PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Rick Reiley: LeBron being LeBron

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
[quote=Rick Reiley]This whole We Hate LeBron thing reminds me of a story.

A woman is in front of an apartment house that's engulfed in flames. She's screaming, "Help! Help! My baby's in there!"

A man sprints up and says, "Which floor?"

"Tenth!" she screams. "In the back!"

He rips off his coat and goes running in. Five minutes later, he's back, coughing, choking, and handing the woman the baby.

She looks at the man with a frown and sniffs, "He had a hat."

That's life for LeBron James.

Anything short of an NBA title makes James a useless wad of pre-chewed pork gristle in your eyes. Whatever he does -- three MVPs in nine seasons -- it's never enough.

You hate him -- still! -- for the way he botched the announcement of his free-agent move from Cleveland to Miami.

Forget that hundreds of people move from Cleveland to Miami every year.

Forget that dozens of NBA players change teams every year.

It was only one mistake. Has he showed up in any police reports since? Has he cheated on his fianc

AlphaWolf24
06-06-2012, 03:00 PM
stopped reading at 10th floor....

more believable if she said 3rd...

next

The Iron Fist
06-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Hey RR, duck his sick already.

Did you forget, that he promised a title to cleveland?
That he asked us to WITNESS greatness?
That he is the CHOSEN ONE?
That be said winning eight titles was going to be easy?

Did you forget all that?

Did you forget Kobe and Magic have a fistful of jewels?

Phong
06-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Has he gotten his coach fired?Really? :roll:

Sounds like a butthurt LeBron fan who's so adamant on protecting LeBron that he can't even think straight.

Derka
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Someone should remind this twit that no one goes to the American Airlines Arena because Lebron James is a nice guy who doesn't cheat on his fiancee and doesn't show up on police reports.

Funny how the shameless prick won't allow people to comment on his wordy Chris Crockerish sticky blowjob of an article.

bmulls
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey RR, duck his sick already.

Did you forget, that he promised a title to cleveland?
That he asked us to WITNESS greatness?
That he is the CHOSEN ONE?
That be said winning eight titles was going to be easy?

Did you forget all that?

Did you forget Kobe and Magic have a fistful of jewels?

Hey dumbshit, did you even read the article? That was his point. He puts his foot in his mouth. That's the biggest shortcoming you can come up with.

Kobe raped a girl.
Tiger cheated on his wife.
MJ was a legendary asshole.

And somehow Lebron is 10x worse than all of them combined?

You haters :roll:

gengiskhan
06-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Has lebron raped a girl at colorado hotel yet.

Has lebron had sexual assault charge on him yet.

Had lebron been premadonna demanding Riley to step down & coach MIA yet.

NO!

no need for extreme hate. He is just a nice guy. Takes what he gets & makes a best out of it.

season MVP with different team is a testament to that.

GOBB
06-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree with what is said. Of course haters gonna hate. (reads above posts)

The Iron Fist
06-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Hey dumbshit, did you even read the article? That was his point. He puts his foot in his mouth. That's the biggest shortcoming you can come up with.

Kobe raped a girl.

I dont watch for their personal life. I watch to see what happens on the court. Perhaps you didnt get the point but people are tired of being fed about how great he is and how he will win multiple titles.

Heavincent
06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Meh, sounds like a butthurt Lebron homer.

Sarcastic
06-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Has lebron raped a girl at colorado hotel yet.

Has lebron had sexual assault charge on him yet.

Had lebron been premadonna demanding Riley to step down & coach MIA yet.

NO!

no need for extreme hate. He is just a nice guy. Takes what he gets & makes a best out of it.

season MVP with different team is a testament to that.

He screwed over the woman who made him a cake for his birthday, because it wasn't up to his standards.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/03/2571940/lebron-james-people-reject-bakers.html

Hammertime
06-06-2012, 03:31 PM

That IS the biggest shortcoming for a person. People dislike all kinds of qualities in others, but they hate hypocrites more than anything else. Walk the walk and talk the talk, that's all they really want.

Jordan was an asshole. He wanted to be one and never claimed otherwise.

bmulls
06-06-2012, 03:35 PM
That IS the biggest shortcoming for a person. People dislike all kinds of qualities in others, but they hate hypocrites more than anything else. Walk the walk and talk the talk, that's all they really want.

Jordan was an asshole. He wanted to be one and never claimed otherwise.

ISH, where promising to win basketball games and failing is worse than rape.

ronniec
06-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Is this Rick Reiley really from ESPN, or he is just another butt hurt Lebron stan? Why the hell he brought up so many irrevelant examples??

When you call yourself a "King"; when you had no shame to dance at the sideline; when you had guts to make your Miami move a big deal, bringing your "talent" to the South beach, and promising multiple rings but yet delivered one. You are giving people and yourself high expectations and expectations that have to be met.

Dare you compare Lebron to Magic, one of the greatest. Magic was not a closer, but he won his first ring in his first year (or 2nd?), replacing Kareem as the center, and led his Lakers team to 5 championships.

Dare you brought up Tiger Woods and Kobe also. Tiger and Kobe meant business, wins, champions, rings... They might have done something wrong outside their jobs, but they delivered when coming down to BUSINESS, when the games matter. May be Lebron is the the nicest guy on the earth when not playing basketball, but that does not mean he is the best basketball player that NBA/ESPN/Nike/Lebron Stans think.

ESPN should fire this guy.

GOBB
06-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I dont watch for their personal life. I watch to see what happens on the court. Perhaps you didnt get the point but people are tired of being fed about how great he is and how he will win multiple titles.

Tattoos are personal things. Yet you dont watch for that, just performance on court. Nike started the whole "We are witnesses" campaign. No different than many campaigns started by endorsers. But you dont complain about that. He promised to win a title in Cleveland and didnt. You're suing him. But Kobe demanded a trade from L.A and said he doesnt think they can win there. You say nothing. Bron never said winning 8 was easy. But I wont defend that comment too much because its hilarious to throw back in his face not 1, not 2 not 3...

So ummm yeah you only care for what happens on the court. :rolleyes:

KenneBell
06-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Nope. He's getting about what he deserves. Had he won last year and won this year he'd be getting the same in praise.

"To the victor go the spoils"

In the long run, no one cares about what you do off court, or what kind of role model you are to their children...do you win or not? Bottom line. Jordan, Kobe, Kareem...all assholes. Would I dare omit them from my team or question their will to win? Never.

General
06-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Do you really think Kobe raped that girl, or are you just trolling?

Derka
06-06-2012, 03:39 PM

And comments like this fail to really drive home a relevant point, same as this article.

ESPN should fire this guy.

100% agreed.

The Iron Fist
06-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Who raped someone?

GOBB
Nope. He's getting about what he deserves. Had he won last year and won this year he'd be getting the same in praise.

Easy for you to type that but who knows how people react. They could very well give the praise/attention elsewhere like Wade "he's the closer, its his team" along with "Bron needed to join hands to win rings, never did it on his own". So while I claim I dont know how things would actually be had he won 2 rings? Lets not ignore the possibility that he would have still be criticized. Much like he was for even taking his talents to South Beach and how it affects his "legacy".

DJ Leon Smith
"Punched a walking stick"

You're quoting a story where the writer couldn't even work out fact from fiction.

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2012/06/05/does-rick-reilly-think-a-tbj-joke-really-happened/

Congratulations!

THE INSIDEHOOPS FORUMS EVERYBODY! WHERE RETARDS COME TO CELEBRATE EACH OTHER.

I<3NBA
06-06-2012, 03:42 PM
i really laughed at the part where he said Jordan and Kobe are admired for basically being jerks. "omgzors they are so passionate, they will their teams to wins with their jerkness! fap, fap, fap!" while Lebron is crucified for being the ultimate team guy.

just shows you a reflection of our society. really fkd up.

HorryIsMyMVP
06-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Who raped someone?
Delonte West raped Lebron's mom.
haha nah she loved it

Hammertime
06-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Except that Kobe was never convicted of rape, but whatever. Who needs courts, lets just lynch people.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
"Punched a walking stick"

You're quoting a story where the writer couldn't even work out fact from fiction.

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2012/06/05/does-rick-reilly-think-a-tbj-joke-really-happened/

Congratulations!

THE INSIDEHOOPS FORUMS EVERYBODY! WHERE RETARDS COME TO CELEBRATE EACH OTHER.

Take a xanax, kiddo. :oldlol:

Mr Know It All
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I agree that the Lebron hate it out of control, but Rick Reilly is a god awful writer.

Honestly reading his stuff makes my head hurt its so bad. Not to mention he is devoid of any sense of humor. Rick Reilly is the very definition of bottom of the barrel lowest common denominator appeal. Guy is a hack writer.

PleezeBelieve
06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
"Not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6..."

People still defending this quitter after this comment?

Nash
06-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Everything Lebron does is 10 times more exaggerated. Its a pity, people are so cynical.

GOBB
06-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I agree that the Lebron hate it out of control, but Rick Reilly is a god awful writer.

Honestly reading his stuff makes my head hurt its so bad. Not to mention he is devoid of any sense of humor. Rick Reilly is the very definition of bottom of the barrel lowest common denominator appeal. Guy is a hack writer.

Yeah I couldnt stand his SI pieces.

Nash
06-06-2012, 03:54 PM
"Not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6..."

People still defending this quitter after this comment?
"Kyrie Irving will be a bust"

Should we hate on you for that comment?

hawke812
06-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Lebron is meh. I really don't like his game. It is boring, no footwork or shot. Not a lot of moves. I just find it humorous when he fails.

I hate Dwayne Wade tho. He a whiney bitch.

Nick Young
06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
He's a 6-foot-8 pixie
Only truthful part of the article

Nick Young
06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
He screwed over the woman who made him a cake for his birthday, because it wasn't up to his standards.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/03/2571940/lebron-james-people-reject-bakers.html
Im actually on Lebron's side with this one, Lebron offered that bakery alot of money and the cake they delivered looked like one of those crappy ones u buy at target. Also, it wasn't a contract or anything.

It's the woman's fault for baking such a shitty cake, the pressure was on and she choked.

RedBlackAttack
06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Reilly is such a hack. The guy doesn't even know much about sports. He is one of ESPN's many 'celebrity' columnists whose ego is even bigger than the guys he is writing about.

I didn't even need to read this article to know exactly how he would spin it.

RagingBull33
06-06-2012, 04:10 PM
It's the woman's fault for baking such a shitty cake, the pressure was on and she choked.
According to that logic, LeBron should never get a paycheck.

Sarcastic
06-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Im actually on Lebron's side with this one, Lebron offered that bakery alot of money and the cake they delivered looked like one of those crappy ones u buy at target. Also, it wasn't a contract or anything.

He wipes his ass with $3,000. She is a small business owner, who I am sure $3,000 means something to. Don't use the cake at the party, but at least pay her for the time and effort.

blablabla
06-06-2012, 04:13 PM
i don't think anyone really hates lebrons personality off the court at least i don't, sure he says some douchey things everybody does but he also very active in charity he seems nice he's friends with almost everybody in the nba
he is not some kind of bully or villian
but he doesn't play with passion, i don't see that competitive fire in him every legend seems to have
when mj stepped on the court he wanted to destroy the opposing team
same with rondo who plays with broken elbows, sore ankles and still jumps for every fvcking loose ball even if he can't get it
and lebron is out there playing great, but with a lack of effort, he promises things but doesn't give it all to keep those promises

ronniec
06-06-2012, 04:14 PM
According to that logic, LeBron should never get a paycheck.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Nick Young
06-06-2012, 04:30 PM
He wipes his ass with $3,000. She is a small business owner, who I am sure $3,000 means something to. Don't use the cake at the party, but at least pay her for the time and effort.
http://www.bakemeawish.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Hickman_Lebron.jpg
It doesnt matter if I'm a billionairre, 3k$ is alot of money and that gaudy pile of shit is worth $100 AT BEST.

Just because she is a small business owned doesnt mean she deserves rewards for designing ugly cakes and expecting high amounts of money for it.

DOesn't matter that she worked all weekend on it and called in chefs to work overtime on it, all that means is they wasted alot of man hours and time producing mediocre garbage.

hitmanyr2k
06-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Like clockwork. It seems this kind of apologist article comes up every year for Lebron. Are any of these articles asking where Lebron's newfound post game went or why he isn't even trying to use it when it matters? Is there an article asking why Lebron is going 6-7 minutes without a shot in the 4th qtr of a pivotal Game 5 when he's supposed to be the best offensive option on the floor?

But I think the reason you hate LeBron James the most is that he just doesn't seem to suffer his failures as much as you'd like him to. You want him to brood like Kobe after losses, glare like Jordan when things don't go his way, scream at teammates like Tom Brady when they're behind.

This kind of crap writing has nothing to do with Lebron's game. I don't care about the guy's personality. He's made his mistakes just like everyone else. I care about his potential and what he brings to the court. I can't stand seeing Lebron do the same shit year after year instead of legitimately adding to his game to get past his shortcomings. After last year of doing this deferring crap and his disappearing in the Finals I thought that would truly be enough to finally motivate him to seriously refine his game and add some much needed offensive diversity and skill to his repetoire so he wouldn't have to pass the ball off and go sit in a corner when the game slows down. Dumbasses at ESPN and people on this board made articles and threads that oooohed and ahhhhed over the pretty numbers..."Lebron has cut down on the threes!!", "Lebron is having a historic efficient statistical season", "Oh my God look at his PER" :oldlol:

I watched how the guy got his numbers all year and I knew when push came to shove in the later playoff rounds those efficient regular season numbers from dunks and layups weren't going to mean shit. Eventually the game is going to slow down and get tight and he's going to have to have something to go to that he's confident in where he can make definitive moves and counters. Otherwise, it's back to dumping the ball off to Wade and off to the corner for him. I said this 6 months ago and it's holding true to this day. It's apparent he's worked on nothing in the offseason to prepare for these kind of moments in the playoffs. And as I suspected instead of working on that post game and using it more and more as the year went on it faded and got worse. Instead of cutting back on the dumb three point attempts he started taking more and more. Basically he reverted back to the same player he was last year. No growth skill-wise. No growth mentally. I wouldn't mind if he proves me wrong but yeah, I doubt it. He is what he is.

LBJ 23
06-06-2012, 04:36 PM

The decision, promising 8 rings, not leaving Cleveland until he wins a ring there...... all happened on the court right?

And you surely as hell did not critize him for any of the things mentioned because you ''watch what happens on the court''.

Phong
06-06-2012, 04:36 PM
But I think the reason you hate LeBron James the most is that he just doesn't seem to suffer his failures as much as you'd like him to. You want him to brood like Kobe after losses, glare like Jordan when things don't go his way, scream at teammates like Tom Brady when they're behind.Jordan, Kobe and Brady. They all have something in common. Something LeBron doesn't have.

OhNoTimNoSho
06-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Kobe raped a girl.

Those bastards WON. Thats the difference. Thats the society we live in. Get your namby pamby ass out of here.

Simple Jack
06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Why do people still bring up the "not 1, not 2..." comment? Do you want your star player to believe they can't win multiple titles?

Dude didn't guarantee shit. He said, with their current roster (the Big 3), he believed they could win multiple titles. I want my best player to have that belief in his team and himself.

Derka
06-06-2012, 04:41 PM
The decision, promising 8 rings, not leaving Cleveland until he wins a ring there...... all happened on the court right?

And you surely as hell did not critize him for any of the things mentioned because you ''watch what happens on the court''.

Are you serious with this shit?

Bladers
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
The ESPN apologists are coming out already and they heat haven't even officially lost the series.

SMH. Can they be anymore obvious? :facepalm

Derka
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Why do people still bring up the "not 1, not 2..." comment? Do you want your star player to believe they can't win multiple titles?

Dude didn't guarantee shit. He said, with their current roster (the Big 3), he believed they could win multiple titles. I want my best player to have that belief in his team and himself.

Oh dear Christ in heaven, as I live and breathe...the spin cycle in full effect.

Nick Young
06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Jordan, Kobe and Brady. They all have something in common. Something LeBron doesn't have.
:lol :lol :lol

Forreal, Lebron's PR team must have paid to have this article written

Darius
06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree with what is said. Of course haters gonna hate. (reads above posts)

Agreed as well.

No idea why people hate on LBJ. He is a great player.

Was the way he left Cleveland in bad taste? Yeah.

Has he made some overly optimistic statements? Yeah.

But nothing to deserve all the hate he gets... bunch of insecure dudes behind their computer screen trying to tear people down all the time... SMH

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Like clockwork. It seems this kind of apologist article comes up every year for Lebron. Are any of these articles asking where Lebron's newfound post game went or why he isn't even trying to use it when it matters? Is there an article asking why Lebron is going 6-7 minutes without a shot in the 4th qtr of a pivotal Game 5 when he's supposed to be the best offensive option on the floor?

This kind of crap writing has nothing to do with Lebron's game. I don't care about the guy's personality. He's made his mistakes just like everyone else. I care about his potential and what he brings to the court. I can't stand seeing Lebron do the same shit year after year instead of legitimately adding to his game to get past his shortcomings. After last year of doing this deferring crap and his disappearing in the Finals I thought that would truly be enough to finally motivate him to seriously refine his game and add some much needed offensive diversity and skill to his repetoire so he wouldn't have to pass the ball off and go sit in a corner when the game slows down. Dumbasses at ESPN and people on this board made articles and threads that oooohed and ahhhhed over the pretty numbers..."Lebron has cut down on the threes!!", "Lebron is having a historic efficient statistical season", "Oh my God look at his PER" :oldlol:

I watched how the guy got his numbers all year and I knew when push came to shove in the later playoff rounds those efficient regular season numbers from dunks and layups weren't going to mean shit. Eventually the game is going to slow down and get tight and he's going to have to have something to go to that he's confident in where he can make definitive moves and counters. Otherwise, it's back to dumping the ball off to Wade and off to the corner for him. I said this 6 months ago and it's holding true to this day. It's apparent he's worked on nothing in the offseason to prepare for these kind of moments in the playoffs. And as I suspected instead of working on that post game and using it more and more as the year went on it faded and got worse. Instead of cutting back on the dumb three point attempts he started taking more and more. Basically he reverted back to the same player he was last year. No growth skill-wise. No growth mentally. I wouldn't mind if he proves me wrong but yeah, I doubt it. He is what he is.

Good post, AJ. You hit the nail on the head. As for the bold - I posted something similar, just not as drawn out.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7401990&postcount=177

Going the last 8 minutes without a basket (not counting the layup when the game had already been won by Boston) is unacceptable for a player of his caliber. 3 time MVP and dude folds like a lawn chair time and time again.

cteach111
06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Jordan, Kobe and Brady. They all have something in common. Something LeBron doesn't have.

yah, great coaching

The Iron Fist
06-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Those are basketball related. Family or personal life isnt.
Try again.

Phong
06-06-2012, 04:56 PM
yah, great coachingAfter 9 years in the league and many more playing basketball you would expect LeBron to know that when the game is on the line, standing at the 3 point line and doing nothing will not get the job done. Does he need a coach to tell him to move his ass?

Brandon Roy
LeBron is quite obviously a flawed person, but I think the hate for him is excessive. He is in a place right now, where if he does anything (wrong OR right), he is criticized.

I think his biggest problem is that he hasn't played like himself for years. Instead of trying to replicate Michael Jordan's game, he should play like a juiced up Magic Johnson. It fits his personality and game mentality better. Wade should play like Mike and Bron should play like Magic.

The Iron Fist

He said it was going to be easy. Thats a guarantee.

cteach111
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
After 9 years in the league and many more playing basketball you would expect LeBron to know that when the game is on the line, standing at the 3 point line and doing nothing will not get the job done. Does he need a coach to tell him to move his ass?

yeah maybe. James tends not a shoot when the game is on the line. Jordan tends to shoot a lot when the game is on the line. Phil made Jordan trust his teammates down the stretch.

Maybe Phil instills confidence in James to shoot the ball down the stretch. It's the same situation to me, different circumstances :confusedshrug:

Punpun
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't get it. I TRULY don't get it. How could you want a guy who is by your own words "a 27 years old kid" to be a role model ?

Seriously ?

HOW COULD YOU WISH YOUR CHILDRENS TO BE LIKE THAT ?

ps : Kobe, Jordan, KAJ and lot of other stars were and are liked by their team-mates.

The Iron Fist
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Agreed as well.

No idea why people hate on LBJ. He is a great player.

Was the way he left Cleveland in bad taste? Yeah.

Has he made some overly optimistic statements? Yeah.

But nothing to deserve all the hate he gets... bunch of insecure dudes behind their computer screen trying to tear people down all the time... SMH
Saying hes great is exactly why people dont like him. Because people like you keep trying to tell us he is when the eye test says otherwise.

Punpun
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Seriously, can people enligthen me ? How the **** is that guy analysis not garbage ?

Simple Jack
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
He said it was going to be easy. Thats a guarantee.

That's taken out of context too. And he didn't say it was going to be easy in regards to him winning multiple championships.

People will find any reason to hate...

Phong
06-06-2012, 05:01 PM
That's taken out of context too. And he didn't say it was going to be easy in regards to him winning multiple championships.

People will find any reason to hate...He said when the game starts it's gonna be easy. Right now they're playing games. Is it easy?

Simple Jack
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Saying hes great is exactly why people dont like him. Because people like you keep trying to tell us he is when the eye test says otherwise.

:roll: :roll:

Now LeBron isn't great? He's an average player? If he's not great, 99% of players to ever play the game aren't either. The attitude that he's some scrub with sub-par skills is the problem; not the people who insist LeBron is a great player.

Punpun
Guys, I want an answer. I'm in a state of shock right now.

Sarcastic

He said Pat Riley could come out of retirement and play PG.

Dan Lebatard said they would have "Run The Point For The Night" for the fans in Miami to get attendance up.

The Iron Fist

"Once the games start, its gonna be easy"

Nothing taken out of context.

The Iron Fist
06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
:roll: :roll:

Now LeBron isn't great? He's an average player? If he's not great, 99% of players to ever play the game aren't either. The attitude that he's some scrub with sub-par skills is the problem; not the people who insist LeBron is a great player.
Hes not great. Hes very good, for 40 minutes. If the game is close at that point, he dissappears.great players , keep trying.

Heavincent
06-06-2012, 05:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BqUBYaHlM

There is absolutely nothing you can say to defend that. Inexcusable. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought it was a championship celebration :oldlol: The hate was 100% warranted for that.

triangleoffense
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Rick Reilly has always been well spoken (and in this case, well written), and I respect him immensely. But the reality of it is that Lebron has come up extremely short, acted like he won before he actually won anything, and yes, his "intestinal fortitude" as some ESPN pundits have stated is severely lacking at times.

Reilly is/was also undoubtedly a vehement Lebron support and benefited greatly from that public support, thus I see this article as just a well written "i'm going to stand behind my guy no matter what" type of piece.

longtime lurker
06-06-2012, 05:18 PM
LOL you know things are bad when you have to talk about a guy's personal life to try and defend his basketball life. How dare basketball fans actually expect the Miami Heat to live up to the lofty standards they set when the big 3 teamed up.

Simple Jack
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
LOL you know things are bad when you have to talk about a guy's personal life to try and defend his basketball life. How dare basketball fans actually expect the Miami Heat to live up to the lofty standards they set when the big 3 teamed up.

Key words: Big 3.

ronniec
06-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Rick Reilly has always been well spoken (and in this case, well written), and I respect him immensely. But the reality of it is that Lebron has come up extremely short, acted like he won before he actually won anything, and yes, his "intestinal fortitude" as some ESPN pundits have stated is severely lacking at times.

Reilly is/was also undoubtedly a vehement Lebron support and benefited greatly from that public support, thus I see this article as just a well written "i'm going to stand behind my guy no matter what" type of piece.

Nothing wrong to support your favorite player(s), but it is stupid to bring out other's personal lives to defend his favorite basketball player's basketball career.
Tiger Woods, Magic, Bird, Jordan, are all in another universe which Lebron not getting there (yet).

longtime lurker
06-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Key words: Big 3.

Is Lebron not part of the big 3? You could have fooled me but I thought he is the teams best player and reigning league MVP. He should give his trophies back if people shouldn't hold him to those standards.

ShadowXX
06-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Isn't the metaphorical baby in this case the championship? Shouldn't it be more like Lebron went up to the tenth floor and saved the hat instead of the baby?

Phong
06-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Isn't the metaphorical baby in this case the championship? Shouldn't it be more like Lebron went up to the tenth floor and saved the hat instead of the baby?It would be more like going up the floors with Wade and Bosh, reaching the 9th floor, choking on the smoke and forcing Wade and Bosh to carry his ass out of the building leaving the baby behind.

Simple Jack
06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Is Lebron not part of the big 3? You could have fooled me but I thought he is the teams best player and reigning league MVP. He should give his trophies back if people shouldn't hold him to those standards.

You missed the point. One of the big 3 is injured and missed nearly 2 series' now. You can't have the same expectations for them when one of them isn't even healthy or playing.

ace23
06-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Isn't the metaphorical baby in this case the championship? Shouldn't it be more like Lebron went up to the tenth floor and saved the hat instead of the baby?
This. The title is the most important thing.

I definitely see where the guy is coming from, though, and he makes some good points.

Derka
06-06-2012, 09:00 PM
You missed the point. One of the big 3 is injured and missed nearly 2 series' now. You can't have the same expectations for them when one of them isn't even healthy or playing.

That's not how it works. They don't get to have it both ways. This is *still* a title contender without Bosh, as Heatstans were very quick to point to everybody in shouting range when they were manhandling the Pacers in three straight games with Lebron and Wade scoring 65-70 a night. Those same people were saying Bosh was actually a friggin' trade piece this offseason. Those same people are singing a completely different tune now, screaming up and down about how essential Bosh is to this franchise. Its ludicrous. These guys are pros and the expectation is to go out there and win.

knightfall88
06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
So to summarise the story, Lebron James is a perfect human being except he's just crap at basketball.

I'd rather take a jerk who will just win.

Phong
06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
So Bosh, who has been constantly been mocked for being part of the Big 2.5 or Two And A Half Men show, is now suddenly holding the fate of the Heat in his hands?

:facepalm

Simple Jack
06-06-2012, 09:13 PM
That's not how it works. They don't get to have it both ways. This is *still* a title contender without Bosh, as Heatstans were very quick to point to everybody in shouting range when they were manhandling the Pacers in three straight games with Lebron and Wade scoring 65-70 a night. Those same people were saying Bosh was actually a friggin' trade piece this offseason. Those same people are singing a completely different tune now, screaming up and down about how essential Bosh is to this franchise. Its ludicrous. These guys are pros and the expectation is to go out there and win.

They are a title contender without Bosh, but aren't the favorites; nor is it championship or bust. You can't take away the third best player, who happens to be their only competent big-man, and still maintain the same expectations. Basketball doesn't work like that.

Who cares what people were saying? People were saying Bron was a side-kick to Wade and that Wade was the best SG in the league. Doesn't make it true.

longtime lurker
06-06-2012, 09:14 PM

Of course you can when the big 3 without Bosh is still the favoured team in the series. No one is going to feel sorry for the Heat when they still have a more than capable team.

Nick Young
06-06-2012, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0WvEM9Cz8

Does Reilly defend Lebron for doing song and dance numbers a month after being swept, and then joking about it in the lyrics while saying he doesn't mind that much because he has so many endorsements and is spreading his brand?

Is it admirable for Lebron to spend his time learning song and dance routines instead of working on improving his game?

Phong
06-06-2012, 09:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0WvEM9Cz8

Does Reilly defend Lebron for doing song and dance numbers a month after being swept, and then joking about it in the lyrics while saying he doesn't mind that much because he has so many endorsements and is spreading his brand?

Is it admirable for Lebron to spend his time learning song and dance routines instead of working on improving his game?And you know what he was doing the day after being humiliated by the Mavericks? Partying in the Bahamas (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/06/lebron-takes-his-talents-to-the-bahamas-after-finals-loss/) like he had just won the title... but 6 months later here's what he said on ESPN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIxWqMQduM0#t=00m50s Such a phony guy!

MontaEllis24
06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I kinda see like the man proclaims to everyone that he will surely save the baby, tries cant break through, so he gets an extinguisher and an axe. Gets 4 feet near the baby then saves the dog, the cat, and the woman's jewelry box.

Nick Young
06-06-2012, 09:40 PM
And you know what he was doing the day after being humiliated by the Mavericks? Partying in the Bahamas (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/06/lebron-takes-his-talents-to-the-bahamas-after-finals-loss/) like he had just won the title... but 6 months later here's what he said on ESPN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIxWqMQduM0#t=00m50s Such a phony guy!
what a scumbag-blatantly lying on national TV with a smile on his face:facepalm

Still his bozo fans will defend that:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Dolphin
06-06-2012, 10:09 PM
The point that the anti-Lebron faction seems to avoid is this:

Yes, you can throw out what he does off the court and only focus on what he does on it, and treat him as such.....but what worries me about some of you is that you view him in a way that should in fact only be reserved for those who rape, murder, cheat, etc. off the court. That is the ultimate point that I would provide.

I think at times sports fans allow themselves to enter this alternate reality where they feel it's normal to view someone like a criminal for playing a GAME a certain way. Sports fans can lose their grounding very easily when they get emotional.

So ya, if you're saying "We aren't even worrying about what he does off the court, he promised this and that, and isn't delivering on the court" why are you treating him with the same vilification that you direct at people such as Jerry Sandusky? :roll:

As a human being it worries me...but I wonder if political advisors look at a phenomena such as this to study how easy it is to warp the reality of someone. Would be an interesting case study.

And to those who come here and bitch about him constantly and then say "I don't actually get that upset. I know it's just a game." Ya, when Lebron fails and you feel like you just blew a load inside a supermodel and run to your computer so you can talk to other kids about it on ISH.........again....alternate universe. lol

The Iron Fist
06-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Yes, you can throw out what he does off the court and only focus on what he does on it, and treat him as such.....but what worries me about some of you is that you view him in a way that should in fact only be reserved for those who rape, murder, cheat, etc. off the court. That is the ultimate point that I would provide.

I think at times sports fans allow themselves to enter this alternate reality where they feel it's normal to view someone like a criminal for playing a GAME a certain way. Sports fans can lose their grounding very easily when they get emotional.

So ya, if you're saying "We aren't even worrying about what he does off the court, he promised this and that, and isn't delivering on the court" why are you treating him with the same vilification that you direct at people such as Jerry Sandusky? :roll:

As a human being it worries me...but I wonder if political advisors look at a phenomena such as this to study how easy it is to warp the reality of someone. Would be an interesting case study.

And to those who come here and bitch about him constantly and then say "I don't actually get that upset. I know it's just a game." Ya, when Lebron fails and you feel like you just blew a load inside a supermodel and run to your computer so you can talk to other kids about it on ISH.........again....alternate universe. lol
:biggums:

Derka
06-06-2012, 10:26 PM

I think you're drastically overexaggerating both sides of the equation with this.

Lebron gets exactly what he deserves...no more, no less. He has plenty of people who support him and defend him to the end and plenty more who like nothing more than seeing him fall flat when his mouth writes checks his ass can't cash. And then there's that group of irrational internet loons on both sides that comes with any two-sided issue that has ever been had between human beings. Most of us know to just tune those folks out completely.

And shame on you for bringing Jerry Sandusky into this. Lebron doesn't experience that level of derision on the worst of his days around these parts, and Lebron certainly wouldn't deserve it if he did. No one's saying Lebron should be thrown in a hole and forgotten about for not coming through in the fourth quarter repeatedly. What a shameful analogy to try and make.

gilalizard
06-06-2012, 10:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8011587/lebron-being-lebron

Pretty decent article. Does Lebron catch too much flak for being what he isn't? :confusedshrug:

So being one of the most, if not THE most, gifted player ever in the game, and...

settling for multiple regular season MVPs and no championships (while on one of the most stacked teams in history, relative to era)...

is something to admire...

Got it.