PDA

View Full Version : Right now, who is the better player: Danilo Gallinari or Carmelo Anthony?

hawkfan
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Right now, who is the better player: Danilo Gallinari or Carmelo Anthony?

EnoughSaid
05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
:wtf: Are you serious? Did you not see how Melo scored with the toughest shots possible?

kurple
05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Melo is a better scorer and rebounder

Gallo is a better defender and playmaker

Melo might be the better player but I wouldnt trade a healthy Gallo for him

NugzFan
05-11-2012, 01:12 PM
It's easy for nugget fans to say we wouldn't trade gallo for Melo but I understand everyone else would pick Melo

Knicksfever2010
05-11-2012, 01:12 PM

lol @ gallo being a better defender

Droid101
05-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Melo, but Gallo is close (and more versatile).

Basically, the Nuggets raped the Knicks on that trade. Total, complete, utter rape.

qrich
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Melo over the Cawk

kurple
05-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Melo, but Gallo is close (and more versatile).

Basically, the Nuggets raped the Knicks on that trade. Total, complete, utter rape.
both teams got what they wanted :coleman:

Chrono90
Melo has been a disappointment to be honest. He should be a bigger star than he is now.

But has Melo improved throughout the years? Has he been working on his strength and conditioning? Has his numbers been better every year?

I think he can be more hard working.

He has the skill but not the will -> Story of Melo's life

Xiao Yao You
I'd take the Italian.

Chrono90
05-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Used to be a big Melo fan but i like players with great work ethnic. I don't see that in Melo.

Droid101
05-11-2012, 01:21 PM
both teams got what they wanted :coleman:
Some people want things they don't need.

Anyway, two playoffs after the trade, which team is looking better still?

The Nuggets absolutely and totally raped the Knicks on that trade.

niko
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Melo just played a month defending, rebounding and passing (look at the numbers) and regularly dropping 35 pts and up on efficient shooting.

People need to stop being ridiculous.

Whoah10115
05-11-2012, 01:40 PM

You don't watch much, ay?

Melo has potential as a 1v1 defender, tho. He really does. Gallo is more all-around, as a defender. But he regularly plays hard man defense and even tho he's super slow, he's a very good man defender.

Melo should use effort more often.

Melo is a better player...then again, if his team doesn't do much better next year I'll stop saying it. Because you're supposed to play well and win. And this is a team game. The best players are the ones who do the most to help their team win.

Melo has done nothing but regress the last two seasons.

GOBB
05-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Melo is the better player. Not even a close argument either.

Rowe
05-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Some people want things they don't need.

Anyway, two playoffs after the trade, which team is looking better still?

The Nuggets absolutely and totally raped the Knicks on that trade.
We're over a full year removed from the deal.

Lets look at the assets acquired post-trade.

Knicks:
Carmelo Anthony
Tyson Chandler (Chauncey Billups waived)

Nuggets:
Danilo Gallinari
Wilson Chandler
Andre Miller (Trade for Raymond Felton)
Jordan Hamilton
Timofey Mozgov

So the Knicks turned Gallo/Chandler/Mozgov into an All-NBA/All Star SF and used Chauncey Billups' expirer to acquire the 2012 Defensive Player of the Year in Tyson Chandler

Denver turned Melo & Billups expirer into acquiring Gallo who's averaged 14.6 PPG in Denver and signed for $44 Million, Chandler who's averaged 10.5 PPG and signed for $37 Million, an expiring Andre Miller who's playing a key role in their 1st Round series against the Lakers with 12.7 PPG/5.7 APG, Mozgov & Jordan Hamilton.

Denver got a fresh slate to rebuild with young talent in hopes that each player further develops into helping the team become a legit contender in the West.

New York got 2 members of their core for a team that isn't rebuilding but trying to win a Championship in the next 3 years.

Deal is about even.

Nuggets fans wouldn't be happy to have a "superstar" player like Melo who couldn't lead them to a NBA Finals despite the roster turnvoer around him, while Knicks fans wouldn't be happy with managment trying to win a title depending on young players like Gallo & Chandler to step up and play like stars.

LamarOdom
05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
lol this isn't even a serious Q, Carmelo is top 10 Gallo isn't even top 30-40.

DTreats
05-11-2012, 02:26 PM

Cause he broke your heart, we get it.

InspiredLebowski
05-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Danilo's the Italian Danny Granger

NugzFan
05-11-2012, 02:30 PM

you're right. hes a far better defender.

arifgokcen
05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Let me put it this way,had gallo been defended like melo has been,he would have probably averaged around 8-10ppg on fg%35-40

Droid101

Knicks:
Carmelo Anthony

Nuggets:
Danilo Gallinari
Wilson Chandler
Jordan Hamilton
Timofey Mozgov

So the Knicks turned Gallo/Chandler/Mozgov into an All-NBA/All Star SF and used Chauncey Billups' expirer to acquire the 2012 Defensive Player of the Year in Tyson Chandler

Denver turned Melo & Billups expirer into acquiring Gallo who's averaged 14.6 PPG in Denver and signed for $44 Million, Chandler who's averaged 10.5 PPG and signed for $37 Million, an expiring Andre Miller who's playing a key role in their 1st Round series against the Lakers with 12.7 PPG/5.7 APG, Mozgov & Jordan Hamilton.

Denver got a fresh slate to rebuild with young talent in hopes that each player further develops into helping the team become a legit contender in the West.

New York got 2 members of their core for a team that isn't rebuilding but trying to win a Championship in the next 3 years.

Deal is about even.

Nuggets fans wouldn't be happy to have a "superstar" player like Melo who couldn't lead them to a NBA Finals despite the roster turnvoer around him, while Knicks fans wouldn't be happy with managment trying to win a title depending on young players like Gallo & Chandler to step up and play like stars.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110817043545/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/d/d1/Oh-he-mad.jpg

niko
you're right. hes a far better defender.
Melo's been very good on defense since D'Antoni has been gone. He guards the better forward every game.

NugzFan
05-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Knicks:
Carmelo Anthony

Nuggets:
Danilo Gallinari
Wilson Chandler
Jordan Hamilton
Timofey Mozgov

Deal is about even.

:oldlol:

LamarOdom
05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Let me put it this way,had gallo been defended like melo has been,he would probably average about 7-8ppg on fg%35-40

It's not like his numbers are impressing in the series 15 points on 38% shooting.

TheSilentKiller
05-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Melo is the better player. Not even a close argument either.

QFT

Rowe
05-11-2012, 02:36 PM
:oldlol:
Being honest, we got the better end of the deal.

Nuggets have a lot of depth but no "star".
Knicks have a "star" but no depth.

Which one is easier to find?

We'll find out in due time.

StateOfMind12
05-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Melo is the better player but if I already had a star on my team I would rather have Gallo. Melo is just an individual star that can't co-exist with any other star players. It's just the way it is and it's just the way he plays the game.

Melo is like an inefficient version of Adrian Dantley.

Eat Like A Bosh
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Carmelo Anthony and it's not really close. Cocaine is hell of a drug.

NugzFan
05-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Being honest, we got the better end of the deal.

Nuggets have a lot of depth but no "star".
Knicks have a "star" but no depth.

Which one is easier to find?

We'll find out in due time.

being honest, :roll: :roll: :roll:

knick fans LOVE talking about "star" power. big names, big time stats, all star games, highlights...enjoy all of that.

niko
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
being honest, :roll: :roll: :roll:

knick fans LOVE talking about "star" power. big names, big time stats, all star games, highlights...enjoy all of that.
You haven't won shit either. It's nice you can knock off the Lakers but the thought is to try to win a title. Neither of us is there, both of us need to make more moves, our move is we need a complimentary star, yours is you need the star. Neither is impossible, but i get the feeling some Nugget fans think you are already there. Not even close.

Droid101
05-11-2012, 03:17 PM
You haven't won shit either. It's nice you can knock off the Lakers but the thought is to try to win a title. Neither of us is there, both of us need to make more moves, our move is we need a complimentary star, yours is you need the star. Neither is impossible, but i get the feeling some Nugget fans think you are already there. Not even close.
As an NBA and Laker fan, if the Lakers somehow had to trade their entire roster for another roster (basketball reasons), I would trade for the Nuggets 100 times out of 100 before I would trade for the Knicks.

arifgokcen
05-11-2012, 03:18 PM
It's not like his numbers are impressing in the series 15 points on 38% shooting.

+111111111
True indeed

niko
05-11-2012, 03:19 PM
As an NBA and Laker fan, if the Lakers somehow had to trade their entire team for another team (basketball reasons), I would trade for the Nuggets 100 times out of 100 before I would trade for the Knicks.
Good for you. They still haven't won a title, and the goal is to win a title, not to be upper mediocre. To compare teams to the Knicks as a measure of success is great for most teams, but its still stupid.

The Nuggets are better than us, sure. But people want to declare them this upper crust about to win a title team. They're not. Do you think they are?

NugzFan
05-11-2012, 03:23 PM

i know. the only difference is nugget fans dont make stupid claims like knick fans do all the time. :oldlol: (btw, which nugget fan thinks we are close to a title...just find 1. thanks)

you guys keep talking about star power and the "big 3" leading you to titles. in fact the only thing you guys have to hang on to in terms of the trade, is that its all leading up to winning rings and championships.

NugzFan
05-11-2012, 03:24 PM
As an NBA and Laker fan, if the Lakers somehow had to trade their entire roster for another roster (basketball reasons), I would trade for the Nuggets 100 times out of 100 before I would trade for the Knicks.

every of the other 28 teams would.

Droid101
05-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Good for you. They still haven't won a title, and the goal is to win a title, not to be upper mediocre. To compare teams to the Knicks as a measure of success is great for most teams, but its still stupid.

The Nuggets are better than us, sure. But people want to declare them this upper crust about to win a title team. They're not. Do you think they are?
I think they're a hell of a lot closer than the Knicks are. If they package up some of their assets for a star, I'd put them in the conversation.

What are the Knicks going to do? Trade Amar'e for some role players? Good luck with trading his uninsurable, terrible contract.

niko
05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
i know. the only difference is nugget fans dont make stupid claims like knick fans do all the time. :oldlol: (btw, which nugget fan thinks we are close to a title...just find 1. thanks)

you guys keep talking about star power and the "big 3" leading you to titles. in fact the only thing you guys have to hang on to in terms of the trade, is that its all leading up to winning rings and championships.
Why am i taking shit? The only things ive said are Gallo is not better than Melo (he's not, you are a retard if you think so) and McGhee is not a surefire franchise center (exactly that, not McGhee sucks or anythign like that).

So if you want to fight with Knick fans, go ahead, im not in. If you want to say Gallo is better than see above (and you're retarded).

ClutchOver9000
05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
:lol at ppl ranking Melo lower and lower by the day and others circle-jerking in agreement...

It went from who's better; Lebron or Melo

to....who's better; Durant or Melo

to....who's better; Pierce or Melo

now its Gallo or Melo...

I fully expect in the next couple days for the ISH community to unanimously rank Luol Deng a better player than Melo.

then...Granger...

so on and so forth...

:rolleyes:

Droid101
05-11-2012, 03:30 PM
:lol at ppl ranking Melo lower and lower by the day and others circle-jerking in agreement...

It went from who's better; Lebron or Melo

to....who's better; Durant or Melo

to....who's better; Pierce or Melo

now its Gallo or Melo...

I fully expect in the next couple days for the ISH community to unanimously rank Luol Deng a better player than Melo.

then...Granger...

so on and so forth...

:rolleyes:
Okay, and you see that those conversations were eventually proven true.

LeBron IS better than Melo.

Durant IS better than Melo.

Pierce isn't better, but shit, he's like 90, he SHOULDN'T be better.

ClutchOver9000
05-11-2012, 03:32 PM

LBJ/Durant yes.

Pierce IMO is debatable.

Everyone else is just a :facepalm

GOBB
05-11-2012, 03:38 PM

What makes Durant better than Carmelo?

kurple
05-11-2012, 03:45 PM
What makes Durant better than Carmelo?
he helps his team win. consistently

Teanett
05-11-2012, 03:48 PM
true.

GOBB
05-11-2012, 04:06 PM

OKC has an elite team. Not hard to win consistently with that. :confusedshrug:

NumberSix
05-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Gallo. Melo is a joke.

LBJDW305
05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Give me the Italian mamba at half the price...

NewYorkNoPicks
05-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Wow nothing I hate more than people knowingly lying to themselves just because they hold a bias.

You don't like Melo thats fine, but stop lying to yourself.

Gallinari on this Knicks team wouldn't even get us out of the lottery.

knickscity
05-11-2012, 04:32 PM
He isn't doing it by himself.

kurple
05-11-2012, 04:38 PM
He isn't doing it by himself.
Melo got help as well.. He just doesnt know how to play well/win consistently with other stars

Sarcastic
05-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Melo got help as well.. He just doesnt know how to play well/win consistently with other stars

Sure he does. He just doesn't play well in a point guard driven system with Toney Douglas running the point.

LBJDW305
05-11-2012, 04:45 PM
melo-5 games and gone FISHIN
Gallo- fighting on game 7....

Droid101
05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Sure he does. He just doesn't play well in a point guard driven system with Toney Douglas running the point.
Actually, stats don't lie.

Amar'e without Melo: Knicks +0.6

Melo without Amar'e: Knicks +6.0

Melo and Amar'e Together: -8.0

NewYorkNoPicks
05-11-2012, 04:49 PM

So is Matt Bonner... Spurs advance so Bonner is god right?

Gallos on a deeper team with a bunch of scorers who can create their own shot, plus 2 top level point guards.

Knicks had Melo and JR as the only 2 players who could create their own shot.

Jasi
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I am by far the biggest fan of Gallo on this board, but come on, don't let the hate blind you.
They are not on the same level.

NuggetsFan
05-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Melo is easily the better player than Gallo, ANYBODY including Nuggets fans that try to deny that are clearly fooling themselves. Gallo's younger, cheaper contract, plays within a team game and plays with more effort on defense consistently. Gallo's a better passer IMO .. Melo isn't as bad in that area as people make him out to be tho. Defensively Gallo probably has the edge, only because he consistently plays it. Scoring it's like .. a huuuge gap. Rebounding Melo's easily better than him at as well.

That being said I can honestly say I wouldn't trade them straight up for eachother. Don't think Melo utilizes his talent around him that well. Think he's at his best individually when he has to carry the load and that doesn't translate to wins IMO.

I can say with 100% that those Denver teams in the past would have completely rolled over down 3-1.

LBJDW305
05-11-2012, 04:55 PM
So is Matt Bonner... Spurs advance so Bonner is god right?

Gallos on a deeper team with a bunch of scorers who can create their own shot, plus 2 top level point guards.

Knicks had Melo and JR as the only 2 players who could create their own shot.

Melo is a better player...but doesn't make his team a better team

NuggetsFan
05-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Nobody thinks were there. Were in a far better position than the Knicks IMO. Denver has tons of flexibility, draft picks, still have their ammensty. Knicks are pretty much set with what they have in the larger sense. Plus Denver's still pretty young. Look at Ty Lawson .. first year starting. Comes out in game 6 and goes ham in an elimination game. Who's to say next year he doesn't semi break out and average like 19\8 and becomes Tony Parker lite similar to what the Spurs team is doing right now? Who's to say Gallo finally stays healthy and continues what he started at the beggining of the year.

I think Denver is trying to build in the mold of this Spurs team. Nobody on the Spurs team is in the same caliber of a Carmelo or Dirk.

Anyways it was fun before but people need to stop comparing the two teams. NY wanted a star player, Denver's star player wanted out. Denver got a great package, NY got a star player. Teams aren't even in the same conference, just because Denver's been better since the trade doesn't mean NY still didn't want a star player. If the Knicks become better than Denver, Carmelo still wanted out and Denver had to make the trade.

DGARAS
05-11-2012, 05:03 PM
rather have kept danilo

NewYorkNoPicks
05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Melo is a better player...but doesn't make his team a better team

Neither does Kobe, so whats your point?

Every player has different strengths, not everyone can be LeBron James.

Chris Bosh doesn't improve his team, neither does Andrew Bynum. Paul Pierce isnt a distributor, he's a flat out scorer. Different players contribute different things to their team; Melos contribution, just like Pierce, just like Kobe, just like Monta Ellis, etc is to be a flat out elite scorer who can get you 25+ every single night. On top of that Melo is an elite rebounder for the SF position, for years he's grabbed 6+ boards a game. So don't act like he doesn't contribute in other areas. And if youve WATCHED him play, not just looked at stats, he's an excellent passer even though he doesn't get many assists. So he's a lot more well rounded than you think

Fact of the matter is Melo needs a team built around him the same way the Lakers have constructed their team around Kobe. You'd probably have to add some shooters as well though.

NuggetsFan
05-11-2012, 05:09 PM

lol ya but if NY had Gallo they wouldn't have even made the playoffs considering he woulda been injured half the year. Not like Gallo on the Knicks would beat the Heat either

Rowe
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
That being said I can honestly say I wouldn't trade them straight up for eachother. Don't think Melo utilizes his talent around him that well. Think he's at his best individually when he has to carry the load and that doesn't translate to wins IMO.
So Melo gets to a WCF, which is the farthest a Nuggets team has ever gone and now his style of play is unable to translate into wins? He single-handedly changed the culture/direction of the Nuggets franchise after being drafted and led them to the Playoffs every season. There isn't any player who was the #1 option on their team who has accomplished that feat.

Yes, his style of play translates into wins. The problem is that he needs other reliable players around him to help him win a Championship. Not just reliable players in the regular season, but guys who step up in the post-season. It sound simple but some guys spend their entire career looking for that perfect season where things come together for them to do it.

I can say with 100% that those Denver teams in the past would have completely rolled over down 3-1.
Who was the coach of those same Denver teams? George Karl.

He's the true common denominator.

The whole mindset has in part been cultivated by George Karl throwing Melo & other former players he coached under the bus to defend his own inability to win the big games. That is what George Karl is known to do until he quits when there isn't anyone else to take the blame.

NuggetsFan
05-11-2012, 05:22 PM
So Melo gets to a WCF, which is the farthest a Nuggets team has ever gone and now his style of play is unable to translate into wins? He single-handedly changed the culture/direction of the Nuggets franchise after being drafted and led them to the Playoffs every season. There isn't any player who was the #1 option on their team who has accomplished that feat.

Yes, his style of play translates into wins. The problem is that he needs other reliable players around him to help him win a Championship. Not just reliable players in the regular season, but guys who step up in the post-season. It sound simple but some guys spend their entire career looking for that perfect season where things come together for them to do it.

I think I said that wrong. The year he made the WCF was probably one of his worst individual seasons statistically. I think Melo's better suited being that 25-26 point scorer, when on some teams he doesn't need to be. Like for example this current Nuggets team which I was talking about.

He won a national championship in college too. In no way am I saying Melo is a loser. Heck I know as well as anybody he isn't, I watched him his entire career. Just that I don't think he'd fit perfectly into a Pierce role in Boston when they won a championship. Think he's more like a Kobe where he needs to be shooting lots and scoring lots to be at his 100% best.

It was no way a knock on Carmelo at all. He's easily better than Gallo, I was justifying why I wouldn't trade them straight up for eachother. Cap space, age, Carmelo not being able to fully utilize this team are the reasons.

Rowe
05-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Neither does Kobe, so whats your point?

Every player has different strengths, not everyone can be LeBron James.

Chris Bosh doesn't improve his team, neither does Andrew Bynum. Paul Pierce isnt a distributor, he's a flat out scorer. Different players contribute different things to their team; Melos contribution, just like Pierce, just like Kobe, just like Monta Ellis, etc is to be a flat out elite scorer who can get you 25+ every single night. On top of that Melo is an elite rebounder for the SF position, for years he's grabbed 6+ boards a game. So don't act like he doesn't contribute in other areas. And if youve WATCHED him play, not just looked at stats, he's an excellent passer even though he doesn't get many assists. So he's a lot more well rounded than you think

Fact of the matter is Melo needs a team built around him the same way the Lakers have constructed their team around Kobe. You'd probably have to add some shooters as well though.
Exactly.

I dont put Melo in the same realm as Kobe as a player because Kobe has a completely different mindset when it comes to basketball. They both are scorers, but Kobe's a guy who truly leads on the court and directs the entire team around him because he doesn't want to lose.

I put Melo in the same group with guys like LeBron, Dirk, Pierce, & I'll even throw Wade in there too. They want to win the game for their team and will do whatever it takes to win but its not just because they hate losing. But for them to win a Championship you've got to put a good team around them with true leaders to provide that extra motivation. It may only happen 1 time in their career, but it defends their career/style of play from criticism if they do it. The longer you go without doing it, the more people put the problem on you.

Remember everyone would say Dirk was a choker & that he couldn't win a NBA Title by being a finesse PF who doesn't play a lot in the post and isn't know for defense. When he finally did it, all of that negative criticism stopped. Now I fully expect him to never get back to another NBA Finals but nobody will say anything about it because he won a Championship.:confusedshrug: Thats how it goes.

LamarOdom
05-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Gallo. Melo is a joke.

A joke that averaged 28 ppg against the supposed best defender in the league and Battier.

JohnnyWall
05-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Carmelo.

Gallinari flops so much that it costs his team points and defensive stops.

Whoah10115
OKC has an elite team. Not hard to win consistently with that. :confusedshrug:

Based on what they've actually done, there isn't any kind of argument for Melo over Durant.

What there is, is an argument for Pierce over all of them but Lebron. But since he's like 90, and Doc runs that piece of shit offense, people continue to overlook him.

But for this thread, right now, of course Melo is better than Danilo. Carmelo is the 4th best SF and Gallo is trying to get into the top 10.

chazzy
How much shit would Melo get if he was averaging 15 on 38% in a series right now?

NuggetsFan
05-11-2012, 05:30 PM
How much shit would Melo get if he was averaging 15 on 38% in a series right now?

Well Melo has shot below 40% in the playoffs multiple times, but agreed. Can't even compare them, Melo's on another tier and in a different role.

Better question is what would have happened if Melo flopped like Gallo did at the end of the game that cost Denver that 3 and pretty much sealed the game for L.A? :confusedshrug:

Rowe
05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I think I said that wrong. The year he made the WCF was probably one of his worst individual seasons statistically. I think Melo's better suited being that 25-26 point scorer, when on some teams he doesn't need to be. Like for example this current Nuggets team which I was talking about.

He won a national championship in college too. In no way am I saying Melo is a loser. Heck I know as well as anybody he isn't, I watched him his entire career. Just that I don't think he'd fit perfectly into a Pierce role in Boston when they won a championship. Think he's more like a Kobe where he needs to be shooting lots and scoring lots to be at his 100% best.

It was no way a knock on Carmelo at all. He's easily better than Gallo, I was justifying why I wouldn't trade them straight up for eachother. Cap space, age, Carmelo not being able to fully utilize this team are the reasons.
Thats fair & reasonable.

From my standpoint I wouldn't trade Melo for Gallo either, even if you threw in Chandler & Mozgov. But, I think we're both at those conclusions because we realize that we wouldn't be better off with what we once had so the only direction we can go is to keep experimenting with this new situation.

I just find it ridiculous that you've got NBA fans who go out their way to blast Melo to the point such a ridiculous thread was made and some retards are actually in agreement with it.

niko
05-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Well Melo has shot below 40% in the playoffs multiple times, but agreed. Can't even compare them, Melo's on another tier and in a different role.

Better question is what would have happened if Melo flopped like Gallo did at the end of the game that cost Denver that 3 and pretty much sealed the game for L.A? :confusedshrug:
Melo moves too deliberate, it would have looked really ridiculous. To fly back 12 feet like Gallo did would have taken 14 seconds. I'm thinking it would not have gotten the call! In all seriousness, Melo doesn't flop much, just the occasional duncanesque "flail my arms to show i was hit".

I loved that flop, i want a GIF of someone doing a hadoken or something and Gallo flying back. :lol

NewYorkNoPicks
05-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Exactly.

I dont put Melo in the same realm as Kobe as a player because Kobe has a completely different mindset when it comes to basketball. They both are scorers, but Kobe's a guy who truly leads on the court and directs the entire team around him because he doesn't want to lose.

I put Melo in the same group with guys like LeBron, Dirk, Pierce, & I'll even throw Wade in there too. They want to win the game for their team and will do whatever it takes to win but its not just because they hate losing. But for them to win a Championship you've got to put a good team around them with true leaders to provide that extra motivation. It may only happen 1 time in their career, but it defends their career/style of play from criticism if they do it. The longer you go without doing it, the more people put the problem on you.

Remember everyone would say Dirk was a choker & that he couldn't win a NBA Title by being a finesse PF who doesn't play a lot in the post and isn't know for defense. When he finally did it, all of that negative criticism stopped. Now I fully expect him to never get back to another NBA Finals but nobody will say anything about it because he won a Championship.:confusedshrug: Thats how it goes.

Yup. You have to build a championship calibur team around a guy. If you took Kobe and JR Smith and tried to call that a team id be surprised if they go any higher than the 8th seed. Even MJ couldnt do it on his own; he needed a perrenial allstar sidekick (Pippen), an elite defender (rodman), an above average pf in Horace Grant, one of the best shooters in the league (Kerr) etc.

Also youre right about the longer you go without winning, the blame becomes more focused on that player. All it takes is 1 ring to silence the criticism...looking back i wish Ewing didnt get screwed out of his; hed be looked upon as a much better player today

kurple
05-11-2012, 05:36 PM
how many times have Melo had 7 assists along with 0 turnovers... just sayin

to do that in a elimination game is pretty impressive

ClutchOver9000
05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
I just find it ridiculous that you've got NBA fans who go out their way to blast Melo to the point such a ridiculous thread was made and some retards are actually in agreement with it.

Sooner than later, ISH will say Deng and/or Granger are better than Melo. Count on it.

LJJ
05-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Melo just played a month defending, rebounding and passing (look at the numbers) and regularly dropping 35 pts and up on efficient shooting.

People need to stop being ridiculous.

Knicks just got raped in the first round by a team that was playing at like 75% intensity. With Carmelo. With Amare. With DPOY Tyson Chandler.

/Knicks fans still running their mouths.

:biggums:

Rowe
05-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Based on what they've actually done, there isn't any kind of argument for Melo over Durant.

What has Durant actually done? This is the best team from 1-6 in the Western Conference. He's playing with 3 of the best young stars in basketball, each with the potential to become All Star players. Westbrook already is an All Star/All NBA player. Harden & Ibaka are next.

He hasn't done anything of significance so far.

We all expect him to eventually win a Championship, but not just because of him being such a great player, its because hes on one of the most talented teams in the league and that'll help him do it.

You put Durant with a "lesser" team around him and then you can start up the same arguments people have with Melo about being a "scorer" and not making his teammates better when he doesn't win a Championship.

What there is, is an argument for Pierce over all of them but Lebron. But since he's like 90, and Doc runs that piece of shit offense, people continue to overlook him.

But for this thread, right now, of course Melo is better than Danilo. Carmelo is the 4th best SF and Gallo is trying to get into the top 10.

Pierce is not better than Durant or Melo.

I don't care if you're using his "age" or "Playoff success" as a measure, its close to their level but no cigar.

Rowe
05-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Knicks just got raped in the first round by a team that was playing at like 75% intensity. With Carmelo. With Amare. With DPOY Tyson Chandler.

/Knicks fans still running their mouths.

The Heat were playing with 75% intensity because they play like that every night without a coach who can push the buttons of his players, who have their own egos. Eventually that will bite them in the ass at some point in the Playoffs.

As far as the Knicks are concerned. Amare was playing with a herniated disk and was playing with an injured hand, & Tyson Chandler had a hand injury as well as the flu. Lin was gone, Shumpert was gone, & Davis career ended. We had 1 guy in Melo going against 8, 9, 10 "healthy" players for Miami?

To say we got "raped" is an overstatement. We lost to a better team this season.

Whoah10115
05-11-2012, 05:53 PM
What has Durant actually done? This is the best team from 1-6 in the Western Conference. He's playing with 3 of the best young stars in basketball, each with the potential to become All Star players. Westbrook already is an All Star/All NBA player. Harden & Ibaka are next.

We all expect him to eventually win a Championship, but not just because of him being such a great player, its because hes on one of the most talented teams in the league and that'll help him do it.

You put Durant with a "lesser" team around him and then you can start up the same arguments people have with Melo about being a "scorer" and not making his teammates better when he doesn't win a Championship.

I don't care if you're using his "age" or "Playoff success" as a measure, its close to their level but no cigar.

Melo is absolutely not, in any way shape or form, as good as Paul Pierce. Pierce literally does everything better. And better scoring, Melo doesn't give either.

Durant has played at a much higher level than Melo ever has. Durant gives more effort on defense, even tho Melo should clearly be playing better D right now. Durant is at least as good a rebounder. He makes better decisions, scores more and scores much more efficiently. Melo takes the rest of his team out of the game.

Melo does nothing better than Pierce.

NuggetsFan
05-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Get use to it. Even when he was scoring like 28 pts on 49% people still had hate for him. Took him a long time to shed the awful defender tag too.

'09 was the one year he really got his dues. Even than people tried to say Chauncey was the best player on that team.

Whoah10115
05-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Melo is absolutely not, in any way shape or form, as good as Paul Pierce. Pierce literally does everything better. He's not a better scorer than Pierce is. Pierce has scored on the Melo level and has done it all with shittier teams.

Durant has played at a much higher level than Melo ever has. Durant gives more effort on defense, even tho Melo should clearly be playing better D right now. Durant is at least as good a rebounder. He makes better decisions, scores more and scores much more efficiently. Melo takes the rest of his team out of the game.

miggyme1
05-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Melo is absolutely not, in any way shape or form, as good as Paul Pierce. Pierce literally does everything better. He's not a better scorer than Pierce is. Pierce has scored on the Melo level and has done it all with shittier teams.

you my friend............................................ .....ARE A DUMBASS.

MELO IS WAY BETTER THAN PIERCE.U FORGOT PIERCE PLAYED WITH A PRIME ANTOINE WALKER WHO AT THE TIME WAS BETTER THAN PIERCE!U FORGOT?I KNOW U DID.SIT DOWN AND GO LOOK AT THE STATS U DAMN FOOL.MELO IS FASTER AND STRONGER.PIERCE AINT START WINNING SHIT TILL HE GOT RAY ALLEN AND KG SO SHUT UP KID.DISMISSED.YESSIR

Whoah10115
05-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Get use to it. Even when he was scoring like 28 pts on 49% people still had hate for him. Took him a long time to shed the awful defender tag too.

'09 was the one year he really got his dues. Even than people tried to say Chauncey was the best player on that team.

Chauncey had the much better season.

TheBluest
05-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I love how fans try and break down this trade and leave out other pieces as if they are of no value.....

The Knicks also gave up

Anthony Randolph, 2 1rst round picks(2014 and 2016(right to swap)), and 2 2nd round picks, Expiring Eddy Curry(which provided cap relief for Denver)

The Knicks also waived Corey Brewer(picked up by Dallas and then traded during the impending summer) who is now part of Denver's squad

TheBluest
05-11-2012, 06:06 PM

MELO IS WAY BETTER THAN PIERCE.U FORGOT PIERCE PLAYED WITH A PRIME ANTOINE WALKER WHO AT THE TIME WAS BETTER THAN PIERCE!U FORGOT?I KNOW U DID.SIT DOWN AND GO LOOK AT THE STATS U DAMN FOOL.MELO IS FASTER AND STRONGER.PIERCE AINT START WINNING SHIT TILL HE GOT RAY ALLEN AND KG SO SHUT UP KID.DISMISSED.YESSIR

LJJ
05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
The Heat were playing with 75% intensity because they play like that every night without a coach who can push the buttons of his players, who have their own egos. Eventually that will bite them in the ass at some point in the Playoffs.

As far as the Knicks are concerned. Amare was playing with a herniated disk and was playing with an injured hand, & Tyson Chandler had a hand injury as well as the flu. Lin was gone, Shumpert was gone, & Davis career ended. We had 1 guy in Melo going against 8, 9, 10 "healthy" players for Miami?

To say we got "raped" is an overstatement. We lost to a better team this season.

Amare still played 140 minutes in the series. Out one game, but got 20-10 right after that one. So he wasn't that much worse than usual.

Tyson Chandler had the flu? I'll buy that for game 1. He looked awful. But don't tell me a healthy, young athlete with nutritional experts fixing his diet and medical experts tending to him is affected by the flu the entire series. That was regular Tyson Chandler you got after that first game.

Shumpert and Lin? Pair of rooks. Carmelo, Amare and Tyson Chandler are supposed to be used to playing without Jeremy Lin. Many Knicks fans didn't even want to see much of Lin and his turnovers. And Shumpert is a nice defensive utility player, but wouldn't be able to perform against the Heat at all anyways.

And how weren't Knicks raped? Didn't Tyson Chandler supposedly make the Knicks one of the best defensive teams in the NBA? Isn't Carmelo Anthony a superstar, unstoppable on the offensive end? Wasn't Amare Stoudemire top five in the race to the MVP rankings the first half of last season? What happened to all that talk you guys had but a month ago? "Heat don't want to play the Knicks in the first round". "Knicks-Heat is the most exciting first round matchup". Yes they were real scared. Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh looked like they hit the bong before every game.

Whoah10115
05-11-2012, 06:08 PM

You, my friend............................................ ..................nah, you're just wrong.

Antoine Walker better than Paul Pierce :roll: :roll: :roll:

Since 2001 Pierce has been a great player. Since 2002 Pierce has been the most clutch player in the league. Antoine Walker better than Pierce in 2002? LOL. OK then. 2002 was the last time Antoine Walker wasn't almost as bad as he was good. And that was arguably Pierce's best season.

You go and you take Carmelo. I'll take the guy who will score just as many. I'll take the guy who will get more rebounds, even if he spends half his time playing SG. I'll take the better passer, the better playmaker, the guy makes others better, the guy who does more for his team. Not to mention the guy who plays better defense.

I've had this argument enough times. Carmelo is gifted with a mantle of being this great player and this place on a list. When did he become better? When it was time for us to agree, I guess. Is Anthony even more talented? He doesn't work as hard.

I won't have this argument again. The fact is that, as a basketball player, he doesn't offer as much as Paul Pierce.

Keep it yourself.

GOBB
05-11-2012, 07:13 PM

And yet no argument showing how Durant is without a doubt better than Melo.

Anyone else here want to try and take a stab at it? Gurantee you wont put one together.

The only answer here is arguable, meaning you could present an argument for either side. But at the end of the day you cant say one is actually better than the other. Bron is better than Melo. Easy. Durant? Arguable.

I get Durant is nice and all smiles and Melo has this rain cloud rep over his head. But where is Durant seperating himself from Melo? Rebounding? No. Defense? No. Passing/playmaking ability? No. Clutch? No. Both are awesome scorers. Durant is a better shooter overall where Melo is a much better low post scorer.

But yeah no argument for Melo over Durant. I dont get that. IO have no problem with you ranking Durant over Melo or saying you'd take him over Melo. But just admit you honestly cant construct a valid argument where in the end it shows how Durant is clearly better than Melo. And I leave this thread saying damn, you are right. You can do that for Lebron being better than Melo. Easily. Durant? Pfft, whatever. I have nothing against Durant. I think both are on the same level as players. Close eyes and pick a guy.

Whoah10115
05-11-2012, 08:02 PM

Anyone else here want to try and take a stab at it? Gurantee you wont put one together.

The only answer here is arguable, meaning you could present an argument for either side. But at the end of the day you cant say one is actually better than the other. Bron is better than Melo. Easy. Durant? Arguable.

I get Durant is nice and all smiles and Melo has this rain cloud rep over his head. But where is Durant seperating himself from Melo? Rebounding? No. Defense? No. Passing/playmaking ability? No. Clutch? No. Both are awesome scorers. Durant is a better shooter overall where Melo is a much better low post scorer.

But yeah no argument for Melo over Durant. I dont get that. IO have no problem with you ranking Durant over Melo or saying you'd take him over Melo. But just admit you honestly cant construct a valid argument where in the end it shows how Durant is clearly better than Melo. And I leave this thread saying damn, you are right. You can do that for Lebron being better than Melo. Easily. Durant? Pfft, whatever. I have nothing against Durant. I think both are on the same level as players. Close eyes and pick a guy.

Well, what argument could one have for Carmelo over Durant?

NewYorkNoPicks
05-11-2012, 08:09 PM

THIS

ILLsmak
05-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Nobody thinks were there. Were in a far better position than the Knicks IMO. Denver has tons of flexibility, draft picks, still have their ammensty. Knicks are pretty much set with what they have in the larger sense. Plus Denver's still pretty young. Look at Ty Lawson .. first year starting. Comes out in game 6 and goes ham in an elimination game. Who's to say next year he doesn't semi break out and average like 19\8 and becomes Tony Parker lite similar to what the Spurs team is doing right now? Who's to say Gallo finally stays healthy and continues what he started at the beggining of the year.

I think Denver is trying to build in the mold of this Spurs team. Nobody on the Spurs team is in the same caliber of a Carmelo or Dirk.

Anyways it was fun before but people need to stop comparing the two teams. NY wanted a star player, Denver's star player wanted out. Denver got a great package, NY got a star player. Teams aren't even in the same conference, just because Denver's been better since the trade doesn't mean NY still didn't want a star player. If the Knicks become better than Denver, Carmelo still wanted out and Denver had to make the trade.

Yeah but it's NY. In the end NY will be better than Denver.

-Smak

Blue&Orange
05-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Gallo definitely have better court vision and passing skills.

StateOfMind12
05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Durant is better than Melo at every single aspect of the game except ball-handling and passing and even the stats back that up.

Durant is a much better rebounder, again stats back this up.

Durant - 8.0 rpg (team leader in rebounding)
Melo - 6.3 rpg

Durant also plays in a much better front-court than Melo does. The only player that Melo is competing against for the rebounds is Tyson Chandler and the rest of the rebounders in his front-court suck while Durant has to compete with Ibaka, Collison, Perkins, and Mohammed.

Defense? Durant is much better defensively and it's not even close.

There is no argument for Melo being better than Durant and even airchibundo might even agree. I know he had Durant ranked above Melo in one of his top 5-10 players list.

NuggetsFan
05-11-2012, 08:40 PM

-Smak

Ehhh I don't think so. Denver has been better since the trade. Denvers the team with the youth, cap space, draft picks etc. Amare\Melo don't really mesh all that well.

If they make some moves or flip Amare for like Gasol or w.e than maybe but as it stands right now I think it'd be silly to suggest that. Not only is Denver having more success at the moment, their doing it with younger guy's. Lawson in his first season as a starter just exploded in a elimination game. Might not have a Carmelo .. but we have 1-2 guy's who can be a tier below him if they meet their potential and a few other guy's who can be very good players also.

Just my opinion. To me it doesn't seem like NY can do much. They actually seem like previous Nugget teams. Locked in with Melo + Amare\Chandler. Similar to Melo\Iverson .. Melo\K-Mart etc.

LJJ
05-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Well, if you aren't going to accept Durant's all around better statistical output, his better reputation among basketball experts, his greater team success, his greater individual success or the fact that he simply looks like a better player on the court, what arguments will you accept exactly?

And I leave this thread saying damn, you are right.

Yeah, no shit. That isn't going to happen.

NugzFan
05-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Why am i taking shit? The only things ive said are Gallo is not better than Melo (he's not, you are a retard if you think so) and McGhee is not a surefire franchise center (exactly that, not McGhee sucks or anythign like that).

So if you want to fight with Knick fans, go ahead, im not in. If you want to say Gallo is better than see above (and you're retarded).

if not you, the other knick fans...who cares who says it?

and i never said gallo is better than melo.

NugzFan
05-12-2012, 12:16 AM

-Smak

sure...in the end. enjoy 2056 or whenever the end is. we will enjoy now. :oldlol: