PDA

View Full Version : Who is the BEST ATHLETE of the 2000's ??

bwink23
05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
REGARDLESS OF SPORT.

:coleman:

TerranOP
05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
REGARDLESS OF SPORT.

:coleman:

Tiger Woods/Roger Federer

AMISTILLILL
05-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Eddy Curry.

ihoopallday
05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Lance Armstrong. Read his book in high school and it's amazing how much he's accomplished even with all the setbacks.

Lebron23
05-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Manny Pacquiao

inclinerator
05-05-2012, 08:08 PM
will smith

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Usain_Bolt_smiling_Berlin_2009.JPG/220px-Usain_Bolt_smiling_Berlin_2009.JPG

will smith

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/TigerWoodsOct2011.jpg/300px-TigerWoodsOct2011.jpg

will smith

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Floyd_Mayweather,_Jr._at_DeWalt_event.jpg/220px-Floyd_Mayweather,_Jr._at_DeWalt_event.jpg

ihoopallday
05-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Manny Pacquiao

Lol isn't Pacquiao like a God in the Philippines.

protox
05-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Usain Bolt without a doubt. Dude is a freak to be able to run that fast.

protox
05-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Lance Armstrong. Read his book in high school and it's amazing how much he's accomplished even with all the setbacks.

Questionable. I think he doped but shrugs. Seems like everyone in cycling does.

Odinn
05-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Roger Federer
15 Grand Slam titles
21 Grand Slam finals (10 consecutive finals)
24 Grand Slam semifinals (22 consecutive semifinals)
.883 winning in Grand Slams (188-25)
4 Year-End Championships
.825 winning in all competitions (663-141)
61 Titles - 85 finals for entire decade.

Eric Cartman
05-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Usain Bolt, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps.

SunsCaptain
05-05-2012, 08:52 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/Samanthav_03/Suns/top-gear.jpg

EnoughSaid
05-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Messi? Ronaldo? Tom Brady?

But in all honesty, it is Federer. Dude became arguably the GOAT Tennis player in this decade. :bowdown:

Kobe 4 The Win
05-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I've never seen a better athlete than Lebron. Size, strength, speed, leaping ability. I'm talking about his athleticism not accomplishments.

If you are looking for that kind of thing there are guys like Tiger, Kobe, Tim Duncan, Tom Brady, Lance Armstrong, Federer, Shaq.

ihoopallday
05-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I've never seen a better athlete than Lebron. Size, strength, speed, leaping ability. I'm talking about his athleticism not accomplishments.

If you are looking for that kind of thing there are guys like Tiger, Kobe, Tim Duncan, Tom Brady, Lance Armstrong, Federer, Shaq.

True. I just wanted to pick someone outside of basketball so I went with Lance Armstrong. I'd also pick Usain Bolt. Fastest human on the planet (that we know of).

bwink23
05-05-2012, 09:14 PM

I agree. From an all-around athletic standpoint, i can't think of anyone better than Lebron. Bolt is fast, but he's not a great leaper nor exceptionally strong.

Lebron = all-around beast of a man.

Nash
05-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Messi has scored 72 goals this season. Thats sick!

Odinn
05-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Messi has scored 72 goals this season. Thats sick!
Are we in 2000s currently?

bdreason
05-05-2012, 09:24 PM

My answer as well.

b1imtf
05-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Are we in 2000s currently?
Yup, 2012 :confusedshrug: 2000's will go until 2999

inclinerator
05-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Yup, 2012 :confusedshrug: 2000's will go until 2999
lol

(e)
05-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Michael Phelps.

lpublic_enemyl
05-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Tiger Woods

arifgokcen
05-05-2012, 09:49 PM
In terms of performance,without a doubt federer.

However best athlete also means best physical attributes.That of course goes to lebron.We may never see someone like him again.Perfect player for a lot of sports
265-270lbs low %5 body fat 44' vertical 4.4 40yard.

trooper
05-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Sorry but this is talking about athlete. Anyone mentioning Federer just simply doesn't watch tennis.

As a pure athlete, Federer isn't even the best in his sport, let alone across all sports. Granted, he's still a freak 'athlete' given his finesse, quickness, hand-eye coordination, but as a pure pure athlete Nadal, Djokovic, Monfils, along with many others are more impressive.

The reason he's won and accomplished so much is not because of athleticism. Its his grace and mastery of the sport from a technical standpoint, derived from concentration and passion for the game. It's as if he was born to just play tennis. You don't need extreme athleticism for that.

But, I guess my post is based on my own definition of athleticism and history of playing both basketball and tennis. I define athleticism as being able to literally jump out of the gym - unmatched speed, power, leaping and fitness. And having played tennis and basketball competitively during high school, basketball is definitely relatively much more tiring physically demanding.

With that, my answer would have to be Shaq or LeBron, honorable mention to Nadal. But you couldve probably guessed I only watch those two sports + soccer so couldn't comment on the freaks of nature who play football or box.

TheNaturalWR
05-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Calvin Johnson.

noob cake
05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
There are NBA SF at the same level as LeBron atheletically.

Usain Bolt dominating the sport/event that crowns the greatest athelete in the world. Nothing really beats the fastest man in the world. That is the single greatest achievement for an athelete.

http://thetraininggeek.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/usain_bolt_winning-cropped1.jpg

This = Domination = Greatest Athelete in the Greatest Single Sport/Event

SyRyanYang
05-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Sorry but this is talking about athlete. Anyone mentioning Federer just simply doesn't watch tennis.

As a pure athlete, Federer isn't even the best in his sport, let alone across all sports. Granted, he's still a freak 'athlete' given his finesse, quickness, hand-eye coordination, but as a pure pure athlete Nadal, Djokovic, Monfils, along with many others are more impressive.

The reason he's won and accomplished so much is not because of athleticism. Its his grace and mastery of the sport from a technical standpoint, derived from concentration and passion for the game. It's as if he was born to just play tennis. You don't need extreme athleticism for that.

But, I guess my post is based on my own definition of athleticism and history of playing both basketball and tennis. I define athleticism as being able to literally jump out of the gym - unmatched speed, power, leaping and fitness. And having played tennis and basketball competitively during high school, basketball is definitely relatively much more tiring physically demanding.

With that, my answer would have to be Shaq or LeBron, honorable mention to Nadal. But you couldve probably guessed I only watch those two sports + soccer so couldn't comment on the freaks of nature who play football or box.

Dude, you need to look "athlete" up in your dictionary:coleman:
My apology if English ain't your first language.

bwink23
05-06-2012, 12:02 AM
There are NBA SF at the same level as LeBron atheletically.

Usain Bolt dominating the sport/event that crowns the greatest athelete in the world. Nothing really beats the fastest man in the world. That is the single greatest achievement for an athelete.

http://thetraininggeek.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/usain_bolt_winning-cropped1.jpg

This = Domination = Greatest Athelete in the Greatest Single Sport/Event

Being one-dimensional is not the greatest athlete...

Usain Bolt has the fastest 100m and 200m...but that doesn't make him better than a Carl Lewis, who was great at sprints and long jumps.

bdreason
05-06-2012, 12:02 AM
]Nothing really beats the fastest man in the world.t

Says who? Running in a straight line doesn't impress me much.

TeamLAC
05-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Manny Pacquiao
:bowdown: YES!

SyRyanYang
05-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Being one-dimensional is not the greatest athlete...

Usain Bolt has the fastest 100m and 200m...but that doesn't make him better than a Carl Lewis, who was great at sprints and long jumps.

One-dimensional:biggums:
Federer can't play table tennis. Phelps can't dive. Woods ain't no baseball master.
And FYI Bolt can DUNK

MontaEllis24
05-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Manny Gawdquiao the gawd of the philippines :cheers:

bwink23
05-06-2012, 12:13 AM
One-dimensional:biggums:
Federer can't play table tennis. Phelps can't dive. Woods ain't no baseball master.
And FYI Bolt can DUNK

I could dunk when i was young, and i'm white and 5'9" and not an elite athlete. Being the fastest from point A to point B does not entail everything athletic, it is merely one dimension.

Athleticism is speed, strength, reaction time, coordination, quickness, agility.

SyRyanYang
05-06-2012, 12:17 AM
I could dunk when i was young, and i'm white and 5'9" and not an elite athlete. Being the fastest from point A to point B does not entail everything athletic, it is merely one dimension.

Athleticism is speed, strength, reaction time, coordination, quickness, agility.
Title says best athlete, not most athletic athlete:facepalm

bwink23
05-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Title says best athlete, not most athletic athlete:facepalm

Who's a better athlete than the one with the most athleticism?? :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

SyRyanYang
05-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Who's a better athlete than the one with the most athleticism?? :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
Lebron sucks, deal with it.

bwink23
05-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Lebron sucks, deal with it.

Interesting....:rolleyes:

Not really.

SyRyanYang
05-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Interesting....:rolleyes:

Not really.
OK. I'll give you that much.
Do you understand a lot of sports doesn't even require much athleticism. Say car racing, or Chess.

bwink23
05-06-2012, 12:28 AM
OK. I'll give you that much.
Do you understand a lot of sports doesn't even require much athleticism. Say car racing, or Chess.

You just called racing and chess of all things a sport.

Commence suicide at once.

No more responses from me to you.

SyRyanYang
05-06-2012, 12:31 AM
You just called racing and chess of all things a sport.

Commence suicide at once.

No more responses from me to you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_sport_federations
loser.

bwink23
05-06-2012, 12:33 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_sport_federations
loser.

Welcome to the ignore list....Have a Nice Day

http://www.jankytshirts.com/images/uploads/HAVE%20A%20NICE%20DAY.gif

SyRyanYang
05-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the ignore list....Have a Nice Day

http://www.jankytshirts.com/images/uploads/HAVE%20A%20NICE%20DAY.gif
I thought you said no more response?:roll: :coleman: :lebroncry:

bwink23
05-06-2012, 12:38 AM
"This message is hidden because SyRyanYang is on your ignore list. "

:party: :party: :hammertime:

NumberSix
05-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Serena Williams

SuperPippen
05-06-2012, 01:42 AM
Lin Dan

k0kakw0rld
05-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Manny Pacquiao
Mr 43-0

Matty2Cool
05-06-2012, 02:13 AM
best athlete or most athletic person? too many people saying LBJ when there are numerous NFL players as athletic and more than him. Sorry I know this is a basketball forum but generally speaking NFL players are ten fold more athletic than basketball players. inb4 shitstorm

anyway best athlete in terms of accomplishments and not athletic ability i'd go with Woods or Lance

trooper
05-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Dude, you need to look "athlete" up in your dictionary:coleman:
My apology if English ain't your first language.

My definition of an athlete is just a lot narrower than yours I guess. And like I said in my op, my post was based on my own definition, not yours. I define 'athlete' as someone who is extremely 'athletic' nothing more, nothing less.

I interpreted this thread as who the best pure athlete was, regardless of sport. Not who was the greatest or best sports player was. For me, there's a slight difference.

You can be a great sportsman/player without necessarily being a good athlete or athletic. As stated, Federer is a phenomenal sportsman/tennis player, and if OP was asking about who the best player at their respective sport was, then yeah, I'd say him or Messi. But both aren't exactly poster definitions of 'athletic.'

Yes, English is my first language, and if you're trying to be jab at my language then at least develop some grammar skills.

comerb
05-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Questionable. I think he doped but shrugs. Seems like everyone in cycling does.

I find shitting on a person's accomplishments and reputation w/out proof to be Questionable.

He might dope, hell a lot of athletes might. Until they are actually proven of doing so, it shouldn't ever have a place in the conversation.

comerb
05-06-2012, 06:32 AM
best athlete or most athletic person? too many people saying LBJ when there are numerous NFL players as athletic and more than him. Sorry I know this is a basketball forum but generally speaking NFL players are ten fold more athletic than basketball players. inb4 shitstorm

anyway best athlete in terms of accomplishments and not athletic ability i'd go with Woods or Lance

It's apples and oranges. There are some RBs in the NFL that are absolute freaks in terms of speed, strength, and agility... but none of them are 6'8. James probably isn't the most purely athletic person, but when you factor in his size and skills, he certainly stands out from the crowd.

You also have to consider in stamina, in which case Lance Armstrong makes most of these guys look like lightweights.

CeltsGarlic
05-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Some of yall are fucin idiots!!!!!!!! There are no such as thing as " my definition of an athlete" ITS ONLY ONE AND ITS MEAN ---------->> A person who is involved in some sort of sports.

And not the most athletic you stupid morons...

Punpun
05-06-2012, 09:16 AM
The best athlete is not Federer or Lebron or whatever. Nope. The best athlete is the QUEEN, the IMPERATRICE of wheelchair Tennis.

She has like hundreds of wins and 1 DEFEAT. 1 SINCE 2001. She is currently in a 401 STRAIGHT WIN STREAK. 401. LET THAT SINK IN.

Undefeated since 2003. UNDEFEATED.

She is by far the BEST ATHLETE of ALL TIMES.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of....27s_Sing les

Look at how DOMINATING she is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Vergeer

That's her.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6d/Esther_Vergeer_2010.jpg/220px-Esther_Vergeer_2010.jpg

Esther Vergeer.

/thread

arifgokcen
05-06-2012, 09:25 AM
The best athlete is not Federer or Lebron or whatever. Nope. The best athlete is the QUEEN, the IMPERATRICE of wheelchair Tennis.

She has like hundreds of wins and 1 DEFEAT. 1 SINCE 2001. She is currently in a 401 STRAIGHT WIN STREAK. 401. LET THAT SINK IN.

Undefeated since 2003. UNDEFEATED.

She is by far the BEST ATHLETE of ALL TIMES.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of....27s_Sing les

Look at how DOMINATING she is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Vergeer

That's her.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6d/Esther_Vergeer_2010.jpg/220px-Esther_Vergeer_2010.jpg

Esther Vergeer.

/thread
wow

Damn

I didnt even know who she is and i pride myself in knowing these kind of stuff
\thread indeed

rmt
05-06-2012, 10:03 AM
If you mean who is best at his sport, I'd say Roger Federer. He is hands down the GOAT tennis player ever. Aside from the accomplishments, he's a natural - the timing, the instincts, the strokes, the movement are unsurpassed. He's capable of jaw-dropping shots and IMO his 23 straight Grand Slam semifinal record will never be broken (that's almost 6 years of not being sick, injured, having a bad day).

For those who say Tiger, he's not considered GOAT (Jack Nicklaus is) and hasn't done anything since his cheating scandal.

It's hard to say who's the greatest athlete since each sport requires different skills.

ihoopallday
05-06-2012, 11:05 AM
If you mean who is best at his sport, I'd say Roger Federer. He is hands down the GOAT tennis player ever. Aside from the accomplishments, he's a natural - the timing, the instincts, the strokes, the movement are unsurpassed. He's capable of jaw-dropping shots and IMO his 23 straight Grand Slam semifinal record will never be broken (that's almost 6 years of not being sick, injured, having a bad day).

For those who say Tiger, he's not considered GOAT (Jack Nicklaus is) and hasn't done anything since his cheating scandal.

It's hard to say who's the greatest athlete since each sport requires different skills.

If were going by who's best at their sport in the 2000's then I'll go with Floyd Mayweather, Usain Bolt, Tiger, Messi, Armstrong, Phelps, Peyton Manning, Kobe, Pujols and of course your pick Federer. All those athletes have been the best at their respective sports category. I know there's a lot more, but I haven't followed EVERY sports category closely.

Teanett
05-06-2012, 11:26 AM
igorant bastards!
there can be only one:http://www.iceposter.com/thumbs/G206556_b.jpg
the great carolina kl

Punpun
05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Come short compared to Esther Vergeer son.

Nash
05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=Teanett]igorant bastards!
there can be only one:http://www.iceposter.com/thumbs/G206556_b.jpg
the great carolina kl

LamarOdom
05-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Kobe Bryant:confusedshrug: 5 rings:bowdown:

Teanett
05-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Come short compared to Esther Vergeer son.

esther vergeer has 1 loss since 2001. carolina is undefeated in multi-disciplinary competitions.

caro<esther

Nash
05-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Oh, and talking about championships. Zlatan Ibrahimovic has won 8 straight league titles and 9 in 10 years. Dude is 30 and has won the championship every year since he was 22. Now thats sick..

Teanett
05-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh, and talking about championships. Zlatan Ibrahimovic has won 8 straight league titles and 9 in 10 years. Dude is 30 and has won the championship every year since he was 22. Now thats sick..

yes, but the barca/inter debacle puts some doubts on him.
in terms of football success, puyol, xavi, pique and iniesta have a better case, imo.

Nash
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
yes, but the barca/inter debacle puts some doubts on him.
in terms of football success, puyol, xavi, pique and iniesta have a better case, imo.
No, not really. Those guys play together in a stacked team in a league with only 1 opponent in Real. Zlatan won the title literally by himself to Inter after them not winning for almost 20 years. Same thing with Milan who never won the championship in 10 years before they got Ibra.

Teanett
05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
No, not really. Those guys play together in a stacked team in a league with only 1 opponent in Real. Zlatan won the title literally by himself to Inter after them not winning for almost 20 years. Same thing with Milan who never won the championship in 10 years before they got Ibra.

and one world and one european championship along with two champions league titles.
in ibra's case you need to look at the head-to-head between inter and barca.
he played for both teams facing the other and the team he was on always lost while the other team went on to win the title.

also, every team ibra played on after ajax was stacked as well.

Punpun
05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
esther vergeer has 1 loss since 2001. carolina is undefeated in multi-disciplinary competitions.

caro<esther

I totally agree. Esther > Caro.

Teanett
05-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I totally agree. Esther > Caro.
ha, guess i fukked up there.:oldlol:

Punpun
05-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Seems like it. :D

Eat Like A Bosh
05-06-2012, 12:35 PM
In terms of most accomplished this decade, it could be any of these
Roger Federer,Tiger, Kobe, Duncan, Tom Brady, Lance Armstrong, Shaq.

taucesays
05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
In terms of most accomplished this decade, it could be any of these
Roger Federer,Tiger, Kobe, Duncan, Tom Brady, Lance Armstrong, Shaq.

Manning over Brady. Manning's toe nails are more clutch than just about everyone mentioned in this thread.