PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons just randomly went bonkers on Twitter

SpecialQue
05-31-2012, 12:03 PM
It appears last night's game broke him.

Bill Simmons ‏@sportsguy33

In playoffs: LBJ ranks 2nd in MPG (41.1), 1st in FTA (10.8), 15th in RPG (9.2), 4th in steals (2.2) ... and 104th in fouls per game (1.8).

Even MJ never averaged less than 2 fouls per game in the playoffs. Here, look. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

Last night's officiating travesty wasn't just about the 2 missed calls in OT. LBJ/Battier/Wade were reffed differently than Pierce. Period.

PS: The irony is that LBJ, Wade and Battier are 3 of the league's most aggressive players. They were given carte blanche last night. Fact.

Last night's shot chart negates any "Miami takes it to the hoop more" argument. http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=320530014 Oh and Miami took 11 more 3's.

Last point: it's not about favoring teams, but favoring STARS. That's what the NBA does. My '06 column still holds: http://tinyurl.com/mj7fz

PS: Shame of Game 2 is that I'll remember the refs as much as Rondo going all 53 in 1 of the greatest Celtic performances ever. Thanks, NBA.

Kurosawa0
05-31-2012, 12:06 PM
He gets really childish about this stuff sometimes. You'd think someone in his position and who's been around for awhile wouldn't be so over the top with his homerisms.

Batz
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Did he really use the shot-chart argument?

SpecialQue
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
This was all in a 10 minute span, after he already commented on it last night. He's just not letting this one go.

It's A VC3!!!
05-31-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't care what anybody says. People need to appreciate what Bill Simmons is doing. He is standing up to the insanity that the NBA created for superstars and elite franchises. Any NBA fan who has docked more then a decade of NBA games under their belt is fully aware of the travesty Bill Simmons is preaching.

Every year I have been watching less and less NBA games due to horrible officiating and the way David Stern runs this league. Bill Simmons will not stop and I applaud him for that.:applause:

We need to follow in his footsteps and end this bullshit too.

BankShot
05-31-2012, 12:11 PM

We??

End this bullshit??

Whiny internet users mean nothing to a billion-dollar industry like the NBA. :roll:

The_Yearning
Dude knows more about basketball than this entire forum.

Batz
I don't care what anybody says. People need to appreciate what Bill Simmons is doing. He is standing up to the insanity that the NBA created for superstars and elite franchises. Any NBA fan who has docked more then a decade of NBA games under their belt is fully aware of the travesty Bill Simmons is preaching.

Every year I have been watching less and less NBA games due to horrible officiating and the way David Stern runs this league. Bill Simmons will not stop and I applaud him for that.:applause:

Only worrying thing here is LeBron 1.8 fpg. Sure, the guy avoids contact on the defensive end, but not that much. Sheesh.

Stern
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
I agree with him even JVG noted last night that Lebron nevdr fouls for someone who is really over aggressive on defense.

SpecialQue
05-31-2012, 12:13 PM

I don't remember him screaming about one-sided reffing during that Celtics/Hawks series.

DirtySanchez
05-31-2012, 12:13 PM
He is a Boston homer who hates LeBron since the Decision.
Not surprised...but I do agree with him. The series will be called differently in Boston you will see. But the main problem for the C's is age. Who knows how KG and Allen will perform.

Kurosawa0
05-31-2012, 12:15 PM
I agree with him even JVG noted last night that Lebron nevdr fouls for someone who is really over aggressive on defense.

Tim Duncan has averaged the same amount of fouls LeBron in the playoffs. Duncan is virtually the only rim protector for the Spurs. Does that mean the refs are favoring him?

wang4three
05-31-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't think he "randomly" went bonkers. It's clear he's reacting to last night.

BlackWhiteGreen
05-31-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't remember him screaming about one-sided reffing during that Celtics/Hawks series.

Miss game 1, did you?

Rekindled
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Tim Duncan has averaged the same amount of fouls LeBron in the playoffs. Duncan is virtually the only rim protector for the Spurs. Does that mean the refs are favoring him?

spurs dont foul, that's popvich memo. plus who is duncan guarding, perkins? lol , when duarnt westbrook harden takes 95% of their shots

Batz
He's not overly aggresive.

Lebron is a free-roamer on defense. Kinda like what Kobe is, but he actually puts in efforts. LeBron roams and switches constantly, disrupts the offense with his off-ball defense and playing the lanes like a mad man and collapsing. Which is why he'll be pretty lethal against the Spurs.

Kinda like that Ray Allen three last night that tied the game. Lebron completely sagged off him to disrupt the Celtic offense, it didn't work, but he does that constantly and it works.

He occasionally takes lock-down duties. He switched over on-to Rondo late in the game, it didn't work because for some reason Spo insisted on switching the PnR for whatever reason.

wang4three

Could be. Wouldn't be the first time people have argued that Tim has been extended a great amount of latitude from refs.

Kurosawa0
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
spurs dont foul, that's popvich memo. plus who is duncan guarding, perkins? lol , when duarnt westbrook harden takes 95% of their shots

Al Jefferson and Blake Griffin?

It's A VC3!!!
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
We??

End this bullshit??

Whiny internet users mean nothing to a billion-dollar industry like the NBA. :roll:

Your right. Absolutely right.

I know that we cannot do anything to change the way the NBA is ran but people who have as much power ans spotlight as Bill Simmons need to keep coming at the league with this ferocity and intensity.

And Bill Simmons is a Celtics homer, but this isn't a reference to just this one series. This travesty has been going on for the last decade that I watched the NBA for.

Kurosawa0
05-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Could be. Wouldn't be the first time people have argued that Tim has been extended a great amount of latitude from refs.

Here's the thing. Do we really watch the games and see LeBron clearly fouling and it not being called? He's very, very good at defending without fouling.

arifgokcen
05-31-2012, 12:24 PM

+1111

Lebron maybe the only guy that never goes for shot fakes.He never tries to block the jumpshooter and lastly he never commits those ticky-tack fouls.

Bill Simmons is the second most stupid analysts right behind Skip/S.A.Smith combo.

Bynum averaged less fouls than lebron and he is one of the best shotblockers in the game.Duncan basically averaged same fouls per game.Some players dont foul and stupid people like bill simmons just look at the stat sheet and decide refs dont call a foul onhim

markymark
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM

Amen. The NBA today is 90% boolsheet.

Teanett
05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
simmons already pointed this out during miami vs knicks.
stars get called differently, it's blatantly obviuos.
remember the treatment kobe got vs harden?

Droid101
05-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Probably. Stern needs a small-market team to win sometimes to help make small-market owners feel better.

tpols
05-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Current Duncan?:oldlol: Hes nowhere near as aggressive as Lebron is.

pegasus
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
simmons already pointed this out during miami vs knicks.
stars get called differently, it's blatantly obviuos.
remember the treatment kobe got vs harden?

At least Harden got a bunch of calls on the other end for barreling into defenders. What did Pierce get? Fouled out.

RidonKs
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
couple of okc dunk attempts in the last two games that duncan successfully contested would probably have been called fouls on any other average big man. duncan very obviously gets the benefit of the doubt from refs at both ends of the floor, and has been for a decade now. at least he's mostly cut out those wide eyed "wtf did i do???" expressions that used to accompany absolutely every single call that went against him, fair or no.

simmons is on point in a few regards there. tho i wouldn't exactly call last night a travesty like he seems to want to do. rondo's game is less memorable not because it was eclipsed by horrendous officiating but because he loss the game. that's just the way it works.

Kurosawa0
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Current Duncan?:oldlol: Hes nowhere near as aggressive as Lebron is.

His age should mean he fouls more.

Teanett
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
one other thing: why doesnt wade get t'ed up for his stare down on kg?
:confusedshrug:

i bet you if pierce would've taunted battier after he dunked on him he would get ejected!

Horatio33
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM

Stolen from Hollinger.

Yao Ming's Foot
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
When will the 17 time champion Boston Celtics and their 4 all stars/3 Hall of Famers ever catch a break?

:cry:

nba_55
05-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Are there any tweets of Simmons complaining about refs helping Celtics against Hawks? If yes, then, he is legit, if not, he s another Celtics homer and Heat hater.

Dictator
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
We??

End this bullshit??

What would happen is 85% of nba fans stopped going to games? :facepalm

Rose
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Are there any tweets of Simmons complaining about refs helping Celtics against Hawks? If yes, then, he is legit, if not, he s another Celtics homer and Heat hater.
He applauded the refs, and wanted to give them a fruit basket!!!!

Parps
05-31-2012, 02:00 PM

yes, because shot charts show all drives where they were fouled and didn't score...what a dumba$$ :hammerhead:

cteach111
05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
fans can complain all they want, but here's the bottomline: as long as you're funding the league, not a damn thing will change.

It makes perfect sense too. Why would the league change a very successful formula that brings in the money? Stars sell... no matter how fabricated you think the league is. Deal with it.

BlackWhiteGreen
05-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Great quote from Doc:

Reporter: Doc, I genuinely don't want to get you in trouble here, but when the game is so tight and there's such a narrow margin of error, when you get in foul trouble and the 5050 calls, is it tough to overcome that when you're on the road in a situation like this?
Doc Rivers: Can you call it something else besides 5050 calls? Can you come up with another percentage for me?
Reporter: I might.
Rivers: Go ahead and do it.
Reporter: A couple of calls could have gone either way. It seemed like they went against you.
Rivers: What would that be? What percentage? I'm not saying anything. I would like you to say it.
Reporter: I know what you're saying.
Rivers: OK.

Snoop_Cat
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Simmons' outrage has been fueled by the ridiculous calls against the Celtics but it's not purely the homer in him, he's been crying against it for the longest time, so can people please stop calling him a homer.

There is honestly nothing we can do. What, is everyone in the world going to boycott the finals or something? Of course not. The best we can hope for is for significantly coaches, players, and the media to spine up and launch some sort of mass complaint or publicly speaking about the blatant bias. I'm talking about front page articles in the sports section depicting the bias, but this sort of thing will never happen.

cltcfn2924
05-31-2012, 02:36 PM

UUUM, does the chart lie???

nba_55
05-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Simmons' outrage has been fueled by the ridiculous calls against the Celtics but it's not purely the homer in him, he's been crying against it for the longest time, so can people please stop calling him a homer.

There is honestly nothing we can do. What, is everyone in the world going to boycott the finals or something? Of course not. The best we can hope for is for significantly coaches, players, and the media to spine up and launch some sort of mass complaint or publicly speaking about the blatant bias. I'm talking about front page articles in the sports section depicting the bias, but this sort of thing will never happen.

did he complaint about the refs helping the celtics against the hawks?

Snoop_Cat
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM

No, but do you honestly believe the discrepancy is as great as it has been in this series.

I'm just saying, it's not out of the blue due to homerism. But it's fact that he's clearly made a big effort to call out the NBA in numerous series where the refereeing was heavily biased. I dislike both Boston and Miami and I know that unequal refereeing is a common thing, but the fact that it was that significant on national TV is shameful.

LA_Showtime
05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
What do you mean by randomly? It's pretty damn obvious why he went bonkers. Look at the stat sheet, it's hilarious. LeBron was what, 18-24 from the free throw line? My God.

scm5
05-31-2012, 02:51 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with Simmons on this. Its easy to see that the NBA wants/needs the Heat to win.

I guess our last hope is for the Spurs to dominate them.

Oh yah, watch the Spurs start getting called for fouls like crazy once they play the Heat.

nba_55
05-31-2012, 02:54 PM
No, but do you honestly believe the discrepancy is as great as it has been in this series.

I'm just saying, it's not out of the blue due to homerism. But it's fact that he's clearly made a big effort to call out the NBA in numerous series where the refereeing was heavily biased. I dislike both Boston and Miami and I know that unequal refereeing is a common thing, but the fact that it was that significant on national TV is shameful.

Yes it has been. Refs changed the outcome of the series. Hawks could have easily won that game and they would have won game 7 in their home with HOrford.
It s clear that this guy is a Cs homer and Heat hater. Why didnt he complaint about refs helping La in game 3 of 2nd round?
He should have clearly call out the refs the celtics.

Lebron23
05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Simmons is a nut job. I also don't like his voice. Why did ESPN Fired him?

Jef
05-31-2012, 02:59 PM
i've always liked simmons based on the fact that he is so up front about his rooting interests.

how many guys get hired/promoted/etc and settle back into vague, non-biased company lines? whether you like the celtics or agree with him doesnt matter - this is just a huge sports fan who made an opportunity for himself and really didnt let it change him.

he is knowledgeable and a good writer, and lets his emotions take over sometimes because he doenst hide who his teams are - not all writers should be like that, but it's good to have at least one.

R.I.P.
05-31-2012, 03:00 PM
What a shocker that Bron never fouls people, he also never travels. Is that something new? Even FIBA let him and Wade get away with it, because they were afraid Team USA would stop sending its superstars, if they lost again. I wonder what will happen in London now that America has re-established itself. :lol

R.I.P.
05-31-2012, 03:03 PM
i've always liked simmons based on the fact that he is so up front about his rooting interests.

how many guys get hired/promoted/etc and settle back into vague, non-biased company lines? whether you like the celtics or agree with him doesnt matter - this is just a huge sports fan who made an opportunity for himself and really didnt let it change him.

he is knowledgeable and a good writer, and lets his emotions take over sometimes because he doenst hide who his teams are - not all writers should be like that, but it's good to have at least one.

Well Simmons is the goofy uncle fan writer ESPN employs for the "balance reporting" much like SAS. ESPN corporate sponsors see them as comedians, while the rest serioulsy dicksucks in line.

LA_Showtime
05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Simmons isn't any different from the ten or so nut jobs on here who post with multiple accounts and rep themselves. Well, he is different, sort of. He is smart.

JellyBean
05-31-2012, 03:06 PM

Yeah, he went there. I swear the dude is losing it.

Heavincent
05-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Stern is gonna make this guy disappear.

BlackWhiteGreen
05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Yes it has been. Refs changed the outcome of the series. Hawks could have easily won that game and they would have won game 7 in their home with HOrford.
It s clear that this guy is a Cs homer and Heat hater. Why didnt he complaint about refs helping La in game 3 of 2nd round?
He should have clearly call out the refs the celtics.

Show me any other call from the Atlanta series, and you might have a point. You forgot that "foul" on Bass for the loose ball that got Rondo tossed and suspended?

BlackWhiteGreen
05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=3KPfIV0wHW0

This shows Pierce's fouls, first two are ticky tack and don't need to be called, the 5th is debatable, and the 6th he definitely went straight up.

triangleoffense
05-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Many not the entire forum but he's been watching about 40 years of basketball.

[quote=Simmons]

B
05-31-2012, 03:34 PM
UUUM, does the chart lie???Simmons is using the shot chart because Cowherd spent an hour this morning defending the refs saying the Heat took all their shots in the paint and the Celtics score from the perimeter. Simmons was pointing out the Celtics score just as much in the paint as the Heat do. Cowherd as usual was making things up as he goes along with no real research.

B
05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Simmons is a nut job. I also don't like his voice. Why did ESPN Fired him?ESPN didn't fire him. He still works for them

Droid101
05-31-2012, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=B

B
05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Technically, not really. He runs his own site now and ESPN sometimes links to a story he does there (but definitely not all of them).
The bottom of Grantland home page

[QUOTE]

markymark
05-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Simmons is a nut job. I also don't like his voice. Why did ESPN Fired him?

:oldlol: you got some serious issues man...

and it's "fire" btw.

bsyde82
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
People dissing Bill Simmons on this forum is laughable. His NBA knowledge, not to mention his deep NBA connections, makes him more credible than anyone on this site could ever dream of being. And like some others have said, he doesn't hide his homerism. He frequently admits it. He openly admits his biases towards certain teams/players. E.g. his begrudging respect for Kobe.

And among those tweets is an article he wrote in 2006 about the infamous 2006finals. So he's been banging this drum for a while.

Me personally, I didn't see blatant one-sided officiating in terms of volume of bad calls, but the timing of bad calls was very suspect IMO.

And listening to colin cowherd this morning (don't know why I keep subjecting myself to him) defending the NBA was excruciating. I guess I only have myself to blame for the fact that this idiot still has a gig.

bsyde82
05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
:oldlol: you got some serious issues man...

and it's "fire" btw.

Yea, ESPN didn't fire him. In fact, it's quite the opposite. He got so popular, his popularity demanded a spin off site in which he is now Editor in Chief. So yea, he's pretty big time now.

OldSchoolBBall
05-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Umm, Duncan actually has several postseasons of basically 3 (like 2.95) or 3+ fouls per game (as many as 3.4). Lebron has never even averaged more than 2.5 PF/gm in the postseason in the last 4 years.

DJ Leon Smith
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Technically, not really. He runs his own site now and ESPN sometimes links to a story he does there (but definitely not all of them).

ESPN gave him his own site. They promoted him.

ZenMaster
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM

He doesn't say refs help certain teams, but certain players.

DJ Leon Smith
05-31-2012, 04:09 PM

No, but he mentioned it.

https://twitter.com/sportsguy33/status/204739829383168000

Blue&Orange
05-31-2012, 04:10 PM
So many people criticizing him, but not one rebuttal of anything he said.

TheBluest
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Yea, ESPN didn't fire him. In fact, it's quite the opposite. He got so popular, his popularity demanded a spin off site in which he is now Editor in Chief. So yea, he's pretty big time now.

I think his writing is subject for debate as being good. If anything it's stale and predictable but he does have a good sense of basketball history and he can be objective when he's not homering the Celtics or Clippers.

But his relationship with BSPN must be very strong as you pointed out as he continues to do the BS Report with BSPN affiliates and he continues to make occasional on air appearances.

He's just so over the top sometimes but he isn't stating anything wrong here.

PJR
05-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Lebatard just owned him on his radio show...:oldlol:

cteach111
05-31-2012, 04:15 PM
i dunno, i do find some of these games to be absurd. Did Boston really deserve 4 technicals in the first game? Did Pierce really deserve to be thrown out last year in Game 1? Then again, the Hawks/Knicks have gotten shafted on calls in the past against the Celtics. I think the refs get caught up in the intensity of the game at times and that's mostly due to a team having HC.

HC plays a major role in how refs call the game.

chips93
05-31-2012, 04:53 PM
We??

End this bullshit??

this reminds me of when, during the lockout, some dude made a thread, encouraging people to boycott the nba for a season

cteach111
05-31-2012, 05:09 PM
this reminds me of when, during the lockout, some dude made a thread, encouraging people to boycott the nba for a season

even worse are the posters who fill obligated to email a complaint to the NBA.

what a joke.

MostHated305
05-31-2012, 05:26 PM
My God grown men crying like babies about freaking officiating?

How about hoping your team plays better ball.

The refs don't shoot jump shots.

You know what? Just stop watching the NBA all together.

I'm sick of this constant crying and complaining.

F*gs.

MostHated305
05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Umm, Duncan actually has several postseasons of basically 3 (like 2.95) or 3+ fouls per game (as many as 3.4). Lebron has never even averaged more than 2.5 PF/gm in the postseason in the last 4 years.

So it's absolutely crazy to think the LBJ is a better defender?

and that he can defend well without fouling?

The logic is weak with this one.

Upgrayedd
05-31-2012, 05:29 PM
I can't believe some of you guys don't think this is rigged. :oldlol:

LA_Showtime
05-31-2012, 06:49 PM
I couldn't care less about LeBron's inability to foul, but it's ****ing annoying watching that guy OBVIOUSLY goaltend and get away with it.

Droid101
05-31-2012, 06:52 PM
So it's absolutely crazy to think the LBJ is a better defender?

and that he can defend well without fouling?

The logic is weak with this one.
No, what we're bordering here is the greatest defender in history, if he's able to be so aggressive and yet not pick up fouls.

Do you think that's likely?

G-train
05-31-2012, 06:54 PM

no he doesn't, not even close.
he is a celtic homer media random that has carved a niche with a particular audience and plays to their tune.

G-train
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Obvious is obvious.
We all know and agree that the NBA is about the stars.
Simmons is just sulking because his team lost.
The Heat deserved their foul calls, and not many were missed throughout the game. He is acting like a whiny little biatch.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Game was just poorly officiated. How Rondo gets BLATANTLY swiped across the face (by Wade of course) without there being a foul called is beyond me. Meanwhile, Lebron gets to bulldoze into players and is awarded two FT's. :oldlol:

B
05-31-2012, 07:04 PM
So many people criticizing him, but not one rebuttal of anything he said.The natural order of things on ISH is to shoot the messenger, that way you don't have to actually think, and not thinking is far easier than arguing the message.

G-train
05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=3KPfIV0wHW0

This shows Pierce's fouls, first two are ticky tack and don't need to be called, the 5th is debatable, and the 6th he definitely went straight up.

Seriously GTFO. Pierce was not straight up. He put his hands in the air and jumped into him late, it was a terrible defensive play. Then stood there with his hands straight up. Yes Paul your hands were up, but you ran over too late and jumped into Wade as he jumped. The shooter will always get a foul in that situation with heavy contact. He had to rotate earlier or allow a layup, OR foul him. Unfortunately for him he already had 5 fouls.
In general, Pierce cannot handle Lebron anymore. He is too slow and weak in his advnaced years. He resorts to illegal measures to try to stop him.
The Heat are simply too good now. Don't even have Bosh.
Honestly it's no surprise if you watched the Celtics in rd 2.

ILLsmak
05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Simmons isn't any different from the ten or so nut jobs on here who post with multiple accounts and rep themselves. Well, he is different, sort of. He is smart.

Yeah, and he's got a JOB.

Plus, writing takes talent. The ability to express yourself in words, even using conversational language, is rare. He's a good writer who likes sports.

I think it's cool, but he should have known people were gonna call him a sore loser.

-Smak

G-train
05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Game was just poorly officiated. How Rondo gets BLATANTLY swiped across the face (by Wade of course) without there being a foul called is beyond me. Meanwhile, Lebron gets to bulldoze into players and is awarded two FT's. :oldlol:

Deal with it. Missed calls happen.
This Rondo foul is so overhyped. He had already shot the ball and got a little love tap and it was missed by the refs. They are down 2 after the haslem slam. The game was still winnable. If had of got off his ass instead of doing his best Wade impersonation it might have helped kill the break. He could have got downcourt and blocked pass to Haslem.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-31-2012, 07:15 PM
:cry: :mad: :( :rant

Literally all I got from your post.

BlackWhiteGreen
05-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Seriously GTFO. Pierce was not straight up. He put his hands in the air and jumped into him late, it was a terrible defensive play. Then stood there with his hands straight up. Yes Paul your hands were up, but you ran over too late and jumped into Wade as he jumped. The shooter will always get a foul in that situation with heavy contact. He had to rotate earlier or allow a layup, OR foul him. Unfortunately for him he already had 5 fouls.
In general, Pierce cannot handle Lebron anymore. He is too slow and weak in his advnaced years. He resorts to illegal measures to try to stop him.
The Heat are simply too good now. Don't even have Bosh.
Honestly it's no surprise if you watched the Celtics in rd 2.

Nope, he clearly stops with 2 feet then jumps straight up. Watch the other angles.

But yes, there is no way that Pierce (injured knee ligaments, 34) can stop James (totally healthy, and the best player in the world).

tmacattack33
05-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Nope, he clearly stops with 2 feet then jumps straight up. Watch the other angles.

But yes, there is no way that Pierce (injured knee ligaments, 34) can stop James (totally healthy, and the best player in the world).

LOL.

I guess you don't know the rule then.

His arm's were not straight up.

It doesn't matter if he "jumped" straight up. I put jump in quotes because Pierce got about 4 inches off the ground in that play, LOL at the old guy.

RazorBaLade
05-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Deal with it. Missed calls happen.
This Rondo foul is so overhyped. He had already shot the ball and got a little love tap and it was missed by the refs. They are down 2 after the haslem slam. The game was still winnable. If had of got off his ass instead of doing his best Wade impersonation it might have helped kill the break. He could have got downcourt and blocked pass to Haslem.

why no missed calls on miami tho? why does it always work out in wades/lbj favors?

JMT
05-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Here's the thing. Do we really watch the games and see LeBron clearly fouling and it not being called? He's very, very good at defending without fouling.

It's ISH. The majority of posters here wouldn't know what to watch for in a game if you made them a chart.

They simply buy into the reaction du jour and pretend they have some understanding of how the game is actually played.

Simmons is often funny, sometimes insightful. What he definitely isn't is unbiased. He's the biggest homer in the world of sports "journalism" that isn't actually employed by a team.

It's A VC3!!!
05-31-2012, 08:51 PM
The first two were not fouls whatsoever. The third is iffy and the last three are clear fouls. These fouls didn't lose them the game because Rondo took over the game but this is a leery league where this has been going on for over a decade.

chips93
05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
The first two were not fouls whatsoever. The third is iffy and the last three are clear fouls. These fouls didn't lose them the game because Rondo took over the game but this is a leery league where this has been going on for over a decade.

pierce is their best scorer, and he fouled out and missed OT, whether they were bad calls or not, it doubtless had a big impact on the outcome of the game

Charlie Sheen
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
The first two were not fouls whatsoever.

If Wade physically moves Ray Allen off his spot when he's coming off a screen, is that a foul?

The second foul, Pierce's forearm looks to be positioned in the lower back of James, forcing him off his spot. That's a pretty common call.

At no time may the forearm be used to dislodge, reroute or impede the offensive player.

http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

tmacattack33
05-31-2012, 09:52 PM
If Wade physically moves Ray Allen off his spot when he's coming off a screen, is that a foul?

The second foul, Pierce's forearm looks to be positioned in the lower back of James, forcing him off his spot. That's a pretty common call.

http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

No dude, it didn't LOOK to be positioned anywhere. It WAS positioned on Lebron's back. It was either an arm check (which is a foul these days) or the ref felt Pierce pushed and dislodged Lebron which is obviously a foul as well.

Don't let some butthurt haters make you waste your effort to explain to them that their team got beat and the Heat are playing great ball.

Charlie Sheen
05-31-2012, 10:01 PM
No dude, it didn't LOOK to be positioned anywhere. It WAS positioned on Lebron's back. It was either an arm check (which is a foul these days) or the ref felt Pierce pushed and dislodged Lebron which is obviously a foul as well.

Don't let some butthurt haters make you waste your effort to explain to them that their team got beat and the Heat are playing great ball.

:cheers:

that's how i saw it...fullscreened the yt link... replayed it 3 and 4 times.

gilalizard
05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Simmons speaking the truth.

LeBron gets called for a historically low amount of fouls, while being a highly aggressive player on defense.

RaininTwos
05-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Many not the entire forum but he's been watching about 40 years of basketball.

There's probably very few posters on ISH could make that astute of an observation.
GTFO, thats common knowledge.

markymark
06-01-2012, 12:50 PM
People dissing Bill Simmons on this forum is laughable. His NBA knowledge, not to mention his deep NBA connections, makes him more credible than anyone on this site could ever dream of being. And like some others have said, he doesn't hide his homerism. He frequently admits it. He openly admits his biases towards certain teams/players. E.g. his begrudging respect for Kobe.

And among those tweets is an article he wrote in 2006 about the infamous 2006finals. So he's been banging this drum for a while.

Me personally, I didn't see blatant one-sided officiating in terms of volume of bad calls, but the timing of bad calls was very suspect IMO.

And listening to colin cowherd this morning (don't know why I keep subjecting myself to him) defending the NBA was excruciating. I guess I only have myself to blame for the fact that this idiot still has a gig.

My sentiments, exactly. His being openly biased to some teams and players actually makes him a lot more credible than other journalists since we know where he's coming from.

I never fail to laugh my ass off when reading his mailbag editions.

BS is the sh*T!