PDA

View Full Version : So I just watched Sonicsgate....

JustinJDW
06-13-2012, 03:31 AM
I love Kevin Durant, and I'm totally rooting for O.K.C in the Finals....

but holy shit was that team stolen. I feel so horribly for the fans of Seattle. I never realized just how much they got screwed over until I watched that entire 2-hour documentary. Both their owner ****ed them over, state legislation ****ed them over, Bennet lied to their faces and then ****ed them over, then just when they were about to get a court vote, their own damn mayor ****ed them over with a bullshit settlement.

Then their state legislation ****ed them over again and didn't even utilize the settlement. :oldlol:

Holy hell, I understand the pain now. If the San Antonio Spurs were in that same place and those events occurred, I don't think I could ever get over it. Not right, and I hope Seattle gets a team soon. The city and the fans extremely deserve it. Not right what happened to them.

Anyone that hasn't ever watched the documentary, I highly recommend you do. Its extremely informative and very well done. Don't have to watch it all now of course. I watched about fourty-five minutes at first and then the rest later. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Dp20ydm1E

1987_Lakers
06-13-2012, 03:37 AM
The Finals would of had such a cooler feeling if it was Heat vs Sonics.

Haymaker
06-13-2012, 03:44 AM
The Finals would of had such a cooler feeling if it was Heat vs Sonics.

I agree :cry:

LEFT4DEAD
06-13-2012, 03:46 AM
http://www.kevindurantsite.com/News/Kevin-Durant-of-the-Seattle-SuperSonics-and-Dwayne-Wade-of-the-Miami-Heat-wait-for-the-ball-to-be-put-in-play-on-February-29,-2008.jpg
Life can be so unfair sometimes. No, really! NBA without Supersonics looks so empty to me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

ClutchOver9000
06-13-2012, 03:53 AM
http://www.kevindurantsite.com/News/Kevin-Durant-of-the-Seattle-SuperSonics-and-Dwayne-Wade-of-the-Miami-Heat-wait-for-the-ball-to-be-put-in-play-on-February-29,-2008.jpg
Life can be so unfair sometimes. No, really! NBA without Supersonics looks so empty to me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

holy shit, now im feeling nostalgic...

that is a sick pic....

Haymaker
06-13-2012, 03:54 AM

That's beautiful :applause:

1987_Lakers
06-13-2012, 03:55 AM

Back when Wade was playing like a hybrid MJ.

JustinJDW
06-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Sick pic man. :pimp:

LEFT4DEAD
06-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Back when Wade was playing like a hybrid MJ.
Yeah, probably my favourite player after prime AI. Damn he was joy to watch back then.

mjokc
06-13-2012, 04:24 AM
Get over it.

OmniStrife
06-13-2012, 04:42 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ETxhr.jpg

mjokc
06-13-2012, 04:44 AM

I don't get it, is Seattle burning?

OmniStrife
06-13-2012, 04:46 AM
I don't get it, is Seattle burning?
You probably don't get it because you're inbred.

ChrisPosh
06-13-2012, 04:49 AM
If I was a SuperSonics fan... shii I'd be pissed off everytime I hear announcers call "OKC the greatest and most loyal fanbase in the NBA today". Haha, irritates me enough just hearing it in Finals commentary.

And even if Seattle did get a team back, OKC still has all your records/history

06-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Get over it.

I would like to see you take your own advice the day they take the Thunder out of OKC.

Shepseskaf
06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I just watched Sonicsgate last week. I place far more blame on Seattle legislators and business community.

It was obvious that a group from OKC might try to take the team. Bennett just did what businessmen usually do, including all the lying. Its all about results, and he got what he wanted.

Seattle ultimately has to look at itself for letting things get to the point where Bennett was able to get his foot in the door. If they had taken care of business, it never would have happened.

Floppy
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
I just watched Sonicsgate last week. I place far more blame on Seattle legislators and business community.

It was obvious that a group from OKC might try to take the team. Bennett just did what businessmen usually do, including all the lying. Its all about results, and he got what he wanted.

Seattle ultimately has to look at itself for letting things get to the point where Bennett was able to get his foot in the door. If they had taken care of business, it never would have happened.
Is businessman a pseudonym for psychopathic asshole?

Shepseskaf
06-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Is businessman a pseudonym for psychopathic asshole?
You might want to bring down the level of name-calling and vitriol. In case this is news to you, persons seeking advantages in business frequently "bend the truth" (i.e. lie).

Seattle never should have let Bennett get his foot in the door. The risks were obvious. The city took it for granted that the team would stay, no matter what. That assumption proved to be wrong.

Floppy
06-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Fun fact: At least 1 out of 25 CEOs is a psychopath.

Watching his interviews I am pretty certain that he is one.

06-13-2012, 09:45 AM
And they have prayer before each OKC home games.

Yet Bennett broke 2 commandants of the christian faith. He lied to and stole from Seattle.

It's A VC3!!!
06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah, probably my favourite player after prime AI. Damn he was joy to watch back then.

And Vince Carter wasn't?:oldlol:

I want to watch that documentary as well. It shows an in depth view on the Sonics and the transition to OKC.

Dream Team Documentary is on tonight too.:cheers:

LamarOdom
06-13-2012, 09:55 AM
And they have prayer before each OKC home games.

Yet Bennett broke 2 commandants of the christian faith. He lied to and stole from Seattle.

Amen!

M.V.W.
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Great pic!

Anti Hero
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/okc-thunder-seattle-shirt-530x414.jpg

:applause: :oldlol:

The hatred between Seattle Supersonics fans and Oklahoma City Thunder fans is already a known commodity but it appears that a pro-Thunder t-shirt has gotten the ire of the Seattle NBA fanbase for taking a shot at their city.

The shirt in question was being sold by Warpaint clothing company in Oklahoma City and can be seen in this link essentially thanking Seattle for their NBA team.

It was being sold through the Internet until Warpaint received death threats from Seattle fans through Twitter who weren't exactly pleased to know of its existence.

Seriously though, pretty shitty how it went down. If it were the Suns, I'd never get over it.

kentatm
06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
If I was a SuperSonics fan... shii I'd be pissed off everytime I hear announcers call "OKC the greatest and most loyal fanbase in the NBA today". Haha, irritates me enough just hearing it in Finals commentary.

I hate hearing that shit and I'm not even a Seattle fan.

Its such bullshit to call them the best and most loyal when they have had the team for just 4 years, only one of which was a bad season, and that was their first year which was the tail end of a rebuild so the fans who had no other pro sports were simply happy to have a team.

Lets see what happens when they are there for 15 years and have a few bad years. If they still go nuts the way they do now, THEN you can call them the best and most loyal.

Right now all they are is a city of bandwagon fans.

NBA4EVER
06-13-2012, 12:11 PM
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8485671/640/8485671.jpg

GabeIsGone
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Exactly. If you flirt with disaster, don't be surprised when disaster comes on to you.

Seattle should have never let the situation get to the point where ANYONE could have taken the team. They should have given them a new arena and locked them into the area for decades to come. Just like every other city with a major sports franchise.

Glide2keva
06-13-2012, 12:28 PM
After watching just half of this video, I might actually root for the Heat. All things aside about how they did the city of Seattle, but to learn about the things they are politically involved in, is very disturbing.

Kblaze8855
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM

He paid for the team owned by another person who sold it to him. Seattle never owned it. Far as the lying....

Seattle fans are on some hardcore coveting. Too much to call him out for bearing false witness.

Thunderstruck
06-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Bennett didn't steal the team. He lied through his teeth no doubt, but he bought the team fair and square from Howard Shultz, who inexplicably trusted an Oklahoma business man who's city had just finished a 2 year flirtation with the NBA and wanted more. Stupid is as stupid does.

CelticBaller
06-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Sucks that if the sonics comeback, they won't have their records. at least all sonic fans can hope is some class from bennett

Killbot
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Would rep you if I could.

Killbot
06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I would like to see you take your own advice the day they take the Thunder out of OKC.

He probably won't have the nerve to start posting here once his team is gone.

El Kabong
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I could understand the anti-OKC stance some Seattle people might take, but I hope none of them are hating the players or anything.

PBJ_Time
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Sucks that if the sonics comeback, they won't have their records. at least all sonic fans can hope is some class from bennett
Hell, I don't want the records! Keep that all in Seattle where it belongs.

Killbot
06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Hell, I don't want the records! Keep that all in Seattle where it belongs.

:cheers:
One thing all Sonics fans and most OKC fans (might be a few that says otherwise) can agree on.

I could understand the anti-OKC stance some Seattle people might take, but I hope none of them are hating the players or anything.

If Sonics fan are hating on Durant, they can fck off. Durant still has his Sonic blood in his system.

The blame should be on entirely Bennett, Schultz, Stern, and Greg Nickels.

Killbot
06-13-2012, 02:17 PM

That's nice and all, but you don't see Stern trying to keep the team in Seattle like he did with the Hornets. Sonics fans got cheated here. There's no fcking doubt about it. Anyone saying otherwise is denying the truth.

Shepseskaf
06-13-2012, 02:37 PM
That's nice and all, but you don't see Stern trying to keep the team in Seattle like he did with the Hornets. Sonics fans got cheated here. There's no fcking doubt about it. Anyone saying otherwise is denying the truth.
Wait.... so Stern not keeping the team in Seattle = fans getting cheated? How do those two propositions equal one another?

Do you think that the Commissioner WANTED to uproot a franchise that had been in the city for 41 years? Did he have some kind of grudge against the Pacific Northwest? Did he finally come to the conclusion the area was too rainy to support a franchise?

No, of course not. The reason that the NBA allowed Bennett to move the team had much more to do with the fact that Seattle wasn't willing to upgrade the arena. Don't you think?

Killbot
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Wait.... so Stern not keeping the team in Seattle = fans getting cheated? How do those two propositions equal one another?

Do you think that the Commissioner WANTED to uproot a franchise that had been in the city for 41 years? Did he have some kind of grudge against the Pacific Northwest? Did he finally come to the conclusion the area was too rainy to support a franchise?

No, of course not. The reason that the NBA allowed Bennett to move the team had much more to do with the fact that Seattle wasn't willing to upgrade the arena. Don't you think?

Yes. He gave a different treatment to the Hornets. How is that not being cheated for Seattle? He could have gone out of his way to keep the team in Seattle like he did with Hornets.

Maybe. He wanted the team to move because he's buddies with Clay Bennett. He made him in charge of relocation committee after the move was successful.

Do you realize that Bennett proposed the arena in the CITY OF RENTON and not the city of SEATTLE? Those are TWO different areas. Not only that, but he proposed $500 million dollars to build the arena in RENTON and not Seattle. The proposal was BS, the arena location was BS, and Clay alienating fans was the truth. Stop supporting him.

Anti Hero
06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Would you rather have them in Renton or OKC? Renton shouldn't sound so bad now.

Shepseskaf
06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Yes. He gave a different treatment to the Hornets. How is that not being cheated for Seattle? He could have gone out of his way to keep the team in Seattle like he did with Hornets.

Maybe. He wanted the team to move because he's buddies with Clay Bennett. He made him in charge of relocation committee after the move was successful.

Do you realize that Bennett proposed the arena in the CITY OF RENTON and not the city of SEATTLE? Those are TWO different areas. Not only that, but he proposed $500 million dollars to build the arena in RENTON and not Seattle. The proposal was BS, the arena location was BS, and Clay alienating fans was the truth. Stop supporting him.
The details all point to one conclusion -- the legislature and other officials in Seattle did not take care of business, no matter how you slice it.

Had they been serious about keeping the team, no one could have taken it from them.

Reverend Hoops
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
http://www.nasorb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Kevin-Durant.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/2649550259_8f4b003c89_o.png http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/06/120611-ibaka-590.jpg

ShawnieMac06
06-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Exactly. If you flirt with disaster, don't be surprised when disaster comes on to you.

Seattle should have never let the situation get to the point where ANYONE could have taken the team. They should have given them a new arena and locked them into the area for decades to come. Just like every other city with a major sports franchise.

The bigger problem, in my opinion, stems back to two ownership groups prior to Bennett and his cronies, and it was when the Seattle Center Coliseum was re-built into what's now KeyArena , and made it basketball-centric with no intention to host a NHL team in the near-future. I mean, it could hold hockey, but you would have to take a few sections of seats in one of the endzone areas to fit a regulation-size hockey rink (200' by 85'). With that said, KeyArena was also the smallest arena, capacity-wise, in the NBA, just behind ARCO Arena in Sacramento, plus the Sonics' lease with the city of Seattle gave the city practically the bulk of the arena revenue. I think had they built KeyArena into a NBA AND NHL-quality arena, and seated at least 18,500 people (instead of 17,100 for basketball), the Sonics would still be in Seattle.

What's been missing in these Sonics/Thunder discussions here is that the Sonics and the Seattle city government had already spent $90 million a decade-plus earlier on the renovation/construction of KeyArena, plus the Washington state government (along with the city of Seattle and King County) selling out $1 billion to build new stadiums for the Seahawks and Mariners. You can't really blame the local taxpayers for not wanting to spend more public money to another sports facility when the three aforementioned teams just got new or renovated facilities within the last decade or so.

If the Coffee King really cared about the Sonics, he and some other business leaders in the Seattle area could have funded the construction of a new arena (without taxpayer money), much like what they're trying to do now.

Killbot
06-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Would you rather have them in Renton or OKC? Renton shouldn't sound so bad now.

Yeah, but the point was the team should be KEPT IN SEATTLE. Not moved.

Killbot
06-13-2012, 03:07 PM
The details all point to one conclusion -- the legislature and other officials in Seattle did not take care of business, no matter how you slice it.

Had they been serious about keeping the team, no one could have taken it from them.

The minority owner even admitted he never cared about keeping the team in Seattle and they planned on moving to OKC. If minority owner claims that, what opinion would Clay Bennett have? If the government and the people tried to get the arena up and ready, I see the situation similar to the Kings.

Not trying to defend the government at all, btw.

Shepseskaf
06-13-2012, 03:15 PM
The minority owner even admitted he never cared about keeping the team in Seattle and they planned on moving to OKC. If minority owner claims that, what opinion would Clay Bennett have? If the government tried to get the arena up and ready, I see the situation similar to the Kings.
God, this is like talking to a recording.

To repeat just one more time -- Bennett NEVER should have been allowed to become owner in the first damn place. Do you understand that simple fact?

The fact that an out-of-state group was able to purchase the team is an indictment of both the local business community and the legislature. They should have known what might happen, given that the ownership had no local ties.

The blame in this situation falls on Seattle, not on Bennett or the NBA.

Killbot
06-13-2012, 03:21 PM
God, this is like talking to a recording.

To repeat just one more time -- Bennett NEVER should have been allowed to become owner in the first damn place. Do you understand that simple fact?

The fact that an out-of-state group was able to purchase the team is an indictment of both the local business community and the legislature. They should have known what might happen, given that the ownership had no local ties.

The blame in this situation falls on Seattle, not on Bennett or the NBA.

You can't do anything about Bennett getting the team because dumbass Schultz sold it in the first place. That should be common sense to you and anyone else. His foot is already in the door in Seattle once Schultz sold it.

Do you realize that there could have been other offers besides Bennett? Bennett might have been the one willing to pay Schultz the most and Schultz being the greedy bitch that he is, accepted that offer.

Seattle should not get blamed. I have already addressed your points. I'm not even blaming this on just Bennett, you know. Stern, Nickels, and Schultz are equally involved in the blame.

Don't be so ignorant.

Shepseskaf
06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't be so ignorant.
If there's ignorance on display here, it isn't coming from me.

Kblaze8855
06-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Seattle should not get blamed.

No matter what else happened...they pay up they are still in Seattle.

Lakers Legend#32
06-13-2012, 06:32 PM
No matter what else happened...they pay up they are still in Seattle.

Not with Bennett as the owner.
There is nothing the local or state government could have done to keep him from moving the team. The emails between him and his fellow owners prove this right for the get go.

DirtySanchez
06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/files/2011/04/SonicsBanners.jpg

NumberSix
06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I seriously cringed when I heard someone on the radio say "this is the first time this franchise has been to the NBA finals since 1996".

liquidrage
06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Not with Bennett as the owner.
There is nothing the local or state government could have done to keep him from moving the team. The emails between him and his fellow owners prove this right for the get go.

Thats false. It all revolved around the arena deal.
And the city and state wouldn't give a better deal for years before they were sold.

NumberSix
06-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Thats false. It all revolved around the arena deal.
And the city and state wouldn't give a better deal for years before they were sold.
No it didn't, that's just the fake excuse they used to do what they always intended to do. Take the team to OKC.

Kblaze8855
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Yea I dont know where the idea that the new owners started the beef with the city came from. sonic fans were on here in like 2003 or 2004 talking about the city not wanting to pay to update the arena.

The sonics are gone because the city wouldnt pay up and thats all there is to it.

One could argue that teams straight up rape local government for deals their rich ass owners shouldnt need...but thats the way it is.

Orlando dealt with its "Pay or I sell to a guy who wants to move to Kansas city" situation by swallowing its pride and giving a billionaire hundreds of millions of dollars.

Does it make sense? Nope.

Is it how you keep your team? Yes. And they could have done it 10 years ago.

Rake2204
05-08-2015, 01:00 AM
Finally got around to convincing myself to watch this two hour doc. Glad I did. What an awful series of unfortunate events, misdeeds, miscalculations, and betrayal. It sort of reminds me of the Malice at the Palace in terms of fans trying to reduce the entire situation to one singular cause or reason when, in fact, it's a culmination of many bad things of various degrees jumping off in close proximity to one another.

-The city covering a $90 million upgrade to Key Arena in '95
-The city covering hundreds of millions to build a brand new baseball and football stadium just years before pushing for a new Sonics arena
-The system that allows pro leagues to bypass paying for their own arenas by dangling franchises from city to city until someone agrees to foot the bill
-Howard Schultz for being Howard Schultz
-Clay Bennett for outright deceit
-Seattle mayor of making a preemptive deal
-Seattle legislature for not even taking advantage of said deal

Just crazy. And that creepy Clay Bennett/David Stern e-mail exchange....

I am concerned that you may feel I have betrayed your trust. David you know how I feel about our relationship both personally and professionally. You are among a very few, notwithstanding our relative brief actual physical time together that have significantly affected my life. I view you as a role model as an extraordinarily gifted executive, a deep and compassionate thinker, and a person with a rare and unique charisma that brings out the best in everyone you touch. You are just one of my favorite people on earth and I so cherish our relationship.

And the sleaze...

'Is there any way to move here [Oklahoma City] for next season or are we doomed to have another lame duck season in Seattle?' Ward wrote. Bennett replied: 'I am a man possessed! Will do everything we can. Thanks for hanging with me boys, the game is getting started!' Ward: 'That's the spirit!! I am willing to help any way I can to watch ball here [in Oklahoma City] next year.' McClendon: 'Me too, thanks Clay!'"

I dig Russell Westbrook & company, and the fans seem cool enough in OKC, but I suddenly have a strong urge to never want to see Clay Bennett experience real deal NBA success.

Killbot
05-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Finally got around to convincing myself to watch this two hour doc. Glad I did. What an awful series of unfortunate events, misdeeds, miscalculations, and betrayal. It sort of reminds me of the Malice at the Palace in terms of fans trying to reduce the entire situation to one singular cause or reason when, in fact, it's a culmination of many bad things of various degrees jumping off in close proximity to one another.

-The city covering a $90 million upgrade to Key Arena in '95
-The city covering hundreds of millions to build a brand new baseball and football stadium just years before pushing for a new Sonics arena
-The system that allows pro leagues to bypass paying for their own arenas by dangling franchises from city to city until someone agrees to foot the bill
-Howard Schultz for being Howard Schultz
-Clay Bennett for outright deceit
-Seattle mayor of making a preemptive deal
-Seattle legislature for not even taking advantage of said deal

Just crazy. And that creepy Clay Bennett/David Stern e-mail exchange....

And the sleaze...

I dig Russell Westbrook & company, and the fans seem cool enough in OKC, but I suddenly have a strong urge to never want to see Clay Bennett experience real deal NBA success.

Thanks for taking the time to watch the film and summarize for those that didn't see it yet. Glad you can see what some dedicated Sonics fans been through. :applause:

It was a multitude of factors and really shitty people that caused them to move.

Prime_Shaq
05-08-2015, 01:14 AM
Do Sonics fans hate Durant?

buddha
05-08-2015, 01:18 AM

not as much as I hate that ******* LeBron. actually I don't hate Durant at all, and Westbrook is my favorite player. Rooting for LeBron James in 2012 was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Killbot
05-08-2015, 01:30 AM

Nope.

1) He was drafted and wore the Sonics jersey. Unless he completely stopped caring about improving his game during his Sonic tenure, he shouldn't be hated.
2) This situation was out of his control
3) He has said good things about the city of Seattle (although it could just be a pr move, but whatever)
4) If Sonics were still in Seattle, he would have been franchise player for Seattle and the MVP, while donning the Supersonics jersey.