PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier - One of the least likeable players in the league?

millwad
06-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm a Rocket fan and as everyone knows he used to play for the Rockets. He was by far the player I liked the least, his head wrinkles pisses me off and so does his game.

One of the most overrated players of his era, never really shut down any player at all and his offense is just beyond horrible. I still have nightmares of his shitty shots and missed 3's in Houston.

And his "nice guy" status is just garbage, he is a big time flopper and in the group of players who mess the game up due his antics..

I hate you, Shane..

http://spreegoogs.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/battier-wrinkly-head-e1300225475475.jpg

305Baller
06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
http://cdn.cheftalk.com/d/d8/d881c3e6_michael-jackson-thriller-eating-popcorn-animated.gif

imdaman99
06-09-2012, 08:47 PM
agreed. he is a very dirty player. the kinda guy that will stick his foot under you when you shoot ala bruce bowen. and he is nowhere nearly as good as bruce bowen was either. i root for the heat to fail, he is a very small reason why, but he is still a reason.

millwad
06-09-2012, 08:50 PM
What the hell, wrinkle head just hit two straight 3's..

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1110587/amarejerk_medium.gif

Clippersfan86
06-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Not at all. Maybe if he's playing against your team but he seems like a great guy and teammate.

westsideozzie
06-09-2012, 08:57 PM
I hate Shane Battier too. Plus he got meatwaves in his head. He does not do anything well.

millwad
06-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Not at all. Maybe if he's playing against your team but he seems like a great guy and teammate.

He played for the Rockets too, my favourite team, never liked him there either..

Draz
06-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Guy can hit some killer shots tho

Rake2204
06-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Funny to see this thread pop up, for not even 20 minutes ago I was pondering the exact opposite notion. I find Shane Battier to be one of the most likeable players in the league. I decided he'd be the one reason I'd ever be okay with Miami winning, because it'd mean he'd win too.

I won't dispute the claim of his defense being overrated. I think there's a good chance that's the case. However, he's still a wonderful glue guy. Even if his defense doesn't lock everyone down, he'll still try to. He never gives up, he never cops an attitude, he does everything as a player a coach or fan could ever want.

I personally like how he seems to know who he is and he embraces it. He's always willing to dive on the floor, always willing to make the right basketball play, even if it's the difficult one. Further, he very rarely complains about calls and has little interest in disputing with other players. I'm not entirely sure where the "intentional foot under shooter" accusation came from (earlier in this thread). I've never, ever had that feeling about Battier. There's a difference between being a hard worker and being dirty.

ImmortalNemesis
06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
F*ck you OP and f*ck everything that you love. Shane Battier is my guy. He is one of the most likeable players in the league. He was an excellent role player with Houston and always gave it his best.

The OP is a *******.

millwad
06-09-2012, 09:17 PM
F*ck you OP and f*ck everything that you love. Shane Battier is my guy. He is one of the most likeable players in the league. He was an excellent role player with Houston and always gave it his best.

The OP is a *******.

Cry me a river..

Sarcastic
06-09-2012, 09:22 PM

:bowdown:

Knicksfever2010
06-09-2012, 09:39 PM
OP doesnt like shane because of something shane has NO CONTROL over? (head wrinkles)

I hope the OP doesnt get a job because the interviewer doesnt like the way the OP looks

06-09-2012, 09:50 PM
OP doesnt like shane because of something shane has NO CONTROL over? (head wrinkles)

I hope the OP doesnt get a job because the interviewer doesnt like the way the OP looks

This guy definitely has giant head wrinks

CarlosBoozer
06-09-2012, 09:51 PM
shane is an ice cold assassin when it matters and plays good d, leave him alone!

millwad
06-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Haha, I have no issues with his head wrinkles really, I just don't like the guy as a player.

The same way people hate on LeBron's hairline, they don't hate him because he has a receding hairline, they dislike him due other stuff.

Heavincent
06-09-2012, 09:55 PM
His face annoys me and all he does is flop, so I don't like him either.

ImmortalNemesis
06-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Haha, I have no issues with his head wrinkles really, I just don't like the guy as a player.

The same way people hate on LeBron's hairline, they don't hate him because he has a receding hairline, they dislike him due other stuff.

LeBron is disliked because he is a douche. You honestly saying Battier and LeBron have similar personalities? Nah. Why do you dislike Battier again? He's always had a below average offensive game. I said the same thing a couple of months ago. Battier always has been a below average offensive player. His 3 is completely overrated as well. But that isn't enough for me to hate him. Simply because watching the games I knew he always gave the team everything he had. He's a team player, any coach would love to have prime Battier on their team.

His defense isn't overrated. He isn't quick laterally but he doesn't make mistakes. He's smart and doesn't go for pump-fakes. Why do you feel his defense is overrated? Because he never shut down anybody? Who can shut down LeBron? Kobe? Wade? No one. You can only slow them down. I just don't understand the hate for Battier, especially because it comes from a Rockets fan. The Houston fan base always loved the guy.

IGotACoolStory
06-09-2012, 10:00 PM
He's a flopping douche bag with a face you want to bunch.

Deuce Bigalow
06-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Hell No

Nash
06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Battier is a good guy. Always seems like a nice fella when I see him in interviews.

jbot
06-09-2012, 10:20 PM
agreed. he is a very dirty player. the kinda guy that will stick his foot under you when you shoot ala bruce bowen. and he is nowhere nearly as good as bruce bowen was either. i root for the heat to fail, he is a very small reason why, but he is still a reason.
i think there's a very fine line between being a really good defensive player and what is perceived as being a "dirty player".

i'm no fan of flopping but would i do it to get my team an extra possession? i'm not sure i woudn't. also for the record, i couldn't stand bowen as a player.

Yung D-Will
06-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Give me a guy like Shane on my team any day of the week.

jstern
06-16-2012, 07:30 AM
I was thinking about this thread when Battier was hitting all of those 3s.

ImmortalNemesis
06-16-2012, 07:36 AM
You all hate Battier because he joined the dark side.

Kobe 4 The Win
06-16-2012, 07:51 AM
I love how he contests shots. He's been shooting well in the finals too which is more than I can say for a lot of guys. I see no reason to dislike him. If you want to complain about someone's head how about Joel Anthony? Jeezus. lol

MiseryCityTexas
06-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Battier is the perfect role player for contending teams.

PJR
06-16-2012, 08:13 AM
You all hate Battier because he joined the dark side.

This. You tools need to just keep it real. Battier's been playing the same way for 10 years and you couldn't find a thread like this. :oldlol:

imdaman99
06-16-2012, 08:21 AM
hate him even more because hes a ring chasing fck. fck this flop artist. he flops on people half his size as well. i understand if you wanna flop on dudes much bigger than you, but flopping on durant who weighs only 100 lbs????? fck off

Rake2204
06-16-2012, 08:34 AM
hate him even more because hes a ring chasing fck.
For some reason, I didn't get the feel he was flat out ring chasing by signing with Miami. He just seemed like a legitimately good fit down there who signed to fill a very necessary role. It wasn't as if he had some evil mastermind plan to sign with whoever was frontrunning. In fact, there was a lot of uncertainty about Battier's future last off-season. Granted, I'm bummed he chose Miami, but I'm still not sure I'd say it's the same as the classic "ring-chase" situations.

Doranku
06-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Might be my least favorite player in the league. Dude is a straight douche bag. Flopping punk bitch who tries to instigate things at every opportunity, but he does it in inconspicuous ways so that he can play the "innocent, good Samaritan" card.

I hate him.

Ancient Legend
06-16-2012, 08:55 AM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/SHANE-BATTIER-PICKS-NOSE-WITH-TONGUE.gif

Rake2204
06-16-2012, 09:02 AM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/SHANE-BATTIER-PICKS-NOSE-WITH-TONGUE.gif
Haha.

I'm surprised to see a few posters share their hatred for Battier. I never got that feel from him at all. He certainly over-exaggerates contact at times but he never altogether fakes contact. Other than that, I just find him to be an intelligent guy playing hard and getting the most out of his abilities for as long as his body will allow. No more, no less. He knows his job and he knows basketball is a job in and of itself. He competes. No crying, no boasting, no flexing, no yelling. Just plays ball. It's refreshing, even though he plays for the Heat.

Jolokia
06-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Love his will. Dude deserves a ring.

HorryIsMyMVP
06-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Defense and 3's whats not to like? Also his versatility is astounding. Pretty sick he has been able to guard power forwards.

Wavves
06-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Hate how he sticks his legs out and purposely stops plays by getting a foot violation. Did it 3-4 times in game 2.

Nash
06-16-2012, 09:44 AM
F*ck off guys :lol Shane Battier is awesome, really smart dude and is actually one of the smartest in american sports. Also very nice and works a lot with charities. Also he's ery articulate in interviews. Will make a perfect analyzer in the future if he wants.

HylianNightmare
06-16-2012, 09:51 AM
hate him. flopping and hitting some ray allenesque shots against the thunder

stax
06-16-2012, 01:36 PM
The kind of guy you want on your team but hate playing against, for me anyway. Gets in opponent's heads (see Rondo try and kick him in the last series - Battier was like :kobe: )

He covers so much ground on the defensive end, it's not always about 'shut down' man-to-man D but Battier sprints around contesting shots and pressuring the ball like his life depends on it. I love that.

DuMa
06-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Actually shane can change his head wrinkles. He just needs to grow out his hair

SilkkTheShocker
06-16-2012, 01:45 PM
My favorite role player in the league

ganja0710
06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
OP = http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lityp3mn5l1qzel1vo1_500.png

Watch Shane drop 40 on Durant's azz tomorrow. 10 3pters...book it.

Eat Like A Bosh
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Damn Shane Battier has a small forehead! :eek:

He's like the Anti-LeBron.

upside24
06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I actually like Shane. I wish he would miss some of these open threes he is getting but as a person I don't see what is not to like.

chips93
06-17-2012, 07:03 PM
anybody read chris ballards 'the art of a beautiful game'? theres a great chapter in there in shane battier, guy's preparation is meticulous

off the court, he seems like an honest, intelligent, goofy guy. very likable, cept those head wrinkles, they're gross

BallsOut
06-17-2012, 07:09 PM
anybody read chris ballards 'the art of a beautiful game'? theres a great chapter in there in shane battier, guy's preparation is meticulous

off the court, he seems like an honest, intelligent, goofy guy. very likable, cept those head wrinkles, they're gross

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2543/4238743571_479e57f2d7.jpg

G-train
06-17-2012, 07:15 PM
:bowdown:

Yep bow down to terrible sportsmanship smh

GOBB
06-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Dont care for any player not named Grant Hill, Elton Brand, Kyrie Irving that came from good ole PUKE. :no:

upside24
06-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Great book.

G-train
06-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Dont care for any player not named Grant Hill, Elton Brand, Kyrie Irving that came from good ole PUKE. :no:

You don't care for Cherokee Parks?

GOBB
06-17-2012, 07:22 PM

Hell no. :no:

Tarik One
06-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Hell no. :no:

Jay Williams was cool. He didn't seem to carry that annoying Duke persona.

LosBulls
06-17-2012, 07:36 PM
What the hell, wrinkle head just hit two straight 3's..

Amare wanted to help up Battier but Batter took too long so Amare thought Battier didn't want the help so he started to walk away. Battier didn't want Amare to think wrong so he tried desperately to hold his hand.

Neither is a bad guy. just an awkward moment.

Da Hammer
06-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Yea I can't say I really like him either. He's always been a good defender but has been overrated as a shut down defender. In the past I thought he was a dirty player but he has improved his antics a little. Hate that he's a flopping little bitch most of all, players like him and Harden can be a complete joke to watch at times. And the fact that he signed with the Heat to chase a ring. I would rather watch Lebron win a ring before he does, so hope the Heat lose and if Lebron wins one let it be after he leaves the team :cheers:

SyRyanYang
06-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Amare wanted to help up Battier but Batter took too long so Amare thought Battier didn't want the help so he started to walk away. Battier didn't want Amare to think wrong so he tried desperately to hold his hand.

Neither is a bad guy. just an awkward moment.
You explanation makes it more awkward. Just sit back and take a laughter

LosBulls
06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
You explanation makes it more awkward. Just sit back and take a laughter
wat

GOBB
06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Jay Williams was cool. He didn't seem to carry that annoying Duke persona.

Smiled too much for my liking.

Rake2204
06-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Remember when Cherokee Parks' sister was in a band called Nashville Pu$$y?

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/19990343.jpg