PDA

View Full Version : What vietnamese food is similar to General Tso's chicken?

Godzuki
06-01-2012, 02:57 PM
i keep seeing these Pho48, etc.'s all over the place, and i'm thinking about trying it but don't want to get something that i don't like. only thing i can gauge my tastes to thats pretty universal in terms of azn foods is chinese. i like the standard General Tso's, Orange chicken, Morengo Delight, Kung Pao type of dishes. what at Pho would be comparable to those, and how is it different? also they sell something like shrimp fried rice? just real hesitant to try vietnamese...

Styles p
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
general tso's dog?

Clippersfan86
06-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Vietnamese food is delish dude. Much lighter and healthier than Chinese for the most part. After Thai it's my favorite food. Pho is a very good soup with a light broth. Unlike Chinese food... Vietnamese won't put you on the toilet all day or make you feel like shit.

Godzuki
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
general tso's dog?

i said chicken, negga. if i wanted dog i'd kidnap one off the street and cook it myself :pimp: altho i don't know how to make general tso's sauce...

Godzuki
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Vietnamese food is delish dude. Much lighter and healthier than Chinese for the most part. After Thai it's my favorite food. Pho is a very good soup with a light broth. Unlike Chinese food... Vietnamese won't put you on the toilet all day or make you feel like shit.

thx for reply. what would you reccommend me order judging by my chinese food tastes? obviously i like meat, preferably crispy. can you give any names of dishes you think i'd like? not really trying to get a soup tho, but would like to get some sort of shrimp fried rice side with the meat dish if they have something like that too.

SpecialQue
06-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Vietnamese coffee is better than all the other coffees.

nathanjizzle
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
actually, stay your ass away from a Vietnamese restuarant.

nathanjizzle
06-01-2012, 03:18 PM
thx for reply. what would you reccommend me order judging by my chinese food tastes? obviously i like meat, preferably crispy. can you give any names of dishes you think i'd like? not really trying to get a soup tho, but would like to get some sort of shrimp fried rice side with the meat dish if they have something like that too.

if you dont want to try the staple of Vietnamese cuisine, which is pho...then stay your dumbass away. go order shrimp fried rice at a chinese spot.

DuMa
06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
try ordering some vietnamese spring rolls (goi cuon), or combination plate (Com Tam) of rice, grilled pork, shredded pork, veggies, fish sauce and usually have some sort of shrimp or prawn on the side.

or try some banh cuon (noodle dish with fish sauce with your choice of meat) or banh mi (vietnamese submarine sandwich)

or banh xeo (it looks like a taco but you eat it with fish sauce in a bowl with chopsticks)

ill agree vietnamese food is a lot lighter and healthier than the chinese food places. its a lot less greasier in general.

Godzuki
06-01-2012, 03:39 PM
if you dont want to try the staple of Vietnamese cuisine, which is pho...then stay your dumbass away. go order shrimp fried rice at a chinese spot.

lol why are you always so bitter and angry? :lol

Snoop_Cat
06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Get some pho, it's one of the most commonly eaten Vietnamese foods here in the States and no one doesn't like it. It's a noodle dish in a beef broth with meat.

It is honestly quite tasty, is fairly light, and even tastes better than Chinese food.

Godzuki
06-01-2012, 03:41 PM
try ordering some vietnamese spring rolls (goi cuon), or combination plate (Com Tam) of rice, grilled pork, shredded pork, veggies, fish sauce and usually have some sort of shrimp or prawn on the side.

or try some banh cuon (noodle dish with fish sauce with your choice of meat) or banh mi (vietnamese submarine sandwich)

or banh xeo (it looks like a taco but you eat it with fish sauce in a bowl with chopsticks)

ill agree vietnamese food is a lot lighter and healthier than the chinese food places. its a lot less greasier in general.

cool, i appreciate the breakdown and names. that com tam sounds good, just scared of anything that says fish sauce, not the biggest fish fan...

Godzuki
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Get some pho, it's one of the most commonly eaten Vietnamese foods here in the States and no one doesn't like it. It's a noodle dish in a beef broth with meat.

It is honestly quite tasty, is fairly light, and even tastes better than Chinese food.

hmmm alright i guess i'll try it then if its a staple vietnamese food that everyone likes. i keep seeing these Pho's get really good food ratings all over the place so i've guess it must be good. thx for input.

Snoop_Cat
06-01-2012, 03:45 PM
hmmm alright i guess i'll try it then if its a staple vietnamese food that everyone likes. i keep seeing these Pho's get really good food ratings all over the place so i've guess it must be good. thx for input.

Yeah, it's pretty much a very safe choice to get. I don't know what ethnicity/background you're from so it's hard to judge but I'd say Pho works for everyone's palette.

LOGoods7
06-01-2012, 03:48 PM
cool, i appreciate the breakdown and names. that com tam sounds good, just scared of anything that says fish sauce, not the biggest fish fan...

Almost anything Vietnamese will at least have some fish sauce in it but they won't always use enough to make the dish taste fishy.

Try bo luc lac, it's basically stir fried steak cubes

Godzuki
06-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Almost anything Vietnamese will at least have some fish sauce in it but they won't always use enough to make the dish taste fishy.

Try bo luc lac, it's basically stir fried steak cubes

that sounds up my alley. i got to write this stuff down, never going to remember the names otherwise.

Godzuki
06-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah, it's pretty much a very safe choice to get. I don't know what ethnicity/background you're from so it's hard to judge but I'd say Pho works for everyone's palette.

i'm korean but i don't even like all korean food, and i don't mess with some of the stuff a lot of korean people like(like raw crab in soy sauce) so it'd be hard to generalize me from that. i'm going to try those noodles tho, and yeah i was worried about them tasting fishy but if they don't have that taste then its all good. thx.

Clippersfan86
06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Reason you see Pho everywhere is because it's not hard to make and it's always good. I've never had a "bad" Pho. It's super good. As for other foods... I don't memorize the names but rather what I like when I go in person. I will say there isn't a single thing I HAVEN'T liked when I went for Vietnamese though man. Just find a place that has great reviews/ratings and branch out and try a couple different things.

Snoop_Cat
06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
i'm korean but i don't even like all korean food, and i don't mess with some of the stuff a lot of korean people like(like raw crab in soy sauce) so it'd be hard to generalize me from that. i'm going to try those noodles tho, and yeah i was worried about them tasting fishy but if they don't have that taste then its all good. thx.

I'm Korean too, it basically tastes like any Korean noodle dish (like "gook-su") but I actually happen to like Pho a lot better.

DuMa
06-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Pho is only great on cold, rainy days. i dont really like it much on hot summer days. but on cold days or trying to get over the flu, it really hits the spot.

and fish sauce is not even fish sauce. the main ingredient is fish sauce but its a lot more like a chili dressing (with lime/lemon/garlic/sugar and water and how much garlic chili paste you can put in)

L.Kizzle
06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Vietnamese sandwiches are like the greatest things ever.

Clippersfan86
06-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Vietnamese sandwiches are like the greatest things ever.

Hell yea. What's best is they are as cheap as let's say Subway or Quizno's but much better.

L.Kizzle
06-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Hell yea. What's best is they are as cheap as let's say Subway or Quizno's but much better.
$2.75.

Clippersfan86
06-01-2012, 05:31 PM
$2.75.

I'm in So Cal and they are about 4 bucks where I've been. Nonetheless, slightly cheaper than Subway AND better.

Legends66NBA7
06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
i keep seeing these Pho48, etc.'s all over the place, and i'm thinking about trying it but don't want to get something that i don't like. only thing i can gauge my tastes to thats pretty universal in terms of azn foods is chinese. i like the standard General Tso's, Orange chicken, Morengo Delight, Kung Pao type of dishes. what at Pho would be comparable to those, and how is it different? also they sell something like shrimp fried rice? just real hesitant to try vietnamese...

Pho restaurants, the ones I've been too, usually have this one their menus:

Appetiziers
Beef Noodle Soups
Chicken Wings
Fried Rice
Rice Vermicelli
Seafood
Wonton Noodle Soups

For Beverages

Bubble Tea
Beer

There's also deserts as well.

For what your looking for, there are house plates that could be Fried food or Sea food, which seems to be the opposite of the Kung Pao dishes.

And yes, there is shrimp fried rice in Pho restaurants.

I can't recall the Appetiziers at the moment, but there are some really good choices there.

You can get the soups in different sizes, from small to large. I also think the bubble tea over there is pretty good. You will probably get breezers as the main beer there.

You should enjoy the food there. :cheers:

BrooklynZoo
06-01-2012, 05:51 PM
yeah id advise to get the beef cubes on rice and when you get the chance try the pho also (the meat comes out raw so it might turn some off, but it cooks in the broth). When eating the pho, make sure u use the thick brown sauce and the hot chili sauce (which u can pretty use on everything) for dipping. Also try the spring rolls.

some other good dishes are grilled chicken on rice, pork chops on rice, spring rolls on vermicelli.

DuMa
06-01-2012, 06:01 PM
$2.75.

thats overpriced imho. i can get banh mi dac biet 3 for $5. anything more than that i think its too overpriced or trying too hard to be a fusion sandwich.

L.Kizzle
06-01-2012, 06:05 PM
thats overpriced imho. i can get banh mi dac biet 3 for $5. anything more than that i think its too overpriced or trying too hard to be a fusion sandwich.
At least it ain't 4 bucks like clipper86 prices.

Clippersfan86
06-01-2012, 06:07 PM
At least it ain't 4 bucks like clipper86 prices.

:(

rezznor
06-01-2012, 06:48 PM
bun bo xao (vermicelli with stir fried beef)

bun tit noung (vermicelli with bbq pork)

com tit nuong (rice with pork chop)

bo luc lac (cubed steak)

pho (traditional beef noodle soup, although the chicken version is really good to. make sure you goto a place that is known for good pho)

goi cuon (spring rolls)

banh mi (vietnamese po boys)

bun bo hue (spicy soup, it's really good and flavorful but may have some weird ingredients if you are not adventurous. ask them to hold off on the blood cake and pig's feet lol)

tom rang muoi (salt pepper shrimp)

vietnamese food is generally healthier then chinese, and there are alot of french influences from the colonial days.

Real Men Wear Green
06-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Brisket Noodle Soup is definitely the best soup. Just ordered some 2 minutes ago for the Cs game.

nathanjizzle
06-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Brisket Noodle Soup is definitely the best soup. Just ordered some 2 minutes ago for the Cs game.

your a bitch!

Real Men Wear Green
06-01-2012, 09:07 PM
your a bitch!
You're an idiot.

LeFraud James
06-02-2012, 12:46 AM
I always just get #14 on the menu.

Can't go wrong with #14.

sunsfan1357
06-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Damn pretty cheap, I would usually see them for around what Kizzle was paying.

BrooklynZoo
06-02-2012, 12:26 PM

theyre like 4-5 around here. how the heck do they sell them 3 for 5 and make money? How is 3 meals for $5 too much?

L.Kizzle
06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
I always just get #14 on the menu.

Can't go wrong with #14.
#29 >> #14

leopoldstotch
06-02-2012, 01:25 PM

that's 1993 prices. I haven't seen that price for a sandwich in years. These days you pay that price for just the bread. :lol

and I recommend all of the above listed. OP sounds like he wants something that's not soupy, so anything "bun" or "com" goes well with him.

OP where do you live? A good bit of the dishes listed below unfortunately are available in areas with heavy populated vietnamese or asian people. You're going to see all vietnamese restaurants have "pho", "com", or "bun" dishes. If you do get a rice dish (com), i recommend a dish with shredded pork, pork skin (delish), and egg pork cake (delish). The shredded pork skin and egg pork cake are some viet specialties. Not the healthiest for you, but tasty.