PDA

View Full Version : How good of a defender was Ron Harper in Chicago?

Kobe 4 The Win
05-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Someone help me quantify this.

necya
05-31-2012, 07:00 AM
very very good defender. he was enough tall to gaurd 3 positions, and made a great job against the scorers. plus, he fit well the systems, intelligent player.

Kobe 4 The Win
05-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Any hard evidence? Was he a lock down one-on-one defender or a team defense guy?

KevinNYC
05-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Any hard evidence? Was he a lock down one-on-one defender or a team defense guy?
I always thought he was a great defender who accepted his role after being a near superstar earlier in his career.

In terms of team defense can you imagine bringing up the ball against a press and seeing Jordan, Pippen and Harper facing you? All tall and quick, all with long arms. The three of them could cover the whole court.

sekachu
05-31-2012, 09:21 AM
very very good defender. he was enough tall to gaurd 3 positions, and made a great job against the scorers. plus, he fit well the systems, intelligent player.

Pretty much. He devoted himself as a defender. Great hand in steal and interrupt.

Teanett
05-31-2012, 09:29 AM
jordan, pippen, harper and rodman were all intelligent, quick and strong.
they would hardly give up any mismatches.

trig
05-31-2012, 11:18 AM
It allowed them to let Pippen guard the PG and disrupt the offense. Pip, MJ, Harper can pretty much guard the 1, 2 and 3 position whatever matchup they like to take advantage.

Jasper
05-31-2012, 12:08 PM
exceptional.

I saw him track down a break away and stop a layup or a dunk.

He was a perfect PG , converted from a SG at 6'5" speed , quickness , long arms and could bust a road block screen.
Dude was perfect compliment for Jordan and Pip and quite frankly the above two rely'ed on him stopping fast breaks.

97 bulls
05-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Ron Harper was a beast defensively. Big, athletic, and smart. He, along with Pippen and Jordan were scary good defensively on the perimeter. That bulls team was the greatest defensive team ever.

Kobe 4 The Win
05-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. Ron Harper was indeed a great defender and role player. Perhaps his injury was a blessing because it forced him to change his game. Superstar scorers don't always work that hard on defense. The second 3-Peat Bulls were awsome. I really enjoyed watching them play even as a Laker fan. Rodman was always one of my favorites.

Not to shit on Luc Longley but can you imaging that team with an active/athletic guy like Dwight Howard playing center? Scary.

Go Getter
05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
I'd bet dollars to donuts half of these guys never even seen him play they're just parroting popular opinion.

imdaman99
05-31-2012, 08:12 PM
i remember him on the clippers dropping 20 a game. he shitted on jordan in 1 game and locked him up too. so of course jordan recruits him like the p*ssy he is. fcuk jordan. no im not mad :mad:

:lol

Kobe 4 The Win
05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd bet dollars to donuts half of these guys never even seen him play they're just parroting popular opinion.

I saw him play many times but I didn't pay particular attention to him at the time because I was such a huge Rodman fan. I always knew he was valuable and I was very happy when the Lakers signed him. You can't over-state the value of having two big guards. Such a help on the defensive end of the court and if your point guard can also hit open threes, forget about it.

DuMa
05-31-2012, 08:30 PM
it was a nightmare for smaller PGs like stockton and GP to be defended by harper or jordan.

winwin
05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
it was a nightmare for smaller PGs like stockton and GP to be defended by harper or jordan.
shut up prostitute and go back to Vietnam

Go Getter
05-31-2012, 08:43 PM
I saw him play many times but I didn't pay particular attention to him at the time because I was such a huge Rodman fan. I always knew he was valuable and I was very happy when the Lakers signed him. You can't over-state the value of having two big guards. Such a help on the defensive end of the court and if your point guard can also hit open threes, forget about it.
Imho his defense was overrated. By the time he got to the Bulls his knees were shot. He couldn't log heavy minutes and guarding quick point was a chore. He benefited from a team that played excellent help d. If he was the point on a 30 win team he'd be exposed.

Smoke117
05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
i remember him on the clippers dropping 20 a game. he shitted on jordan in 1 game and locked him up too. so of course jordan recruits him like the p*ssy he is. fcuk jordan. no im not mad :mad:

:lol

Ron Harper joined the Bulls during the 94-95 season when Jordan was still retired. He was already on the team when Jordan came back with 20 or so odd games remaining.