PDA

View Full Version : Stan Van Gundy and Otis Smith out of Orlando.

bdreason
05-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Didn't see this coming. :oldlol:

bagelred
05-21-2012, 03:40 PM
:biggums: :biggums:

RidonKs
05-21-2012, 03:41 PM
:(

1987_Lakers
05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow, it's true. Howard a Magic for life now.:oldlol:

longtime lurker
05-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Link?

Zackmorris
05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
http://baltimoresportsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/g215758_u62167_dwight-howard-banana.jpg

AMISTILLILL
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
In other news, Dwight Howard's back miraculously feels better; seen doing somersaults around the Orlando area.

hawkfan
05-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Otis Smith should have been fired for trading Gilbert Arenas, not getting him run, and releasing him. Just terrible.

And would Arenas be better than Nelson or Duhon? Possibly.

Stan Van Gundy was basically asking to be fired the way he was acting stupidly.

Punpun
05-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh My God Is That Christmas ? Did The Owner Actually Make A Good Decision In 10 Years ?

HylianNightmare
05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Shocker

DMizzle
05-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Here is the link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7956244/orlando-magic-part-ways-coach-stan-van-gundy-general-manager-otis-smith

Clippersfan86
05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
He's headed to the Clippers. He's a California guy to begin with.

Salazaar
05-21-2012, 04:04 PM
I saw this coming, there's no way the Magic could keep The Diva happy with Van Gundy on board...

Shepseskaf
05-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Otis was gone no matter what, and I'm not sure who else will give him a job.

SVG, imo, hurt himself with that ridiculous "press conference". Should have kept his mouth shut.

He's a good coach, though. Let's see who steps up to hire him.

boozehound
05-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Otis was gone no matter what, and I'm not sure who else will give him a job.

SVG, imo, hurt himself with that ridiculous "press conference". Should have kept his mouth shut.

He's a good coach, though. Let's see who steps up to hire him.
nah, he'll be fine. he is too good a coach for some small shit like that to sully his rep.

Salazaar
05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Howard first forces Van Gundy out and then in a few months will leave the franchise :D

All Net
05-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Not what I call a big enough upgrade.

Clippersfan86
05-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Not what I call a big enough upgrade.

I'm just being controversial. I agree I want more. Sloan+PJ or bust.

upside24
05-21-2012, 04:14 PM
In other news, Dwight Howard's back miraculously feels better; seen doing somersaults around the Orlando area.
:roll:

Shepseskaf
05-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Howard first forces Van Gundy out and then in a few months will leave the franchise :D
My take is that ownership realized what a huge mistake it was to compromise their organizational integrity just to keep DHo. So, they're cleaning house -- SVG, Otis - gone; DHo, soon to follow.

Right thing to do, in my book. Gain back control of the franchise.

hawkfan
05-21-2012, 04:18 PM
My take is that ownership realized what a huge mistake it was to compromise their organizational integrity just to keep DHo. So, they're cleaning house -- SVG, Otis - gone; DHo, soon to follow.

Right thing to do, in my book. Gain back control of the franchise.

Joe Johnson and Al Horford for Dwight Howard and Hedo Turkoglu.

hawkfan trade scenario = no more mr. nice girl.

RidonKs
05-21-2012, 04:27 PM
:oldlol:

Jameerthefear
05-21-2012, 04:27 PM
YES OTIS FINALLY GONE THANK THE LORD!
but stan :(

Clippersfan86
05-21-2012, 04:30 PM
YES OTIS FINALLY GONE THANK THE LORD!
but stan :(

Would he be a bad or good fit with Clippers in your opinion after years of watching him?

pegasus
05-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Stan dished out all that insider info when he was their coach, imagine what juicy stuff we'll hear from him now that he is unemployed.:banana:

Howard will continue to experience back pain, but I'm guessing this time it will be due to a stab.

ClutchOver9000
05-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Dwight celebrates the only way he knows how:

http://www.unsportsmanlike.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Dwight-Howard-Cookie-Challenge.gif

HorryIsMyMVP
05-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Why do people like SVG? He is a horrible coach. Only coach bad enough in the league to have Dwight Howard and take 40 3 pointers a game.

TheBluest
05-21-2012, 04:37 PM

"Master of Panic" would wear the current Clippers out.

therammingman
05-21-2012, 04:47 PM
as newman once said, "what took you so long?"

Jameerthefear
05-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Would he be a bad or good fit with Clippers in your opinion after years of watching him?
I don't ever think the Magic got see the whole side of Van Gundy. The way Otis built this team is with shooters and not many players that can penetrate and kick out. I think sometimes he makes really bad decisions with his rotations. But he's also a no-nonsense coach which is why he and Dwight clashed a little bit. I think the Clippers will make huge strides offensively and defensively if they were to pick him up. I mean, we defended Indiana pretty with 6'9 Glen Davis as the center.
I think Stan could make Deandre an elite defensive player tbh. It depends on if Blake CP3's attitudes to tell the truth, but I definitely KNOW they will respect him more as a coach then they do Vinny.

Clippersfan86
05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't ever think the Magic got see the whole side of Van Gundy. The way Otis built this team is with shooters and not many players that can penetrate and kick out. I think sometimes he makes really bad decisions with his rotations. But he's also a no-nonsense coach which is why he and Dwight clashed a little bit. I think the Clippers will make huge strides offensively and defensively if they were to pick him up. I mean, we defended Indiana pretty with 6'9 Glen Davis as the center.
I think Stan could make Deandre an elite defensive player tbh. It depends on if Blake CP3's attitudes to tell the truth, but I definitely KNOW they will respect him more as a coach then they do Vinny.

:applause: thanks for responding. Clippers need to dial this guy up. Tell him "Hey we understand you may need a month for a break but we would love to interview you" etc. Plant the seed.

shortsoptional
05-21-2012, 04:52 PM
:applause: thanks for responding. Clippers need to dial this guy up. Tell him "Hey we understand you may need a month for a break but we would love to interview you" etc. Plant the seed.

When would you expect the Clips to make a decision on VDN?

05-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Stan dished out all that insider info when he was their coach, imagine what juicy stuff we'll hear from him now that he is unemployed.:banana:

Howard will continue to experience back pain, but I'm guessing this time it will be due to a stab.

WHERE AMAZING HAPPENS

Clippersfan86
05-21-2012, 04:53 PM
When would you expect the Clips to make a decision on VDN?

Next week probably. They have till beginning of June or July to deal with it.

shortsoptional
05-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Next week probably. They have till beginning of June or July to deal with it.

I honestly feel like D'Antoni would be a great fit for the Clippers (as you outlined in your coach thread).

D'Antoni was a hot commodity going to NY and he walked in to a hell of a mess. He finally had a decent PG (Felton) and a PF (Amare) who knew his system and it was working great. Then they traded everyone away for a player that didn't fit.

Would like to see D'Antoni get a second another shot with the caliber PG of Paul.

Sarcastic
05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm just being controversial. I agree I want more. Sloan+PJ or bust.

Do you have to hijack every thread and turn it into a discussion about the Clippers?

There is a Clippers forum on this site, which I notice you don't rarely post on.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

chips93
05-21-2012, 05:05 PM
kinds ironic, the one good thing that otis smith has done in recent years, was being able to hold onto dwight for the extra year and a half . . . and then dwight goes and has him fired

TheBluest
05-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I honestly feel like D'Antoni would be a great fit for the Clippers (as you outlined in your coach thread).

D'Antoni was a hot commodity going to NY and he walked in to a hell of a mess. He finally had a decent PG (Felton) and a PF (Amare) who knew his system and it was working great. Then they traded everyone away for a player that didn't fit.

Would like to see D'Antoni get a second another shot with the caliber PG of Paul.

Offensively he might work only if Blake develops that jumper real consistently and he can open up the floor with Jordan(on the court). The team still needs shooter too, but the Clippers would allow 120ppg and that Fun and Gun would get worn out after midway through his second season.

The Clippers need someone like Nate McMillan(discipline more so) assuming they can't land a big fish(Sloan/Phil). But to be honest VDN is just fine if they shore up their roster shortcomings.

TheBluest
05-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Hopfeully Ryan Anderson and Jameer bolt on wishy-washy immature D-12. so he's left with Baby/Rich/J.J./Hedo.....lol

Draz
05-21-2012, 05:40 PM
The coach was good. Dwight getting what he wants, Otis was horrible.

t-rex
05-21-2012, 05:44 PM
He who laughs last....

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2012-03/68835556-15110558.jpg

Laughs best!:oldlol:

OriginalNameGuy
05-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Dwight gets his way again, but we all know this diva still won't deliver.

WeGetRing2012
05-21-2012, 06:17 PM

Stan? He would do well with the Clippers not win a championship of course.

senelcoolidge
05-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Isiah Thomas will be named the new General Manager for the Orlando Magic later this week.

GatorKid117
05-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Why do people like SVG? He is a horrible coach. Only coach bad enough in the league to have Dwight Howard and take 40 3 pointers a game.

He's most certainly not a horrible coach. When you're given a roster with nothing but 3 point shooters, your offensive philosophies become pretty straight-forward. Dwight cannot anchor an offense by himself.

kinds ironic, the one good thing that otis smith has done in recent years, was being able to hold onto dwight for the extra year and a half . . . and then dwight goes and has him fired

Dwight hated Otis. It was Alex Martins, the CEO who kept Dwight.

Anyway, its sad to see SVG go. He brought me a lot of great memories with the team. I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere else.

Otis, GTFO....

Lets bring in Brian Shaw.

longtime lurker
05-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Dwight gets his way again, but we all know this diva still won't deliver.

We all know Dwight Howard is going to leave Orlando either way so why would you fire the coach that the rest of the players loved to play for. Otis being fired was the only sensible move the guy's been below average and failed to get anything significant for Dwight.

outbreak
05-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Read a report saying Houston are preparing to offer a "lucrative" deal for Dwight even if it's only a rental, everyone on their rosters apparently open for trade and they have 2 first round picks to offer. Could be interesting.

blacknapalm
05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Read a report saying Houston are preparing to offer a "lucrative" deal for Dwight even if it's only a rental, everyone on their rosters apparently open for trade and they have 2 first round picks to offer. Could be interesting.

man, mchale really wants a big he can tutor :lol

i'm sure he's still infatuated with pau and will let that be known in the offseason as well

ShaqAttack3234
05-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Stan didn't deserve to be fired.

Otis? Absolutely. What an incompetent moron. He gives Lewis that contract, then trades back for Turkoglu's horrible contract instead of getting something of value for VC's expiring contract, or at least not having an aging player signed for years like Turk. The Arenas trade still blows my mind, they lucked out big time with that amnesty.

And why the hell did Otis re-sign J-Rich again? I was shocked when that happened, there wasn't any reason to do it.

Sometimes moves make sense at the time, but none of these ones did to me.

outbreak
05-22-2012, 01:41 AM
SVG was fired because his contract was up at the end of next season and with the way he was treated I strongly doubt he would have re signed. They just want to clean house from the disasters of this season and behind the scenes he's probably already not going to give 100% next season anyway. I wish they'd been able to resolve the issues with him and kept him on even if Dwight goes but I think I understand why they let him go too.

Sarcastic
05-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Stan didn't deserve to be fired.

Otis? Absolutely. What an incompetent moron. He gives Lewis that contract, then trades back for Turkoglu's horrible contract instead of getting something of value for VC's expiring contract, or at least not having an aging player signed for years like Turk. The Arenas trade still blows my mind, they lucked out big time with that amnesty.

And why the hell did Otis re-sign J-Rich again? I was shocked when that happened, there wasn't any reason to do it.

Sometimes moves make sense at the time, but none of these ones did to me.

Stan deserved to be fired midseason, as soon as he threw Dwight Howard under the bus. I don't care how much you want to get off your chest, or how little you care about the future. As a head coach, YOU DO NOT THROW YOUR PLAYERS UNDER THE BUS!!!

This goes for your #1 option, all the way down to the 12th man/bench warmer.

Shepseskaf
05-22-2012, 01:56 AM
If Stan had kept his mouth in check, he might have hung in there. Too much mouthiness gets the Van Gundys in trouble.

Tenchi Ryu
05-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Stan deserved to be fired midseason, as soon as he threw Dwight Howard under the bus. I don't care how much you want to get off your chest, or how little you care about the future. As a head coach, YOU DO NOT THROW YOUR PLAYERS UNDER THE BUS!!!

Don't care about that rule cause Howard absolutely deserved it. Was a scumbag the entire season, and I'd be pissed too if Howard was snaking behind my back as well. Put that fukker on blast.

Sarcastic
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Don't care about that rule cause Howard absolutely deserved it. Was a scumbag the entire season, and I'd be pissed too if Howard was snaking behind my back as well. Put that fukker on blast.

He didn't snake behind his back. Ownership did. They are the ones that approached Dwight about firing SVG.

Tenchi Ryu
05-22-2012, 02:05 AM
He didn't snake behind his back. Ownership did. They are the ones that approached Dwight about firing SVG.
Howard was a snake because he knew damn well what the plan was, and smiled and grinned in SVG's face like he didn't want him gone. That awkward moment of the season where D12 put his arm on his shoulder with SVG looking like GTFO me told the entire story.

Sarcastic
05-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Howard was a snake because he knew damn well what the plan was, and smiled and grinned in SVG's face like he didn't want him gone. That awkward moment of the season where D12 put his arm on his shoulder with SVG looking like GTFO me told the entire story.

That was right after SVG threw him under the bus. It's the coach's job to be the more mature person, and keep the ship steady. He shouldn't be the one catching feelings, and decide to spill the beans.

One guy is 40-50years old. The other is 25. The older one acted like the child.

ShaqAttack3234
05-22-2012, 03:37 AM

I agree that it was unprofessional, but for the organization. Not Dwight Howard. Give me a ****ing break, Dwight deserved to be thrown under the bus if he's pulling that shit behind closed doors, which affects Stan's future, and is not Howard's job.

That's the only thing I'll concede, that it put the organization in an even worse position. Dwight deserved the public embarrassment when he was pulling that shit. And I'm a fan of Dwight.

The coach is supposed to be the boss, I know we're a long way removed from that era, and very few have that status, but Dwight flat out stabbed his coach in the back.

I<3NBA
05-22-2012, 03:47 AM
firing Otis comes too late. dude has completely destroyed your franchise. you would've thought after Rashard someone would think this guy is a moron. then after not re-siging Turkoglu and losing VC's expirer for nothing, you would've thought he really would be fired. but noooo. he was allowed to re-sign Turkoglu after Turkododo showed signs he was not the same player anymore and incapacitated the cap space by signing Arenas. after that, you thought he was really finally gone.

whom do you think destroyed a franchise more? Isiah Thomas or Otis Smith?

if i was Magic owner, i'd be gunning for Larry Bird.

therammingman
05-22-2012, 04:06 AM
i'm sure stan doesn't give a shit....doesn't sound like it was a fun situation to coach.

blacknapalm
05-22-2012, 04:10 AM
i'm sure stan doesn't give a shit....doesn't sound like it was a fun situation to coach.

not at all. the feeling was probably mutual. just a toxic environment.

SVG is a good x's and o's guy. he's also brutally honest and blunt. that's the old school side of him. he's not going to coddle you so as long as he goes to a team where players don't mind accountability, he'll be fine

Ai2death
05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Miami Heat should sign SVG. He'd put wade and Lebrons ass in gear = instant championships

Shepseskaf
05-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Miami Heat should sign SVG. He'd put wade and Lebrons ass in gear = instant championships
Are you kidding? :oldlol: The "Master of Panic" in Miami? A match made in Heaven.... NOT!!

Newsflash: SVG coached in Miami and got fired....err.... wanted to spend more time with his family back in 2006.

Derka
05-22-2012, 08:11 AM
SVG was asking to get fired, especially after that whole "Dwight wants me gone" thing. Orlando and Dwight deny it up and down, but whatever. He's a good coach and he won't stay unemployed for long.

Otis...dude shouldn't be GMing anywhere. How you take a team that made the Finals in 2009 and just destroy the living shit out of it is beyond me.

NumberSix
05-22-2012, 09:36 AM
You new to basketball?

Zackmorris
05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
After all this, Dwight still wants to be traded :lol :lol

Whoah10115
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Lets bring in Brian Shaw.

I was actually thinking about this. I think the triangle could really work for them.