k0kakw0rld
05-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Kobe is an overrated 1v1 defender. Westbrook will eat him alive :cheers:

Noof
05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
3/22

Remix
05-14-2012, 09:40 PM
OP just making stupid threads bashing Lakers and Celtics.

k0kakw0rld
05-14-2012, 09:42 PM
OP just making stupid threads bashing Lakers and Celtics.
Truth hurts?

HorryIsMyMVP
05-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Westbrook guards himself.

tmacattack33
05-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Westbrook blew Kobe open one on one for points 3 times already. All pretty easy shots for Westbrook. Kobe just sags off him. I guess he has to because he doesn't want Westbrook to drive by him.

Kobe's sagging also allows Westbrook to sit there with no pressure and survey the field like a QB with no pass rush...leading to Westbrook having a good amount of assists already.

SlayerEnraged
05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Westbrook blew Kobe open one on one for points 3 times already. All pretty easy shots for Westbrook. Kobe just sags off him. I guess he has to because he doesn't want Westbrook to drive by him.

Kobe's sagging also allows Westbrook to sit there with no pressure and survey the field like a QB with no pass rush...leading to Westbrook having a good amount of assists already.

I think he's just seeing how Westbrooke is gonna play...It's only game 1 and Kobe's hardly trying right now.

Kingwillball
05-14-2012, 10:24 PM
LOL.. Barkley said He can Guard WestBrook..... :roll:

the_future02
05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Westbrook guards himself.

This. Russ gets anywhere he wants on the court he just has to take his time and focus and he will shit on Kobe

TylerOO
05-14-2012, 10:37 PM
It's evident that he cant. Westbrook shittin on him right now

DMAVS41
05-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Westbrook is one of the toughest players in the league to guard. He's either going to make or miss.....usually has nothing to do with defense.

So far he's making shots and playing great. Not bad defense by Kobe or anything. Just nothing he can do.

NBA basketball seems to be misunderstood a lot by people here. Rarely can you really guard other star players one on one. And even then, its about shading or pseudo doubling at the right times.

The Lakers have left Kobe on an island so far in this game and its not working. If they give him more help, it will change. Hell, as i'm typing this Westbrook just drove by Kobe and was met by Gasol for a change and it forced a miss.

All about team defense against stars.

clayton
05-14-2012, 10:51 PM
17 points already. Yup. He can clearly guard him. :facepalm

BMOGEFan
05-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure if this is serious. Trolling or just some bs.

In the NBA, everyone can blow by their defender on a one on one basis. Its all about defensive schemes and screen rotations. Thats how you stop players in the NBA.

Even MJ cannot one on one westbrook, if MJ is in his prime.

DMAVS41
05-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure if this is serious. Trolling or just some bs.

In the NBA, everyone can blow by their defender on a one on one basis. Its all about defensive schemes and screen rotations. Thats how you stop players in the NBA.

Even MJ cannot one on one westbrook, if MJ is in his prime.

I agree mostly.

Guys like MJ and Payton had an uncanny ability to guard players one on one. A lot of coaches said the reason they thought MJ was such a great defender was because he fought over screens better than any guard in nba history. He was so strong and quick that he could recover off screens.

But those are the elite of the elite and there isn't anyone in the NBA currently close to the level of man defense that a guy like MJ or Payton played.

DuMa
05-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Kobe cant stay with Russ. not even quick enough to get a hand up :facepalm

http://i.imgur.com/lFgi9.jpg

I<3NBA
05-15-2012, 01:31 AM
you know why some ppl think Kobe is a good defender? because Kobe is the only one who can guard himself.

LakersReign
05-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Kobe is an overrated 1v1 defender. Westbrook will eat him alive :cheers:

if there really is a OKC/Heat Finals, can't wait to see how you flip flop and then say how Lebron is going to "lock down" Westbrook like he supposedly did to Rose last year:applause:

hawksdogsbraves
05-15-2012, 02:17 AM
I agree mostly.

Guys like MJ and Payton had an uncanny ability to guard players one on one. A lot of coaches said the reason they thought MJ was such a great defender was because he fought over screens better than any guard in nba history. He was so strong and quick that he could recover off screens.

But those are the elite of the elite and there isn't anyone in the NBA currently close to the level of man defense that a guy like MJ or Payton played.

LeBron is, did you not watch him hassle Carmelo? Or Rose last playoffs?

It's tougher for him to guard 6'3 point guards because he's so big but he can certainly guard them a la MJ and Pippen. Tony Allen is another guy who can play that one on one defense.

These stars are still going to get their points but a strong one on one defender can make it much much harder. Kobe's problem is that he doesn't have the lateral quickness anymore to stay in front of somebody like Westbrook.

Ketchup
05-15-2012, 02:19 AM

Nice shoes that Russ is wearing. Anyone know which ones they are?

anthonyRandolph
05-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Belleneli held Kobe to 0-16 at one point if we're basing Kobe stopping Westbrook off of one game..

GreenChampion
05-15-2012, 05:02 AM
Nice shoes that Russ is wearing. Anyone know which ones they are?

Hyperfuse 2011 PE (Player Edition).

DMAVS41
05-15-2012, 05:26 AM
LeBron is, did you not watch him hassle Carmelo? Or Rose last playoffs?

It's tougher for him to guard 6'3 point guards because he's so big but he can certainly guard them a la MJ and Pippen. Tony Allen is another guy who can play that one on one defense.

These stars are still going to get their points but a strong one on one defender can make it much much harder. Kobe's problem is that he doesn't have the lateral quickness anymore to stay in front of somebody like Westbrook.

No way is Lebron on the level of prime MJ or Payton in terms of one on one defense. No way.

CardiacKemba
05-15-2012, 08:09 AM

No defender can keep up with a player of Westbrook's athleticism 1 on 1. No one.

P.s. Is Russ wearing full length compression pants then rolled them up?

rodman91
05-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Lakers had problems guarding fast guard even when Kobe was in prime. No way they can guard Westbrook unless Westbrook lose his temper and do dumb shits to prove himself.

Da_Realist
05-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Games like this never come up when people compare Kobe to MJ. MJ never had games like this. Kobe totally mailed it in last night. MJ's been blown out before and MJ has shot poorly before, but he didn't have games where his impact was absolutely zero. And Kobe's done this numerous times.

And people wonder why Bynum mails it in. And why Gasol mails it in. And the rest of the team. Cause teams follow their leader. The only difference being that when Bynum mails it in, it's media fodder for 3 days, yet Kobe never gets called out on it. Mostly because when Bynum mails it in, he sulks on the bench and makes it obvious while Kobe looks engaged but plays dispassionately. Still, mailing it in is mailing it in.

As the leader of the team, you can't afford to go on the road against what everyone considers a better team and lay an egg like that. 3 rebounds and 2 assists? With absolutely NO defense, no hustle and no leadership out there. Kobe would get the ball stolen from him and watch the guy run down the court and lay it in. Where was the hustle? Just stood where he was and watched the other team score. He mailed it in. And never gets called on it. Must be tough being in Kobe's world where he gets all the credit and none of the blame.

It took until halftime for Kobe to declare to the coach that he "wanted Westbrook". Yeah, after the team spotted OKC 15 points. :facepalm Make the effort and take him from the beginning. Why wait to play hero? He then played passionate defense for about 2 possessions and then started coasting.

And we keep hearing over and over about this dude's "will to win".

OhNoTimNoSho
05-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Games like this never come up when people compare Kobe to MJ. MJ never had games like this. Kobe totally mailed it in last night. MJ's been blown out before and MJ has shot poorly before, but he didn't have games where his impact was absolutely zero. And Kobe's done this numerous times.

And people wonder why Bynum mails it in. And why Gasol mails it in. And the rest of the team. Cause teams follow their leader. The only difference being that when Bynum mails it in, it's media fodder for 3 days, yet Kobe never gets called out on it. Mostly because when Bynum mails it in, he sulks on the bench and makes it obvious while Kobe looks engaged but plays dispassionately. Still, mailing it in is mailing it in.

As the leader of the team, you can't afford to go on the road against what everyone considers a better team and lay an egg like that. 3 rebounds and 2 assists? With absolutely NO defense, no hustle and no leadership out there. Kobe would get the ball stolen from him and watch the guy run down the court and lay it in. Where was the hustle? Just stood where he was and watched the other team score. He mailed it in. And never gets called on it. Must be tough being in Kobe's world where he gets all the credit and none of the blame.

It took until halftime for Kobe to declare to the coach that he "wanted Westbrook". Yeah, after the team spotted OKC 15 points. :facepalm Make the effort and take him from the beginning. Why wait to play hero? He then played passionate defense for about 2 possessions and then started coasting.

He was tired

OldSchoolBBall
05-15-2012, 10:46 AM

+1

Doranku
05-15-2012, 10:50 AM

MJ also retired twice and never even played a 16th season in the NBA.

Da_Realist
05-15-2012, 11:03 AM
MJ also retired twice and never even played a 16th season in the NBA.

You don't need to retire when you can take vacations during important games while the media whips your teammates for not saving your ass.

LakersReign
05-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Same sh*t different day, INCAPABLE of saying anything new. Go right ahead and tell is about Lebron's supposedly better than MJ-like "lock down" defensive skills while you're at it:sleeping

Artillery
05-15-2012, 11:43 AM
You don't need to retire when you can take vacations during important games while the media whips your teammates for not saving your ass.

When Kobe quits on his team, he does it in spectacularly embarrassing fashion:

Game 4 vs. Dallas in 2011
Game 6 vs. Boston in 2008
Game 7 vs. Suns in 2006
Game 5 vs. Pistons in 2004
Game 6 vs. Spurs in 2003

Soon we'll add "Games 1-4 vs. OKC in 2012" to that list of blowout losses.

DLeagueWannabe
05-15-2012, 12:01 PM

We get it, he's not better or as good as Jordan.

Now tell us how he can defend Westbrook better, because as a Laker fan, that's all I am concerned about.

Some of you 23 fans are pathetic. You guys act like you ARE Jordan. As if, you're defending your own reputation. Michael has no care for you, I can assure you of that. I'm 25 years old, I know how great he WAS, but that doesn't matter right now. The 2012 playoffs are what matters.

Da_Realist
05-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Now tell us how he can defend Westbrook better, because as a Laker fan, that's all I am concerned about.

Some of you 23 fans are pathetic. You guys act like you ARE Jordan. As if, you're defending your own reputation. Michael has no care for you, I can assure you of that. I'm 25 years old, I know how great he WAS, but that doesn't matter right now. The 2012 playoffs are what matters.

Some of you 24 fans are pathetic. You guys act like you ARE Kobe. Trashing his teammates for lack of effort, praising Kobe for his will to win and then look the other way when he totally quits on his team. I'm 35 years old and I know how coddled he IS, but that obviously doesn't matter to you. Blaming his teammates and coaches for everything is what matters.

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-15-2012, 12:20 PM

burned :applause:

caliman
05-15-2012, 12:21 PM

I was thinking about this very thing last night after the game. For someone who we've been told has an "incredible will to win", his teams certainly have a pretty good sample size of taking ass kickings in the playoffs, and especially in elimination games. Maybe his "leadership" is not as great was we all thought, because I can't imagine that happening to some of the other greats.

MJ's guys wouldn't have quit because they knew he would have kicked their ass in the locker room. Magic's guys wouldn't have quit because they would have still seen him playing hard and leading by example.

DLeagueWannabe
05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Some of you 24 fans are pathetic. You guys act like you ARE Kobe. Trashing his teammates for lack of effort, praising Kobe for his will to win and then look the other way when he totally quits on his team. I'm 35 years old and I know how coddled he IS, but that obviously doesn't matter to you. Blaming his teammates and coaches for everything is what matters.

Everything you're saying is the truth, but I am not one of those fans. I am a Los Angeles Laker fan. I have lived in the LA area my entire life.

I hate no player, Jordan included. I love him actually, but...

This is not about Jordan, he is gone. Talk to me about today's basketball. My favorite team is in the middle of a series and you want to tell me about MJ's will to win? Wtf does that have to do with Westbrook and Bryant?

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-15-2012, 12:24 PM
AS a long time Lakers fan, I can criticize whoever the fck I want on this Lakers squad. What the fck is it to you anyways?? Also rest assured, nobody gives a sh!t how old you are. 35 tho? Sick brag :cheers:

Da_Realist
05-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Everything you're saying is the truth, but I am not one of those fans. I am a Los Angeles Laker fan. I have lived in the LA area my entire life.

This is not about Jordan, he is gone. Talk to me about today's basketball. My favorite team is in the middle of a series and you want to tell me about MJ's will to win? Wtf does that have to do with Westbrook and Bryant?

No, i'm telling you about Kobe's lack of will. And how NO ONE is talking about it. Where is the media scrutiny that Bynum had just last week? Or that Gasol deals with every week? Kobe gets a pass all the time for his passive-agressive quitting. Where are the Lakers fans that are just as upset about Kobe laying an egg last night as they were about Bynum laying one last week?

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-15-2012, 12:28 PM

These are the same windbags who constantly dismiss the Kobe/MJ comparisons, yet they are the ones comparing the 2 the most. It's over Da_Realist, your Bulls aren't gonna see another championship for as long as you live. Keep that tight grip on MJ's balls, that is all you'll ever have. All you'll ever have In This World Is MJ's Balls. Rest easy pops!

DLeagueWannabe
05-15-2012, 12:33 PM
No, i'm telling you about Kobe's lack of will. And how NO ONE is talking about it. Where is the media scrutiny that Bynum had just last week? Or that Gasol deals with every week? Kobe gets a pass all the time for his passive-agressive quitting. Where are the Lakers fans that are just as upset about Kobe laying an egg last night as they were about Bynum laying one last week?

Bryant should get as much blame as anyone else, even moreso. I don't s*ck his d*ck, but he is who he is. He's had great success in the basketball world and has earned the right to handle things his way. His skills have diminshed and it's tougher for him to play well for extended periods of time, but I think most people still view his "will to win" as stronger than Bynum's and Gasol's.

Maybe you don't, and that's fine. It really doesn't matter what any of us say about someone's "will to win", it's subjective in the end.

What we have here is a good old ass whoopin. Lakers are getting out classed. I'm very happy for OKC too, they deserve it. They've paid their dues, and I wish them well in the next rounds. Hope they win it all.

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Bryant should get as much blame as anyone else, even moreso. I don't s*ck his d*ck, but he is who he is. He's had great success in the basketball world and has earned the right to handle things his way. His skills have diminshed and it's tougher for him to play well for extended periods of time, but I think most people still view his "will to win" as stronger than Bynum's and Gasol's.

Maybe you don't, and that's fine. It really doesn't matter what any of us say about someone's "will to win", it's subjective in the end.

What we have here is a good old ass whoopin. Lakers are getting out classed. I'm very happy for OKC too, they deserve it. They've paid their dues, and I wish them well in the next rounds. Hope they win it all.
You're a Lakers fan?

LakersReign
05-15-2012, 12:37 PM

AND....still no answer from "da realist." Big surprise:sleeping

DLeagueWannabe
05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
You're a Lakers fan?

Since the day I was born.

I'm a realist though. I always put it this way: If I had a million dollars, would I be confident betting it all on a Laker series victory?

With the 2012 Laker team, no way.

2009 yes, 2010 yes, (until the Finals), and after the loss against the Mavs last year, the Lakers came back constructed the same. That's not how a team wins. Not in the league today, other teams are getting better.

The Lakers will retool, they always do. I'm just happy our team was the best for an extended period of time, not many fan bases can say that.

Da_Realist
05-15-2012, 12:43 PM
AND....still no answer from "da realist." Big surprise:sleeping

You dumb dumb. He can defend Westbrook better by actually trying. Dumb ass. You seem slow...or some secluded 12 year old so I try to avoid going back and forth with you, but the whole point of every post I've made was that Bryant wasn't TRYING. Learn to read, dufus.

LakersReign
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
You dumb dumb. He can defend Westbrook better by actually trying. Dumb ass. You seem slow...or some secluded 12 year old so I try to avoid going back and forth with you, but the whole point of every post I've made was that Bryant wasn't TRYING. Learn to read, dufus.

"Great in depth analysis" of the Lakers/Thunder series above from a supposed 35 year old:facepalm

Nice try:applause:

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
You seem to live a sick life for a 35 year old. :cheers:

OldSchoolBBall
05-15-2012, 04:23 PM
With their 29 point loss last night, the great Kobe Bryant has now lost playoff games by 28+ points 9 times since 2000.

For comparison's sake, Jordan never lost a playoff game by more than 26 points, and only lost by 20+ two times in his playoff career. Here are his biggest postseason losses (these are the ONLY losses by 15+ points, mind you):

26, 22, 19, 19, 19, 18, 17 points

And this includes the mid-late 80's, when MJ was facing ELITE, LEGENDARY teams in the playoffs basically all alone - and his loss margins against Boston and Detroit were generally in the 4-10 point range, save for two losses by 18/19 points (listed above) to Boston - possibly the best team of ALL TIME - in 1986.

And here are Kobe's biggest losses and his total number of losses by 15+ points since 2000:

39, 36, 33, 31, 29, 29, 28, 28, 28, 21, 20, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 18, 17, 17, 15, 15

Notice anything different? :oldlol:

LakersReign
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
the great Kobe Bryant

That's exactly what's going to be said whenever he calls it a wrap. And that's all that really matters, cuz that's really all people who know their sh*t when it comes to basketball truly care about. Simple as that. So hate on hater:sleeping

chazzy
05-15-2012, 04:30 PM
With their 29 point loss last night, the great Kobe Bryant has now lost playoff games by 28+ points 9 times since 2000.

For comparison's sake, Jordan never lost a playoff game by more than 26 points, and only lost by 20+ two times in his playoff career. Here are his biggest postseason losses (these are the ONLY losses by 15+ points, mind you):

26, 22, 19, 19, 19, 18, 17 points

And this includes the mid-late 80's, when MJ was facing ELITE, LEGENDARY teams in the playoffs basically all alone - and his loss margins against Boston and Detroit were generally in the 4-10 point range, save for two losses by 18/19 points (listed above) to Boston in 1986.

And here are Kobe's biggest losses and his total number of losses by 15+ points since 2000:

39, 36, 33, 31, 29, 29, 28, 28, 28, 21, 20, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 18, 17, 17, 15, 15

Notice anything different? :oldlol:
Fascinating stuff, I might move MJ a couple spots up closer to Kobe now on my all time list

Replay32
05-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Fascinating stuff, I might move MJ a couple spots up closer to Kobe now on my all time list

:lol

OldSchoolBBall
05-15-2012, 04:37 PM
That's exactly what's going to be said whenever he calls it a wrap. And that's all that really matters, cuz that's really all people who know their sh*t when it comes to basketball truly care about. Simple as that. So hate on hater:sleeping

His is great, and is a legend, and will be remembered as such. However, people shouldn't try to put him in the same class as MJ. Jordan stayed competitive with some of the greatest teams of ALL TIME while SEVERELY overmatched in terms of talent, and only had two career playoff losses by 20+ points, whereas Kobe had 11 such losses.

The reason for this difference is because, as Da Realist noted, Jordan was actually dominant and had an indomitable will to win and great leadership, which helped him keep games close and motivated his team to play hard even in losses. Kobe isn't really on that plane, and the results show this to be true.

LakersReign
05-15-2012, 04:50 PM
His is great, and is a legend, and will be remembered as such. However, people shouldn't try to put him in the same class as MJ. Jordan stayed competitive with some of the greatest teams of ALL TIME while SEVERELY overmatched in terms of talent, and only had two career playoff losses by 20+ points, whereas Kobe had 11 such losses.

The reason for this difference is because, as Da Realist noted, Jordan was actually dominant and had an indomitable will to win and great leadership, which helped him keep games close and motivated his team to play hard even in losses. Kobe isn't really on that plane, and the results show this to be true.

Please.:rolleyes:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. REAL NBA fans recognize skills REGARDLESS of team affiliation. The only people who want to nitpick at Kobe are haters who have nothing better to do. Y'all are the same ones who scream like banshees the minute Kobe and Jordan are mentioned in the same sentence. But have nothing to say when Lebron is compared to Jordan though. Why is that? If Kobe isn't on Jordan's level, then how the **** is Lebron? Give me a ******* break.:sleeping

Try again:no: