PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss the implication of Rose's injury and his play after recovery

Derivative
04-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I think with a torn acl, especially to a player so reliant on athleticism like Rose, he will never be able to recover to the type of player he was before. And because 80% of Rose's game is athleticism, he will probably be pretty bad when he comes back.

Derivative
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
lets discuss

gengiskhan
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I think with a torn acl, especially to a player so reliant on athleticism like Rose, he will never be able to recover to the type of player he was before. And because 80% of Rose's game is athleticism, he will probably be pretty bad when he comes back.

Bulls eye.

well said.

ACL tear is career altering injury. Rose will go the Grant Hill route. Unfortunately, for Hill, he couldn't secure MVP before injury like Rose did which wasnt really earned.

I hate Rose's game the most. He leaps & jumps unnecessarily way too much & he paid the ultimate price for that today.

Rose career wise will at best be 65% player of his MVP season from here on. Athleticism will be reduced.

He may suffer from unstable knee or Knee giving out despite full recovery.

RIP Bulls Franchise.

Lebron23
04-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Mr. Rose better hire a good PT. He will never be the same again. His numbers and overall impact might decline next season because he relies on his athletic ability.

Cangri
04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
RIP Bulls Franchise.
Nah, they still have a solid team and a great coach. They just need to find a new star to go to chicago, which they most certainly will.

Derivative
04-28-2012, 07:34 PM
it's going to be heartbreaking to see future westbrook vs rose match ups, where once rose was the better player, westbrook will be the superior here after

Oositdwn
04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Mr. Rose better hire a good PT. He will never be the same again. His numbers and overall impact might decline next season because he relies on his athletic ability.
You know this also applies to lebron also right?

hkfosho
04-28-2012, 07:46 PM
I cant beieve im about to say this as a fan of rose ever since he was in simeon, but its true. This seriously changes the outcome of his career. Sad day for fans of NBA.

Lebron23
04-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Russel Westbrook will have a better career than post injury Rose.

wpdougie2180
04-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Didn't Blake Griffin tear his ACL his rookie year so it's not the end of the world in terms of Rose's athleticism

Cangri
04-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Lebron is one freak of nature though, his body handle his athleticism, the same thing can't be said for Rose.

Derivative
04-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Didn't Blake Griffin tear his ACL his rookie year so it's not the end of the world in terms of Rose's athleticism

no, he broke his knee cap. huge different between broken bone and broken tendon

bingo123
04-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Nope. He injured his kneecap. Torn ACL is worse.

PP34Deuce
04-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Rose is 23, so that alone means he can come back with great doctors. He will need to pace himself all a Rondo. Rondo used to dunk on guys every game, but lately Rondo paces himself.

CelticBaller
04-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Lets hope he improves his shot

Derivative
04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Lets hope he improves his shot

doubt it, his shot regressed since his second season

noob cake
04-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Rose is 23, so that alone means he can come back with great doctors. He will need to pace himself all a Rondo. Rondo used to dunk on guys every game, but lately Rondo paces himself.

23 doesn't mean anything. He is already too old.

Rose will never be the same espicially consdering Rose doesn't have a lot of skill to begin with. Rose is the most atheleticism reliant superstar in NBA history.

maybeshewill13
04-28-2012, 08:21 PM
It's true, ACL is a ****ed injury. Rose will struggle from here on out. Sucks.. he was great to watch. Such a waste of talent.

Tenchi Ryu
04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
23 doesn't mean anything. He is already too old.

Rose will never be the same espicially consdering Rose doesn't have a lot of skill to begin with. Rose is the most atheleticism reliant superstar in NBA history.
Um...no. Rose was considered a top PG at the beginning of the season not just because of his athleticism, but his improved PG skills. Even with this injury and even IF he doesn't return with the same quick step, he still is only 23 and has plenty more to learn about the game.

Every year he's come back with rapid improvement in certain areas. Now imagine rose taking that same dedication to working on his game, and put it in shooting....still can be a top PG in the league.

Lebron23
04-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Rose is a horrible mid range shooter. It sucks that he will longer be an elite PG next season. ACL is a serious injury.

noob cake
04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Um...no. Rose was considered a top PG at the beginning of the season not just because of his athleticism, but his improved PG skills. Even with this injury and even IF he doesn't return with the same quick step, he still is only 23 and has plenty more to learn about the game.

Every year he's come back with rapid improvement in certain areas. Now imagine rose taking that same dedication to working on his game, and put it in shooting....still can be a top PG in the league.

Rose has no shot right now. His passing has been average at best.

Besides he creates his offense with this atheleticism. This reminds me of Dwight's herniated back, two of the most physically reliant superstar getting injured within weeks of each other.

knickballer
04-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Torn ACL is not the death sentence like it used to be for athletes but his quickness will definitely take a hit upon his return.

I'm sure he'll adjust his game

lilgodfather1
04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Coming from one of the only people on this board who has torn an ACL/MCL I would imagine that Rose also fractured his meniscus as those three things are very common combinations. Believe me you don't get the athletecism back for at least a year. When Rose comes back he will not be at full strength, and if he pushes to come back he runs the risk of re-injury. The doctors had me on crutches for a month, then slowly rehabilitating by swimming, walking, balancing on one leg, squats, lunges, and finally my last test was weight lifting and stretching. This process took almost a year, it was 9 months. I hope Rose has a good recovery, but I don't think he will be the same again, and certanly not next season.

Also there is a mental component that he will have to over come. I personally refused to jump for over a year because I was afraid I would hurt myself again. If Rose has that same fear, or a different one then he will have to over come it as well. Again good luck to Rose, but tbh it couldn't have happened to a better franchise imo. Buck the Fulls.

PyrrhusX
04-28-2012, 08:39 PM
he will probebly do an Evgeni Malkin like recovery and play inredibly next year....

IGOTGAME
04-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Torn ACL is not the death sentence like it used to be for athletes but his quickness will definitely take a hit upon his return.

I'm sure he'll adjust his game

sucks because he had all time great lockdown defensive potential.

knickballer
04-28-2012, 08:46 PM
sucks because he had all time great lockdown defensive potential.

The same with Rubio.. Sucks that two of the best PG's in the NBA are going to be hurt(Rubio has the potential to be)

notatop29pg
04-28-2012, 08:46 PM
He'll be fine. If he's half as dedicated and hard working as everyone says he is it will be nothing more than a 12 month lay off. CP3 is still top 5 with half the quickness and athleticism he used to have, no reason Rose wont do the same.

Lebron23
04-28-2012, 08:48 PM
he will probebly do an Evgeni Malkin like recovery and play inredibly next year....

Who??????

Lebron23
04-28-2012, 08:49 PM
He'll be fine. If he's half as dedicated and hard working as everyone says he is it will be nothing more than a 12 month lay off. CP3 is still top 5 with half the quickness and athleticism he used to have, no reason Rose wont do the same.

CP3 is a smarter player than Rose. CP3 relies on his fundamental skills while Roses 100% relies on his athletic ability.

notatop29pg
04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
CP3 is a smarter player than Rose. CP3 relies on his fundamental skills while Roses 100% relies on his athletic ability.

CP3 was a bit reckless too at one point, didn't jump as high but was lightning and changed direction like a fish. Yes he was always a bit smarter even back then, but Rose can still learn, it's not his brain that's injured. None of the great pgs have

Whoah10115
04-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Man, some of you are ****in stupid.

noob cake
04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Exactly. CP3 has always had elite shooting and passing. Nash has almost no atheleticism, but is still an elite player based on his skills.

Rose has poor shooting and average passing. Rose is gonna drop like a rock now.

Tenchi Ryu
04-28-2012, 09:34 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

SuperPippen
04-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Exactly. CP3 has always had elite shooting and passing. Nash has almost no atheleticism, but is still an elite player based on his skills.

Rose has poor shooting and average passing. Rose is gonna drop like a rock now.

Poor shooting? Since when has Rose been a poor shooter?

His mid-range jumper was money in his sophomore year, and while it has admittedly regressed a bit since then, it's still pretty solid. He's also a very good FT shooter, and has drastically improved since his rookie year.

No, Rose probably will not be the same athletically after his injury. However, I believe that a player like Rose, with his drive, work-ethic, and determination, will be able to overcome this setback in his physical ability and still be one of the top PGs in the game.

The other facets of his game are just going to have to continue to improve, in order to compensate.

notatop29pg
04-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Poor shooting? Since when has Rose been a poor shooter?

His mid-range jumper was money in his sophomore year, and while it has admittedly regressed a bit since then, it's still pretty solid. He's also a very good FT shooter, and has drastically improved since his rookie year.

No, Rose probably will not be the same athletically after his injury. However, I believe that a player like Rose, with his drive, work-ethic, and determination, will be able to overcome this setback in his physical ability and still be one of the top PGs in the game.

The other facets of his game are just going to have to continue to improve, in order to compensate.

Exactly. Pretty much every other top 10pg in history has got along fine without that extra 5-10 inches on their vertical and half a step.

Brook(lyn)Lopez
04-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Remember, D Rose couldn't even take the damn SAT's himself. This dude is not the smartest tool in the shed. He probably doesn't have the mental aspects to really understand how to change his game to adjust for his inevitable decline in athleticism.

blacknapalm
04-28-2012, 10:07 PM
it'll take a while to get back to his former self. it took cp3 a little over a whole year (into the playoffs) before he started to look close to his former self.

that said, rose is going to have to change his game up. he just takes too much punishment and impact. he can still use his athleticism but he needs to be able to do less with more and be even craftier

always sucks to see a good player get hurt and i won't stoop to the level of trolls to throw it back in the face of rose fans, nor use it to prop up other players or just out of spite. hope he has a speedy recovery and i'm sure being injured all season has been frustrating for him

CelticBaller
04-28-2012, 10:10 PM
you expect rose to comeback 100%? he tore an ACL, this is the guy that depends alot on his athleticism

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:
why would you laugh? there's a chance he wont be the same player

t-rex
04-28-2012, 10:14 PM
In the NFL it takes 2 years for a player with a torn ACL to get any kind of burst back equal to what he had before. The injury is not the catastrophe it was a few years ago, thanks to medical advancements. But it's still a serious injury.

Rose will not be the same player when he returns next year. Which by the way won't be until deep into the 2012-13 NBA regular season or playoff time. The following year (2014), especially because he is young, a lot of his burst should return.

Still, for a player like Rose, who relies so much on his first step, this is going to be a tough road to come back from.

Copperhead
04-28-2012, 10:27 PM
People keep comparing Rose to CP3 but I don't even think they had the same kind of injury. Paul tore cartilage in his knee and he had the torn portion of that meniscus removed. People walk around saying Paul doesn't have any meniscus but he does. Just the torn portion was removed. It was a partial tear to Paul's meniscus. Not his ACL. A meniscus tear and an ACL tear are two different things.

http://www.dcmsonline.org/jax-medicine/2001journals/AugSept2001/meniscal.htm

Yahoo! Sports first reported the need for surgery, saying that test results revealed a partial tear to Paul's meniscus and that he could miss up to two months.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4875956

Clocian-IGN
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
lot of classy dudes in this thread

Whoah10115
04-28-2012, 10:33 PM
you expect rose to comeback 100%? he tore an ACL, this is the guy that depends alot on his athleticism

why would you laugh? there's a chance he wont be the same player

Anything can happen. But this thread is made up of people waxing poetic of what was Derrick Rose. Let's chill out a minute.

It's physically impossible to come back from a torn ACL in under 6 months (unless you're Gattuso) and it's usually 6-8 months. Usually a year you get back to close to 100%. Some people lose a little speed, sure. Anything is possible. But it's really no kind of death sentence. Assuming his body reacts well to the graft, and he doesn't mope and let atrophy set in, there's no reason why he should lose much limberness of agility or speed.

He should be back for the start of the season. If they take it slow, bring him back in December. But he'll be back. David West tore his last year, a week before the playoffs. He started the year, was healthy, and in the last 2 weeks look at how close he's gotten to 100%. Of course, he doesn't have the speed and the athleticism of Rose. It's scary for him, sure.

But his career is not anywhere near over.

Copperhead
04-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Anything can happen. But this thread is made up of people waxing poetic of what was Derrick Rose. Let's chill out a minute.

It's physically impossible to come back from a torn ACL in under 6 months (unless you're Gattuso) and it's usually 6-8 months. Usually a year you get back to close to 100%. Some people lose a little speed, sure. Anything is possible. But it's really no kind of death sentence. Assuming his body reacts well to the graft, and he doesn't mope and let atrophy set in, there's no reason why he should lose much limberness of agility or speed.

He should be back for the start of the season. If they take it slow, bring him back in December. But he'll be back. David West tore his last year, a week before the playoffs. He started the year, was healthy, and in the last 2 weeks look at how close he's gotten to 100%. Of course, he doesn't have the speed and the athleticism of Rose. It's scary for him, sure.

David West doesn't rely on athleticism though. West is a power forward but there's hardly any 'power' in his game. West is more finesse. Rose may have to change the way he plays. West doesn't move like Rose does. He doesn't have the speed or the first step that Rose has.

Good luck D-Rose!

notatop29pg
04-28-2012, 10:38 PM

LARS treatment has you back in 12-16 weeks

ConanRulesNBC
04-28-2012, 10:44 PM
it's going to be heartbreaking to see future westbrook vs rose match ups, where once rose was the better player, westbrook will be the superior here after

Let's wait and see how he plays when he comes back before saying he's going to be inferior to Westbrook.

Whoah10115
04-29-2012, 12:36 AM
LARS treatment has you back in 12-16 weeks

What is that?

notatop29pg
04-29-2012, 02:09 AM
What is that?

Its where instead of repairing the ligament they insert a synthetic ligament.

Has been used quite a lot in the AFL in Australia, cuts recovery time down from the usual 10-12 months to almost 3 -4. Has been quite successful except for a few guys who have redone the artificial ligament again.. leading to another 3-4 months out.

http://lars-ligaments.com/

theaussieguy
04-29-2012, 02:58 AM

Lebron is bow legged and this is a huge reason why he doesn't suffer and most likely will not suffer from such injuries.

Knock kneed people really put pressure on their inner knees, with the ACL bearing a lot of that pressure. With bow legged people the pressure is exerted more on the side of the knee and the ACL is more protected in a way because the structure of the knee in bow legged person takes a lot of pressure off the ACL. (don't ask me how)

AMISTILLILL
04-29-2012, 03:09 AM
Bulls fans should remain positive about the fact that their superstar would probably need both legs removed in order to fold and give up on that city. Even then, he'd probably enter a wheelchair league or something. Whatever it takes to return to form, he'll do it. If it means completely retooling his game to be an effective player like Grant Hill, he'll absolutely do it.

It's bizarre to even think in those terms, since he's been heralded as the future of the franchise since draft day. Let's hope that's not the case.

I've never been a big Bulls fan, but I've grown to respect the hell out of the organization in its current incarnation. I've been pretty bothered by what took place today, and it's terrible to witness one of these types career shaping incidences. All you can do is draw comparisons to players of old who had injuries that derailed their career, and remain hopeful that this isn't another one of those career defining things.

Whoah10115
04-29-2012, 03:13 AM
Its where instead of repairing the ligament they insert a synthetic ligament.

Has been used quite a lot in the AFL in Australia, cuts recovery time down from the usual 10-12 months to almost 3 -4. Has been quite successful except for a few guys who have redone the artificial ligament again.. leading to another 3-4 months out.

http://lars-ligaments.com/

Wow...be interesting to see how this particular treatment develops over time.

Thanks.

Tenchi Ryu
04-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Bulls fans should remain positive about the fact that their superstar would probably need both legs removed in order to fold and give up on that city. Even then, he'd probably enter a wheelchair league or something. Whatever it takes to return to form, he'll do it. If it means completely retooling his game to be an effective player like Grant Hill, he'll absolutely do it.

It's bizarre to even think in those terms, since he's been heralded as the future of the franchise since draft day. Let's hope that's not the case.

I've never been a big Bulls fan, but I've grown to respect the hell out of the organization in its current incarnation. I've been pretty bothered by what took place today, and it's terrible to witness one of these types career shaping incidences. All you can do is draw comparisons to players of old who had injuries that derailed their career, and remain hopeful that this isn't another one of those career defining things.
Agree completely. The one thing that makes Derrick so special is that he is a winner, period. Anything it takes to win, he'll do it. If it takes changing his game a little bit, so be it. He's shown us that he's willing to change and improve something every year, this will just be another challenge for him he'd gladly want to beat. His desire to win will refuse to let him just settle and give up.

Just because he might not be the OLD D.Rose, doesn't mean we won't like the NEW one. But that's if he even changes. I wouldn't be surprised if he some how beats the odds....again.

Derivative
04-29-2012, 04:12 AM
i am sorry rose fans but i don't see rose comming back being 80% of what he was in his MVP year

Rooster
04-29-2012, 04:16 AM
i am sorry rose fans but i don't see rose comming back being 80% of what he was in his MVP year

He will be more cautious that's for sure. And He's gonna shoot more jumpers.

Derivative
03-03-2014, 11:22 PM
and Rose is injured again