PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Drexler: Is he deliberately "underrated" & "underappreciated" all-time great ?

gengiskhan
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Fact # 1: Clyde is voted Top 50 GOATs in 1997. Over Dominique (an all-time great). Critics have questioned Pippen being in Top 50 list over 'Nique but never Clyde. A legit solid Top 50 Picks over Pippen & 'Nique.

Fact # 2: Clyde a taller, stronger, bigger 6'7" version of michael Jordan. His stamina, strength was superior to Kobe & Wade. He always attacked the rim like Wade but never ended up on the ground in awkward position like Wade does frequently on the floor. Always landed on his feet in physical Defensive era of '80s & '90s. You'll see Kobe fatigued, Wade gassed out but Clyde was like a machine incredible endurance. I've never seen him gassed

Fact # 3: Clyde's prime peak is similar to Wade stat wise. But Clyde rarely missed seasons or tons of reg sea games due to injury or fitness issues like Wade frequently did in his peak prime years. 6 seasons of 80+ games. almost every year going deep into playoffs in his peak.

Fact # 4: Clyde was a lone warrior is still is the face of the Portland franchise. A successful perimeter player who made it to NBA finals 2x without any legit HOF'er or even a consistant all-star starter in Blazer line up.

Fact # 5: A true gentleman of the game, Clyde never asked for another all-star starter or HOF'er in his line up. Case can be made for clyde to be replaced with Kobe because of 5 rings & FMVPs in Top 50 list. But Wade? Is wade really even as great as Clyde was.

Why is Wade considered better than Clyde?

Just cuz of 1 FMVP & 1 ring in pi$$ poor era.

Can Wade ever take MIA to NBA Finals without first ballot HOF'er or even a legit all-star first teamer like Clyde did it twice?

Wade would've never been considered 2nd best SG in Jordan era if he played then just because of missed injury seasons & tons of games!

Clyde was considered the 2nd best SG next to MJ in Jordan Era

Hell, He was considered as good as MJ in 1992 coming up as runner-up MVP!

When was wade a real solid runner-up MVP?

Clippersfan86
05-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Underrated and amazing yes. Probably most underrated superstar in NBA history and all because of the Michael Jordan hype. People don't understand how close the two players were talent wise at different points.

DTreats
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Kobe and Wade shit on his Drex. Next.

Tarik One
05-24-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't think he's underrated at all. He's often mentioned along with the other greats. Is he top tier? No, but he is recognized

gengiskhan
05-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Kobe is modern day Clyde on NBA's winningest franchise.

Clyde was great at penetrating & driving to basket. No post up game.

Kobe has decent post up game but cannot drive & penetrate to the basket.

Kobe = clyde of the '00 era.

Clyde >> Wade easily. Its not even an argument.

gengiskhan
05-24-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't think he's underrated at all. He's often mentioned along with the other greats. Is he top tier? No, but he is recognized

To me.

Clyde is in the tier of Ewing.

Both faces of the franchise without winning the ring.

Both made to NBA Finals twice without real great of HOF'er in their line up.

Imagine both had Kobe like help with tons of all-stars & a first ballot HOF'er team mate

how many rings they could've won!

Batz
05-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Quality of posts...

Drexler is amazing. Highly underrated. I rank Wade above (or side-by-side. I never really go in-depth with the rankings anyway) just because of what I see. Wade's peak was just ridiculous, backed up by his incredible finals performance. One of the best we've ever seen.

Individually, Wade brings more to the table. Better in almost every category. He does almost everything better except rebounding and longetivity really. I'd reach for on-ball defense aswell, Drexler could handle his own on occasion, definitely more consistent than Wade. No injuries to Wade and we wouldn't have this discussion really.

I see why the argument though. Drexler is often overlooked. Hell, I've seen rankings where people don't even mention him. I remeber once seeing a ranking where a guy took off Drexler entirely purely because of the reason that, and I paraphrase when I type "He just didn't suck MJs dick well enough." :facepalm

Fact # 5: A true gentleman of the game, Clyde never asked for another all-star starter or HOF'er in his line up. Case can be made for clyde to be replaced with Kobe because of 5 rings & FMVPs in Top 50 list. But Wade? Is wade really even as great as Clyde was.
?[/SIZE]
You still find a way to slip in Kobe... :roll:

TheMarkMadsen
05-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Quality of posts...

Drexler is amazing. Highly underrated. I rank Wade above (or side-by-side. I never really go in-depth with the rankings anyway) just because of what I see. Wade's peak was just ridiculous, backed up by his incredible finals performance. One of the best we've ever seen.

Individually, Wade brings more to the table. Better in almost every category. He does almost everything better except rebounding and longetivity really. I'd reach for on-ball defense aswell, Drexler could handle his own on occasion, definitely more consistent than Wade. No injuries to Wade and we wouldn't have this discussion really.

I see why the argument though. Drexler is often overlooked. Hell, I've seen rankings where people don't even mention him. I remeber once seeing a ranking where a guy took off Drexler entirely purely because of the reason that, and I paraphrase when I type "He just didn't suck MJs dick well enough." :facepalm

You still find a way to slip in Kobe... :roll:

Don't you see? This entire thread is just another in his long line of anti kobe threads. This one being a little more subtle than others..

Batz
05-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't you see? This entire thread is just another in his long line of anti kobe threads. This one being a little more subtle than others..
Yeah I report him everytime. Each and every post I'm more convinced this guy is a mod trolling us. You can't allow such a terrible poster like this to go on for so long.

Legends66NBA7
05-24-2012, 08:03 PM
I would have loved to see the numbers Drexler would be putting up today.

Drexler vs Kobe vs Wade vs Iverson vs Gervin

I always feel as players... seeing them in the perimeter friendly era today, they would all be killing it in their primes.

As careers, Drexler does fall short in the achievements department and his numbers were down since his 1992 season... which is why I can see the case for the other 4 player I mentioned over them in that aspect, obviously.

AngelEyes
05-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Underrated and amazing yes. Probably most underrated superstar in NBA history and all because of the Michael Jordan hype. People don't understand how close the two players were talent wise at different points.

They weren't that close. Jordan was significantly better defensively and scoring wise. Jordan was a far greater closer, Drexler many times deferring to the likes of Terry Porter at the end of games. They're comparable passers, both exceptional at their position, but Jordan proved more as a passer when he moved to the point guard position and dominated, turning the Bulls' season around in 1989, also putting on a passing clinic in the 1991 NBA finals. Drexler also relied far too much on jump shooting at times and would take many questionable shots, Jordan's decision making was far better. To the obvious, Jordan had far greater longevity, Drexler was never the same dominant player after 1992, one of his finest years and the season in which he turned 30. He also took longer to develop into a dominant player. Drexler, while obviously great and perhaps underrated was never very close to Michael Jordan.

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2012, 08:11 PM
I would have loved to see the numbers Drexler would be putting up today.

Drexler vs Kobe vs Wade vs Iverson vs Gervin

I always feel as players... seeing them in the perimeter friendly era today, they would all be killing it in their primes.

As careers, Drexler does fall short in the achievements department and his numbers were down since his 1992 season... which is why I can see the case for the other 4 player I mentioned over them in that aspect, obviously.

Can't see AI even being in a conversation with those guys.

Batz
05-24-2012, 08:12 PM
He gets a sympathy vote for whatever reason.

Calabis
05-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Kobe is better player than Clyde......Wade, who is one of my favorite players, may have a slight edge....just hard to compare, due to the era and type of rules they play in/under...

Legends66NBA7
05-24-2012, 08:25 PM

Career and player wise ? We have to disagree.

Plus, I mentioned what each player would do in their primes during this era.

Iverson at age 30 was putting up his career high in ppg and overall statline of:

33/7/3/2 on 45/32/81

I can definitely see him in the conversation.. his numbers would be vastly different during this era. I can see him dropping 35+ a game on respective efficiency also.

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Career and player wise ? We have to disagree.

Plus, I mentioned what each player would do in their primes during this era.

Iverson at age 30 was putting up his career high in ppg and overall statline of:

33/7/3/2 on 45/32/81

I can definitely see him in the conversation.. his numbers would be vastly different during this era. I can see him dropping 35+ a game on respective efficiency also.

Ai would and did benefit from today's no hand checking. He'd still be playing one on 5 and throwing up tons of bad shots.

Yao Ming's Foot
05-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Clyde Drexler

1987-88 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
1989-90 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
1990-91 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
1991-92 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1994-95 NBA All-NBA (3rd)

Kobe Bryant

1998-99 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
1999-00 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1999-00 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
2000-01 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2000-01 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
2001-02 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2001-02 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2002-03 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2002-03 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2003-04 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2003-04 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2004-05 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
2005-06 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2005-06 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2006-07 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2006-07 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2007-08 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2007-08 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2008-09 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2008-09 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2009-10 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2009-10 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2010-11 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2010-11 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2011-12 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2011-12 NBA All-NBA (1st)

SlayerEnraged
05-24-2012, 10:02 PM
It's only Jordan Homers and old timers that prop up CLYDE past what he ACTUALLY is. Not all of them but the ones that do overrate him are ALWAYS in that category and I wonder why....... :rolleyes:

ShaqAttack3234
05-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Clyde isn't underrated, and he was clearly not the player Kobe or Wade are/were. Very good player, terrific finisher, one of the best open court players, an excellent post up guard, nice spin move and about as good as they come at his position as a passer and rebounder(particularly offensive rebounder).

But his weakness was creating off the dribble in the half court, he was far behind Kobe, Wade and other elite scorers in this area, and he benefited quite a bit from playing on a running team in a running era. Wouldn't call him a great defender either other than playing the pass lanes, he was pretty much average. And he wasn't a great shooter either, capable, but not great.

And did I really just see the OP act like Clyde didn't have a ton of help in Portland? The early 90's Blazers were considered by many to be the most talented team in the league. They were loaded, Clyde had a ton of help. And Terry Porter was the guy taking and making many of the big shots as well as players athletes like Kersey, defenders like Buck Williams and Cliff Robinson and one of the more skilled centers Kevin Duckworth, as well as Danny Ainge, a proven shooter.

And after their run from '90-'92, the Blazers remained talented in '93 and '94, but underachieved.

If there's one thing you can't say it's that Clyde didn't have enough help.

bwink23
05-24-2012, 10:41 PM
It's only Jordan Homers and old timers that prop up CLYDE past what he ACTUALLY is. Not all of them but the ones that do overrate him are ALWAYS in that category and I wonder why....... :rolleyes:

You have not seen ONE FULL GAME of Clyde Drexler. Your opinion is null and void.

Batz
05-24-2012, 10:41 PM
He's just trying to say that Clyde didn't have first ballot HOFers in his prime like Kobe had Shaq (Gasol apparently too), and how Wade has had Shaq and Lebron.

ShaqAttack3234
05-24-2012, 11:07 PM
He's just trying to say that Clyde didn't have first ballot HOFers in his prime like Kobe had Shaq (Gasol apparently too), and how Wade has had Shaq and Lebron.

Yeah, and he's clearly mentioning that to act like he wasn't as fortunate as other players which isn't the case. Drexler did also play with peak Hakeem in '95 when Clyde was playing at a level close to his prime level(had a few 40+ games after the trade including one in the playoffs), and a late prime Hakeem in '96. Plus the big 3 with Hakeem and Barkley in '97. By '97, none were in their prime, but all were still all-star caliber players, and Shaq wasn't in his prime by the time Wade played with him anyway.

But the original point is Drexler not having the hall of famer on the Portland teams is trivial at best since he had a ton of help regardless.

gengiskhan
05-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Clyde isn't underrated, and he was clearly not the player Kobe or Wade are/were. Very good player, terrific finisher, one of the best open court players, an excellent post up guard, nice spin move and about as good as they come at his position as a passer and rebounder(particularly offensive rebounder).

But his weakness was creating off the dribble in the half court, he was far behind Kobe, Wade and other elite scorers in this area, and he benefited quite a bit from playing on a running team in a running era. Wouldn't call him a great defender either other than playing the pass lanes, he was pretty much average. And he wasn't a great shooter either, capable, but not great.

And did I really just see the OP act like Clyde didn't have a ton of help in Portland? The early 90's Blazers were considered by many to be the most talented team in the league. They were loaded, Clyde had a ton of help. And Terry Porter was the guy taking and making many of the big shots as well as players athletes like Kersey, defenders like Buck Williams and Cliff Robinson and one of the more skilled centers Kevin Duckworth, as well as Danny Ainge, a proven shooter.

And after their run from '90-'92, the Blazers remained talented in '93 and '94, but underachieved.

Even the old timers make some really funny posts after all.

seriously ?1?!

Drexler had help in Portland :lol

Terry Porter made to all-star line up 2 times.

thats correct 2 times.

How many times Pippen, Penny, Shaq made to all-star line up?

Drexler had help but not real solid support. Lets not get too funny now.:facepalm

ShaqAttack3234
05-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Even the old timers make some really funny posts after all.

seriously ?1?!

Drexler had help in Portland :lol

Terry Porter made to all-star line up 2 times.

thats correct 2 times.

How many times Pippen, Penny, Shaq made to all-star line up?

Drexler had help but not real solid support. Lets not get too funny now.:facepalm

Don't insult my intelligence with this revisionist history. The Blazers were loaded and favored to beat a talented '91 Laker team with Magic. Solid support? If that's solid support then great support must be very scary.

Are you really so stupid that you can only compare a player's help by comparing their single best teammates? It goes well beyond that, especially with a team that had as many quality players as those Blazer teams did.

LAClipsFan33
05-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Don't insult my intelligence with this revisionist history. The Blazers were loaded and favored to beat a talented '91 Laker team with Magic. Solid support? If that's solid support then great support must be very scary.

Are you really so stupid that you can only compare a player's help by comparing their single best teammates? It goes well beyond that, especially with a team that had as many quality players as those Blazer teams did.

This...the Blazers had a squad. The individual player that stood out was Drexler, but other than him every other player was solid.

guy
05-24-2012, 11:55 PM

Ummm they weren't that close.

LAClipsFan33
05-25-2012, 12:11 AM

Talent wise ? Size and athleticism ? Yes they were. Clyde was just dumb as rocks and Jordan was a cerebral assassin

OldSchoolBBall
05-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Talent wise ? Size and athleticism ? Yes they were. Clyde was just dumb as rocks and Jordan was a cerebral assassin

Drexler was nowhere near as talented as Jordan. ATHLETICALLY TALENTED? I guess - but even there MJ had him beat. But in terms of BASKETBALL talent (creativity, feel for the game, intuitive sense etc.), not even close.

Smoke117
05-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Clyde's main problem was that he was a lazy underachiever.

guy
05-25-2012, 12:20 AM

I guess it depends on your definition of close. There were things they were close at, but other then maybe rebounding, there was literally nothing Drexler was even arguably better then Jordan at. Jordan was clearly the better scorer in every aspect, the better passer, better defender, better clutch player, better big game performer, better leader, better decision-maker, better athlete, etc. So I wouldn't really call that close.

KG215
05-25-2012, 12:21 AM

Thought Jordan kind of put that whole debate to rest in the '92 Finals? At least a little bit.

Jordan: 36-5-6-2 on .526/.429/.891

Drexler: 25-8-5-1-1 on .406/.150/.893

Now, I was four at the time and I've only see a couple of those games in their entirety and that's been a while. But did Jordan not guard Clyde in that series? Or was it Pippen?

And of course that's another one of those "Jordan was slighted and used it as motivation" stories that's been stretched a little over the years, but still.

This is what the article said, so I can see how Jordan could've taken that as a slight.

Perhaps he is being completely honest. But it's difficult for the Blazers to laugh off all the criticism routinely lobbed in their direction, criticism that falls most heavily upon the formidable shoulders of the 6'7" Drexler. This is the season in which Drexler, 29, has clearly elevated his game to the point where he now stands, in the estimation of most NBA insiders, right behind Michael Jordan as the league's best all-around player. "And the gap between them is not as great as a lot of people might think," says Jerry Reynolds, the director of player personnel for the Sacramento Kings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1003760/index.htm

gengiskhan
05-25-2012, 12:26 AM

Like I said. Nice try. :lol

If Jordan had Pippen

If Shaq had Kobe

If Wade had Shaq

give Clyde Drexler a Barkley or an Ewing any given day and take away all those buck williams, danny ainges, jerome kersey. You'll see Blazers winning 2 rings.

only thing Drexler really had was a solid coach. He was missing a true 2nd punch that both Barkley & Ewing missed with Sixers/Suns & Knicks respectively.

we all know this. good role players will land you in the NBA Finals but Dont win it.

You need that solid 2nd fiddle to win it all.

LAClipsFan33
05-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Drexler was nowhere near as talented as Jordan. ATHLETICALLY TALENTED? I guess - but even there MJ had him beat. But in terms of BASKETBALL talent (creativity, feel for the game, intuitive sense etc.), not even close.

Talent...meaning athleticism

They were close. Jordan edged him out a bit in athleticism and destroyed him in skills and the mental aspects of the game

SlayerEnraged
05-25-2012, 12:28 AM
You have not seen ONE FULL GAME of Clyde Drexler. Your opinion is null and void.

Someone else posted how Clyde was fast as Wade without the awkard landing positions...PUHLEASE I've watched the 92 finals and just random youtube videos of Clyde and yup he's good but speed was not a major strength of his. Btw, hows ur quest for basketball shape coming along?

guy
05-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Thought Jordan kind of put that whole debate to rest in the '92 Finals? At least a little bit.

Jordan: 36-5-6-2 on .526/.429/.891

Drexler: 25-8-5-1-1 on .406/.150/.893

Now, I was four at the time and I've only see a couple of those games in their entirety and that's been a while. But did Jordan not guard Clyde in that series? Or was it Pippen?

And of course that's another one of those "Jordan was slighted and used it as motivation" stories that's been stretched a little over the years, but still.

This is what the article said, so I can see how Jordan could've taken that as a slight.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1003760/index.htm

Jordan guarded him. He had an all-time great series better then any other wing player ever had even if you just take into account his offense. But on top of that he held down a top 5 SG of all-time in his prime defensively. Its hilarious how people think there are any wing players comparable to him.

LAClipsFan33
05-25-2012, 12:32 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of close. There were things they were close at, but other then maybe rebounding, there was literally nothing Drexler was even arguably better then Jordan at. Jordan was clearly the better scorer in every aspect, the better passer, better defender, better clutch player, better big game performer, better leader, better decision-maker, better athlete, etc. So I wouldn't really call that close.

I was referring to god given talent...combine numbers basically.

If you transfer Jordan's brain into Drexler's body Jordan still becomes the same type of player because the drop off in athleticism was small.

Again...Clyde was dumb as rocks and didn't work as hard as Jordan, but physically he was nearly as gifted

gengiskhan
05-25-2012, 12:33 AM
guys seriously!

Jordan would do that to anyone what he did to Drexler in 1992 finals?

Many call it, it was Jordan vs drexler nba finals.

others call it, Jordan + Pippen vs Drexler + Porter :lol

to be fair to Clyde, It was in reality Jordan + Pippen vs Drexler. Pippen by 1992 was complete all time great player.

guy
05-25-2012, 12:37 AM
guys seriously!

Jordan would do that to anyone what he did to Drexler in 1992 finals?

Many call it, it was Jordan vs drexler nba finals.

others call it, Jordan + Pippen vs Drexler + Porter :lol

to be fair to Clyde, It was in reality Jordan + Pippen vs Drexler. Pippen by 1992 was complete all time great player.

Switch Jordan on the Blazers/Rockets and Clyde on the Bulls, and Jordan has 7-8 titles instead of 6. 1990-1993 with the Blazers, and 1995-1997 or 1998 with the Rockets.

Joshumitsu
05-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Clyde was great. Very underrated in that he doesn't get the reputation he deserves. Some aspects, he was just as talented as anyone. Others, not so much.

Let me put it this way:

Clyde could hold his own against Magic, Bird, Jordan, etc. But while he had a spectacular combination of skills/athleticism, he's still below them. Why? Well, for starters, he wasn't a smart basketball player, his ball handling wasn't that great, and his 3-pt shooting/mid-range game was flawed. He could be dominant (ex. playoff performances, two career quadruple double games, amazing athleticism) but was overall inconsistent.

Think of a more skilled Vince Carter.

Don't get me wrong. Clyde could easily hold his own against the best of today's league. But his mindset is not Wade or Kobe.

ShaqAttack3234
05-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Like I said. Nice try. :lol

If Jordan had Pippen

If Shaq had Kobe

If Wade had Shaq

give Clyde Drexler a Barkley or an Ewing any given day and take away all those buck williams, danny ainges, jerome kersey. You'll see Blazers winning 2 rings.

only thing Drexler really had was a solid coach. He was missing a true 2nd punch that both Barkley & Ewing missed with Sixers/Suns & Knicks respectively.

we all know this. good role players will land you in the NBA Finals but Dont win it.

You need that solid 2nd fiddle to win it all.

If Clyde "had" Ewing or Barkley, he'd be the sidekick anyway.

We all know that it matters who those players were surrounded by. And your definition of role players is a stretch. The Blazers weren't role players.

If Clyde was better, he might've won a ring or 2 with those Blazers. It has nothing to do with his cast. He had more talent on those teams than anyone could hope for. For comparison, he had more talent on his cast than Jordan's Bulls at that same time. Jordan was just a much better player. And I don't care if Shaq had Kobe and Wade had Shaq. They have nothing to do with Clyde, but I can tell you for a fact that the '90-'92 Blazer casts were more talented than the 3peat Lakers or the '06 Heat casts. But just like Clyde was not capable of performing like Jordan, he was also not capable of performing like 3peat Shaq or even '06 Wade during the finals.

LAClipsFan33
05-25-2012, 12:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsk1dx-73VA

Drexler was a freak of nature. Big, fast and strong...too bad he was a dummy

L.Kizzle
05-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Clyde was not 100% goin into the playoffs in 92. The evidence is in the pudding as he had a major fall of the next season as he never recovered.

Not to mention him being guarded by either Jordan or Pippen the whole game.

tpols
05-25-2012, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsk1dx-73VA

Drexler was a freak of nature. Big, fast and strong...too bad he was a dummy
Wow.. he doesnt look that fast. Strong and can jump.. but the whole time I was watching I was imagining Lebron in these same fast break situations except Bron would've been down the court twice as fast.

ShaqAttack3234
05-25-2012, 01:21 AM
As far as talent between MJ and Clyde? Not close, imo. MJ had natural basketball skills that Clyde couldn't match no matter how hard he tried. It was obvious that Clyde could never have the footwork, pure shooting ability, creativity, defensive instincts ect. Basically what OldSchoolBBall said. He was definitely not as quick either. Clyde compared as a rebounder and passer, but that's it.

Clyde was not 100% goin into the playoffs in 92. The evidence is in the pudding as he had a major fall of the next season as he never recovered.

Not to mention him being guarded by either Jordan or Pippen the whole game.

True, though he still played easily his best ball that year. It was an injured toe that bothered him initially starting in February and then a sprained right knee in the playoffs, though Jordan actually had a thigh injury himself.

'92 was the one year I'd say Clyde might've been a top 5 player in the league. Debatable though with Jordan, Ewing, Malone, Robinson, Hakeem, Barkley and Pippen.

JtotheIzzo
05-25-2012, 03:33 AM

Prime Drexler would own Wade. Bigger, stronger, just a quick if not quicker, a solid combination of physical attributes (strength, quickness, dunk contest hops) and a full skill set.

Drexler had a handful of years where he was second only to Jordan. And this was in the late 80s and early 90s when there was a lot of talent in the league.

Punk ass little ISH b*tches weren't around and think the L started with MJ and Iverson. Anyone dissing Clyde in this thread is dumb.

Horatio33
05-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Guy couldn't dribble and look up at the same time, had a below average jumper, saying he is anti clutch doesn't do justice to his lack of clutchness.

gengiskhan
05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Guy couldn't dribble and look up at the same time, had a below average jumper, saying he is anti clutch doesn't do justice to his lack of clutchness.

agreed

BUT

A guy had incredible stamina & never fatigued. NEVER !! I repeat. You'll see wade, kobe winded fatigued. Wade injured never played a whole 82 games in a season.

Heck wade never played a shortened 66 game season.

Drexler's strength, length, extra long wingspan, huge hands, stamina in his peak was only matched by MJ.

Drexler attacked the rim the same way in first mins of first quarter & last min of 4th quarter with same aggressiveness thanks to his stamina. A 6'7" athletic freak of nature.

glidedrxlr22
05-25-2012, 10:59 AM
My favorite alltime player....hence my screen name.

Mychal Thompson, who was drafted #1 overall by the Blazers in the late 70s, once commented on the radio that Clyde was the best athlete he'd ever known. Thompson adores Kobe and won a couple of titles with the Lakers....so for him to say that about Clyde was actually pretty cool.

Clyde could do it all.....except dance....probably the worst athlete performer on Dancing With the Stars.

tontoz
05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Clyde was a great player but Jordan's shadow was pretty big.

Drexler's handle wasn't that good. He always went right with his head down. Other than that he was a great all around player. His J was a little flat though.

ShaqAttack3234
05-26-2012, 07:33 PM
:oldlol: This is an example of Drexler's Blazer teams who "weren't that talented". Keep in mind that all of these players were at or near prime age. Drexler and Kersey were 28, Porter was 27, Buck Williams was 30, Duckworth was 26, Cliff Robinson was 24 and Ainge was 31. Name another team from '91 that was as talented as the 63-19 Blazers.

SG Clyde Drexler- An all-time great open court player, capable outside shooter, elite post up guard, an elite rebounding guard(probably the best offensive rebounding guard) and one of the best passers ever at the SG position.
Awards- All-NBA second team, 6th in MVP voting and all-star in '91. 5-time all-nba, 10-time all-star, all-nba first team in '92 and 2nd in MVP voting in '92.
Statss- 21.5 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 6 apg, 2.8 TO, 1.8 spg, 48.2 FG%, 56.3 TS%, 34.8 mpg

PG Terry Porter- Excellent shooter, solid playmaker, good pick and roll player, a solid defender for his position and capable of playing off the ball like a 2 guard. The best comparison I've heard is the Chauncey Billups of the early 90's.
Awards- all-star and 9th in MVP voting in '91 and a 2-time all-star overall.
Stats- 17 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 8 apg, 2.3 TO, 2 spg, 51.5 FG%, 63.2 TS%, 32.9 mpg

SF Jerome Kersey- A big and athletic forward ideal for the Blazers running game. He was also a solid rebounder. Not the best shooter, though he hit some mid-range shots. He averaged 21/8 in the '90 playoffs and 18/7 in the '91 playoffs.

Stats- 14.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.4 spg, 1 bpg, 2 TO, 47.8 FG%, 52.6 TS%, 32.3 mpg

PF Buck Williams- One of the best defensive players at the time, a strong rebounder and a capable inside scorer.
Awards- All-defensive 1st team in '91, all-nba 2nd in team in 1983, 5 all-nba defensive teams, 1982 rookie of the year, 3-time all-star
Stats- 11.7 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.7 TO, 60.2 FG%, 63.9 TS%, 32.3 mpg

C Kevin Duckworth- One of the more skilled offensive big men with a very good post game, great size and a good touch around the rim and on short jumpers.

Awards- all-star in '91, 2-time all-star overall and 1988 NBA most improved player

Stats-15.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.1 apg, 2.3 TO, 48.1 FG%, 52.5 TS%, 31 mpg

Forward Clifford Robinson- Versatile player at 6'10" who at different points played all 3 frontcourt positions. Excellent defender who fit into the Blazers transition game and he could shoot for a big man. Averaged 15.5 ppg on 50% shooting in the 11 games he started that year and 2 years later, he averaged 19 ppg in the first season he played 30 mpg in.

Awards- 1993 Sixth Man Of The Year, 1994 all-star, 2-time all-defensive second team

Stats- 11.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.6 TO, 1 spg, 46.3 FG%, 50.7 TS%, 23.7 mpg

Guard Danny Ainge- Excellent shooter, solid passer and a good leader who always played hard. Brought championship experience with him. He was coming off an 18/4/6 season in Sacramento.

Awards- 1988 all-star

Stats- 11.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.3 TO, 47.2 FG%, 57.4 TS%, 21.4 mpg

One word....stacked.

Punpun
05-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Didn't he play with Hakeem ? Not stacekd lel.

Big#50
05-26-2012, 07:46 PM
He gets fair praise. I wouldn't put him in my top 5 SG's.

PistolPete44
04-13-2013, 08:14 AM
sigh

Euroleague
04-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Drexler was a freak athlete of the rarest kind and he was the best scorer in the open court I ever saw. It's true that he's gotten looked over and forgotten about for some reason.

At his peak, he was an absolute BEAST.

Quintilianus
04-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Fact # 1: Clyde is voted Top 50 GOATs in 1997. Over Dominique (an all-time great). Critics have questioned Pippen being in Top 50 list over 'Nique but never Clyde. A legit solid Top 50 Picks over Pippen & 'Nique.

Fact # 2: Clyde a taller, stronger, bigger 6'7" version of michael Jordan. His stamina, strength was superior to Kobe & Wade. He always attacked the rim like Wade but never ended up on the ground in awkward position like Wade does frequently on the floor. Always landed on his feet in physical Defensive era of '80s & '90s. You'll see Kobe fatigued, Wade gassed out but Clyde was like a machine incredible endurance. I've never seen him gassed

Fact # 3: Clyde's prime peak is similar to Wade stat wise. But Clyde rarely missed seasons or tons of reg sea games due to injury or fitness issues like Wade frequently did in his peak prime years. 6 seasons of 80+ games. almost every year going deep into playoffs in his peak.

Fact # 4: Clyde was a lone warrior is still is the face of the Portland franchise. A successful perimeter player who made it to NBA finals 2x without any legit HOF'er or even a consistant all-star starter in Blazer line up.

Why is Wade considered better than Clyde?

Just cuz of 1 FMVP & 1 ring in pi$$ poor era.

Can Wade ever take MIA to NBA Finals without first ballot HOF'er or even a legit all-star first teamer like Clyde did it twice?

Wade would've never been considered 2nd best SG in Jordan era if he played then just because of missed injury seasons & tons of games!

Clyde was considered the 2nd best SG next to MJ in Jordan Era

Hell, He was considered as good as MJ in 1992 coming up as runner-up MVP!

When was wade a real solid runner-up MVP?
lol.