PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier on LeBron James...

stallionaire
06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
He sneezes and it's a trending topic on Twitter. He is a fascinating study because he's really the first and most seminal sports figure in the information age, where everything he does is reported and dissected and second-guessed many times over and he handles everything with an amazing grace and patience that I don't know if other superstars from other areas would have been able to handle.

I completely agree with LeBron's ability to handle all this attention he's recieved since before entering the league.

How would you handle it? I think I would've gone crazy or Allen Iverson'd my career already at this point if i were him... Just fade out due to issues with those around me.

RaininTwos
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I'd be the biggest d*ck of all time. I would be the biggest villain in NBA history.

I would be the Darth Vader of the NBA, people would try to kill me out there lol. I just don't care about public perception as much as he does obviously.

Phong
06-07-2012, 12:42 PM
he handles everything with an amazing grace and patienceMocking Dirk's sickness, telling people he's rich and they're not, lying on national tv.. amazing grace and patience? :facepalm

The Iron Fist
06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Mocking Dirk's sickness, telling people he's rich and they're not, lying on national tv.. amazing grace and patience? :facepalm
Lebrons a cancer. Hes turned "good guys" like Wade and Shane into bumbling idiots.

stallionaire
06-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Mocking Dirk's sickness, telling people he's rich and they're not, lying on national tv.. amazing grace and patience? :facepalm

He never did that. He was just telling the LBJ haters who are consumed with their hatred for him that life goes on. You and everyone misinterpreted it for no reason. :lol

RaininTwos
06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
BRB expecting people to be perfect.

Even Jesus over turned the tables when they were gambling at the church.

TheBluest
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Dancing on the sideline only when his team's are winning

Elbow Gating a playoff series

Having teams come visit him during Free Agency like he was from some line of royalty

Saying he could go back to Cleveland and play when he hadn't had any in depth discussion with the current owner since the split

Saying the league should contract small market teams during a very sensitive time of economic NBA negotiations

Bulldozing his coach over during a game

Referring to his mgmt group as a TEAM while distancing himself from the real TEAM he was playing for at the time

There's nothing graceful about any of this:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TheBluest
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Are you saying that was an act of imperfection? Or are you being facetious? If not what did Jesus say as he was turning the tables over and driving them out?

RaininTwos
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Having teams come visit him during Free Agency like he was from some line of royalty

Saying he could go back to Cleveland and play when he hadn't had any in depth discussion with the current owner since the split

Saying the league should contract small market teams during a very sensitive time of economic NBA negotiations

Referring to his mgmt group as a TEAM while distancing himself from the real TEAM he was playing for at the time

There's nothing graceful about any of this:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:biggums:

pure jokes:roll:

stallionaire
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM

:facepalm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

RaininTwos
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Are you saying that was an act of imperfection? Or are you being facetious? If not what did Jesus say as he was turning the tables over and driving them out?

Are you saying that when someone is described as graceful and patient, they have to exhibit those qualities all of the time?

Being absurd is fun.

Derka
06-07-2012, 12:59 PM
I think he handles it with such patience and grace because its more or less calculated behavior on his part. Its absurdist behavior at its finest and he does it intentionally.

Of the many things Lebron is, an idiot is not one of them.

AlphaWolf24
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Lebron James on playing basketball with the Heat after leaving Cleveland...

It's gonna be easy..

not 1 ...not 2....not 3....not 4....not 5....not 6....not 7...

lakers_forever
06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-f0qfABiNJEY/TY0G-DW3C-I/AAAAAAAACHo/cxXTWF_GbTc/LeBron.gif

Such grace...

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
06-07-2012, 01:54 PM
tell Lebron to Welcome to Kobe's world....

Kobe is so happy with Lebron....taking the focus away from him

Good Job Lebron

WeGetRing2012
06-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I get the feeling that Lebron really thinks everything revolves around him. He puts most of this attention on himself so of course people will have something to say when he doesnt come through. Heat always play the victims when they start losing :facepalm

AlexanderRight
06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-f0qfABiNJEY/TY0G-DW3C-I/AAAAAAAACHo/cxXTWF_GbTc/LeBron.gif

Such grace...

Ohh, that's ****ed up.

LA_Showtime
06-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Such grace...

That video always makes me cry with laughter. I really, really hope LeBron just didn't see that kid.

brahmabull117
06-07-2012, 02:11 PM
He never did that. He was just telling the LBJ haters who are consumed with their hatred for him that life goes on. You and everyone misinterpreted it for no reason. :lol

His exact comments can be paraphrased as "Tomorrow I'm going to wake up in my 10,000+ square foot house while my haters live in their little shacks and drive their hoopties to their 9/5 jobs"

Crown&Coke
06-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Such grace...

thats disgusting, honest

The Iron Fist
06-07-2012, 02:32 PM
That video always makes me cry with laughter. I really, really hope LeBron just didn't see that kid.
He saw the kid. He pulled his hand back when the kid tried to grab the pants.

mans1ay3r
06-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Such grace...
Damn, that's pathetic.

pegasus
06-07-2012, 02:42 PM
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8338241/1024/Picture-Box/Dictator-LBJ-copy.png

:roll:

ihoopallday
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
These players are paid to play basketball. If their personalities effect you, get a life.

AlphaWolf24
06-07-2012, 03:09 PM
every sports / basketball fan should read...this (poster responding to Rick Rielly's article wondering why so many people hate Lebron)

"sports fans are by definition irrational. Fan is short for fanatic. Many of us care more about the success of a group of millionaires who put a ball through a hoop than we do about our own lives. We work overtime shifts in order to get nosebleed seats. We spend our days on message boards talking about athletes. We cry when our team loses. IMHO any fan can "hate" or "love" any player for any reason, and it's no different than you hating on the players you hate or you liking the players that you like.

Secondly, you never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression, and for many, the decision was in a way a first impression of Lebron.

Thirdly, DUCKIII said it best:

"I'll hate them forever. They can't redeem themselves. Exercising free agent rights is fine. The Decision, the tweets, doing what is "best for your family", loyalty, not one not two not three not four not five not six not seven, you'll all go back to your crappy lives tomorrow, I spoil people with my greatness, I just want to chill, don't dive for loose balls near me I might get hurt, is not fine.

**** those guys.

Paul, Howard, DWill gaming the system doesn't sit well with me as an NBA fan, but I don't really hold anything against them for doing it."

@ the OP comparing Lebron to saving a child's life another time because 1 was definitely not enough. In fact, I don't think that two is enough, or three, or four, or five, or six, or seven.

Lebron hasn't done **** for me or anyone else here. If he came to play for my team maybe I could forgive him someday, but in the meantime, he should embrace the hate.

I am a Bulls fan, and I love the fact that Joakim Noah is one of the most hated players in the league. I like how he uses heart, hustle, and muscle to make other players in the NBA refer to him as a pest. I love how he gets booed in Boston, Cleveland, and Miami. I love how the majority of NBA fans hated Rodman when he was on the Bulls. I love how Utah fans are bitter at Michael Jordan for beating them twice, and to this day they try and make ridiculous arguments as to why Jordan wasn't the greatest of all time.

The only way that sports makes sense is that it is good guys vs. bad guys. I have labeled Lebron as a bad guy(not in the literal sense that he's a bad person, but that during a basketball game I embrace my jingoistic insticts and view him as an enemy). Accept it. I hate Lebron and I will always root against him.

Are you upset that Lakers fans hate the Celtics or that Celtics fans hate the Lakers? Are you upset that Bulls fans may hate the Pistons or the Knicks? Hate is a necessary part of sports. Even the mom from the Blind Side hated Tennessee."

KevinNYC
06-07-2012, 03:19 PM

Isn't the point of Free Agency, the fact that you are free? He's just the first free agent to come along in any sport, when every team in the league started trying to get him years ahead of him becoming available.

I.R.Beast
06-07-2012, 03:21 PM

jesus dint exist Lebron does..this aint aesop's fables this is real life...

PickernRoller
06-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I never had anything against Bron, till he choked last year and my boy Wade was left stranded. Now, he needs to prove himself and all the crap its fans spout is just that, crap - what is the goal? championship or bust - the very same way we Laker fans look at our organization. He placed himself in this position, high exceptions, lots of responsibility. Fail? Deal with the consequences, that simple.

KevinNYC
06-07-2012, 03:35 PM
jesus dint exist Lebron does..this aint aesop's fables this is real life...

It's funny when people try to prove they're smart and fail miserably.

There is evidence of a historical Jesus, you can choose to believe he's the Messiah and the Song of God, if you wish, but he existed.

Did you ever hear the story about how Nero fiddled while Rome burned? Lots of folks think Nero caused the fire. The people he blamed for it were the Christians (Remember the Christians and the Lions in Roman days?

2,000 years ago, the Roman historian, Tacitus refers to "Christus" who was crucified by Pontius Pilate.

[QUOTE]"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Jud

KevinNYC
06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Getting back to Lebron.

Battier is

A. Saying these thing about a teammate.
B. Saying this about someone he has played with for one year

That is to say, he's talking about the present. He didn't get to observe the Lebron James of the Decision up close, day in day out. Does anyone think Lebron James hasn't changed since the Decision? I think it's clear that he has (you could argue if the changes are cosmetic or not, but it's obvious that he's different.)

Nash
06-07-2012, 03:40 PM
This thread is basically what Shane Battier is talking about.

If I were Lebron right now I'd probably be in and out of rehab.

Kurosawa0
06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
It's especially amazing when you look at how he was raised. What are the odds a child raised by a sometimes-present, drug addicted single mother ever, who received more attention and praise at 16 than the vast majority of people ever will, would turn out to be a pretty decent guy?

LeBron has said and done some arrogant things, but what star of his magnitude hasn't?

As a human being and a man, LeBron's one of the better role models in the league.

stallionaire
06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd be a headcase if i were critisized like lebron. lord knows i've made mistakes.

triangleoffense
06-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Oh wait you brought "Jesus" into this conversation?

BRB vomiting from BS

jstern
06-07-2012, 03:58 PM

I saw that video, there's no way he saw him. You have to throw many different factors together to really understand. '

1. Lebron is focused on getting back in the game, and NBA players never hand the ball boys their clothes, not because they're disrespectful, but because they just always throw it on the side.
2. A person who would do what some people thing he's doing in that video would also do it at other times. Why would Lebron act like that that one single time?

I really don't feel like going into it, but I pretty much doubt that Lebron was aware of the ball boy reaching for his clothes, due to the fact that it would probably be the last thing on his mind. Also his height, the fact that ball boys usually don't reach for the clothes, and point number 2.

During a thread about that gif I even defended Kobe Bryant on a gif, because sometimes things look different depending on the angle, and most people are not capable of looking at things deeper, and would rather come to a quick conclusion based on the superficial.

CelticBaller
06-07-2012, 04:01 PM

If I were Lebron right now I'd probably be in and out of rehab.
because you're a pvssy

fair weather fan

SpecialQue
06-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I'd be a headcase if i were critisized like lebron. lord knows i've made mistakes.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265283

We know.

KenneBell
06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
I'd be a villain and love every minute of it.

CelticBaller
06-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I'd be a villain and love every minute of it.
like any one would, look at charles :oldlol:

NASH = BEST
06-07-2012, 04:05 PM
He b!tched out on going to New York, and I suspect it was because he was trying to avoid the media frenzy, and criticism that would have came with it.

Derka
06-07-2012, 04:11 PM
He b!tched out on going to New York, and I suspect it was because he was trying to avoid the media frenzy, and criticism that would have came with it.
A fine job he's done avoiding criticism and media frenzies in South Beach, eh?

NASH = BEST
06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
A fine job he's done avoiding criticism and media frenzies in South Beach, eh?

The b!tch didn't expect it, but he created it, all of it, with his circus acts and all. I don't feel bad for the dude at all, after all he sleeps in 10000 sq foot home at night, while I drive my hooptie to work everyday.

The sh!t would have been 10x worse in NY, and he wouldnt have been able to handle it, just like he shribbles up during the 4th quarter of important games.

TheBluest
06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Isn't the point of Free Agency, the fact that you are free? He's just the first free agent to come along in any sport, when every team in the league started trying to get him years ahead of him becoming available.

No he isn't teams were lining up to go after Kobe(Clippers/New York/Chicago/Phx/Dallas/Orlando) all wanted bids in on Kobe when he was free several yrs ago.

Not every team was positioning to go after Lebron. I hope that wasn't STAN talk there

Teams were positioning themselves for the 2010 Frenzy of which he was a part of but it was historically monumental because there were so many big Fish. For crying out loud more than half the league knew they weren't getting Lebron no way no how.

Regardless it showed you what he thought of himself and his team.... and to do that crap in Greenwich Ct. Matter of fact he said he wanted to do something historic but had to have his latcher ons plan everything for him only for him to regret it less than a year later.

Then while he was conducting his own interviews it was mentioned by Wojo he was being incredibly immature and disrespectful as teams were trying to Woo him....

And here's the clincher he did this knowing what his Plan A was all long....

ILLsmak
06-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I completely agree with LeBron's ability to handle all this attention he's recieved since before entering the league.

How would you handle it? I think I would've gone crazy or Allen Iverson'd my career already at this point if i were him... Just fade out due to issues with those around me.

If I was that level of a basketball player, I would keep to myself. I wouldn't have a twitter. I wouldn't be doing commercials. I'd care more about the success on court than off court.

I don't think many basketball players have high-level intelligence, though. I don't think they can see everything in terms of what action will produce what result.

I'd say LeBron is just a really athletic dude with average intelligence and he's just getting dragged along with a lot of stuff outside of the basketball world.

He obviously just wants to fit and be liked.

-Smak

stephanieg
06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Talk about a low hurdle to clear.

greymatter
06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
There's plenty of reasons to hate Lebron that aren't bball related. The guy is a total dick to everyone in the service industry when he's out with his posse at a bar or restaurant. He's a notoriously cheap/horrible tipper.

Heard Tiger Woods is worse.

comerb
06-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I'd be the biggest d*ck of all time. I would be the biggest villain in NBA history.

I would be the Darth Vader of the NBA, people would try to kill me out there lol. I just don't care about public perception as much as he does obviously.

Same, I'd take enjoyment from being hated on.

Glide2keva
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM

Even Jesus over turned the tables when they were gambling at the church.Serapis Christus. Look that up.

Dolphin
06-07-2012, 04:55 PM
There's plenty of reasons to hate Lebron that aren't bball related. The guy is a total dick to everyone in the service industry when he's out with his posse at a bar or restaurant. He's a notoriously cheap/horrible tipper.

Heard Tiger Woods is worse.

You hate him because he's a horrible tipper?

If your friend was a serial under tipper, would you hate him? lol

Derka
06-07-2012, 05:01 PM
You hate him because he's a horrible tipper?

If your friend was a serial under tipper, would you hate him? lol

True story: Larry Bird used to tip waiters/waitresses poorly, then walk into kitchen and tip the cooks pretty well. He figured they did all the skill work and deserved it more.

Just came to mind and I felt like sharing that.

The Iron Fist
06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I saw that video, there's no way he saw him. You have to throw many different factors together to really understand. '

1. Lebron is focused on getting back in the game, and NBA players never hand the ball boys their clothes, not because they're disrespectful, but because they just always throw it on the side.
2. A person who would do what some people thing he's doing in that video would also do it at other times. Why would Lebron act like that that one single time?

I really don't feel like going into it, but I pretty much doubt that Lebron was aware of the ball boy reaching for his clothes, due to the fact that it would probably be the last thing on his mind. Also his height, the fact that ball boys usually don't reach for the clothes, and point number 2.

During a thread about that gif I even defended Kobe Bryant on a gif, because sometimes things look different depending on the angle, and most people are not capable of looking at things deeper, and would rather come to a quick conclusion based on the superficial.foh. He pulled his hand back when tbe kid reached for the pants. Or are you gonna tell me that bron, who many say has great court vision, suddenly went blind?

Duck his sick already.

The Iron Fist
06-07-2012, 05:09 PM
If I was that level of a basketball player, I would keep to myself. I wouldn't have a twitter. I wouldn't be doing commercials. I'd care more about the success on court than off court.

I don't think many basketball players have high-level intelligence, though. I don't think they can see everything in terms of what action will produce what result.

I'd say LeBron is just a really athletic dude with average intelligence and he's just getting dragged along with a lot of stuff outside of the basketball world.

He obviously just wants to fit and be liked.

-Smak
You just described Kobe.

KevinNYC
06-07-2012, 05:10 PM
No he isn't teams were lining up to go after Kobe(Clippers/New York/Chicago/Phx/Dallas/Orlando) all wanted bids in on Kobe when he was free several yrs ago.

Not every team was positioning to go after Lebron. I hope that wasn't STAN talk there

Teams were positioning themselves for the 2010 Frenzy of which he was a part of but it was historically monumental because there were so many big Fish. For crying out loud more than half the league knew they weren't getting Lebron no way no how.

Regardless it showed you what he thought of himself and his team.... and to do that crap in Greenwich Ct. Matter of fact he said he wanted to do something historic but had to have his latcher ons plan everything for him only for him to regret it less than a year later.

Then while he was conducting his own interviews it was mentioned by Wojo he was being incredibly immature and disrespectful as teams were trying to Woo him....

And here's the clincher he did this knowing what his Plan A was all long....

When Kobe became available, I could be wrong on this, but I don't teams were preparing a season or two ahead of time. Perhaps I was exaggerating how many teams had a legitimate shot at him, but every team in the league wanted him and was willing to pay a big price. That's pretty objectively obvious to me and I don't see why that's STAN talk.

Also I don't think there was as much anticipation that Kobe would leave LA, a legendary franchise he had recent success with and Lebron leaving Cleveland.

The decision show was pretty stupid and I never defended it, but ESPN was going to be unbearable about Lebron with or without that show. It's not like the media wasn't going to go into a frenzy if he didn't do that show. Also why was the decision held in Greenwich, CT when ESPN is headquartered in Bristol, CT (http://www.theonion.com/articles/espn-greenlights-the-decision-for-22-more-episodes,17743/)? He was at Boys and Girls Club there and the event and show raised millions for charity.

But he made two giant mistakes. One he didn't understand one of the laws of American celebrity, which is they will puff you up highest right before they tear you down. The second is not realizing that yes, fans across the country were in lather for you to play for their team, but since you could only play for one team, you were going to disappoint more fans that you were going to make happy.

CelticBaller
06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Serapis Christus. Look that up.
i wonder where you got tha christus part form :oldlol: :facepalm

OhNoTimNoSho
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
It's especially amazing when you look at how he was raised. What are the odds a child raised by a sometimes-present, drug addicted single mother ever, who received more attention and praise at 16 than the vast majority of people ever will, would turn out to be a pretty decent guy?

LeBron has said and done some arrogant things, but what star of his magnitude hasn't?

As a human being and a man, LeBron's one of the better role models in the league.
WRONG

LeBron is not a Man and has child's attitude. He lacks character and integrity and embodies everything thats wrong with todays culture. Sure he doesn't do bad stuff, but thats probably because hes a bitch and scared.

The Iron Fist
06-07-2012, 05:23 PM
WRONG

LeBron is not a Man and has child's attitude. He lacks character and integrity and embodies everything thats wrong with todays culture. Sure he doesn't do bad stuff, but thats probably because hes a bitch and scared.
He is the epitome of this "me" generation. Wants all the spoils just because he feels entitled to it.

jstern
06-07-2012, 05:33 PM
foh. He pulled his hand back when tbe kid reached for the pants. Or are you gonna tell me that bron, who many say has great court vision, suddenly went blind?

Duck his sick already.

Obviously you're unable to comprehend my post.

ImmortalNemesis
06-07-2012, 06:41 PM

:oldlol:

I was just about to post this. This thread is basically this:

Shane Battier: "Haters gonna hate"

*LeBron haters proceed to hate*

Idiots. I don't like LeBron but Jesus, get off the man's nuts already.