PDA

View Full Version : The torch is being passed.........

t-rex
06-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I think its great as a long time fan of NBA basketball to see young talented teams fight and grow and eventually over take the current "team to beat" and become the dominant team of a new era.

It is a part of life.

When I was young in the 1980s the Celtics owned the ECF. The Pistons had many heartbreaking defeats until finally breaking through Boston and establishing an era of their own. Then the Bulls came along. And they too struggled, losing to the Pistons year after year until finally breaking through and establishing a historic dynasty for the ages.

Tonight we are seeing this life process again. I don't think its coincidental that OKC have beaten the Lakers and now are in position to beat the Spurs this postseason. These are the two teams that have owned the WCF. But now... there is a new sheriff in town.

The NBA is for the young.

It is for the talented.

It is for the athletically gifted.

It is not the place for aging men, with old ideas, who are past their prime.

The Lakers dynasty is over.

The Spurs dynasty is over.

Tonight the torch was passed. It is going to be a mad house in OKC Wednesday night. Tonight the "Thunder Era" begins. Game 6 is going to be a coronation celebrating a new era in WCF basketball.

And as a long time NBA fan, I always enjoy watching a new talented team grow into greatness.

PickernRoller
06-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Cool story bro....:roll: :roll: you're reading too much into what commentators say.

LeFraud James
06-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Cliff notes?

ConanRulesNBC
06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
How is the torch really being passed? The Spurs haven't won a title since 2007. It's not like the Spurs won the championship last season and the Thunder are doing this. There's really no torch to be passed. Even beating the Mavericks who did win the championship last season really wasn't anything this season without a lot of key players from last season on the team.

SCdac
06-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Probably could have said all this last season... when the Lakers and Spurs both lost in the PO's.

In the here and now, we might see two NBA franchises win their first championship in back-to-back seasons.... how often does that happen?

definitely a transition going on in the league. But it's been happening since Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe, Kidd, etc, lost their "superstar" status and/or became just good, and/or retired.

Hell, just a few seasons back guys like Mutombo, Camby, Ilguaskas, Theo Ratliff, Antonio McDyess, etc, were still solid pieces.

CavaliersFTW
06-05-2012, 12:29 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/199/896/2jfg08h.gif

TAZORAC
06-05-2012, 12:29 AM
I think its great as a long time fan of NBA basketball to see young talented teams fight and grow and eventually over take the current "team to beat" and become the dominant team of a new era.

It is a part of life.

When I was young in the 1980s the Celtics owned the ECF. The Pistons had many heartbreaking defeats until finally breaking through Boston and establishing an era of their own. Then the Bulls came along. And they too struggled, losing to the Pistons year after year until finally breaking through and establishing a historic dynasty for the ages.

Tonight we are seeing this life process again. I don't think its coincidental that OKC have beaten the Lakers and now are in position to beat the Spurs this postseason. These are the two teams that have owned the WCF. But now... there is a new sheriff in town.

It is for the talented.

Tonight the torch was passed. It is going to be a mad house in OKC Wednesday night. Tonight the "Thunder Era" begins. Game 6 is going to be a coronation celebrating a new era in WCF basketball.

And as a long time NBA fan, I always enjoy watching a new talented team grow into greatness.

In this era of free agency, dynasty's are never over! The Lakers could get Igoudala and Howard next season and win it all.

O_City_Thunder
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM

Slow your roll bro......the series isn't even over.

Eric Cartman
06-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Maybe the Thunder don't go to the finals this year but that doesn't mean the OP is wrong. It is a matter of time before the Thunder rule the West a la Lakers in the 80's (well maybe not that dominant but you get the picture). Their big 3 is only going to improve.

red1
06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
we were supposed to have years of blazers-thunder. tis a shame

t-rex
06-05-2012, 12:55 AM
we were supposed to have years of blazers-thunder. tis a shame

The Blazers are cursed.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Maybe the Thunder don't go to the finals this year but that doesn't mean the OP is wrong. It is a matter of time before the Thunder rule the West a la Lakers in the 80's (well maybe not that dominant but you get the picture). Their big 3 is only going to improve.

Agreed.

tpols
And the west is only going to get weaker.. LA will be done in 2 years.. so will SA.. so will Dallas. I dont even know whose going to challenge OKC in the West.

Then again in 2008/2009 no one could have ever seen the Thunder becoming this dominant, so maybe a new team will rise in a few like they did.

General
definitely a transition going on in the league. But it's been happening since Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe, Kidd, etc, lost their "superstar" status and/or became just good, and/or retired.
:no: Kobe is still a superstar, top 5 player, was leading the league in scoring for most of the season.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Slow your roll bro......the series isn't even over.

I think the series ended tonight. OKC fans should really look forward to Wednesday. Wednesday is going to be the biggest day OKC franchise history. I can't wait to see how electric that home court is going to be.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 12:59 AM
In this era of free agency, dynasty's are never over! The Lakers could get Igoudala and Howard next season and win it all.

It takes dominate stars to win in the NBA. Kobe is getting old. He is no longer in his prime and is further away from the peak of his skills than the stats indicate.

The Lakers run is over.

LA will not win the championship next year or in the coming few seasons.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 12:59 AM
:no: Kobe is still a superstar, top 5 player, was leading the league in scoring for most of the season.

Kobe is no longer a top 5 player. LeBron, Durant, Rose, Wade and Howard are better. ESPN had it right with Kobe at 7.

General
06-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Kobe is no longer a top 5 player. LeBron, Durant, Rose, Wade and Howard are better. ESPN had it right with Kobe at 7.
:roll:

tpols
06-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Kobe was better than Wade, Rose, and Howard this year.. it's not all that debateable.

Next year? Rose is going to miss most of the reg season right? And Wade is on an even sharper decline than Kobe is. Howard will reassume his position but he certainly still has a case for top 5.

rs98762001
06-05-2012, 01:02 AM
I am not sure Kobe is still top 5, but I don't think Wade has shown much this year to be ranked above him.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:02 AM
How is the torch really being passed? The Spurs haven't won a title since 2007. It's not like the Spurs won the championship last season and the Thunder are doing this. There's really no torch to be passed. Even beating the Mavericks who did win the championship last season really wasn't anything this season without a lot of key players from last season on the team.

Since 1999, the dominate teams in the West have been the Spurs and Lakers.

Both teams are fading right before our eyes.

A new dynasty is emerging.

The Teens will likely be the years of the Thunder. This is how the torch is being passed. Its a part of NBA history. And I think its cool when we see these defining era breaks in NBA History. And in my view, we saw one tonight.

Funnyfuka
06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
well...okc is far far above the competition. With rose out for a year, bulls are toast, and miami will never beat okc. OKC will rape everyone for a long time if they stay together.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:06 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/199/896/2jfg08h.gif

Let me get this straight. You didn't read it. But yet you knew enough about the thread topic to make a determination not to read anything. But then still took the time to post within the thread to state that you didn't read it. And include video! Yea... that makes a lot of sense.

:oldlol:

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Kobe was better than Wade, Rose, and Howard this year.. it's not all that debateable.

Next year? Rose is going to miss most of the reg season right? And Wade is on an even sharper decline than Kobe is. Howard will reassume his position but he certainly still has a case for top 5.

Rose and Howard were both hurt. When healthy, they're far better than Kobe. Wade is on the cusp, but I'd still put him over Kobe. I feel like if you switched Wade and Kobe the Lakers are better and the Heat are worse.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:07 AM
I am not sure Kobe is still top 5, but I don't think Wade has shown much this year to be ranked above him.

Niether Wade or Kobe are top 5 NBA players.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Cool story bro....:roll: :roll: you're reading too much into what commentators say.

No, as you get older you just have more perspective.:oldlol:

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Cliff notes?

:confusedshrug:

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Niether Wade or Kobe are top 5 NBA players.

If I were to rank it:

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Rose
4. Howard
5. Wade
6. Paul
7. Kobe
8. Dirk
9. Melo
10. Rondo

CavaliersFTW
06-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Let me get this straight. You didn't read it. But yet you knew enough about the thread topic to make a determination not to read anything. But then still took the time to post within the thread to state that you didn't read it. And include video! Yea... that makes a lot of sense.

:oldlol:
Yep! mad? :lol

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:13 AM
If I were to rank it:

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Rose
4. Howard
5. Wade
6. Paul
7. Kobe
8. Dirk
9. Melo
10. Rondo

Not a bad list. But I would move Dirk up over Wade, Paul and Kobe. And before Kobe fans go crazy, I am talking about right now, not historically or over the course of an entire career.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Not a bad list. But I would move Dirk up over Wade, Paul and Kobe. And before Kobe fans go crazy, I am talking about right now, not historically or over the course of an entire career.

The way Dirk completely tanked this year bothered me. He's easily a top 5 player at times, but he basically took the year off. You can't say that about the guys ranked above him.

Jacks3
06-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Rose and Howard were both hurt. When healthy, they're far better than Kobe. Wade is on the cusp, but I'd still put him over Kobe. I feel like if you switched Wade and Kobe the Lakers are better and the Heat are worse.
I hope you're joking. Wade missed 16 games this year. That alone would make the Lakers worse.

And Kobe's shooting would be a huge upgrade for Miami. His game is a better fit next to LeBron.

Also, LOL @ Rose being anywhere near "far" better.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Yep! mad? :lol

Hey I like that song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

:party: :party: :party:

tpols
06-05-2012, 01:16 AM
It doesnt matter if they were hurt.. they still werent better this year. And Rose will have a tough time reestablishing himself next year with that injury.

Wade averaged: 22/5/5 50% in the RS and 23/5/4 on 48% in the Playoffs
Kobe averaged: 28/5.5/5 43% in the RS and 30/5/4 on 44% in the Playoffs

Kobe was the first option while Wade was the second and Kobe's game rised in the playoffs against better competition than Wade faced while Wade's went down from the RS to the playoffs.

Unless Wade has a monster finish here and the Heat win, Kobe will have been the better player this season because he has been up to this point.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:17 AM
The way Dirk completely tanked this year bothered me. He's easily a top 5 player at times, but he basically took the year off. You can't say that about the guys ranked above him.

Fair point. It looks like Dirk is going to be content with one championship.

tpols
06-05-2012, 01:18 AM
I hope you're joking. Wade missed 16 games this year. That alone would make the Lakers worse.

And Kobe's shooting would be a huge upgrade for Miami. His game is a better fit next to LeBron.

Also, LOL @ Rose being anywhere near "far" better.
Yea its pretty much a joke. Rose shoots even less efficeintly on a lower volume and isnt anywhere near the defender.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:19 AM
It doesnt matter if they were hurt.. they still werent better this year. And Rose will have a tough time reestablishing himself next year with that injury.

Wade averaged: 22/5/5 50% in the RS and 23/5/4 on 48% in the Playoffs
Kobe averaged: 28/5.5/5 43% in the RS and 30/5/4 on 44% in the Playoffs

Kobe was the first option while Wade was the second and Kobe's game rised in the playoffs against better competition than Wade faced while Wade's went down from the RS to the playoffs.

Unless Wade has a monster finish here and the Heat win, Kobe will have been the better player this season because he has been up to this point.

Well, I'm not really ranking them as players just off this year, but in general. Just because Kobe had a better season this year, doesn't make him better. Kevin Love had a better season than Dirk, but I wouldn't say he's the better player.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Yea its pretty much a joke. Rose shoots even less efficeintly on a lower volume and isnt anywhere near the defender.

Rose and Kobe are about equal defenders at this point. With Rose I know I have someone that can break down the defense and attack the rim. Kobe can't remotely do that anymore.

tpols
06-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Well, I'm not really ranking them as players just off this year, but in general. Just because Kobe had a better season this year, doesn't make him better. Kevin Love had a better season than Dirk, but I wouldn't say he's the better player.
The difference is Kevin Love is a somewhat unproven player who hasnt ever shown he could be part of a winning formula and youre using him in an analogy with a proven top 20 GOAT level player in Dirk... where in the original comparison Kobe is even more proven than Wade is and has been flat out better this season.. making him the better player.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:23 AM
The difference is Kevin Love is a somewhat unproven player who hasnt ever shown he could be part of a winning formula and youre using him in an analogy with a proven top 20 GOAT level player in Dirk... where in the original comparison Kobe is even more proven than Wade is and has been flat out better this season.. making him the better player.

I would argue that Kobe really hasn't been better than Wade for about 3-4 years. Wade looks like crap right now, but in general, Wade has been far better as attacker, defender and someone that can create for others.

tpols
06-05-2012, 01:25 AM
I would argue that Kobe really hasn't been better than Wade for about 3-4 years. Wade looks like crap right now, but in general, Wade has been far better as attacker, defender and someone that can create for others.
It's your opinion, with no real evidence.. so whatever. But all that was being talked about is whats happening now.. so the bolded is all that matters in this discussion.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:30 AM
It's your opinion, with no real evidence.. so whatever. But all that was being talked about is whats happening now.. so the bolded is all that matters in this discussion.

Well, really, was Kobe's run any better? Wade's game 6 against Indy would surely be the best performance.

Kobe averaged 28, 5 and 5 on 44%

Wade's got 22, 5 and 5 on 48%

That and I look at the fact that Kobe Bryant actually took more shots in those 12 games than Wade has in 15...

tpols
06-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Well, really, was Kobe's run any better? Wade's game 6 against Indy would surely be the best performance.

Kobe averaged 28, 5 and 5 on 44%

Wade's got 22, 5 and 5 on 48%

That and I look at the fact that Kobe Bryant actually took more shots in those 12 games than Wade has in 15...
Kobe averaged 30 flat.. and was the undisputed first option while Wade has had the luxury of completely taking games off/ending games with 5 points/etc. Wade has also gone up against way easier opponents. Lets not act like LA would've lost to NY, Indy, or Boston. They would be in the finals right now if they switched spots with Miami.. and miami would likely be fishing just like they are.

And then there's the regular season where Kobe played better and played in a lot more games. So its not really that close up to this point.

SacJB Shady
06-05-2012, 01:38 AM

It is a part of life.

It is for the talented.

IT'S NOT OVER..................

Eric Cartman
06-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Hey I like that song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

:party: :party: :party:

Better than Hot Problems.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Kobe averaged 30 flat.. and was the undisputed first option while Wade has had the luxury of completely taking games off/ending games with 5 points/etc. Wade has also gone up against way easier opponents. Lets not act like LA would've lost to NY, Indy, or Boston. They would be in the finals right now if they switched spots with Miami.. and miami would likely be fishing just like they are.

And then there's the regular season where Kobe played better and played in a lot more games. So its not really that close up to this point.

Like I said though, this wasn't just about who had the better season this year. It's about what you've seen from them over the recent past and who they are now. You take Kobe and put him on Miami and they might very well lose to Indy. The Lakers on the other hand probably fair better with Wade attacking the basket and being able to facilitate better for the Lakers' bigs.

He's not going to take 25 shots a game when he's got two 20-25 point options on his team. That's a big plus. I actually think Kobe's season this year was pretty glaring in terms of where he's limited. Both are on the decline, but I'll take a guy that can co-exist and subjugate over a guy that still tries to play like he's 25.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:46 AM
IT'S NOT OVER..................

A sign of intelligence is the ability to logically deduct and conclude what will happen and prepare vs those who must wait for what will happen to actually occur and then react.:oldlol:

This series is over.

tpols
06-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Like I said though, this wasn't just about who had the better season this year. It's about what you've seen from them over the recent past and who they are now. You take Kobe and put him on Miami and they might very well lose to Indy. The Lakers on the other hand probably fair better with Wade attacking the basket and being able to facilitate better for the Lakers' bigs.

He's not going to take 25 shots a game when he's got two 20-25 point options on his team. That's a big plus. I actually think Kobe's season this year was pretty glaring in terms of where he's limited. Both are on the decline, but I'll take a guy that can co-exist and subjugate over a guy that still tries to play like he's 25.
I personally think thats absurd. Kobe's game would go better with Lebron's than Wade's does because he can spread the floor much better and offer a different, less redundant brand of basketball.

Kobe wasnt really forcing it in this years playoffs.. Bynum and Gasol were fluttering big time with their effort/performances and he was in a lot of positions where he had to shoot the ball. Weve never seen Kobe play with a dominant perimeter player beside him but i think hed defer just fine to Lebron who isnt going to suddenly stop giving you great numbers.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:48 AM
A sign of intelligence is the ability to logically deduct and conclude what will happen and prepare vs those who must wait for what will happen to actually occur and then react.:oldlol:

This series is over.

The only thing that bothers me is that if San Antonio does pull out game 6, the series completely swings back in their favor. OKC's in a good position right now, but I'm not ready to call it.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
06-05-2012, 01:52 AM

It is a part of life.

It is for the talented.

Lol Gtfo....with this weak a$$ sh1t... Talk about ur spurs

Lakers will be back up next year

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:54 AM
The only thing that bothers me is that if San Antonio does pull out game 6, the series completely swings back in their favor. OKC's in a good position right now, but I'm not ready to call it.

I actually think that even if SA wins game 6, the Thunder would be even money to win game 7 on the road.

Like I said earlier.... winning game 6 in OKC for the Spurs is actually more difficult than winning game 7 in SA would be for the Thunder.

This is what gives the Thunder the edge. The Spurs now must win twice.

Finally...

I am trying to think of a best of 7 NBA series where a team won 3 straight games after initially trailing, and yet still lost the overall series. I can't think of any. And I have been watching the NBA for along time.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:55 AM
I personally think thats absurd. Kobe's game would go better with Lebron's than Wade's does because he can spread the floor much better and offer a different, less redundant brand of basketball.

Kobe wasnt really forcing it in this years playoffs.. Bynum and Gasol were fluttering big time with their effort/performances and he was in a lot of positions where he had to shoot the ball. Weve never seen Kobe play with a dominant perimeter player beside him but i think hed defer just fine to Lebron who isnt going to suddenly stop giving you great numbers.

The thing though is that we've seen Kobe have issues deferring his entire career. Obviously with Shaq and now with Bynum. We can all point out Bynum's shortcomings, but he was the best chance for the Lakers' season. He was the key to them having a big run. Kobe never seemed to realize that. Bynum should've gotten much more than 13 shots a game.

Kobe needs to take a look at what Duncan did with Parker and take a step back. Until he does that, the Lakers will keep getting knocked out of the second round or worse. You can't be the good teammate when things go well, but completely blow it off when things go bad.

I see no way possible for Kobe to admit being second best and deferring to a better player like LeBron.

Plus, Wade and LeBron's athleticism make up for many sins of the Miami roster. Kobe would really hamper them in getting easy baskets.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 01:56 AM
I actually think that even if SA wins game 6, the Thunder would be even money to win game 7 on the road.

Like I said earlier.... winning game 6 in OKC for the Spurs is actually more difficult than winning game 7 in SA would be for the Thunder.

This is what gives the Thunder the edge. The Spurs now must win twice.

Finally...

I am trying to think of a best of 7 NBA series where a team won 3 straight games after initially trailing, and yet still lost the overall series. I can't think of any. And I have been watching the NBA for along time.

I just don't like the idea of saying either of these series are over at this point.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Lol Gtfo....with this weak a$$ sh1t... Talk about ur spurs

Lakers will be back up next year

All of the teams will be back next year. The point is the Lakers will not be wining a championship. In fact the Lakers will not even be in the 2013 WCFs.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:00 AM
I just don't like the idea of saying either of these series are over at this point.

You are a wise person. :bowdown:

However I always prefer to take the bold approach!:oldlol:

But seriously, has there ever been a 7 game NBA series where one team dropped the first 2, won the next 3, and then lost the final 2? Especially in the 2-2-1-1-1 format?

That hasn't even occurred in the NBA finals where we have 2-3-2. History all of a sudden is really against the Spurs.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:00 AM
All of the teams will be back next year. The point is the Lakers will not be wining a championship. In fact the Lakers will not even be in the 2013 WCFs.

Really depends on who they get back in terms of trades and whether or not Kobe finds a way to mix in better. Even if that does work out for them, there's always Mike Brown.

chazzy
06-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Kobe needs to take a look at what Duncan did with Parker and take a step back. Until he does that, the Lakers will keep getting knocked out of the second round or worse.
Bad analogy. Duncan's no longer an all NBA player and Parker has proven to be able to run an offense effectively. Bynum is nowhere near that level of team offensive dominance to earn the keys to the Laker offense the way Parker has. Not to mention the system overhaul by Popovich.

And Lebron/Kobe would work fine. They may not be as good of a regular season team because of the lack of fastbreak/athletic dominance over teams, but in a series like this when the game is slowed down, I'd rather have Kobe over Wade. Especially with Lebron picking up the opposing team's best defender and the inability to blatantly double Kobe from the perimeter. Wade can't consistently bring it on a night to night basis right now.

bukowski81
06-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Dont get me wrong, OKC is great, but they havent been in a NBA finals yet, let alone win it and people are talking about a dinasty?? seriously?? :facepalm

talkingconch
06-05-2012, 02:04 AM
they said the same thing last year

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Really depends on who they get back in terms of trades and whether or not Kobe finds a way to mix in better. Even if that does work out for them, there's always Mike Brown.

If the Lakers swap out Bynum for Howard, would they have won the WCF this year?

If the answer is no, with Kobe a year older, Howard coming off of back surgery and Gasol gone... how could LA win the title next year? Even with this block-buster best case scenario deal, the Lakers are still a long way from the NBA Finals.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Bad analogy. Duncan's no longer an all NBA player and Parker has proven to be able to run an offense effectively. Bynum is nowhere near that level of team offensive dominance to earn the keys to the Laker offense the way Parker has. Not to mention the system overhaul by Popovich.

No, but Bynum is the best option for the Lakers if they want to contend for a title again. I'm not saying Kobe can't take the shots down the stretch, but the game should start by going into Bynum. He should be getting 20 shots a game. He should be the first option now.

Rondo doesn't have the resume that KG or Pierce does, but it's his show now. It's not because Pierce or KG can't get theirs, but that it's the best way for Boston to win now.

Here's the thing, Kobe can still play at a high level individually. It's just not a way to win anymore.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:07 AM
No, but Bynum is the best option for the Lakers if they want to contend for a title again. I'm not saying Kobe can't take the shots down the stretch, but the game should start by going into Bynum. He should be getting 20 shots a game. He should be the first option now.

Rondo doesn't have the resume that KG or Pierce does, but it's his show now. It's not because Pierce or KG can't get theirs, but that it's the best way for Boston to win now.

Here's the thing, Kobe can still play at a high level individually. It's just not a way to win anymore.

I'm not sure Kobe would ever relinquish control the way Garnett and Pierce have in Boston.

tpols
06-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Yup.. I wouldnt expect a non laker fan to see it.. but if you've seen 30+ Laker games from this season and all of them in the POs, you'd know that Bynum is very hard to work through.

People thinks it's an excuse, but he really cant handle/pass out of double teams. And his slow methodical moves are very easily predictable and counterable ESPECIALLY in a 7 game series where tape is being watched every night for the same players.

It's not.. Bynum needs more shots. It's Bynum needs to learn how to incorporate the whole team into his mind when he catches it down low so he can break defenses down without making a mistake due to the pressure. He doesnt have the IQ to be an offensive first option on a contending team.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:08 AM
If the Lakers swap out Bynum for Howard, would they have won the WCF this year?

If the answer is no, with Kobe a year older, Howard coming off of back surgery and Gasol gone... how could LA win the title next year? Even with this block-buster best case scenario deal, the Lakers are still a long way from the NBA Finals.

I'm going to say no. I think OKC does about as well against that team as they did in reality. Gasol is the guy that has to go. You ship him out for a couple of pieces and then rework the offense by going into Bynum.

Put it this way, if you were an OKC fan, who would you have been more afraid of? Bynum or Kobe?

chazzy
06-05-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm a big Bynum fan but he's not there yet. 20 shots a game? He still can't handle double teams as a 2nd option. The offense loses all flow when he gets doubled because he holds the ball for too long and the shot clock dies out. He loses his composure and doesn't bring effort consistently either. And he's not always in optimal position to receive the ball either. He was looking great for most of the regular season but regressed a bit in the playoffs.

The Laker offense was always at it's best with Odom and Pau. The Pau/Bynum experiment never worked offensively.. the potential was there but there was never any chemistry.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Honest question, do you guys really think Kobe is still your best option and that the way he's playing can get you to the Finals?

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm a big Bynum fan but he's not there yet. 20 shots a game? He still can't handle double teams as a 2nd option. The offense loses all flow when he gets doubled because he holds the ball for too long and the shot clock dies out. He loses his composure and doesn't bring effort consistently either. And he's not always in optimal position to receive the ball either. He was looking great for most of the regular season but regressed a bit in the playoffs.

The Laker offense was always at it's best with Odom and Pau. The Pau/Bynum experiment never worked offensively.. the potential was there but there was never any chemistry.

Sure, he's going to have flaws, but then what do you do? Keep going the way that has ended with getting beaten easily in the second round for two years?

Celtic_Pride
06-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Lakers, Spurs and Mavericks are the perennial WCF powerhouses in the last decade.

If the Thunder wins on Wednesday, this season OKC had beaten Mavs, Lakers and Spurs to reach the Finals

Amazing :applause:

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Lakers, Spurs and Mavericks are the perennial WCF powerhouses in the last decade.

If the Thunder wins on Wednesday, this season OKC had beaten Mavs, Lakers and Spurs to reach the Finals

Amazing :applause:

What would be amazing is if they beat Boston in the NBA Finals. They would've beaten the last 4 championship teams on their way to a title.

tpols
06-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Honest question, do you guys really think Kobe is still your best option and that the way he's playing can get you to the Finals?
If they can get a decent PG that can shoot like Dragic or even Lowry and trade Pau for some pieces to bolster their bench they can still contend. Bynum will only get better. He's just not there yet. The Lakers were making it a point to get the ball into Bynum all year. It's not like Kobe.. was just going against the plan. Bynum just doesnt know how to orchestrate an offense out of the post like other great big men have been able to do yet.

chazzy
06-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Sure, he's going to have flaws, but then what do you do? Keep going the way that has ended with getting beaten easily in the second round for two years?
Make roster changes. The team is losing for many reasons beyond the ratio of shots between Kobe and Bynum.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:16 AM
If they can get a decent PG that can shoot like Dragic or even Lowry and trade Pau for some pieces to bolster their bench they can still contend. Bynum will only get better. He's just not there yet. The Lakers were making it a point to get the ball into Bynum all year. It's not like Kobe.. was just going against the plan. Bynum just doesnt know how to orchestrate an offense out of the post like other great big men have been able to do yet.

That's the point though. He's your best option now. He's going to have his flaws, but Bynum getting it is the only way you're going to win a title anytime soon. He has to be given that chance and it's not happening if another guy on the team is taking 25 shots a game.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:16 AM
Make roster changes. The team is losing for many reasons beyond the ratio of shots between Kobe and Bynum.

What roster changes? Getting Michael Beasley? So you can lose to the Thunder in maybe 6 next year?

WeGetRing2012
06-05-2012, 02:18 AM
The Lakers aren't going anywhere. Keep dreaming...

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:19 AM

In the Western Conference no. One of the biggest problems Kobe is going to have is that the West looks stacked in the coming years. Lets be honest, if the Lakers were in the Eastern Conference they are probably preparing for game 5 tomorrow against Miami. I think Kobe is going to need a lot of help to get back to the NBA Finals in the coming years. And to prove this just look at my last scenario. There seems to be a consensus that even if you were to add an all star like Howard to the Lakers, they still don't get to the finals.

Kobe has gone from a great scorer to a volume scorer. And that doesn't lead to championships. (This is why the Bulls and D-Rose are vastly overrated.) Conversely I don't think he has the mindset to ever relinquish enough power to allow the many parts its going to take to get him back to the NBA Finals to flourish. The fact that in the Lakers closeout game, Bryant had 0 assists speaks volumes. This is the problem for the Lakers. And given the new salary cap ramifications of the CBA, I don't see a solution.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:21 AM
The fact that in the Lakers closeout game, Bryant had 0 assists speaks volumes.

I loved that. The ultimate "not my fault" game. :lol

Horatio33
06-05-2012, 02:23 AM
As a Spurs fan Im conceding the series. OKC figured us out. We can't get stops when we need them. They made the adjustments after game two and have been great. Athleticism has helped tons too. Maybe Spurs can win game 6 but can't see us winning two.

OKC is the future, Spurs and Lakers are the past in the west.

tpols
06-05-2012, 02:24 AM
That's the point though. He's your best option now. He's going to have his flaws, but Bynum getting it is the only way you're going to win a title anytime soon. He has to be given that chance and it's not happening if another guy on the team is taking 25 shots a game.
The Lakers will never win a title with Bynum as the main option imo. He's never going to be a 23-25 ppg scorer because he isnt mobile enough, doesnt have the endurance to carry a team like that, and he isnt smart enough(this is the only thing that can really change). He's not Shaq.. Bynum cant run and isnt all that athletic. He's tall, huge, and has nice touch/coordination. But he doesnt have much else.

LA will probably never win another title with any of the guys on the team right now.. but their best shot is to have Bynum and Kobe come out strong next year, and have their bench PG positions filled with talent. They have a better shot at winning with their current formula plus some mods than they do just handing the reigns to Bynum and relegating kobe to a 15ppg second option.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:26 AM
I loved that. The ultimate "not my fault" game. :lol

Even worse, that was a man who went into that game knowing his team had no shot at winning and therefore just wanted to make statistical stand. That is not a good sign for the future.

I'm sorry but in my day, Bird and Magic would have never done that to their teammates.

WeGetRing2012
06-05-2012, 02:26 AM
In the Western Conference no. One of the biggest problems Kobe is going to have is that the West looks stacked in the coming years. Lets be honest, if the Lakers were in the Eastern Conference they are probably preparing for game 5 tomorrow against Miami. I think Kobe is going to need a lot of help to get back to the NBA Finals in the coming years. And to prove this just look at my last scenario. There seems to be a consensus that even if you were to add an all star like Howard to the Lakers, they still don't get to the finals.

Kobe has gone from a great scorer to a volume scorer. And that doesn't lead to championships. (This is why the Bulls and D-Rose are vastly overrated.) Conversely I don't think he has the mindset to ever relinquish enough power to allow the many parts its going to take to get him back to the NBA Finals to flourish. The fact that in the Lakers closeout game, Bryant had 0 assists speaks volumes. This is the problem for the Lakers. And given the new salary cap ramifications of the CBA, I don't see a solution.

This makes no sense at all :facepalm :facepalm

So Kobe had 42 points in the closeout game and 0 assists. But the 0 ASSISTS are supposed to show how he has declined :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Kobe is not the issue with the Lakers. Its the fact that the other 2 big players haven't been pulling their weight. If we can get Deron & Howard + role players the Lakers will be right back on top. And getting them is definitely a possibility because Gasol & Bynum are still good trading pieces.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:29 AM
They have a better shot at winning with their current formula plus some mods than they do just handing the reigns to Bynum and relegating kobe to a 15ppg second option.

Completely disagree. Kobe would have to score more than 15, but 28 is too much. Not winning anything like that with the player he is now.

Here's the thing, if not Bynum, then it has to be someone. Point is, playing through Kobe means a tough first round series and getting dumped easily in the second round.

You can't keep trying the same thing and expect to get a different result. Adding a couple of pieces doesn't change things. Just like if Miami loses this year it won't be enough to add another player. Big changes will need to be made and not just with personnel. The Lakers are in that situation right now.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Even worse, that was a man who went into that game knowing his team had no shot at winning and therefore just wanted to make statistical stand. That is not a good sign for the future.

I'm sorry but in my day, Bird and Magic would have never done that to their teammates.

It's Kobe though. His teammates serve a purpose for him and that's all. Not knocking him really. I wish LeBron had more of that attitude.

WeGetRing2012
06-05-2012, 02:31 AM

Again makes NO SENSE. Kobe doesnt go out there to prove anything to anyone when he plays. Not to critics,analyst, or posters on this site. He goes out there to win. And him putting up 42 points was to help win the game and nothing else. :facepalm :facepalm

You act like Kobe was on the trading block and had to prove why he deserved to be on the team...

Get real.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:34 AM
As a Spurs fan Im conceding the series. OKC figured us out. We can't get stops when we need them. They made the adjustments after game two and have been great. Athleticism has helped tons too. Maybe Spurs can win game 6 but can't see us winning two.

OKC is the future, Spurs and Lakers are the past in the west.

Don't worry, it happens to all of us. Spurs fans should be celebrating their 4 championships and a modern day dynasty that spanned more than 10 years. Dynasties and great play ends for all great teams. Like I said in the OP it is a part of life.

I can remember watching the Bird/McHale/Parish Celtics play in the ECF finals in 1988. These Celtics had been to the NBA Finals 4 straight years. They had 3 NBA Championships and a string of historic legendary names, games and performances.

I was a kid. I grew up with this team.

But about midway through the 4th quarter of game 5 of that ECF series against the Pistons, all of a sudden we just looked slow, lost, and it was clear our time was done. They still had heart and championship demeanor, but that was no longer enough. There is no substitute for youth. Especially talented youth.

I had the same feeling watching the Spurs tonight. Its a part of sports. And its something a fan of every team goes through eventually.

chazzy
06-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Even worse, that was a man who went into that game knowing his team had no shot at winning and therefore just wanted to make statistical stand.

It was a tied game late in the 3rd. OKC just blew the doors off in the 4th

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:39 AM
It's Kobe though. His teammates serve a purpose for him and that's all. Not knocking him really. I wish LeBron had more of that attitude.

Agreed.

Lebron is too nice. He needs more of a mean streak. Bird was mean and often not liked. He also got his first NBA coach, Bill Fitch fired. MJ was legendary for this. Magic had a coach fired too and forced the trade of Norm Nixon. Kobe is often not well liked.

But Lebron? Do you ever hear about any dispute with a coach or teammate? Even D-Wade will blow up at people before Lebron will. Great players are mean. This is where Lebron fails.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:39 AM

Come on. The guy had no assists. It was 3-1 and everyone knew it was over. Kobe had blown games 2 and 4. He wasn't going into the summer letting every bash him.

You're the biggest homer ever if you think Kobe's mind doesn't work that way. He's done that stuff for his entire career.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:40 AM

And anyone who was smart knew that at some point OKC was going to blow the doors off the Lakers and win that game. Everybody knew it, including Kobe.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Come on. The guy had no assists. It was 3-1 and everyone knew it was over. Kobe had blown games 2 and 4. He wasn't going into the summer letting every bash him.

You're the biggest homer ever if you think Kobe's mind doesn't work that way. He's done that stuff for his entire career.

Remember the Suns/Lakers close out game about 5-6 years ago? Kobe has a history of questionable play in playoff close out games when he can logically conclude the Lakers are finished.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Agreed.

Lebron is too nice. He needs more of a mean streak. Bird was mean and often not liked. He also got his first NBA coach, Bill Fitch fired. MJ was legendary for this. Magic had a coach fired too and forced the trade of Norm Nixon. Kobe is often not well liked.

But Lebron? Do you ever hear about any dispute with a coach or teammate? Even D-Wade will blow up at people before Lebron will. Great players are mean. This is where Lebron fails.

LeBron's just not a killer. You can see that his first thought is always about making a play. He's wired very similar to Magic. Everyone dumps on LeBron for letting Wade take the shots at the ends of games, but people forget that the Lakers' go-to guy at the ends of games was Kareem. Magic even says so in his book.

It's a great and admirable quality to want to actually play as a team and have it be natural. It's just that it really gets hard to win when others on your team don't have it.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 02:45 AM
So Kobe had 42 points in the closeout game and 0 assists. But the 0 ASSISTS are supposed to show how he has declined :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

If you don't think Kobe's skills are diminishing, I don't know how we can go any further.:facepalm

tpols
06-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Magic was never the scorer Lebron James is though. And Kareem is probably the most unstoppable scorer of all time so that makes sense. Lebron, on the other hand, is a much better scorer than Wade and has been for a few years.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Remember the Suns/Lakers close out game about 5-6 years ago? Kobe has a history of questionable play in playoff close out games when he can logically conclude the Lakers are finished.

Well, go back to game 7 against Boston. Kobe went out trying to be the story and take the moment. That's cool, but it wasn't there and he kept shooting. That's who he is.

Bill Simmons said it best. Jordan was about vanquishing his opponents, Kobe is about personal glory.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Magic was never the scorer Lebron James is though. And Kareem is probably the most unstoppable scorer of all time so that makes sense. Lebron, on the other hand, is a much better scorer than Wade and has been for a few years.

What exactly is your point? That the 1980's Lakers were better than the current day Heat? That's not remotely in debate.

ihoopallday
06-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Agreed.

I actually agree with this analysis. LeBron needs to develop that killer instinct. Knowing he will do absolutely anything to win.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:51 AM
I actually agree with this analysis. LeBron needs to develop that killer instinct. Knowing he will do absolutely anything to win.

He's now 9 years in. This is who he is. The guy is one of the top 15-20 players ever. You have to be an absolute hack to dispute that at this point. It's now a matter of where he is on that list. Is he MJ? No, but neither is anyone else in the league.

tpols
06-05-2012, 02:51 AM
What exactly is your point? That the 1980's Lakers were better than the current day Heat? That's not remotely in debate.
My point is the better scorer should be the one who gets the ball.. when you need to score. And since Kareem was a better scorer than Magic, he got the ball. You dont see where this is going with relation to Miami?

StateOfMind12
06-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Kobe has been top 5 a player this season but I don't think he is a top 5 overall player. It has more to do with the injuries of Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, etc. have gone through this season more than it has to do with Kobe actually being top 5 good this season.

My top 5 overall players to me is this

1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Chris Paul
4. Derrick Rose
5. Dwight Howard

This is my top 5 overall players which excludes health issues, hence why Rose, Howard, and CP3 are there.

Howard would probably be 3rd if he wasn't such a diva and it is a big deal because it hurts his team and hurts them from playing as well and winning. He is still top 5 though despite that.

Kobe is probably like 6th-8th overall best player in the league. I think he is still the best SG in the league though but that is because Dwyane Wade has declined as well.

Horatio33
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM

One thing you can't develop. It's either in you or it isn't.

Eric Cartman
06-05-2012, 02:54 AM

and wayyy more consistant while being a better all around player.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 02:55 AM
My point is the better scorer should be the one who gets the ball.. when you need to score. And since Kareem was a better scorer than Magic, he got the ball. You dont see where this is going?

I don't necessarily think that LeBron is a better scorer like that. He'll score more points sure, but in terms of creating his own shot I think Wade is better. Take a look at the shot Wade got at the end of game 4 vs. the one LeBron got at the end of game 2. Wade's not a three point shooter, but it was a good look.

I don't see that as a shortcoming of LeBron's, but more of a skill that Wade has.

Jacks3
06-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Again makes NO SENSE. Kobe doesnt go out there to prove anything to anyone when he plays. Not to critics,analyst, or posters on this site. He goes out there to win. And him putting up 42 points was to help win the game and nothing else. :facepalm :facepalm

You act like Kobe was on the trading block and had to prove why he deserved to be on the team...

Get real.
This. Seriously, some of these posts are just horrible. It's like they're just repeating what the media tells them....instead of taking the time to actually analyze what's going on.

Jacks3
06-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Yup.. I wouldnt expect a non laker fan to see it.. but if you've seen 30+ Laker games from this season and all of them in the POs, you'd know that Bynum is very hard to work through.

People thinks it's an excuse, but he really cant handle/pass out of double teams. And his slow methodical moves are very easily predictable and counterable ESPECIALLY in a 7 game series where tape is being watched every night for the same players.

It's not.. Bynum needs more shots. It's Bynum needs to learn how to incorporate the whole team into his mind when he catches it down low so he can break defenses down without making a mistake due to the pressure. He doesnt have the IQ to be an offensive first option on a contending team.
And this.

There's a reason the Lakers ORTG was BETTER when Bynum was out of the game this season.

There's a reason his efficiency saw a HUGE decline when Kobe was out.

There's a reason Phil much preferred the Odom/Pau combo.

SMH. Such ignorance.

Jacks3
06-05-2012, 03:15 AM
You take Kobe and put him on Miami and they might very well lose to Indy.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

T-Time3
06-05-2012, 03:18 AM
I think the series ended tonight. OKC fans should really look forward to Wednesday. Wednesday is going to be the biggest day OKC franchise history. I can't wait to see how electric that home court is going to be.

this part is true tho

blacknapalm
06-05-2012, 03:21 AM
no disrespect, but the spurs haven't been to the conference finals since 2008 or the finals since 2007. can you really say the torch has been passed? valiant effort by SA - i don't think any other coach could have gotten that team the #1 record and this deep into the playoffs. they are just overmatched now and i don't see it as a 'torch passing'

if you mean a western conference torch passing in general, then ya, that makes more sense. LA won't be completely out of it but the WC is going to be in OKC's hands as long as they can retain harden. if they lose harden, it'll be tougher and they'll have to properly build around durant/westbrook.

oh ya, watch out for the hornets. i'm not being facetious...obviously not in the next couple years but in a few seasons if they rarely make mistakes regarding their roster and davis reaches his potential, they're going to be like what people were saying about OKC when they got durant/westbrook years ago

Jacks3
06-05-2012, 03:23 AM
I
The fact that in the Lakers closeout game, Bryant had 0 assists speaks volumes. .
Yeah, he only had 42/5 on 59% TS that game. He's clearly the problem.

You realize that the only non-PG's to average more APG than Kobe this season are LBJ and Iggy.

Please. Kobe is the least of the Lakers problems.

The Lakers weren't contenders because:

1. They have the worse bench in the league
2. Their 3-pt shooting was 28th in the league.
3. The Lakers 4-15 were the LEAST productive in the entire league going by both the PER and BAD stat.
3. They're dead last in creating turnovers. They have BY FAR the worst turnover differential in the league.
4. Their coach is a moron.
5. Both their PG and SF rotation were the ranked dead last in the league.
5. The Pau/Bynum has never worked and never will. Offensively or defensively. It kills the Lakers spacing. Do you think it's a coincidence that Kobe's TS% was 53% with them on the field and 56% TS when one of them was off?

The fact they finished with the #3 seed and 6th best record is actually kind of amazing.

But I'm sure that all Kobe's fault right. :facepalm

WeGetRing2012
06-05-2012, 04:24 AM

You realize that the only non-PG's to average more APG than Kobe this season are LBJ and Iggy.

3. The Lakers 4-15 were the LEAST productive in the entire league going by both the PER and BAD stat.
3. They're dead last in creating turnovers. They have BY FAR the worst turnover differential in the league.
5. The Pau/Bynum has never worked and never will. Offensively or defensively. It kills the Lakers spacing. Do you think it's a coincidence that Kobe's TS% was 53% with them on the field and 56% TS when one of them was off?

The fact they finished with the #3 seed and 6th best record is actually kind of amazing.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I just can't wait until Mitch fixes this mess during the offseason. But by then the haters will have a new problem for Kobe.

WeGetRing2012
06-05-2012, 04:28 AM
And this.

There's a reason the Lakers ORTG was BETTER when Bynum was out of the game this season.

There's a reason his efficiency saw a HUGE decline when Kobe was out.

There's a reason Phil much preferred the Odom/Pau combo.

SMH. Such ignorance.

And the Pau/Odom combo was more mobile too. Bynum is VERY slow on both offense and defense. Which hurt us big time in OKC series, he really needs to work on moving around on defense. Bynum is a good player though but I don't think I want him on the team next year.

And the spacing was always off with Bynum/Pau too.

PickernRoller
06-05-2012, 04:50 AM

lol WTF is this crap? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wow...not only a horrible poster, an annoying as hell celtic game announcer(gotta stop that shit bro) and now a complete retard....:facepalm

Really enlightened by your views here matey....so 0 assist and 42 points leads you to believe he placed his team under the bus, did not try to get them involved, failed as a leader and went for a selfish statistical game to put up face. How f'cking retarded is this? :roll: :roll: leave it to the haters and the creative spirit...

Lets contemplate the other scenario which I am sure a few haters had already lined up in an eventual loss..... He got 6 assist, scored 30 points on 45FG% and lost by 30.....ahaha Kobe got blown, he always struggles in elimination games, selfish ball hog....got shut down.....Top 20 at best....:roll: :roll: :roll: Ohh wait, they did that one didn't they?

At the end of the day....haters will never be pleased. Anyway, have I told you cool story bro?

ninephive
06-05-2012, 08:04 AM
And the west is only going to get weaker.. LA will be done in 2 years.. so will SA.. so will Dallas. I dont even know whose going to challenge OKC in the West.

Then again in 2008/2009 no one could have ever seen the Thunder becoming this dominant, so maybe a new team will rise in a few like they did.
Yah, but they were saying these teams were old/done as far back as 07 (really even further). Since then, it's been SAS, LAL, DAL to come out of the west and when titles. And this series isn't even over yet. Spurs were down 3-2 to Chris Paul's Hornets a few years ago (who everyone was saying was taking the mantle), but Spurs came back and won game 6 & 7 to win the series. The Spurs are a better team than they have been in a few years, so who's to say they don't get better next year as their role players get better? I think everyone is still waiting for the torch to actually be passed.

t-rex
06-05-2012, 12:38 PM

http://www.stevebloom.com/images/b/002491-SB1.jpg

Some people really do, only see what they want.:facepalm