PDA

View Full Version : Let's face it, the world is not ready to see one of Wilt's 40 point games...

CavaliersFTW
05-18-2012, 01:27 AM
...until the 2012 playoffs are over

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/138/4/0/wilt_block_by_dantheman9758-d50ac54.gif

PHILA
05-18-2012, 01:35 AM
You found the full game footage? I will be waiting. :applause:

305Baller
05-18-2012, 01:36 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9QjARWd5a84/T3OXHJJbe1I/AAAAAAAAA34/OVtLNvwpMvI/s1600/nod-of-approval.gif

outbreak
05-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Man if you have a full game post it now!

CavaliersFTW
05-18-2012, 01:44 AM
You found the full game footage? I will be waiting. :applause:

http://www.sectalk.com/board/public/imported_images/9kracing.com/YesJackNicholson.gif

40p, 14rb, 2a, 12blk on .824fg% and .706ft%

26 points 10 blocks and 10 rebounds in a full throttle 2nd half - 11 points in the final stretch :D its a good one

1987_Lakers
05-18-2012, 01:45 AM
Won't be impressed seeing a 7 footer dunk on a bunch a 6 foot 7 players.

/sarcasm

Mr Know It All
05-18-2012, 01:48 AM
Will be nice to see the true GOAT do his thing if you are telling the truth. Would be such a treat.:rockon:

LAClipsFan33
05-18-2012, 01:50 AM
:party:

LAClipsFan33
05-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Man when you do post it I'm requesting that it get's stickied or archived

dunksby
05-18-2012, 01:53 AM
He looks like a super athletic Yao Ming out there :lol

jlauber
05-18-2012, 02:02 AM
No matter what, the "anti-Chamberlain" gang will find fault with it. They will rip the short, nerdy, clumsy, weak, inept opposing players. And they will scoff at the pace.

Bill Simmons, who is a nororious liar, claims to have watched one of Wilt's 73 point NBA games. Of course, instead of praising the accomplishment, he proceeded to slam the inferior competition. BTW, not sure which one of his two 73 point games that it might have been, either. He had a 73 point game, on 29-48 shooting from the floor, and 15-25 from the line, along with 36 rebounds in a game against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy (who would measure at 7-0 in today's NBA BTW.)

In any case, it would certainly be a miracle to see. At least we won't have to deal with some moron editing a couple of Wilt's worst games, into a two minute video, and only showing his awkward moves and shots. Or showing Chamberlain throwing up a wild, off balance shot, in an agenda-driven slap...and leaving out the fact that it came as time expired on the shot clock.

I have long maintained that if we had footage of just ONE of Wilt's 271 40+ NBA games, that it would go a long way towards destroying the "Chamberlain-bashers" on this forum. Even now, quite a few have headed for cover in the last few months with CavsFan's videos of Wilt's "insane vertical", and solid highlights of a young Wilt, from High School, College, through the first half of his NBA career, in which he is taking and making MANY 10-15+ ft. shots (and even displaying decent form on his free throws. And we also have had a video from none other than Tex Winter claiming that because of Wilt's "freakish activity", the NCAA (and the NBA) banned the dunking of FT's.

Looking forward to it...

:bowdown:

jlauber
05-18-2012, 02:04 AM
http://www.sectalk.com/board/public/imported_images/9kracing.com/YesJackNicholson.gif

26 points 10 blocks and 10 rebounds in a full throttle 2nd half - 11 points in the final stretch :D its a good one

Those numbers alone would qualify for one of the greatest games of all-time.

BTW... .706 from the line? No one will believe it.

And the "anti-Wiltonites" will say "see, he could only get 14 rebounds in that game. Where are his supposed 30+ rebound games?"

ProfessorMurder
05-18-2012, 02:22 AM
Want.

CavaliersFTW
05-18-2012, 02:28 AM
No matter what, the "anti-Chamberlain" gang will find fault with it. They will rip the short, nerdy, clumsy, weak, inept opposing players. And they will scoff at the pace.

Bill Simmons, who is a nororious liar, claims to have watched one of Wilt's 73 point NBA games. Of course, instead of praising the accomplishment, he proceeded to slam the inferior competition. BTW, not sure which one of his two 73 point games that it might have been, either. He had a 73 point game, on 29-48 shooting from the floor, and 15-25 from the line, along with 36 rebounds in a game against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy (who would measure at 7-0 in today's NBA BTW.)

In any case, it would certainly be a miracle to see. At least we won't have to deal with some moron editing a couple of Wilt's worst games, into a two minute video, and only showing his awkward moves and shots. Or showing Chamberlain throwing up a wild, off balance shot, in an agenda-driven slap...and leaving out the fact that it came as time expired on the shot clock.

I have long maintained that if we had footage of just ONE of Wilt's 271 40+ NBA games, that it would go a long way towards destroying the "Chamberlain-bashers" on this forum. Even now, quite a few have headed for cover in the last few months with CavsFan's videos of Wilt's "insane vertical", and solid highlights of a young Wilt, from High School, College, through the first half of his NBA career, in which he is taking and making MANY 10-15+ ft. shots (and even displaying decent form on his free throws. And we also have had a video from none other than Tex Winter claiming that because of Wilt's "freakish activity", the NCAA (and the NBA) banned the dunking of FT's.

Looking forward to it...

Well, this one's not an NBA game - it's NCAA. It's a good performance sure but it's not like Wilt clears the Red Sea and descends from the Heavens to smite his haters :lol it's def nice to see him score for a change though as opposed to the defensive role on the Lakers he looks like a totally different player

jstern
05-18-2012, 02:35 AM
Nice block. But yeah, that's too long of a wait and people could die by that time.

LAClipsFan33
05-18-2012, 02:40 AM
But yeah, that's too long of a wait and people could die by that time.

This. We need the vid !!!

:rockon:

LeFraud James
05-18-2012, 02:50 AM
Jlauber getting his lube and tissues ready.

I'm looking forward to seeing this game though.

CavaliersFTW
05-18-2012, 02:52 AM
This. We need the vid !!!

:rockon:
Okay well I just got the game this morning. I need some time to trim it down as I did with my Bulls/Lakers G6 playoff game upload where it shows his possessions (and overall impact even if off the ball). NCAA ball from that time is especially stale because of the stall-ball tactics against Wilt, this team kept trying to freeze the ball and hack him to prevent the massacre. Plus, there's no sound so I gotta do it up with a fitting track. Nobody will die before the upload so erybody chill! it might take a day or two b4 its ready tho :lol

magic chiongson
05-18-2012, 02:58 AM
you gonna post it in this thread? cause i'll bookmark this :)

bdreason
05-18-2012, 03:02 AM
Terrible box out.

CavaliersFTW
05-18-2012, 03:05 AM
you gonna post it in this thread? cause i'll bookmark this :)
Sure I can post it here

LAClipsFan33
05-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Okay well I just got the game this morning. I need some time to trim it down as I did with my Bulls/Lakers G6 playoff game upload where it shows his possessions (and overall impact even if off the ball). NCAA ball from that time is especially stale because of the stall-ball tactics against Wilt, this team kept trying to freeze the ball and hack him to prevent the massacre. Plus, there's no sound so I gotta do it up with a fitting track. Nobody will die before the upload so erybody chill! it might take a day or two b4 its ready tho :lol

I'm just talking sh*t. Take your time man. You don't have to do this, but your always hooking us up. Much appreciated...

CavaliersFTW
05-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Terrible box out.
:lebroncry:

senelcoolidge
05-18-2012, 05:06 AM
We need some of his NBA games. Early Wilt and Philly Wilt..some Laker's Wilt would be nice too.

dunksby
05-18-2012, 05:12 AM
So when is the video comin bitch?

magic chiongson
05-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Sure I can post it here

:cheers:

Punpun
05-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Holy dick, Jlauber is at it again. :oldlol:

LosBulls
05-18-2012, 07:07 AM

Looking forward to it...

So we either believe Bill Simmons...or you?

webberz0044
05-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Can you post it after the WCF? Cause i have a feeling the finals won't even be worth watching.

Toizumi
05-18-2012, 07:19 AM

There's a huge gap in between, but both are far from objective.

Simmons openly dislikes (even hates) Wilt (yet still has him ranked 5/6 all time in his book I believe). He makes some good arguments for ranking him that low and his critique makes sense in some ways, but he overdoes it a bit.

On the other hand there's J Lauber, who has Wilt as the GOAT and uses stats to prove that Wilt is the best ever/most skilled basketball player/human being/boxer/athlete ever in the universe.

It's somewhere in between in my opinion. Wilt is one of the best ever, but definitely had his flaws (yes JLauber he did) which were openly documented back then and also are now. He was great in his era and that's how he should be remembered, any hypotheses in which we bring Wilt to the present is ridiculous. You can argue he faced weaker competition and that his offensive skills would be considered limited nowadays, but he faced THE BEST competition there was back then and he had the best/most effective offensive skillset in those days.

Now CAVALIERSWTF post that bloody game!! :D

Psileas
05-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Well, this one's not an NBA game - it's NCAA. It's a good performance sure but it's not like Wilt clears the Red Sea and descends from the Heavens to smite his haters :lol it's def nice to see him score for a change though as opposed to the defensive role on the Lakers he looks like a totally different player

I expected this. I saw the highlights on YT, he was "merely" good in the first half and impressive in the 2nd. They froze the game like crazy, and he still got that 40-point TD. I also counted 10 blocks in the second half alone, including the one in the GIF.

CavaliersFTW
05-18-2012, 12:33 PM
I expected this. I saw the highlights on YT, he was "merely" good in the first half and impressive in the 2nd. They froze the game like crazy, and he still got that 40-point TD. I also counted 10 blocks in the second half alone, including the one in the GIF.

He might have had 15 rebounds, I didn't know a rebound can be credited to Wilt if he deliberately tipped/passed the rebound to a nearby teammate. I always thought it would be the teammate who got credit since the teammate is the one who first actually secured it once it was tipped to him, but since Wilt was in control of the loose rebound via his ability to aim/direct it to a teammate I guess he actually can get the credit. So his complete stat line looks like this:

in 40 minutes:

40 points
(14fgm on 17fga .824fg%)
(12ftm on 17fta .706%),

2 assists

15 total rebounds (8drb 7orb)

12 blocks and 0 steals

3 turnovers and 3 personal fouls

NBA's fairly crude efficiency rating would net him +58 for the game, Lebron's best "efficiency" game was +50 this season and I think his career best is +55... so this game is pretty legit, best statistical Wilt game on film so far.

Owl
05-18-2012, 02:12 PM
I am excited for this.
Slightly concerned about a college game giving Wilt-haters fodder for "look at the short white guys" based nonsense (not that competition should be ignored for early 60s or perhaps especially college games, but then as mentioned the stall-ball tactics would have to be considered too, and anti-Wilt trollers will ignore this).

Deuce Bigalow
05-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Dude just stop. You're just exposing Wilt. Look at his opponents :oldlol:

DuMa
05-18-2012, 02:36 PM
if the opposing team doesnt have a mountain lion, no care

kentatm
05-18-2012, 03:26 PM

if Wilt had ever played for the Celtics, Simmons would gargle his balls like no other.

CavaliersFTW
05-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Dude just stop. You're just exposing Wilt. Look at his opponents :oldlol:
His opponents are outclassed this game I totally agree :lol

BUT! does every moderately decent game a future superstar plays in their youth become the measure of their career against the eventual professional competition? This game is certainly not the greatest game Wilt ever played on available film, his lower scoring, defensive minded playoff games as a Laker IMO are more impressive considering that competition and his defensive impact both on and off the ball but come on... seeing him with a greenlight to score 40 is still way f*cking cool.

This is (albeit the very young non-pro) version of Wilt that to this point has only existed on paper. The Wilt who was actually assigned to sink all the buckets! 40 points with a paltry 15 rebounds aint even a big game for offensive-role Wilt, he took way heavier shits than this game on HOF'ers 6 years later so how the hell can this game be a measuring stick against him, it's just going to be a fun watch to finally see him pour in some points and watch what his touches look like. He actually demands the ball for a change, and gives the least amount of f*ck about setting screens and passing. Not unlike ur boi Kobe, rite? :lol

Pointguard
05-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Man you are like some deity with this stuff. While I think I saw clips of it. I never saw the full second half.

Anything with Wilt scoring is a great addition to the eye recorders. His natural moves and scoring skill set will be food for us ravaged to see anything.

bwink23
05-18-2012, 06:22 PM
...until the 2012 playoffs are over

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/138/4/0/wilt_block_by_dantheman9758-d50ac54.gif

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

inclinerator
05-18-2012, 06:58 PM
ncaa pshhh

Psileas
05-18-2012, 07:16 PM
He might have had 15 rebounds, I didn't know a rebound can be credited to Wilt if he deliberately tipped/passed the rebound to a nearby teammate. I always thought it would be the teammate who got credit since the teammate is the one who first actually secured it once it was tipped to him, but since Wilt was in control of the loose rebound via his ability to aim/direct it to a teammate I guess he actually can get the credit. So his complete stat line looks like this:

in 40 minutes:

40 points
(14fgm on 17fga .824fg%)
(12ftm on 17fta .706%),

2 assists

12 blocks and 0 steals

NBA's fairly crude efficiency rating would net him +58 for the game, Lebron's best "efficiency" game was +50 this season and I think his career best is +55... so this game is pretty legit, best statistical Wilt game on film so far.

Yes, if you tip the ball to a teammate, the rebound is credited to you. So happens if you block the ball and secure it at the same time, like Wilt did in that GIF.
Also, Wilt probably did get one steal somewhere in the beginning of the 2nd half (bad pass missed the opposing center, then Wilt deflected it to a teammate).

Deuce Bigalow
05-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Over/Under that that was a 6'7" Center?

OmniStrife
05-18-2012, 11:09 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/11572/2005849-fe2dc_ORIG-my_body_is_ready_super.jpg

jlauber
05-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Over/Under that that was a 6'7" Center?

Over/Under that Wilt is SWARMED by the opposing team in that game?

Of course, as I pointed out earlier in this topic, Chamberlain put up 271 40+ point games in his career. And how about this...in his 61-62 and 62-63 seasons, covering 20 STRAIGHT H2H games, Wilt AVERAGED 48.2 ppg against the 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy (who would measure at 7-0 in TODAY's NBA.) Incidently, he had FOUR 60+ point games against Bellamy, including a 73-36 game.

Or that Chamberlain had 24 40+ point games against the 6-10 WORLD CLASS HIGH-JUMPER, Bill Russell, including FIVE of 50+ (and a HIGH of 62 on 27-45 shooting.) He also had two STRAIGHT entire H2H SEASONS against Russell, covering 18 games, in which he AVERAGED 39 ppg against him.

Or that a Chamberlain in his 10th season, in a season in which he hardly shot the ball, hung TWO 60+ games within a short span, and against 6-10 Connie Dierking and 6-10 Jim Fox. BTW, Kareem would face both the guys the next season, and never approached those numbers in ANY game against them (in fact, Kareem's career HIGH was "only" 55 points.)

Or that Wilt had an entire SEASON, covering nine H2H games, against 6-9 HOFer Willis Reed, in which he AVERAGED 40.1 ppg (including two games in which he outscored Reed by 52-23 and 58-28 margins.)

Or that a PRIME Chamberlain, in a span of 11 STRAIGHT H2H games, AVERAGED 30 ppg against 6-11 HOFer Nate Thurmond, which included games of 30, 33, 34, 34, 38, and 45 points. Which is also interesting, since Kareem would battle Nate in 43 starting H2H games, and his HIGH game was only 34 points. In fact, he only had SEVEN games of 30+ against Thurmond (and SEVEN of less than 20) in those 43 H2H's.

And yet a 38-39 year old Kareem could hang THREE games of 40+ point on 6-10 HOFer Hakeem in a span of 10 STRAIGHT games (and on a staggering .633 shooting.) Or that in the same week that Kareem poured in a 46 point game against Hakeem (on 21-30 shooting, and in only 37 minutes), he also outscored the 7-0 Ewing by a 40-9 margin (while outshooting Patrick 15-22 to 3-17.)

Given that fact, what would a PRIME Chamberlain have leveled against those inept HOF centers that a 39 year old Kareem annihilated?

IGotACoolStory
05-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Hrm, did Wilt win an NCCA Championship?

CavaliersFTW
05-19-2012, 01:00 AM
nope, ousted by NCU, both those teams were legendary that season though. NCU ranked #1 and was undefeated the entire season and post-season (obviously). The Jayhawks were steamrolling everyone on the shoulders of the best basketball player in the world, and lost only 2 games prior to the tournament. Wilt's team lost by one point in a triple over time against NCU. From his own words that was the worst loss of his entire basketball career, he felt he let everyone down, and he never got over it. I've watched that game before and it is down to the freaking wire on that last play. Teammate passes too Wilt who was under the basket for a clear shot with a low pass instead of a high lob and ball get's stolen away

Vienceslav
05-19-2012, 01:14 AM
How is there a Wilt College footage and no 60+ game footage or am i wrong about that?

jlauber
05-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Hmmm...CavsFan already covered the OT loss in the championship game in Wilt's soph season. BTW, Chamberlain was the tournament MVP. How much talent did Wilt have at Kansas? In his junior season, he missed three games with an infection...and the Jayhawks went 0-3. They would finish 18-5, but at the time, teams had to win their conference to get to the NCAAs.

Wilt, frustrated by the stalling and the mauling that he took in college, skipped his senior season, and instead played with the Globetrotters.

And yes, Chamberlain claimed that that championship loss, in a game in which the entire Carolina team collapsed on him, was the worst of his career. He felt that he let Kansas down, too. When the Jayhawks invited him back to retire his jersey in 1998, he was fearful that he would be booed out of the building.

In fact, the opposite occurred. He received a long standing ovation. After the game, his limo was waiting to escort him out. However, there were long lines waiting for autographs, so Wilt hung around for some two hours signing every last one.

It was obvious though, that he was not well. And he would be dead within a few months. His will left KU with $650,000.

jlauber
05-19-2012, 08:43 AM
How is there a Wilt College footage and no 60+ game footage or am i wrong about that?

There used to be the entire second halves of game four of the '64 Finals, and game four of the '67 ECF's. Neither were anywhere close to Wilt's best games, although in that '64 game, Chamberlain outscored Russell, 27-8, and outrebounded him, 38-19.

The legendary liar, Bill Simmons, claims to have watched one of Wilt's 73 point games...but you have to take that with a grain of salt. Having said that, though, I have read where other's watched some games of the '60's featuring Chamberlain and Russell, including one by an ESPN sportswriter on another forum a while back. I believe that our own Pointguard said that he viewed footage in a museum, as well.

In any case, Chamberlain had those 271 40+ point NBA games, including 122 50+ point games, and 32 60+ point games. He also had a staggering 103 30-30 games in his NBA career, as well, as 55 40-30 games, eight 40-40 games, and four 50-40 games. He had 15 40+ rebound games, including one game in which he outrebounded Russell by a 55-19 margin. He had the three, and perhaps four, highest "perfect games from the field" (games of 15-15, 16-16, and 18-18,...with another questionable game of either 18-18 or 18-19.) He had 78 known triple-double games, including two double-triple-doubles (games of 22-25-21, and 34-33-20...that second one having recorded a known 20 blocks.) He also had a nationally televised game in 1968, in which he recorded 23 blocked shots, and Harvey Pollack lost count in another game at 25.

So, ultimately, if we had footage of just a few of the above, I honestly believe that there would be little doubt as to who the greatest individual basketball player of all-time really was.

jlauber
05-19-2012, 09:15 AM
I am excited for this.
Slightly concerned about a college game giving Wilt-haters fodder for "look at the short white guys" based nonsense (not that competition should be ignored for early 60s or perhaps especially college games, but then as mentioned the stall-ball tactics would have to be considered too, and anti-Wilt trollers will ignore this).

I agree. The "anti-Chamberlain clan", what is left here, always point to Wilt's height advantage against his peers. The facts were, Wilt wasn't even the tallest player in the NBA in six of his 14 seasons. And, the average starting center was 6-10 in 1960, and 6-11 in 1970...which is only slightly less than the average starting center in the NBA in this PAST NBA season (and those heights are actually exaggerated because many players are now measured with shoes, unlike those of the 60's and 70's.)

And how often does anyone here ever use Shaq's 50-100 WEIGHT advantage over HIS peers against him? Or watch footage of Shaq just barrelling over Mutombo in the '01 Finals, including elbows to his Dikembe's face. Given the fact that the NBA contantly came up with "anti-Wilt" rules in Chamberlain's era, there is just no way that they would have allowed Wilt to just simply over-power his peers. Of course, Wilt seldom did that anyway. He had a "Goliath complex" and instead used his skills and athleticism to dominate his peers.

And this nonsense that Wilt faced 6-7 centers has been trashed here many times. He seldom faced a 6-7 CENTER, and one of the few that he did, was 6-7 245 lb. HOFer Wes Unseld. Yet, no one here mentions that Ben Wallace was only 6-7.

And I have SHREDDED this ridiculous assertion that Wilt was seldom doubled. The FACT was, Chamberlain was MAULED for nearly his entire career, and certainly up thru the late 60's. He played in an NBA with two sets of rules...the "Chamberlain" officiated games, and then those rules by which everyone else played under.

The reality was, had Wilt played like Shaq, they would have been carrying players out in body bags. Fortunately for the Wilt's NBA, he didn't. But here again, there was no way that the NBA would have allowed that to happen.

millwad
05-19-2012, 09:53 AM
CavsFTW, post the video, please!
Lets give Jlauber the opportunity to bust his nuts, he is too excited at the moment.

jlauber
05-19-2012, 03:00 PM
in 40 minutes:

40 points
(14fgm on 17fga .824fg%)
(12ftm on 17fta .706%),

2 assists

12 blocks and 0 steals

It will also be interesting to see how many total FGAs were taken in this game by both teams. Wilt's 15 rebounds might be considerably better than the actual figure if there were a low number of possessions and shots. Same with his 12 blocks. And his 40 points on 17 FGAs is staggering in itself, and then if it occurred in a slow paced game, it will be even more impressive.

CavaliersFTW
05-19-2012, 04:07 PM
http://youtu.be/bRC2pm8kGNM

inclinerator
05-19-2012, 04:18 PM
http://youtu.be/BUeJYwBio-A
hi dan the man

CavaliersFTW
05-19-2012, 04:33 PM
hi dan the man

fixed, just a teaser for Jlauber to lose sleep over

Toizumi
05-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Dissapointed that it is NCAA.
Throughout the years we've seen players in the College and HS that look like men between boys. Will still be a cool watch, but not the type of game to "silence critics" of Wilt's play and competition..

CavaliersFTW
05-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Throughout the years we've seen players in the College and HS that look like men between boys. Will still be a cool watch, but not the type of game to "silence critics" of Wilt's play and competition..
Debbie downer...

LAClipsFan33
05-19-2012, 06:22 PM

:applause:

BlueCrayon
05-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Reading all these posts, one can conclude that CavaliersFTW is a much better poster than jlauber.

jlauber
05-19-2012, 07:41 PM

I have posted a mid-60's Chamberlain's numbers against Russell, Bellamy, Reed, and Thurmond (and I could easily add multiple All-Star Zelmo Beaty, as well), before, and he was just DESTROYING those guys.

And from '66 thru '68 his Sixers had the best record in the league each season. There were multiple reasons why they "only" won one title in those years, but you could find very little fault with Wilt in his post-season play in those three years.

In the '66 ECF's, Wilt averaged 28 ppg, 30.2 rpg, and shot .509...while his teammates collectively shot .352.

In the '68 ECF's, HOFer Cunningham missed the entire series; starters Luke Jackson and Wali Jones were injured in game five (with Philly leading the series 3-1); and Chamberlain himself was nursing a variety of ailments, including a torn calf muscle...and was noticeably limping from game three on.

Of course, Chamberlain absolutely crushed his peers in the '67 post-season, en route to taking his 68-13 Sixers to a dominating world title.

In any case, in Chamberlain's 29 post-season series, you would be hard-pressed to find single games, in each, in which he was outplayed. And in many he just crushed his opposing centers.

RedBlackAttack
05-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Nice touch on that little turnaround banker in the lane... Also, the way he snatches the ball out of the air in a crowd... Incredible hands.

Can't wait for this. People need to really stop worrying about his opponent. Who cares? I'm just interested in taking a good look at his overall skillset that early in his career. I don't care if he is in an empty gym.

I wait with baited breath. :cheers:

bwink23
05-19-2012, 09:16 PM
What year of college is it??

CavaliersFTW
05-19-2012, 09:56 PM
What year of college is it??
sophomore, this is the final regular season game of the season before the NCAA tournament began

Pointguard
05-20-2012, 12:40 AM

He banked that shot from a tough angle but that was his preference. Camp these days won't recommend it, but Wilt was very good at that shot. Its one of the consistently omitted, basic things about Wilt, that you wonder why it seemed taboo to talk about. It's not that hard of a descriptor to say it but for years, there was that one Red Holzman comment and little else written about it.

jlauber
05-20-2012, 01:47 AM
He banked that shot from a tough angle but that was his preference. Camp these days won't recommend it, but Wilt was very good at that shot. Its one of the consistently omitted, basic things about Wilt, that you wonder why it seemed taboo to talk about. It's not that hard of a descriptor to say it but for years, there was that one Red Holzman comment and little else written about it.

I have been claiming this for years. Wilt was a GOOD OUTSIDE shooter coming out of college. He had legitimate 15 ft. range. In fact, he was even a DECENT FT shooter, with reasonably good form when he came into the NBA.

I really can't pin-point when these claims that all Wilt could do, was dunk, came about. In the first half of his NBA career, he was scoring from all angles, with a wide variety of shots, and with range up to 15 ft.

And then, when there were only highlights, which CLEARLY illustrated Wilt's range,...then the "Wilt-detractors" came up with the lame argument that they were only highlights.

Of course, thanks to Cavs and other's, we are getting much more footage of a Chamberlain up thru the first half of his NBA career. And, we are witnessing CHUNKS of GAMES in which Chamberlain is not only demonstrating his mobility, but his RANGE.

The "Chamberlain-bashers" also ripped those, like myself, who actually SAW Wilt play, as well as EYE-WITNESS accounts of other's, regarding Wilt's DOCUMENTED leaping ability. Where is the FOOTAGE they argued? Well, we now have seen SEVERAL examples of Wilt's legendary leaping ability, including one in which his fingertips are within a couple of inches of the top of the backboard, and on a leap in which he has no time to react, goes straight up (no running start), and blocks the shot with his off-hand.

And the "anti-Wilt" clan scoffed that those that claimed that Chamberlain, with only a couple of steps, could dunk his FTs. This despite there being EYE-WITNESS accounts of such events. Then, in the last few months, none other than TEX WINTER has VERIFIED those claims. In fact, because of WILT, Winter railed to ban the dunking of FTs.

And more-and-more evidence and first hand accounts have become available regarding Chamberlain's staggering strength, as well. Those that used to laugh at the suggestion of Chamberlain coming close to a 500 lb. bench press, have been slammed with EYE-WITNESS accounts, and even early 60's MAGAZINE articles describing his amazing feats of strength.

Next, we will probably get a signed list of all 20,000 women, too.

And, of course, CavsFTW already posted the ACTUAL photo of Wilt knocking out that mountain lion.

CavaliersFTW
05-20-2012, 02:21 AM
I have been claiming this for years. Wilt was a GOOD OUTSIDE shooter coming out of college. He had legitimate 15 ft. range. In fact, he was even a DECENT FT shooter, with reasonably good form when he came into the NBA.

I really can't pin-point when these claims that all Wilt could do, was dunk, came about. In the first half of his NBA career, he was scoring from all angles, with a wide variety of shots, and with range up to 15 ft.

And then, when there were only highlights, which CLEARLY illustrated Wilt's range,...then the "Wilt-detractors" came up with the lame argument that they were only highlights.

Of course, thanks to Cavs and other's, we are getting much more footage of a Chamberlain up thru the first half of his NBA career. And, we are witnessing CHUNKS of GAMES in which Chamberlain is not only demonstrating his mobility, but his RANGE.

The "Chamberlain-bashers" also ripped those, like myself, who actually SAW Wilt play, as well as EYE-WITNESS accounts of other's, regarding Wilt's DOCUMENTED leaping ability. Where is the FOOTAGE they argued? Well, we now have seen SEVERAL examples of Wilt's legendary leaping ability, including one in which his fingertips are within a couple of inches of the top of the backboard, and on a leap in which he has no time to react, goes straight up (no running start), and blocks the shot with his off-hand.

And the "anti-Wilt" clan scoffed that those that claimed that Chamberlain, with only a couple of steps, could dunk his FTs. This despite there being EYE-WITNESS accounts of such events. Then, in the last few months, none other than TEX WINTER has VERIFIED those claims. In fact, because of WILT, Winter railed to ban the dunking of FTs.

And more-and-more evidence and first hand accounts have become available regarding Chamberlain's staggering strength, as well. Those that used to laugh at the suggestion of Chamberlain coming close to a 500 lb. bench press, have been slammed with EYE-WITNESS accounts, and even early 60's MAGAZINE articles describing his amazing feats of strength.

Next, we will probably get a signed list of all 20,000 women, too.

And, of course, CavsFTW already posted the ACTUAL photo of Wilt knocking out that mountain lion.
http://www.the-coli.com/images/smilies/what.png

Pointguard
05-20-2012, 03:08 AM
They got after CavsFTW for not showing the actual punch.

jlauber
05-20-2012, 10:27 AM
While we are waiting, this clip has been around for awhile, but it certainly was indicative of Chamberlain's skillset...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWrGWuU2Ak

bwink23
05-20-2012, 10:49 AM
While we are waiting, this clip has been around for awhile, but it certainly was indicative of Chamberlain's skillset...

That Chamberlain finger roll was crazy. He'd do it right in the mug of guys 6'10 and taller....:wtf:

jlauber
05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Wilt was nearly 7-2 (in fact, there were those at the time who claimed he was at least that tall), and would probably be measured at 7-3 in today's NBA. He also had an amazing (and verified) wing-span of 7-8. We KNOW that he was college high-jump champ (as well as a participant in the long jump and triple-jump), and it is being increasingly clear that he had somewhere around a 42" vertical (which, BTW, would have been necessary for him to touch the top of the backboard...of which there were two eye-witnesses to that feat.) He was also a SPRINTER on KU's track team, and he, himself, claimed he ran a 4.4 40. Now before someone laughs that off, a 27 year old Chamberlain, at 290 lbs, was timed at 4.6 by none other than Hank Stram. And, the internet is plastered with accounts of Wilt's astonishing strength...many of which claim a 500+ lb bench press.

Now, given the SKILLSET that he possessed in the above video...why would anyone believe that a PRIME Chamberlain would not DOMINATE the CURRENT NBA?

He was taller, bigger, longer, stronger, faster, a higher leaper, and faster than Dwight...and was more SKILLED.

Essentially, Chamberlain was everything that a prime Shaq was, as well, except more athletic, and more skilled. The only area where I would give Shaq the edge, was that Shaq played a more physical game. And, here again, I just don't believe that Wilt's NBA would have allowed Chamberlain to just overpower his peers. He was already overwhelming the NBA at that time, and I am convinced that they would not have allowed him to make a complete mockery of the game.

CavaliersFTW
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
http://youtu.be/MHPd7oMjphI

Hopefully I'll be finished by the time the finals end :lol the entire video itself is edited (I added my own camera pans/zooms) but this is how far I am with completed video+sound.

eliteballer
06-15-2012, 08:53 PM
You couldnt have chosen a worse game...its reinforces stereotypes. It's literally Wilt against a bunch of short white dudes

CavaliersFTW
06-15-2012, 09:00 PM
You couldnt have chosen a worse game...its reinforces stereotypes. It's literally Wilt against a bunch of short white dudes
:facepalm :lol As if I chose which 40 point game of his was going to come out of the woodwork? quit crying you spoiled piece of crap, Wilt footage isn't easy to come by and I have plenty of footage of Wilt playing vs Jabbar/Thurmond/Bellamy/Russell/Reed to neutralize perceptions of "short white dudes". U should be happy a game even turned up where he dropped 40. :kobe:

Rake2204
06-15-2012, 09:20 PM

Hopefully I'll be finished by the time the finals end :lol the entire video itself is edited (I added my own camera pans/zooms) but this is how far I am with completed video+sound.
Such a strange follow through on that pass at the 1:18 mark. He looks like he's either casting a spell, impersonating Frankenstein, or playing freeze tag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHPd7oMjphI&feature=youtu.be#t=1m17s

Deuce Bigalow
06-15-2012, 10:59 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Why would you show that? Is one of the defenders within half a foot of him?

jlauber
06-15-2012, 11:38 PM

Yeah...it's too bad we don't have footage of the 24 games in which Chamberlain scored 40+ on Russell, including FIVE games of 50+ (one, a 50-35 PLAYOFF game), with a HIGH of 62 points (on 27-45 shooting.) Or his 44-43 game against Russell. Or his 46-34 "must-win" playoff game against Russell. Or his 34-55 game against Russell, in which he outrebounded Russell by a 55-19 margin.

Or the MANY 50+ games that Wilt hung on 7-0 Walter Dukes in the 61-62 and 62-63 seasons. Or the 50+ games he hung on 7-3 Swede Halbrook. Or the 50+ games against 6-11 Leroy Ellis, including a 65 point game.

Or the NINE games from his 64-65 season, when he AVERAGED 40.1 ppg against HOFer Willis Reed. Which included games in which he outscored Reed by 41-9, 52-23, and 58-28.

Or the 11 STRAIGHT games against 6-11 HOFer Nate Thurmond, in which he AVERAGED 30 ppg against him, and which included games of 30, 33, 34, 34, 38, and 45...and in which he was outscoring him by 33-10, 38-15, and 45-13.

Or the TWENTY STRAIGHT GAMES against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy, in which he AVERAGED an eye-popping 48.2 ppg against him, and which included FOUR games of 60+...with a HIGH of 73 points (along with 36 rebounds.)

Or a 35 year old Wilt pounding the 6-11 HOFer Bob Lanier with a 32-31 game (and averaging 29 ppg against him in five H2H's that season.)

Or a 33 year old Wilt, before shredding his knee, just CRUSHING Kareem with a 25-25 9-14 game in which he badly outplayed Kareem in EVERY facet of the game. Or a 36 year old Wilt, in his LAST season, outscoring a PRIME Kareem, 24-21, and outshooting him 10-14 to 10-27.

So, if we had THAT footage...well, there would be NO DOUBT as to who the most dominant player of all-time really was.

CavaliersFTW
06-15-2012, 11:50 PM

:lol only two of them and only just barely

But come on, all I got to say to the people with their panties in a knot is: Was the USA dream team shitting on teams like Angola no fun to watch!? Hell naw! Quite the contrary! - Wilt massacring this team is cool to watch and it still has impressive moments considering his ability to get past some box and 1 defensive walls! The center & backup center he's against are barely the height of Ben Wallace (6-7 barefoot) with probably 20 less lbs but he looks like he has a decent wingspan and again they used team defense against Wilt but still... Yah the Dudes clearly were outclassed and got raped :lol

#30 is the starting center against Wilt, this pic is actually from the game. Wilt loses his shoe on one of the plays.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-13kJQvXMTx8/T9v_S7JtGkI/AAAAAAAADfs/4c-TsPrsbiQ/s800/0.wilt-chamberlain.2.jpg

Stop bitchin people it's not like he never dropped even crazier numbers on guys like Russell or Bellamy... dude grabbed 55 boards on Russell and blocked Kareem's skyhook I think we can give him a pass for cutting his teeth on some college white boys :roll:

bwink23
06-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Wilt would stick his pecker in today's brand of centers....no joke.

:coleman:

jlauber
06-16-2012, 10:23 AM

I like the Wilt intro. It sounds like it came from his LAST appearance in Kansas, and just before he died, when they finally retired his jersey. Anyway, excellent editing.

jlauber
06-16-2012, 10:34 AM

You would be hard-pressed to find very many games in which Shaq faced an opposing center who was within 50 lbs of him, too. And there were probably MANY in which he outweighed his opponent by 100+.

In any case...just WATCH the footage (and the other's that are out there.) Clowns like yourself would have us believe that Wilt was lumbering "Frankenstein" dunking on the helpless. HOWEVER, there is a TON in which Chamberlain is scoring from a VARIETY of ways and shots. In fact, he SELDOM uses his overwhelming edge in size and strength to full advantage.

And, I am a huge fan of Shaq...but find me a video in which Chamberlain does this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3FXLyNFew

Do you honestly believe that the NBA would have allowed Wilt to play like that?

necya
06-16-2012, 11:23 AM

thanks, will you edit a dvd of the game ?
the first bucket is impressive, and the last action shows his amazing quickness. :applause:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Yeah, but he got exposed in the pros. The footage clearly shows he was overrated. Check these game 7 facts.

Wilt vs Boston in Game 7's: 0-4. In 1962, Wilt scored 22 pts, Sam Jones scored 28 pts (Wilts 50.4 ppg season) It gets better guys. In 1965, he scored 30 pts...Sam Jones scored 37 pts. In '68, Wilt scored 14 pts...Sam Jones scored 22 pts. In Sam Jones' last career NBA game he outscored Wilt 24 to 18. :oldlol:

Overrated.

jlauber
06-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Amazingly, and as impressive as Wilt's numbers are in this upcoming video, it would not come close to Chamberlain's greatest PRO games. Just a quick list off the top of my head, and in no particular order...

1. 100 points, 25 rebounds, 36-63 from the field.
2. 78 points, 43 rebounds against the Lakers.
3. 44-43 game against Russell
4. 50-35, on 22-42 shooting, playoff game against Russell
5. 22 points, 25 rebounds, 21 assists
6. 24 points, 8-13 shooting, 32 rebounds, 13 assists, and 12 blocks in playoff game against Russell.
7. Outscoring Russell, 42-9, and outrebounding Russell, 37-20, in a playoff game.
8. 50 points, 22-32 shooting, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, in a playoff game.
9. 42 points on 18-18 shooting from the field.
10. Outscoring Nate Thurmond, 45-13.
11. A 73 point, 36 rebound game against Walt Bellamy
12. A 66 point game, late in his career, on 29-35 shooting from the field.
13. Outscoring Russell, 34-18, while outrebounding him, 55-19.
14. 29 point, 10-16 shooting, 36 rebound, 13 assist, 7 block game in a series clinching win over Russell's Celtics.
15. A triple-double game of 53 points, 32 rebounds, 14 assist, (7 blocks) and on 24-29 shooting.
16. 56 points, 35 rebounds in a series clinching playoff game win.
17. 53 points, 22 rebounds, 24-42 shooting, in a series clinching playoff game win.
18. 23 blocks in a nationally televised game in 1968.
19. 16 points, 30 rebounds, and 19 assists in a playoff game.
20. 62 points, on 27-45 shooting, with 28 rebounds, against Russell.
21. 46 points, on 19-34 shooting, with 34 rebounds, and in a series clinching playoff loss game against Russell.
22. 30 points, on 12-15 shooting, with 32 rebounds, in a game seven, one point loss against a Russell-led 62-18 Celtic team.
23. 20 points and 41 rebounds in a playoff win over Russell's Celtics.
24. 45 points, on 20-27 shooting, with 27 rebounds, late in his career, in a must-win Finals game, and only four months removed from major knee surgery.
25. 34 points, 33 rebounds, and 20 blocked shots and in a game against Bellamy.
26. A 45 point, 35 rebound game, against Russell (15 points and 13 rebounds) and in their second H2H game.
27. Outscoring Russell in a Finals game, 27-8, and outrebounding him, 38-19.
28. A 62 point, 37 rebound game against the Warriors.
29. Outscoring Willis Reed 58-28.
30. Holding Walt Bellamy scoreless in the first half of their first meeting, and outscoring him in that game, 53-14.

Of course, Chamberlain had 271 40+ games; 118 (and 4 more in the playoffs) 50+ point games; 32 60+ point game; and six 70+ point games.

He had 103 30-30 games; 55 40-30 games; 8 40-40 games; and 4 50-40 games.

He had either the three or possibly four highest "perfect" games from the field (15-15, 16-16, and 18-18, with a possible 18-18 or 18-19 game.)

The list goes on and on...

jlauber
06-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah, but he got exposed in the pros. The footage clearly shows he was overrated. Check these game 7 facts.

Wilt vs Boston in Game 7's: 0-4. In 1962, Wilt scored 22 pts, Sam Jones scored 28 pts (Wilts 50.4 ppg season) It gets better guys. In 1965, he scored 30 pts...Sam Jones scored 37 pts. In '68, Wilt scored 14 pts...Sam Jones scored 22 pts. In Sam Jones' last career NBA game he outscored Wilt 24 to 18. :oldlol:

Overrated.

Hmmm...and here I thought that it was RUSSELL who was matched up with Wilt. In any case, in those four game four's (losses by 2, 1, 4, and 2 points...and Wilt was not on the floor in the last five minutes of that game seven)...

Wilt outscored Russell, per game, 21.3 to 13.2 ppg. He outrebounded Russell, per game, 28.5 rpg to 24.5 rpg. And in those four games Chamberlain shot...get this... .638 from the field! I don't have Russell's 67-68 game seven, but in the other three, he shot .413 overall.

Of course, those were just four of Wilt's ELEVEN absolute elimination games (NINE Game seven's, one game five of a best-of-five, and one game three of a best-of-three series.)

So, let's examine those ELEVEN games shall we?

Chamberlain played in 11 games which went to the series limit (nine game seven's, one game five of a best-of-five series, and one game three of a best-of-three series), and all he did was average 29.9 ppg (outscoring his opposing center by a 29.9 ppg to 9.8 ppg margin in the process), with 26.7 rpg, and on .581 shooting. Or he was an eye-lash away from averaging a 30-27 game, and on nearly .600 shooting, in those 11 "at the limit" games.

But, yes, that was the "over-rated" "choker" Chamberlain.

Bigsmoke
06-16-2012, 04:36 PM
No offence but Wilt was just tall.

jlauber
06-16-2012, 04:52 PM

Well, you can see in this footage, that he was also VERY SKILLED...

But, then think about this. He was over 7-1. He had a MEASURED wingspan of 7-8. At his physical peak, he was between 280-290 lbs. There are numerous links crediting Wilt with over a 500 lb bench, but even in the mid-60 there were articles with Chamberlain at 400+. He was not only a high jump CHAMPION, there are EYE-WITNESS accounts of Chamberlain touching the top of the backboard (by Philly sports icon Sonny Hill and long-time Sixers trainor, Al Domenico.) We even have FOOTAGE of a Chamberlain block, with no time to react, and going straight up, with his fingertips within inches of the top of the backboard. We also have an INTERVIEW with none other than Tex Winter, who claimed that he saw Chamberlain take three steps, and then dunk the ball with a leap from behind the FT line. And, finally, we have Chief's coach Hank Stram, clocking a 290 lb. Wilt, aged 27, at 4.6 in the 40 (and Wilt himself claimed that he ran a 4.4 in college.)

Now, give me another player in the history of the game, including even David Robinson, who could match ALL of those physical skills.

Vienceslav
06-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Just a quick list off the top of my head, and in no particular order...

You know what?
I believe you.:roll:

CavaliersFTW
06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
lol

Psileas
06-18-2012, 10:40 AM

No offence, but you just troll.