PDA

View Full Version : BOS Reporter: Kevin Garnett Will Retire

NewYorkNoPicks
06-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Heard this on ESPN radio a few hours ago, couldn't even tell you which show it was tbh because i was only in the car for a few minutes. I'm guessing Ryan Rucco but I could be wrong.

He had a reporter from Boston on the show talking about the BOS/MIA series and said he's heard from sources within the organization that KG will retire at the end of the season.

He also gave some insight regarding Garnett's knees which was previously unknown. Supposedly it takes Boston's medical staff hours to get his knees ready before game time through massage, and other techniques. It's been arduous for KG to get on the floor this season, but he's been playing like a champion despite it all. However, according to the reporter, this is it for the Big Ticket.

TMT
06-09-2012, 12:03 AM
That would be a huge blow to the game of basketball. KG is still an amazing player.

If Duncan can play another year or two, I don't see why KG can't do the same.

IGotACoolStory
06-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Saw it on twitter.

Would surprise me considering how well he's playing. Also that he talked about the whole competition thing in the post game interview after game 5. A guy that is driven like that doesn't retire until he's out of gas.

NewYorkNoPicks
06-09-2012, 12:05 AM
That would be a huge blow to the game of basketball. KG is still an amazing player.

Agreed. Although I hate boston (i do want them to beat miami though), I've been a KG fan forever. Realy enjoy his old school mentality and trademark intensity.

I added more to my first post about KG's knees that the reporter spoke about as well.

inclinerator
06-09-2012, 12:06 AM
thats crazy he's still playing at a very high level

ConanRulesNBC
06-09-2012, 12:09 AM

Some players careers just last longer than others. Duncan, I don't think has had any major injuries. KG has had problems with his knees for a few seasons now. Duncan looks like he can play until he's 40.

I'm happy KG goes out this way though if his knees are really bothering him that much. He'll go out with people remembering him as he is which is still capable of putting up 20/10 games.

I wonder what the Celtics do next season. Does Danny Ainge now trade Pierce and Rondo and completely rebuild? Or does he try and rebuild around Pierce and Rondo?

Saw it on twitter.

Would surprise me considering how well he's playing. Also that he talked about the whole competition thing in the post game interview after game 5. A guy that is driven like that doesn't retire until he's out of gas.

I forgot about his post game comments. This is kind of strange now. He seemed to really be determined to prove people wrong.

KG215
06-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm definitely going to enjoy every second he's on the floor tomorrow night. I go back and forth on he and Durant as my favorite players but, regardless, for a good 10-12 years Kevin Garnett was easily my favorite player in the league.

Rose
06-09-2012, 12:14 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19228247/rumor-celtics-f-kevin-garnett-considering-retirement-after-playoffs

This is the only thing I found.

TMT
06-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Some players careers just last longer than others. Duncan, I don't think has had any major injuries. KG has had problems with his knees for a few seasons now. Duncan looks like he can play until he's 40.

I'm happy KG goes out this way though if his knees are really bothering him that much. He'll go out with people remembering him as he is which is still capable of putting up 20/10 games.

I wonder what the Celtics do next season. Does Danny Ainge now trade Pierce and Rondo and completely rebuild? Or does he try and rebuild around Pierce and Rondo?

I forgot about his post game comments. This is kind of strange now. He seemed to really be determined to prove people wrong.

Duncan has had knee problems as well, pretty much since the last time they won the championship. He has to wear a brace on and off the court. That being said, he did an excellent job in the offseason of losing weight and doing all the right things to stay healthy.

KG still has much more explosiveness and athleticism than Duncan at this point. It would be a shame to see him go.

Velocirap31
06-09-2012, 12:18 AM
I guess I'm supposed to compliment him as a player since he's about to retire. He's a douchebag and I've never liked him. As a player he is great, but he is still an ahole.

ConanRulesNBC
06-09-2012, 12:18 AM
He should re-sign with the Celtics for much cheaper and the Celtics should try and go out and get a big that can play big minutes so Garnett doesn't have to play so much. He can definitely contribute if his minutes are handled right. Doc Rivers does it right now but the Celtics really don't have that much depth so KG has to play a lot. They need to get a legit C and move Bass to the bench and sign Jeff Green and keep Avery Bradley. The Celtics big 3 can definitely compete if they fix up their roster a little bit and add a C and some more depth. They'll have some good depth with Green, Bradley, Daniels, Dooling and Pietrus.

Miserio
06-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Tomorrow is gonna be a very special game for every Boston fan.

TheFan
06-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Tomorrow.. Career vs Hairline.

ConanRulesNBC
06-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Duncan has had knee problems as well, pretty much since the last time they won the championship. He has to wear a brace on and off the court. That being said, he did an excellent job in the offseason of losing weight and doing all the right things to stay healthy.

KG still has much more explosiveness and athleticism than Duncan at this point. It would be a shame to see him go.

But Duncan's game is a little bit different. Duncan is a legit big. KG plays more like a SG/SF so there's a lot more pressure on his knees. I think Duncan's game is much better suited to be able to last longer.

Draz
06-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Boston fans and nba fans better admire tomorrows game.

NewYorkNoPicks
06-09-2012, 12:24 AM
the CBS article a few posts up made the informed speculation that Garnett's idea is to "go out on top". I think most KG fans who have not only watched his play on the court, but have gotten a feel for his personality off the court know he is a pridefull man who would find it unacceptable to go out as a shell of his former self.

If tomorrow is indeed it, I will relish every moment he is on the court. One of the greatest ever :bowdown:

Ketchup
I think Duncan should retire as well. I don't know why, but something as arbitrary as him not averaging 20+/10+ for his career averages would somehow tarnish something for me in his career.
I know how great he was and everything, but it would just seem odd calling him the greatest power forward of all time despite not quite having the stats of other all time greats.

Heavincent
KG plays more like a SG/SF

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/BananaClock/SCB/f067e0dd.gif

tmacattack33
06-09-2012, 12:25 AM

Duncan's game was never about quickness and agility.

And that logic is not right to begin with...like hey, if Juwan Howard is still playing, I don't see why Chris Webber isn't playing either.

ConanRulesNBC
06-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Duncan needs to stay unless he's in pain. This Spurs team should not call it quits yet. They had the best record in the west last season and tied (I think) for best record in the NBA this season. They won 20 games in a row. They just need to add a defensive big to go with Duncan so he's not doing all the defending near the basket by himself. But they have the perfect mix of youth and veterans.

ConanRulesNBC
06-09-2012, 12:27 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/BananaClock/SCB/f067e0dd.gif

He does. KG could play SF easily in his prime. KG's game is more about quickness and explosiveness than a real big like a Duncan or Shaq.

hawkfan
06-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Heard this on ESPN radio a few hours ago, couldn't even tell you which show it was tbh because i was only in the car for a few minutes. I'm guessing Ryan Rucco but I could be wrong.

He had a reporter from Boston on the show talking about the BOS/MIA series and said he's heard from sources within the organization that KG will retire at the end of the season.

He also gave some insight regarding Garnett's knees which was previously unknown. Supposedly it takes Boston's medical staff hours to get his knees ready before game time through massage, and other techniques. It's been arduous for KG to get on the floor this season, but he's been playing like a champion despite it all. However, according to the reporter, this is it for the Big Ticket.

Injuries wise, this is totally believeable.
It just becomes too physically painful to play after so many years.

If he does retire, next stop is having his jersey retired by the Wolves and then the Hall of Fame.

TheFan
He does. KG could play SF easily in his prime.

yeah, he could play SF, but no way "KG plays more like a SG/SF", Garnett moves and plays like a PF.

Derka
I tremble at the thought of what he's going to do to himself and to that team tomorrow night to get a win.

unknowns8
06-09-2012, 12:31 AM
KG is going no where... this is nothing more than a slow news day/media beat-up

ConanRulesNBC
06-09-2012, 12:33 AM
yeah, he could play SF, but no way "KG plays more like a SG/SF", Garnett moves and plays like a PF.

Garnett and Dirk were the first two PF's really who changed the whole style of what everyone thought a big should do.

I'm not saying he doesn't play like PF. But he plays like a SF too.

Carbine
06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
I think Duncan should retire as well. I don't know why, but something as arbitrary as him not averaging 20+/10+ for his career averages would somehow tarnish something for me in his career.
I know how great he was and everything, but it would just seem odd calling him the greatest power forward of all time despite not quite having the stats of other all time greats.

:facepalm

Check out his All-NBA defensive team selections (13)

Check out his All-NBA team selections (12)

Check out his MVP & Finals MVP awards (5 combined)

Check out his championships (4)

That's all the stats you need to concern yourself with.

ConanRulesNBC
06-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Didn't Garnett often play the 3 in all-star games when Dirk and Duncan played the 4 and the 5?

maybeshewill13
06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Still Wear my Timberwolves KG jersey around.. He was my favorite player before Durant. Such a beast and so competitive. You could just see the extreme passion when he got that chip with Boston.. great moment. It will be sad to see him go whenever he decides he's had enough.

GreatHILL
06-09-2012, 12:38 AM
what a bullcrap rumor lol

Miserio
Didn't Garnett often play the 3 in all-star games when Dirk and Duncan played the 4 and the 5?
So... that makes Magic Johnson a Center, right?

LockoutOver11
im old

the kid, mr big ticket...

**** it, duncan, garnett and kidd all retire. screw the nba.

Kingwillball
06-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Even at his Age KG still better than 90% of players in the league. IMo he can still play another year or two at a high Level.

Grey Dawn
06-09-2012, 12:40 AM
I guess I'm supposed to compliment him as a player since he's about to retire. He's a douchebag and I've never liked him. As a player he is great, but he is still an ahole.

Nope, let's leave it at one of the league's top all-time douch bags.

He rewrote the history book on fake tough guy.

ConanRulesNBC
06-09-2012, 12:42 AM
So... that makes Magic Johnson a Center, right?

Not my point. KG's game is different than Duncan's which is why Duncan's career will likely last a couple seasons longer. Duncan didn't play at such a fast paced level his whole career. Duncan's game is suited to last longer like Shaq and Karl Malone.

west_tip
06-09-2012, 12:45 AM

+1

Duncan is one of my favourite players and I hate to see a legend continue to the point where he is a shadow of his former self and not putting up the same sort of numbers that he would do in his prime.

I'd always rather see players retire after they have declined somewhat rather than at the point that they are entirely washed up.

Mr. I'm So Rad
06-09-2012, 12:47 AM
He's just been giving it his all in his last season. That's why he's playing with so much passion and hunger.

LockoutOver11
06-09-2012, 12:48 AM
+1

Duncan is one of my favourite players and I hate to see a legend continue to the point where he is a shadow of his former self and not putting up the same sort of numbers that he would do in his prime.

I'd always rather see players retire after they have declined somewhat rather than at the point that they are entirely washed up.

lmao mcgrady

Ketchup
06-09-2012, 12:53 AM
:facepalm

Check out his All-NBA defensive team selections (13)

Check out his All-NBA team selections (12)

Check out his MVP & Finals MVP awards (5 combined)

Check out his championships (4)

That's all the stats you need to concern yourself with.

I know, I know.

I'd still call him the greatest, and like I said, it's baffling to myself to concern myself with something so arbitrary, but yeah, I want him to finish strong since he is one of my favorite players ever.

NewYorkNoPicks
lmao mcgrady

Yeah it was funny I read an article about him recently and I think the opening line went something like this "Most players need to keep playing to increase their chances of entering the hall of fame, in McGrady's case...he needs to stop"

shady6121
Heat will win tomorrow, but I hope the Celtics put up a good fight for KG. What an incredible career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJb7o8yIvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOy7fRzs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_gL_H9zAY8

hawkfan
06-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Even at his Age KG still better than 90% of players in the league. IMo he can still play another year or two at a high Level.

Talent-wise he definitely can.
Body-wise? Probably not. He is wearing down big time.

G-Funk
06-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Hope this isnt true. A legend,im def gonna watch him till hes out of the playoffs, Minny is really fortunate to have seen bhim battle so many yrs.

Haymaker
06-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Tomorrow.. Career vs Hairline. :oldlol:

Noob Saibot
06-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Just 4 years ago, Garnett was defensive player of the year. Hate to see him go, a real competitor, might be crazy at times with the trash talk, but he was fierce player and determined to win. Watch him go off for 30 and 10 tomorrow night, after seeing LeBron do something epic.

Top 20 player for certain.

cavsfanatic
06-09-2012, 02:12 AM
As much as I hate that milk dud headed mutha****a It'd suck for the game of bball... It'd also suck for Boston and their terrible fans so I hope it's true

TAZORAC
06-09-2012, 02:23 AM

Garnett has busted up knees, Ducans never had a major injury so you can't compare the too.

Most players with "skill" can play into their 40s if they don't have major injury's.

Timmy D for MVP
06-09-2012, 02:32 AM

If his knee is gone his knee is gone. It's not comparable.

Kews1
06-09-2012, 02:57 AM
:cry:

disel
06-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Good Riddence And Byby Fake Tough Guy....

Kews1
06-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Good Riddence And Byby Fake Tough Guy....
http://i50.tinypic.com/2cwlv5u.jpg

ProfessorMurder
06-09-2012, 03:11 AM
I don't know why some people in this thread are acting like there's no chance of this happening. He's been in pain, there's been rumors since the end of last year, and he's said he wants to end on top.

I'll be very sad to see him go.

RaininTwos
06-09-2012, 03:27 AM
I don't know why some people in this thread are acting like there's no chance of this happening. He's been in pain, there's been rumors since the end of last year, and he's said he wants to end on top.

I'll be very sad to see him go.

We all will.

"Illegal Screens in the NBA have gone down by 500% after the retirement of KG"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZT01xeO3Ex4/TPj5gEjSgYI/AAAAAAAAEKA/VQsvcH7E0OE/s1600/stock_graph_down_arrow.jpg

Stay tuned for more at 11.

305Baller
06-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Don't think for a sec that Boston can start a fake retirement rumor to try to soften Miami up...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1171841/soon.gif

MMM
06-09-2012, 04:11 AM
i hope tomorrow isn't his last game if he retires
game 5 in boston beating OKC would be a dream scenario but probably unlikely.

HorryIsMyMVP
06-09-2012, 04:25 AM
Boston fans and nba fans better admire tomorrows game.
How about I don't and we can say I did.

Dragonyeuw
06-09-2012, 04:27 AM
Wow, surprising news but then, Garnett has been balling at a level I haven't seen since his first season in Boston, so perhaps he's known all along that 'this is it' and he's determined to go out firing on all cylinders, as opposed to limping off the court. Props for that....though it's obvious he can go at least a couple more years and be effective.

JohnWall2
06-09-2012, 05:02 AM
he will be back mayne

comerb
06-09-2012, 05:34 AM

Probably wants to go out on top, or as close to as it as he can get.

miller-time
06-09-2012, 05:39 AM
As much as I hate that milk dud headed mutha****a It'd suck for the game of bball... It'd also suck for Boston and their terrible fans so I hope it's true

even though that is me i laughed. i don't know why but it was funny. maybe it is the alcohol?

he's probably doing it to get his team motivated. if KG is retiring you aren't going to roll over in his possibly last game.

iamgine
06-09-2012, 05:42 AM

KG has played 3800 more minutes than Duncan on the NBA floor.

El Kabong
06-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Well I hope the Celtics can win one for him to go out on top.

I can't help but think that Ainge may be happy if Garnett retires, since he's so paranoid about repeating the Celtics of the 80's. If KG retires, he doesn't have to worry about the backlash of not re-signing him. He also has an excuse to let Allen go as well because "hey, we can't realisticly compete for a championship without KG", then he can trade Pierce or Rondo like he's been itching to do.

eliteballer
06-09-2012, 07:28 AM
He should do the german surgery.

Trentknicks
06-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Well I hope the Celtics can win one for him to go out on top.

I can't help but think that Ainge may be happy if Garnett retires, since he's so paranoid about repeating the Celtics of the 80's. If KG retires, he doesn't have to worry about the backlash of not re-signing him. He also has an excuse to let Allen go as well because "hey, we can't realisticly compete for a championship without KG", then he can trade Pierce or Rondo like he's been itching to do.
I just don't get why he wants to trade either of them though. Even in a rebuilding process you still need some solid pieces to build around. Rondo is unlike any other PG in the game and they want to trade him? Plus Pierce is still a decent veteran who provides alot to the team and contributes significantly. Even with these two on the books they have alot of salary cap space.

wally_world
06-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Was kinda hoping for him to bolt to the Spurs, always dreamt of watching a Duncan/KG low post.

Parker
Green/Ginobili
Leonard
KG
Duncan

:eek:

Andrei89
06-09-2012, 08:02 AM
KG has played 3800 more minutes than Duncan on the NBA floor.

Oh wow he played 60 more hours!!!!

Booohoooooooooooooooo

KKittles30
06-09-2012, 08:08 AM
im old

the kid, mr big ticket...

**** it, duncan, garnett and kidd all retire. screw the nba.

it was ..."Da Kid" ..."The Franchise" ...then "The Big Ticket!" he was always KG.

El Kabong
06-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I just don't get why he wants to trade either of them though. Even in a rebuilding process you still need some solid pieces to build around. Rondo is unlike any other PG in the game and they want to trade him? Plus Pierce is still a decent veteran who provides alot to the team and contributes significantly. Even with these two on the books they have alot of salary cap space.
Well with Rondo, wasn't the talk always that he was in the deal for the likes of Westbrook or Chris Paul. I think in that circumstance you do trade him as they are both more complete players than he is.

I guess with Paul Pierce, his thinking was that the Celtics wouldn't be able to compete with Miami and Chicago, and trading him for youngsters was the best move (I guess like Seattle trading Ray Allen for the #5 pick to Boston). He seems to be an all or nothing kinda guy, if you don't have a realistic chance of winning a title, it's better to be bottoming out so you can get pieces to win a title down the line.

I'd hate to see Pierce traded though, I want to see him retire in the green.

ZenMaster
06-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Oh wow he played 60 more hours!!!!

Booohoooooooooooooooo

At 36 mpg that's 105 games more than TD.

Also there's no rule that says all time greats knees should feel the same.

CelticBaller
06-09-2012, 10:31 AM
:cry:

Win it all celtics!

Bigsmoke
06-09-2012, 10:54 AM
That sucks

That makes me feel old as hell.

Eat Like A Bosh
06-09-2012, 01:05 PM
That's sad news, he is definitely an all time Great in my book.

Surprising too, since this is the best he's ever played since 2008.

ProfessorMurder
06-09-2012, 01:29 PM
He should do the german surgery.

Not a bad idea.

MK2V1GP
06-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Kevin Garnett is by far my favorite NBA player ever, and it's not even close. It will be tough watching tonight's game b/c it's possibly his last game ever, and he really won't have much of a chance to win tonight. It's a shame that injuries possibly took 2 or 3 titles away from him.

It's the end of an era. He's one of the all-time greats and there's no denying that. The NBA will take a step back with no Kevin Garnett. He's one of the last remaining old-school players left. You probably wouldn't even need one whole hand to count the amount of old-school players left anymore.

I hope he goes out in style. Go KG! Go Boston!

ukplayer4
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
rediculous, hes been about the best big man in the entire playoffs

pauk
06-09-2012, 04:39 PM
What... he is still playing at a fantastic level...

Lord Leoshes
06-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Heat fan here, & i don't want to see him quit. Hell no, he is still way to good to call it quits.
If the Pain is that much of a burden to him then i could understand, but would be greatly disappointed.

I wish him well, & hope he doesn't retire yet. At least for another 2, maybe 3 more years.

NewYorkNoPicks
06-10-2012, 01:16 AM
guess thats it :(