PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics To Be Replaced By The FIBA World Cup - With Schedule

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 02:25 AM
In this thread --->

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260538

I already explained how David Stern wants to change the FIBA format to the same as the international FIFA football (soccer) format. Where the Olympics becomes a secondary tournament, and the World Basketball Cup becomes the main world tournament, just like in football (soccer).

But all the NBA only fans in this forum laughed at this and said it will never happen.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7872442 @ 3:35

Confirmed by Stern's own words that, indeed, this is what him and FIBA are planning, just as FIBA itself already claimed.

The FIBA World Cup is replacing the Olympics, because it makes more money. Both Stern and FIBA want it that way. The 2010 FIBA World Championship had more revenues and TV viewers than the 2008 Olympics basketball tournament did, even without hardly anyone in the USA really giving a damn about it.

So, it will now replace the Olympics moving forward, per the plans of both FIBA and the NBA. It started with the renaming of the tournament from the FIBA World Championship to the FIBA World Cup.

So, once again, NBA only fans talk a lot of crap without having any clue to what is actually true or not.

This new cycle begins in 2017 by the way. It goes like this:

2017: FIBA Women's World Championship

2018: FIBA men's zones regional qualifications for the 2019 FIBA World Cup

2019: FIBA World Cup (officially replaces the Olympics)

2020: Olympics basketball (only players under 23 allowed - like in football, AKA "soccer")

2021: the cycle begins again, with the next women's world championship

So, the 2016 Olympics will be the last time that FIBA and the NBA accept the Olympics as a premiere international basketball tournament. It will then be finally officially replaced by the FIBA World Cup, because it is a bigger and more important tournament.

bmulls
05-01-2012, 02:30 AM
The only "premiere" basketball tournament is the NBA playoffs.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 02:33 AM

You sure wouldn't know it by watching it.

LABean
05-01-2012, 02:34 AM
:roll:

/thread

Flagrant 2
05-01-2012, 02:35 AM
This

stallionaire
05-01-2012, 02:39 AM
:applause:

qrich
05-01-2012, 02:43 AM

I'd say March Madness is pretty damn premier as well but yeah, expect the US to dominate the "World Cup" like they do the Olympics.

Unless, of course, Greece features Sofo S. 10x the player Kaman and Camby can dream of being :bowdown:

Rooster
05-01-2012, 03:30 AM
:cheers:

Euroleague is for summer league scrubs. Put role player like Kirilenko and scrubs like Krstic and Krhyapa in the same team = Dominance.:bowdown:

Signed

Anthony Parker:coleman:

Fiba basketball
05-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Does this mean there will be more games ? If it does than its fine by me , nothing better than watching my NT play .

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 03:51 AM
:cheers:

Euroleague is for summer league scrubs. Put role player like Kirilenko and scrubs like Krstic and Krhyapa in the same team = Dominance.:bowdown:

Signed

Anthony Parker:coleman:

NBA is where crappy Euroleague players go to become "stars".

Signed

Goran Dragic
Gary Neal
Ty Lawson
Ricky Rubio

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Does this mean there will be more games ? If it does than its fine by me , nothing better than watching my NT play .

No. There would be less games. EuroBasket would only take place once every 4 years.

That sucks, because EuroBasket is by far the best international tournament.

Rooster
05-01-2012, 04:00 AM

Signed

Goran Dragic
Gary Neal
Ty Lawson
Ricky Rubio

Stars:biggums: :lol :facepalm

Lebron23
05-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Love to see Team Pilipinas plays in this tournament. We are getting stronger and better every year.

qrich
05-01-2012, 04:02 AM

Signed

Goran Dragic
Gary Neal
Ty Lawson
Ricky Rubio

A bench player is a star? Then I guess Yaroslav Korolev, who couldn't get playing time on the Clippers, was a star in Europe as well.

Fiba basketball
05-01-2012, 04:14 AM
What aboute European NTs league ? I heard Serbia , France , Germany , Greece and Russia already said that they will particapate in it . Spain , Lithuenia , Italy need to confirm that they will play and Croatia and Turkey want to play in it too .

Doranku
05-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Why does everyone on this forum feel so strongly about either the NBA or the Euroleague?

Baksketball is basketball.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Love to see Team Pilipinas plays in this tournament. We are getting stronger and better every year.

They want there to be 64 teams at the qualification stage, and 32 at the group stage.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:21 AM
A bench player is a star? Then I guess Yaroslav Korolev, who couldn't get playing time on the Clippers, was a star in Europe as well.

Anthony Parker was not the best player on his Euroleague team and yet this forum claims he was the GOAT in Euroleague history.

Piss off.

iamgine
05-01-2012, 04:22 AM
That's the sad truth

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:23 AM
What aboute European NTs league ? I heard Serbia , France , Germany , Greece and Russia already said that they will particapate in it . Spain , Lithuenia , Italy need to confirm that they will play and Croatia and Turkey want to play in it too .

Yes, because FIBA Europe wants to break away from FIBA and form its own organization.

They are sick of how the NBA has been in total control of FIBA over the last few years.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:25 AM
Why does everyone on this forum feel so strongly about either the NBA or the Euroleague?

Baksketball is basketball.

NBA only fans. Not everyone, just them. You know, the people that think basketball can only be played by black Americans.

The typical black supremacist racists that make up the large majority of NBA fans. They see the Euroleague as an affront to them. As an assault by whitey on "the black man's game".

Fiba basketball
05-01-2012, 04:25 AM
Yes, because FIBA Europe wants to break away from FIBA and form its own organization.

They are sick of how the NBA has been in total control of FIBA over the last few years.
So will that league be played or not ? Do you have some information about it ?

qrich
05-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Anthony Parker was not the best player on his Euroleague team and yet this forum claims he was the GOAT in Euroleague history.

Piss off.

And where did I claim that? Oh yeah, NO WHERE.

So, how is Mr. Sofo doing? Is he still 10 times better than an old Camby and older Kaman? Why do you keep ignoring that question?

Oh and by the way, the NBA is the superior product to the EuroLeague, why can you not accept that?

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:32 AM
So will that league be played or not ? Do you have some information about it ?

What I can tell you is that some of the old FIBA power base, like Vassilakopoulos and his friends in Serbia are trying to break away from FIBA and form Europe into its own basketball federation.

This way, the NBA and David Stern would no longer be able to control all the decisions about international basketball, as it has been in recent times.

This would not be something like FIBA Europe, which came under FIBA World control and NBA control in recent times, or like ULEB, which is just the clubs organized together.

It would be more something like UEFA without the clubs. Because Euroleague council committee is also always working in conjunction with the NBA.

So think like UEFA, but without the clubs.

Fiba basketball
05-01-2012, 04:32 AM
And where did I claim that? Oh yeah, NO WHERE.

So, how is Mr. Sofo doing? Is he still 10 times better than an old Camby and older Kaman? Why do you keep ignoring that question?

Oh and by the way, the NBA is the superior product to the EuroLeague, why can you not accept that?
Sofo is great C , probably strongest C in the world but he can play only 15 mpg because he is too fat and makes stupid fauls .

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:34 AM

Because it isn't true. You are just an idiot.

mentallooser
05-01-2012, 04:35 AM
NBA only fans. Not everyone, just them. You know, the people that think basketball can only be played by black Americans.

The typical black supremacist racists that make up the large majority of NBA fans. They see the Euroleague as an affront to them. As an assault by whitey on "the black man's game".
Ahhh and so your obsession as an american with euro basketball is painted nicely. The fact that you make such odd assumptions about NBA fans is ridiculous to begin with.

Now more to the topic. Would love to see Champions league style play, but the NBA teams have no one of merit to compete with in their region. Maybe in 10-15 years some other nations in North America will be able to mess around once a year for a cup. Yea I would love FIBA to hold a world cup type event, but I think it is important than yearly international play continue.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Sofo is great C , probably strongest C in the world but he can play only 15 mpg because he is too fat and makes stupid fauls .

20 minutes when healthy. 10 minutes now, due to his knee.

qrich
05-01-2012, 04:36 AM

I know plenty about Sofo, been following him since Clippers drafted him in 03 and he is nowhere near Kaman or Camby's production. Hell, as of now, I'd say he's equal to that of a Joshua Smith (UCLA), J'Mison Morgan (Baylor) and probably Renardo Sidney. Yet, EuroLeague claimed he's 10x the player Kaman and Camby can ever dream of being, and keeps ignoring it every single time its brought up.

Because it isn't true. You are just an idiot.

Right. I'm the idiot when you think Sofo is 10x the player Camby and Kaman are.

And yes it is. Comparing the NBA to EuroLeague is like comparing the UEFA Champions League to the CONCACAF Champions League.

Fiba basketball
05-01-2012, 04:37 AM
What I can tell you is that some of the old FIBA power base, like Vassilakopoulos and his friends in Serbia are trying to break away from FIBA and form Europe into its own basketball federation.

This way, the NBA and David Stern would no longer be able to control all the decisions about international basketball, as it has been in recent times.

This would not be something like FIBA Europe, which came under FIBA World control and NBA control in recent times, or like ULEB, which is just the clubs organized together.

It would be more something like UEFA without the clubs. Because Euroleague council committee is also always working in conjunction with the NBA.

So think like UEFA, but without the clubs.
You didnt awnser me . Will European NTs league be played , when will it start , how will it be organised ?

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Would love to see Champions league style play, but the NBA teams have no one of merit to compete with in their region. Maybe in 10-15 years some other nations in North America will be able to mess around once a year for a cup. Yea I would love FIBA to hold a world cup type event, but I think it is important than yearly international play continue.

This has nothing to do with clubs.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:38 AM
I know plenty about Sofo, been following him since Clippers drafted him in 03 and he is nowhere near Kaman or Camby's production. Hell, as of now, I'd say he's equal to that of a Joshua Smith (UCLA), J'Mison Morgan (Baylor) and probably Renardo Sidney. Yet, EuroLeague claimed he's 10x the player Kaman and Camby can ever dream of being, and keeps ignoring it every single time its brought up.

And tell you what, if you can link me to 25 IMPARTIAL analysts that say otherwise, then we can say it is the other way around.

You are retarded.

qrich
05-01-2012, 04:39 AM
You are retarded.

Thought so, nothing to say?

CONCACAF Champions League >>>> UEFA Champions League.

Chris Kaman's hair >> Sofoklis.

Fiba basketball
05-01-2012, 04:41 AM

And yes it is. Comparing the NBA to EuroLeague is like comparing the UEFA Champions League to the CONCACAF Champions League.
Sofo is better than Kaman ( not 10 times better but he is better ) , but Kaman is more productiv becouse he can play more minutes . So I would always chose Kaman over Sofo .

qrich
05-01-2012, 04:43 AM
Sofo is better than Kaman ( not 10 times better but he is better ) , but Kaman is more productiv becouse he can play more minutes . So I would always chose Kaman over Sofo .

Kaman was an All-Star in the NBA and went over to Germany and made a huge impact there as well. Sofo couldn't make it in the NBA Summer League against majority scrubs and can't stay on the court longer than Smith, Sidney nor Morgan. Fail to see how Sofo can even be considered to be better.

I mean, Kaman did well in BOTH FIBA and the NBA. Sofo is solid in FIBA but couldn't cut it in the Summer League.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:43 AM
You didnt awnser me . Will European NTs league be played , when will it start , how will it be organised ?

If FIBA and the NBA go ahead with this new plan and finalize it, even though FIBA Europe voted against it - then yes it will be.

It will start based on when FIBA Europe breaks away from FIBA World.

It will be organized by the Greek and Serbian federations from what I know. Which makes sense, as this is basically the old European basketball system where FIBA was practically made to begin with.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:44 AM

Just ignore him. He is an NBA only fan troll. He's never in his life seen a Euroleague game.

qrich
05-01-2012, 04:45 AM
Just ignore him. He is an NBA only fan troll. He's never in his life seen a Euroleague game.

Can't answer my question eh. Only troll here is you.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Can't answer my question eh. Only troll here is you.

Stop trolling a-hole.

qrich
05-01-2012, 04:47 AM
Stop trolling a-hole.

Answer my question, ignoramus.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Answer my question, ignoramus.

Welcome to my ignore list.

qrich
Welcome to my ignore list.

Thought so. How's Arkansas this time of year?

Fiba basketball
Kaman was an All-Star in the NBA and went over to Germany and made a huge impact there as well. Sofo couldn't make it in the NBA Summer League against majority scrubs and can't stay on the court longer than Smith, Sidney nor Morgan. Fail to see how Sofo can even be considered to be better.

I mean, Kaman did well in BOTH FIBA and the NBA. Sofo is solid in FIBA but couldn't cut it in the Summer League.
If they play 5 min a game Sofo would play better . But after 5 min Sofo needs to be benched because he is too fat and Kaman could countinou to play . Sofos biggest strenght is his biggest weeknes ( his body ) .

novocaine
05-01-2012, 04:52 AM
Thought so, nothing to say?

CONCACAF Champions League >>>> UEFA Champions League.

epic. in the run for worst post ever. not 1 single concacaf team would have any chance to survive UEFA CL group stage. hell even APOEL Nicosia would be record champs of the CONCACAF.

qrich
05-01-2012, 04:52 AM
If they play 5 min a game Sofo would play better . But after 5 min Sofo needs to be benched because he is too fat and Kaman could countinou to play . Sofos biggest strenght is his biggest weeknes ( his body ) .

Well, if the game was played with players shooting wide open 3s only, then Novak would be better than Jordan. Sofo is a bully, and deceptively quick/athletic, but I can't view his ceiling being higher than a Craig Smith and with him being 27 in a couple of months, I don't see him improving much more and Kaman is vastly superior to Smith, overall.

epic. in the run for worst post ever. not 1 single concacaf team would have any chance to survive UEFA CL group stage. hell even APOEL Nicosia would be record champs of the CONCACAF.

:hammerhead: @ not getting the point.

magnax1
05-01-2012, 04:54 AM
He's trying to make a point.

CeltsGarlic
05-01-2012, 04:56 AM
I absolutely hate it! What the **** this suppose to mean? Basketball tournament was my favorite event at Olympics, and now they will became boring shit, just like U-23 football... GTFO FIBA!

Fiba basketball
05-01-2012, 05:04 AM
Well, if the game was played with players shooting wide open 3s only, then Novak would be better than Jordan. Sofo is a bully, and deceptively quick/athletic, but I can't view his ceiling being higher than a Craig Smith and with him being 27 in a couple of months, I don't see him improving much more and Kaman is vastly superior to Smith, overall.

:hammerhead: @ not getting the point.
I dont know how to explain . If game was played 5 minutes than Sofo would be best C in the world but because its played 40/48 than he isnt because he can only play 5-10 minutes . Do you understand now ?

qrich
05-01-2012, 05:07 AM
I dont know how to explain . If game was played 5 minutes than Sofo would be best C in the world but because its played 40/48 than he isnt because he can only play 5-10 minutes . Do you understand now ?

Nah, I got you man, I'm not questioning the talent Sofo has. I've wanted him on the Clippers since they drafted him, thinking he'd be a great bench addition. The point I was trying to make is you can't judge a player based off what they can do in limited time or one thing they are great at and say they are superior, is all. :cheers:

Don't get me wrong, he's a bully, in your face type of player but he can't stay on the court and that drops his value. Great discussion though :cheers:

Fiba basketball
05-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Nah, I got you man, I'm not questioning the talent Sofo has. I've wanted him on the Clippers since they drafted him, thinking he'd be a great bench addition. The point I was trying to make is you can't judge a player based off what they can do in limited time or one thing they are great at and say they are superior, is all. :cheers:

Don't get me wrong, he's a bully, in your face type of player but he can't stay on the court and that drops his value. Great discussion though :cheers:
Yes , I agree thats why I said I would rather have Kaman ( or a lot of other Cs ) on my team . :cheers:

OmniStrife
05-01-2012, 05:32 AM
OP should not be allowed to post on the main NBA forum.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/18924306/david-stern-wants-to-restrict-olympics-to-23-and-under-players

David Stern wants to restrict Olympics to 23-and-under players

Olympic basketball might be changing yet again. At least if David Stern has his way.

Speaking on ESPN Radio, Stern said he would be in favor of making a new age restriction on who can participate in the basketball tournament.

"My own view is that post-London, we should be thinking about even what soccer does and make it 23 and under," Stern said Monday.

Rooster
05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/18924306/david-stern-wants-to-restrict-olympics-to-23-and-under-players

David Stern wants to restrict Olympics to 23-and-under players

Olympic basketball might be changing yet again. At least if David Stern has his way.

Speaking on ESPN Radio, Stern said he would be in favor of making a new age restriction on who can participate in the basketball tournament.

"My own view is that post-London, we should be thinking about even what soccer does and make it 23 and under," Stern said Monday.

Great I'm tired of seeing our team dominance over softies from Europe and all over the world. It's time for college boys and young bucks to experience Olympic spirit.

Euroleague
05-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Great I'm tired of seeing our team dominance over softies from Europe and all over the world. It's time for college boys and young bucks to experience Olympic spirit.

Stern wants all the players under 23, not just Team USA.

It would not be done to help international teams idiot.

Rooster
05-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Stern wants all the players under 23, not just Team USA.

It would not be done to help international teams idiot.

You have all those young Euros who been playing pro in the minor league like Euroleague. We can put our college boys against those experience pros and it will be an even field. :oldlol:

theaussieguy
05-01-2012, 10:11 PM
olympics should be it. Why you gotta *** everything up America. Olympics always has been the most sought after international achievement.

edit: do u wanna know why? I know a fair bit about soccer but im far from a fan. Despite that, i had no clue that FIBA was supposed to be the crux of international competition. Sounds pretty unremarkable to me. Worldwide an olympic medal can be appreciated.

Euroleague
05-02-2012, 04:04 AM
olympics should be it. Why you gotta *** everything up America. Olympics always has been the most sought after international achievement.

edit: do u wanna know why? I know a fair bit about soccer but im far from a fan. Despite that, i had no clue that FIBA was supposed to be the crux of international competition. Sounds pretty unremarkable to me. Worldwide an olympic medal can be appreciated.

Once again, the 2010 FIBA World Cup had more revenue and a higher TV audience than the 2008 Olympics basketball tournament did, even though people in the USA didn't even follow it.

So, if you take the USA market and force them to follow the FIBA World Cup, then it will make way more money than the Olympics does for both FIBA and the NBA.

In case you were unaware, the only thing Stern cares about is making money. The quality of the NBA has steadily gotten worse ever since he took over the NBA. He does everything with making money as the sole goal.

Lebron23
05-02-2012, 04:14 AM
How many total games will they play?

theaussieguy
05-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Once again, the 2010 FIBA World Cup had more revenue and a higher TV audience than the 2008 Olympics basketball tournament did, even though people in the USA didn't even follow it.

So, if you take the USA market and force them to follow the FIBA World Cup, then it will make way more money than the Olympics does for both FIBA and the NBA.

In case you were unaware, the only thing Stern cares about is making money. The quality of the NBA has steadily gotten worse ever since he took over the NBA. He does everything with making money as the sole goal.

brb accessing the deep web so i can take out a hit on Stern.

qrich
05-02-2012, 04:25 AM
You have all those young Euros who been playing pro in the minor league like Euroleague. We can put our college boys against those experience pros and it will be an even field. :oldlol:

So, this years U-23 Roster would look something like (off the top of my head):

PG: Kyriie Irving - Russell Westbrook - Jrue Holiday
SG: Eric Gordon - James Harden
SF: Kevin Durant - Beasley/P. George/Thompson
PF: Kevin Love - Blake Griffin
CE: Greg Monroe - DeMarcus Cousins - Anthony Davis

Rose would be on there if he was healthy too. How many U23s can actually compete with that?

bdreason
05-02-2012, 04:30 AM
U.S.A. hold the Gold Medal in both, so whatever. I'm fine with emphasizing the FIBA WC and only having International competition like the World Cup every 4 years. Send Amatuers/College players to the Olympics.