PDA

View Full Version : OT: The size of earth..........

$ci
06-24-2006, 02:31 AM
http://www.*****.com/1.imagesH/13db9ddd.jpg
http://www.*****.com/1.imagesH/13db967.jpg
http://www.*****.com/1.imagesH/13db957.jpg
http://www.*****.com/1.imagesH/13db976.jpg
http://www.*****.com/1.imagesH/13db986.jpg

:eek: :eek:

shadow
06-24-2006, 02:34 AM
I had no idea venus was that big, or mars that small.
Some day Antares will make for a damned nice black hole.
Thanks for the pics...way cool.

Loki
06-24-2006, 02:34 AM
Pretty cool. Nice find.

Speaking of the empyreal, is anyone aware that astronomers recently discovered a "comet" 3 million light years across? It's bigger than some galaxy clusters, apparently, and travels at several thousand kilometers per second. Crazy. I can't even wrap my mind around something that size.

SupermanOnSteroids
06-24-2006, 02:35 AM
which planets and stars does jesus rule?

AirGauge23
06-24-2006, 02:36 AM
The size of earth..........

Are you a member at the BB.com forums?

$ci
06-24-2006, 02:36 AM

All of them.

$ci
06-24-2006, 02:37 AM
Are you a member at the BB.com forums?

heh, maybe.............

B-Low
06-24-2006, 02:37 AM
When you see just how small earth is in this universe it really makes people who think Earth has the only life look stupid

AirGauge23
06-24-2006, 02:38 AM
heh, maybe.............

Humm, what a coincidence that this topic was posted there too. :confusedshrug:

$ci
06-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Humm, what a coincidence that this topic was posted there too. :confusedshrug:

Good eyes. I thought I was the only bodybuilder here...........

SupermanOnSteroids
06-24-2006, 02:40 AM
is that bb4u or just bb?

$ci
06-24-2006, 02:41 AM
is that bb4u or just bb?

www.bodybuilding.com

SupermanOnSteroids
06-24-2006, 02:47 AM
yea, thats the site i use to order my supps.

check out bodybuildingforyou.com forums.

Loki
06-24-2006, 02:48 AM
When you see just how small earth is in this universe it really makes people who think Earth has the only life look stupid

Fermi would like to have a word with you. ;) :D

(why don't we have a freaking winking smiley? Arrrrggghh)

L.Kizzle
06-24-2006, 03:06 AM
Sh1t, I must have been a sleep in Science class.

I don't ever remember hearing about Sirius, Pullox, Arcturus, Rigel, Aldebaran, Betelgeus and Antares.

What exacly are they?

SupermanOnSteroids
06-24-2006, 03:07 AM
the new satellite radios.

B-Low
06-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Stars

HALLandOATES
06-24-2006, 03:09 AM

I don't ever remember hearing about Sirius, Pullox, Arcturus, Rigel, Aldebaran, Betelgeus and Antares.

What exacly are they?

Me either, alls I remember in Earth Science in High School was simple sh!t like fault lines and phazes of the moon

AppleNader
06-24-2006, 03:25 AM
It's sad how GW Bush is ruining it all

Bosh4life
06-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Man i had no idea earth was so small comparibly to other planets.

shadow
06-24-2006, 03:35 AM

What exacly are they?
Stars...fortunately all very far from us.

Solid Snake
06-24-2006, 03:57 AM
My god imagine living on that big ass Antares. The size actually frightens me like a small child.

SupermanOnSteroids
06-24-2006, 03:59 AM
that's like living on a sun son.

ClutchCityReturns
06-24-2006, 04:30 AM
First of all, I'm a firm believer that there is life in the universe beyond what we know, if for no other reasons than the odds simply being stacked against us being alone in such a huge ass universe. Seriously, as you can see from those comparisons, our planet is but a grain of sand on a beach. Maybe even smaller.

So what I was thinking is this...

Since there are other planets out there that are soooooo much bigger than Earth, what if the creatures that live on those planets are bigger too? I assume creatures on Earth are a certain size due mainly to the size of the planet (don't want it too crowded or we'd use up all the resources) and because of the gravitational pull we have here which makes it impractical to be huge. So what if some other planets that don't have such a strong gravitational pull, or whatever different kinds of differences are involved, makes it possible for creatures to grow proportionate to the size of their planet. I mean, it's not as extreme an example, but if an ant is 10,000 times smaller than a human, what keeps a creature on some other distant planet from being 10,000 times larger than us? Maybe even more than that. I guess what I'm saying is that when people think of life on other planets, they probably imagine things that are roughly the size of what we have here on Earth, but why does that have to be the case?

According to those comparisons, if a creature somewhere else in the universe had what we would consider relative size to his own planet, his right nut could be the size of Earth. That is, if they have balls there.

Space is crazy and so am I. :hammerhead:

L.Kizzle
06-24-2006, 04:33 AM
We would probally be the size of ants in those other places! **** imagine running from a giant foot like ants do to us everyday.:(

AirGauge23
06-24-2006, 04:33 AM
Damn, I just realizad that Saiyans may exist. :eek:

Psileas
06-24-2006, 06:06 AM
The force of gravity on a planet is directly proportionate to its mass, so chances are the bigger planets will have a stronger gravitational pull. Therefore, it'd be even MORE impractical on these bigger planets to have bigger creatures. But who knows. We didn't used to think that creatures could live in the deep sea due to the extreme submarine-crushing water pressure, but sh1t lives down there, so you never know.

I was going to write something simular...

Concerning the sizes, I don't really think Betelgeuse is smaller than Antares and I'm sure that Aldebaran isn't bigger than or even equal to Rigel. Its radius is 50% of Rigel at best.

In solar diameters, Aldebaran is rated in the 35-40 range, Rigel is at 80, Anteres at 300 and Betelgeuse at 400-800 (variable size). There's a handful of stars even bigger, like Epsilon Aurigae and Mu Cephei, but I guess you ran out of fruit. :D

ClutchCityReturns
06-24-2006, 06:19 AM
But who knows. We didn't used to think that creatures could live in the deep sea due to the extreme submarine-crushing water pressure, but sh1t lives down there, so you never know.

I guess that's what I'm saying, but I guess I didn't type out the complete thought. We just don't know ANYTHING about what lies beyond where we can actually go. As crazy as it sounds, there may be parts of the universe where some wrinkle let's you travel back in time. Who are we to say it's not possible? So along the same line of thinking, creatures on another planet could be made up of matter that we don't even have here...something that could withstand pressure unlike anything we've ever experienced. It really does leave me speechless sometimes when I just stop and imagine the possibilities that are out there. It's equally exciting and depressing, because I want to know what's out there but I know I never will.

So in conclusion, it's quite possible that an alien space giant could carry our entire solar system in one of his seven nvtsacks :eek:

Psileas
06-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Anything is possible. And our planet IS even smaller than a grain of sand on the beach in relation to the rest of the universe. Actually, it's nearly impossible to describe how small we are in infinity. The same could be said of the giant stars as well, however.

I once calculated by mind how big the universe would be if the earth was a grain of sand. I found a crazy number like 2 or 4 light years (don't remember the exact number). Maybe I'll calculate this again today.

Thorpesaurous
06-24-2006, 07:12 AM
The force of gravity on a planet is directly proportionate to its mass, so chances are the bigger planets will have a stronger gravitational pull. Therefore, it'd be even MORE impractical on these bigger planets to have bigger creatures. But who knows. We didn't used to think that creatures could live in the deep sea due to the extreme submarine-crushing water pressure, but sh1t lives down there, so you never know.

That's true, but mass isn't directly proportional to size. The density of the body would have a lot to do with it. A rock planet is far more dense than the gas planet, and therefore may have more mass despite it's smaller volume, making it's gravitational pull smaller.
The odds of their not being life somewhere else are almost a statistical impossibility. Making much of our human belief system seem egomaniacal. Which actually explains a lot of our problems as a species.

ClutchCityReturns
06-24-2006, 07:41 AM
I can't wait until we find proof. It will turn the world on its ear.

I seriously almost got a chill just reading that. I'm tellin' you, this stuff freaks me out just as much as it intrigues me. I can't help but ponder it, though.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 10:54 AM
thank you for this enlightening, interesting, yet ultimately irrelevant thread.

but it is cool to know how large some of those stars are.

HALLandOATES
06-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Totally off topic of a already off topic thread but has anyone seen the movie the Final countdown? It has Kirk douglas and Martin Sheen in it. I asked a couple of people about if the story was true and they said yes. Can anyone verify this. I don't mean true as in it really happened , i mean did someone actually say this happened that was on the aircraft carrier. Sorry for the post but im not making a thread on this.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-24-2006, 11:02 AM
aliens are real guys.....ive seen a real ufo....couldnt have been anything else

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
there are two argument about extraterrestrial life:

1) the development of life on our own Earth occured by a very small chance given all the factors needed to create it. (all the abiotic factors assemblin at the right time, along with the right amount of oxidizing energy from lightning, and the absence of oxygen, and the presence of the coacervate membranes to support the first organic material, etc....)

but...

other life may be VASTLY different to anything we have on Earth, and it is difficult to conceive it because in the end.. the Earth is all we have known.

in all these movies about alien life form, all extraterrestrial life would have some anthropomorphic quality, if not outright humanoid similarities, then certain biochemical similarties.

the chances of another oxygen/water planet similar to our earth with lifeforms similar to us is VERY REMOTE

SHADYMILKMAN
06-24-2006, 11:07 AM
if im not mistaken there are things on the earth that having similar "living" characteristics, but they are not considered living because they dont use carbon

kumquat
06-24-2006, 11:09 AM
aliens are real guys.....ive seen a real ufo....couldnt have been anything else

Yes it could.

:bowdown:

The truth is out there.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/buck/img/mar03/sam304.jpg

That's some seriously amazing stuff. Consider the possibilities if earth is only the size of a grain of sand.

WADE MONEY
06-24-2006, 11:18 AM
First of all, I'm a firm believer that there is life in the universe beyond what we know, if for no other reasons than the odds simply being stacked against us being alone in such a huge ass universe. Seriously, as you can see from those comparisons, our planet is but a grain of sand on a beach. Maybe even smaller.

Since there are other planets out there that are soooooo much bigger than Earth, what if the creatures that live on those planets are bigger too? I assume creatures on Earth are a certain size due mainly to the size of the planet (don't want it too crowded or we'd use up all the resources) and because of the gravitational pull we have here which makes it impractical to be huge. So what if some other planets that don't have such a strong gravitational pull, or whatever different kinds of differences are involved, makes it possible for creatures to grow proportionate to the size of their planet. I mean, it's not as extreme an example, but if an ant is 10,000 times smaller than a human, what keeps a creature on some other distant planet from being 10,000 times larger than us? Maybe even more than that. I guess what I'm saying is that when people think of life on other planets, they probably imagine things that are roughly the size of what we have here on Earth, but why does that have to be the case?

According to those comparisons, if a creature somewhere else in the universe had what we would consider relative size to his own planet, his right nut could be the size of Earth. That is, if they have balls there.

very good point, and very nicely argued, my friend. Keep up the good work.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I feel ya. I always hate when I watch a sci-fi movie/show, and the aliens have way too many human characteristics to be believable. But it isn't remote at all that there are aliens out there similar to us. The universe stretches infinitely in all directions, so while most life forms will be vastly different from us, there will also be some that are very similar. There might even be some that are almost exactly like us. That's a very strong statistical possibility.

that's only assuming the universe is infinite.

what if it is finite... but just veryyy large? they say the universe is continuously expanding.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes it could.

The truth is out there.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/buck/img/mar03/sam304.jpg

That's some seriously amazing stuff. Consider the possibilities if earth is only the size of a grain of sand.

man you wouldnt have believed this this....we dont have the technology for it. It was just sitting in the sky and i thought it was the moon or a planet. After 10-15 seconds of staring at it, it just traveled from one side of the sky to the other in less that 2 seconds. It was unbelievable.

kumquat
06-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't think any of you are considering the time factor in this. Humans as we know it have only been around this planet for a cosmic second . That means there is a highly minute possibility we would parallel another civilisations. We don't have the tools yet to see what lies too far beyond our galaxy.

yeahwhathesaid
06-24-2006, 11:59 AM
do you think the universe is infinite in size or is there a boundary where you cant go any further?
also there has to be life in space, considering we only landed on the moon. We never landed on a star or a planet out of our galaxy nor did we ever took a picture of a star close up.

wally_world
06-24-2006, 11:59 AM
SCARY!!!

IMAGINE THAT BIGGEST ONE HITTING US... errrrr... give sme the creeps... wonder what we are the that biggest star... :confused:

kumquat
06-24-2006, 12:15 PM
The sun is technically a star.....i'm sure we'll send someone bad there one day. Probably Bush.

Alpha Centauri is the other closest star. 4 light years away or 24,000,000,000,000 miles. Max rocket speed is something like 10,000mph so it would take around 300,000 years for a current rocket in perfect conditions to land on the closest star.

Laker Logic
06-24-2006, 12:29 PM
How do you think followers (or leaders) of the world's major religions would react if we discovered extraterrestrial life? Imagine the theological scramble to explain THAT one. :roll:

For that matter, how do you think your average person would react?

i seen hippos
06-24-2006, 12:40 PM
wouldn't affect me.

religion is just a means to live a goodly life....nothing more.

believing in god is all that matter really.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Valid point. OK, I understand that the MASS that was created during the Big-Bang is still expanding infinitely in all directions, but it's not like once you pass the perimiter of said mass, there's just going to be a brick wall or something. There's just going to be more space infinitely in all directions. Something else fun to consider is that once you're past the perimiter of the mass of our 'universe'(this word is a bit misleading) which was created during the Big-Bang, maybe a googolplex of light years away(most likely MUCH farther away, however), there could be other mass infinitely hurtling through space created by a very similar 'Bang,' much longer ago than ours. Or much more recently. And in infinite space, there could be an infinite number of mass, created by an infinite number of 'Bangs'. The possibilities are endless.

what is a googolplex again? i forgot the algorithms but some engineers fondly speak of it as some immensely large number using some kind of exponential addition.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 12:49 PM
wouldn't affect me.

religion is just a means to live a goodly life....nothing more.

believing in god is all that matter really.

i seen hippos, what is your stance on intelligent design?

i seen hippos
06-24-2006, 12:59 PM
i don't believe in it.

god created earth and left it. god made everything scientifically explainable so things would make sense to us.

we'll be judged once we die and that's the only time god will stick his nose into our business.

on a half serious note, i think this is just a test cause there's really a war going on in the heavens (with maybe more gods) and the most devoted of us will be given higher ranks while the lesser of us will be foot soldiers or something. lol

this theory also means dudes like osama bin laden will be ranked very high, cause while we don't agree with what he does, he's very devoted to his cause "in the name of god"....don't even know if he's that religious actually.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 01:01 PM
i don't believe in it.

god created earth and left it. god made everything scientifically explainable so things would make sense to us.

we'll be judged once we die and that's the only time god will stick his nose into our business.

on a half serious note, i think this is just a test cause there's really a war going on in the heavens (with maybe more gods) and the most devoted of us will be given higher ranks while the lesser of us will be foot soldiers or something. lol

this theory also means dudes like osama bin laden will be ranked very high, cause while we don't agree with what he does, he's very devoted to his cause "in the name of god"....don't even know if he's that religious actually.

isn't that essentially a simple interpretation of intelligent design?

yeahwhathesaid
06-24-2006, 01:04 PM
you can still be a christian and believe that aliens exist, at least if you believe that aliens are like animals and cannot go to heaven and hell, and believe that god created humans first then aliens

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
what if the other life forms are sentient crystals? :confusedshrug:

i seen hippos
06-24-2006, 01:09 PM
yea, but i'm under the impression that intelligent design states that the world was created 2000 or so years ago, which i don't believe.

i also don't believe the stupid science people who think cause you can explain things with science, god didn't create us or the universe. as if god wasn't smart enough to incoporate science into our universe.

i seen hippos
06-24-2006, 01:10 PM
What if the aliens are more intelligent than we are? Will they still be considered to be like animals?

what if they don't hold any concept like religion or god though?

Real Men Wear Green
06-24-2006, 01:16 PM
No it doesn't. I'm unsure myself but have neither heard nor seen any proof that planet size determines whether or not a planet is more or less capable of sustaining life. There is an unknown number of planets, stars, and galaxies out there so it may have happenned but the size of earth isn't proof.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 01:18 PM
what if other life forms do not exist in the same spectral plane as we do? what if htey exist in the fifth dimension and we can only glimpse them when at different EM wavelengths for short periods of times?

there is obviousl a biochemical/physical rationale behidn their existence, but they will appear merely as "ghosts" to us. will there be religious stigma attached to them?

Real Men Wear Green
06-24-2006, 01:22 PM
How do you think followers (or leaders) of the world's major religions would react if we discovered extraterrestrial life? Imagine the theological scramble to explain THAT one. :roll:

For that matter, how do you think your average person would react?The Hindu religion teaches that there is actually an infinite number of planets with various life forms on them. The Christian Bible simply doesn't address the subject, so it would neither prove nor disprove anything if the only thing discovered is, say, some purple amoebas.
you can still be a christian and believe that aliens exist, at least if you believe that aliens are like animals and cannot go to heaven and hell, and believe that god created humans first then aliensNone of that is necessary. The Bible doesn't discuss aliens at all.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 01:27 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/VCLeapsOverGrandKenyon/scratchbob-itchpants.jpg

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 01:31 PM
:wtf:

Is that from The Simpsons?

yeah in an episode a few years ago Kursty the Clown made Itchy and Scratchy promos by making

Confederate Itchy

Scratchbob ITchpants

and Osama Bin Scratchy

Heilige
06-24-2006, 04:56 PM

Actually, it has more to due with the percentage of oxygen in our atmosphere...

Due to millions of years of vegetation domination on the earth's surface, there was an oxygen rich environment that allowed invertabrates to grow to enormous proportions. Vertebrates were dangerously close to losing the evolutionary war, but when oxygen supplies dwindled, our complex lung structures allowed us to thrive while the giant bugs suffocated...

I, too, am in the belief that there is other life out there. Like you said, statistically speaking, there has to be. I'm not so sure about your question of there being life that much bigger then us. Sure, whales are pretty big, but it's nothing like the size difference from an ant to a human.

I don't know if planet size would effect life size in the way you are thinking. I think it would be reasonable to say that life on larger planets would tend to be smaller due to the gravity, while, on smaller planets, lower gravity would allow for a larger size. That, however, would only be viable for life as we know it.

In any case, a planet can only be so small while retaining an atmosphere, which would most definatly be required for any type of life. It is also my understanding that a planet with a solid surface can only get so large. So there is only so much variation available, but once again, it's for life as we know it, which is life that resembles that which is on Earth. There could be, and probably is, all sorts of weird life out there that has completely different rules.

In case anyone is interested...

Mass of the Earth: 5,974,200,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg.
Mass of the Sun: 1,988,920,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg.

The universe is a big and amazing place.

Jerm
06-24-2006, 05:21 PM
The sooner you realize that we are the only living beings out here, the better off you'll rest at night. Humans rule the universe, all those planets aren't conducive to support life. Praise humans, we can't be beat.:pimp:

shadow
06-24-2006, 05:33 PM
The sooner you realize that we are the only living beings out here, the better off you'll rest at night. Humans rule the universe, all those planets aren't conducive to support life. Praise humans, we can't be beat.:pimp:
actually no. We won't rule the universe anytime soon. We can't even rule our own world right now. One earthqauke, one tsunami, one volcanic eruption and our hands are full.

We're more likely to end up causing our own extinction than rule the universe.

Jerm
06-24-2006, 05:36 PM
actually no. We won't rule the universe anytime soon. We can't even rule our own world right now. One earthqauke, one tsunami, one volcanic eruption and our hands are full.

Those are things beyong human control. We can't control mother earth, mother earth is the only one above us and I aint mad at the b!tch. If I was, I'll easily help destroy it.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 05:42 PM
exterrestrials and deep space travel may not become a reality... even if aliens do exist somewhere unless there is a major technological advance and paradigm shift inthe way humans do things.

most notably, humans will need to break the laws of physics to travel at faster than light speeds to travel to teh nearest galaxy...

GOBB
06-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Of course there are other life forms outside of human beings. Stop being so damn arrogant humans. GOD doesnt create a universe where there are things within it just for show n tell. Those "stars" or whatever the ***** was posted sounding like fighters in Troy arent just there to be there. Everything has a purpose and some things we just arent meant to know what for...yet (perhaps). Just like we cant think for GOD. But rest assure there are other forms of life out there. You just dont have other planets for the sake of it. And the galazy is so huge man cant even explore it all.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Of course there are other life forms outside of human beings. Stop being so damn arrogant humans. GOD doesnt create a universe where there are things within it just for show n tell. Those "stars" or whatever the ***** was posted sounding like fighters in Troy arent just there to be there. Everything has a purpose and some things we just arent meant to know what for...yet (perhaps). Just like we cant think for GOD. But rest assure there are other forms of life out there. You just dont have other planets for the sake of it. And the galazy is so huge man cant even explore it all.

yeah everything you said are all valid points. but then again, the point of this thread is for speculation.. wrong and right.

Stop being so damn arrogant humans.

i suggest taking your own advice.

GOBB
06-24-2006, 06:02 PM
yeah everything you said are all valid points. but then again, the point of this thread is for speculation.. wrong and right.

i suggest taking your own advice.

I suggest you stop being such a post whore. And to say the point of this thread is for speculation is cute. But reality is life exists outside of Earth. You cant handle it because you like most humans need physical evidence. Similar to proving GOD exist. If you dont see an image the chances of buying it 100% is slim. Like most humans they think the world starts and ends here. You know GOD sending down his "son" to give us the "laws" of the lawwwwd. So therefore any other life existing out there is silly. We are it. So many arrogant theories from us humans.

How long does it take from Earth to pluto? Can a human physically be placed in a spaceship to that destination? And if they cant why create a planet out of reach to man? Man is making great advancements when it deals with outter space. Us humans dont even use our entire brain. So much to learn, so little time for us but we can only hope future generations help uncover the pieces to a great mystery. You dont have a star 20 times the size of our sun that is 3-4 times the size of Earth for NO APPARANT reason. It doesnt just sit there for decoration. Get with the problem.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I suggest you stop being such a post whore. And to say the point of this thread is for speculation is cute. But reality is life exists outside of Earth. You cant handle it because you like most humans need physical evidence. Similar to proving GOD exist. If you dont see an image the chances of buying it 100% is slim. Like most humans they think the world starts and ends here. You know GOD sending down his "son" to give us the "laws" of the lawwwwd. So therefore any other life existing out there is silly. We are it. So many arrogant theories from us humans.

How long does it take from Earth to pluto? Can a human physically be placed in a spaceship to that destination? And if they cant why create a planet out of reach to man? Man is making great advancements when it deals with outter space. Us humans dont even use our entire brain. So much to learn, so little time for us but we can only hope future generations help uncover the pieces to a great mystery. You dont have a star 20 times the size of our sun that is 3-4 times the size of Earth for NO APPARANT reason. It doesnt just sit there for decoration. Get with the problem.

read my previous posts.

absence of proof is not proof of absence. that point is well taken. but it is not proof of existence either.

i am aware that humans cannot possibly traverse the infinite vastness of the universe, much like ShannonElements has pointed out. moreover, because of the sheer immensity of the universe, there always exists the possibility of extraterrestrial life. I mentioned before that unless humans experience a gigantic technological advancement and paradigm shift, it is not likely we are goin to hop on space cruisers and sail off into the stars like Captain Kirk.

anyway, discussing this topic isn't really something I can claim much expertise on. I know as much as a college student who has never taken astrophysics, but who has taken Intro Bio knows about life and the possibiltiy of extraterrestrial life.

but enjoy the speculation people.

btw GOBB, i've removed the post whore stigma from you. now you can be GOBB-- the true master of ISH.. or whatever else you want to be.

Noob Saibot
06-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Earth is a small small world after all.

Psileas
06-24-2006, 06:15 PM
This is the thing though: we've only confirmed a handful of planets outside of our solar system. Who's to know what planets might and might not be conducive towards life? Would you say there's maybe a one-in-a-trillion chance that there's life on another planet? Well, those are pretty damn good odds in relation to infinity.

We "only" confirmed the planets we are able to observe. They are all giants, like Jupiter and Saturn, but there probably are many more that haven't yet been possible to observe.

BTW, some believe that the number of stars in the universe is in the range of 10^21-10^22. A one-in-trillion possibility of a star system to support life would still imply the existance of a few trillions of hospitable planets.

L.Kizzle
06-24-2006, 06:17 PM

Agree, everything is here for a reason. Go outside and look at something on the ground. You might say, why is this here, but it is some little creatures home and places for resourses. Look at the Sun and Moon, they are not just here for no reason, earth needs it.

Why are their moons around Jupiter? Who knows.

GOBB
Ever hear of existensialism? It in itself pretty much goes against your argument.

Ever see the movie "What the Bleep do we Know"? You(and everyone) should check it out. It's incredible, and just might alter the way you think in more than a few ways.

I dont care what goes against my argument. You cant explain things existing without purpose. Neither can I but my belief in GOD leads me to believe things arent just there for show n tell. Everything has a purpose. The sun that brightens up our day has a purpose. Can you deny it? Nope. So how can anyone deny the purpose of something far far away that is insane in size? Because they cant get near, experiement, study? Go figure. Man has been making great strides in figuring out what cant be proven based on info placed down for you and I to read. But look at how things are evoling, advanced technology. Who is to say 2-3 thousands years from now we find out the purpose that star serves? And 2-3 thousand years ago we are looked at as "people who didnt believe" much like those who believed the world wasnt round. I'm sure some *****s back then thinkin it was a square went so based on no proof. Not many thought it would be possible to travel into outter space. We're now roaming it like a city.

WE only want to believe what we can see basically. We want some facts written down after reasearch has been done to say "ok i believe". I dont need it, GOD is a supreme being and I wont sit here and think Earth is it and the rest are blinds, shades, posters, mirrors in a *****in room. :no:

kumquat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain#Popular_misconceptions

Even though some mysteries of brain function persist, every part of the brain has a known function.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain#_note-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain#_note-1)[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain#_note-2)

Jerm
06-24-2006, 06:20 PM
It's very difficult for me to imagine some kind of boundry. What would be on the other side of it? Oh, and I seriously doubt we'll ever land on a star...'

There isn't a bounday per se. Every creature/creation rests on God's palms. So if you get to the end, you'll probably step on God's foot which will spell trouble for the rest of us. God will take a look at what/who stepped on his foot and he'll flail his arms causing an earthquake. Got it?

Psileas
06-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Agree, everything is here for a reason. Go outside and look at something on the ground. You might say, why is this here, but it is some little creatures home and places for resourses. Look at the Sun and Moon, they are not just here for no reason, earth needs it.

Why are their moons around Jupiter? Who knows.

I don't think anyone knows what exists for a reason and what not. It's more a matter of chance than reason for me. After all, "reason" is a human-made term above all...

SHADYMILKMAN
06-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Either GOD, excuse i mean GOBB, is right or he just proved there is no God.

BTW, You say "we cant think for GOD", but you are speaking for him in the post. You cant speak for God either. No one knows his intentions.

GOBB
06-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Either GOD, excuse i mean GOBB, is right or he just proved there is no God.

BTW, You say "we cant think for GOD", but you are speaking for him in the post. You cant speak for God either. No one knows his intentions.

What do you sit around and just wait for posts like these to appear you clown? Got any thoughts on the subject or you rather sift thru peoples posts and pull a hoe move "hey u cant say that then this", "wait either ur right or ur wrong...which is it?". Drop some thoughts on the topic or STFU you out of shape white boy.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-24-2006, 06:34 PM
What do you sit around and just wait for posts like these to appear you clown? Got any thoughts on the subject or you rather sift thru peoples posts and pull a hoe move "hey u cant say that then this", "wait either ur right or ur wrong...which is it?". Drop some thoughts on the topic or STFU you out of shape white boy.

No. I just got back from playing basketball and checked up on this topic that has interested me. I'm with you, i believe in God and all that. Im just telling you when you say we cant think for God, and then later in the post speak for him, you and contradicting yourself. And what i said about you either being completely right or being completely wrong is right. Either all the extra stuff shows that there is no God and the big bang created everything, or else there is a God and he has a purpose for everything.

GOBB
06-24-2006, 06:52 PM
or do you believe God was like *poof*, and Adam and Eve materialized in the Garden of Eden?

Thats some religious stuff man created. Dont insult me with that sillyness kid.

I believe in GOD and thats all that matters. GOD created everything so for the most part life outside of Earth to me exists and seeing these images I believe they are there for some reason. Dont know the reason. Might not ever know in my lifetime. Thats what i believe. GOD is good.

Jerm
06-24-2006, 07:02 PM
The appendix in the human body doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever. It serves as decoration for the worms that live inside your body. The use a piece of it to woo the ladies when they're out on a date.

GOBB
06-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Jerm you enjoy being a smartass. I think its lame but do you.

Well, that's why I asked rather than just assuming. I don't think anything exists for some kind of 'grand reason'. Just my opinion. Agree to disagree.

Pretty much all i've been doing. Agree to disagree and acknowledging one anothers beliefs/position.

Jerm
06-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Some things are just there as a result of circumstances and serve no purpose whatsoever even though most things around us are there for a reason.

Skywalker
06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
that is fascinating, I wonder how they know that there is that stuff out there

GOBB
06-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Some things are just there as a result of circumstances and serve no purpose whatsoever even though most things around us are there for a reason.

Doesnt mean the things you think are there serving no purpose dont serve a purpose.

yeahwhathesaid
06-24-2006, 07:31 PM
there must have been at least over a reported 10,000 alien encounters or ufo sightings.

FabCasablancas
06-24-2006, 07:43 PM
I think there are ONLY 2 real possibilties when it comes to the the question of intelligent life populating the universe..

1. technology isn't as limitless as we think it is and the universe is populated with infinite intelligent life that has no way of ever communicating with each other or ever visiting each other.

2. We are completely alone in the universe and it is devoid of other intelligent life.

If there were a vast number of intelligent life out in the universe AND the technology to comminicate and traval the universe someone would have had to have set up a "franchise" at some point and time.. it would only take one one entitity to do this and we would be aware of them.

One entity in limitless time and infinite species... and we would know about it.

It would only take one lifeform deciding to start a "franchise" using something like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_probe

PureElement
06-24-2006, 08:47 PM
someone would have had to have done this at some point and time.. it would only take one one entitity to do this and we would be aware of them.

Considering our human history is sooo short, and our capability to try and reach other intelligent life has been even shorter, I don't see how we would be aware of them so soon.

FabCasablancas
06-24-2006, 08:58 PM
You have to read about the concept of a Von Neumann machine. Basically it's like a robot that self-replicates and spreads itself through the universe.

How I imagine it working is that it would self replicate.. see a Sun like ours.. figure out that life will develop here one day, come here, set up shop, wait around for us, and then communicate with us.

So, again, if life was limitless.. I don't see how one life form out there wouldn't have done this. And it would seemingly take very little technoolgy to do this.

As for the time frame... yes we haven't been around long. But there should be life that is much much older than us that would have spread through the Universe by now.

FabCasablancas
06-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, just to play ball, let's say one of these machines spotted our sun, and decided to head over to set up shop. When it departed for our solar system, humankind had yet to exist, but due to the enormous distance, we've already advanced to present day and it's still on its way. And our universe is relatively young, so even if there is more intelligent life out there somewhere, it's quite possible that they're not yet as advanced as we are. I know, not exactly sci-fi, but possible.

The thing is, I think to be able to travel through space it would be necessary to manipulate time. And this is why there is a very big possbility the limitations of technology are too great to travel through space to other life forms.

Jerm
06-24-2006, 09:38 PM
No matter what Einstein tells you, you can't manipulate time.

FabCasablancas
06-24-2006, 09:58 PM
That's why I said there were only 2 possibilities...

1. no tech

2. no intelligent life forms

If the technology is there we would know they are there. If the Von Nuemann machine isn't possible then it isn't possible for life to travel to other life. So, no Von Nuemann then no life.

That's how I sees it. I hope I'm wrong though.

FabCasablancas
06-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Another thing I was thinking about, is that it would be cool to have a giant depiction of the images in the original post of this thread. I am wondering if you had a giant diagram, like imagine putting a diagram on the side of some immense wall, how big would big would it have to be, if say on the diagram the Earth was as big as a quarter or something?

It would be cool to see it from a distance and then walk up to it very close.. you could get a good idea of the scale that way.

DreamRuled
06-24-2006, 10:40 PM
first, some one asked about a googleplex, and I never saw an answer... A google is 10^100. A googleplex is 10^google.

Second, for anyone with time/interest, Arthur C. Clarks Odyssey (2001,2010, 2061 and 3001)books have some interesting takes on a lot of the things discussed here, although 3001 prolly addresses the majority of them in the best way. Each book can be read without any knowledge of the others, so feel free to skip to that one, if you want. It even discusses how Von Nuemann type machines could observe/affect our world.

Finally, a lot of the most recent theories state that while there is not definite boundry to the Universe, eventually the momentum of the planets/stars/cosmic dust gained through the bigbang will run out, at which time the universe will begin to collapse back on itself. Of course, the popular theories seem to go back and forth between that and the infinitly expanding universe theory on a regular basis. Also, a seldom heard theory (no clue what the name is ) says that after the expansion stops, pockets of the Universe will collapse back in on itself, eventally causing multiple "big bangs" at cosmicly large distances from each othe at some time in the future, instead of another huge big bang from the whole universe collapsing into itself.

I think, all the theories are fun and stuff, and I'd love to know what will happen. But, until God wants us too, we prolly won't know.

clipps
06-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Can you imagine the gravitational pull on Jupiter. I don't know how accurate I am, but a petite 90 lb girl would probably weight a few hundred lbs, maybe even a thousand pounds on jupiter.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-24-2006, 10:50 PM
No matter what Einstein tells you, you can't manipulate time.

Jerm you are wrong. Time is not stable. Time is directly proportional to speed. Time has been manipulated many times. When astronauts go into space they set their watches with NASA time and when they come back their watches and 1 or 2 minutes behind time. Because a space shuttle travels so fast, time actually slows down. This has been proven in labratories as well. Einstein is right.

Jerm
06-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Electronic time may change but speed won't stop you from aging like you're supposed to. Don't think of time like something you see in a clock or watch. Time isn't a number per se, if you're going to be wrinkly in "90 years", you'll be wrinkly in "90 years".

Solid Snake
06-25-2006, 12:05 AM
lol I can't believe you grown ass men can still believe in some mythical fairy tale like god and all that religious bullsh1t. Totally devoid of any logic based thinking. It's like me telling you to please believe I have a magic unicorn above my head, as a rational person, why the fvck would you believe me if I can't prove it????

Jerm
06-25-2006, 12:07 AM
The thing is that even though people can't show you God, they can show you things that God has done in their lives and in the life of others. Your unicorn?...That is only in your dreams.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:10 AM
what is time if it cant be measured Jerm?

Jerm
06-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Time isn't what you neccessarily see on your watch. I could measure time using the position of the sun in the sky. I doubt speed will be able to manipulate that. Isn't that what sundials are all about anyway?

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:23 AM
ok here's one for you then.....there are elements on the sun that only last like 0.0000000000001 seconds before they die. Somehow, we know these elements exist because we are able to see them on Earth for that 0.0000000000001 seconds before they vanish. But, lets not forget that the suns rays take 8 minutes to get to earth. How can this be explained? When something travels at the speed of light, time is slowed down dramatically. No time passes when something travels that fast, until it hits the earth and stops moving. Then it is effected by time like we are. So dont act like you know what you are talking about.

Jerm
06-25-2006, 12:29 AM
Are you trying to tell me that if I can somehow get in a machine that travels at the speed of light, in "30years", I won't be having grey hair?...I call shenenigans. By the way, what you're claiming is just a theory that can't be proven right/wrong. Wasn't this all in Einstein's relativity model?

Time cannot be manipulated. It is not a physical entity like length/heigth. Time is an abstract entitity IMO atleast.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:32 AM
no it is fact!! It has been proven right. And yes i am saying that if you had a twin brother and he was on earth and you were traveling at the speed of light that you would live forever while he would die at 76 or whatever.

PureElement
06-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Another thing I was thinking about, is that it would be cool to have a giant depiction of the images in the original post of this thread. I am wondering if you had a giant diagram, like imagine putting a diagram on the side of some immense wall, how big would big would it have to be, if say on the diagram the Earth was as big as a quarter or something?

It would be cool to see it from a distance and then walk up to it very close.. you could get a good idea of the scale that way.

if earth was the size of a quarter, the biggest sun would be the size of the earth.

PureElement
06-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Are you trying to tell me that if I can somehow get in a machine that travels at the speed of light, in "30years", I won't be having grey hair?...I call shenenigans. By the way, what you're claiming is just a theory that can't be proven right/wrong. Wasn't this all in Einstein's relativity model?

Time cannot be manipulated. It is not a physical entity like length/heigth. Time is an abstract entitity IMO atleast.

no it has been proven by experimentation that the faster you travel the slower time becomes. It has been only proven by a few milliseconds because we can't travel very fast, but it has been proven.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Jerm just shut up you are like 12 years old and you are wrong man. How many different things do i have to show you. Time is not stable for the LAST TIME. Maybe you cant grasp the idea. Time is about as stable as ur weight.

PureElement
06-25-2006, 12:45 AM
It is not a fact. There's a reason why it is called the relativity theory, it hasn't been proven to be a fact of life. How do you even prove that time is dependent on the relative speeds of the observer's time frames?...How do you make an object achieve the speed of light?..

What you're arguing is a "theory" not a fact. Basic science tells you that a theory is a hypothesis that hasn't been proven beyong reasonable doubt.

I guess you don't believe in gravity either then. Or that we are made of atoms and molecules. just because you can't see it doens't mean its not true or its not there. People have been trying to disprove Einstein's theory for decades, you're not gonna be the first to make an argument that its wrong.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:47 AM
PureElement, I like your style. lol

Jerm
06-25-2006, 12:47 AM
It is not a fact. There's a reason why it is called the relativity theory, it hasn't been proven to be a fact of life. How do you even prove that time is dependent on the relative speeds of the observer's time frames?...How do you make an object achieve the speed of light?..

What you're arguing is a "theory" not a fact. Basic science tells you that a theory is a hypothesis that hasn't been proven beyong reasonable doubt.

There has been considerable testing of the time dilation theory showing the theory proved. However, all tests involve only particles at electron mass and smaller. These tests, by necessity, do not involve particles at nucleonic size in the mechanism which actually measures the timing, due to the accuracy required.

As the twins hypothesis involves particles of nucleonic size i.e. constructed of atoms I do not believe such structures can be effected by time dilation and that this part of Einstein’s postulate is flawed.

This concept has implications in that particles which may have been influenced by time dilation may well be much older than nucleonic particles.

Articles based on Einsteins work indicate that he wrote the time dilation effect would only be appropriate at velocities close to the speed of light.

I now believe that no object of nuclionic particle size or above can be accelerated to anywhere near these speeds. Any such attempt would result in the nuclionic particles being disrupted to the extent that they would either form into a close (touching) mass or fly apart. The so called weak and strong forces being disrupted at these speeds.

That's a short essay by my friend. How do you achieve speeds close to the speed of life since Einsten himself beleives that this theory is only true at those speeds. It's called time dilation by the way.

I like how I'm making reasonable arguments and the high school student(Pure Element) and layman(ShadyMilkman) are depending on insults.

Jerm
06-25-2006, 12:49 AM
I guess you don't believe in gravity either then. Or that we are made of atoms and molecules. just because you can't see it doens't mean its not true or its not there. People have been trying to disprove Einstein's theory for decades, you're not gonna be the first to make an argument that its wrong.

That part of the theory has been proven beyond reasonable doubt while other parts of the theory like time dilation are still in doubt or can't be proven. That is why it remains a theory.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:50 AM
yea look up an article when ur back is against the wall and act like ur an expert. "its called time dilation thank you very much".

like pure said, i guess you dont believe in gravity either.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:52 AM
come to the DARK SIDE Jerm....things are better over here.

ClutchCityReturns
06-25-2006, 12:58 AM
So there is only so much variation available, but once again, it's for life as we know it, which is life that resembles that which is on Earth. There could be, and probably is, all sorts of weird life out there that has completely different rules.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm basing everything on. We just don't know the scientific laws for those places we can't go to or can't see. It's a strange thought, but it has to be considered.

The thought that there is vastly more intelligent life out there is just such a crazy thought. Not just that they exist, but that they might have been around before us, watched our planet and our galaxy form, and have studied us since day one of our existence. If so, I guarantee they're getting a kick out of this thread. :eek:

Jerm
06-25-2006, 12:58 AM
come to the DARK SIDE Jerm....things are better over here

Are you also saying I could travel in high speed to a point in space and view what happened yesterday on earth. Does that sound reasonable to you?...That is what the theory your presenting as "fact" may imply. (Think about the way we see other planets here like they were millions of years ago.)

Jerm
06-25-2006, 01:05 AM
I feel that time and matter are not connected, but that our measurement of time is connected to matter.

The fact that a second spent on the north pole is different from a second spent in a car traveling west at the equator at sea level and is also different from a super-sonic jet traveling high above the earth bothers me at a fundamental level and is unbeleivable.

This isn't a matter of seconds being lost. It is hte fact that 24 hours in one place can mean 50 years in another. The universe will have a hard time functioning if nothing obeys a time line. There is a time line which is why our universe can be able to even operate. Yesterday is yesterday. You can't go in a flight travelling at the speed of light and see your dead grandpa or see yourself when your balls haven't dropped. These are things that make me beleive that at a fundamental level, these things are wrong.

PureElement
06-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Are you also saying I could travel in high speed to a point in space and view what happened yesterday on earth. Does that sound reasonable to you?...That is what the theory your presenting as "fact" may imply. (Think about the way we see other planets here like they were millions of years ago.)

None of the theories of the higher sciences seem reasonable if you view it with the mind of an ordinary person. Geniuses don't think like any of us, and yet they have made the only real differences in the world. You think Newton or Galileo are any different from the scientists now?

Relativity and Quantum Mechanics are based on Math. They don't have enough experimental proof yet, but they are not "shenenigans". They are based on research from the greatest minds in the world. And Mathmatics is just as important as reason or simple observation. Without it we would still base our thinking like Aristotle.

XxNeXuSxX
06-25-2006, 01:12 AM
What happens if we mirror Star Trek:TNG and mirror everything they do on the show, form a "federation" with other planets, while becoming enemies with others.

Jerm
06-25-2006, 01:22 AM
None of the theories of the higher sciences seem reasonable if you view it with the mind of an ordinary person. Geniuses don't think like any of us, and yet they have made the only real differences in the world. You think Newton or Galileo are any different from the scientists now?

Relativity and Quantum Mechanics are based on Math. They don't have enough experimental proof yet, but they are not "shenenigans". They are based on research from the greatest minds in the world. And Mathmatics is just as important as reason or simple observation. Without it we would still base our thinking like Aristotle.
You're 100x more intelligent than Shady Milkman who thinks everything in the relativity theory has been proven to be facts and we should live by them. They are shenenigans when you think of the implications of these things. They just won't make sense, it will mean that we don't actually exist when we exist. Like it means that I can go outside of space at a high speed and watch how the earth is in the future. These things don't make sense.

mavsfan4zindagi
06-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Amazing pics.

Just goes to show how insiginficant the earth and humans are in the big picture.

hateraid
06-25-2006, 02:18 AM

On the flip side, apperently there is a 0.0000something % chance of there ever being another ideal living condition for life to sustain. Factoring in breathable air, ideal climate, perfect distance from a sun, perfect size for gravitational pull, cluster of planets which may be able to protect it from an onslaught of meteors..... So it may be probable, it's almost immpossible.

The stupid thing is, we as a species are destroying that perfect condition slowly.

mavsfan4zindagi
06-25-2006, 02:22 AM
What makes you think that other life forms need those exact conditions to live?

Just cause humans need it doesn't mean every other lifeform in the universe does too.

GOBB is so right though. Humans are patheticly arrogent and narrow minded in thinking that we're the ONLY life forms in the ENTIRE universe.

shadow
06-25-2006, 02:26 AM
I feel that time and matter are not connected, but that our measurement of time is connected to matter.

The fact that a second spent on the north pole is different from a second spent in a car traveling west at the equator at sea level and is also different from a super-sonic jet traveling high above the earth bothers me at a fundamental level and is unbeleivable.

This isn't a matter of seconds being lost. It is hte fact that 24 hours in one place can mean 50 years in another. The universe will have a hard time functioning if nothing obeys a time line. There is a time line which is why our universe can be able to even operate. Yesterday is yesterday. You can't go in a flight travelling at the speed of light and see your dead grandpa or see yourself when your balls haven't dropped. These are things that make me beleive that at a fundamental level, these things are wrong.

It may bother you but it truly is that way.
One thing you're confusing is that you can't manipulate time to go in to the past. But you can slow it for yourself so that you end up in the future relative to where you started. Time has one direction and that's foward. So even if you do manipulate it, you're manipulating it in the direction of the future, not the past.

Yesterday will always be yesterday because you'd need to be able to travel faster than the speed of light to be able to beat light from earth to the observation point, and that's not possible.

Whether it seems unnatural to you or not, time slowing down at high speeds has been proven through experimentation. You don't need to worry about it because we'd need to acheive incredibly high speed (fractions of light speed) for the effect to be noticable and we're not capable of doing that for now.

hateraid
06-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Did I say it was entirely impossible? Read again.

The point of my post was to state that humans ARE ignorant to the fact that we have close to THE perfect living conditions and we take it for granted.

mavsfan4zindagi
06-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Did I say it was entirely impossible? Read again.

The point of my post was to state that humans ARE ignorant to the fact that we have close to THE perfect living conditions and we take it for granted.

Yeah because a .000000something % doesn't imply that you're saying its impossible. What I'm saying is, we have a perfect conditions for HUMANS to survive.

Other planets may have other conditions for other lifeforms to survive.

FabCasablancas
06-25-2006, 03:00 AM
if earth was the size of a quarter, the biggest sun would be the size of the earth.

haha.. there goes that idea!

kumquat
06-25-2006, 04:49 AM
I find reality too much of a spin out to be something randomly that just popped up.

Hutch13
06-25-2006, 04:50 AM
dang uranus is huge:banana:

Jerm
06-25-2006, 09:52 AM
I believe that somewhere in deep space, there is a giant teapot - the size of 1 googolplex of our sun - floating around, but I have no proof of its existence. BUT, you also cannot prove that it does NOT exist...

God can be viewed in a similar light.

The thing is that people have presented miracles to show that this is God at work. Miracles that beat logical explainations. From both the biblical days and present days, miraculous events attributed to the power of God has been reported. This is one reason why billions of people believe that there is a God. You don't need to see him to believe it, all you have to do is experience him in your life. It's funny how countless atheists after coming close to death or contracting a terminal illness suddenly believe that there is a God and go out to experience him instead of asking people to show them God himself.

Whether it seems unnatural to you or not, time slowing down at high speeds has been proven through experimentation. You don't need to worry about it because we'd need to acheive incredibly high speed (fractions of light speed) for the effect to be noticable and we're not capable of doing that for now.

You do know that due to the distance of certain galaxies from the earth, we see them how they were millions of years ago. Now if man can somehow move at the speed of light or even faster and travel to another galaxy. Chances are that we will expect him to see the earth how it was a million years before his arrival there which is completely ridiculous when you begin to list the implications of a universe with that sort of possibility. A universe where you can experience 2 lives per se.

Now forget about travelling backwards. Let's say you travel forwards in time and see the world a million years later. How can 1 human being age and another won't?...These things do not make sense. It applies to electrons and protons doesn't mean it will apply to a human being ( who is made up of these electrons/protons/neutrons by the way). This is why I insist that time in itself, the period from one moment to another is ****ing independent of matter but the way we measure it isn't. Sometimes science that goes beyong possibilities even when proven right mathematically just can't be true. The earth obeys Newtonian laws for a reason. We don't operate at high speeds because humans aren't subject to time dilation. This is what I think about this subject, it just can't apply to human being because time for us has to be absolute even though how me measure it doesn't have to be. A man can't be ageing while the other one isn't.

GOBB
06-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Solid Snake is a moron. I dont believe in any religion, just that a supreme being exists...GOD. You obviously read another mans reasoning/opinion on why things exists, how they were created etc etc and bought it. Good for u.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 11:19 AM
God D*** Jerm is an idiot. I tried to be nice cuz i thought i was getting to him so i made that gay post about "come to the darkside" so that he could feel better, and now i check on the topic and he is acting like a ****ing idiot. Why cant you get it through your thick skull that what we are saying is true. Jesus, just stop....you are too stupid to grasp the idea. Just keep saying "i call shenanagins" and "i dont believe it" and you will feel much better.

GOBB
06-25-2006, 11:23 AM
God D*** Jerm is an idiot. I tried to be nice cuz i thought i was getting to him so i made that gay post about "come to the darkside" so that he could feel better, and now i check on the topic and he is acting like a ****ing idiot. Why cant you get it through your thick skull that what we are saying is true. Jesus, just stop....you are too stupid to grasp the idea. Just keep saying "i call shenanagins" and "i dont believe it" and you will feel much better.

:roll: :applause: Check your reputation, he probably gave you 100 negatives.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 11:45 AM
lol yea pretty much....every post he didnt agree with he gave me negative. Well, thats my relative theory on it.

"You currently have -2 reputation points."

lol i had 8 last time i looked.

Jerm
06-25-2006, 11:51 AM
lol yea pretty much....every post he didnt agree with he gave me negative. Well, thats my relative theory on it.

You're dumb. I can't give you a rep. more than once because I gotta spread it around or something. Goes to show how your rep. has gone from 8 to -2 based on your idiocy in this thread while mine has gone from -15 to -8. Who's the idiot that can't make a coherent argument again?:confusedshrug:

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, seeing as you had -15 rep before, and even give a **** about rep for that matter, the idiot would be you.

Jerm
06-25-2006, 11:58 AM
:roll:...You can't make an argument because you're not smart. Don't hate on me, just do what you do. Be a ****king retard on your PC.

http://gummibearheads.com/ign/retard_keyboard.gif-Jerm can't touch me. I got a nurse cleaning after me when I sh!t and pee, she even cleans me up every morning. Dang, she got a hot thing for me.

****ing retard.

SHADYMILKMAN
06-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Man, what are you talking about....3 people in this thread have told you that you were wrong, me being the meanest to you. After that you go, "dont believe Einstein, hes wrong", "i call shenanagins", "im gay", ''I just dont believe it", "its only theory"..

its ridiculous. Any argument in the world you could say its only theory. YOu are too proud to admit you had no idea what the hell you were talking about. You had no damn idea what you were saying, we proved you wrong, then you went to websites and looked for help, and finally you said "as a matter of fact its called time dilation" Then you looked at yourself in the mirror and said "damn im smart"

GOBB
06-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Man, what are you talking about....3 people in this thread have told you that you were wrong, me being the meanest to you. After that you go, "dont believe Einstein, hes wrong", "i call shenanagins", "im gay", ''I just dont believe it", "its only theory"..

its ridiculous. Any argument in the world you could say its only theory. YOu are too proud to admit you had no idea what the hell you were talking about. You had no damn idea what you were saying, we proved you wrong, then you went to websites and looked for help, and finally you said "as a matter of fact its called time dilation" Then you looked at yourself in the mirror and said "damn im smart"

Thats complete ownership! :roll:

Sidenote: i call shenanagins? Who says that?!?!!? :wtf: :roll:

Jerm
06-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Any argument in the world you could say its only theory.

Nope. Many arguments are scientific laws. Relativity?...It's still a theory. You haven't shown me why I should believe you. Animals or even ants or w.e. haven't been shown to age slower when they're in higher speed more or less thinking I should believe that a human being will. You have no clue what you're talking about, you're just regurgitating what you read in your physics textbook without capability to think independent of that. You're like a cow,they feed it grass and it just regurgitates it and swallows it back it again.Why you'll choose to think that way?...Jerm doesn't know. The only explanation I can think of is that your brain isn't matured enough. :confusedshrug:

Shadow and PureElement admitted they weren't facts of life. You?...You're telling me they're facts of life. They're smart, you aren't. They think for themselves, you're just a tool.

GOBB
06-25-2006, 01:27 PM
stupid asss loser on this board dont you have anything else to do with your time? i thought you were big bad gangster, shouldnt u be out hustling and hittin bittcches?

I just broke wind and it smells like kobelamarAgain

Bosh4life
06-25-2006, 01:34 PM
stupid asss loser on this board dont you have anything else to do with your time? i thought you were big bad gangster, shouldnt u be out hustling and hittin bittcches?

That is for the night time my friend

Chef
06-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Nope. Many arguments are scientific laws. Relativity?...It's still a theory. You haven't shown me why I should believe you. Animals or even ants or w.e. haven't been shown to age slower when they're in higher speed more or less thinking I should believe that a human being will.

That's not true at all. Relativity has been proven scientifically. Check your facts before posting such trash.

Jerm
06-25-2006, 02:10 PM
It hasn't been proven beyond reasonable doubt. That is the only fact in all of this. Every other thing we are saying are all opinions. Relativity isn't a law in physics.

Laws like aberration, Ampere's law, Archimedes' principle, Gauss' law, you won't see me arguing them on any day.

joe lucky
06-25-2006, 02:26 PM
I like how everyone thinks a rocket is going to be our means of travelling in space. Space-time can be bent (albeit at near infinite energy requirements) that is our best bet of making it out of this galaxy. However, we as a species do not deserve space travel. Think about it. Humanity will spread out like locusts consuming every last resource in this universe likely killing off any chance of other higher species developing. Just watch Star Trek this is the sort of mindset human beings have towards the universe. I just hope if we do develop a means to travel to other inhabitable planets that "higher" species are already present there that could prevent such a disaster.

Shepseskaf
06-25-2006, 02:43 PM

For that matter, how do you think your average person would react?
Actually, extraterrestrial life might be alluded to in the bible, though many would argue with that interpretation.

Genesis 6:2 - ... the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Same chapter, verse 4 - when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Keeping an open mind about the two passages, it seems clear to me that at one point there was another group of beings on the planet called "the sons of God" who were not men. However, they were anatomically similar enough so that they could mate with women. The fact that the children they had with women were giants indicates that the "sons of God" were probably huge. Their DNA, when combined with normal women, made children who were larger and stronger than normal men.

No one has really explained those passages to my satisfaction. I don't believe that the "sons of God" were angels, because there is no other passage in the bible even hinting at angels physically screwing women. Besides, if they were angels, they would have been called that in the aforementioned passages.

So, if they weren't angels, then who were these super-human "sons of God?" Where are they now? Could it be possible that they were extraterrestrials who came down to Earth, then left?

Inquiring minds want to know....

geeWiz15
06-25-2006, 02:49 PM
This is all very interesting. However just one quick point that you might not like. None of this matters. What does matter is that similar dreamers such as yourselves in the federal government are putting billions of dollars into NASA every year, spending all their money and energy trying to figure this shiit out, when there are people starving in the streets of this country, nevermind others.

SecondFiddle
06-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Actually, extraterrestrial life might be alluded to in the bible, though many would argue with that interpretation.

Genesis 6:2 - ... the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Same chapter, verse 4 - when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Keeping an open mind about the two passages, it seems clear to me that at one point there was another group of beings on the planet called "the sons of God" who were not men. However, they were anatomically similar enough so that they could mate with women. The fact that the children they had with women were giants indicates that the "sons of God" were probably huge. Their DNA, when combined with normal women, made children who were larger and stronger than normal men.

No one has really explained those passages to my satisfaction. I don't believe that the "sons of God" were angels, because there is no other passage in the bible even hinting at angels physically screwing women. Besides, if they were angels, they would have been called that in the aforementioned passages.

So, if they weren't angels, then who were these super-human "sons of God?" Where are they now? Could it be possible that they were extraterrestrials who came down to Earth, then left?

Inquiring minds want to know....

If their gametes fused then the Sons of God had to be men, two differnt species from different worlds can't reproduce. isolated populations like populations on different planets would undergo genotype divergence which would cause genetic drift.

PureElement
06-25-2006, 03:01 PM
People starving in the street need to get their acts together. Someday(5 billion years or so from now), the sun is going to super nova and the Earth is going to be destroyed. If humanity is to survive we're gonna have to get off this planet.

Chances are if we don't leave this planet we are probably extinct by then.

Shepseskaf
06-25-2006, 03:08 PM
If their gametes fused then the Sons of God had to be men, two differnt species from different worlds can't reproduce. isolated populations like populations on different planets would undergo genotype divergence which would cause genetic drift.
That's not necessarily so. How do you know that every species outside of Earth is so dissimilar to man that reproduction would be impossible?

Playing the devil's advocate here, its conceivable that another world with similar environmental conditions could give rise to a life form very similar to mankind. Maybe life in the universe isn't as vastly different as we might tend to believe.

Without direct hands-on experience with beings from other planets, that will remain an open question.

Going even deeper, there is more than a hint in a number of ancient documents that the species of man itself is a transplant from other planet - a transplant that was genetically engineered to be more like their "creators." Z. Sitchin promotes that theory in his books.

Still... who were the "sons of God?"

geeWiz15
06-25-2006, 03:13 PM
People starving in the street need to get their acts together. Someday(5 billion years or so from now), the sun is going to super nova and the Earth is going to be destroyed. If humanity is to survive we're gonna have to get off this planet.
It's not that simple, and humanity will be LONG extinct in 5 billion years, get a clue. We're here NOW, we have to worry about the here and now, and in the here and now, AIDS is wiping out an entire continent and we're only putting in 1 billion over the next 4 years to help that but we put that much practically into 20 minutes of NASA operation. It's a waste of time and completely unimportant not just now, but in the future also. Consider that strides we've made as a people in just a couple hundred years; in that time we've practically already wiped out the cot damn ozone layer and we seem to be on the brink of a nuclear holocaust every decade. We're not gonna last 5,000 more years much less 5 billion. Let's take care of our own.

SecondFiddle
06-25-2006, 03:14 PM
That's not necessarily so. How do you know that every species outside of Earth is so dissimilar to man that reproduction would be impossible?

Playing the devil's advocate here, its conceivable that another world with similar environmental conditions could give rise to a life form very similar to mankind. Maybe life in the universe isn't as vastly different as we might tend to believe.

Without direct hands-on experience with beings from other planets, that will remain an open question.

Going even deeper, there is more than a hint in a number of ancient documents that the species of man itself is a transplant from other planet - a transplant that was genetically engineered to be more like their "creators." Z. Sitchin promotes that theory in his books.

Still... who were the "sons of God?"

for a human to reproduce the gametes have to fuse if they are different species the womens reproductive cells would reject the alien sperm cells. As would her white blood cells and if the alien cells somehoe did fuse the body would expell the fetus(miscarriage). Therefore, the two groups Gods and Man had to be the same species.

Shepseskaf
06-25-2006, 03:24 PM
for a human to reproduce the gametes have to fuse if they are different species the womens reproductive cells would reject the alien sperm cells. As would her white blood cells and if the alien cells somehoe did fuse the body would expell the fetus(miscarriage). Therefore, the two groups Gods and Man had to be the same species.
Again, not necessarily the case. Different species can reproduce. Horses and donkeys make mules. There are other examples of this as well.

That's a pretty simple case, but if one contemplates that the "sons of God" might be extraterrestrials with advanced technology, DNA manipulation have bridged the gap and prevented biological roadblocks to producing children.

This is all highly hypothetical, of course, but I've learned that very few things are "impossible" when viewed outside of their normal paradigms.

Basketbolero
06-25-2006, 03:27 PM
I think his contract with the Earth expires next season, so the Earth becomes free agent

Shepseskaf
06-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I said something similar in a previous post. What do you think the odds are that there's extra-terrestrial life out there somewhere nearly identical to us? one-in-a-googolplex? Well, in terms of the universe, those are actually some pretty decent odds.
If mankind along with all life on the Earth were placed here by a Creator, who's to say that entity didn't do the exact same thing in another corner of the universe? Mankind might not be unique. One day, contact might be made by men who bascially look just like us....

Who knows if that will ever happen, but its interesting to think about.

Basketbolero
06-25-2006, 03:57 PM
If mankind along with all life on the Earth were placed here by a Creator, who's to say that entity didn't do the exact same thing in another corner of the universe? Mankind might not be unique. One day, contact might be made by men who bascially look just like us....

Who knows if that will ever happen, but its interesting to think about.
If there were any other human beings out there, I think they would not look like us at all, look at the apes, they have about 99% of the DNA information in common with us and they are pretty different from us. It would also mean they have had the same weather conditions and their evolution have followed the same way, Anyway, it is a thought that makes me think long about...wouldn' it be nice?:confusedshrug:

shadow
06-25-2006, 03:59 PM
The thing is that people have presented miracles to show that this is God at work. Miracles that beat logical explainations. From both the biblical days and present days, miraculous events attributed to the power of God has been reported. This is one reason why billions of people believe that there is a God. You don't need to see him to believe it, all you have to do is experience him in your life. It's funny how countless atheists after coming close to death or contracting a terminal illness suddenly believe that there is a God and go out to experience him instead of asking people to show them God himself.

You do know that due to the distance of certain galaxies from the earth, we see them how they were millions of years ago. Now if man can somehow move at the speed of light or even faster and travel to another galaxy. Chances are that we will expect him to see the earth how it was a million years before his arrival there which is completely ridiculous when you begin to list the implications of a universe with that sort of possibility. A universe where you can experience 2 lives per se.

Now forget about travelling backwards. Let's say you travel forwards in time and see the world a million years later. How can 1 human being age and another won't?...These things do not make sense. It applies to electrons and protons doesn't mean it will apply to a human being ( who is made up of these electrons/protons/neutrons by the way). This is why I insist that time in itself, the period from one moment to another is ****ing independent of matter but the way we measure it isn't. Sometimes science that goes beyong possibilities even when proven right mathematically just can't be true. The earth obeys Newtonian laws for a reason. We don't operate at high speeds because humans aren't subject to time dilation. This is what I think about this subject, it just can't apply to human being because time for us has to be absolute even though how me measure it doesn't have to be. A man can't be ageing while the other one isn't.

On one hand you're arguing the existence of god based on no evidence and then you're trying to disprove something of which we do have evidence? Anyway I won't go into the whole god thing but found that bit amusing. (Not your belief in God, just your argument for it. I believe in God so no issues there).

To respond to your other points.
you're saying that if you move at the speed of light or faster we'll be able to see the earth from the past.
Newsflash!
You can't travel faster than light. Which is what you'd need to do if you want to see earth from the past. The light from the past has already left us. Its like a race. Light's leadind the race and you're running behind trying to catch up but you can't catch up, ever. You can't even match speeds, hence you'll likely never be able to see earth's past unless you ended up in a blackhole where that light is trapped, but in that case time dilation would be the least of your problems. Further even if by some miracle you could see earth's past, whats the big deal. You can't affect the events. Its like watching a movie, which is light trapped on film in a sense.

Regarding your second point, atleast you're admitting that time does indeed slow down as speed increases at the quantum level. It does happen at the macroscopic level, as I've said before, it has been proven via experimentation.
The only thing is that for the effect to be noticable we need to be traveling at a much faster speed then we are capable off.

There are also other issues. As speed increase, so does an object's mass requiring more and more energy to make it go faster. There's no telling what would happen to a person once their mass approaches infinity, and since more mass=more energy needed to push it faster, you can't really ever reach that speed anyway.

Shepseskaf
06-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Very interesting indeed. I love thinking about this stuff. Think about this: the universe stretches infinitely in all directions. Once you get past the perimiter of the ever-outwardly-expanding matter which was created in our Big-Bang, maybe 10 trillion googolplex of light years away, there was a similar 'bang', and somewhere within one of its many galaxies is a solar system eerily similar to ours, with a planet that's identical to ours in every way, only the Germans had won World War Two 60+ years ago. Impossible? Not at all. Actually, if the universe is infinite in size, far-fetched ideas like this are actually a mathematical probability. Think of alternate dimmension ideas, but instead of different dimmesions, VAST distances.
Interesting indeed. I happen to think that even if two far-flung planets were as identical as could be, and essentially the same life-forms sprang up on both - their histories would be totally different. In other words, there would probably not be a group on the "other" planet that were known as "Germans," etc.

But, all of this is pure speculation. If you haven't already read it, you would really enjoy a SF book titled, "Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson. It should be at your local library. To my mind, its the most fascinating, paradigm-shifting look at extraterrestrial interaction with Earth since "Stranger in a Strange Land."

TLV
06-25-2006, 04:48 PM
here's for some interesting reading.

http://www.sitchin.com/

FabCasablancas
06-25-2006, 04:49 PM
The problem I have with that theory is that I don't think infinite space necessarily means infinity possiblities. It could just means infinite space..

Jerm
06-25-2006, 05:19 PM
On one hand you're arguing the existence of god based on no evidence and then you're trying to disprove something of which we do have evidence? Anyway I won't go into the whole god thing but found that bit amusing. (Not your belief in God, just your argument for it. I believe in God so no issues there).

To respond to your other points.
you're saying that if you move at the speed of light or faster we'll be able to see the earth from the past.
Newsflash!
You can't travel faster than light. Which is what you'd need to do if you want to see earth from the past. The light from the past has already left us. Its like a race. Light's leadind the race and you're running behind trying to catch up but you can't catch up, ever. You can't even match speeds, hence you'll likely never be able to see earth's past unless you ended up in a blackhole where that light is trapped, but in that case time dilation would be the least of your problems. Further even if by some miracle you could see earth's past, whats the big deal. You can't affect the events. Its like watching a movie, which is light trapped on film in a sense.

Regarding your second point, atleast you're admitting that time does indeed slow down as speed increases at the quantum level. It does happen at the macroscopic level, as I've said before, it has been proven via experimentation.
The only thing is that for the effect to be noticable we need to be traveling at a much faster speed then we are capable off.

There are also other issues. As speed increase, so does an object's mass requiring more and more energy to make it go faster. There's no telling what would happen to a person once their mass approaches infinity, and since more mass=more energy needed to push it faster, you can't really ever reach that speed anyway.

Shadow, if you travel at the speed of light to some random planet and catch an image of earth, that image of earth is most definitely in the past relative to the time you're at your new destination/planet. I didn't mean past as to the time you were on earth. When you think about the implication that nothing follows a timeline, then this theory becomes straight up ridiculous. There has to be an absolute timeframe somehow somewhere for things to function.

shadow
06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Shadow, if you travel at the speed of light to some random planet and catch an image of earth, that image of earth is most definitely in the past relative to the time you're at your new destination/planet. I didn't mean past as to the time you were on earth. When you think about the implication that nothing follows a timeline, then this theory becomes straight up ridiculous. There has to be an absolute timeframe somehow somewhere for things to function.
OK I get what you're saying, but it is following the time line. Time travels only in one direction, foward. Since you're only going foward in time you're not breaking the timeline. You're only jumping ahead but still abiding by the laws of nature.

Let's go back to the race analogy I used earlier. The race track is the fabric of space-time, and the leader, light is running around at it's speed with myself and a few others are running waaay behind.(Life) If I'm faster than the other people, I get to the finish line before everyone else. So I got from point A to Point B in time before everyone else. For the slower guys, maybe on the way someone tripped and didn't finish, another guy got shot by a terrorist pissed off over people watching too much TV or something...well point being they died because they were too slow in time. Granted its an abstract analogy, but that's the concept.

Finally, as far as the absolute reference of time goes, well look at it this way. When I'm going at light speed or whatever experiencing time dilation, time has slowed down for me relative to the entire universe. So Its not just people on earth who've aged a X number of years. The entire universe has X years.

Anyway, in general though nature has laws in place that we can't overcome, atleast not with our current capability, to reach a point where the effects of time dilation could turn our lives upside down. And in all likelihood we're probably going to blow ourselves to nuclear hell before we even get to that level so its pointless to even worry imo.

And finally I'm not an expert, just read too much on this stuff. I guess there is always the possibility that we're all dead wrong and you're the only guy screaming the truth and no one will listen. If I didn't allow that then it would be kinda pointless to keep learning more because if you think you know something for sure why bother researching it. But for the moment, everything we know points towards this stuff being true, through math, through experient, through reason. And honestly if something like the SToR freaks you out, man I don't know what you'd do if you read up on stuff like uncertainty principle, probability waves and such. That's some seriously f'ed up ****. Now please excuse me for I'm afraid I've blown my cover and everyone knows I'm a big geek by now ;)

Whew too much typing :D

West-Side
06-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I wish more threads like this are created, this was very interesting and enligthening. Good read...

FabCasablancas
06-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Do you like the science aspect or the religious aspect or both?

If you are interested in science discussion check this site out.. underneath each article there is a lot of discussion. It can be difficult to follow at times though because the discussions are so technical.

http://slashdot.org/

Knoe Itawl
06-25-2006, 11:03 PM
One problem I have with the "infinit possibilities" idea, is that if that's so, then some alien race would have created technology that would have allowed it to get this far to our planet and let themselves be known. In fact, infinte other alien civilizations should have been able to do this (by that theory), so where are they?

I most certainly believe in life elsewhere in the universe, and even that there are immense possibilites out there, but with infinite possibilites should come infinite opportunities for aliens to have contacted us.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-26-2006, 10:45 AM
well actually jaydacris may have a point, even though he probably is not aware of it.

in most likelihood, any other form of life that develops may have vastly different biochemical pathways/structures/etc... because all life on Earth came from the same ancestral precedessor which developed out of early Earth enviroments. if life developed elsewhere, if is possible that other lifeforms are vastly different from us and have different methods of metabolism. therefore, they could view Earth as we view Venus... a toxic wasteland.

Knoe Itawl
06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
well actually jaydacris may have a point, even though he probably is not aware of it.

in most likelihood, any other form of life that develops may have vastly different biochemical pathways/structures/etc... because all life on Earth came from the same ancestral precedessor which developed out of early Earth enviroments. if life developed elsewhere, if is possible that other lifeforms are vastly different from us and have different methods of metabolism. therefore, they could view Earth as we view Venus... a toxic wasteland.

Let's say that's possible for millions and billions and trillions of life forms. That still leaves an infinite number left. I would just think that with that many opportunities going on at all times, something would have drifted this way.

Again, that's not to say that there is no possibility of intelligent life, because I think there is, I'm just not sure about this whole "infinite possibilities" idea.

Psileas
06-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Let's say that's possible for millions and billions and trillions of life forms. That still leaves an infinite number left. I would just think that with that many opportunities going on at all times, something would have drifted this way.

Again, that's not to say that there is no possibility of intelligent life, because I think there is, I'm just not sure about this whole "infinite possibilities" idea.

That looks like Enrico Fermi's paradox, if I'm not mistaken.

The thing in this though is that there's an infinite number of "infinities" themselves. To give an example, there are infinite numbers between 100,000 and 100,001. But if you're asked to find any specific number between 1 and 1,000,000, you only have a 1/1,000,000 chance to name any of the infinite numbers between 100,000 and 100,001. I hope you see what I mean.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-26-2006, 11:05 AM

fair argument.

but keep in mind that this thread is merely speculation with some circumstancial evidence. since no one here can truly claim to be an expert, all we have are good ideas.

you can believe whatever you want.

of course there are always those with their own viewpoints on things and force it onto others under the guise of "effective argument." (GOBB)

Knoe Itawl
06-26-2006, 11:12 AM
fair argument.

but keep in mind that this thread is merely speculation with some circumstancial evidence. since no one here can truly claim to be an expert, all we have are good ideas.

you can believe whatever you want.

of course there are always those with their own viewpoints on things and force it onto others under the guise of "effective argument." (GOBB)

Hey, there's nothing I'd like more than for there to be trillions upon trillions of life bearing planets, with intelligent life on a good percentage of them. However, if we're going with infinite possibilities, I have to analyze it from all perspectives, even if I'm not fond of the fact that the possibility I would like is compromised.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Hey, there's nothing I'd like more than for there to be trillions upon trillions of life bearing planets, with intelligent life on a good percentage of them. However, if we're going with infinite possibilities, I have to analyze it from all perspectives, even if I'm not fond of the fact that the possibility I would like is compromised.

oh yeah yeah I know I wasn't meaning to insult you subtly in that thread.

i didnt mean to sound so hostile.

bagelred
06-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Wow, the star Antares makes our planet look like a spec of dust. Yikes.

Hey, look...I can see Uranus....lolol...lmao...get it? uranus? lol lol lol....

well SOMEBODY had to say the obvious Uranus joke...sheesh....

bagelred
06-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I think a few people actually beat you to the punch, actually.

I know...too lazy to read the whole thread

Laker Logic
06-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Seems to me like too many people want to assume that "intelligent life" means "highly intelligent life in a form we could recognize." I guess it's the science fiction fan in all of us.

It's just as likely that intelligent life would be less intelligent than humans as it is that it would be more so. If "intelligence" is the ability to both percieve and manipulate one's environment - the variety of intelligences that could conceivably exist is as infinite as all these other possibilities. An organism that has evolved to exploit an environment much different than this one would be intelligent in an entirely different sense than we understand the term - and there's no guarantee we'd recognize it/them as intelligent.

Was it the MIB movie where there was a whole, highly advanced society that existed on a microscopic scale, and people were walking around crushing entire civilizations underfoot?

As much as I'm intrigued by the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe (which I do believe probably exists) I think it's probably best, for them and for us, if we keep our distance.

JohnnySic
06-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Great thread. Science is cool.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-26-2006, 02:23 PM
I agree completely. People always assume that intelligent alien life's going to be much more advanced than we are, when that simply won't be the case probably 50% of the time. For all we know the closest intelligent alien life to us is still in the infacny of their evolution, and someday WE are going to be the scary invaders dropping in on them and abducting THEM to study them or whatever...:D

i think you should equate intelligent life form to sentient life form for now.

Timmeh
06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
To think that there is intelligent life on other planets is basically all up to what you believe. Is there INTELLIGENT life on other planets? Not likely. If there is any "life" on other planets it's probably some Amoeba's and other small single celled organisms. I've been reading in a few places and astronomers are finding massive planets of just ice and rock that are hundreds of times larger than Jupiter. But looking through these pictures really does put the entire universe into perspective at how large and vast it truly is. The size of these stars is incredible. It really makes you think but it's really hard to grasp the whole concept of how the universe is and how the stars and everything work and became what they are.

Unregistered
06-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Not likely? It's actually a mathematic probability. T.

I've actually read that the odds are against life to form unaided/sponatenously. Sir Fred Hoyle, an atheist calculated the odds of the most simple form of life forming on our planet, and it's actually mathematically impossible.

SecondFiddle
06-27-2006, 06:43 PM
I've actually read that the odds are against life to form unaided/sponatenously. Sir Fred Hoyle, an atheist calculated the odds of the most simple form of life forming on our planet, and it's actually mathematically impossible.

That is true, the Star has to be the perfect size and the planet has to be at the perfect distance and the planet must have an atmosphere. plus a number of other smaller factors

aceofbass
07-04-2006, 04:34 PM
this thread is amazing, i love it.
just think of this now, M-theory states that we are just one of the many universe out there.
even more ridiculous is the fact that atoms, are the smallest whole unit we know. these govern everything, so even if we feel that we are insignificant in this universe, just look to the idea, that just because we are small it does not mean we have no impact.
Man kind is just waiting for that one scientific breakthrough. when it comes, this is going to become a moral debate as to whether space travel is meant for humans.

once again, great thread, and sorry for bad spelling and grammar, did this in a rush

SixerFan03
07-04-2006, 09:57 PM
This is a weird thread. There are things being discussed here that I would never imagine people would talk about. There is relativity, aliens, and religion in one thread. I can't believe I missed it for 16 pages.

The relativity theory is strange because Time is an invention. But the effects of time are not. They are related to speed. There is no known way to become fast enough for the theory to matter on the human scale (It has an effect on the atomic level, of course)

How long does it take from Earth to pluto? Can a human physically be placed in a spaceship to that destination? And if they cant why create a planet out of reach to man? Man is making great advancements when it deals with outter space.

The rocket that was just launched to Pluto last year will take 9 years to get there. I wonder if it would be possible to create a rocket large enough to support people for 9 years. I would guess that it would have to be very large with an entire colony of life. There is no way something that large could be launched. But using my sci-fi brain, I would say that it would have to be launched in parts and built in space like a space station.

aceofbass
07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
I read somewhere that it is virutally, economically impossible to do deep space travel because for example what i read said
to travel to pluto, for a spaceship to support human beings, it would use the same amount of energy that new york city consumes in 100 years. Unless we can somehow make anti-matter possible on this big a scale, or make better use of ion propulsion, i think it will never happen. It just costs too much.

SixerFan03
07-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I read somewhere that it is virutally, economically impossible to do deep space travel because for example what i read said
to travel to pluto, for a spaceship to support human beings, it would use the same amount of energy that new york city consumes in 100 years. Unless we can somehow make anti-matter possible on this big a scale, or make better use of ion propulsion, i think it will never happen. It just costs too much.

That amount of power seems to high. I'm only saying this because probes have been sent to Pluto before. While there is some matter in space, I don't think there is enough to slow down any object. So a large spacecraft would travel at the same speed (roughly) and take the same power (roughly) as a small spacecraft. The biggest concern would be electricity, air, food, and water to feed a lot of people (and probably animals) for 9 years.

catzhernandez
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
I love this thread.

Hoopla
03-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Anyone interested in this thread (anyone who hasn't already done so, at least) should buy themselves a copy of "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan. Although it was written some time ago, it answers a lot of the questions you're all asking and addresses such issues as non-carbon based life forms and the possibility of life on other planets. Amazing book.

__________________________________________________ _____________-

Double Your Playing Time, Increase Your Confidence and Triple Your Chances For Getting In The NBA
www.best-basketball-tips.com/awaken-the-jordan-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
www.best-basketball-tips.com

JtotheIzzo
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Anyone interested in this thread (anyone who hasn't already done so, at least) should buy themselves a copy of "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan. Although it was written some time ago, it answers a lot of the questions you're all asking and addresses such issues as non-carbon based life forms and the possibility of life on other planets. Amazing book.

Double Your Playing Time, Increase Your Confidence and Triple Your Chances For Getting In The NBA

I hate you and will always hate you until you drop the sig. Seriously, drop it.

catzhernandez
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM

Wtf?

How much time does that take to add that?

miller-time
03-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Some day Antares will make for a damned nice black hole.

i don't think those types of stars create black holes. only neutrons or white dwarfs.

ILballa
03-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Wtf?

How much time does that take to add that?
I think he just has it saved and pastes it in everytime.

Jailblazers7
03-27-2009, 01:25 AM
The Carl Sagan reference made me think of Music of the Cosmos. I didn't know of it or Carl Sagan until the Nardwuar interview of N.E.R.D. was posted on ISH. Really beautiful music.

http://www.odinartcollectables.com/images/record%20Music%20of%20the%20cosmos.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJLc6J4Uz-M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZ55X3X4pk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0QQJfPi3ps&feature=related

Take Your Lumps
03-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Mother****in Carl Sagan :bowdown:

Got this for Christmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Carl-Sagan-DVD-Set/dp/B000055ZOB

catzhernandez
03-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Mother****in Carl Sagan :bowdown:

Got this for Christmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Carl-Sagan-DVD-Set/dp/B000055ZOB
Good ****.

FultzNationRISE
02-13-2021, 12:25 AM
Damn, people used to have shit to say around here (even if a lot of it was questionable).

Fascinating!