comparable to Mr. I concede the series to the next World Champs.

David West. (2 years, $20m, signed in 2011-12). Last year West left New Orleans to sign as an unrestricted free agent with the Pacers. He was also coming off a significant knee injury. Many teams appeared to be concerned on whether West could return to full health in 2011-12 and whether he could return to his previous form. West’s career averages are 16 ppg and 7 rpg, which is in Millsap’s ball park. West is also considered a slightly undersized power forward (like Millsap) and is nearly 5 years older than Millsap is.

He's a pretty good comparison if you look at his last contract which I think was actually fairly low like Paul's.

Marc Gasol. (4 years, $57m, signed in 2011-12). Gasol is not the same type of player that Millsap is, but they do put up fairly comparable stat lines. Gasol has averaged 13.1 ppg and 8.1 rpg and was coming off of a 12 ppg, 7 rpg season when he signed his contract extension last year. Gasol is almost the same exact age as Millsap is. Based on the history of the NBA overpaying centers, Gasol likely received a contract premium based on the fact that he measures 7 feet tall.

Based on these contracts and a few others, it is fair to say that Millsap will at least average $10m a season in his next contract. He has relative youth on his size and the next 4 years should be the prime of his career. Additionally, while he may not do any one thing great he is a durable and efficient player with a 2011-12 PER of 21.85. I’d suspect that if Millsap was a free agent this year he would likely command somewhere between $11m-$14m a season, for a four year contract value of approximately $44-$56m.

How Does Millsap Fit Long-term into the Jazz’s Financial Future?

Long-term, the Jazz do not have any significant contractual commitments beyond the 2012-13 season. The team’s next major financial decisions (with guys currently on the roster) will be potential contract extensions (assuming the players earn them) given to Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward and which would kick in during the 2014-15 season. Both Enes Kanter and Alec Burks will also be due contract extensions that would begin in 2015-16. If the Jazz give Millsap a 3 year extension he will be locked up to the team through 2015-16 and his contract will overlap Favors and Hayward by two seasons and Kanter and Burks by one season. Without any significant free agent signings (or similar extensions given to Al Jefferson and Devin Harris), the Jazz would likely be able to afford a market rate contract extension to Millsap under the terms presented above.

And ideally if you don't overpay him you'll be able to trade him if the time comes where Favors/ Kanter/Hayward/etc. make him expendable. Right now he's not as much as everyone loves Favors raw talent.

How Does Millsap Fit Long-term into the Jazz’s On-Court Future?

Perhaps more important on whether the Jazz “can” afford Millsap, is the question on whether the Jazz should pay Millsap an extension of between $11m-$14m per year. While that money is fair compensation for a borderline all-star and starting NBA power forward, the question on whether Millsap is still a starting power forward on the Utah Jazz for the 2012-13 is legitimate.

As of right now most fans have Favors penciled in to start one frontcourt position for the Jazz next year. That leaves Millsap and Jefferson (and maybe Kanter?) to fight for the remaining starting position at either center or power forward. If the Jazz decide that they want Favors to be their starting power forward and Jefferson or Kanter to be their starting center, that likely pushes Millsap to the bench, at which point the team would have a hard time justifying Millsap’s high dollar contract extension.

Have a hard time justifying putting your best player on the bench.

What Happens if Millsap is not Given an Extension?

Now this is the real 50 million dollar question. Kevin O’Connor has gone on record a handful of times over the past year espousing the Jazz’s financial flexibility in the summer of 2013. Assuming the Jazz do not make any major transactions this year, the Jazz could have up to $30m in cap space to pursue free agents. O’Connor seems to be looking forward to this flexibility and may balk at any extension requests for Millsap (or Jefferson or Harris) in order to see what he could do with the salary cap room next offseason.

Yeah maybe he can make another great deal like the one that gave up 3 first rounders and a huge TPE and a big luxury tax payment.

It is because of that desire by O’Connor that the following statement in Brian T. Smith’s article has me concerned: “If a deal can't be reached, a variety of options will be explored.” I am not sure where exactly Smith is getting his information. It seems likely to me that it is a quote from Millsap’s agent or perhaps just a summary of a conversation that they might have had.

In any event, Millsap’s only “real” option is to play out the final year of his contract and test free agency next offseason. However, if you are Millsap’s agent and you want to maximize your client’s value you cannot be optimistic of the chances of your client to increase his value if he is relegated to a bench role on his team during his contract year. It is for that reason that I fear that if Millsap is not given an extension we may see another NBA player issue a trade demand. While it is not the first time this has happened to the Jazz, nor will it be the last time, it certainly is not something that loyal Jazz fans would expect out of a guy like Millsap. I hope for the best that it does not get to that point.

Of course, as the Smith article indicates, all of this would be prevented if Millsap is traded prior to the commencement of the free agency period. That may be the reason we are hearing Millsap’s name pop up in trade rumors as we approach the draft. While most Jazz fans are fond of Millsap and his work ethic, it would appear to me that we may have seen the last of him in a Jazz uniform.

All I can say is they better get some big time help at the one and on the perimeter if they trade him. He might be the most tradable player they have but Harris and Jefferson are the ones that need to go.

Xiao Yao You
06-23-2012, 03:56 PM
"It's a good spot and I feel comfortable here," said Machado, who has now worked out for 16 teams. "Devin Harris does a great job here and they can use someone who knows how to distribute the ball and get everybody involved."

Yep cuz it sure isn't Harris!

Xiao Yao You
06-23-2012, 04:02 PM
The Jazz will welcome 12 more players in two groups today for workouts. Two are foreign players, Paul Lacombe, a 6-5 guard from France and Negueba Samake, a 6-11 center from the Republic of Mali

Lacombe sounds like their type of player. Can pass and run the pick and roll. Could maybe play him with Hayward running the offense.

El Kabong
06-25-2012, 03:00 AM
So supposedly Toronto's #8 pick is up for trade as well as the Rockets wanting to trade Kyle Lowry so Dragic can start. Any interest in either you reckon? Would be silly not to go window shopping and see how much they cost.

Xiao Yao You
06-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said it's possible the Jazz could move up from their second-round position. "We're talking to a lot of people about a lot of things," he said

Sounds like they're talking about the possibilities anyway. Certainly if they can get Lilliard or Marshall and/or someone like Lowry they better consider it at least.

Xiao Yao You
06-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Utah has no first-round picks and had been attempting to land one in order to select Weber State point guard Damian Lillard, according to sources, but it's not known if Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor has made any progress. Milwaukee (No. 12) has considered trading back, and would take a long look at Barton if it did. SI.com

Xiao Yao You
06-26-2012, 03:18 AM
Brian T. Smith: Continue to hear Jazz are open to moving into first round of #NBA draft, listening to offers, making calls, etc. Twitter

El Kabong
06-26-2012, 03:28 AM
At least they're being active I guess. Will hope they make a move to get Lillard, but I guess we'll find out on draft day.

Xiao Yao You
06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
The Blazers, Warriors, Raptors and Hornets are also looking at various options with their picks. I think the Blazers at No. 6 or No. 11 are the likeliest of that bunch to make a trade. They have interest in Jazz forward Paul Millsap and Rockets guard Kyle Lowry. ESPN.com

Warriors could make a lot of sense. Just let them keep their pick in the future. Who wants Jefferson and Harris though?

Xiao Yao You
06-27-2012, 09:20 PM
The #UtahJazz haven't lost interest in moving up in the NBA draft and have continued to talk to teams today. However, after spending the past two weeks eyeing several big-name prospects, Utah doesn't have much "hope" of securing a favorable draft-day deal with about 24 hours remaining before the No. 1 overall selection is made. Sulia

Xiao Yao You
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Fear not, Jazz fans. GM Kevin O'Connor is exploring ways to move up in the draft. They have the Warriors' pick in 2013 (top-six-protected) and veterans like Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson and Devin Harris, and they might even be willing to add another young player (as long as you don't ask for Derrick Favors or Enes Kanter). ESPN.com

The question is, how high can they go? Their presumed target is Weber State's Lillard. They need a point guard and know him better than any team in the league. But if they could get higher and get an even better prospect, they would. They like Beal and Kidd-Gilchrist a lot, too. ESPN.com

I really can't see trading Hayward or Millsap unless you don't think you can get him signed for a fair price. Burks maybe.

Xiao Yao You
06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=21025329&nid=304&title=lillard-to-the-jazz-my-bold-nba-draft-predictions

Predicts Jazz getting Lilliard at 5. Not sure what they give up?

Xiao Yao You
06-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Chris Palmer: Chris Broussard says Raptors may amnesty Jose Calderon to go after Steve Nash. Twitter

Another target for the Jazz. He'd be better than Mo.

Xiao Yao You
06-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Don't see how u take a wing even if he can shoot which looks like might be the only thing he does and from a small college. Still pick up Carroll and Tinsley's options hopefully with the moves.

Xiao Yao You
06-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Jim Burton: My guy PG #ScottMachado went undrafted. IMO, Jazz like him and want to invite him to summer camp/league. Did same with Wes Matthews in 2009. Twitter

He seems a more likely fit for the roster assuming they get rid of Harris and Watson like they should.

Xiao Yao You
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM
David Locke: Kevin O'Connor on Ante Tomic "He needs to explode over there. he makes a lot of money over there " Twitter

Xiao Yao You
06-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Brian T. Smith: O'Connor said he spoke with multiple teams in 20s that tried to move into lottery. No one made traction. Picks worth too much in new CBA. Twitter

El Kabong
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Jazz keeping Tinsley and gave Evans the QO.

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Good moves. Watson and Harris need to go I'd think.

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Jason Jones: The Kings thought they were close to landing Kirilenko last year. Can they sway him this season? Twitter

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Brian T. Smith: Blake Ahearn is still expected to be included on Jazz's Summer League roster. Will play for Utah, then evaluate future. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Paco Rabadan: (Jazz draftee) Ante Tomic will sign with CSKA Moscow next week. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: Undrafted Mississippi State guard Dee Bost is weighing European offers and #NBA Summer League possibilities. Will soon make a decision. Twitter

So is this a step down for Tomic? I realize CSKA is one of the top teams but he was in the 2nd best league in the world in Spain I believe. Taking AK's spot?

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 01:08 AM
[QUOTE]The Jazz? Mostly staying the same.

Utah

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Without factoring in their interest in coming to Utah (or vice-versa), some possible mid-level-range shooters on the market include: Jason Terry (Dallas), Ray Allen (Boston), O.J. Mayo (Memphis), Nick Young (Washington), Danny Green (San Antonio) and Courtney Lee (Houston), among others.

Or, heck, after giving Howard and Tinsley chances to resurrect their careers last season, it's a big stretch but could the Jazz take a flyer on ex-Blazer Brandon Roy?

There's also a stellar European small forward free agent from Russia, who enjoyed his 10-year stay in Utah. It also seems to be a stretch, but could the Jazz and Andrei Kirilenko reunite?

I like the looks of that list a lot better though probably not as realistic. I don't think they need AK anymore.

El Kabong
07-01-2012, 03:01 AM
Defintely still need a long term solution at the PG spot. Williams and Harris can handle it for another year, but I wouldn't like it any longer than that.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm willing to give Mo a shot. He's still young enough to be the guy for a while and playing off Hayward like he did in Cleveland with Lebron might work out great.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Sam Amico: Jazz also may have interest in Kirk Hinrich. Also, keep an eye out for some potential Ray Allen-Thunder buzz. Twitter

Not surprising. Another undersized combo guard that would be best coming off the bench though.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Brian T. Smith: Several #NBA agents have already asked questions about Jazz's trade for Mo Williams. Not sure what Utah's long-term plan is. Twitter

So they already have options. I'd hate to see him go and Harris stay though.

Brian T. Smith: Josh Howard and #UtahJazz have had contact since season ended and sides are expected to initiate free agency conversation today. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: Howard has sincere interest in re-signing with #UtahJazz but will explore all options. Seeking a multiyear deal after 2011-12 resurgence. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Two agents with clients on the 2011-12 Utah team recently told The Salt Lake Tribune they're open to a sign-and-trade if their players don't re-sign with the Jazz. Jazz forward Paul Millsap is expected to seek a new contract worth as much or more than the four-year, $40 million deal Nets forward Gerald Wallace has reportedly agreed to. Salt Lake Tribune

I'd guess that is the minimum he would sign for especially with the Hibbert and Batum deals that are happening. He's better than them and Wallace is older while Millsap is still getting better.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Marc J. Spears: Jazz free agent Josh Howard getting interest from Mavs for Dallas return, source tells Y! Utah, Lakers, Nets, Spurs, Celtics also interested Twitter

Maybe they can get something in a sign and trade? Where's CJ headed?

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Emiliano Carchia: Ettore Messina also said that CSKA Moscow has to replace four players mentioning Andrei Kirilenko so AK47 is on his way to return to the NBA Twitter

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
While all felt the addition of Williams was an upgrade, they also believe Utah likely has another major move to make before its roster is finalized.

I'd hope so. Their roster is a mess again!

[quote]In addition, several agents wondered how the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 11:16 PM
CJ Miles: Great dinner and metting in NYC at Atlantic Grill w/ Coach Carlisle ... Sushi is amazing get the Sweet and Spicy roll!! Twitter

CJ Miles: Can most definitely see why players like and play well for him .. Twitter

Any chance Dallas wants him if his buddy stays in Brooklyn? NJ probably courting him to? He is in NYC.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Brian T. Smith: Obvious via C.J. Miles tweet, but confirmed by league source that former #UtahJazz forward met with Dallas coach Rick Carlisle tonight. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: C.J. Miles has already been contacted by several #NBA teams, source says, and Mavericks have sincere interest in signing him. Twitter

sign and trade?

Xiao Yao You
07-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Miles, who is seeking a multiyear contract, is open to a sign-and-trade involving the Jazz. Such a scenario could allow Utah to add a wing it desires while preserving its full $5 million mid-level exception on another free agent(s).

Dallas like Harris and Howard too.

El Kabong
07-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Shawn Marion would be the only piece the Mavs could give up? No one is taking Haywood.

Xiao Yao You
07-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Vince Carter. He can still shoot.

El Kabong
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Vince Carter. He can still shoot.
He'd be terrible for the Jazz, he probably wouldn't want to be there and would pout / half ass it the entire time.

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 04:54 AM
More change could soon arrive for Utah. The Tribune reported last weekend the Jazz are eyeing a wing scorer during free agency, and Utah still has its full $5 million mid-level exception to spend. After news of the planned Harris trade surfaced Monday, The Tribune learned Utah will remain very active on the trade market and in the attempt to sign players. With everything from sign-and-trade possibilities to multiple expiring contracts in hand, the Jazz are aggressively attempting to improve without overspending during free agency.

Good to hear. Still work to be done!

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 05:19 AM
One name mentioned by one league source Monday was former Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko. After playing last season is his native Russia, Kirilenko has expressed an interest in returning to the NBA and it was long thought he would be looking at Brooklyn as a landing spot. But with the Nets having locked up Gerald Wallace and, apparently, Joe Johnson to go along with current centre Brook Lopez and emerging young guard MarShon Brooks, there would seem to be no room for Kirilenko, the kind of multi-positional big man Colangelo loves. Toronto Star

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Eric Pincus: Andy Roeser, Clipper president, had nothing but positive things to say about Mo Williams and his situation - wasn't Mo's fault LA got CP3 Twitter

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Anthony Davis is reportedly the latest player to suffer an injury that will keep him out of the London Olympics, seemingly opening the possibility that the Jazz's Derrick Favors could be selected to replace him on the 12-man roster for Team USA as it seeks to defend its gold medal. However, a close with direct knowledge of the situation told The Salt Lake Tribune that it's

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Brian T. Smith: Source says, as of right now, it's very unlikely Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins are suddenly added to Team USA to replace Anthony Davis. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Brian T. Smith: Jazz are unlikely to use full MLE on a single player. More likely to split it, like they did last year. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 09:31 PM
#UtahJazz's #NBA Summer League roster includes: Blake Ahearn, Alec Burks, DeMarre Carroll, Enes Kanter, Kevin Murphy, Kyle Weaver, Stephen Graham, Cedric Simmons, John Millsap, Michael Stockton. Sulia

Looks like Weaver put up some good numbers in Eurocup whatever that is. With a German team I think? Graham played well in the D-league even hitting 3's now! They might have a shot depending on how things go with FA's. Jazz still need another veteran wing I'd think. Why not Elijiah Millsap instead of John? He's actually a decent looking prospect.

Simmons looks like he's improved playing in Spain. Anyone remember if he did anything last time he was on the summer league roster a couple years ago? He might have a shot especially if Evans is gone.

Stockton and Ahearn are the best pg prospects they could come up with?

El Kabong
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Looks like Weaver put up some good numbers in Eurocup whatever that is. With a German team I think? Graham played well in the D-league even hitting 3's now! They might have a shot depending on how things go with FA's. Jazz still need another veteran wing I'd think. Why not Elijiah Millsap instead of John? He's actually a decent looking prospect.

Simmons looks like he's improved playing in Spain. Anyone remember if he did anything last time he was on the summer league roster a couple years ago? He might have a shot especially if Evans is gone.

Stockton and Ahearn are the best pg prospects they could come up with?
Michael any relation to John?

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE]With a soft southern accent, Williams rattled off names such as Alec Burks, Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Paul Millasp and Al Jefferson without hesitation. Williams then spoke in detail about each player

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
It;s his son. He's been playing in German second division I believe. Played in SLC at Westminster College. Got another son that is the back-up pg at Gonzaga.

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
The Jazz's Summer League roster is expected to include Blake Ahearn, Alec Burks, DeMarre Carroll, Enes Kanter, Kevin Murphy, Kyle Weaver, Stephen Graham, Cedric Simmons, John Millsap and Michael Stockton.

John Millsap is the brother of Jazz forward Paul Millsap, while Michael Stockton is the son of Hall of Fame point guard John Stockton.

Also on the roster: Tony Gaffney, Mike Green, Justin Knox, Salah Mejri, Henry Sims and Deron Washington.

Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said last week he expects assistant Sidney Lowe to be the primary Summer League coach. Corbin and Utah General Manager Kevin O'Connor are expected to attend.

Utah will play five games from July 9-13 in Orlando, Fla., following a camp that runs Friday through Sunday in Maitland, Fla.
Schedule

Amway Center in Orlando, Fla.
TV: NBA TV
Monday, 1 p.m. (MT) at Detroit
Tuesday, 9 a.m. vs. Philadelphia
Wednesday, 3 p.m. at Orlando
Thursday, 1 p.m. vs. Indiana
Friday, 6 a.m. at Oklahoma City

Brian T. Smith

Looks like Gaffney has some skills. Undersized. Mike Green is a pg. Can't shoot. Looks like he gets to the line. Knox is undrafted. Not much of a prospect it looks like. Salah Mejri is a big skinny Tunisian. Sims sounds like a skilled big man. Undrafted. Looks like Washington played in Spain not too impressively.

Xiao Yao You
07-04-2012, 05:42 AM
What happened to Trey Johnson? He sounded interesting. A combo guard with wing size.

Xiao Yao You
07-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Ettore Messina: "There are four players in (CSKA's) roster who have until July 15th to decide if they go to the NBA: Shved, Vorontsevich, Kirilenko and Krstic" Rusia Hoy

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Andrei Kirilenko: "Francisco Garcia said that he wants me to go to Sacramento. I replied 'Let's wait until the 11th'" Sport Express

Could be a good fit. He could start. He doesn't need shots. They need vets. Smart plays Nellie ball. Sign and trade for Jimmer?

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2012, 11:02 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/7/5/3137491/why-the-jazz-should-sign-paul-millsap-to-a-10-million-per-year#storyjump

Seems like a no brainer to me.

El Kabong
07-05-2012, 01:45 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/7/5/3137491/why-the-jazz-should-sign-paul-millsap-to-a-10-million-per-year#storyjump

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Same here, can't see why anyone wouldn't want him for $10 million a year.

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Ric Bucher: Source: teams still w/ a shot at Mayo (Mavs, Rockets, Pacers, Clippers, Knicks and Suns) + Kaman (Mavs, Pacers, Spurs, Kings and Jazz) Twitter

Interesting. You'd think Jefferson would have to go if they got Kaman no? Maybe a sign and trade? Rather have Mayo I think though.

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Center Ante Tomic has reportedly signed a three-year contract with FC Barcelona. The 7-foot-2, 220-pound Croatian big man was drafted No. 44 overall by the Jazz in 2008, but never played a game for Utah. A message left for Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor on Thursday was not immediately returned. Sulia

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Ex-Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko is "50-50" about returning to the NBA for the 2012-13 season, a league source with direct knowledge of the situation told The Salt Lake Tribune on Thursday. Salt Lake Tribune

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
David Aldridge: League source says Utah forward Jeremy Evans will stay with Jazz on a three-year deal worth around $5.5 million. Twitter

More money committed to next year. Good value for the end of the bench. I think he might be better off elsewhere though. He looks like he can contribute in the league and he doesn't appear to have much of a future in Utah with the guys ahead of him. Should be in Summer League.

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Brian T. Smith: Ex-#UtahJazz center Mehmet Okur at 95-percent health and wants to continue #NBA career. No signing imminent, but could ink deal with a team after the season starts. Understands he's a big who can drill 3s, and there's always a need for that in playoffs. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2012, 06:17 PM
David Locke: Talk to an NBA coach last night about Marvin Williams "He is a legitimate starting 3, better shooter than people think, strong rebounder" Twitter

I see him more as a 6th man as the roster stands now.

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2012, 06:19 PM
John Canzano: Vulcan source: Paul Allen "livid" with Minnesota's pursuit of Nic Batum. Feels they're in this only to drive Portland's price higher. Twitter

Funny considering what they did to the Jazz not once but twice.

El Kabong
07-06-2012, 11:11 PM
I see him more as a 6th man as the roster stands now.
Yep, give Hayward consistent starter minutes and bring Willams off the bench.

Funny considering what they did to the Jazz not once but twice.
Karma. Not that I believe in it, it's just funny to see stuff like that happen to Portland since they've done it twice to the Jazz and also tried to pull that crap with threatening to sue anyone who signed Darius Miles.

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Yeah I figured there were some other instances. I'd forgotten about that Darius shit.

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2012, 03:04 AM
Notes from an interview Friday with Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin.
Corbin said Utah 2012 second-round draft pick Kevin Murphy is a "scorer." During the initial three days of Summer League camp this week near Orlando, Fla., Murphy immediately impressed with his ability to quickly get off shots and his understanding of how to play in a pro-style offense. The former Tennessee Tech guard is also longer and taller than Corbin thought he'd be.

Can't imagine him not being at the end of the bench though if the carry him though.

Second-year Jazz players Alec Burks and Enes Kanter are in excellent shape, following recent appearances at P3, a high-performance training facility in Santa Barbara, Calif.
Corbin said Utah plans to keep all 16 players in camp on its Summer League roster. But the Jazz will primarily play athletes on their official roster during next week's games

That's what 4 players?

which run from July 9-13 in Orlando.
Corbin will watch contests from the bench and stands but won't coach, relying on a rotating crew of assistants to run the team.
Corbin wouldn't comment about specific Jazz personnel changes because of the ongoing free agency moratorium period. However, he acknowledged Utah has already made a couple positive moves on paper and he likes the direction the Jazz are heading.
Corbin expects Utah's 2012-13 offense to mostly remain the same. But he expects to make some changes to the team's pick-and-roll defense, which was a liability throughout 2011-12. Alterations could be based off personnel changes, Corbin said.

Jefferson going soon?

Lastly, Corbin said it's an honor for the Jazz to have Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors practicing with the U.S. men's basketball team in Las Vegas.

Brian T. Smith

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Tommy Beer: If Knicks still shopping for a SG - some potential targets?: Danny Green, Carlos Delfino, Courtney Lee, Shannon Brown, CJ Miles, Mike Redd Twitter

They could be a good sign and trade partner. They've got a couple un guaranteed contracts they could trade. CJ would be the last guy I'd want on that list but if JR Smith has the IQ for their Iso offense than CJ might do well.

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE]It

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2012, 02:41 AM
The Magic are expected to interview Utah Jazz assistant coach Jeff Hornacek and Phoenix Suns player development coach Lindsey Hunter soon. Hornacek's candidacy was reported first by The Salt Lake Tribune. Hunter's previously was reported by WKMG. Orlando Sentinel

Steve Luhm: Jazz assistant Jeff Hornacek has emerged as a candidate for the head coaching job in Orlando, the Tribune has learned. More to come. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: #UtahJazz assistant Jeff Hornacek on Orlando Magic's interest in him for team's head coaching position: "If that's the case, then while I'm in Orlando and they want to talk to me, that'd be great." Twitter

I think he'll be a good one someday.

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2012, 03:30 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54455647-62/free-jazz-trade-million.html.csp

Don't seem like very realistic trades but could be interesting. Doubt CJ is going to get the kind of money to make these deals work and Richardson it sounds like will go in the Howard bonanza. Rip could be a great fit if he can stay healthy and still has anything left in the tank though.

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor declined comment when asked about Raja Bell's pending buyout. O'Connor said Utah continues to explore its options during free agency. The Jazz are open to sign-and-trade possibilities, but O'Connor said they're always easier said than done. He also didn't rule out Utah re-signing unrestricted free agents C.J. Miles and/or Josh Howard.

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2012, 10:29 AM
One intriguing option would be swingman C.J. Miles, an unrestricted free agent who has started for the Jazz and could add athleticism. Chicago Tribune

You can have him! Throw Earl in on a sign and trade and maybe it would be enough to get Korver back? Not sure I want Korver though. Brewer might be ok but he made more sense with Okur.

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Brian T. Smith: All indications are meeting went well between Hornacek and Magic. Still early in the process, though. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: Jeff Hornacek declined comment when asked about his meeting with Orlando Magic. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Brian T. Smith: Jeremy Evans just signed a three-year, $5.5 million deal. Came down to #SummerLeague on own time, just to be around team and work out. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: Jeremy Evans still warming up. Asked if he's playing, shakes his head, smiles and says, "Naw." Working up a sweat, though. #SummerLeague Twitter

Why isn't he playing? He needs it more than Demarre.

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Jazz guard Earl Watson watched the game from the bench. Watson said he began jogging Wednesday, plans to resume basketball activities in August, and hopes to be at 100-percent health for the start of training camp.

Hopefully he'll be 100% for another team.

El Kabong
07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
You can have him! Throw Earl in on a sign and trade and maybe it would be enough to get Korver back? Not sure I want Korver though. Brewer might be ok but he made more sense with Okur.
Looks like Korver might be headed to Portland.

Brewer didn't get his option picked up by the Bulls, although he did say they might re-sign him if he takes a paycut. Reckon he'd be an option to replace Raja Bell?

Xiao Yao You
07-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Brewer might make more sense if they get rid of Jefferson in the paint. He did his work around the basket and made a lot of sense when Okur was planted on the 3 point line. Hayward, Marvin, Brewer and Demarre on the wing would be nice defensively.

Xiao Yao You
07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Brian T. Smith: DeMarre Carroll (left ankle sprain) will attempt to play against Pacers. ... Salah Mejri is no longer with #UtahJazz's #SummerLeague team Twitter

What about Sims? Says he's on the Bulls roster in Vegas.

Xiao Yao You
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Marc Stein: Mark Bartelstein, agent for Calderon, confirms to ESPN that trade talks underway. He & Raps prez Colangelo "working together" to find deal Twitter

Jefferson/Watson for Calderon and Johnson? Works without Johnson too. Jazz would get a nice trade exception it looks like as well. Maybe get another team(s) involved if Toronto doesn't want Jefferson.

Xiao Yao You
07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Evan Dunlap: All-Summer-League 1st team: Alec Burks, Lance Stephenson, Austin Daye, Andrew Nicholson, Miles Plumlee Twitter

Pretty good considering his first and last games kind of sucked. They were talking like he was the best player there. Should have been one of the best. A couple rookie big men making it over Kanter though. Kendall Gill mentioned Stockton as one of the guys that stood out because of his D. All defensive team he said. I think he said best defensive guard. I think they should be looking to get him. I'm sure his buyout from a second division German squad is minimal. Not like dad couldn't foot the bill anyway.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Tony Mejia: Lindsey Hunter & Michael Curry share Pistons ties with Asst. GM Scott Perry. While also in mix for #Magic HC job, Hornacek//Vaughn top list. Twitter

Two former Jazzmen in the lead.

Xiao Yao You
07-17-2012, 03:38 AM
[QUOTE]Utah Jazz

Xiao Yao You
07-17-2012, 02:51 PM
With Grant Hill to Clippers, Raja Bell to Heat remains a possibility, a player more likely to accept measured minutes in Heat's clogged perimeter rotation. Sulia

Xiao Yao You
07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE]The Reno Bighorns will be Utah

Xiao Yao You
07-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Raja Bell

Xiao Yao You
07-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Is it really possible that Andrei Kirilenko could join the Nets at this late stage of free agency? He says it is! During a break in Olympic training Thursday, the 6'9" forward was asked by a Russian reporter about his professional future. - One can not ask about your club career? When will you make a final decision? - I do not know. Before me is a very serious dilemma. There are several scenarios. - Is one of them - "Brooklyn Nets"? - Maybe "Brooklyn Nets", and perhaps with CSKA Moscow .. (http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/7/20/3171603/kirilenko-still-possible). NetsDaily (http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/7/20/3171603/kirilenko-still-possible)

(http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/7/20/3171603/kirilenko-still-possible)
Net Daily: AK-47 Still Possible for #Nets? He Says So! (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) http://sbn.to/MpUPUz Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

CakeorDeath
07-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Jazz and Randy Foye agree to one year deal. Solid backup PG.

Xiao Yao You
07-24-2012, 03:06 AM
He's played pg but he's more an undersized 2. They could run him at the one with Hayward as the point forward though.

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Andrew Wojnarowski: Several league executives believe Minnesota
is pursuing free agent Andrei Kirilenko. He's no longer considering
Brooklyn, (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/227927979823616000) sources say. Twitter (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/227927979823616000)

Jerry Zgoda: Per @WojYahooNBA earlier tweets, league sources confirm Wolves are targeting
Kirilenko, perhaps at $9M a season for at least 2 years (http://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/statuses/227932323071549440) Twitter (http://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/statuses/227932323071549440)

Adelman's offense could be great for him.

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2012, 12:56 AM
The free-agent season continues to run its course and one of the most curious
players to fall through the cracks so far has been C.J. Miles. The Skyline product, who has spent his
entire career with Utah, is scheduled to visit with the Cleveland Cavaliers this
week, (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/07/c-j-miles-still-looking-for-a-job-cleveland-a-possibility.html/) although there has been no contract offered. Dallas Morning News (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/07/c-j-miles-still-looking-for-a-job-cleveland-a-possibility.html/)

Not sure CJ is up to the Princeton offense though? As a young vet he might be able to fit in.

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Steve Luhm: Jazz
GM Kevin O'Connor talked to Randy Foye's agent "every 2 or 3 days" since July
1 (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) before veteran guard signed with Utah on Monday night. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2012, 03:57 AM
(http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)New Orleans and Phoenix discussed a similar
four-team trade last week, with Boston and Houston replacing Minnesota, but the
Suns pulled out as the deal fell apart. (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade) That's when the Timberwolves
entered the picture. (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)

The (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)Timberwolves are targeting former NBA
All-Star Andrei Kirilenko and are willing to pay the free-agent small forward as
much as $9 million per season for at least the next two seasons, (http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/163646226.html)
league sources said Tuesday. To clear enough cap space to do so, they reportedly
plan to trade forward Wes Johnson, their No. 4 overall pick in the 2010 draft.
(http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)Minneapolis Star-Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/163646226.html)

Jerry Zgoda: (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)Kirilenko
is under contract with CSKA Moscow thru 2014 but agent Marc Fleisher says he has
a "small" buyout that allows NBA return now (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Jerry Zgoda: (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)Agent
Marc Fleisher wouldn't comment on any interest from Wolves (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) or any
other NBA teams pursuing n AK-47 (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Denver is among the teams interested in
signing Andrei Kirilenko (http://www.sports.ru/basketball/142206187.html) (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)Sports.ru (http://www.sports.ru/basketball/142206187.html)

(http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8197304/source-minnesota-timberwolves-phoenix-suns-new-orleans-hornets-discussing-trade)Denver would be a nice fit for him I'd think too. He'll play a larger role in Minny than Boston or Denver. Houston he'd play a big role too but they won't be as good as Minny.

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Lang Greene: Utah Jazz forward Paul Millsap is extremely pleased with the team's acquisitions this summer. (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) Article coming tomorrow morning. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Xiao Yao You
07-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Jody Genessy: Guard
Randy Foye just arrived in Utah from New Jersey. He said joining the Jazz was a
"no-brainer" decision for him and his wife (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Steve Luhm: Foye
also talked to New York, Milwaukee, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)
-- "Any team that needed a two-guard." Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

A no-brainer because they offered him the most money, the biggest role, the best fit for his talents?

Sounds like he considers himself a 2. Everyone seems to think he will be the back-up 1 though. If he ends up as the back-up to Mo I'd say start Burks and bring G off the bench with Foye to faciltate the offense. Mo could use G too but wouldn't need him as much. Marvin looks like the starter with this move unless they go with Paul which makes little sense to me but Jefferson still being on the roster doesn't either.

Xiao Yao You
07-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Foye comes in as an experienced combo guard, having played both the point and
shooting guard, giving the Jazz yet another veteran ballhandler along with Mo
Williams, Jamaal Tinsley and Earl Watson (http://www.deseretnews.com/topics/2155/Earl-Watson.html). But he played
mostly shooting guard (his preference) while filling in for Chauncey Billups and
helping the Clippers make it to the second round of the Western Conference
playoffs.

From the Tribune. Prefers shooting guard. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

Xiao Yao You
07-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Marc J. Spears: Jazz free agent forward Josh
Howard expected to make a decision soon, source tell Y! Sports. Utah, IND, GS,
BK and NY in mix (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Surprised Utah is still in the mix. He'll have a better chance of playing elsewhere I'd think. Jazz can pay more than some of those teams though

Xiao Yao You
07-30-2012, 07:12 AM
According to league sources, the Warriors' reported
interest in free agent SF Josh Howard is, at the very least, minimal. Golden State's focus is still on landing a
back-up power forward, with Carl Landry atop the wishlist (http://sulia.com/channel/golden-state-warriors/f/171529a0-36f8-42ab-a33e-0fe8f8287c2a/?source=twitter). Sulia (http://sulia.com/channel/golden-state-warriors/f/171529a0-36f8-42ab-a33e-0fe8f8287c2a/?source=twitter)

To be sure, some in the front office do like Josh Howard's
game. But something would have to go wrong in the Brandon Rush saga for the Warriors to have serious interest in a small forward (http://sulia.com/channel/golden-state-warriors/f/171529a0-36f8-42ab-a33e-0fe8f8287c2a/?source=twitter). Sulia (http://sulia.com/channel/golden-state-warriors/f/171529a0-36f8-42ab-a33e-0fe8f8287c2a/?source=twitter)

Unrestricted free agent forward Josh Howard has narrowed down his options
to 4-5 teams, a league source told The Salt Lake Tribune on Sunday, and the Jazz
are still near the top of his list (http://sulia.com/channel/utah-jazz/f/3193427b-e423-4096-985b-e60e7c97a1b4/?source=twitter). "He's still going through the
process," the source said. Sulia (http://sulia.com/channel/utah-jazz/f/3193427b-e423-4096-985b-e60e7c97a1b4/?source=twitter)

He feels loyal to the small-market organization, which took
a chance on the once injury-plagued forward during the lockout-shortened 2011-12
season. As a result, Howard has kept his eyes on
the Jazz ever since free agency started July 1. "They're still in his mind," the
source said (http://sulia.com/channel/utah-jazz/f/3193427b-e423-4096-985b-e60e7c97a1b4/?source=twitter). Sulia

Got to wonder if he's still on the Jazz's minds though?

Xiao Yao You
07-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Bill Ingram: For those asking, Scott
Machado has a camp invite from Houston, but the Rockets aren't his only
option (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

He could be good for the Jazz I'd think. I'd like to Stockton in camp.

Xiao Yao You
07-31-2012, 02:52 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54592790-87/jazz-oct-bell-buyout.html.csp

Raja not signing the buyout.

El Kabong
07-31-2012, 06:40 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54592790-87/jazz-oct-bell-buyout.html.csp

Raja not signing the buyout.
My initial thought was he wants to go to Miami, but they've told him they can't sign him due to cap restrictions, so he's holding out for a trade there.

Xiao Yao You
08-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Brian T. Smith: C.J. Miles considering signing one or two-year deal with Lakers, (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) source says, likely for mini mid-level. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Brian T. Smith: Miles' other options are strong, but Lakers have current edge (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Brian T. Smith: C.J. Miles continues to explore free agent options and has narrowed decision to a few teams. Could sign in next 2-3 days (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Kupchack said he didn't want to use it. Hard to believe they think CJ is worth it especially in the Princeton offense.

Xiao Yao You
08-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Probably more like no one wants him so he doesn't want to give up any money. Him wanting to play for Miami and them wanting him are two different things. Last I read Riley wanted to go into camp with what he had and leave a couple spots open for free agents to make the team. You'd think someone like Darko would be ahead of Raja on their list.

Xiao Yao You
08-01-2012, 02:47 AM
The Jazz have been presented with sign-and-trade options for Miles, but none of the deals have thus far gained traction.

El Kabong
08-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Probably more like no one wants him so he doesn't want to give up any money. Him wanting to play for Miami and them wanting him are two different things. Last I read Riley wanted to go into camp with what he had and leave a couple spots open for free agents to make the team. You'd think someone like Darko would be ahead of Raja on their list.
Yea, that's the more likely scenario. Still, he better not bitch and moan about playing time if he doesn't accept a buyout.

Xiao Yao You
08-01-2012, 05:38 AM
No he better accept his role at the end of the bench or retire. I doubt that would happen. They'd probably have to make him stay home since they can't amnesty him now. I do think he could help someone still.

Xiao Yao You
08-01-2012, 07:20 AM
But (the Cavs) still need someone else, and they are looking at unrestricted free agents Carlos Delfino and C.J. Miles. (http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2012/07/pluto_talkin_7-29-12.html) Delfino is 6-6, 230 pounds and averaged 9.0 points and 3.9 rebounds for Milwaukee in 2011-12. He has been in the league for seven years, and is mostly a 3-point specialist. Nearly 50 percent of his shots from beyond the arc. Last season, he shot 40 percent from field and 36 percent on 3-pointers for Milwaukee. Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2012/07/pluto_talkin_7-29-12.html)

Xiao Yao You
08-02-2012, 02:09 AM
http://ox-d.sbnation.com/w/1.0/ri?ts=0c2lkPTMzMzh8YXVpZD0yMDY2MXxhaWQ9MTcxMjQ1fHB 1Yj0zOTcwfGxpZD0xMDQzMjN8dD00fHJpZD01NTMzZmUxMS02Y TY2LTQzNTUtYjM0Zi03YWU4MDYyMjQ3YjB8b2lkPTg4NzF8Ym0 9QlVZSU5HLk5PTkdVQVJBTlRFRUR8cGM9VVNEfHA9NTAwfGFjP VVTRHxwbT1QUklDSU5HLkNQTXxydD0xMzQzODg3MzcxfHByPTU wMHxhZHY9NDUwNg&cb=83119841

Jazz Derrick Favors reveals plans to work with Karl Malone amongst other goodies from twitter Q and A with Fans! (http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/8/1/3213378/jazz-derrick-favors-reveals-plans-to-work-with-karl-malone-amongst)

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/profile_images/699676/AllThatAmar_NEW_tiny.png by AllThatAmar (http://www.sbnation.com/users/AllThatAmar) on Aug 1, 2012 1:30 PM MDT (http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/8/1/3213378/jazz-derrick-favors-reveals-plans-to-work-with-karl-malone-amongst) in Utah Jazz - News & Interviews (http://www.slcdunk.com/section/utah-jazz-news)

(http://www.slcdunk.com/section/utah-jazz-news)
Earlier today Utah Jazz (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/utah-jazz) forward Derrick Favors (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/111982/derrick-favors) (with the help of Matt Sanchez @_MattSanchez (https://twitter.com/_MattSanchez)) "took over" the Utah Jazz Official Twitter account and had an extended Question and Answer session with fans. Lucky Jazz fans got some classic "That's so Derrick..." type of answers. Derrick talked about what he sees for the Jazz future; where he thinks he can be as a player in a few seasons; the differences between New Jersey and Utah; the Olympics; movies and music; his pre-game ritual of eating at Subway; his 39" vertical jump; and if he likes chocolate milk or not.
All in all it was a fun morning and Billy Lea (http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/author/blea/) (@BillyLea (https://twitter.com/billylea)) uploaded the full transcript here (http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2012/08/01/transcript-derrick-favors-takes-over-utahjazz-2/). Great work guys.
And remember . . .

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1271154/D_Fav_QA_Malone_medium.PNG

Cool! What about Kanter? He could learn a lot too.

Xiao Yao You
08-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Brian T. Smith: Initial
contract extension negotiations between Paul Millsap and the #UtahJazz began
this week, (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) @sltrib has learned. #NBA Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Brian T. Smith: Talks between Jazz and Millsap were
positive and both sides would like to keep him in a Utah uniform. However, all indications are Millsap will become an
unrestricted free agent July 2013 and fully explore his options (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Brian T. Smith: The
Jazz made an initial extension offer to Millsap for three years at about $25
million, the most possible under new CBA rules. (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) Millsap isn't
expected to accept the offer, and is prepared to enter training camp with
knowledge he'll become a free agent in less than a year. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Brian T. Smith: Millsap
and the Jazz have options moving forward. He could remain long term with Utah,
sign elsewhere or be traded: (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) nothing's certain. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

That blows! Can only give him 8 millions a year. Portland stuck it to us again with that damn contract it looks like. Wonder how Big Al feels about them not having extention talks with him? He's worth twice that based on the contracts given out this summer. Other than Deron was there anyone better out there?

Xiao Yao You
08-04-2012, 06:15 PM
By signing Millsap to an extension or retaining
him as a high-priced free agent next summer, Utah could set itself up for
another Kirilenko-like scenario: paying star-player money to an athlete who
regularly comes off the bench. In a proactive effort that represents the Jazz's
desire to keep Millsap but retain future financial flexibility, the Jazz have
already begun examining which teams could afford to pay Millsap the $10 million
to $14 million average salary he's expected to seek if he becomes a free
agent.

It better be someone with a hell of a point guard to give up is all I can say!

Xiao Yao You
08-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reported (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/232552033020940288)
Monday

(https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/232552033020940288) that longtime Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor is moving (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/232552033020940288)
into a top executive position with Utah and leading the search to hire a new
GM.

A high-ranking Jazz source confirmed the
report. The source told The Salt Lake Tribune there has recently been
"talk in the organization" that O'Connor plans to turn the GM title over to
someone else, but nothing has been made official.

Messages left Monday for O'Connor and Jazz
president Randy Rigby weren't immediately returned.

A Jazz spokeswoman was unaware of O'Connor's
reported move.

Wojnarowski reported that Oklahoma City's
Troy Weaver was targeted for the job but will stay with the Thunder. San
Antonio's Dennis Lindsey and Cleveland's David Griffin have also reportedly
drawn interest.

Brian T. Smith

Twitter: @tribjazz

(https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/232552033020940288)
This could be good!

Xiao Yao You
08-06-2012, 05:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--jazz-gm-kevin-o-connor-promoted--team-looking-for-replacement.html

Guess Scot Layden isn't a candidate for his old gig after what happened in NY and the fact that his dad isn't in charge anymore.

Xiao Yao You
08-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Brian T. Smith: Carroll isn't concerned about Jazz's
overload at 3/4. Corbin told him starting spots are up for grabs and Carroll's
shooting for one (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Carroll plays the 4? I could see Marvin there before Carroll. Carroll and Evans look to be energy guys at the end of the bench I'd think unless injuries or trades change things. Hopefully the new GM moves Jefferson ASAP!

Xiao Yao You
08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Mike Monroe: Source familiar with Dennis Lindsey's talks w/ Jazz confirms he is about to become Utah GM, (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) as the great @Adrian Wojnarowski just reported. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Brian T. Smith: #UtahJazz announce they're holding a press conference at 10 a.m. Tuesday that's "front-office related." (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) Still no comment on Lindsey as GM. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Xiao Yao You
08-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Josh Robbins: The #Magic received a $17.8 million traded
player exception in the deal, (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) Hennigan said. Magic will have 1 year
to use it. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Al Jefferson anyone?

Xiao Yao You
08-11-2012, 10:02 AM
KOC has confirmed the reports, saying, "We're continuing to talk to Josh. It
really depends physically on how his leg and legs are doing."

So maybe he'll have to settle for the Jazz with no guarantee of PT? That's the only way I could see signing him him beause there doesn't appear to be playing time for him unless they bench Burks again and that doesn't seem like a wise plan but than again Jefferson still being on the team doesn't either.

Xiao Yao You
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Before forward Ryan Anderson joined New
Orleans July 11 via a sign-and-trade, the Jazz were involved in talks to acquire
the former Orlando sharpshooter, (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54688120-62/anderson-jazz-utah-forward.html.csp) The Salt Lake Tribune has learned.
(http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54688120-62/anderson-jazz-utah-forward.html.csp)Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54688120-62/anderson-jazz-utah-forward.html.csp)
[/URL][URL="http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54688120-62/anderson-jazz-utah-forward.html.csp"]To acquire Anderson, Utah likely would have
been forced to give up power forward Paul Millsap. While the Jazz were
interested in Anderson and considered making the deal, Utah ultimately backed
off. (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54688120-62/anderson-jazz-utah-forward.html.csp) Anderson was later sent to New Orleans, and the Jazz addressed
their perimeter needs by signing unrestricted free agent guard Randy Foye on
July 23. Utah also traded for small forward Marvin Williams during early July.
(http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54688120-62/anderson-jazz-utah-forward.html.csp)Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54688120-62/anderson-jazz-utah-forward.html.csp)
(http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54688120-62/anderson-jazz-utah-forward.html.csp)They really miss Okur that much? He at least rebounds. I could see if it was for Jefferson maybe.

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2012, 03:57 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/8/14/3242582/utah-jazz-defense-month-the-beginning#storyjump

Here's a good breakdown for anyone that's still not convinced Al has to go ASAP.

El Kabong
08-15-2012, 05:40 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/8/14/3242582/utah-jazz-defense-month-the-beginning#storyjump

Here's a good breakdown for anyone that's still not convinced Al has to go ASAP.
Would be interesting to see the stats on the P&R defense when Jefferson is on the court compared to when he's sitting on the bench.

Xiao Yao You
08-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Brian T. Smith: Signing Kevin Murphy would bring Utah's
roster to 15, since Raja Bell hasn't been bought out and is still under contract
with Jazz (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

I'd hope it's not fully guaranteed so they have some flexibility especially if they are really going to sign Howard still. Raja is still on the roster too! With the new GM coming from the Spurs they might actually take advantage of the D-League. Will take a lot of injuries for Murphy to find PT or even get out of a suit. Making him go to Europe would be a Spurs move too.

Xiao Yao You
08-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Djordje Matic: Red star signed Morris Almond!!! (http://twitter.com/DjordjeMatic/status/237233718794792961) More at http://www.novosti.rs Twitter (http://twitter.com/DjordjeMatic/status/237233718794792961)

Xiao Yao You
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
[quote]On Enes Kanter not playing on the national team in 2012, [URL="http://www.ballineurope.com/us-basketball/nba/bogan-tanjevic-enes-kanter-nba-coaches-6433/"][COLOR=#000080]Tanjevic said that

Xiao Yao You
08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
[quote]C.J. Miles did what was asked of him for seven years with the Utah Jazz, which often meant playing a secondary role behind stars such as Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams. Part of the reason he chose the Cavaliers in free agency this summer was the opportunity to expand his game.

Xiao Yao You
08-27-2012, 09:47 AM
[URL="http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-miles-ready-to-fight-for-playoff-berth/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nba-am-miles- ready-to-fight-for-playoff-berth"][COLOR=#000080]

Xiao Yao You
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765599682/Utah-Jazz-Scott-Layden-to-interview-for-Spurs-assistant-GM-position.html?pg=2

Would be an interesting trade of GM's. Open up a coaching slot too.

Xiao Yao You
08-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Once the marquee event of All-Star Weekend, the NBA's dunk contest has seen its popularity dip in recent seasons as superstars opt against participating and competitors increasingly rely on gimmicks instead of aerial artistry. Nevertheless, the contest is not without its charms. In the midst of a rather dull 2012 entry in Orlando, Utah Jazz big man Jeremy Evans wowed the crowd at least once on his way to the title. Evans is a great dunker, clearly, and it'd take a lot to beat him in any competition. Surprisingly, though, he was bested by Kristaps Dargais during a recent dunk contest appearance in Riga, Latvia (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/slam-dunk-champ-jeremy-evans-loses-contest-latvia-001550544--nba.html). Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/slam-dunk-champ-jeremy-evans-loses-contest-latvia-001550544--nba.html)

Xiao Yao You
08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Mehmet Okur, perhaps the best available center, is seeking more than the minimum. A source close to him said the Wolves are a "long shot" to secure his services (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Wolves_expected_to_make_a_few_more_moves_before_tr aining_camp_opens082812). ESPN.com (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Wolves_expected_to_make_a_few_more_moves_before_tr aining_camp_opens082812)

Xiao Yao You
08-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Marc J. Spears: Free agent F Josh Howard, a Winston Salem native, has
been working out with Charlotte this week, sources tell Y! CHI, NY amongst
interested (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

I guess the Jazz can't do anything while they are still stuck with Raja.

Xiao Yao You
08-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Brian Schmitz: The Magic also announced that Gordon Chiesa has been named special consultant to the head coach (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Xiao Yao You
09-01-2012, 07:02 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54810573-87/jazz-layden-general-manager.html.csp

I'm thinking this could improve the coaching staff. Ty can get another one of his guys in there ideally a big man coach I'd think. Sanders could move to the bench.

Xiao Yao You
09-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Free agent guard Blake Ahearn and the Indiana Pacers have agreed to a deal, (http://*********.com/articles/sierra/pacers-to-sign-blake-ahearn) one source told *********. Ahearn, mostly known as a shooter, finished the 2011-12 season with the Jazz after getting called up from the D-League. ********* (http://*********.com/articles/sierra/pacers-to-sign-blake-ahearn)

Xiao Yao You
09-02-2012, 07:25 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765601086/New-Jazz-GM-Dennis-Lindsey-knows-his-stuff-when-it-comes-to-evaluating-players.html?pg=5

[QUOTE]

He was one of the first guys to start using the computer (for evaluating
players). He was doing that 'Moneyball' stuff

Xiao Yao You
09-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Enes Kanter: Last night in Chicago. Time to burn it down one more time baby! JK.
Tomorrow off to L.A. to work with Kiki
Vandeweghe @ 360 Performance (http://*********.com/twitter/players.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/players.html)

Work on his shooting?

Xiao Yao You
09-02-2012, 01:09 PM
David Locke: One
name to consider for Jazz assistant - Eric Musselman. (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) His late father
was Ty's head coach in Minnesota - Eric is D- League HC right now. Musselman is
known as a huge preparation guy - when in Sacramento he did many things with
film preparation that were unprecedented Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

He'd be a great pick. I believe I mentioned him last go around. He can coach especially defensively as could his dad.

David Locke: Another
potential Jazz assistant Idaho Stampede head coach Randy Livingston. (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)
Great guy. Corbin's teammate in Atlanta, with Jazz in 04-05. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

El Kabong
09-03-2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765601086/New-Jazz-GM-Dennis-Lindsey-knows-his-stuff-when-it-comes-to-evaluating-players.html?pg=5

Assuming no one stands in his way Jefferson's time in Utah should be coming to an end as he watches the video and crunches the numbers!
Well that blog post link you posted before did enough of a job proving his defensive problems. Quickly, someone send him a link!

He'd be a great pick. I believe I mentioned him last go around. He can coach especially defensively as could his dad.
Doesn't sound like you could go wrong with either. Maybe go with Mussleman as he's got a bit more experience? Livingston only has a few years experience as a D-League coach, add him with Hornacek and you've got two of your three assistants who've only been coaching for 2-3 years each.

Xiao Yao You
09-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Mussleman was just hired by Arizona but I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to come back to the NBA. Along with Lowe he has head coaching experience and could be a good candidate if things don't work out with Corbin. He did a great job in GS before the players ran him out of town. In Utah management has a history of backing their coaches going back to Layden though in todays game it's getting harder to do. Corbin might be familiar with Mussleman from Minnesota too? Still think a big man coach might make the most sense though

Xiao Yao You
09-04-2012, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE]Kevin McHale: Again, ideally if you asked me how I

Xiao Yao You
09-06-2012, 09:27 AM
No sure why that posted under your name and not mine?

Xiao Yao You
09-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Kevin Martin is the obvious choice, he's not happy in Houston and wants to be traded. No big risk as he's also on an expiring contract and he could resign for half of what he's making now when he's a FA. Maybe try and get one of thisr young 1st round picks with him, but they might need to free up a roster spot to do that with Bell still hanging around.

Martin was the obvious choice before they filled out the roster. Now they need a young pg and a veteran big man.

Jefferson would probably fit in well with Houston. He'd be playing alongside Asik, who has no offensive game, but would be able to cover for Jefferson's poor D.

Yes and McHale likes him. Might have to get another team or two involved.

Xiao Yao You
09-06-2012, 09:30 AM
[URL="http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54836353-87/jazz-corbin-layden-coach.html.csp"][COLOR=#000080]Utah is on the verge of agreeing to terms with a coach to round out Tyrone Corbin

Xiao Yao You
09-06-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54844131-87/jones-jazz-coach-flash.html.csp

Sanders promoted to the bench. Jerry's nephew on board again. He's had some success at the D-league level.

Xiao Yao You
09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54844274-87/watson-jazz-rehab-knee.html.csp

Hopefully he gets healthy so they can trade him.

Xiao Yao You
09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Promoting Michael Sanders

"I think I was fortunate last year being able to get
Mike as a player development coach. With his experience as a player; the fact
he’s been a bench coach in this league. … I thought he did a great job with Enes
and Derrick, even Al and Paul. After practice, getting them shots in the post
and teaching. Working with Enes, especially, on how to use his body some, using
low-post moves, and got him up to speed. When we started camp, I didn’t know if
we was going to have the opportunity to play Enes in the beginning of training
camp. And he continued to work with Mike and did a good job of learning ­—
we were able to get him in the games some last year. I’m extremely happy with
the work Mike has done so far."

Adding a specific big-man coach

"We’re going to do it by committee. If there’s an
opportunity to add a piece or two here down the road, we’ll explore that. But
the way things are right now, I’m happy with the guys I have on staff. The guys
have done a good job; adding Brad will be an addition for us. We’re in a good
place, in my opinion

I certainly didn't expect anything from Kanter last year based on what was being said about him as a project and you could definitely see the work he was putting in from game to game. Be interesting to see how far he comes with an off-season and full camp and pre-season.

Xiao Yao You
09-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Jazz center Enes Kanter began one-on-one workouts Monday with former NBA All-Star small forward Kiki Vandeweghe in Los Angeles. Kanter is scheduled to spend two weeks working out with Vandeweghe. Daily individual sessions are broken up by weight training, five-on-five games and shooting drills.

After a two-week run with Vandeweghe, Kanter will return to Salt Lake City by Sept. 17. He'll engage in one-on-one workouts with Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin in preparation for training camp for the 2012-13 season.

Kanter's work with Vandeweghe marks the first time the No. 3 overall pick of the 2011 NBA Draft has been individually trained by a specific big-man coach since he entered the league. He previously engaged in workouts with Chicago-based trainer Tim Grover, and spent the 2011-12 season working with Jazz player development coach Michael Sanders, who was promoted Thursday to assistant coach.

Kanter, 20, averaged 4.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in 13.2 minutes during his rookie season. He played in all 66 regular-season games, shooting 49.6 percent from the field and 66.7 percent from the free-throw line.
Kanter showed promise and exceeded overall expectations. His playing time was sometimes erratic, though, and his action was limited during Utah's first-round playoff defeat to San Antonio.

Vandeweghe averaged 19.7 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.1 assists during 13 seasons with Denver, Portland, New York and the Los Angeles Clippers. He shot 52.5 percent from the field and 87.2 percent from the free throw line during his career, earning two All-Star appearances.

Vandeweghe held front-office roles with Dallas, Denver and New Jersey, and coached the Nets during the 2009-10 season. During his tenure with Dallas, Vandeweghe was credited with fine-tuning Dirk Nowitzki's game.

Excerpts from an interview Friday with Kanter

Kanter on how hard Vandeweghe is pushing him: Oh, he's killing me, man.

How different workouts with Vandeweghe have been compared to his previous training: The things he's done I've never

Xiao Yao You
09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Steve Luhm: Clarification: Lindsey and Rudoy won't talk publicly about Bell buyout until something is resolved (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Xiao Yao You
09-15-2012, 08:45 AM
The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has signed second-round draft pick Kevin Murphy. (http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-signs-second-round-pick-kevin-murphy) Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released. NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-signs-second-round-pick-kevin-murphy)

Xiao Yao You
09-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Marc J. Spears: Free agent forward Josh Howard to visit Spurs on Monday, (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) source tells Y! Sports. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Xiao Yao You
09-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Brian T. Smith: UFA forward Josh Howard still has interest in signing with #UtahJazz (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Brian T. Smith: Unresolved Raja Bell buyout situation complicates Howard's interest in re-signing with Jazz; (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) more likely he'll choose another #NBA team. Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Brian T. Smith: Several agents with clients who had interest in signing with Jazz have wondered why it's taken so long for Utah to finalize buyout. Considering Bell's situation with Utah stretches back to D-Will era, fact sides haven't resolved buyout has become surreal and un-Jazz like (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

Xiao Yao You
09-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Brian T. Smith: Fresh off his two-week training session with Kiki Vandeweghe in L.A., #UtahJazz center Enes Kanter will begin working out with Tyrone Corbin and assistant coaches this week in #SLC. (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html) Still haven't heard of any plans for Jazz players to gather en masse before camp, though Twitter (http://*********.com/twitter/media.html)

SourPatchKids
09-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Jazz quietly tryng to reassemble into a potentially lethal team out west.

Xiao Yao You
09-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Once they finally move on from the Al Jefferson era they might make that move.