PDA

View Full Version : Who's the most disrespected former great NBA player on InsideHoops?

kidachi
05-31-2012, 10:47 PM
who do you think? let's discuss..

EDIT: LET'S LIMIT IT TO PAST PLAYERS ONLY.

FireDavidKahn
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Garnett?

GOBB
05-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Iverson.

Vienceslav
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Bird,Oscar Robertson.

Kobe 4 The Win
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Bob Petit. He doesn't even exist here.

After that it's Kobe

Next Lebron

CelticBaller
05-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Allen Iverson

CavaliersFTW
05-31-2012, 10:54 PM
It used to be Wilt but Jlauber stopped posting so all the hate died down :lol

G-train
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Lebron/Kobe/Iverson easily.

Garnett's game isn't disrespected much. His personality is more than anything. The above has their game disrespected and are all all-time greats.

CelticBaller
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
It used to be Wilt but Jlauber stopped posting so all the hate died down :lol
you think he died? :cry:

CavaliersFTW
05-31-2012, 10:56 PM
you think he died? :cry:
No he isn't dead but for whatever reason it seems he just doesn't seem to care about Wilt anymore :confusedshrug:

kidachi
05-31-2012, 10:56 PM
I agree with GOBB.. AI's one of them..

BTW, let's limit this to players who are not in the league anymore..

andgar923
05-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Whichever player Kobe fans are upset about at the moment.

Brickz187
05-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Allen Iverson, easily. What he did was amazing, yet he is disrespected constantly. One of the best PG/SG whatever you want to call him to ever play, yet people call him a cancer and act like he couldn't play.

FireDavidKahn
05-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Lebron/Kobe/Iverson easily.

Garnett's game isn't disrespected much. His personality is more than anything. The above has their game disrespected and are all all-time greats.
Meh. People still think Charles Barkley was better than Garnett:facepalm Garnett is seriously only a tiny notch below Duncan, the only difference was that Garnett spent his prime in Minny and Duncan in SA...Reverse the roles and Garnett would be the one with multiple rings. Regardless Duncan is better and Garnett is still a top 5 PF of all time.

But I guess I agree with you. Lebron gets so much hate it is almost unbelievable.

Pushxx
05-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Russell, Walton, Oscar, Havlicek, Pettit, Cowens, Worthy, to name a few.

AMISTILLILL
05-31-2012, 11:26 PM
I saw jlauber post about Wilt in the "Rondo's performance best in a playoff loss?" a day or two back. He's definitely still a permanent fixture on that guys skeet sack.

As far as disrespected greats, I can agree with Allen Iverson. The latter part of his career, still fresh in the minds of many, seems to defer attention away from the truly spectacular individual strides he made in establishing his legacy.

TheBigVeto
05-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Larry Bird
Bill Russell

Heilige
05-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Bill Russell

t-rex
05-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Bill Russell PERIOD!

Bill Russell won 11 titles in 13 years. This includes the last title in 1969 when he beat a Lakers team with Prime Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlin (who was just outside of his prime.) Oh yea... did I mention he did this as PLAYER/COACH of the team?

Imagine Doc Rivers coaching the Celtics and running point guard at the same time? That's basically what Russell did while defeating West, Baylor and Chamberlin for his 11th title in 13 seasons!

That's how great Bill Russell was!

I have never seen any remotely knowledgeable NBA fan have Bill Russell outside of their top 5 or 6 greatest players in the history of the game untill I discovered this message board.:facepalm

http://www.celticstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/bill-russell-rings-240x300.jpg
The heck with Jordan's 6 rings or Kobe's 5 championships, this is the greatest winner ever in the NBA and American team sports history.

CavaliersFTW
05-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Bill Russell PERIOD!

Bill Russell won 11 titles in 13 years. This includes the last title in 1969 when he beat a Lakers team with Prime Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlin (who was just outside of his prime.) Oh yea... did I mention he did this as PLAYER/COACH of the team?

Imagine Doc Rivers coaching the Celtics and running point guard at the same time? That's basically what Russell did while defeating West, Baylor and Chamberlin for his 11th title in 13 seasons!

That's how great Bill Russell was!

I have never seen any remotely knowledgeable NBA fan have Bill Russell outside of their top 5 or 6 greatest players in the history of the game untill I discovered this message board.:facepalm

http://www.celticstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/bill-russell-rings-240x300.jpg
The heck with Jordan's 6 rings or Kobe's 5 championships, this is the greatest winner ever in the NBA and American team sports history.
This is true I have to agree with this, it's certainly Bill Russell

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/138/7/f/russdunkolympics_by_dantheman9758-d506gc1.gif

lilgodfather1
05-31-2012, 11:37 PM
There's so many. AI is the most recent "past" great, before him I think Webber is pretty disrespected in terms of he never gets talked about.

From the years I can think of

Russell
Wilt
West
Baylor!!!!!!!
Oscar
Stockton (over shadowed by Malone)
Rodman
Pip
Webber
AI

just off of the top of my head.

Those players are either over rated, played in weak eras, or are second options.

The future generation will start with KG when he retires, Kobe when he retires, Wade when he retires, and LeBron when he retires.

PHILA
05-31-2012, 11:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ndkdQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dRBl7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QqK3v.jpg

CavaliersFTW
05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ndkdQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dRBl7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QqK3v.jpg
That Russell Signature is worth $, he didn't hand that sh*t out like other athletes do

kidachi
05-31-2012, 11:44 PM
BULLS was the only one I remember who kept on bashing Bill Russell..

CavaliersFTW
05-31-2012, 11:49 PM
BULLS was the only one I remember who kept on bashing Bill Russell..
Take a poll and see how many posters on IH think he's still *in the discussion* as the GOAT and you'll see why he's the most disrespected former great. It's not that he's bashed so much as written off or forgotten. He gets ranked behind guys who didn't accomplish jack in comparison, and most people are completely oblivious to his freak athleticism and impressive versatility/size

red1
06-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Iverson.

according to ISH: iverson=cancer

ILLsmak
06-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Yeah it's definitely IVO and I bet people would even say LOL IVO NOT A FORMER GREAT.

-Smak

G-train
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM
To an extent...http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/david_robinson_main.jpg

Maniak
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Allen Iverson.

Eat Like A Bosh
06-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Current: Kobe, LeBron, Iverson. Kobe and LeBron are more like hated rather than disrespected, but I'd say both.

Retired: Russell, Wilt. "They're overrated cause they played in a weak era" and such

IcanzIIravor
06-01-2012, 12:28 AM
I'd go with AI, Wilt, Russell and Bird.

LAClipsFan33
06-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Allen Iverson and Wilt Chamberlain

magnax1
06-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Probably Oscar. I don't know how many times I've heard the bogus never won anything on his own argument.

konex
06-01-2012, 01:24 AM
T-Mac and AI.

JaE_BLiZZy
06-01-2012, 01:30 AM
I have to say Bill Russel, I've heard people saying he only played against midgets, thats why he's so dominant, LOL!

Jasper
06-01-2012, 01:31 AM
1/3 of the posts can't read the OP post / it states PAST players.

Because this forum has no clue to most players that played from the 50's -early 80's :

I'll keep it simple -

AI (number 1 pick , MVP , scoring champ and one tough dude)

Karl Malone (2nd most scored points , multiple all-star {when it meaned something} mvp and multiple Finals appearances.

------------
Past era players : one player tops them all Elgin Baylor

nough said.

SuperPippen
06-01-2012, 01:59 AM
On this website? Definitely Jerry West. Very few outside of the group of very knowledgeable posters on this site ever seem to give him the respect he deserves.

I've heard many people try to diminish the legacy's of Russell and Wilt due to the whole "weak era" bullshit. Well, the same thing is often used to diminish West's career, except some people tend to diminish West's playing abilities even more than Russell or Wilt.

At least people will at least acknowledge that Russell or Wilt would still be very good players today, but too many times I've heard people disrespect West's career and state seriously that he would be a scrub in today's league. They'll say, "lol he was only 6'2" and white, he wouldn't make it the D-league."

They'll completely ignore the fact that West was actually 6'4", that he was actually very athletic, that Steve Nash - a white player who isn't any taller than 6'2" - managed to win consecutive MVPs and become one of the most gifted offensive players ever in today's league, that the lack of quantifiable statistics, film, or accolades during West's career diminish his legacy more than anything.

Smoke117
06-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Iverson.

The question was most disrespected great, not most overrated chucker here.

StateOfMind12
06-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Allen Iverson, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, and Julius Erving off of the top of my head.

Most great players before the 80s are disrespected around here really.

The question was most disrespected great, not most overrated chucker here.
This just further proves his point that Iverson is a disrespected great.

KevinNYC
06-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Some of the folks mentioned have as many defenders as detractors. Bill Russell gets as much love on here as hate, but I'll add one name who is shockingly underrated.

Mose Malone.

He doesn't get dissed so much as ignored. Three time MVP and the most dominant player in the years before Bird then Magic and then Michael soared.

There's a few reasons for this.

Skills are ranked over effort. Even when the skills doesn't yield the same results as the effort.. For those who didn't see Moses play, he doesn't have great highlights, but he was just a bull down low, a Shaq before there was a Shaq and one of the all-time great workers in the NBA. Did anyone give Kareem more problems?

He's not a charismatic speaker and has not been a media presence in his post NBA years. (Think of much we think about Kenny Smith's or Steve Kerr's careers because they are on TV all the time.) Think about if everyone was constantly reminded of his 3 MVPs and being the best player on one of the all time great NBA teams, the 1983 Sixers who lost one game on the way to the Championship.

When ranking players people get so hung up on what a player can't do as opposed to what the player actually did. Magic Johnson's and Larry Bird's defense gets worse and worse as each year passes. You listen to some folks here and they act like they are in bottom quarter of players who ever played.

Smoke117
06-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Allen Iverson, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, and Julius Erving off of the top of my head.

Most great players before the 80s are disrespected around here really.

This just further proves his point that Iverson is a disrespected great.

Yeah because the 28 shots that Iverson took to average 31.5 points in 2002 really spoke of greatness.

t-rex
06-01-2012, 02:26 AM
Some of the folks mentioned have as many defenders as detractors. Bill Russell gets as much love on here as hate, but I'll add one name who is shockingly underrated.

Mose Malone.

He doesn't get dissed so much as ignored. Three time MVP and the most dominant player in the years before Bird then Magic and then Michael soared.

There's a few reasons for this.

Skills are ranked over effort. Even when the skills doesn't yield the same results as the effort.. For those who didn't see Moses play, he doesn't have great highlights, but he was just a bull down low, a Shaq before there was a Shaq and one of the all-time great workers in the NBA. Did anyone give Kareem more problems?

He's not a charismatic speaker and has not been a media presence in his post NBA years. (Think of much we think about Kenny Smith's or Steve Kerr's careers because they are on TV all the time.) Think about if everyone was constantly reminded of his 3 MVPs and being the best player on one of the all time great NBA teams, the 1983 Sixers who lost one game on the way to the Championship.

When ranking players people get so hung up on what a player can't do as opposed to what the player actually did. Magic Johnson's and Larry Bird's defense gets worse and worse as each year passes. You listen to some folks here and they act like they are in bottom quarter of players who ever played.

Good call with Moses Malone. He owned Kareem in the early 1980s. Not only was he the best player on one of the all time great teams in NBA history (1983 Sixers), but he got the 1981 Houston Rockets to the NBA Finals too. The 81 Rockets roster was terrible. But he still took out Kareem and Magic in the playoffs and took Bird's Celtics 6 games in the NBA Finals.

NewYorkNoPicks
06-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Yeah because the 28 shots that Iverson took to average 31.5 points in 2002 really speaks of greatness.

So do you expect him to take 16 shots a game and make 100% of them? Would that be more toward your liking? Because you know...thats doable.

Doesn't matter how many shots you take as long as your shooting percentage is respectable dumbass. You ever see the quote on quote TALENT he had around him? I could find better players at the park. You want Eric Snow taking some of AI's shots brah?

GTFOH

FireDavidKahn
06-01-2012, 02:43 AM
So do you expect him to take 16 shots a game and make 100% of them? Would that be more toward your liking? Because you know...thats doable.

Doesn't matter how many shots you take as long as your shooting percentage is respectable dumbass. You ever see the quote on quote TALENT he had around him? I could find better players at the park. You want Eric Snow taking some of AI's shots brah?

GTFOH
A career 43% shooter isn't good for a guard.

NewYorkNoPicks
06-01-2012, 02:46 AM
A career 43% shooter isn't good for a guard.

When you're 5"11 and 150lbs taking it hard to the rack against 7 foot giants nearly twice his weight....yeah...yeah it is.

And besides...what would be respectable for you, 45%? Big friggin deal.

How many ELITE guards really shoot above 45%? Have you ever played a 40 minute game of basketball where you've attempted numerous shots? Probably not... Do you know how fatigued your arms get? To shoot 43% at a high volume while being the smallest guy on the floor each and every game, thats miraculous.

bizil
06-01-2012, 02:47 AM
http://www.skylinepictures.com/Atlanta_Hawks_at16_large.jpg

ShaqAttack3234
I don't think any particular player is flat out disrespected, most have haters, but also have their fans.

Less posters have knowledge about older players from the 60's and 70's, though that's different than disrespect. Obviously the true legends like Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Oscar and West are players that most fans know about it, many may not really have any true knowledge of the things they did, or how they played other than their numbers, but most know they're all-time greats.

Smoke117

GTFOH

Are you ****ing retarded? You do realize that when you take 28 shots to average 31.5 points that...THAT IS NOT ****ING GOOD! But I see you need averages so I'll Give them to you:

2002: Allen Iverson - fg%: .398, 3pt%: .291 ft%: .812 TS%: .489

I think all the percentages speak for this self but ts% really shows a players overall efficiency. If you are good at getting to line and shoot a good percentage (like Iverson did) that could really help your TS%, but Iverson didn't even shoot 40% taking 28 shots, shot 29% from three point land taking 4.5 attempts a game lol.

Doesn't matter how many shots you take as long as your shooting percentage is respectable dumbass.

Doesn't matter how many shots you take as long as your shooting percentage is respectable dumbass.

BTW **** YOU. I'll Remember you.

NewYorkNoPicks
06-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Are you ****ing retarded? You do realize that when you take 28 shots to average 31.5 points that...THAT IS NOT ****ING GOOD! But I see you need averages so I'll Give them to you:

I think all the percentages speak for this self but ts% really shows a players overall efficiency. If you are good at getting to line and shoot a good percentage (like Iverson did) that could really help your TS%, but Iverson didn't even shoot 40% taking 28 shots, shot 29% from three point land taking 4.5 attempts a game lol.

Good...remember me dork. Go watch your Celtics fade into oblivion. Your team is finished. Enjoy rebuilding for 10 years. Rondo is going to be one of those stars who isn't good enough to lead your team into the playoffs by himself, however he'll be just enough to get you that #12 pick in the draft each and every year. Enjoy mediocrity bruh!

By the way... Iverson in 2006:

33.0 ppg 7.4 apg 1.9 spg on 44.7% fg

silenc
06-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Iverson, Bird, Robertson.

bizil
06-01-2012, 03:04 AM
When it comes to AI, u have to look at the teams that he played on throughout his career. On those Philly teams, he often had to shoot a lot shots in order for his team to win. I realize he wasn't as efficient, but I think thats due to AI forcing the issue because he knew he had to get up shots. But that's more of a shot selection or lack of talent issue. Trust me, if AI played with a very good to great bigger PG like Kidd, Billups, or Payton, he would have shot a higher percentage. Or even a point forward type of guy in Bron. AI had to be the main facilitator AND scorer on a team that severely lacked in scoring help.

The bottom line is u gotta be a talented player to average and put up the points AI did. AI is also one of the premier passing SG's of all time as well. AI would have done great at PG in the mold of a Rose, Parker, Arenas, or Westbrook. But Larry Brown was smart enough to realize AI would be better off at SG because that was AI's mentality. An alpha dog with the clutch gene in my opinion is the most premium asset in bball. AI had that in spades even though he might not have been efficient as other great perimeter players. And as I stated earlier, AI was a great passer at SG, better than other HOF SG's such as Dumars, Miller, Gervin.

Smoke117
06-01-2012, 05:54 AM
When it comes to AI, u have to look at the teams that he played on throughout his career. On those Philly teams, he often had to shoot a lot shots in order for his team to win. I realize he wasn't as efficient, but I think thats due to AI forcing the issue because he knew he had to get up shots. But that's more of a shot selection or lack of talent issue. Trust me, if AI played with a very good to great bigger PG like Kidd, Billups, or Payton, he would have shot a higher percentage. Or even a point forward type of guy in Bron. AI had to be the main facilitator AND scorer on a team that severely lacked in scoring help.

The bottom line is u gotta be a talented player to average and put up the points AI did. AI is also one of the premier passing SG's of all time as well. AI would have done great at PG in the mold of a Rose, Parker, Arenas, or Westbrook. But Larry Brown was smart enough to realize AI would be better off at SG because that was AI's mentality. An alpha dog with the clutch gene in my opinion is the most premium asset in bball. AI had that in spades even though he might not have been efficient as other great perimeter players. And as I stated earlier, AI was a great passer at SG, better than other HOF SG's such as Dumars, Miller, Gervin.

That's horse shit. AI ran out any other potential scorers out of Philly like Jerry Stackhouse and Larry Hughes because he wanted to be the man chucking up 20-25 shots every night. He's the most overrated, inefficient, chucking piece of shit ever.

alenleomessi
06-01-2012, 06:14 AM
pistol pete, drexler, iverson

brantonli
06-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Quite honestly, I think LeBron is a tiny bit underrated here, because we always take his 30-7-7 games for granted now, when they are (and should be) regarded as pretty damn impressive feats. Now it takes him like 40-18-7 to get significant attention lol.

But for past players, I was looking through the Bleacher reports top 50 PGs and it's astounding how some names don't even register to me.

necya
06-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Good...remember me dork. Go watch your Celtics fade into oblivion. Your team is finished. Enjoy rebuilding for 10 years. Rondo is going to be one of those stars who isn't good enough to lead your team into the playoffs by himself, however he'll be just enough to get you that #12 pick in the draft each and every year. Enjoy mediocrity bruh!

tryibg to escape ? haha

put prime scorers in 2006 and they also average 30 a game...

i really don't see how Iverson is disrespected, it's more the icon like kobe of people who grew up with them.

DRob, Mullin, King and West to answer to the question.
edit : wilkins and drexler

kidachi
06-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Nice call on 'Nique.. I agree with that one.. he does get plenty of hate in here..

chips93
06-01-2012, 07:21 AM
i know that im wrong, so im just gonna attack him, and his team, rather than post any relevant argument

:facepalm

a sub 500 TS% is awful

jbryan1984
06-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Even when I just read ISH, I have always felt Shaq was horribly disrespected on here. He gets it even worse now that he is an announcer. Shaq will always be GOAT center in my opinion and the most dominant player I ever saw play.

Glide2keva
06-01-2012, 08:08 AM

LOL @ him highlighting TS%

Glide2keva
06-01-2012, 08:11 AM

a sub 500 TS% is awful
No one cares about TS% though.

comerb
06-01-2012, 08:24 AM
No one cares about TS% though.

I do when it's sub .500.

That's an indication that someone jacks shots like a madman.

I'll be honest, I was disenchanted w/ the NBA at around the time of Iverson's peak and didn't watch a lot of him. What I do remember is that he looked pretty amazing on ESPN... but anytime I actually watched a game he was a shot jacking fool who didn't seem to realize his jumper was not a good idea.

JellyBean
06-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Karl Malone
Alex English
Adrian Dantely
Elvin Hayes
Wes Unsled
John Stockton
Isiah Thomas
Joe Dumars
Kiki Vandeweghe (spelling)
Artis Gilmore
Moses Malone
Sidney Moncrief

RaininTwos
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM

If you actually watched the games you would realize that he had major arm injuries that year.

eliteballer
06-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Dr J. There was a time he was as revered as Magic Bird and Jordan

Champ
06-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Tiny Archibald.

FatComputerNerd
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Pistol Pete.

Never knew how hated he was .

TaLvsCuaL
06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Some random white player.

GOBB
06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Thread proves Iverson is the most disrespected

Odinn
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I think "overlooked" or "underrated" would be much accurate for him. But I'm still going to say;

Moses Malone.

He is arguably top 10. Non-arguably top 15. But he generally doesn't get the respect or credit he deserved/earned.

FireDavidKahn
06-01-2012, 12:25 PM
If you actually watched the games you would realize that he had major arm injuries that year.
If he is on the floor then there is no excuse.

Psileas
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
For most posters, pretty much any legend that didn't get to play at least 40-50% of his career while this poster was between the ages of 10 and 18 will get underrated by them, with the exceptions of MJ-MJ-LB.

bizil
06-01-2012, 04:41 PM
That's horse shit. AI ran out any other potential scorers out of Philly like Jerry Stackhouse and Larry Hughes because he wanted to be the man chucking up 20-25 shots every night. He's the most overrated, inefficient, chucking piece of shit ever.

It's not horseshit! I'm talking about the majority of AI's time in Philly, he didn't have the scoring help necessary. Sure he had Stack for a little over a year. And he had Hughes for a cup of coffee as well. But AI DIDN'T consistently have that other guy year in and year out that stayed around. AI even had Webber, Kukoc, Van Horn, and Big Dog at different times as well. But none of those guys stayed around for long for different reasons. To say AI was the main reason they left is an idiotic statement to make. And the rest of the Philly roster wasn't normally up to par. The team that AI got to the Finals was a great defensive team anchored by one of the premier 4 to 5 greatest paint protectors of all time in Dikembe. Dikembe was a very important part of that team who made the defensive formula work. But face facts, AI ALWAYS had a shuffling deck in Philly.

AI's playing style was more suited for SG. That's why Larry Brown moved him there. So u can't blame AI for getting up the shots because he's a great player who needed to get up shots. AI was a true alpha dog and could carry a team, which is something u can't take away from him.

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Big O is severely disrespected in this forum.

Shade8780
06-01-2012, 05:00 PM
A lot of people underrate Big Bill

CelticBaller
06-01-2012, 05:04 PM

They Celtics would never be as irrelevant as the knicks :oldlol:

NumberSix
06-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Pippen. Not even close.

Mach_3
06-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Thread proves Iverson is the most disrespected

This x1000000

swear none of yall watched the sixers in the late 90's early 2000's.

ThaRegul8r
06-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Anyone who played basketball before these kids started watching basketball, as they believe that there were no great players before they graced basketball by watching it. :rolleyes:

L.Kizzle
06-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Easily Dolph Schayes.

/thread

rawimpact
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Dennis Rodman

Big#50
06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Mikan
Nique
Robinson