PDA

View Full Version : Parker says Westbrook hasn't faced PG like him yet

Matty2Cool
05-23-2012, 06:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/parker-says-westbrook-hasnt-faced-202710696--nba.html;_ylt=Amxj4RQWrpXdkvZwjVOihSa8vLYF

SAN ANTONIO (AP) Tony Parker says Russell Westbrook hasn't faced another point guard in these playoffs quite like him.

The marquee matchup of the Western Conference finals will be the dueling All-Stars. Parker said Wednesday that his Oklahoma City counterpart is in for something different than what the Thunder saw the first two rounds.

Parker said ''it's not going to be like Dallas or the Lakers'' for Westbrook, adding that their point guards are ''not as aggressive'' as the Spurs' leading scorer. Parker is averaging 19.1 points and a career-best 7.1 assists through eight consecutive playoff wins.

Westbrook is 23, an age when Parker had already won two NBA titles. The 30-year-old Parker is in position to make the up-and-coming Thunder go through him to get a shot at a championship.

Sunday can't get here soon enough

Punpun
05-23-2012, 06:09 PM
That's not talking shit tough. Parker will be the first real elite PG westbrook will face.

Fudge
05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
He's right though. Parker's gonna get in his head just like what CP3 did to him in the regular season. Can't wait for this matchup. :applause:

EnoughSaid
05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Seriously. Let's look at the past few years.

Derek Fisher
Ty Lawson
Jason Kidd
Ramon Sessions / Steve Blake

:wtf:

DuMa
05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Russ isnt great on defense yet but he does have the tools to become an elite defender. I can see him being very pesky on defense if he knew how to apply his skills and length. In college, he was a great ball hawk and 1 on 1 defender but that was a different boy's league

i agree with TP however. its not like Russ is goign to grow light years in defense in this series. TP is also gonna have his hands full with Russ too. its not like he doesnt have the size and speed matchup on his side.

Haymaker
05-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Westbrook will be raining that jumper over Parker so easily.

Matty2Cool
05-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Seriously. Let's look at the past few years.

Derek Fisher
Ty Lawson
Jason Kidd
Ramon Sessions / Steve Blake

:wtf:

:roll:

Cali Syndicate
05-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes! This is what i like to hear.

icewill36
05-23-2012, 07:38 PM
and who did parker face ? shell of his former self devin harris and a gimpy cp3

this is clearly bait to try and get westbrook to make it personal instead of getting others involved. the spurs know thats when the thunder are at their best. hope he doesnt fall for it

Godzuki
05-23-2012, 07:41 PM
parker's scrappy. just not sure how long his scrawny body is going to hold up. i still see Westbrook winning this battle tho.

IGOTGAME
05-23-2012, 07:45 PM
and who did parker face ? shell of his former self devin harris and a gimpy cp3

this is clearly bait to try and get westbrook to make it personal instead of getting others involved. the spurs know thats when the thunder are at their best. hope he doesnt fall for it

was cp3 really that gimpy though. looked fine to me.

westbrook is gonna have a really bad series.

Big#50
05-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I just hope TP doesn't take more than 18 shots a game. He needs to pass the ball. He's fast and can make a team pay for mistake. But when he is just attacking and taking ugly shots the Spurs are just standing around. This team wins by everyone hitting shots. TP has the PNR working with Splitter. They need to run that shit all day.

Velocirap31
05-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Parker also hasn't faced a point guard like Westbrook, a guy who is far bigger, stronger, faster, and better than he is. Good luck there Parker.

imdaman99
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Parker also hasn't faced a point guard like Westbrook, a guy who is far bigger, stronger, faster, and better than he is. Good luck there Parker.
This.

Parker hasnt faced someone with the speed of westbrook. Team defense forced the ball out of CP3's hands

TMT
05-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Let's not get carried away. These guys are playing at an equal level this year and TP just turned 30. Just because Tony plays primarily under the rim doesn't mean he's any less explosive than Russell is. Both guys will equally be problems for one another.

Also let's not forget Tony lit up Westbrook with 42 and 9 earlier this season too. Shocking how fast people forget.

Big#50
05-23-2012, 09:22 PM
You guys do know they both had monster games against each other in the regular season, right? Parker had a 42 point game. Westbrook had a 36 point game. Parker had like 26 and 9 in that big game as well. Thunder is going to have to pack the paint to stop Parker. I don't see how they will when Diaw and Bonner play in the perimeter.

Velocirap31
Let's not get carried away. These guys are playing at an equal level this year and TP just turned 30. Just because Tony plays primarily under the rim doesn't mean he's any less explosive than Russell is. Both guys will equally be problems for one another.

Also let's not forget Tony lit up Westbrook with 42 and 9 earlier this season too. Shocking how fast people forget.

Not really getting carried away at all. Westbrook is immensely more athletic than Parker and guarding him will be very difficult for Parker to do. Guys like Westbrook and Rose are athletic freaks and every other point guard doesn't come close to their athleticism.

maybeshewill13
What's funny is what Parker said can be turned around the other way. He hasn't faced anyone like Westbrook these playoffs. Parker's defense isn't anything to write home about. Westbrook should be a little too strong for Parker.. though Parker has the experience advantage.

It will be an awesome match-up, and one that may determine the series.

SacJB Shady
05-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Yes. Parker at full speed is just as hard to guard as russell, except he's even more crafty

SacJB Shady
05-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Not really getting carried away at all. Westbrook is immensely more athletic than Parker and guarding him will be very difficult for Parker to do. Guys like Westbrook and Rose are athletic freaks and every other point guard doesn't come close to their athleticism.

Parker is just as quick as westbrook in the half court. this is tony parker were talking here.

TMT
05-23-2012, 09:37 PM

You act as if TP has lost all athleticism, have you not been watching him tear up Utah and Lob City? There isn't as big a gap in their athletic ability as your making it seem. I wouldn't put Westbrook in the Rose-dominant category just yet. Like I've said in previous threads, Lebron and Rose are the only two players who this season were able to single-handedly tear apart the Spurs defense. Anyone else we've been able to hold our own against (the only other arguable one is Bynum).

Parker's defense this postseason has also been very under appreciated. People in this thread saying it hasn't been Parker's defense but team defense? According to most before the postseason we weren't even that good of a defensive squad and that was supposedly going to be our downfall. If you don't think his defense has been stellar, rewatch the games. He clearly has a scouting report of each player's sweet spots and defends accordingly. In the Clippers series he was a step ahead of CP3 most of the time, Tony knew where Chris was going before he did.

Westbrook isn't exactly Gary Payton defensively either. :confusedshrug:

ClutchOver9000
05-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Parker is soooo underrated its not even funny.

I agree Westbrook is the better player but IMO its not by much at all...ppl making it sound like its no contest.

Westbrook has the athletic edge overall but Parker is just as quick, even craftier like another poster mentioned, and can wreak havoc on interior defenses just like his OKC counterpart can.

Both guys have takeover ability.

The biggest edge Westbrook has over Parker is his size/frame.

westsideozzie
05-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Tony Parker is a better basketball player than Westbrook. He has a better handle, is more deft with the rock, and is has a finals MVP. Dude has been a pro since he was 16. Parker is very athletic and leads guards with points in the paint. He's going to kill Westbrook.

All Net
05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Parker hasn't faced a player like Westbrook either...completely different to an injured Paul.

k-vil
05-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Imo, they both play the same style and it just so happened that the other guy is bigger, stronger and more athletic.

They are both quick with the ball and mostly they get their points from inside (so be it a fastbreak or penetration). If Westbrook can consistently hit that outside shot he will have an easy time taking jumpshot over Parker.

IGOTGAME
05-24-2012, 01:49 AM
This.

Parker hasnt faced someone with the speed of westbrook. Team defense forced the ball out of CP3's hands
Same thing is gonna happen this series. Expect lots of turnovers

bdreason
05-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Parker is going to put a lot of pressure on Westbrook to defend. Gonna be a good matchup.

SacJB Shady
05-24-2012, 02:41 AM
LoL once upon a time Parker led the league points in the paint. Parker was still an all star this year and the spurs had the best record without timmy making the all star game. Sure, Parker isn't as explosive as Westbrook is, but believe me he can use his speed just as good or better in traffic. He is much craftier and just as quick. Westbrook just creates the illusion that his speed helps him so much when he makes some sick dunks on a fast break. But if TP is so washed up, how did he score 40 plus points on OKC? I wouldn't count out Parker. Either way, Spurs are going all the way and that is the bottom line. And TP will be the mvp. TP has the more functional speed. He is able to cut and turn perfectly and use it to score at will consistently. Winning is what the spurs will end up with.

imdaman99
05-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Same thing is gonna happen this series. Expect lots of turnovers
westbrook is prob like #10 on the thunder in turnovers. to say he has cut down on them in the playoffs is an understatement.

since when did the spurs become a defensive juggernaut? i guess they were #1 in defense throughout the season :facepalm

toxicxr6
05-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Why do people say Parker can't defend?

I read an article close to the end of the season that said when tony Parker and Tim Duncan are on the floor together they had the 4th best defense of any combination of 2 players in the league.
Wish I could find the article now. Spurs defense is still elite it just gets washed out in stats when the blow teams out an bring 2nd or 3rd units on.. And rest players.

SunsCaptain
05-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Why do people say Parker can't defend?

I bet its like Steve Nash....

When there is absolutely no downside to a player and everything they do is amazing people look to tear them down for somthing that can be considered somewhat subjective.

Steve Nash is pretty good on defense...But because when its time to argue between steve nash and player X the only thing they their brain thinks of is, "If I say his defensive isnt great there isnt much stats that say it is".

Tony Parker is in the same boat.

People under estimate players that feed their team...and feed off their team.

Pacquiao
05-24-2012, 03:38 AM
After Parker dominates Westbrook

Excuses - Popovich ->> Brooks

iDefend5
05-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Parker is going to shove his french **** up Westbricks inferior little black ass. Guy is a ****ing retard and we all know that between Westbrick shooting ill advised shots and Durant choking like he does every year vs a real team that the superior San Antonio spurs will prevail.

chazzy
05-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Parker is going to shove his french **** up Westbricks inferior little black ass. Guy is a ****ing retard and we all know that between Westbrick shooting ill advised shots and Durant choking like he does every year vs a real team that the superior San Antonio spurs will prevail.
stateofabipolarmind12

RRR3
05-24-2012, 04:00 AM
stateofabipolarmind12
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

thelucifer69
05-24-2012, 04:39 AM
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg569/luxife69/ParkerVsWestbrook.png

LosBulls
05-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Russ isnt great on defense yet but he does have the tools to become an elite defender. I can see him being very pesky on defense if he knew how to apply his skills and length. In college, he was a great ball hawk and 1 on 1 defender but that was a different boy's league

I swear I saw the exact same thing said about Rose a while back.

amfirst
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
TP runs through multiple screens no one will be able to guard that it a team game.

amfirst
05-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Doesn't matter it's team defense not individual. Spurs defense is superior to Lakers lazy defense. This will be a big wake up for Thunders to play against a team that actually cares about defense.

IGOTGAME
05-30-2012, 01:42 AM
parker warned him.

icewill36
05-30-2012, 01:46 AM
TP runs through multiple screens no one will be able to guard that it a team game.

exactly. russ isnt being burned one on one hes picked every time

Clippersfan86
05-30-2012, 01:47 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-e2UhUbv1xLU/TlfnyEe1iVI/AAAAAAAAqzw/YQYrrnfuT9s/s800/Don%2527t%2BCry%2BBaby%2B%25286%2529.jpg

TMT
05-30-2012, 01:52 AM

So, just because Parker isn't taking him one on one every time means Westbrook isn't getting schooled? :rolleyes: :facepalm

icewill36
05-30-2012, 01:53 AM
So, just because Parker isn't taking him one on one every time means Westbrook isn't getting schooled? :rolleyes: :facepalm

does no one here understand defense is a team concept ?

Clippersfan86
05-30-2012, 01:55 AM
does no one here understand defense is a team concept ?

http://cutebabypictures.org/d/954-1/cute+crying+black+baby+boy+pic.jpg

tpols
05-30-2012, 01:58 AM
One things for sure though.. Westbrooks putting up a hell of a better fight than Chris Paul did:lol

Clippersfan86
05-30-2012, 02:00 AM
One things for sure though.. Westbrooks putting up a hell of a better fight than Chris Paul did:lol

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-TB028_052212_G_20120522083056.jpg

bizil
05-30-2012, 03:31 AM
I agree with Tony! The reason why is because Westbrook HASN'T faced a PG that is more of scoring PG like Tony. Don't get me wrong, I prefer my PG's to be like CP3 or DWill. Because those two are pass first PG's who are alpha dog material. They give u the best of both worlds. Guys like Tony, Rose, and Westbrook are alpha dog material, but arent the floor generals like CP3 or D Will along with it.

So Westbrook is facing a guy more similar to himself as opposed to CP3. Something that Westbrook hasn't seen yet. Rose, Tony, and Westbrook are the three premier scoring style PG's in the L. CP3 and D Will are the best of both worlds style. A guy like Rondo is textbook pass first floor general style PG who isn't an alpha dog type like the other guys.