PDA

View Full Version : Could Lebron James play soccer if he trained for it?

SacJB Shady
04-25-2012, 05:39 AM
I read that soccer players don't weight more than 180 and Lebron is much more than that. Do you think he could be any effective at soccer since he weights a lot?

Eric Cartman
04-25-2012, 05:41 AM
Has terrible footwork.

magnax1
04-25-2012, 05:44 AM
Maybe if he started a long time ago.

Lebron23
04-25-2012, 05:44 AM
I'll ask LeBron later.

j3lademaster
04-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Has terrible footwork.

This, but he'd be the goat goalie.

tobethdope
04-25-2012, 05:49 AM
no

kumquat
04-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Absolutely.

There's only 2 halves in soccer.

Quickening
04-25-2012, 05:57 AM

Yes because it isn't essential for goalkeepers to have great footwork...:facepalm

Quickening
04-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Absolutely.

Why is there 4 halves in Basketball? :facepalm

Walker
04-25-2012, 06:03 AM
Yes because it isn't essential for goalkeepers to have great footwork...:facepalm
it is actually, they have to be able to change direction in a split second.

In anycase it has nothing to do with weight, it's a completely different skill set and raw atheltic ability has way less worth.
It's all about lower body strenght, incredible dexterity, endurance running and finesse with the feet.
Things I highly doubt James has except for the lower body strenght.

KobeGOAT24
04-25-2012, 06:03 AM
:facepalm americans know nothing about soccer. "Soccer" is all about technique. U can be as athletic as zeus and it wouldn't mean shi t. You need to be tecnically gifted to play soccer. And that has to be taught at a young age.

KobeGOAT24
04-25-2012, 06:04 AM
lebron would look like a fool, even at the lowest levels of competion in european soccer. Like the 10th level of competition.

Lebron23
04-25-2012, 06:05 AM
:facepalm americans know nothing about soccer. "Soccer" is all about technique. U can be as athletic as zeus and it wouldn't mean shi t. You need to be tecnically gifted to play soccer. And that has to be taught at a young age.

Who are you?

Rnbizzle
04-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Absolutely.

Most sportsgames have 2 halves, no matter how you look at it. :facepalm

KobeGOAT24
04-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Who are you?

somebody who know stuff about whats happening outside the us boarder.

smh.:facepalm

pauk
04-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Yes he would be good... but soccer midgets are more quicker and have better footwork than much taller people, so i dont think he might be GOAT there.. Lebron would be much better as a Goalkeeper tho

Quickening
04-25-2012, 06:18 AM
it is actually, they have to be able to change direction in a split second.

In anycase it has nothing to do with weight, it's a completely different skill set and raw atheltic ability has way less worth.
It's all about lower body strenght, incredible dexterity, endurance running and finesse with the feet.
Things I highly doubt James has except for the lower body strenght.

Your sarcasm detector is faulty....:facepalm

Quickening
04-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Are you kidding? Who ever had better "footwork" at 6'9 - 260 lbs?

To answer the question, yes he would be good... but soccer midgets are more quicker and have better footwork than much taller people... Lebron would be better as a Goalkeeper

Theres a reason none of the top goalkeepers are Lebrons height.... his footwork is awful compared to 6 foot 2 players in the NBA... these are the guys who potentially would be good keepers.

Owl
04-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Theres a reason none of the top goalkeepers are Lebrons height.... his footwork is awful compared to 6 foot 2 players in the NBA... these are the guys who potentially would be good keepers.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb1544Rw6X1qc7p6d.jpg
6ft 5.5 . Given how scarce 6'8 guys are I think that's fair enough.
Maarten Stekelenberg (6'5.5) and Andreas Isaksson (6'6) are also internationals.

Height is not crucial to being a good goalkeeper (Cassillas and Buffon weren't exceptionally tall) and obviously footwork (and agility, reflexes, positioning etc) are more important. But height is an asset for keepers.

As for LeBron, as others have said firstly it depends how long ago he was training to do so, but really we don't know. But as Barcelona have proven over the past few years football is a game of technique as much as physicality. His best chance is certainly as a goalkeeper but it depends on a lot of things (when he committed to it, his level of coaching etc).

pauk
04-25-2012, 07:04 AM

The best goalkeepers are pretty damn tall and 99% of the time the tallest guys on the soccer team... the tallest guy as athletic as possible is the ideal GOAT goalkeeper... not only are tall people tall but they have much bigger hands/wingspan aswell.. they cover alot of space... Lebron is the most overall athletic 6'9 bball guy ever imo and has ridicilous pain tolerance, is not injury prone i mean whatever physical damage he does, was an excellent american footballer/reciever, so you know he can throw himself on the ground.... he would be pretty damn good there i think with early training and so on...

SacJB Shady
04-25-2012, 07:06 AM
You dont think Lebron could be a freight train at the forward spot?

Swaggin916
04-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Um yea that's why he would have to train for it. I gaurentee you a coach would give him some burn late in a game try to get some set pieces with him.

It's not that hard to tell a big guy to control the ball hold it up and then find one of your midfielders. He might not be good... but he couldn't be any worse than Andy Carroll.

pauk
04-25-2012, 07:12 AM

Damn... good idea haha... is there any charge fouls / block flops in soccer? If not... Lebron could just level everybody running a straight line to the goal :oldlol:

pauk
04-25-2012, 07:16 AM
How about headnodding?? He would be the GOAT nodder of all time.... with that vision, height, strength and vertical he would nod GOAT amount of goals :lol

SacJB Shady
04-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Damn... good idea haha... is there any charge fouls / block flops in soccer? If not... Lebron could just level everybody running a straight line to the goal :oldlol:

well hes faster than the majority of the nba and can kick harder than any soccer player due to his strength, so i assume he would be faster than soccer players too. He would charge some, but they would be be banged up.

Eric Cartman
04-25-2012, 07:19 AM

You can't be serious for asking this? :facepalm:

lakers_forever
04-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Anyone who has played football/soccer in their life know that Lebron (or any other very tall guy) would suck. Kobe is supossed to be a football fan since his childhood and he looks like an idiot (clumsy as hell) playing the game.

Name one football star, on field player, (a guy who was at least top 30 in world football) over 6'5. There isn't.

Very tall brazilian guys become great volleyball or basketball players. Most of them wanted to be professional football players and played the sport since they were kids and could not make it.

sodap
04-25-2012, 07:22 AM
since ajax strated it in the 1980s, you have to start training at a very young age (8-9 years old MAX) to even stand a chance to be a pro soccer player. tall people rarely have enough coordination with their feet, cases like zlatan ibrahimovic are extremely rare and I dont think lebron is one of those.

arifgokcen
04-25-2012, 07:25 AM
The best goalkeepers are pretty damn tall and 99% of the time the tallest guys on the soccer team... the tallest guy as athletic as possible is the ideal GOAT goalkeeper... not only are tall people tall but they have much bigger hands/wingspan aswell.. they cover alot of space... Lebron is the most overall athletic 6'9 bball guy ever imo and has ridicilous pain tolerance, is not injury prone i mean whatever physical damage he does, was an excellent american footballer/reciever, so you know he can throw himself on the ground.... he would be pretty damn good there i think with early training and so on...

Lebron is not ideal goalkeeper and goalkeepers are not that tall.

Some of the all time greats

Iker Casillas 5'11
Gianluigi Buffon 6'3
Petr Čech 6'4
Oliver Kahn 6'2
Fabien Barthez 6'0

Lev Yashin 6'2 considered to be Jordan of goalkeepers
Thats about 6'1.5 average.

Lebron is 6'8 or 6'9 and he is much taller than those guys.He just doesnt possess the dexterity to be good goalkeeper or soccer player for that matter.

He could have been one of the best wide receivers but thats about it

Teanett
04-25-2012, 07:30 AM
how tall is ibrahimovic?
6'4"?
he is the only tall guy who seems coordinated like a world class player.

peter crouch, jan koller, jon carew are between 6'6"-6'7" and look clumsy as fukk.

Teanett
04-25-2012, 07:32 AM
lebron as a goalie?
i know he can get up but how fast can he go down?

SacJB Shady
04-25-2012, 07:35 AM
How would Lebron not even make a good defender? Do you know how intimidating he would be not to mention that he could catch anybody?

mjokc
04-25-2012, 07:35 AM
http://okcpchelp.com/images/notinmyhouse.jpg

Quickening
04-25-2012, 07:36 AM
How would Lebron not even make a good defender? Do you know how intimidating he would be not to mention that he could catch anybody?

Yes because all the best defenders ever were all 6 foot 8 and quick.... oh wait there is more to football than being tall and athletic.

Tmuston Beltics
04-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Omg.. I like soccer, but watching it is a pain in the ass. The players flop all the fjuqcking time.. :(

Teanett
04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
there's so much skill involved in soccer, you might as well ask if lebron would be any good at hockey.

I<3NBA
04-25-2012, 07:48 AM
could Lebron play soccer?

yes he could. but he would suck. and he would suck bad. in any position.

trooper
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM

Pauk, we know you like LeBron, and he's an amazing basketball player, but why must you defend him at everything? LeBron in his current condition would NOT make a good keeper, he weighs some 260 pounds and has packed on tons of muscle. Keepers have to be agile and quick, not bulldozers.

Do you not play soccer? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Just cause he can catch up who's to say even a League One sub midfielder won't school him - how is he going to possibly tackle him cleanly when LeBron is notorious for having crappy footwork.

Basically tells me all I need to know :facepalm

SFMF
04-25-2012, 07:54 AM
too much training is going to be required... but i mean anyone can play soccer if they are properly trained :rolleyes:

Actinium59
04-25-2012, 08:08 AM
I would want to see Lebron run 10 to 16 km (6 to 10 miles), sprinting and resting all game like a forward or a striker in soccer. A football pitch is definitively not a basketball court.

He may be a taller Van Basten (6'2) or Drogba (6'2 1/2), but I'm almost sure he cannot keep up the distance without losing a lot of weight to be the most effective as possible.

And for the technique... Well, without playing football for a long time, and being particularly good at a young age, he would not dribble any defender.

And as a goalie, why not if his quick, agile and his reflexes are over the top. No way to know that now.

R.I.P.
04-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Of course. Look at T.O., went from Kansas to Fulham to Barcelona within a year.

sundizz
04-25-2012, 08:18 AM
I am confident that Lebron James could be an absolute beast of a soccer play if he had started playing soccer at a young age and played just that instead of basketball. His natural athletic gifts would translate amazingly in soccer.

He isn't just fast, he has that unique blow by while moving and changing gears ability. Soccer utilizes that even more so than basketball. He isn't the fastest 0-3 yards player, but he is damn near the fastest 3 yard to 10 yard i've ever seen (that can still maintain perfect body control).

I've NEVER played soccer in my life. Never kicked around a ball. I moved to a new area 5 weeks ago. I really love sports and the people here play soccer every Tuesday night ritualistically. It seemed like a good way to meet people and get in some non-gym exercise.

I got out there and I was just awful. Soccer was so much harder than the commercials and World Cup games I've seen. I've never sucked so hard at a sport. It just felt odd to try and control that ball and move and etc etc.

I've played 2 hours X 5 weeks now and I can fairly say that athletic ability is insanely important in soccer. Out of the 12 people we have play, I am easily a top 5 player now after just 5 weeks. This last week I scored 4 out of 10 goals and we won. If you could just dribble the ball, and learn how to kick well the natural athletic ability you have goes a long long long long way in soccer. Lebron would be out there being a beast just like he would in almost any other sport if he had started at a young age. I really can't think of a 'real' major sport than Bronzo wouldn't of been able to go pro in if he had started at a young age. He probably would even be a good baseball player given that rocket he has for an arm.

nathanjizzle
04-25-2012, 08:24 AM
lebron cannot play soccer. end of discussion.

Quickening
04-25-2012, 08:29 AM
I am confident that Lebron James could be an absolute beast of a soccer play if he had started playing soccer at a young age and played just that instead of basketball. His natural athletic gifts would translate amazingly in soccer.

He isn't just fast, he has that unique blow by while moving and changing gears ability. Soccer utilizes that even more so than basketball. He isn't the fastest 0-3 yards player, but he is damn near the fastest 3 yard to 10 yard i've ever seen (that can still maintain perfect body control).

I've NEVER played soccer in my life. Never kicked around a ball. I moved to a new area 5 weeks ago. I really love sports and the people here play soccer every Tuesday night ritualistically. It seemed like a good way to meet people and get in some non-gym exercise.

I got out there and I was just awful. Soccer was so much harder than the commercials and World Cup games I've seen. I've never sucked so hard at a sport. It just felt odd to try and control that ball and move and etc etc.

I've played 2 hours X 5 weeks now and I can fairly say that athletic ability is insanely important in soccer. Out of the 12 people we have play, I am easily a top 5 player now after just 5 weeks. This last week I scored 4 out of 10 goals and we won. If you could just dribble the ball, and learn how to kick well the natural athletic ability you have goes a long long long long way in soccer. Lebron would be out there being a beast just like he would in almost any other sport if he had started at a young age. I really can't think of a 'real' major sport than Bronzo wouldn't of been able to go pro in if he had started at a young age. He probably would even be a good baseball player given that rocket he has for an arm.

That explains your post.:hammerhead: Of course atheltic ability helps... but it would like saying a tall high jumper would be an NBA quality basketball player if he just spent a couple of years practicing.

Actinium59
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Soccer is also a team sport, and you play a lot a of the ball. You have to learn tactics, learn to make a control, learn to make one touch passes. You cannot just dribble or kick the ball, even if you are Maradona, Pele, Messi or God.
Ok, that's still important, and you have to have to be fit for the sport, that's normal.

That's often the problem with North American players, they have may have the best physical preparations, but when you need team play, tactics, technique to beat a good team, they lack a lot of the intangibles and the flair that you acquire when you are young, when you are not as fit as an adult and you have to compensate with your brain and technique.

Lebron can not play iso in soccer no way.

Teanett
04-25-2012, 08:34 AM

sounds like your playing indoor soccer.
that's a completely different thing.

sipitri
04-25-2012, 08:38 AM
He hasn't a good body for soccer, his best chances would be at the goalie position but that's a really strange position (I played 4 years as a goalie before becoming a striker).
As a goalie your main concern is to do PERFECTLY all the easy things, you must catch every easy shoot, catch every easy cross and then save every hard shoot you can, it's useless if you do impossibile saves and then you miss a catch letting your opponents score.
That's the main difference with basket, a single error in any moment of the game can cost you the whole game.
Oh and athleticism it's not really a primary need as a keeper, it will help you but some good keepers are Fat!

pauk
04-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Oh for gods sake.... look at some of the tallest pro soccer players ever down stairs... If you think Lebron would not be better athlete than any of these guys then you are out of your mind... if Lebron would put his mind to soccer, practice from earlier age... he would be great... or at least better than any of these guys:

(Notice that almost all of them are either Defenders or Goalkeepers)

KRISTOF VAN HOUT: (6'10")
http://www.oleole.com/media/main/images/member_photos/group2/subgrp468/kristofvanhout_408831.jpg

VANJA IVESA: (6'8")
http://turkspor.net/images/news/ivesa_eskisehirspor.jpg

YANG CHANGPENG: (6'8")
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x361/crisreza10/YangChangpeng.jpg

TOR HOGNE AAROY: (6'8")
http://www.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2009/11/08/1257674243680_262.jpg

OJVIND HOAS: (6'8")
http://www.therichest.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Kjell-Petter-Opheim.jpg

KJELL PETTER OPHEIM: (6'8")
http://www.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2007/10/25/1193312237082_245.jpg

EVEN IVERSEN: (6'8")
http://www.altomfotball.no/jsport/multimedia/person/97566.jpg

JAN KOLLER: (6'8")
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_01/JanKoller_468x314.jpg

NIKOLA ZIGIC: (6'8")
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/12/29/1293642756655/Nikola-Zigic-Rio-Ferdinan-007.jpg

PAOLO ACERBIS: (6'8")
http://www.fdgdiabete.it/images/ACERB241.jpg

AirTupac
04-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Dzeko and Ibrahimovic are both around 6'4 and they're pretty much giants on the field. With that being said, LeBron would get smashed and embarrassed on the field.

Owl
04-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Oh for gods sake.... look at some of the tallest pro soccer players ever down stairs... If you think Lebron would not be better athlete than any of these guys then you are out of your mind... if Lebron would put his mind to soccer, practice from earlier age... he would be great... or at least better than any of these guys:

(Notice that all of them are either defenders/forwards or Goalkeepers)

KRISTOF VAN HOUT: (6'10")
http://www.oleole.com/media/main/images/member_photos/group2/subgrp468/kristofvanhout_408831.jpg

VANJA IVESA: (6'8")
http://turkspor.net/images/news/ivesa_eskisehirspor.jpg

YANG CHANGPENG: (6'8")
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x361/crisreza10/YangChangpeng.jpg

TOR HOGNE AAROY: (6'8")
http://www.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2009/11/08/1257674243680_262.jpg

OJVIND HOAS: (6'8")
http://www.therichest.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Kjell-Petter-Opheim.jpg

KJELL PETTER OPHEIM: (6'8")
http://www.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2007/10/25/1193312237082_245.jpg

EVEN IVERSEN: (6'8")
http://www.therichest.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/jan_koller.jpg

JAN KOLLER: (6'8")
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_01/JanKoller_468x314.jpg

NIKOLA ZIGIC: (6'8")
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/12/29/1293642756655/Nikola-Zigic-Rio-Ferdinan-007.jpg

PAOLO ACERBIS: (6'8")
http://www.fdgdiabete.it/images/ACERB241.jpg
Huge gap between great and those guys. Of those only Koller and Zigic are of any note.

pauk
04-25-2012, 09:29 AM
ZELJKO KALAC: (6'7"-6'8")
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200508/r55333_150579.jpg

STEFAN MAIERHOFER: (6'7"-6'8")
http://www.therichest.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/stefan-maierhofer-rapid-56.jpg

LAZAR JOVISIC: (6'7"-6'8")
http://www.footballzz.com/img/jogadores/93/35393_ori_lazar_jovisic.jpg

KEVIN VINK: (6'7"-6'8")
http://www.voetbalopzaterdag.com/images/0506/Nederlandsamateurelftal-Belgie5.jpg

WOJCIECH KACHMAREK: (6'7"-6'8")
http://m.onet.pl/_m/a775506ea0642d66328ce9d1e28b5fb8,10,1.jpg

JURGEN WEVERS: (6'7"-6'8")
http://www.thuisinvoetbal.nl/cms/nieuws/1714.jpg

PETER CROUCH: (6'7")
http://forzaitalianfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/crouch-milan.jpg

DENNIS LAWRENCE: (6'7")
http://www.90soccer.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dennis-lawrence.jpg

ROB JONES: (6'7")
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01213/Rob_Jones_1213264c.jpg

MORIKE SAKO: (6'7")
http://img.webme.com/pic/m/morike-sako/sako.jpg

pauk
04-25-2012, 09:39 AM
STEFAN POSTMA: (6'7")
http://www.wolvesmatchwornshirts.co.uk/Stefan-Postma_280_419966a.jpg

BEN FUTCHER: (6'7")
http://toogoodtogodown.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/3943843960-29082011142819.jpg

BERTRAND BOSSU: (6'7")
http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/javaImages/b9/27/0,,10416~337849,00.jpg

ROBERT EGBETA: (6'7")
http://www.maspooort.com/uploads/Players/YIRN927yirrobert-egbeta.jpg

LUNGISANI NDLELA: (6'7")
http://www.therichest.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Lungisani-Ndlela.jpg

MARCIN KRZYWICKI: (6'7")
http://www.therichest.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Marcin-Krzywicki.jpg

JAKUB DZIOLKA: (6'7")
http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/5/7464/z7464365N,Jakub-Dziolka-w-barwach-Polonii-Bytom.jpg

ADRIAN RIOLKO: (6'7")
http://www.therichest.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Adrian-Rolko.jpg

pauk
04-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I think my point is clear....

Question: "Could Lebron James play soccer if he trained for it?"

Answer: "HELL YES!"

AirTupac
04-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Pauk your a fvcking loser.

pauk
04-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Pauk your a fvcking loser.

Oh...? i thought i just made YOU look like a loser... but ok.. :D

Quickening
04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Derrick Rose would be a better keeper purely looking at atheltic ability, size and footwork.

JGXEN
04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
I think my point is clear....

Question: "Could Lebron James play soccer if he trained for it?"

Answer: "HELL YES!"
He can play, yes. But he'd suck badly at it. His footwork sucks and in football, no matter how athletic you are, if you lack fundamental footwork and dribbling skills... you'll never succeed. Look at guys like Iniesta, Xavi, Paul Scholes. They do not even have 50% of LeBron's athleticism but they are considered one of the best to ever play the game. Why? Because in football, skills>athletic ability. In Basketball, there seems to be a parity between skills and athleticism, which is why LeBron is able to succeed in the NBA and probably not in professional soccer leagues.

stax
04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
It's too late for him to be particularly good at it. I think he'd make a decent central defender winning headers (who's out-jumping this guy?) and giving opposing forwards headaches with his size. His point guard experience might give him an advantage for developing the abilities to read the game from the back line. He's been a natural captain and leader in the past. He'd maybe fit in with the the more 'physical' styles of play (meaning he could come on late on a wintry Sunday afternoon in the lower divisions of Italy or England and hack the s*** out of some lanky 6'3" centre forward for half an hour). :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGihiSE6sM

Bill Gates responds to Malcolm Gladwell's theory that it takes 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to master a skill. Apart from acknowledging luck, timing and an open mind, Gates suggests that a successful person survives many cycles of attrition to make it to 10,000 hours of experience. "You do have to be lucky enough, but also fanatical enough to keep going," explains Gates.

10,000 hours = 10 years x 3 hours per day (approx)

chips93
04-25-2012, 11:05 AM
skill is far more important that athletic ability in soccer

we have no reasons to believe that lebron would ever be able to devlop the skill level required for soccer

as for him being a goalkeeper, its mostly instincts and quickness, again no reason to think that lebron has GK instincts

TheMan
04-25-2012, 11:19 AM
I bet Pauk thinks Bron would be the greatest chess player ever if he put his mind to it:facepalm

chips93
04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
I bet Pauk thinks Bron would be the greatest chess player ever if he put his mind to it:facepalm

:lol

R.I.P.
04-25-2012, 11:55 AM

I think he would be. He

IGOTGAME
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I have always wondered what would happen with a guy like Lebron on corners. I don't know how a team could deal with that. Especially if we are talking prime athletic Lebron....Guy is just too big, the little guys wouln't be able to get within a foot of his peak.

chazzy
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
:oldlol:

FKAri
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Ive seen this discussion before and I always think. Why Lebron? Guys like Rose, Iverson, Chris Paul, basically PGs would be a much better fit for soccer. Footwork, coordination is far too valuable in soccer. Whereas in basketball youre willing to give some of that up for increased length/size.

As for Lebron, he'd be far better as a goalie or a defender who occasionally comes forward for the set piece header kinda like Puyol for Barcelona. Because that is where his athleticism and length in favor of coordination is most feasible. I'm not saying Lebron isn't coordinated. He is VERY coordinated for a guy his size but he still isn't coordinated enough to be an elite offensive soccer player despite his athleticism.

ronniec
04-25-2012, 03:23 PM

obviously you know nothing about soccer

lilgodfather1
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Most sportsgames have 2 halves, no matter how you look at it. :facepalm
Not hockey. Boom Canada, Canada, Canada

And no way. LeBron's not a homo. Wade and Bosh on the other hand, well they have potential.

Sakkreth
04-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Ive seen this discussion before and I always think. Why Lebron? Guys like Rose, Iverson, Chris Paul, basically PGs would be a much better fit for soccer. Footwork, coordination is far too valuable in soccer. Whereas in basketball youre willing to give some of that up for increased length/size.

As for Lebron, he'd be far better as a goalie or a defender who occasionally comes forward for the set piece header kinda like Puyol for Barcelona. Because that is where his athleticism and length in favor of coordination is most feasible. I'm not saying Lebron isn't coordinated. He is VERY coordinated for a guy his size but he still isn't coordinated enough to be an elite offensive soccer player despite his athleticism.

Finally someone is right in here, I think Bron would have a chance to be great defender who would come to standard situations to hit a header. But offenisve player ? Really doubt it...

novocaine
04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
lol, maybe in the MLS :roll: :roll: :roll:

watchin that awesome champions league semi finale munich - real madrid atm....bron would probably cry if he had to play with them.

ronniec
04-25-2012, 03:37 PM

another Lebron dick rider who thinks his idol can do anything in this world... Lebron can pass like Magic, Lebron is the GOAT, Lebron is the most clutch, Lebron can guard all 5 positions, Lebron can play soccer, Lebron can play ice-hockey and has vision like Gretzky... Lebron can fvck 24 hours continuously...

throw himself on the ground? when was your last time you saw him doing something similar, like diving for a loose ball??

Soccer is not just about how big your are how fast you are and how strong you are. You should just stay with your NBA and suck Lebron's dick.

chips93
04-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I have always wondered what would happen with a guy like Lebron on corners. I don't know how a team could deal with that. Especially if we are talking prime athletic Lebron....Guy is just too big, the little guys wouln't be able to get within a foot of his peak.

again, there are instincts, timing, that we cant just assume lebron would develop

i dont follow soccer much anymore, but one of the best at headers from corners was tim cahil, hes not a tall guy, by any means, but hes got great intincts

like kevin love on the boards

FKAri
04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
lol, maybe in the MLS :roll: :roll: :roll:

watchin that awesome champions league semi finale munich - real madrid atm....bron would probably cry if he had to play with them.

OMG can you imagine Lebron having to take a high pressure penalty in a shootout where his make or miss will determine the winner of the world cup? :oldlol:

(ps I dont think hes a choker)

Sakkreth
04-25-2012, 05:49 PM
OMG can you imagine Lebron having to take a high pressure penalty in a shootout where his make or miss will determine the winner of the world cup? :oldlol:

(ps I dont think hes a choker)

Seeing Real-Bayern today it cant be that bad :roll:

Eat Like A Bosh
04-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Anyone can play Soccer after training.

Fiasco
04-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Steve Nash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

deja vu
08-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Yes. He'd be GOAT at it too. He's much more athletic than Maradona, Pele or Messi.

/sarcasm

alenleomessi
08-04-2013, 10:35 AM
seeing as usain bolt who is 6'5 and a much better universal athlete than lebron has played soccer since young age in jamaica and still plays for fun with his friends all the time... and still isnt THAT good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU4JeNNGP54

so yeah dumb thread... even if he started to play from young age i doubt he would have succeeded in this sport.. maybe decent defender or gk.. but thats it... whoever said goat or even close to that.. kill yourself..
some things are just meant to be.. lebron was meant to be a great bball player from young age.. he couldnt be a soccer player... jordan couldnt be a baseball player or a golfer... they could be decent but not even CLOSE to the status they are in their respective sports

madmax17
08-04-2013, 10:42 AM
He would win a lot of penalties with superior flopping, making him an effective forward.

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 11:07 AM
I read that soccer players don't weight more than 180 and Lebron is much more than that. Do you think he could be any effective at soccer since he weights a lot?

He's too tall. A low centre of gravity is key in soccer. And it's not really a game you can just pick up in a few years cause so much of it is about understanding of the game.

KOBE143
08-04-2013, 11:07 AM
If soccer is only about flopping, then YES.. I mean his flopping is on par with soccer player or even better.. :bowdown:

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 11:11 AM
It's also worth mentioning that he would need a far greater understanding of how to play a team sport. There's really only one player in world football today who can really dominate without any help from his teammates (messi).

thabisyo
08-04-2013, 11:13 AM
It's also worth mentioning that he would need a far greater understanding of how to play a team sport. There's really only one player in world football today who can really dominate without any help from his teammates (messi).

Maybe you mean something else when you say dominate. :roll:

Messi with no Iniesta and Xavi is a joke :roll:

thabisyo
08-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I love Lebron but he is too big, too tall to be a great and I don't know if he has ever played soccer. Since the question was not whether he could be elite, Yes he can definitely play soccer

In Rugby or American football, he would be great.

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Maybe you mean something else when you say dominate. :roll:

Messi with no Iniesta and Xavi is a joke :roll:

If you knew anything about soccer, you would know that messi is the only player in Europe who scores more than half of his goals unassisted (67% last season). Of his 91 goals in 2012, 14 were assisted by xavi and iniesta. By way of comparison, Ronaldo in 2012 was assisted by ozil and di Maria 24 times (out of 66 total goals). I live in a football mad country...I know it a hell of a lot better than you obviously. Messi's not my favourite player (hell as a Chelsea fan barcelona is probably my most hated team) but he is by far the best player in the world today. The gap between lebron and the second best player in the nba is significantly less than the gap between messi and the second best footballer in the world (whoever you think that is).

Frozen1
08-04-2013, 11:26 AM
In soccer being athletic means nothing. It helps, but you have to have skill.

Look at messi and neymar.

thabisyo
08-04-2013, 11:33 AM
If you knew anything about soccer, you would know that messi is the only player in Europe who scores more than half of his goals unassisted (67% last season). Of his 91 goals in 2012, 14 were assisted by xavi and iniesta. By way of comparison, Ronaldo in 2012 was assisted by ozil and di Maria 24 times (out of 66 total goals). I live in a football mad country...I know it a hell of a lot better than you obviously. Messi's not my favourite player (hell as a Chelsea fan barcelona is probably my most hated team) but he is by far the best player in the world today. The gap between lebron and the second best player in the nba is significantly less than the gap between messi and the second best footballer in the world (whoever you think that is).

Do not fool your self. Messi scoring goals is directly due to the system he has in Barcelona. That tika tikaa bullshit is what allows him to penetrate. Without Xavi and Iniesta doing most of the work, he is left alone much like in the Argentine team. Chelsea have neutralised messi for years but Iniesta has always troubled them you know why? Cause I dare say, Iniesta is better. he may not score much that is because it is not his Job. You can argue about basketball but soccer, bitch please. Sit your ass down and take notes. Lebron is the best in the NBA by far, Messi is not even the Best in that league he plays in. Ribery was better than Messi this year, Ronaldo the year before, iniesta in 2010. Melo and durant are prolific scorers, doesnt make them better than lebron

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Do not fool your self. Messi scoring goals is directly due to the system he has in Barcelona. That tika tikaa bullshit is what allows him to penetrate. Without Xavi and Iniesta doing most of the work, he is left alone much like in the Argentine team. Chelsea have neutralised messi for years but Iniesta has always troubled them you know why? Cause I dare say, Iniesta is better. he may not score much that is because it is not his Job. You can argue about basketball but soccer, bitch please. Sit your ass down and take notes. Lebron is the best in the NBA by far, Messi is not even the Best in that league he plays in. Ribery was better than Messi this year, Ronaldo the year before, iniesta in 2010. Melo and durant are prolific scorers, doesnt make them better than lebron

Messi has scored 12 club goals over the last 3 years in which he has beaten 5 or more players. That's 12 of the 14 total scored in Europe (top leagues). He's scored more than the rest of Europe for beating 3 and 4 defenders. Over the last 5 years he's had more than 3 times as many unassisted goals as any other player. In 2012, he scored 77 non penalty goals, 35 more than the next player, Ronaldo. He also has the most assists in Europe over the last 5 years. For nearly 3 years he's had more than a 200 point lead in the castrol index (the difference between 2nd and 20th is roughly 200 points). He had an advantage of over a point over second (8.9 to 7.7) in the average ratings on whoscored.com (those are the two most respected computer rating indexes). Barcelona, during the time he was injured (but still playing) almost got knocked out by psg, only going through on a goal he created right after coming off the bench, got crushed by Real Madrid, and lost 7-0 to bayern on aggregate.

Ribery is a great player, but he might not even be a top 5 player on his own team. Bayern were by far the best team in Europe last season, but they didn't even have one of the top 5 players in Europe (I could see an argument for Lahm in top 5).

Also re Chelsea (my team): Chelsea are a fabulous defensive side when they want to be, they have the best goalie and left back in the world, and terry, carvalho and ivanovic were top 5 players in their peaks (position wise). We were set up in a style effective against Barcelona, and if not for some bad luck we could easily have won 4 ucls before we managed it.

Nash
08-04-2013, 11:49 AM
goalkeeper, maybe. Outfield player no way, they'd run rings around him.

Jack
08-04-2013, 11:56 AM
You can play even if u dont train. He wouldnt be great at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAIbYqrn_4

fragokota
08-04-2013, 12:05 PM
nope.

Floppy
08-04-2013, 12:14 PM
well hes faster than the majority of the nba and can kick harder than any soccer player due to his strength, so i assume he would be faster than soccer players too. He would charge some, but they would be be banged up.
:roll:

Frank Ribery's top speed before his knee injury was 41-42km/h and Bolt's fastest ever measured is 44.72km/h.

Technique is far more important for shooting than raw strength and he'd lose the ball every time he'd attempt a shot cause of his size.

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 12:19 PM
:roll:

Frank Ribery's top speed before his knee injury was 41-42km/h and Bolt's fastest ever measured is 44.72km/h.

Technique is far more important for shooting than raw strength and he'd lose the ball every time he'd attempt a shot cause of his size.

Lebron wouldn't even be considered a really quick footballer. Walcott runs a 10.1 100, which means he runs roughly a 4.3-4 40y.

Floppy
08-04-2013, 12:20 PM
And if you knew anything about soccer you'd know that Messi can't be double or triple teamed cause he's surrounded by world class attackers. He shows his true colours in his national team that's not stacked beyond imagination.

SpurrDurr
08-04-2013, 12:25 PM
He'd be a good soccer player since his flopping skills are pretty amazing.

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 12:33 PM
And if you knew anything about soccer you'd know that Messi can't be double or triple teamed cause he's surrounded by world class attackers. He shows his true colours in his national team that's not stacked beyond imagination.

Considering this is a basketball forum, I don't really want to get into this. However, 'top class' is possible the wrong word. Pedro is mainly retained as a passing winger, so I'm going to ignore his poor finishing last season (he is a very good player, but he's certainly not in the league of top flight attacking support like di Maria, ozil, robben, Ribery etc.). Sanchez, who is primarily meant to be a secondary scoring threat, converted 6/22 one on ones/ open goals last season, which is pretty dreadful (by way of comparison: messi 30/36, Ronaldo 22/39, source whoscored.com).

You can go back and watch barcelona last season, but I'll tell you what happens: messi drifts back into a cm role, shadowed by one opposition player (the false 9 is a core tenet of Barca-tiki taka), he receives the ball, and moves forward. Then the defenders converge. He either tries to best them, or attempts a 1-2/ build up play with the inside forwards, or a midfielder who has taken hold in an advanced position. The entire premise of Barca tiki taka requires messi to draw 3/4 players to open space.

A lot of people being up Argentina with messi, but fail to recognise a couple of things: even if you use it as a negative, he still scores more regularly than Ronaldo internationally; international football is very much the second tier of the sport nowadays...players are generally tired due to the exertions of the club season;messi has scored at a goal a game over his last 20 games for Argentina; in his first 51 appearances, player tracker has him playing in a forward role 5 times (25 cm, 21 lw, 5 cf). He used to be primarily a playmaker for Argentina, and there is a reason for this...the vast array of forward talent they have, like milito, tevez, aguero, di Maria etc.

Trollsmasher
08-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Messi has scored 12 club goals over the last 3 years in which he has beaten 5 or more players. That's 12 of the 14 total scored in Europe (top leagues). He's scored more than the rest of Europe for beating 3 and 4 defenders. Over the last 5 years he's had more than 3 times as many unassisted goals as any other player. In 2012, he scored 77 non penalty goals, 35 more than the next player, Ronaldo. He also has the most assists in Europe over the last 5 years. For nearly 3 years he's had more than a 200 point lead in the castrol index (the difference between 2nd and 20th is roughly 200 points). He had an advantage of over a point over second (8.9 to 7.7) in the average ratings on whoscored.com (those are the two most respected computer rating indexes). Barcelona, during the time he was injured (but still playing) almost got knocked out by psg, only going through on a goal he created right after coming off the bench, got crushed by Real Madrid, and lost 7-0 to bayern on aggregate.

Ribery is a great player, but he might not even be a top 5 player on his own team. Bayern were by far the best team in Europe last season, but they didn't even have one of the top 5 players in Europe (I could see an argument for Lahm in top 5).

Also re Chelsea (my team): Chelsea are a fabulous defensive side when they want to be, they have the best goalie and left back in the world, and terry, carvalho and ivanovic were top 5 players in their peaks (position wise). We were set up in a style effective against Barcelona, and if not for some bad luck we could easily have won 4 ucls before we managed it.
Goals split by the amount of players he went by? That stat does not even exist. Unassisted goals? Castrol Index?:roll: :roll:

Gimme that shit you are smoking man. Maybe just should stop making up and using ridiculous statistics and watch some games.

Lol at excusing him for the Derrick Rose he pulled on Bayern. And the goal against PSG was made by Villa and Pedro, not Messi who was just lucky that his terrible pass was saved by the genius of Villa.

The only reason Messi's stats are so great is the fact that he is the ultimate ballhogger who gets fed by the ball in his sweet spots by his teammates all the damn time. Combined with Barca's 75% average possession per game, he just has so much more opportunities to do something than any other player that any statistic of his is ultimately skewed by it.

Why do you think he muscled out Ibrahimovic? Why do you think he has problems with Villa? They take the ball away from him and he becomes useless crybaby, because he can't survive without being in the possession of the ball all the damn time. That is also the reason the Neymar thing won't work.

Marchesk
08-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Anyone can play Soccer after training.

Anyone can play basketball after training. But at what level?

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Goals split by the amount of players he went by? Unassisted goals? Castrol Index?:roll: :roll:

Gimme that shit you are smoking man. Maybe just should stop making up and using ridiculous statistics and watch some games.

Lol at excusing him for the Derrick Rose he pulled on Bayern. And the goal against PSG was made by Villa and Pedro, not Messi who was just lucky that his terrible pass was saved by the genius of Villa.

The only reason Messi's stats are so great is the fact that he is the ultimate ballhogger who gets fed by the ball in his sweet spots by his teammates all the damn time. Combined with Barca's 75% average possession per game, he just has so much more opportunities to do something than any other player that any statistic of his is ultimately skewed by it.

Why do you think he muscled out Ibrahimovic? Why do you think he has problems with Villa? They take the ball away from him and he becomes useless crybaby, because he can't survive without being in the possession of the ball all the damn time. That is also the reason the Neymar thing won't work.

I watched about 200 football games last season alone. I get paid to analyse the sport of football from a statistical standpoint. Football is extremely generous with assist, and yet two-third of his goals are unassisted. Barca might have had 75% of possession, but they were 4th (bayern, real, juventus) in Europe in territory-weighted possession, which is a much better measure of opportunity creation. Messi did a hamstring, which is a bad injury for a footballer, and still tried to play. The only reason he didn't play the second leg against bayern is that they were too far behind...if they were 3-1 or so down on aggregate he probably would have played.

As for ball hogging...messi takes way way fewer shots than Ronaldo, and still scores more goals....funny that. And if you want to claim that he takes 'easier' shots: Messi's first touch on possession to goal was longer than Ronald's last season, 17.9 to 15.3 yards.

deja vu
08-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Because all it takes to be a good goalie is to be quick and athletic. :lol

Being a goalie is a huge mental task. During set pieces and corners you have to decide when to go out and catch the ball. You also have to help set up the defensive wall and try to see where the ball is going during a free kick.

Also it is one of the most demanding positions because one mistake and the media will bash you no end. :lol Worse, you'll get benched and the backup keeper will take your place like forever.

Jon_Koncak
08-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Yes he can.See Peter Crouch.

LosScandalous
08-04-2013, 01:46 PM
He'd fit right in with the rest of the manlets who play divegrass.

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Yes he can.See Peter Crouch.

Yeah, cause lebron can do this:

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2012/03/24/video-peter-crouch-goal-vs-man-city-stoke-march-2012-volley-goal-video/

Jon_Koncak
08-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah, cause lebron can do this:

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2012/03/24/video-peter-crouch-goal-vs-man-city-stoke-march-2012-volley-goal-video/

Why not?whats so hard about it?

Unbiased_one
08-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Why not?whats so hard about it?

Lebron couldn't even do the first bit of control, let alone score the goal.

Jon_Koncak
08-04-2013, 02:00 PM
the op asssumes he'd train for it..yeah it'd be incredibly hard to obtain Peter Crouch's amazing football skills.Not to mention Lebron is about 100 times stronger and more explosive than him.If guys like Peter Crouch or Jan Kolelr were able to have a decent career only because of their height so could Lebron.

LosScandalous
08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Lebron couldn't even do the first bit of control, let alone score the goal.

how do you know

secund2nun
08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Soccer is so different. It is a sport dominated by foot coordination while bball is about hand eye coordination. We don't know how well Lebron's eye foot coordination would be if he trained in soccer.

I suspect because of his extreme athleticism and his well round athletic ability he would a have a chance at being pro soccer player unless his foot eye coordination just flat out is non existent, which is a possibility but I will take my chances that he has some.

We do know he would have been an insane football player.

ralph_i_el
08-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Lebron is much to tall to have the level of control you need to play soccer at a high level. Maybe he could play D. I'm not a soccer fan but IMO Allen Iverson would have been a beast at soccer if he trained at it all his life. Don't you just see him playing like a thug-messi?

JimmyMcAdocious
08-04-2013, 03:59 PM
LeBron would be the GOAT goalkeeper. He would make Iker Casillas look like Kwame Brown.

ClutchOver9000
08-04-2013, 04:18 PM
No.

b1imtf
08-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Lool

pauk
08-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Yes... but how well? Football or "soccer" is not really a 6'8++ mans game imo, (maybe he could be more succesfull as a goalie or strategically like to nod sidekicks or something), more like the opposite, the shorter the better (not to short lol), especially at pro level it relies brutally much on quickness/acceleration/coordination/footwork/agility, much more than a 6'8+ guy would be able to give due to physical laws of nature, especially when he is up to like 270 lbs.... Lebron is extremly athletic, but the size is to much to control his movements and dart here and there like example Chris Paul can, which is required if he wants to be successfull in soccer... its only that type of athletic/body features like Nate Robinson has that would transcend better into soccer...

TylerOO
08-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Yea but why would he want to? That sport sucks

pauk
08-04-2013, 06:05 PM

I definitely think soccer is overrated like hell and this comes from a Euro with nothing but soccer loving basketball hating friends & family.

May USA's taste for sports live on forever, :cheers: Basketball >>>

LakersDaBEst
08-04-2013, 06:17 PM
he might has a chance to juke someone with that crab dribble move...

brain drain
08-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Lebron's height would work against him in soccer, he's just too big.
So if he had all the other required skills for a top flight soccer player (which is not guaranteed at all), he'd be the equivalent of a very good 5'10" and under NBA player. Something like Nate Robinson.

Jon_Koncak
08-04-2013, 06:31 PM

QFTW :cheers:

tomkiddo91
08-04-2013, 07:38 PM
This entire thread is just :facepalm

Marchesk
08-04-2013, 07:53 PM
May USA's taste for sports live on forever, :cheers: Basketball >>>

Yeah, but then there's baseball, which is almost as bad. Almost.