PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 most athletic players ever in each positions?

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 03:28 AM
List the 5 best athletes for each position. This goes for any past player, not just current players.

Here's mine:

Center-1)David Robinson, 2)Shaq, 3)Wilt, 4)Dwight, 5)Artis Gilmore or Hakeem

Power Forward-1)Kemp, 2)Amare(pre-injuries), 3)Blake , 4)McDyess, 5a,b,c,d)Larry Johnson-Barkley-Josh Smith-Karl Malone

Small Forward-1)LeBron, 2)Dr. J, 3)Nique, 4)Shawn Marion, 5)Rudy Gay or Pippen

Shooting Guard-1)Jordan, 2)Carter, 3)Wade, 4)T-Mac, 5a,b,c)Iguodala-Clyde-Kobe

Point Guard-1)Rose, 2)Westbrook, 3)Iverson, 4)John Wall, 5a,b,c)Steve Francis-Baron Davis-Nate Robinson

DTreats
05-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Where's Kobe at

tikay0
05-25-2012, 03:29 AM
:applause: excellent list.

tikay0
05-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Just noticed something.......how the fugg is clyde not on your sg list??????

Go Getter
05-25-2012, 03:31 AM
You need to read up on a man they called David Thompson.

DTreats
05-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Jordon wasn't that athletic

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Where's Kobe at
Kobe is a world class athlete, but he isn't more athletic then the shooting guards I listed. He's definitely up there though. From the SG's I listed who would you say isn't as good of an athlete as Kobe?

Haymaker
05-25-2012, 03:34 AM
Jordon was a bum.

lbj23clutch
T Mac, Vince, Wade, and MJ are all better athletes then Clyde, in my opinion. Not as quick as MJ, Wade or T Mac, and doesn't jump as high as VC.

lbj23clutch
Jordon wasn't that athletic
:coleman:

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 03:36 AM
You can argue Clyde was just as athletic as Iguodala though. I'll update it.

anthonyRandolph
05-25-2012, 03:37 AM
ralph sampson

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 03:38 AM
Never got to watch Thompson on TV or even much of his highlights. Care to explain?

StateOfMind12
05-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Kobe should be 5th over Iggy at the least. Iggy isn't that athletic to be honest. He isn't faster nor quicker than Kobe is and his vertical leap isn't even that impressive. It was like less than 35 inches if I could recall correctly. Iggy does have ridiculously long arms though which is probably why he could do all these cool and acrobatic dunks. Kobe had like a 40+ vertical leap from what I could recall and we all know he was amazingly quick and very fast during his prime.

I also think as someone mentioned in this thread that Drexler should be on here. I heard that his 40 yard dash time was like a 4.1-4.2 and he had like a 40+ inch vertical as well. Clyde was probably more athletic than Carter.

dunksby
05-25-2012, 03:41 AM
There is no reason for Kobe not being on the list, he is as athletic as they come.

tikay0
05-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Kobe should be 5th over Iggy at the least. Iggy isn't that athletic to be honest. He isn't faster nor quicker than Kobe is and his vertical leap isn't even that impressive. It was like less than 35 inches if I could recall correctly. Iggy does have ridiculously long arms though which is probably why he could do all these cool and acrobatic dunks. Kobe had like a 40+ vertical leap from what I could recall and we all know he was amazingly quick and very fast during his prime.

I also think as someone mentioned in this thread that Drexler should be on here. I heard that his 40 yard dash time was like a 4.1-4.2 and he had like a 40+ inch vertical as well. Clyde was probably more athletic than Carter.

Just based on the eye test, much quicker and was a higher leaper than everyone on that list, except jordan. the man was lightning quick attacking the rim. while vc had insane dunks, besides his leaping ability, i dont consider him overall legend status athletic. gon get flamed for that statement.

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 03:50 AM

Kobe never had a 40+ vertical. LeBron doesn't even have a 40 inch vertical and he clearly jumps higher prime vs prime. I've heard Kobe's prime vertical is around 36 inches, while he came into the league with a 34 inch vertical. And you're underrating Iggy here. His draft vertical was 34.5 inches, but it's gotta be at least 37-38 inches during his athletic prime. He may not be as fast as Kobe, but he's stronger, taller, longer, has freakishly long arms and has a better frame. It's arguable though, so I have no problem putting Kobe on there.

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 03:52 AM
There is no reason for Kobe not being on the list, he is as athletic as they come.
I updated it, got him at tied with Clyde and Iggy. :cheers:

anthonyRandolph
05-25-2012, 03:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGj4W9V-wCk

Jasi
05-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Dahntay Jones

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 04:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGj4W9V-wCk

Ralph Sampson is definitely a beast. A man that tall shouldn't be that mobile and coordinated. The way he handled the ball at 7'4 is amazing. Too bad he never reached his full potential.

theaussieguy
05-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Kobe never had a 40+ vertical. LeBron doesn't even have a 40 inch vertical and he clearly jumps higher prime vs prime. I've heard Kobe's prime vertical is around 36 inches, while he came into the league with a 34 inch vertical. And you're underrating Iggy here. His draft vertical was 34.5 inches, but it's gotta be at least 37-38 inches during his athletic prime. He may not be as fast as Kobe, but he's stronger, taller, longer, has freakishly long arms and has a better frame. It's arguable though, so I have no problem putting Kobe on there.

a better frame for SF, kobe/jordan have the best frames for their position/athleticism its not even debatable. I mean all round athleticism.

and are u sure about Lebron not having a 40inch vert in his prime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOOoZZB9BY

KG215
05-25-2012, 04:23 AM

This. And he was only about 6'4".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6OsKy1c5A0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQPVKQIFxVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVd2TvNaaGA

Many consider him the guard in college basketball history, and a top 3-5 player after Kareem (Lew Alcindor in college) and Bill Walton. He led NC State to a win in the 1974 over heavily favored UCLA and went on to win the national championship. Unfortunately injuries slowed down his pro career but not before making back-to-back All-NBA 1st Team in 1977 and 1978. Even though his career took a steep decline after being plagued with injuries, he still put up a career line of 23-4-3-1-1 on 50.5% shooting.

theaussieguy
05-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Amare over Blake? really? Maybe he was faster, i highly doubt he could jump higher than blake.

Micku
05-25-2012, 04:32 AM
I think Vince Carter was better than Wade athletically. I dunno about Jordan. I don't know how is faster, stronger, or who can jump higher.

dunksby
05-25-2012, 04:36 AM
I updated it, got him at tied with Clyde and Iggy. :cheers:
:cheers:

KG215
05-25-2012, 04:44 AM
I think Vince Carter was better than Wade athletically. I dunno about Jordan. I don't know how is faster, stronger, or who can jump higher.

Yeah, in terms of just athletic ability, I personally would have him right behind Jordan. My top five SGs would be Jordan, Carter, Thompson, Wade, and either Kobe or Drexler. Vince is one of the best in-game dunkers ever.

Flamboyant
05-25-2012, 04:52 AM
How is Karl Malone not on the PF list? :facepalm
He is quite similar to LeBron. Superior strength and speed. He should be the clear #1 on PF list. He may even be #1 overall.

Sekman
05-25-2012, 04:56 AM
kevin johnson.. runs fast, reacts quick and jumps high ~

Ai2death
05-25-2012, 05:06 AM
You can not make a list with out Gerald Green. Probably one of the most athletic players ever

wagexslave
05-25-2012, 05:39 AM
Shannon Brown deserves a mention. Dude is a freak athlete. If only his b-ball skills were as good as his athleticism.

Teanett
05-25-2012, 05:49 AM
where's rodman?

theaussieguy
05-25-2012, 05:56 AM
Shannon Brown deserves a mention. Dude is a freak athlete. If only his b-ball skills were as good as his athleticism.

i don't think i heard a single thing about him this season. I always thought the lakers were retarded for getting rid of him, he was playing so well off the bench last year.

tikay0
05-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Yeah, shannon brown is a freak.

Nash-tastic
05-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Where the fk is Kevin Johnson?

RoseCity07
05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
I read this title as the 5 most pathetic players at each position.

Was gonna post about Felton.:ohwell:

It's A VC3!!!
05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Vince Carter was the most athletic NBA player to ever live. So seeing him Number 3 on the shooting guard list is absurd.

Unfortunately his athleticism didn't transpire to what I hoped it would, but nonetheless he had a tremendous career.

Alamo
05-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I'd have Vince Carter higher

madmax
05-25-2012, 11:43 AM

:facepalm
What are you smoking dude? Prime Lebron is the most athletic wing player of all time - he was just as fast as any PG and his vertical was easily 43-44 inches. LOL

LamarOdom
05-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Where the f'ck is Gerald Green?

Eat Like A Bosh
05-25-2012, 12:00 PM
PG: Nash
SG: Ginobilli
SF: Kevin Love
PF: Luis Scola
C: Shawn Bradley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8jDDryzy4

Anyways I agree with most of your last. I would put Carter ahead of Wade. Dude was a freak of nature. Dunking is one of the biggest indicators, and Wade hasn't even attempted a slam dunk contest yet. And Idk if it's just me, but I think Westbrook's even more athletic than Rose and Iverson now. I've never seen those 2 throw down dunks like this Westbrook.

Fudge
05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
No-named players such as Nate Robinson and Gerald Green are just as athletic as those big named players on your list. I'd give them a HM. Also, i'd have Westbrook as the most athletic point guard ever. It's a toss up between him and Rose really. I don't know why they're 1 and 3.

pauk
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Center-
1)Wilt Chamberlain
2)Shaquille Oneal
3)David Robinson
4)Dwight Howard
5)Artis Gilmore

Power Forward-
1)Shawn Kemp
2)Blake Griffin
3)Amare Stoudemire
4)Charles Barkley
5)Antonio McDyess

Small Forward-
1)LeBron James
2)Julius Erving
3)Dominique Wilkins
4)Scottie Pippen
5)Rudy Gay or Gerald Green

Shooting Guard-
1)Michael Jordan
2)Vince Carter
3)Harold Miner
4)Andre Igoudala
5)James White

Point Guard-
1)Spud Webb (cmon, he was like what... 3 feet tall?)
2)Nate Robinson
3)Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, John Wall,
4)Allen Iverson,
5)Robert Pack, Steve Francis or Baron Davis[/QUOTE]

Whoah10115
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
How is Karl Malone not on the PF list? :facepalm
He is quite similar to LeBron. Superior strength and speed. He should be the clear #1 on PF list. He may even be #1 overall.

:oldlol:

"No player did more with less jumping ability".

PG: Nash
SG: Ginobilli
SF: Kevin Love
PF: Luis Scola
C: Shawn Bradley

:roll:

no pun intended
05-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Vince Carter>>>>>>>>>>>>>Michael Jordan and it's not even close.

OldSchoolBBall
05-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Vince Carter>>>>>>>>>>>>>Michael Jordan and it's not even close.

All Carter had over Jordan was two-footed leaping off a gather step. Jordan had a better: first step, overall speed, quickness, body control, one-footed leaping, leaper off a hop step, and reflexes. '88-'91 Jordan was pretty clearly more athletic than VC prime.

CavaliersFTW
05-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Wilt Chamberlain is a better athlete than any other center by a wide margin. And for those using Dwight Howard, Hakeem Olajuwon, or Artis Gilmore on their lists - Bill Russell is a very convincingly better athlete than those 3.

Chamberlain:
2x D1 NCAA high-jump Big-Eight/Big-Seven conference title winner and set the KU Indoor High-Jump Record, D1 NCAA Triple-Jumper. His KU High-Jump PR was good enough to have actually placed 5th in the Olympics the year prior. A stand out multi-event track and field athlete in the Quarter-Mile, Half-Mile, Shot-Put, Long-Jump, Triple-Jump, and High-Jump. Started playing competitive volleyball during the latter half of his NBA career which he continued late into his life (he is in the Volleyball HOF although I don't know the specific reasons why). Ran a 4.6 40 yard dash in his barefeet, and had Kansas City Chiefs coach Hank Stram jizzing his pants at the potential Wilt displayed to become the "best wide receiver in pro football history". Averaged over 48 minutes per game for an entire NBA season during the era with a schedule as compressed as this years lockout season. Scared the **** out of Tex Winters (Then chairmen of the NCAA rules and regulations committee) when he took off from the free throw line in a gym with only a 3 step head start and dunked it. Strongest basketball player of his time, and in the upper body perhaps ever. Owns the NBA's record book, and his records paint the image of a player with such freakish individual gifts that even his greatest peers fall under constant scrutiny of their physical adequacy. He is freakishly agile, conditioned, strong, PLUS freakish measurements. Contemporaries have called him one of the worlds greatest athletes in the history of time.

Russell:
Legitimate World Record breaking High-Jump potential, ranked #7 in the world in 1956 and briefly trained for the Olympics prior to being secured a place on the basketball team. Very elite multi-event track and field athlete particularly in Hurdles, Long Jump, Quarter-Mile and as mentioned the High-Jump. One of the highest leaping, and fastest players in the league - among all players not just big men. Freakishly agile and conditioned for his size.

Robinson:
Competitive Gymnast, and one of the fastest players down the court among all players not just big men. Freakishly agile and conditioned for his size.

Shaq:
Freakishly agile and strong PLUS freakish measurements including overall body mass. Strongest player of his time, and in the lower body perhaps ever.

arkain
05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Good list, I'd put Vince ahead of Wade for sure, probably ahead of Jordan too.

Prime Vince was very similar to Jordan, adding to that though he was also bigger and stronger than Jordan.

Bucket_Nakedz
05-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Derrick rose and jordan are p4p thee most athletic players in any sport.

Whoah10115
05-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Wilt Chamberlain is a better athlete than any other center by a wide margin. And for those using Dwight Howard, Hakeem Olajuwon, or Artis Gilmore on their lists - Bill Russell is a very convincingly better athlete than those 3.

Still fighting the good fight.

Punpun
05-25-2012, 05:37 PM
There was a PF, forgot his name, that had a 40+ inch vertical. Def most athletic PF.

Punpun
05-25-2012, 05:39 PM
It's Anotnio mcDyess. Thank you Pauk. He is the most atheltic PF.

CavaliersFTW
05-25-2012, 06:03 PM
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/138/7/f/russdunkolympics_by_dantheman9758-d506gc1.gif

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cIeZzHU43Fc/T2VliXN4qSI/AAAAAAAADPM/Jglt_bFO3ng/s800/Corbis-IH161161.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YCUjhRcpEbg/T2VlfT5HiyI/AAAAAAAADPE/jdW5v20BZes/s800/Corbis-U1105037.jpg

WillC
05-25-2012, 06:04 PM
List the 5 best athletes for each position. This goes for any past player, not just current players.

Here's mine:

Power Forward-1)Kemp, 2)Amare(pre-injuries), 3)Blake , 4)McDyess, 5a,b,c)Larry Johnson-Barkley-Josh Smith

Small Forward-1)LeBron, 2)Dr. J, 3)Nique, 4)Shawn Marion, 5)Rudy Gay

Shooting Guard-1)Jordan, 2)Wade, 3)Carter, 4)T-Mac, 5)Iguodala-Clyde-Kobe

Point Guard-1)Rose, 2)Iverson, 3)Westbrook, 4)John Wall, 5)Steve Francis or Baron Davis

Not a bad list by any means.

However, David Thompson was certainly a better athlete than Dwyane Wade (I'm surprised you've got Wade ahead of Carter for that matter).

I'd take Ben Wallace over Hakeem Olajuwon in terms of pure athleticism. Bill Russell should be in the top 5 too.

Kevin Johnson probably deserves at least an honorable mention at PG. He was supremely quick and an explosive leaper.

Gus Johnson deserves to be on the power forward list, perhaps tied with the likes of Antonio McDyess (well done for mentioning him), Larry Johnson, Charles Barkley, etc.

Nate Robinson is, pound for pound, perhaps the best athlete in NBA history. His draft combine results were scarily good.

Rudy Gay is a good athlete but there must be a better choice for the 5th most athletic SF of all-time. Maybe Scottie Pippen or Billy 'Kangaroo Kid' Cunningham?

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 06:10 PM
What are you smoking dude? Prime Lebron is the most athletic wing player of all time - he was just as fast as any PG and his vertical was easily 43-44 inches. LOL
He was measured in at 37 inch vertical in the draft combine. At the peak it was probably 39 inches. Only a handful of guys like MJ, VC, Gerald Green have recorded at 40+ inches. I agree with you though, LeBron IS the most athletic perimeter player ever.

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Vince Carter was the most athletic NBA player to ever live. So seeing him Number 3 on the shooting guard list is absurd.

Unfortunately his athleticism didn't transpire to what I hoped it would, but nonetheless he had a tremendous career.
Not even top 5 ever. Second most athletic shooting guard and best leaper ever, I'll give you that. But jumping isn't the only part of athleticism. Carter never had the combination of quickness, speed, strength and explosion off the dribble as Jordan.

Punpun
05-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Actually Jumping hard and strong like VC = Him being the most athletic as legs etc. are built towards that athleticism. With fast and slow twitches in the legs.

Calabis
05-25-2012, 06:31 PM
One guy people are forgetting about, was a freak named Darrell Griffith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bAkaSw_sYY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqxfA02JJPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZawD99yTds&feature=related

oops he was only 6'4

DuMa
05-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Rodman deserves his props. stamina and leg strength for being able to box out guys much bigger than him well into his late 30s

arifgokcen
05-25-2012, 06:35 PM
He was measured in at 37 inch vertical in the draft combine. At the peak it was probably 39 inches. Only a handful of guys like MJ, VC, Gerald Green have recorded at 40+ inches. I agree with you though, LeBron IS the most athletic perimeter player ever.

First of all in draft combine lebron didnt have a recorded vertical.I can assure you,there is no realiable source telling his vertical.However under 40' vertical is impossible for him.Let me illustrate why he has probably 43-44 inches vertical.

Lebron Highest Jump Ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOOoZZB9BY)
Lebron Head Above the Rim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWi8Ds2RoE4)
Lebron head above the rim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9583tLYX0pw)

Lebron in shoes 6'8.5=6*12+8,5=80,5
Rim level is 120 minus his height is 40'.
That means his vertical is definitely more than 40'

lbj23clutch
05-25-2012, 06:40 PM
First of all in draft combine lebron didnt have a recorded vertical.I can assure you,there is no realiable source telling his vertical.However under 40' vertical is impossible for him.Let me illustrate why he has probably 43-44 inches vertical.

Lebron Head Above the Rim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWi8Ds2RoE4)
Lebron head above the rim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9583tLYX0pw)

Lebron in shoes 6'8.5=6*12+8,5=80,5
Rim level is 120 minus his height is 40'.
That means his vertical is more definitely than 40'
I don't know about those videos man. You can never be too sure, those camera angles can be deceptive.

It's not far fetched to say LeBron has a 40+ vertical, but I've read somewhere that he came into the league with a 37-38 inch vertical. I'm not too sure though. I just checked right now and I can't find any legit sources on his measurements.

Punpun
05-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Nope. 120-80.5 = 39.5. It's really possible Lebron doesn't have a 40+ inch jumper. Thanks for your calc.

Calabis
05-25-2012, 06:47 PM
And a underrated white guy Tom Chambers....disrespect becuz he's white:confusedshrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGavLNemp8Q&feature=related

Odinn
05-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I highly doubt Howard is more gifted than Hakeem.

WillC
05-25-2012, 06:54 PM
And a underrated white guy Tom Chambers....disrespect becuz he's white:confusedshrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGavLNemp8Q&feature=related

I nearly mentioned him, but chose not to because he didn't have the strength of the other forwards listed. However, he was certainly a tremendous leaper.

arifgokcen
05-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Nope. 120-80.5 = 39.5. It's really possible Lebron doesn't have a 40+ inch jumper. Thanks for your calc.
He can get above the rim level.So thats 0.5 is the minimum value.Thus 40' vertical.Just watch this and tell me he doesnt have 40' vertical.No angle.

If you really think he doesnt have 40+ vertical after watching this video go see a doctor.Seriously go see a doctor.

From the video its obvious that at the very least he has 42' vertical

Punpun
05-25-2012, 07:01 PM
But Lebron has grown since his initial size + his shoes could be higher than listed. So yep, Lebron doesn't have a 40+ inch jump anymore.

Calabis
05-25-2012, 07:08 PM
:oldlol:

U have to be freaking kidding me

Domination on Friday night doesn't mean much when a colossus is leaping over pimple-faced twerps, but James has proven he can compete against world-class competition. It's not silly to think he could have made it in the NFL, too.

He's a 6-foot-8, 250-pound freak of stature. He would tower above NFL defensive backs and other receivers. Plus, he owns a 44-inch vertical leap, which would rank among the top 10 recorded at the NFL scouting combine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5360552

let me guess, since its not about u'r hero, it's all a lie :oldlol:

PTB Fan
05-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Centers:

1.Wilt Chamberlain-Arguably the most athletic player of any time.

2.Bill Russell

3.David Robinson (could be switched with Russ, though the latter is very underrated)

4.Shaquille O'Neal

5.Nate Thurmond- Once again very overlooked, but the dude had it all from a physical standpoint.

Power Forwards:

1.Shawn Kemp

2.Amare Stoudemire pre injuries

3.Karl Malone

4.Antonio McDyess

5. Gus Johnson

Small Forwards:

1.LeBron James

2.Julius Erving

3.Dominique Wilkins

4.Scottie Pippen

5.Elgin Baylor

Shooting Guards:

1.Michael Jordan

2.Clyde Drexler

3.Kobe Bryant

4.David Thompson

5.Vince Carter

Point Guard:

1.Derrick Rose

2.Russell Westbrook

3.Kevin Johnson

4.Oscar Robertson

5.Baron Davis

CavaliersFTW
05-25-2012, 07:09 PM
But Lebron has grown since his initial size + his shoes could be higher than listed. So yep, Lebron doesn't have a 40+ inch jump anymore.

In the draft he was only measured 6-8 with shoes so either arifgokcen speculatively accounted for his growth already or his different source for that measurement might actually be revealing how much Lebron grew since his draft measurement.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/LeBron-James-2967/

arifgokcen can you please provide the source for your 6-8.5" "In shoes" height measurement?

Calabis
05-25-2012, 07:12 PM

Yes he does still have at the minimum a 40 inch vertical leap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvjjEtjwKHE

bizil
05-25-2012, 07:13 PM
PG- Rose
Westbrook
Francis
KJ
Baron Davis

SG- MJ
Vince
Thompson
Drexler
Wade

SF- Bron
Nique
Dr. J
Grant Hill
Pippen

PF- Blake
Kemp
Amare
McDyess
Josh Smith

C- Robinson
Hakeem
Wilt
Russell
Shaq

Whoah10115
05-25-2012, 08:06 PM
How are people listing Karl Malone as one of the most athletic PF's ever? NOOOOOO.

bizil
05-25-2012, 08:36 PM
I think those guys like Thompson and Doc were so far ahead of their time in the 70's. They were the jumpoff for a lot of what we see today. From the first dunk contest to the shit they did in the game. It seems Doc gets his props, but DT at the guard spot was really the first alpha freak athlete at that spot. I'm surprised Wade doesn't get compared more to Thompson. They are both 6'4, freak athletes, and alpha dogs. Wade was the better all around player, but Thompson was an underrated all around player. Wade is often compared to MJ. But DT was the guy MJ emulated. So much so that DT was the guy who introduced MJ at the HOF. Having the GOAT ask u to introduce him at the HOF is some epic shit DT should be very proud of!

B-Low
05-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Came in looking for Francis. Leaving satisfied.

tmacattack33
05-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm finding it silly that almost all the names are legit all-stars and super-stars.

There are 300 players in this league at all times, and only 5 are super-stars and 15 are legit all-stars

So, I think it goes without saying that the players' skill levels are clouding your judgement. Career bench warmers like James White and Speedy Claxton are ridiculously athletic and are more athletic than many players being named.

...and I only know of James White and his ridiculous athleticism because of his great youtube videos...and I only know of Speedy Claxton and his ridiculous athleticism because a relative of mine used to go to Hofstra...so there were probably a lot more Speedy Claxton's and James White's out there who played in the NBA that I and most of you don't even know of or that you know of but never really saw their athleticism shine before.

JBrizzy
05-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Here's mine:

Power Forward-1)Kemp, 2)Amare(pre-injuries), 3)Blake , 4)McDyess, 5a,b,c,d)Larry Johnson-Barkley-Josh Smith-Karl Malone

Small Forward-1)LeBron, 2)Dr. J, 3)Nique, 4)Shawn Marion, 5)Rudy Gay or Pippen

Shooting Guard-1)Jordan, 2)Carter, 3)Wade, 4)T-Mac, 5a,b,c)Iguodala-Clyde-Kobe

Point Guard-1)Rose, 2)Westbrook, 3)Iverson, 4)John Wall, 5a,b,c)Steve Francis-Baron Davis-Nate Robinson

Why even say 'top five'? Six centers, eight power porwards, six small forwards, seven shooting guards, seven point guards.

bizil
05-26-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm finding it silly that almost all the names are legit all-stars and super-stars.

There are 300 players in this league at all times, and only 5 are super-stars and 15 are legit all-stars

So, I think it goes without saying that the players' skill levels are clouding your judgement. Career bench warmers like James White and Speedy Claxton are ridiculously athletic and are more athletic than many players being named.

...and I only know of James White and his ridiculous athleticism because of his great youtube videos...and I only know of Speedy Claxton and his ridiculous athleticism because a relative of mine used to go to Hofstra...so there were probably a lot more Speedy Claxton's and James White's out there who played in the NBA that I and most of you don't even know of or that you know of but never really saw their athleticism shine before.

I think the reason why most players that are named are All Stars, superstars, or HOFers is that they have more moments showing their athletic brilliance. U just can't be a great athlete who hardly gets on the floor. U have to be a guy so talented that u can make those magical moments happen again and again and again and again and again! lol And I'm talking in game time situations, not just dunk contests. Guys like Rose for example has such a great handle and scoring knack that u will have more moments that display his athletic ability. Guys like Speedy for example isn't anywhere close to Rose at PG, so u aren't going to see as many moments. Game time situations that happen routinely and end with a basket along with legendary dunk contests moments is key criteria for this list.

sundizz
05-26-2012, 12:20 AM

Pointless rant acknowledged. If a player wasn't remembered during his time, he doesn't deserve to be in this discussion. Clearly his athleticism wasn't translatable to the basketball floor. I am including strength (James White) or body control while moving with a basketball (James White) to be part of the requirements. Some people are ridiculously insanely athletic but can't control their athleticism on a basketball floor. This isn't a combine test, but rather an ability to use athleticism. How many facials does James White have? How many crossovers, step backs, ankle breakers does Speedy Claxton have?

My list:
*I don't know much about players before the 80's so can't include them in my list since it is not direct knowledge (with minor exceptions like Wilt)
Athleticism (to me) = Ability to jump explosively and high, agility, in air body control, explosive strength, and end to end speed, and first step quickness.

Point Guards: 1) Russell Westbrook 2) Derrick Rose 3) Baron Davis 4) Magic Jounson 5) Steve Nash

Shooting guards: 1) Michael Jordan 2) Vince Carter 3) Kobe Bryant 3) Dwayne Wade 4) Clyde Drexler

Small forwards: 1) Lebron James 2) Scottie Pippen 3) Julius Erving 4) Andre Iguodala 5) Dominique Wilkins

Power forwards: 1) Charles Barkely 2) Blake Griffin 3) Shawn Kemp 4) Amare Stoudemire 5) Kevin Garnett

Centers: 1) Shaquille O'neal 2) Wilt Chamberlain 3) David Robinson 4) Hakeem Olujawon 5) Dwight Howard

ganja0710
05-26-2012, 12:43 AM
My list:
*I don't know much about players before the 80's so can't include them in my list since it is not direct knowledge (with minor exceptions like Wilt)
Athleticism (to me) = Ability to jump explosively and high, agility, in air body control, explosive strength, and end to end speed, and first step quickness.

Point Guards: 1) Russell Westbrook 2) Derrick Rose 3) Baron Davis 4) Magic Jounson 5) Steve Nash

Shooting guards: 1) Michael Jordan 2) Vince Carter 3) Kobe Bryant 3) Dwayne Wade 4) Clyde Drexler

Small forwards: 1) Lebron James 2) Scottie Pippen 3) Julius Erving 4) Andre Iguodala 5) Dominique Wilkins

Power forwards: 1) Charles Barkely 2) Blake Griffin 3) Shawn Kemp 4) Amare Stoudemire 5) Kevin Garnett

Centers: 1) Shaquille O'neal 2) Wilt Chamberlain 3) David Robinson 4) Hakeem Olujawon 5) Dwight Howard
Good list. Though i'd probably swap KG with Kemp.

lbj23clutch
05-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Pointless rant acknowledged. If a player wasn't remembered during his time, he doesn't deserve to be in this discussion. Clearly his athleticism wasn't translatable to the basketball floor. I am including strength (James White) or body control while moving with a basketball (James White) to be part of the requirements. Some people are ridiculously insanely athletic but can't control their athleticism on a basketball floor. This isn't a combine test, but rather an ability to use athleticism. How many facials does James White have? How many crossovers, step backs, ankle breakers does Speedy Claxton have?

My list:

Steve Nash? :wtf:

And Magic's athleticism is not really eye popping, I'm not saying he isn't a great athlete, but there's PLENTY of point guards that were better athletes.

Other then that good list.

NastyCrossover1
05-26-2012, 01:16 AM
I heard David Thompson could jump and place a quarter on the top of the backboard.

sundizz
05-26-2012, 01:20 AM
Steve Nash? :wtf:

And Magic's athleticism is not really eye popping, I'm not saying he isn't a great athlete, but there's PLENTY of point guards that were better athletes.

Other then that good list.

To me, Steve Nash is an ultimate athlete. He has perfect body control...in the history of the NBA never have I seen a player with his ability to stay in balance no matter the speed, or what he is doing. He has other wordly agility and we just don't recognize that (normally) as athleticism because it isn't as apparent to the eye. It is easy to see when someone moves really quickly, or someone has blazing end to end speed. It isn't easy to see when someone can take a mini step to the left while going full speed so that instead of running into a defender they go right around then.

I've never ever seen anyone stop Steve Nash one on one. If you put single coverage on him and isolate him, he will go by or score on any player in the league. He is able to control his body and get to the rim at will, and when he gets to the rim he has the ability to stop on a dime, stay in balance, fade away, switch hands, etc. Additionally, he has an undying motor. He doesn't get tired on the floor and can play at an insane pace the whole game.

Magic Johnson; that's just an opinion. In his younger days he was blazing fast end to end, super strong, amazing body control, even better agility, and explosive. He just never had that great of a first step or leaping ability compared to other super athletes.

CavaliersFTW
05-26-2012, 02:04 AM
I heard David Thompson could jump and place a quarter on the top of the backboard.
David Thompson denies it, and more importantly so does common sense

KevinNYC
05-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Props to those pointing out that Bill Russell deserves strong mention here.
In addition to being a leaper, he claimed he was the fastest guy from one side of the lane to the other side.....this is why he's referred to as the best defensive center of all time over Wilt who also was shot-blocking and rebounding demon. Russell quickness helped shut multiple people down, not just his man.

Also props to the Steve Nash mention for the simple reason that before you name the most athletic guys, you need to define exactly what athleticism is.

NumberSix
05-26-2012, 03:05 AM
Lol @ the greatest athlete in NBA history by far being #3. Cool story.

IGOTGAME
05-26-2012, 03:12 AM
Blake Griffin's athletism is being greatly overrated...lol @ Barkley and KG not being more athletic than Blake.

Shaquille O'Neal
05-26-2012, 03:30 AM
Where is Tractor Traylor, Popeye Jones, Eric Dampier, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Shawn Bradley?

This list is useless.

NastyCrossover1
05-26-2012, 03:31 AM

It must have been David Robinson.

dunksby
05-26-2012, 04:05 AM
We all know only Wilt could pull that shit :lol