PDA

View Full Version : Andre Drummond

Lebron23
05-27-2012, 05:47 PM
He's an athletic freak, but he has an average rookie season in the NCAA. The team that will draft Drummond needs to let him train under Hakeem Olajuwon, Bill Walton, or Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

I hope he won't fail in the next level because the NBA needs another dominant Center. He's only 18 or 19 yrs.old. Drummond will still improve his game as he grows older. Kwame became an NBA Draft Bust because the Wizards failed to develop his offensive game.

Owl
05-27-2012, 06:00 PM
He's an athletic freak, but he has an average rookie season in the NCAA. The team that will draft Drummond needs to let him train under Hakeem Olajuwon, Bill Walton, or Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

I hope he won't fail in the next level because the NBA needs another dominant Center. He's only 18 or 19 yrs.old. Drummond will still improve his game as he grows older. Kwame became an NBA Draft Bust because the Wizards failed to develop his offensive game.
Kwame Brown was a draft bust because he had tiny hands, because he was never a number one pick level talent anyway (scouts hadn't and arguably never did get a grasp on scouting HS level talent competing vs other high school players, which in turn leads to my next point), people especially MJ overrated him based on positive workouts vs Chandler, people were way too high on High School players at that point anyway. Washington with MJ playing and still effectively managing the Bulls (with a coach of his choosing, and somewhat in his pocket) was not the right place to nurture whatever talent Kwame had, but to be honest I don't think he had that much to begin with.

I'm not aware of Drummond having a physical flaw like tiny hands. The bigger question is his drive and whether he's committed to becoming the player he can be.

Whilst I would certainly look to get him help from any source possible, the idea that legendary big men, some of whom present kids haven't heard of, will be a pancea to all their problems (the notion that training with Kareem will give you his skyhook or with Hakeem will give you his dream shake and footwork) is flawed. Not that this is (necessarily) what the poster is saying but a lot of people seem to look at it this way.

CelticBaller
05-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Kwame became a draft bust because he was bad to begin with and it was a terrible draft

RoseCity07
05-27-2012, 06:38 PM
This guy looks like he'll be a huge bust based on talent alone. I don't trust Uconn prospects after Thabeet.

DStebb716
05-27-2012, 07:49 PM
This guy looks like he'll be a huge bust based on talent alone. I don't trust Uconn prospects after Thabeet.

:facepalm Drummond is a one-and-done. And basing your argument off one player is just dumb.

In this new world of one-and-dones, you can't really base your opinion of a player off the school because it takes a lot more than a year to get a player to really fit into the system that other players in the system had.

DStebb716
05-27-2012, 07:49 PM
I honestly think Drummond is going to be a very fine pro. He's another one of those guys that I think didn't need the college game, he needed the pro game.

JohnnySic
05-27-2012, 08:00 PM
I think he'll do well in the league.

Sarcastic
05-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Drummond will be the steal of the draft. He should be the number #1 pick, but because of a bunch of turmoil at UCONN, someone is going to get him lower than where he should be picked.

Rekindled
05-27-2012, 08:10 PM
he is the 2nd best player in the draft after davis, any team that draft guys beal or mkg over Drummond will be DUUUUUUUUUUUUMB

kurt_rambis
05-27-2012, 08:12 PM
his offensive game is extremely shaky. no post moves whatsoever and a very awkward jump shot....yes he's young and athletic but i think people are too high on him. could be another deandre jordan/javale mcgee type

Sarcastic
05-27-2012, 08:13 PM
his offensive game is extremely shaky. no post moves whatsoever and a very awkward jump shot....yes he's young and athletic but i think people are too high on him. could be another deandre jordan/javale mcgee type

How many 18 year olds have a developed post game? And his shot is not awkward for a big man.

kurt_rambis
05-27-2012, 08:19 PM
How many 18 year olds have a developed post game? And his shot is not awkward for a big man.
jared sullinger, for example. he's had a very solid post game all of his college career. he obviously doesn't have the athleticism or the NBA body drummond has, but it's very possible for young guys to have good post moves

drummond's jumper is just weird looking. davis isn't consistent with his shot, but he at least has decent form

Rekindled
05-27-2012, 08:20 PM

deandre jordan is a 2nd round pick, mcgee is a late first round pick , neither of them have the physical gift Drummond has. Drummond was pegged as the for sure no.1 pick before the season.

RoseCity07
05-27-2012, 08:22 PM
:facepalm Drummond is a one-and-done. And basing your argument off one player is just dumb.

In this new world of one-and-dones, you can't really base your opinion of a player off the school because it takes a lot more than a year to get a player to really fit into the system that other players in the system had.

I gotta admit that that was a terrible school for him to pick. He never got the ball because the guards dominated the ball. However, I don't like the way he moves. He's number 2 by default because of his potential. There are a lot of players going after him that could have much more of an impact.

chips93
05-27-2012, 08:22 PM
some of yall didnt watch any uconn games this year. drummond disappeared on a regular basis, and has a poor motor.

97 bulls
05-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Kwame Brown was a draft bust because he had tiny hands, because he was never a number one pick level talent anyway (scouts hadn't and arguably never did get a grasp on scouting HS level talent competing vs other high school players, which in turn leads to my next point), people especially MJ overrated him based on positive workouts vs Chandler, people were way too high on High School players at that point anyway. Washington with MJ playing and still effectively managing the Bulls (with a coach of his choosing, and somewhat in his pocket) was not the right place to nurture whatever talent Kwame had, but to be honest I don't think he had that much to begin with.

I'm not aware of Drummond having a physical flaw like tiny hands. The bigger question is his drive and whether he's committed to becoming the player he can be.

Whilst I would certainly look to get him help from any source possible, the idea that legendary big men, some of whom present kids haven't heard of, will be a pancea to all their problems (the notion that training with Kareem will give you his skyhook or with Hakeem will give you his dream shake and footwork) is flawed. Not that this is (necessarily) what the poster is saying but a lot of people seem to look at it this way.
Brown had a terrible work ethic. And was mentally weak. It had nothing to do with his hands.

Saying that, brown couldve made a name for himself if he decided to become a bonafide bigman defender. Cuz he was solid half-assing it.

Collie
05-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Drummond makes a guy like McGee look polished. He makes Bosh look like Ron Artest in terms of softness. He doesn't go up strong, stands around, gets outrebounded by guys he should be dominating.

The guy shot 29% free throw! He's probably the worst mentally I've seen in the past few years. Chew on that for a while.

G-train
05-27-2012, 09:27 PM
His draft position for mine would be heavily dependant on his workouts and interviews.

Sarcastic
10-14-2012, 07:32 AM
he is the 2nd best player in the draft after davis, any team that draft guys beal or mkg over Drummond will be DUUUUUUUUUUUUMB

Thank goodness he ended up with a solid team like the Pistons, instead of all the scrub teams that passed on him.

HylianNightmare
10-14-2012, 09:24 AM
dude is going to show all those teams that passed up on him what a mistake that was,

JellyBean
10-14-2012, 10:20 AM
As a UConn grad, I was worried about AD going to the NBA early. I figured that another year of college would improve his game and make him stronger. But so far in his first NBA preseason, he is looking pretty good. As someone already stated, I think that AD is going to be the steal of the draft.

I know that it is only preseason. I am sure that in an 82 game season AD will have some ups and downs. Bt I think that overall he is going to be ok and come out as the ROY.

JohnnySic
10-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Drummund and Sullinger are the steals of the draft.

RRR3
10-14-2012, 10:27 AM
He may be the WORST free throw shooter of all time doe :coleman:

DetroitPiston
10-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Never understood why teams were willing to pass over him. One thing to draft due to need and all that but either way.

There's a reason that despite being bad, guys like Kwame and Darko are in this league for so long, they're big. Big players are hard to find.

What also makes him so intriguing is that at 19, he's 6'10 (Don't know the exact height) and 270. He's got a couple years of growth left. Also, having heard about the situation at UConn, it's easy to see why he didn't look so great at the college level.

If Drummond pans out and Monroe continues at the level that he's been playing, that could be a frontcourt that could possibly dominate the league for years.

I'm excited for this Pistons team, haven't been this excited for a long time. It was fun being dominant but it's the build-ups that make it the most fun.

embersyc
10-14-2012, 11:10 AM
some of yall didnt watch any uconn games this year. drummond disappeared on a regular basis, and has a poor motor.

Way to have your own opinion. :sleeping

Here is his poor motor in action last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkQg65PGqSo

copper
10-14-2012, 12:27 PM

yeah, just a terrible motor and pure lazyness

longtime lurker
10-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I knew Andre Drummond would be another Demarcus cousins. Guys like him are proof that GM's don't know what the hell they're doing and why bad teams stay bad(I'm looking at you MJ)

IGotACoolStory
10-14-2012, 03:07 PM

In his fairness, he said UConn.

And at UConn, he wasn't exactly Dennis Rodman.

Clippersfan86
10-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Oh my lord. That dunk down the middle on the fastbreak was VICIOUS. :cheers: He literally t-bagged Ilysova.

Clippersfan86
10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Most underrated and impressive thing about Drummond for me is his soft touch in the paint. Reminds me of Bynum how dispite his huge frame he just has that ability to finish tip ins and soft finger rolls etc in traffic. Just has amazing coordination.

I'd probably take this guy over Cousins. Same versatile skillset but without the attitude issues. I think he has a chance to become the best center in the game and Pistons are in AMAZING shape with Drummond and Monroe as their starting frontcourt for the next decade. Now they just gotta shed players like Charlie V and Stuckey who are very talented but don't fit into the new rebuild mold.

upside24
10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Nice game. Hope he develops into a good adversary for Dwight. Could have some great matchups in the future.

KyrieTheFuture
10-14-2012, 03:40 PM
There wasn't a player in the draft I wanted more than Drummond. A Kyrie Drummond duo would have been so sick if he lived up to some of his potential. I think this draft has an interesting amount of boom or bust picks (Drummond, Waiters, Sullinger)

chips93
10-14-2012, 04:31 PM

so its better to be different and inaccurte, than correct but unoriginal

says a lot about people that its better to be wrong, and outlandish, draw attention to yourself, than just call it like you see it.

fact is drummon played charmin soft at uconn.

if you paid any attention, you'd have known that

IGOTGAME
10-14-2012, 04:37 PM
so its better to be different and inaccurte, than correct but unoriginal

says a lot about people that its better to be wrong, and outlandish, draw attention to yourself, than just call it like you see it.

fact is drummon played charmin soft at uconn.

if you paid any attention, you'd have known that
I paid attention and he did not even play close to soft. The team was in disarray(Napier and the other point(can't spell his name) were allowed to do whatever they wanted). That is the reason that Lamb and Drummond underperformed. Anyone could see that both were uber talented and had NBA games. Drummond showed his shotblocking, strength, quickness and hands. It was a big leap to think that if you put him in an actual offense he could do these things.

Don't be surprised when he develops and offensive game and starts shooting free throws at a decent clip either. Kid has all the talent in the world. He just needs to mature. Seems like that is starting to happen.

chips93
10-14-2012, 04:46 PM
I paid attention and he did not even play close to soft. The team was in disarray(Napier and the other point(can't spell his name) were allowed to do whatever they wanted). That is the reason that Lamb and Drummond underperformed. Anyone could see that both were uber talented and had NBA games. Drummond showed his shotblocking, strength, quickness and hands. It was a big leap to think that if you put him in an actual offense he could do these things

he may have some excuses as to WHY he played soft, like you specified, boatright, napier, and lamb showed little interest in getting him involved, broken nose, calhoun had little interest in developing him into an nba big man

but regardless, the fact remains, he played soft. he was 13th in the big east in defensive rebounding, despite his outstanding physical traits. you cant be that average on the boards, with his athleticism/size, without plating soft.
he routinely got outmuscled in the paint

dont get it wrong, im not saying he cant be a really good nba player, im saying he played soft in college. even if he had excuses, the fact remains, he DID play soft in college.

IGOTGAME
10-14-2012, 04:51 PM
he may have some excuses as to WHY he played soft, like you specified, boatright, napier, and lamb showed little interest in getting him involved, broken nose, calhoun had little interest in developing him into an nba big man

but regardless, the fact remains, he played soft. he was 13th in the big east in defensive rebounding, despite his outstanding physical traits. you cant be that average on the boards, with his athleticism/size, without plating soft.
he routinely got outmuscled in the paint

dont get it wrong, im not saying he cant be a really good nba player, im saying he played soft in college. even if he had excuses, the fact remains, he DID play soft in college.

didn't look soft to me. He looked young and uncoached. He was outskillled. He was rarely outmuscled and looked like a manchild on many occasions.

oh, and you can be that average on the boards if you don't understand positioning and are constantly worried about foul trouble. combined with the fact you are playing with other good big men for that level and good rebounding guards.

I wouldn't call it soft. But, I guess it is fine that you do. I saw a raw player in a horrible situation. Before the draft I was saying the same thing(http://207.58.151.151/forum/showthread.php?t=269322). You don't see guys like this every year, it makes no sense for a team like Cleveland or Toronto to pass him up for a run of the mill player.

chips93
10-14-2012, 05:13 PM
didn't look soft to me. He looked young and uncoached. He was outskillled. He was rarely outmuscled and looked like a manchild on many occasions.

i guess, we'll just have to agree to disagree

oh, and you can be that average on the boards if you don't understand positioning and are constantly worried about foul trouble. combined with the fact you are playing with other good big men for that level and good rebounding guards.

if you are as athletic as drummond is, and you arent soft, there is just no way you are that average on the boards.

he just didnt play hard all the time.

I wouldn't call it soft. But, I guess it is fine that you do. I saw a raw player in a horrible situation.

its fair to say hes raw, he is, and to give that as a reason as to why he struggled, but at the same time, its not fair to just assume that he will actually develop.

You don't see guys like this every year, it makes no sense for a team like Cleveland or Toronto to pass him up for a run of the mill player.

i guess we'll just have to wait and see

hes off to a nice start though

zac
10-14-2012, 06:22 PM
I really like this Pistons make up. I never thought I'd say I am super excited to watch post-Rasheed era Pistons.

outbreak
10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
I've only seen the stat line from this game (I'll watch it tonight) but I hope he keeps up solid numbers when the season starts. I really want to see this Pistons line up develop, in a few years they could have one of the top front courts in the league.

lilgodfather1
10-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I really wanted this kid. Other than Davis I would have taken him over any prospect personally. He could literally be one of the GOAT C's, or one of the worst.

outbreak
10-14-2012, 09:18 PM
I really wanted this kid. Other than Davis I would have taken him over any prospect personally. He could literally be one of the GOAT C's, or one of the worst.

I hoped he'd be good but i expected him to bust

lilgodfather1
10-14-2012, 09:33 PM
I hoped he'd be good but i expected him to bust
I don't "exepct" him to bust, but for him to reach his massive potential things will have to be perfect for him. I don't see things going perfectly, but he landed in a pretty good (realistic) situation for him to reach it.

The top realistic situations for him to reach his full potential would have been imo

Cleveland
Washington
BKN
Detroit

Good PG's, lots of playing time.

However if BK gets that pick they likely trade it for Howard so I guess that's moot.

The best situations for him period would have been Miami, Lakers, Clippers, Celtics, Thunder, and Cavaliers, but only one of those were even close to realistic.

dd24
10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
He's had a very good preseason so far. It gives Pistons fans something to be excited about. Of course, it is just the preseason. We've seen other guys light it up in the preseason too. Daye has had awesome preseasons before.... We just need Drummond to keep working hard and developing his game. If he's starting by the end of the season I think it will be a good rookie year for him.