PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving undercover pickup game as an old man

chazzy
05-18-2012, 04:48 PM
http://youtu.be/8DnKOc6FISU :oldlol:

swi7ch
05-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Looks better than DWade last night as an old man.

Clippersfan86
05-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Seems clearly staged but nonetheless I'm a big time Kyrie homer now man. Such a fu**ing sick game. I have been converted by the sword this season :lol . I doubted you once Kyrie... never again :bowdown: .

inclinerator
05-18-2012, 04:58 PM
that was pretty cool

heyhey
05-18-2012, 05:03 PM
"don't reach young blud"

:roll:

TonyD
05-18-2012, 05:04 PM
That's dope.

tikay0
05-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Just became a fan.

Grinder
05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
That was amazing. I wish I was there. :lol

(e)
05-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Hahaha hilarious. Even though I doubt it was his idea and it was definitely staged, he did an awesome job.

The_Yearning
05-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Would of been better if he actually trolled for real.

EoJ
05-18-2012, 05:17 PM
It was setup to look like a documentary on the "nephew" So it was at least partially real.

vert48
05-18-2012, 05:19 PM
It would have been much funnier if you cut out the dunking, trash talk and the dribbling crap. Those guys all knew by the end that they had been had. If he had just gone out as an old man and scored 50 on them by shooting from deep and making layups, it would have seemed real.

Punpun
05-18-2012, 05:25 PM
That'd be boring though.

andgar923
05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Just became a fan.

this!

Even tho it was clearly staged (them chicks there with makeup on? :rolleyes: ) I just became a fan.

Zackmorris
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm starting to like this Kyrie Irving guy

Derrick
05-18-2012, 05:32 PM
this!

Even tho it was clearly staged (them chicks there with makeup on? :rolleyes: ) I just became a fan.
Come on if they knew there was a documentary going on why wouldnt random people just go to watch to be on film..

vert48
That'd be boring though.You and I like different humor then. I think it is funnier if it looks like it is actually possible.

DuMa
if only it was real.

triangleoffense
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Entirely staged but that's some awesome character acting by Irving. I almost didn't believe that it was him. Irving is definitely one of the more intelligent players in the game, I never knew he had this big of a personality as well.

All the signs are currently pointing towards success in the NBA for Irving.

BTW I've never seen that many girls in makeup on a random basketball court in what appears to be an underprivileged part of town.

chazzy
05-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Not sure if it's completely staged. They were told it was a documentary for another player in the game and their reactions to the dunk seemed genuine

Pointguard
05-18-2012, 05:40 PM
It was setup to look like a documentary on the "nephew" So it was at least partially real.
Yeah, you can tell that some of the reactions were genuine. But there is another part where he showed crazy handles and the crowd didn't applaud until after the layup went in. All crowds go crazy over the handle alone.

triangleoffense
05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Not sure if it's completely staged. They were told it was a documentary for another player in the game and their reactions to the dunk seemed genuine
Trust me dude, it's 100% completely staged.

Look at all the attractive girls in makeup just sitting around in that type of neighborhood? Look at the almost perfect statistical distribution of races (white and black), no neighborhood is that perfectly heterogeneous. Also everyone would obviously know that "Uncle Drew" was not an old man from the first few minutes of playing with him.

Also look at the quality of lighting on the court and the use of the cameras. The court looks like it has flood lights on it, no normal city basketball court would have freaking LED lights covering every inch of the court.

And when was the last time you saw that many people observing a pickup game?

Rake2204
05-18-2012, 05:49 PM
One of the comments on YouTube:

i was there. they said they were shooting a documentary on the nephew. we thought he was an old guy until he dunked the first time. then i thought it was Ty Lawson...

It would have been much funnier if you cut out the dunking, trash talk and the dribbling crap. Those guys all knew by the end that they had been had. If he had just gone out as an old man and scored 50 on them by shooting from deep and making layups, it would have seemed real.
I really enjoyed the video but if I had to be picky, I'd agree with you. Like the YouTube comment I posted above, the minute he dunked, the cat was clearly out of the bag and everyone knew something zany and tricky was going on. Things were probably weird enough with the guise of a documentary being filmed and whatnot. I still liked it though, only I may have held off dunking until the end.

Look at all the attractive girls in makeup just sitting around in that type of neighborhood? Look at the almost perfect statistical distribution of races (white and black), no neighborhood is that perfectly heterogeneous. Also everyone would obviously know that "Uncle Drew" was not an old man from the first few minutes of playing with him.

Also look at the quality of lighting on the court and the use of the cameras. The court looks like it has flood lights on it, no normal city basketball court would have freaking LED lights covering every inch of the court.

Like Derrick mentioned below, I haven't a doubt a major film crew, a couple of film-related vehicles, and possible lighting enhancements would draw a healthy crowd in a city of 45,000. I'm trying to picture what would happen if something like that occurred in my city and I envision similar results.

Also, for the sake of information, Bloomfield (where the video is held) is 60% white and 20% African-American. Such an eclectic mix on the basketball court does not seem surprising. I've played in cities with a much lower than 20% African-American makeup and the basketball courts are still oftentimes nearly evenly mixed.

To be sure though, I can't say you're wrong on your suspicions. I'd be curious as to how all of this really came together. There's women hanging around our courts too. . . but they're not looking like that.

Derrick
05-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Simple when there is a camera people flock there.

LBJMVP
05-18-2012, 05:53 PM

Also look at the quality of lighting on the court and the use of the cameras. The court looks like it has flood lights on it, no normal city basketball court would have freaking LED lights covering every inch of the co.

it wasnt staged.... even one of the youtube comments was from a guy that was there.

plus "uncle drew" started off playing like shit, and then got better and better and better.

eventually they knew it wasn't an old guy, but to say it was 100% staged is very innacurate.

and the reason there were so many people viewing it because they probly came with the "nephew" since there was a documentary on him, so all they "groupies" new they were gonna be on tv in the "documentary" so they put on makeup.

us some common sense.

Pointguard
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM

But some people arrive and are not told about the setting. The camera angles were distant enough to not tell. I remember a friend called me and told me to come up the block to a well known park: Chris Webber and Tmac just called next. I was an Assistant Director before so I immediately began looking for the cameras, which were in trees and on top of smaller buildings. They had a whole lot of natural responses for that commercial.

brantonli
05-18-2012, 06:02 PM
That was absolutely awesome. Wade's was completely unstaged, but even though this one sort of was (as in people thought it was the nephew who was being filmed) the reactions are great. I wonder when did the crowd finally catch on though? probably when he did that off the board alley-oop :lol

LBJMVP
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM
That was absolutely awesome. Wade's was completely unstaged, but even though this one sort of was (as in people thought it was the nephew who was being filmed) the reactions are great. I wonder when did the crowd finally catch on though? probably when he did that off the board alley-oop :lol

i think all the girls were suppose to be "groupies of the nephew.
you can clearly see one drinking a pepsi in the commercial. that explain why they have on all the makeup.

but all the guys reactions were real, and one of youtube comments was of a guy that was there and he said they all thought it was an old guy until he dunked it.

brantonli
05-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Oh yeah, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they spread the word about a film crew coming to film somebody before hand (especially if the 'nephew' regularly balls there, all he has to do is say 'Oh Pepsi is filming me this saturday' and tons of ppl will show up.

andgar923
05-18-2012, 06:12 PM

This.

Documentary or not, shit was staged.

The quality of the production alone.

And....

Notice they're all just conveniently drinking the Pepsi being advertised. :rolleyes:

LBJMVP
05-18-2012, 06:18 PM
This.

Documentary or not, shit was staged.

The quality of the production alone.

And....

Notice they're all just conveniently drinking the Pepsi being advertised. :rolleyes:

it doesn't seem staged at all.

doing a documentary on a basketball player that looks to be 20 so obviously girls are gonna be with him... and of course in a pepsi commercial they are gonna give girls pepsi to drink. the girls were part of the acting crew, you want them to be drinking dr. pepper.

but all the guys on the court before they showed up had no idea.

and if there are doing a documentary that they most likely told the guys on the court was gonna be on tv than what kind of camera do you expect them to have?

even one of the guys that was there said in a youtube comment that they had no idea until irving dunked it.

it was clearly not staged, the guys on the court had no idea.

but irving, his nephew, the guy that got injured, and all the girls were planted. it really isn't that hard to understand.

andgar923
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Come on if they knew there was a documentary going on why wouldnt random people just go to watch to be on film..

If we're to assume this is true....

Documentary filmmakers wouldn't want to advertise it. They'd want to keep the reality of their subject's life as it is. That would mean, no advertising, and most certainly be no actors or "random" people.

Now... let's pretend that "random" people just happened to show up, without any sort of advertising by Pepsi. Where were they going when they happened to stumble across this game? the girls were done up. They had their hair done, makeup, dressed somewhat nicely etc.etc. and to top it off, they didn't look like the typical girl that might just happen to walk over there, they looked like models.

And we all know that if some random shit is being filmed, you'd see tons of kids show up (yeah.. no matter the time unless it was really late).

Again.... they just happen to be drinking the exact same drink Pepsi is advertising. :coleman:

LBJMVP
05-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Documentary filmmakers wouldn't want to advertise it. They'd want to keep the reality of their subject's life as it is. That would mean, no advertising, and most certainly be no actors or "random" people.

Now... let's pretend that "random" people just happened to show up, without any sort of advertising by Pepsi. Where were they going when they happened to stumble across this game? the girls were done up. They had their hair done, makeup, dressed somewhat nicely etc.etc. and to top it off, they didn't look like the typical girl that might just happen to walk over there, they looked like models.

And we all know that if some random shit is being filmed, you'd see tons of kids show up (yeah.. no matter the time unless it was really late).

Again.... they just happen to be drinking the exact same drink Pepsi is advertising. :coleman:

i just explained that... they were probly suppose to be groupie of the the nephew that the documentary was being done on. so they were hired acters that were part of the trick. so of course they are gonna be given pepsi to drink.
:banghead:

CLE[216]
05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
After watching Kyrie for just one season, you can't say enough about the kid. Pure class, with a warm and humble personality off the court. On the court, he's out of this world. I've never seen a point guard with this well-rounded of a game at 20 years-old. It's really impossible to judge this guy's ceiling at this point. He was already pretty damn efficient as the focal point for opposing defenses so I can't imagine what he'll do with more talent around him. Depending on how the draft goes this year, Cleveland might bounce back a lot quicker than people thought.

andgar923
05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
it doesn't seem staged at all.

doing a documentary on a basketball player that looks to be 20 so obviously girls are gonna be with him... and of course in a pepsi commercial they are gonna give girls pepsi to drink. the girls were part of the acting crew, you want them to be drinking dr. pepper.

but all the guys on the court before they showed up had no idea.

and if there are doing a documentary that they most likely told the guys on the court was gonna be on tv than what kind of camera do you expect them to have?

even one of the guys that was there said in a youtube comment that they had no idea until irving dunked it.

it was clearly not staged, the guys on the court had no idea.

but irving, his nephew, the guy that got injured, and all the girls were planted. it really isn't that hard to understand.

You contradicted yourself dude.

The girls were in on it, but the players weren't because they genuinely seemed shocked.

I can agree with this, but the fact that you mentioned the girls being in on it already makes my point. And... could it be that those were hired basketball players? and even part of the crew?

Could it be that the surprised players were 'actors'?

I somewhat agree with you at the end.

Some clearly were part of the production, while some weren't.

At the end, it's obvious it was staged.

Rake2204
05-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Well I think the idea of the girls being planted makes sense. But in terms of folks stumbling on the scene, I think that's more than possible. I know I've been drawn to scenes before. My brothers and I stumbled upon a movie set in Detroit and when we come across something being filmed in Ann Arbor, there definitely tends to be a little bit of a groundswell.

Of course, in big cities I suppose filming could almost mix in with the rest of the city. If something big pops up in a smaller town, I think there's an increased likelihood of curiosity from the general public because it'll likely stick out more than it would in a larger area (particularly with the lights, and the fact the film crew had to park all their vehicles somewhere).

LBJMVP
05-18-2012, 06:29 PM
You contradicted yourself dude.

The girls were in on it, but the players weren't because they genuinely seemed shocked.

I can agree with this, but the fact that you mentioned the girls being in on it already makes my point. And... could it be that those were hired basketball players? and even part of the crew?

Could it be that the surprised players were 'actors'?

I somewhat agree with you at the end.

Some clearly were part of the production, while some weren't.

At the end, it's obvious it was staged.

the girls were actors, and knew that kyrie was dressed as the old guy.
they were suppose to act all surprised when he played good though because they were "groupies" of the nephew.

kind of hard to explain, but in my head it makes sense perfectly.

then all the girls presumably had sex with kyrie that night :coleman:

as for random people stumbling in, what if one of the guys that was there called his friends and said, "hey they are filming a documentary at the court. get you ass up here."

SilkyJohnson
05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
It's only idiots who lap up Apple products and watch gross out video clips because it's the in thing to post reactions or watch viral videos and reality TV as a pastime that think this isn't staged.

jbryan1984
05-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Loved it.

LBJMVP
05-18-2012, 06:39 PM
It's only idiots who lap up Apple products and watch gross out video clips because it's the in thing to post reactions or watch viral videos and reality TV as a pastime that think this isn't staged.

then why is there a youtube comment from one of the guys that was there that said that everyone thought i was an old guy until he dunked it :facepalm

ill say it again.

the girls are actors, the nephew is on actor, the guy who gets injured is an actor, kyrie is an actor.

the guys who were on the court before they showed up were not actors.

and i dont own an apple product, i dont watch gross-out videos, i dont watch viral videos or reality tv and it was still very easy to figure that out.

Calabis
05-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Seems clearly staged but nonetheless I'm a big time Kyrie homer now man. Such a fu**ing sick game. I have been converted by the sword this season :lol . I doubted you once Kyrie... never again :bowdown: .

Read the comments on video...a guy that was there commented

LiLharvard
05-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Kyrie Irving with his Ozzie swagg

ILLsmak
05-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Would of been better if he actually trolled for real.

Yeah... hard to do with cameras, though. Could have had someone with a cel phone camera.

-Smak

chips93
05-18-2012, 07:41 PM

this was a big give away

at least some of the people had to have been in on it

ILLsmak
05-18-2012, 07:43 PM

that's a crazy sentence.

-Smak

Whoah10115
05-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Reppin Montclair and Elizabeth, lol. He went to my rival high school...well, my high school's rival. Whatever lol.

B-Easy8
05-18-2012, 09:22 PM
That was great.

They shouldn't have scripted it though, imagine if he just showed up and started schooling thos guys. Old man crossing someone up then dunking on them.

bagelred
05-18-2012, 09:28 PM
:roll: that is hilarious

chazzy
05-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Old man Kyrie: :crazysam:

ukfan22
05-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Link to Wade's?

don't think I've seen that

longtime lurker
05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
He looks younger than Greg Oden

chazzy
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Link to Wade's?

don't think I've seen that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw3s0QcL7f8&feature=channel&list=UL

LosBulls
05-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Lol if he played every cavs game with the outfit on lmao.

RedBlackAttack
05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Fantastic.

As for whether it was real or not, I'm somewhat on the fence. Clearly, the girls in full makeup in the crowd drinking Pepsi were not just conveniently there. However, I think it is entirely possible that they had those girls on stand-by to make the pickup players feel even more exposed.

If it was real, which I'm doubting, everyone was in on the joke except for the guys playing on the court (and maybe the small crowd which had formed by the end).

It isn't impossible and I'd like to think it was real. Either way, great spot.

Draz
05-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Haha funny starting to like him never seen him play hope he keeps this up what a good kid

StroShow4
05-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Real or fake, that last crossover and spin move was :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

d.bball.guy
05-18-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm in love with Kyrie, yes homo.

RaininTwos
05-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Real or fake, that last crossover and spin move was :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:
my reaction: :eek: :eek: :bowdown:

RedBlackAttack
05-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Haha funny starting to like him never seen him play hope he keeps this up what a good kid
I'd get on that ASAP.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdPcGP8-niM&feature=related)is a good place to start.

Pointguard
05-19-2012, 01:36 PM
I found a smaller clip of the video that I saw filmed but was done totally on the guise of the crowd not knowing with a 9 planted Code Red drinkers and 3 actors with vocal parts separated throughout the unknowing crowd. But this park is totally out in the open and incredibly visible to a ton of pedestrian traffic. Even if they wanted to do a planned video shoot they couldn't do it without people just lingering in. As is the case with movies Code Red's production team had to give out T shirts and get signatures of release after they finished shooting. Short after the game begun people began talking about the camera's which had to be edited out. The plants (actors) were hardly used in the commercial and two hundred shirts were given out.

I don't know where this Kyrie video is but if the park has traffic I have to believe that some of the final edit has real responses. I know they did not pay all of those people as onsite extras. The code red video is below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uufIbtSiTSg

Meticode
05-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Oh man I'm loving Irving rightnow. "I know I'm old young blood, but you wanna switch sneakers? You sure you don't wanna switch sneakers?" :oldlol:

Meticode
05-19-2012, 01:55 PM
He looks younger than Greg Oden
:roll: First thing I thought of. "He looks like Greg Oden."

FKAri
05-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Greg Oden still has some game left in em it seems.

mans1ay3r
05-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Why don't they do this in the NBA? Like on Halloween? :oldlol:

Kobe 4 The Win
05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
I loved that.

winwin
05-19-2012, 02:26 PM
pepsi zero commercial

Da Doc04
05-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm starting to like this Kyrie Irving guy
:rockon: :rockon:

SuperPippen
05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Staged or not, I couldn't give a shit.

It was a cool, entertaining video. Like others have said, I had no idea Kyrie was this charismatic and likable.

And his handles... :bowdown:

Simple Jack
05-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Kyrie is the man

NattyPButter
05-19-2012, 03:25 PM
I see his sister is in the crowd also.

Pointguard
05-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I think a lot of guys feel the pressure (I used to love Lebron in that role) and you don't get to see their personalities. Kyrie is a live one.

3peated
05-19-2012, 03:57 PM
that's funny

Scholar
05-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I became a fan of Irving's when he balled in the Rookie game, and this just made me like him more. I think it was staged but still entertaining to watch.

bagelred
05-19-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't think it was staged, per se. Meaning I think the cameras and the crowds were there for one reason,and they didn't know it was for the Kyrie Irving show. I think the reactions of the other players are genuine.

artificial
05-19-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't care too much if it was staged or not, I found the video interesting :D

And maybe that was just some standard stuff for an NBA PG, but I still had to watch it a couple of times in slow-mo just to fully understand what he was doing with his dribbles. Crazy sh

TheBluest
05-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Very Low Budget but at least he's trying to put his touch of personality on the league. He's one of the good guys gotta try and appreciate his persona and skills. Hopefully he turns out to be a great player.

RedBlackAttack
05-19-2012, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=artificial]I don't care too much if it was staged or not, I found the video interesting :D

And maybe that was just some standard stuff for an NBA PG, but I still had to watch it a couple of times in slow-mo just to fully understand what he was doing with his dribbles. Crazy sh

MJ(Mean John)
05-20-2012, 04:46 AM

Trade em for cp?

MJ(Mean John)
05-20-2012, 04:49 AM
People don't realize it yet, but he has one of the very best handles in the league... Maybe the best.

I don't think it will be long before this is widely recognized.

Just take a look at these few plays...

Play 1 vs OKC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLWmi7GobA)

Play 2 vs OKC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNUa2ARgUSE)

Play 3 vs OKC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdFj3iPEvA)

Play 4 vs Knicks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFiIiypFQKw)

Play 5 vs Bucks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdUbBuBW3_c#t=1m0)

Play 6 vs Jazz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGjewiYdAVc)

and so on...

I don't think that much of anything that he does with the ball is standard for the NBA. There are certainly other great dribblers in the league, but Kyrie is right there. That spin move that he does on the guy near the end of the commercial is basically the same spin that he used against the Celtics on his game-winning layup. The Cs didn't fair any better.

This little motherfuc.ker is nice. Too had cavs don't get no play