PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis has some of the smallest hands ever measured... next Kwame Brown?

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 04:40 PM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Anthony+Davis+NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+D9b qlqDoMeXl.jpg

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=9

9" long (normal) but only 8.5" wide (very narrow). Combined this is well below avg for a bigman, his hands are smaller than most point guards hands.

K.Koscik
06-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Do the measurements go from tip of thumb to tip of pinky while the hand is spread?

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Do the measurements go from tip of thumb to tip of pinky while the hand is spread?

For hand width yah, they should change it to hand spread so as not to confuse but yes its thumb to pinky for width - and for length it is break of the wrist to the tip of the middle finger

Real Men Wear Green
06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Kemp supposedly had small hands yet was still an effective player. The downfall of Kwame Brown was all about his weak mentality. If Davis has an aggressive mindset he can overcome that kind of minor detail.

SuperPippen
06-12-2012, 04:59 PM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Anthony+Davis+NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+D9b qlqDoMeXl.jpg

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=9

9" long (normal) but only 8" wide (very narrow). Combined this is well below avg for a bigman, his hands are smaller than most point guards hands.

It's kinda cool to know that your hands are bigger than those of an elite NBA prospect.

Still, hand size isn't going to make or break a player's success in the NBA. As RMWG said, it's all about mentality. Davis has got good height and good athleticism. Small hands are something that can be easily overcome.

Punpun
06-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Rondo is thriving thanks to his hands though.

Davis hands only are 0.5 inches wider than mine if I measured mine correctly. :oldlol::roll::oldlol:

(His are 8.5inches by the way)

K.Koscik
06-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Wow! I just measured my hands and they are 9 inches long and 9 inches wide. That's not very good for Davis considering I'm 6'1" and played guard in high school

Living Being
06-12-2012, 05:04 PM
This must be part of his deformity.

I've never heard of a hand length being longer than hand spread.

I'm 5'11", have a hand length of 8" and a hand spread of 9". I don't consider my hands to be wide at all.

His hands don't seem THAT narrow.
http://content.draftexpress.com/gallery/AnthonyDavis/1329409844.jpg

Maybe your info is wrong?

SuperPippen
06-12-2012, 05:06 PM

:roll: at you for thinking that Rondo's hand size is the reason for his success.

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 05:09 PM
This must be part of his deformity.

I've never heard of a hand length being longer than hand spread.

I'm 5'11", have a hand length of 8" and a hand spread of 9". I don't consider my hands to be wide at all.

His hands don't seem THAT narrow.
http://content.draftexpress.com/gallery/AnthonyDavis/1329409844.jpg

Maybe your info is wrong?
http://www.postandcourier.com/storyimage/CP/20120404/PC20/120409705/AR/0/AR-120409705.jpg

looks like he has a tiny thumb and small fingers too me

franchise#3
06-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Kwame was mentally abused by MJ

Living Being
06-12-2012, 05:11 PM
looks like he has a tiny thumb and small fingers too me
Maybe it has to do with the palm length/finger length ratio. His palms are a big part of his hand length, so I guess that makes his spread much smaller.

Punpun
06-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Ya. It's small fingers. And you skewed his numbers by averaging them to the low (?).

LA_Showtime
06-12-2012, 05:14 PM
That guy could have tentacles sprouting out of his ass and no one would notice because of that creepy shit on his face.

Punpun
06-12-2012, 05:15 PM
:roll: at you for thinking that Rondo's hand size is the reason for his success.

Obviously. Are you stupid or what ? The length of his arms and the size of his hands, mostly the size of the hands, are the main reason he is so good at rebounding.

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Ya. It's small fingers. And you skewed his numbers by averaging them to the low (?).
No I accidently typed 8 but corrected it to 8.5 but not before Superpippen replied

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
anybody know how often he turned over the ball in college?

Punpun
06-12-2012, 05:27 PM
It's freaking funny though. I believe Davis has like 1 ft over me and yet his hands aren't that much wider than mine. It's pretty funny. :oldlol:

Clippersfan86
06-12-2012, 05:28 PM
LOL Pippen :facepalm . Rondo's massive wingspan and hands for his size are absolutely a huge reason for his success. Especially defensively and on the boards. Even the crazy behind the back passes and layups can be attributed to that.

tpols
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
This would affect him a lot more on offense than defense.. but with his quickness and freak wingspan I dont think people will be poking the ball away from him that easily.

Kwame wasnt really an athlete. He was just big and somewhat coordinated.. sorta like the anti-Javale McGee.

Punpun
06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
At least, Davis won't have the excuse of having big hands if he is an awful FT shooter. That's a plus.

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I bet this is why his offense is "raw" he can't hold onto the freaking basketball... good luck teaching him how to grow larger hands New Orleans :lol

Maybe Stern didn't let MJ draft Anthony Davis for MJ's own protection? MJ might otherwise have drafted two Kwame Brown's

LA_Showtime
06-12-2012, 05:42 PM
We don't do stereotypes on here, boy. If that were the case, we'd be predicting Anthony Davis' jail sentence. That, or we'd be asking ourselves which cousin his mother slept with.

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
We don't do stereotypes on here, boy. If that were the case, we'd be predicting Anthony Davis' jail sentence. That, or we'd be asking ourselves which cousin his mother slept with.
who's stereotyping? the measurements of his hands are on record the numbers aren't a stereotype :lol

LA_Showtime
06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
who's stereotyping? the measurements of his hands are on record the numbers aren't a stereotype :lol

The stereotype is that big men with small hands suck at basketball.

DuMa
06-12-2012, 05:49 PM
kobe has small hands too. whats his measured wingspan by the way?

Cali Syndicate
06-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Kemp supposedly had small hands yet was still an effective player. The downfall of Kwame Brown was all about his weak mentality. If Davis has an aggressive mindset he can overcome that kind of minor detail.

Good thing he won't be getting drafted by the Bobcats then

Owl
06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
anybody know how often he turned over the ball in college?
Once a game, per Draftexpress.
Hand size can help, and this is a small red flag, but having soft hands is also pretty big. If he hasn't had a problem dropping passes thus far, I wouldn't expect him to suddenly develop one.
I'd feel more worried if he was coming out of high school like Kwame. But he's put up 14.2/10.4 with almost 5 blocks and one and half steals on 62% shooting against a pretty solid level of competition. Small hands might explain the low assist numbers though.

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
The stereotype is that big men with small hands suck at basketball.

Length/Width of other NBA bigmen's hands past/present/future

Wilt Chamberlain
9.5 x 11.5

Shaquille O'Neal
11 x 9

Bill Russell
10.5 x 9.5

Dwight Howard
9.25 x 9.75

Yao Ming
10 x ?

Demarcus Cousins
9.25 x 10

Andre Drummond
9.5 x 9.5

Jerome Jordan
9 x 10.25

Wayne Embry
9.25 x 12

Enes Kanter
9.5 x 10.75

Anthony Davis
9 x 8.5

:eek:

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 06:02 PM
kobe has small hands too. whats his measured wingspan by the way?
Kobe's hands aren't small, they are avg (just over 9" length but unknown width) - they are only called small because Kobe is in the mold of MJ and MJ had massive hands and Kobe's are small-er than MJ's whom he is often compared too.

Suckafree
06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Historically, alot of these 'big handed' people have been poor shooters (Apart from the obvious, MJ etc.)

Could be a good thing?

But I really dont see hand size effecting anything really, how often do players have to make a one-handed catch in traffic? Hardly ever right.

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Historically, alot of these 'big handed' people have been poor shooters (Apart from the obvious, MJ etc.)

Could be a good thing?

But I really dont see hand size effecting anything really, how often do players have to make a one-handed catch in traffic? Hardly ever right.
Poor shooting is a mind game that has nothing to do with a players hands or wingspan as MJ, Dr. J, Connie Hawkins, Elgin Baylor and countless other large handed long limbed players have proven time and time again whilst inversely guys like Ben Wallace with much smaller hands still couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Big hands mean players have a much more impressive grip and potential to protect/catch/pass better. The last bigman to have notoriously small hands that I'm aware of was Kwame Brown.

anthonyRandolph
06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Who cares, we'll find out if he sucks or not just let him play a game first.

Punpun
06-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Dude, SHAQ had freakish hands. His were longer than wide. Wow. By a BIG 2 INCHES at that. Are oyu s ure you didn't make a mistake ?

ZenMaster
06-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Could be a good thing?

I can't help but think that people who dismiss hand size are people who's never played the game themselves.

This is definitely an obstacle Davis has to overcome and adjust to by making sure he does whatever he can do with both hands, I'm sure Cal has made a big point of this, he always does.

SuperPippen
06-12-2012, 06:33 PM
LOL Pippen :facepalm . Rondo's massive wingspan and hands for his size are absolutely a huge reason for his success. Especially defensively and on the boards. Even the crazy behind the back passes and layups can be attributed to that.

So, let me get this straight.

Rondo's hand size - I repeat, hand size - is the primary reason he is able to pull off those crazy passes and is the primary reason he is such an effective defender and rebounder for his size.

According to you (and that dumbass punpun), Rondo's overall coordination, effort, timing, hustle, athleticism, and skill have very little to do with it. It's all about his hand size.

Yeah, that makes sense.

G-train
06-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Kwame failed for a number of reasons, one of which was that he had poor ball security. People saying that ties in with hand size is a myth. With technique and aggressiveness you can secure the ball anywhere on the court, even with average sized hands for a 6'2 guy.

Davis has a 7'6 wingspan, Kwame a tad over 7 foot.
Davis has amazing agility.
Davis has amazing basketball sense and court awareness.
He has advanced defensive skills.

He will be fine.

Guys whose hands are smaller:
Markieff and Marcus Morris
Carl Landry
Udoh's is similar.

G-train
06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
I can't help but think that people who dismiss hand size are people who's never played the game themselves.

And I'd say the posters saying it will likely making him a bust have never played the game themselves as well.

bagelred
06-12-2012, 06:40 PM
This guy is one of the freakiest looking dudes i've ever seen. Is the unibrow his "thing" or does he really not realize how ridiculous that looks.

Punpun
06-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Why are you caricaturing what we said ? We only said, Rondo's hands are a HUGE factor of why he is thriving in the NBA.

If you believe hustling and effort would allow you to be half the rebounder he is (and that goes for every PG &SG in the NBA), then you're out of your ****ing mind.

GOBB
06-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I bet this is why his offense is "raw" he can't hold onto the freaking basketball... good luck teaching him how to grow larger hands New Orleans :lol

Maybe Stern didn't let MJ draft Anthony Davis for MJ's own protection? MJ might otherwise have drafted two Kwame Brown's

And if cavs drafted him you would be in this thread saying opposite.

ZenMaster
06-12-2012, 06:49 PM
And I'd say the posters saying it will likely making him a bust have never played the game themselves as well.

Probably.

SuperPippen
06-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Why are you caricaturing what we said ? We only said, Rondo's hands are a HUGE factor of why he is thriving in the NBA.

If you believe hustling and effort would allow you to be half the rebounder he is (and that goes for every PG &SG in the NBA), then you're out of your ****ing mind.

I'm certainly not denying that Rondo's crazy hand size (which is the only thing that I mentioned in my original post), and especially wing-span are a significant part of what makes him such a unique and effective player.

But if you're seriously saying that his success with everything that he does - not just rebounding, but every aspect of his as a player - is due mostly to his crazy measurements, than what you're saying is illogical and very disrespectful to Rondo, and the amount of work and effort he has undoubtedly put into improving his game.

tpols
06-12-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm certainly not denying that Rondo's crazy hand size (which is the only thing that I mentioned in my original post), and especially wing-span are a significant part of what makes him such a unique and effective player.

But if you're seriously saying that his success with everything that he does - not just rebounding, but every aspect of his as a player - is due mostly to his crazy measurements, than what you're saying is illogical and very disrespectful to Rondo, and the amount of work and effort he has undoubtedly put into improving his game.
What do you know about his work ethic that separates him from other above average NBA players? Just curious..

SuperPippen
06-12-2012, 06:59 PM
What do you know about his work ethic that separates him from other above average NBA players? Just curious..

Very little.

But from seeing how Rondo has improved since his rookie season, and from observing how hard he plays and how much effort he gives during games, it's pretty easily concluded that Rondo has put in a lot of work.

Rondo is a 21st overall draft pick who is now in the discussion for best PG in the league. If that isn't indicative of a player who has worked hard to improve, I don't know what is.

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Dude, SHAQ had freakish hands. His were longer than wide. Wow. By a BIG 2 INCHES at that. Are oyu s ure you didn't make a mistake ?

Nope no mistake, he has long hands and short thumbs
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0206/nba_g_shaq_580.jpg

tpols
06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Very little.

But from seeing how Rondo has improved since his rookie season, and from observing how hard he plays and how much effort he gives during games, it's pretty easily concluded that Rondo has put in a lot of work.

Rondo is a 21st overall draft pick who is now in the discussion for best PG in the league. If that isn't indicative of a player who has worked hard to improve, I don't know what is.
I always took the fact that he never really worked on his shooting mechanics as a sign that he wasnt the type of gym rat player who was always striving for perfection. I mean.. Ray has said it.. getting a good jumpshot just takes taking a lot of shots. Every great shooter has taken a ridiculous amount of shots to get good at shooting.. and there's no reason Rondo shouldnt be able to shoot at least averagely if he really was putting a lot of time into improving his game in the off season.

I would say his play has been roughly the same for the past 3 years with no basketball playing improvement at all.. he just seems like more of a leader now and his massive load of experience in the playoffs have made him fearless.. so hes more aggressive and demonstrative with his play now.

His physical attributes.. quickness, large hands, freak wingspan determine pretty much everything he excels at. Ball handling, passing, weaving through crowds, finishing, rebounding, defending.. they have a huge role in everything from what I see. His intelligence combined with those is why hes so good.

G-train
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
I've measured this and his hands are definitely big enough to hold it.

http://157.166.255.30/images/5/5c/Eddie_gottlieb_roy.jpg

Punpun
06-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Nope no mistake, he has long hands and short thumbs
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0206/nba_g_shaq_580.jpg

It's strange. He has a really small big thumb.

RoseCity07
06-12-2012, 08:12 PM
This is actually a very big deal. One of the special things about Oden when we took him was that he has excellent hands. This guy could catch anything and go up and dunk it fast. Great hands are so important for a big man.

wang4three
06-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Barkley couldn't palm the ball either.

G-train
06-12-2012, 08:15 PM
This is actually a very big deal. One of the special things about Oden when we took him was that he has excellent hands. This guy could catch anything and go up and dunk it fast. Great hands are so important for a big man.

It's only a big deal if you don't catch the ball. Davis has shown that he can.

Sampsonsimpson
06-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Not basing this off his hands at all but for some reason I just cant see this guy making it in the NBA, I dont see it in him.

Ancient Legend
06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Anybody got Jordan's hand size?

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 08:18 PM

9.75 x 11

Carbine
06-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Another red flag I have about him is he's virtually the same size as Durant.

This includes height, weight and wingspan.

I still think he's going to at the very least going to be a dominant pick and roll defender and will block shots as his timing and ability to get off the floor quickly are elite.

Wouldn't be counting on him to be a franchise caliber guy though. Not in the Dwight, Bron, Durant mold.

GOBB
06-12-2012, 08:31 PM

I still think he's going to at the very least going to be a dominant pick and roll defender and will block shots as his timing and ability to get off the floor quickly are elite.

Wouldn't be counting on him to be a franchise caliber guy though. Not in the Dwight, Bron, Durant mold.

What was Dwight Howard's measurements

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2004&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

bwink23
06-12-2012, 08:36 PM

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/52/5258/DVKZG00Z/posters/michael-jordan.jpg

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 08:37 PM
What was Dwight Howard's measurements

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2004&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

Yah but Dwight doesn't have 8.5 inch hands :lol

LA_Showtime
06-12-2012, 08:37 PM
I know Davis is supposedly this athletic freak but I just don't see it. I mean his wingspan is ridiculous but he never struck me as explosive or powerful.

G-train
06-12-2012, 08:43 PM

He is also the same size as Larry Sanders, big enough to play the 4 and 5.

I would say he is much stronger than Durant. Durant has the skeletal body and thin shoulders.

Suckafree
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM

This is definitely an obstacle Davis has to overcome and adjust to by making sure he does whatever he can do with both hands, I'm sure Cal has made a big point of this, he always does.

Lol wtf. I can guarantee you I've played more competitive ball than you. The only time your gunna need to have big hands is when your only using one of them e.g Dr.J, Shaq, MJ, Rondo. Hand size is by far one of the most irrelevant measurements of the draft combine.

If he sucks, it wont be because he has small hands.

G-train
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I know Davis is supposedly this athletic freak but I just don't see it. I mean his wingspan is ridiculous but he never struck me as explosive or powerful.

He runs the court like he is small forward and has a very fast leap. He is 6'10, with elite quickness. That's a freak.

bdreason
06-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Bust.

G-train
06-12-2012, 08:51 PM
You can actually train to increase hand 'width' (grip strength) too.
I'd say he has and will.

tpols
06-12-2012, 08:52 PM
His athleticism comes from the fact that he's that big/long and is still extremely quick laterally and up and down the court. KG-athleticism.

CavaliersFTW
06-12-2012, 08:52 PM
He runs the court like he is small forward and has a very fast leap. He is 6'10, with elite quickness. That's a freak.
he is only 6-9.25, and he has 8.5" hands. Narrower than 5-9 Isaiah Thomas's hands

Foster5k
06-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Most amphibians have small hands.... :D

But.. yeah, I doubt his hand size will be that big of a factor. He might average one less rebound or something....

Meticode
06-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Davis hands only are 0.5 inches wider than mine if I measured mine correctly. :oldlol::roll::oldlol:

(His are 8.5inches by the way)
Not to mention that Rondo is 6'1" but has the wingspan of a SF-PF at 6'9".

Rowe
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Lol wtf. I can guarantee you I've played more competitive ball than you. The only time your gunna need to have big hands is when your only using one of them e.g Dr.J, Shaq, MJ, Rondo. Hand size is by far one of the most irrelevant measurements of the draft combine.

If he sucks, it wont be because he has small hands.
Exactly.

Im not sure why OP mentioned Kwame Brown's hands for why he sucked in the NBA. Kwame Brown ruined his NBA career because he never had a work ethic to develop his skills on either end of the court, which frustrated both Jordan & Kobe.

Davis' hands wont be why hes successful or a failure. It depends entirely on how serious he takes the task of developing his mid-range shot and post game on offense.

waseem780
02-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Proved em wrong

Keno
02-21-2014, 10:01 PM
lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

very good bump.

CavaliersFTW
02-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Proved em wrong
:applause: he's def beyond Kwame that's for sure, now that I think about it IIRC Kemp and Barkley both had relatively 'small' hands too

houston
02-22-2014, 12:07 AM
ewing had small hands

Jameerthefear
02-22-2014, 12:11 AM
Great bump :roll:

Johnny Jones
02-22-2014, 12:38 AM
:oldlol:

Davis has some of the best hands in the league.