PDA

View Full Version : Is Rondo the best pure point guard in the NBA right now?

ConanRulesNBC
06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm not counting Rose, Westbrook and Tony Parker because those guys still score first and pass second. Rondo can make some amazing passes and he can score on top of it. I love watching him play.

HylianNightmare
06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
he's the point god

TheStarting5ive
06-03-2012, 09:42 PM
he's the point god

This.

/thread

RidonKs
06-03-2012, 09:45 PM
http://danceswithfat.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

no, he isn't.

BUT, as of right this moment, the past 48 hours, his last game and a half... he is playing at least as well as any point guard you could care to name in the league EVER has. and the same could potentially be said of any point guard ever.

of course what separates the true greats is keeping up this level of play for entire series, entire playoff runs, and eventually entire seasons. but what rondo is doing right now, as naturally and perfectly as he's doing it, if only for this short stretch, is very rare. it also helps that every other celtic is also playing out of their mind.

total instinct.

SuperPippen
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm not counting Rose, Westbrook and Tony Parker because those guys still score first and pass second. Rondo can make some amazing passes and he can score on top of it. I love watching him play.

He's playing extremely well, and based off the fact that he always steps his game up in the playoffs, I would say that he brings more to the table than other PG in the league today. I don't think I would hesitate to call him better than CP3, at least at this point. Now that CP3 has another season of chemistry with the Clips under his belt, he could regain his title as best PG in the league next year.

Another question: if Rondo continues his brilliant play into next season, would it be hyperbole to call him a superstar?

roffie
06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
rondo is making these heats look like clowns

Clippersfan86
06-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Rondo has always been an elite playoff performer. Problem is he doesn't play to this level during regular season, so no. Stop overreacting.

Remix
06-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Rondo has always been an elite playoff performer. Problem is he doesn't play to this level during regular season, so no. Stop overreacting.
I would rather have my point guard coast in the regular season and turn it up in the playoffs. Playoffs>>>>>regular season.

Cangri
06-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah he's the best at making plays, too bad his jumpshot isn't consistent he would easily be over CP3, Deron and Parker.

WeGetRing2012
06-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Rose is a special kind of PG so I would count him I wouldn't count Westbrook though. But the top ones to me are

1. Deron Williams
2. Rondo
3. Rose
4. CP3
5. Parker (age puts him lower)

sportsfan76
06-03-2012, 10:02 PM
No I like the Point guards below better

Nash
Parker
Rose

Real Men Wear Green
06-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah, all he did was lead the league in assists and make the All-D team.

b1imtf
06-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Rose is a special kind of PG so I would count him I wouldn't count Westbrook though. But the top ones to me are

1. Deron Williams
2. Rondo
3. Rose
4. CP3
5. Parker (age puts him lower)
Lol

pauk
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
According to me at least YES... if you ever have any doubts about Rondo during the regular season then wait until the playoffs until you make your conclusion.... thats where he unleashes it all..

Thorn
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
You're one to talk about overreacting :oldlol: :oldlol: :roll:

SuperPippen
06-03-2012, 10:15 PM

.....so a player who plays like an All-Star in the regular season, and plays like a superstar in the playoffs, when it matters the most, is a bad thing now?

If Rondo were a Clipper, there would be no end to the number of threads you'd be making, proclaiming him the best PG in the league. Stop underrating him.

Clippersfan86
06-03-2012, 11:01 PM
.....so a player who plays like an All-Star in the regular season, and plays like a superstar in the playoffs, when it matters the most, is a bad thing now?

If Rondo were a Clipper, there would be no end to the number of threads you'd be making, proclaiming him the best PG in the league. Stop underrating him.

CP3, Rose, Parker and Westbrook are superstars in the regular season and playoffs. I'm not underrating Rondo because I consider him elite. He's not the best though, period. You guys sound like the idiots on Dirk's nuts last year. During regular season Dirk wasn't a top 5 player to you guys. After playoffs he was a God who should have gotten MVP and was best player in the league.

Real Men Wear Green
06-03-2012, 11:14 PM
CP3, Rose, Parker and Westbrook are superstars in the regular season and playoffs. I'm not underrating Rondo because I consider him elite. He's not the best though, period. You guys sound like the idiots on Dirk's nuts last year. During regular season Dirk wasn't a top 5 player to you guys. After playoffs he was a God who should have gotten MVP and was best player in the league.
Yeah, all Dirk did was lead his team to a Championship.

Clippersfan86
06-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Yeah, all Dirk did was lead his team to a Championship.

Doesn't make you the best player in the league. I have no problem saying this is one of the most impressive playoff runs ever for a PG. He's still not the best PG in the game in general, period.

Draz
06-03-2012, 11:40 PM
I love this kid. Becoming one of my favorite players.

Real Men Wear Green
06-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Doesn't make you the best player in the league. I have no problem saying this is one of the most impressive playoff runs ever for a PG. He's still not the best PG in the game in general, period.
Since when is a guy that is one of the elite scorers in the game and Finals MVP on a Champ run not regarded by many as the best player in the game? You can continue to fight with the momentum Rondo is gathering but I got a feeling you're in for a lot of frustration.

Celtic_Pride
06-03-2012, 11:54 PM
According to Clippersfan86, Griffin is better than Dirk

So don't waste your time arguing with him guys!

StateOfMind12
06-04-2012, 12:10 AM
He is probably the most potent PG in the NBA but he is certainly not the best.

He doesn't have much consistency in his game at least for an entire season (regular season + post-season). If he did though, he would easily be the best PG in the league, but he doesn't so it doesn't matter.

Real Men Wear Green
06-04-2012, 12:15 AM
He is probably the most potent PG in the NBA but he is certainly not the best.

He doesn't have much consistency in his game at least for an entire season (regular season + post-season). If he did though, he would easily be the best PG in the league, but he doesn't so it doesn't matter.
A truly inconsistent player isn't going to lead the league in assists. I think he hd something like 20 games straight with over 10.

305Baller
06-04-2012, 12:16 AM
"Is Rondo the best pure point guard in the NBA right now?"

No, Chris Paul is.

ProfessorMurder
06-04-2012, 12:27 AM
A truly inconsistent player isn't going to lead the league in assists. I think he hd something like 20 games straight with over 10.

28 straight.

Grinder
06-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Right now? As in players still in the playoffs? I'd say so. I shudder to think where Boston would be without Rondo. Parker and Westbrook are great, but the way Rondo's played in this series has been absolutely amazing. It's hard to find fault in any part of his game this series. Such a unique player.

theaussieguy
06-04-2012, 12:30 AM
regular season is irrelevant at the end of the day. Its all about the playoffs, Rondo just kills it in the playoffs and his haters always bring up the regular season or lack of a jumper to make themselves feel better.

There is no doubt that within the last few years there has not been a better PG in the playoffs.

Clippersfan86
06-04-2012, 12:52 AM
So if a player averages 12 ppg in the regular season and 18 or w/e in the playoffs we should just look at the playoffs? Not logical so stop cherry picking. Chris Paul is the best PG no question and if anybody has a case against him it's Parker, Rose and Westbrook well before Rondo.

Clippersfan86
06-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Right now? As in players still in the playoffs? I'd say so. I shudder to think where Boston would be without Rondo. Parker and Westbrook are great, but the way Rondo's played in this series has been absolutely amazing. It's hard to find fault in any part of his game this series. Such a unique player.

If OP means in playoffs still of course Rondo is best. He didn't mean that though. Who do you think is the best PG in the game in general? Rondo was borderline top 5 before playoffs and now he's the best in the game according to these guys.

tpols
06-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Yes.

Boston right now wouldnt be any better with CP instead of Rondo.. I think theyd be worse actually because Rondo is a better penetrator, creator, rebounder, and defender which is a lot more important to the C's than scoring.. even though he can still drop a lot of points if he wants to ie 44 the other day.

ClutchOver9000
06-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Rondo scares me...

the dude has some uncanny ability to switch it up 10 levels in the playoffs, he is beasting right now...

as for OP's question, he is one of if the not the 'purest' PG out there because his mentality is clearly setting his teammates up, and directing the offense as a priority, with scoring coming after. He also commands the respect and ears of much older veterans and future HOFers which is another plus in my book.

I still cannot fathom that in game 3 this 6'1 190 lb guard with a weak jumpshot was 2 boards away from putting up a 44 point triple double against the best defensive team left in the playoffs

unreal...

annoying as hell when he plays against the Knicks but I love watching him play against other teams.

Clippersfan86
06-04-2012, 01:20 AM
CP3, Westbrook and Rose are considered top 10 players by everybody... Rondo isn't, yet Rondo is the best PG. ISH logic.

t-rex
06-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Yes.

SMoKe0uT
06-04-2012, 01:24 AM
Lakers fan here and that is a resounding yes. its not as close as it seems either.

SMoKe0uT
06-04-2012, 01:27 AM
CP3, Westbrook and Rose are considered top 10 players by everybody... Rondo isn't, yet Rondo is the best PG. ISH logic.

you quite frankly are an idiot. Rondo >>>>>> Paul. talk to me when Paul wins a championship as the quarterback.

you have no argument to say paul is a better TRUE point guard.

Im a laker fan and if we got Paul id trade him for Rondo without hesitation.

OH BTW were talking positions not overall skill you fkn moron.

ClutchOver9000
06-04-2012, 01:29 AM

Easily better than Rose/Westbrook at directing the offense, setting up teammates, and controlling the pace.

notatop29pg
06-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Well considering he's the ONLY "pure" point guard still playing.... Yes.

SMoKe0uT
06-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Easily better than Rose/Westbrook at directing the offense, setting up teammates, and controlling the pace.

Dont argue with the no life with 20000000 posts. he gets r4p3ed in every thread I have ever seen.

TheBluest
06-04-2012, 01:34 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y_ODcECzxGQ/T4sMKffGa8I/AAAAAAAAA88/LnQ8Dvynqbg/s1600/michael-scott-no.gif

Another thread in which you insert CP3. You need to be admitted somehwhere professionally

Clippersfan86
06-04-2012, 01:45 AM
you quite frankly are an idiot. Rondo >>>>>> Paul. talk to me when Paul wins a championship as the quarterback.

you have no argument to say paul is a better TRUE point guard.

Im a laker fan and if we got Paul id trade him for Rondo without hesitation.

OH BTW were talking positions not overall skill you fkn moron.

CP3 is a top 5 player, Rondo is a top 15 player. Which makes him the better player as well as PG. Duh.

TheBluest
06-04-2012, 01:48 AM
CP3 is a top 5 player, Rondo is a top 15 player. Which makes him the better player as well as PG. Duh.

Rose was MVP and CP3 has never won one so by this logic Rose is the better point guard DUH!

YOU'RE GONNA NEED LAW & ORDER SVU

Clippersfan86
06-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Lol Blue you're more illogical than I thought.

It's a thread about the best PG in the game lmao. CP3 isn't relevant to that?
:facepalm

jlauber
06-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Not sure, but he has to be right there. I wish the Lakers had him.

Eric Cartman
06-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Many people forget what a great regular season CP3 had. He was high up there in MVP voting (finished 3rd i believe?). Rondo has been spectacular but remember he has the Heat's number.

Clippersfan86
06-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Rose was MVP and CP3 has never won one so by this logic Rose is the better point guard DUH!

YOU'RE GONNA NEED LAW & ORDER SVU

Rose has a good case as the best PG in the game and top 5 player, Rondo doesn't so that's off topic. CP3 deserved MVP in 08 and finished runner up. This year he finished 3rd. Has Rondo ever been in the top 10? He's the third best player on his team and doesn't belong in these discussions. Great playoff run though.

TheBluest
06-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Rose has a good case as the best PG in the game and top 5 player, Rondo doesn't so that's off topic. CP3 deserved MVP in 08 and finished runner up. This year he finished 3rd. Has Rondo ever been in the top 10? He's the third best player on his team and doesn't belong in these discussions. Great playoff run though.

The thread is about "Pure Point" and no Rose is not a "Pure Point". But using your own Logic against you you're basically saying Rose better "Pure Point" than CP3

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/2200000/Benson-Stabler-law-and-order-svu-2299047-400-280.jpg

Get the Kit Ready Stabler and Benson

CavaliersFTW
06-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Well considering he's the ONLY "pure" point guard still playing.... Yes.
This. He seems to be the only young guard left in the NBA who hasn't been heavily tainted by the 2-guards and miniature 2-guards parading themselves as point guards of years past. The dude can draw the defense then dish the rock to an open man under pressure >>>>> anyone else.

Clippersfan86
06-04-2012, 01:58 AM
The thread is about "Pure Point" and no Rose is not a "Pure Point". But using your own Logic against you you're basically saying Rose better "Pure Point" than CP3

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/2200000/Benson-Stabler-law-and-order-svu-2299047-400-280.jpg

Get the Kit Ready Stabler and Benson

If you eliminate scoring guards CP3 is still superior, point blank. People need to read the title better. He's saying in the NBA period, not just playoffs.

miles berg
06-04-2012, 02:11 AM
2nd only to Deron Williams IMO.

He is fantastic.

I.R.Beast
06-04-2012, 02:20 AM
I'm ready to start a petition to change the Point in Point Guard to Pass for Rondo. I prefer scoring PGs like Tony parker, because i think they make teams more dangerous and harder to game plan for but, Rondo's passing ability is unrivaled in this league.

blacknapalm
06-04-2012, 02:31 AM
24 PPG, 54.1 FG%, 7 RPG, 10.5 APG, 1.3 SPG, .737 FT% in series vs. miami

show me any other PG that has put that up vs. miami, much less in the playoffs.

i would venture to say he's been the best playoffs PG over the last few seasons. rondo is fantastic and does stuff no other PG does (you can say that about most of the elite PG's).

oh and he has by far the best value of any PG. $11 million next year? that's not even top 30 in most paid NBA players

Whoah10115
06-04-2012, 11:37 AM
So if a player averages 12 ppg in the regular season and 18 or w/e in the playoffs we should just look at the playoffs? Not logical so stop cherry picking. Chris Paul is the best PG no question and if anybody has a case against him it's Parker, Rose and Westbrook well before Rondo.

I don't get your point. How is it cherry picking to focus on the part that matters most? You don't just go by playoffs, because they're situational. But he's even better in the playoffs and that counts for a lot more. He's not better than Chris Paul, but Russell Westbrook has 0 argument over him so you could brush his name off.

It's not like this is a run. When it counts, he steps it up further.

Nick Young
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
no, he can't shoot. DERON IS THE BEST PURE POINT

bizil
06-04-2012, 04:09 PM
I think u have three kinds of PG's that can be great players. U have your more scoring minded alpha dog PG who is damn near a combo or SG. Those are guys like Rose, Westbrook, and Parker. Then u have a guy like Rondo who fufills the premium PG's duties to an epic level. Which is dropping the dimes first and being a true floor general. Rondo is a good scorer, but he's not really an alpha dog night in and night out. Then u have guys like CP3, D Will, and Nash at his peak. These kind of guys can fufill both duties at a great level. I think these kind of PG's are my perfect kind of PG.

But for the kind of PG Rondo represents, he's the best in the game as of now. A guy like Kidd has slowed down and out of his prime. I think Nash has slowed enough to be this kind of PG. It doesn't seem Nash really goes off on the scoring end like he used to due to slowing down some. So Rondo is the best pure, pure PG in the L as of now. Paul and DWill are just as pure, but they are alpha dog level material too.

sportsfan76
06-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm not sold on Rondo because of the reasons below

1. Misses too many layups

2. Has trouble understanding how to control the pace of the game

3. Inconsistent jumpshot

Rondo has the tendency to rush when his team is leading the game and not realizing he can slow down the game.

lakerfreak
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
He's the best half court point guard in the league. Add a consistent jumper and he's probably the best, but until then, he just takes advantage of all his opportunities, and thats what makes him so great.

Unselfish
Smart
Athletic

As a result, his teammates really benefit from him.

Bigsmoke
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
24 PPG, 54.1 FG%, 7 RPG, 10.5 APG, 1.3 SPG, .737 FT% in series vs. miami

show me any other PG that has put that up vs. miami, much less in the playoffs.

i would venture to say he's been the best playoffs PG over the last few seasons. rondo is fantastic and does stuff no other PG does (you can say that about most of the elite PG's).

oh and he has by far the best value of any PG. $11 million next year? that's not even top 30 in most paid NBA players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi-YfOQd_-U

sportsfan76
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
He's the best half court point guard in the league. Add a consistent jumper and he's probably the best, but until then, he just takes advantage of all his opportunities, and thats what makes him so great.

Unselfish
Smart
Athletic

As a result, his teammates really benefit from him.

I don't know about smart. His basketball IQ is questionable

Bigsmoke
06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't know about smart. His basketball IQ is questionable

Rondo make a lot of smart plays.

that kick ball he did last night to stretch the shot clock to 14 was one of them.

I just can't compare dude to CP3 and Derrick Rose when it comes to "raw talent"

sportsfan76
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Rondo does a lot of smart plays.

that kick ball he did last night to stretch the shot clock to 14 was one of them.

I just can't compare dude to CP3 and Derrick Rose when you are talking about "raw talent"

Sometimes he does these things that drives me crazy

1. Stand still in one spot while the shot clock runs down to 4

2. He speeds up the game when his team is leading by 10 or more

Real Men Wear Green
06-04-2012, 07:06 PM
:lol @ Rondo not being smart. A pg with a weak jumper leads the league in assists and his understanding of the game gets questioned. Keep reaching.

Bigsmoke
06-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Sometimes he does these things that drives me crazy

1. Stand still in one spot while the shot clock runs down to 4

2. He speeds up the game when his team is leading by 10 or more

the uncontested brick layups caught my attention :lol

the kid is doing his thing regardless to his errors.

sportsfan76
06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
the uncontested brick layups caught my attention :lol

the kid is doing his thing regardless to his errors.

He is the NBA version of Brett Farve. Either he is REALLY GOOD or REALLY BAD

Micku
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I still think a healthy CP3 is better than Rondo.

Rondo is the better passer tho. He is the best at passing in the league IMO. And if Rondo ever finds a consistent jumpshot and be confident about it, then he'll be the best PG.

But honestly, best point guards today swift left and right. Too bad Rose got injured tho.

swi7ch
06-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes. Team USA should get him.

Real Men Wear Green
06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Yes. Team USA should get him.
Last time he went from starter to off the team. They probably were on the verge of cutting him but they gave some vague reason why he left. May be some hard feelings there, I don't know but we don't hear about Rondo being the replacement for Rose when it would make a lot of sense on paper.

ballup
06-04-2012, 09:02 PM
The enigma that is Rondo still confuses many. Best point guard? Arguable, but not easily favored. That's not the point of this thread though.

He's the best pass first point guard considering what he brings to the table. CP3, DWill, and TP have become all around point guards while Rose and Westbrook are more scoring guards/combo guards. The only thing that is keeping Rondo into this mold is his tendency to make a play for a teammate over himself. If he played more aggresively and selfishly to balance his game out, this topic would cease to exist.

The Choken One
06-04-2012, 09:34 PM
he's the point god
gotta love when the first response is better than all others.

nicely put.

Rondo is head and shoulders above all other PG's in the NBA right now...