PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Nick Young
05-30-2012, 09:08 PM
f*ck stats, advanced stats and other BS.

CP3, Deron Williams and Deron Rose-all players who have accomplished NOTHING and lead their team nowhere beyond conference finals repeatedly get more credit than Tony Parker who has rings, Finals MVP and is the best player on the best team in the NBA.

When will we face reality ISH?

fCK ppg, apg, spg

Tony Parker is clearly the best PG in the game.

christian1923
05-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Drose

IGotACoolStory
05-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Deron Rose > Tony Parker

ihoopallday
05-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Sure, but you gotta admit he's blessed to be in that system. I think all those pg you named would also do well playing for coach Pop.

Nick Young
05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Sure, but you gotta admit he's blessed to be in that system. I think all those pg you named would also do well playing for coach Pop.
Parker gets more high percentage shots Rose and doesn't risk his body and hurt himself all the time because his floater and teardrop is his best weapon whereas Rose flies into people fullspeed and does crazy acrobatic finishes which are impressive but get him hurt

parker is automatic from midrange now

Parker has championship experience and is finals MVP.

Advantage: TONY

Pushxx
05-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Parker has polished his game beautifully. His strengths and tendencies fit the Spurs' style perfectly.

Nick Young
05-30-2012, 10:20 PM
CP3 and D-Rose have just one advantage over Parker-personal stats

Parker is better at everything else, also sacrifices his own numbers for the good of the team.

On a shit team like hornets where he was given free reign to do whatever he wants, he could easily be a 30ppg player shooting high percentages

oh the horror
05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
So fu*k everything that can actually measure him being "the best PG in the game".....he's just the best, just because he's the best?

Okay.

Nick Young
05-30-2012, 10:27 PM
So fu*k everything that can actually measure him being "the best PG in the game".....he's just the best, just because he's the best?

Okay.
If you go by stats to measure a player, Joe Johnson and Monta Ellis are better shooting guards than Manu Ginobili and Ray Allen:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

SacJB Shady
05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Deron Rose > Tony Parker

To be completely honest i think parker is better than rose. Not as flashy, but more polished and clever. When parker is hot, he's better than anyone. He's probably a better scorer as well because parker is one of the most efficient in the paint. Year after year he shoots a high percentage. Rose may score more, but he isn't as efficient. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is rings.

305Baller
05-30-2012, 10:39 PM
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/Lettuce.jpg

Nick Young
05-30-2012, 10:41 PM
yeh rose shoots like 40% and isnt as clutch as parker, plus plays in a weaker conference. How come everyone thinks he's better than Parker?:confusedshrug:

nathanjizzle
05-30-2012, 11:09 PM
rose is only 23, only played in 3 postseasons, 1 postseason with a contending team.

hes better than parker deal with it.

icewill36
05-30-2012, 11:10 PM
yeh rose shoots like 40% and isnt as clutch as parker, plus plays in a weaker conference. How come everyone thinks he's better than Parker?:confusedshrug:

because he lead a team that is not as talented to the best record

onhcetum
05-30-2012, 11:20 PM
You guys don't watch basketball (at least the Spurs). He didn't have a shot when he first came in the league, but he has had a killer mid range shot since 2006. He's been running layup drills on opposing team's defenses as early as 2003. He's always been this good (since 2006). It's just now that he's getting love/publicity since the Spurs are on this incredible run. He's shot over 50% four times including two seasons of 55% and 52%... All this talk and hype about "scoring point guards" in Westbrook/Rose/Paul/DWilliams... I'm pretty Tony Parker has the most 40+ pt games out of all of them combined (I know he's been in the league longer than them, but I'm talking relatively speaking when you take into account games played/ratio).

Nick Young
10-21-2012, 01:28 PM
because he lead a team that is not as talented to the best record
Rose goes down and Chicago still get a top 2 seed. Hmm.

Meanwhile Parker plays with two grandpas Duncan and Manu who plays 55-60 games a year, and random roleplayers no one has ever heard of.

Ass Dan
10-21-2012, 06:01 PM
f*ck stats, advanced stats and other BS.

CP3, Deron Williams and Deron Rose-all players who have accomplished NOTHING and lead their team nowhere beyond conference finals repeatedly get more credit than Tony Parker who has rings, Finals MVP and is the best player on the best team in the NBA.

When will we face reality ISH?

fCK ppg, apg, spg

Tony Parker is clearly the best PG in the game.

stick to trolling the OCL, this forum is clearly beyond you.

tikay0
10-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Parker has Ginobli and Duncan. Rose in his sophomore year had the best mid range % in the league. He abandoned it when he needed to utilize the 3, in his 3rd year.

Rose has a bunch of guys that can't create a shot worth a damn. Boozer is no type of low post threat at all anymore.

Nick Young
10-21-2012, 06:13 PM
stick to trolling the OCL, this forum is clearly beyond you.
This isn't trolling. Why do people continue to underrate Tony Parker, seems like no one ever watches him play, if he was in LA, Chicago or New York people would be calling him top 5 overall in the league.

RRR3
10-21-2012, 06:33 PM
He's nowhere close to CP3, that's for sure. CP3 is a top 4 player in the NBA, could even argue he's 3rd. His impact is massive. Tony Parker has never been and never will be close to a top 5 player in the NBA. After CP3, I think Westbrook and a healthy D-Rose, along with Deron Williams are all clearly superior to Parker as well. Rondo is more debatable I suppose, but I think Rondo is better overall. Parker is probably better than Steve Nash at this point, but it's debatable. IMO, he's the 6th best PG in the NBA at best. He's a great player, but you're overrating him.

Nick Young
10-21-2012, 06:35 PM
He's nowhere close to CP3, that's for sure. CP3 is a top 4 player in the NBA, could even argue he's 3rd. His impact is massive. Tony Parker has never been and never will be close to a top 5 player in the NBA. After CP3, I think Westbrook and a healthy D-Rose, along with Deron Williams are all clearly superior to Parker as well. Rondo is more debatable I suppose, but I think Rondo is better overall. Parker is probably better than Steve Nash at this point, but it's debatable. IMO, he's the 6th best PG in the NBA at best. He's a great player, but you're overrating him.
I think it's overrating to call perennial second round exit CP3 a top 4 player in the NBA, a same top 4 player who lead his team to a 56 point home defeat in the playoffs to the Melo/Chauncey/Martin/JR Smith/Birdman Nuggets.

Fiasco
10-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I think it's overrating to call perennial second round exit CP3 a top 4 player in the NBA, a same top 4 player who lead his team to a 56 point home defeat in the playoffs to the Melo/Chauncey/Martin/JR Smith/Birdman Nuggets.

Don't breed.

joeyjoejoe
10-22-2012, 02:51 AM
Parkers good but not on the same level as cp3

westside_baller
10-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Brilliant thread title.

KOBE143
10-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Career
Parker > DRose

As a player
DRose >>>> Parker

HorryIsMyMVP
10-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Tony has never won anything as the best player on his team. His titles were him as the 3rd option of a big 3. Now because Duncan and Manu are old and the Spurs get bounced routinely from the play off's were gonna say it was all Parker? Even though now Parker is all they got and they suck?

ninephive
10-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Tony has never won anything as the best player on his team. His titles were him as the 3rd option of a big 3. Now because Duncan and Manu are old and the Spurs get bounced routinely from the play off's were gonna say it was all Parker? Even though now Parker is all they got and they suck?
A third-option Finals MVP.

ninephive
10-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Parker was 5th in MVP voting THIS SEASON, and with a very small gap between him and Kobe/CP3.

And yes, he is nowhere near a player he has knocked out of the playoffs twice (most recently with a broom). 3 championships, 1 Finals MVP <<<<<<<<< 2 playoff series wins

HorryIsMyMVP
10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
A third-option Finals MVP.
They played the Cavs. I mean dear god. Tim Duncan is one of the greats. And the Spurs only go as far as he takes them. Even though Tony Parker is a huge mismatch for those terrible point guards Cleveland had.

10-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Tony is like the Rondo of the 2000 decade.

Lucky to have landed on a team with great players and was not anointed as a franchise savior as a lottery pick.

He benefited from not playing in a perennial crappy franchises like the Bucks or Bobcats.

Put Tony Parker in any of those teams since he was drafted in 2001 and he would fade into obscurity and no one would care about him (except maybe the French).

ninephive
10-22-2012, 11:14 AM
They played the Cavs. I mean dear god. Tim Duncan is one of the greats. And the Spurs only go as far as he takes them. Even though Tony Parker is a huge mismatch for those terrible point guards Cleveland had.
Yah, the same Lebron-led Cavs who dismantled the Pistons defense the round before. And a Tony Parker-led Spurs swept that team. Wow, this is really a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guarantee a few shots go down for Lebron and that finals series ends up 4-2, there is nowhere near the disrespect for that team. It's like people magically forgot the performance that Lebron put on the series before. All I'm saying is let's not disrespect a PG who earned a Finals MVP by saying he is nowhere near a player he has taken out twice in the playoffs (swept this time, mind you) and typically has no trouble in the regular season with either. As a Spurs fan, we LOVE when Chris Paul takes the court...same with Steve Nash. Parker matches up well with these guys and usually has no problem getting the W in those situations. But yah, keep telling yourself he's nowhere close.

Nick Young
10-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Yah, the same Lebron-led Cavs who dismantled the Pistons defense the round before. And a Tony Parker-led Spurs swept that team. Wow, this is really a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guarantee a few shots go down for Lebron and that finals series ends up 4-2, there is nowhere near the disrespect for that team. It's like people magically forgot the performance that Lebron put on the series before. All I'm saying is let's not disrespect a PG who earned a Finals MVP by saying he is nowhere near a player he has taken out twice in the playoffs (swept this time, mind you) and typically has no trouble in the regular season with either. As a Spurs fan, we LOVE when Chris Paul takes the court...same with Steve Nash. Parker matches up well with these guys and usually has no problem getting the W in those situations. But yah, keep telling yourself he's nowhere close.
Yes, I've never seen Parker get shut down by anyone, ever, but I have often seen him shutting down opposing elite PGs. Parker's defense is mad underrated.

He has the rings, he puts up the big playoff games, he plays hard on both ends of the floor, he is extremely consistent, dunno why clowns always discredit him. The Spurs have been Parkers team the past two seasons and the regular season record doesn't lie. In the playoffs they have been extremely unlucky with injuries.

Nick Young
10-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Tony is like the Rondo of the 2000 decade.

Lucky to have landed on a team with great players and was not anointed as a franchise savior as a lottery pick.

He benefited from not playing in a perennial crappy franchises like the Bucks or Bobcats.

Put Tony Parker in any of those teams since he was drafted in 2001 and he would fade into obscurity and no one would care about him (except maybe the French).
Do you really think Tony Parker's teardrop would not be as unstoppable as it is if he didn't get drafted by the spurs?

I am convinced Tony Parker's tear drop is the best shot in basketball at the moment.

ballup
10-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Do you really think Tony Parker's teardrop would not be as unstoppable as it is if he didn't get drafted by the spurs?

I am convinced Tony Parker's tear drop is the best shot in basketball at the moment.
Even better than Kobe's fadeaway?

Nick Young
10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Even better than Kobe's fadeaway?
Yes.

mark
10-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Kyrie Irving is much better overall than Tony Parker. Rondo can embarrass and humiliate Parker on a nightly basis.

Nick Young
10-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Kyrie Irving is much better overall than Tony Parker. Rondo can embarrass and humiliate Parker on a nightly basis.
that never happens:roll: :roll: :roll:

RRR3
10-22-2012, 03:15 PM
that never happens:roll: :roll: :roll:
Last time they played each other it did.

Rondo: 17/3/11 53% shooting
Parker: 10/1/2 36% shooting

Legends66NBA7
10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey, since you like using GM survey's for one player... let's see who they picked for the best PG in the game:

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 69.0%
2. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 20.7%
3. Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 6.9%
4. Tony Parker, San Antonio -- 3.4%
Last year: Derrick Rose -- 59.3%

There's 3 of them and you can more than argue Steve Nash and Russell Westbrook (even though brook is more of a combo guard).

RRR3
10-22-2012, 03:20 PM
So much for Parker "always outplaying" the other top PG's.

Parker vs D-Rose (6 games)

Rose: 26/4/6/0/1 on 50/25/90
Parker: 18/4/7/1/0 on 50/0/59

Vs. Deron Williams in the playoffs (5 games)

D-Will: 26/4/8/2/0 on 53/47/78
Parker: 20/3/7/2/0 on 48/67/66

Steve Nash does well against him as well
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=parketo01&p2=nashst01

RRR3
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey, since you like using GM survey's for one player... let's see who they picked for the best PG in the game:

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 69.0%
2. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 20.7%
3. Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 6.9%
4. Tony Parker, San Antonio -- 3.4%
Last year: Derrick Rose -- 59.3%

There's 3 of them and you can more than argue Steve Nash and Russell Westbrook (even though brook is more of a combo guard).
Westbrook disastrously underrated in that poll :facepalm

Haymaker
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes, I've never seen Parker get shut down by anyone, ever, but I have often seen him shutting down opposing elite PGs.

He played horribly against Westbrook. I don't know if you can call it shutting him down, but he did a great job on Tony forcing him to take ill advised shots.

Celtic_Pride
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Westbrook disastrously underrated in that poll :facepalm

GM's are not stupid to consider Westbrook as a PG

BlueandGold
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
You guys don't watch basketball (at least the Spurs). He didn't have a shot when he first came in the league, but he has had a killer mid range shot since 2006. He's been running layup drills on opposing team's defenses as early as 2003. He's always been this good (since 2006). It's just now that he's getting love/publicity since the Spurs are on this incredible run. He's shot over 50% four times including two seasons of 55% and 52%... All this talk and hype about "scoring point guards" in Westbrook/Rose/Paul/DWilliams... I'm pretty Tony Parker has the most 40+ pt games out of all of them combined (I know he's been in the league longer than them, but I'm talking relatively speaking when you take into account games played/ratio).
This is true

I remember multiple times in during sometime from 05-10 Parker led or was among the league leaders in points in the paint, as a point guard. All of the other names on the list were either big men or lengthy/oversized forwards such as Lebron who have clear height advantages over 99% of the other players (who have to guard him) at that position.

ninephive
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
So much for Parker "always outplaying" the other top PG's.

Parker vs D-Rose (6 games)

Rose: 26/4/6/0/1 on 50/25/90
Parker: 18/4/7/1/0 on 50/0/59

Vs. Deron Williams in the playoffs (5 games)

D-Will: 26/4/8/2/0 on 53/47/78
Parker: 20/3/7/2/0 on 48/67/66

Steve Nash does well against him as well
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=parketo01&p2=nashst01
Who are you quoting?

hon
01-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Underrated just like Tim Duncan

01-22-2013, 07:03 AM

With his tear drop he'd be putting up big numbers maybe 19 - 22 PPG and 7-8 APG but he would be doing in obscurity at worst or at best be viewed as a stat padder a la Monte Ellis or Brandon Jennings.

ninephive
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
With his tear drop he'd be putting up big numbers maybe 19 - 22 PPG and 7-8 APG but he would be doing in obscurity at worst or at best be viewed as a stat padder a la Monte Ellis or Brandon Jennings.
Not sure I get what you're saying...those are the numbers he IS putting up:

PPG: 19.7
APG: 7.3

Money 23
01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Tony Parker has NEVER been the best PG in the association.

Anaximandro1
01-22-2013, 06:03 PM
He is one of the best for sure.

Although Parker is a capable scorer since 2006,he is playing the best ball of his career right now.His decision-making has improved significantly through the years.I think he is the best PG for the Spurs.

Money 23
01-22-2013, 06:07 PM
He still can't play a lick of defense. He has no creative handle, and he isn't the best distributor / passer / court vision.

How could he EVER be the best PG in the game?

Nick Young
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
He still can't play a lick of defense. He has no creative handle, and he isn't the best distributor / passer / court vision.

How could he EVER be the best PG in the game?
He plays great defense.

He doesn't need to be creative with handles because he can blow by everyone and gets to the rim at will.

3 rings.

CP3 has one conference finals and that's it.

What's the point of fancy passes when the simply pass following Popovich's system is more effective and less risky?

Tony Parker will never get the credit he deserves because he's french and there are always flashier American guards with less substance stealing his limelight.

01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Not sure I get what you're saying...those are the numbers he IS putting up:

PPG: 19.7
APG: 7.3

It goes back to the original reply I had for OP.

Go back and read it and you will understand.

Money 23
01-22-2013, 06:18 PM
He plays great defense.
No he doesn't, he routinely gets destroyed by PGs in the playoffs of similar or higher quality. I've seen it time and time again.

He doesn't need to be creative with handles because he can blow by everyone and gets to the rim at will.
In this soft league sure, but he's boring as hell. Kind of fitting given who he plays with ...

3 rings
Tim Duncan

CP3 has one conference finals and that's it.
CP3 destroyed Parker when they faced each other. As did Deron Williams.

And are you being serious? When did CP3 have prime Duncan on his team? CP3 was the best player on his team, Parker was never.

Let alone the best PG in the league, stop talking crazy.

Ken_Masters
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Every time i see Parker play it becomes more and more obvious that no one can guard him, and no one can stop him when he gets into the paint. I think he's one of the top 3 point guards in the league. I would put Rose first, Paul second, and Parker third.