PDA

View Full Version : mike woodson to get new contract this week

Knicksfever2010
05-22-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/woody_new_pact_close_blSGALwfrcGwOcLiGwGOnK

sbw19
05-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Woodsanity continues! :bowdown:

Knicksfever2010
05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
wow talk about not having a pulse on this team or management. I was CONVINCED the knicks were going to go HARD for jax.

DStebb716
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I think this is an absolute mistake. Woodson is not a championship coach, and you can't waste time on a chump coach. You've got about a three-year window. They needed to at least do their job and attempt to bring in some other guys first. Pathetic.

Zackmorris
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm still iffy about Woodson. I would be fine with Woodson if they explored their options more but they didn't even give Phil a call.

Scoooter
05-22-2012, 02:41 PM
LOL Knicks.

boozehound
05-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I think its a decent rehire. But I am not sure why they want to lock him up so quickly. Are other teams looking at him? Why not wait a month and see if jackson is serious about coming back?

Shepseskaf
05-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I think this is an absolute mistake. Woodson is not a championship coach, and you can't waste time on a chump coach. You've got about a three-year window. They needed to at least do their job and attempt to bring in some other guys first. Pathetic.
:facepalm

You deserve to get flamed, because what you've said is pure stupidity.

First of all, championship coaches have to develop over time. If you limit your search to only include those who have won a title, you're looking at a very small sample size.

Doc Rivers was viewed as a coaching failure in 2003 after the Magic got off to a 1-10 start, and was fired. We all know what he did later with the Celtics. If he hadn't been allowed time to develop, nobody would know he was capable of.

The main point is that you need fresh blood into the coaching ranks. One of the reasons that the NFL is so stagnant in both offensive and defensive playcalling is because they keep on recycling the same names, over and over and over.

Woodson has shown great development as a coach. Witness his record improving each and every year at the helm of the Hawks. After he took over from Pringles, the team went 18-6 (.750).

So, he absolutely deserves a few seasons to show what he can do. At this point, its impossible to say that he won't develop into a championship-level coach. Its the right move to give him a shot, and preserve some stability within the franchise.

Draz
05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
good rehire. at least show interest in jax first but .. its cool

Shepseskaf
05-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Living coaches who have won championships:

PJax - very expensive, and may not be motivated. Health issues.
Doc Rivers - not going anywhere in the near future.
Pop - not going anywhere.
Larry Brown - do you really want to deal with this mess?
Rick Carlisle - not going anywhere soon.
Pat Riley - coaching days are done.
Tom Heinsohn - done.
K.C. Jones - done.
Bill Russell - done.
Rudy Tomjanovich - done.
Al Attles - done.
Billy Cunningham - done.
Bill Fitch - done.
Dick Motta - done.
Jack Ramsay - done.
Paul Westhead - done.
Lenny Wilkens - done.

ShaqAttack3234
05-22-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm unsure about him as an offensive coach, and I think that hurts in the playoffs, and I'm beginning to view these good defensive coaches who are mediocre offensively as a dime a dozen(Jeff Van Gundy, Spoelstra, Mike Brown).

But he did earn it with his record taking over during midseason, and he was clearly a reason for their greatly improved defense. I do like him holding his star accountable, and he was in a tough situation with Miami as the 1st round opponent and so many injuries.

I'd feel better if I knew for sure that Phil wouldn't take the job. My thought was that if Phil was unavailable, give it to Woodson. But Phil is the greatest coach of my lifetime, imo, rivaled by only Pop. And I did want to see Shumpert, Fields and Melo in the triangle.

DStebb716
05-22-2012, 06:15 PM
:facepalm

You deserve to get flamed, because what you've said is pure stupidity.

First of all, championship coaches have to develop over time. If you limit your search to only include those who have won a title, you're looking at a very small sample size.

Doc Rivers was viewed as a coaching failure in 2003 after the Magic got off to a 1-10 start, and was fired. We all know what he did later with the Celtics. If he hadn't been allowed time to develop, nobody would know he was capable of.

The main point is that you need fresh blood into the coaching ranks. One of the reasons that the NFL is so stagnant in both offensive and defensive playcalling is because they keep on recycling the same names, over and over and over.

Woodson has shown great development as a coach. Witness his record improving each and every year at the helm of the Hawks. After he took over from Pringles, the team went 18-6 (.750).

So, he absolutely deserves a few seasons to show what he can do. At this point, its impossible to say that he won't develop into a championship-level coach. Its the right move to give him a shot, and preserve some stability within the franchise.

Read the post. We don't have a "few years" to see if just maybe the guy can come from being a non-impact coach to a title-winning coach.

bagelred
05-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Awful. What a disaster. Once again, Knicks are back to making decisions based on wrong criteria. A year from now, Knicks fans will want Woodson far gone.

Knicks had choice of anyone they wanted....Jackson, SVG, Sloan, etc....and they choose Woodson? A guy who thought giving 35 minutes a night to JR Smith is a good idea? And hates Landry Fields?

What a disaster........back to Dolanmania.

DTreats
05-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Not a good re-hire.

Knicks need a big time coach that demands respect from their childish superstars.

knickballer
05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
I actually think it's a good rehire. Knicks are usually impatient and always want the big name coach and it has failed miserably for them.. Mike Dantoni, Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas(not a big time coach but individual), Wilkens(actually was decent for us), etc... I don't think Phil would fare any better than Larry Brown

That being said I would have wanted them to make a move for Van Gundy but Woodson is fine.

DStebb716
05-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Not a good re-hire.

Knicks need a big time coach that demands respect from their childish superstars.

We have a touchdown.

ClutchOver9000
05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
cant say im surprised.

Shepseskaf
05-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Awful. What a disaster. Once again, Knicks are back to making decisions based on wrong criteria. A year from now, Knicks fans will want Woodson far gone.
You know what? I don't think so. I think that Woodson builds on this year's success, and that the team will have a better regular season and playoff record next year.

With the long line of Knicks coaching disasters, its the right move to create stability and reward someone for doing a good job -- not hire a rent-a-coach for $10+ million per year.

Knicks had choice of anyone they wanted....Jackson, SVG, Sloan, etc....and they choose Woodson? A guy who thought giving 35 minutes a night to JR Smith is a good idea? And hates Landry Fields?
This is a flat-out lie, and a blatant overstatement of the Knicks options. Fields is straight-up garbage. Why are you so outraged about a better player getting more minutes?

As for your choices:

PJax -- old, and in bad health, and his motivation is questionable. Why pay so much money for a coach who won't be around for more than a year, or two?

SVG -- this is just stupid. Van Gundy is a drama queen, and would not work with this roster -- or any, in my view. I have no idea why people have forgotten the crap he's pulled with the Magic, or why they're overrating him.

Sloan -- his time has past, and he just needs to retire. His style is not going to work in today's NBA.

What a disaster........back to Dolanmania.
I don't like Dolan, but he made a solid decision here.

Shepseskaf
05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Not a good re-hire.

Did you watch any Knicks games at all? The players obviously like and respect Woodson.

coin24
05-23-2012, 01:16 AM
I think its a decent signing:applause: With a few more pieces and some time together the knicks should be better next season..

The players seem to listen to Woodson also.

Fields? He sucks, why would you hate a coach for playing JR over Fields:confusedshrug:

And have to agree, SVG? Sloan? Bad choices.... PJax would have been great, but not for $10m and I doubt he would have been interested anyways tbh.

Akrazotile
04-25-2014, 10:22 AM
You know what? I don't think so. I think that Woodson builds on this year's success, and that the team will have a better regular season and playoff record next year.

With the long line of Knicks coaching disasters, its the right move to create stability and reward someone for doing a good job -- not hire a rent-a-coach for $10+ million per year.

This is a flat-out lie, and a blatant overstatement of the Knicks options. Fields is straight-up garbage. Why are you so outraged about a better player getting more minutes?

As for your choices:

PJax -- old, and in bad health, and his motivation is questionable. Why pay so much money for a coach who won't be around for more than a year, or two?

SVG -- this is just stupid. Van Gundy is a drama queen, and would not work with this roster -- or any, in my view. I have no idea why people have forgotten the crap he's pulled with the Magic, or why they're overrating him.

Sloan -- his time has past, and he just needs to retire. His style is not going to work in today's NBA.

I don't like Dolan, but he made a solid decision here.

:roll:

JUDGE WITNESS
04-25-2014, 10:26 AM
woodson or no woodson, knicks are garbage regardless