PDA

View Full Version : David Stern to Jim Rome: "Do you still beat your wife?"

OKCThunderUP
06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
David Stern was on Jim Rome's show today. Rome asked Stern "Was the NBA lottery rigged?" to which Stern replied, "Do you still beat your wife?"

Asshole move for sure, but why is Rome asking such a stupid question? He kind of deserved that reply by Stern.

Link to the audio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yi2kH4U7E8A

RaininTwos
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
no way he said that:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Sarcastic
06-13-2012, 02:58 PM
So he's implying that he rigged the lottery in the past, and no longer does? Since Jim Rome once beat his wife, and presumably no longer does?

Clutch
Stern :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Jordan-esque
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/06/13/jim-rome-asked-david-stern-about-the-nba-lottery-being-fixed-and-stern-responded-have-you-stopped-beating-your-wife/

Link with Audio below!

:eek:

Recap:

Question starts right around 7:38 minute mark.

Rome: You know New Orleans won the draft, which of course produced the usual round of speculation that maybe the lottery was fixed. I know that you appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, was the fix in for the lottery?

Stern: You know, I have two answers for that. I'll give you the easy one. No and a statement, "Shame on you for asking.".

Rome: I understand why you would say that to me and I wanted to prep by saying it respectfully, I think it's my job to ask because people wonder.

Stern: No it's ridiculous.

Rome: I know that you think it's ridiculous, but I don't think the question is ridiculous cause I know people think that. I'm not saying that I do, but I think it's my job to ask you that.

Stern: Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Rome: Yeah, I don't know if that's fair.

Stern: Why's that?

Rome: Because I think that there is, and I know you read your e-mails and I'm sure you follow things virally and on twitter, people really do think it, whether it's fair or not.

Stern: Well, they think it because it's...

Rome: You don't think the question is fair to ask if your fans think it?

Stern: Silly questions. I expect it to be written about and you know, I actually I commented on my presser there was one guy who I won't dignify by name says "I have no reason to know anything and I don't know anything, but I tell you it's totally fixed." Ok, that's good, why is that?

Well if this team won it, or that team won it, it would have been a fix also. And if every team was invited and had a representative there and there were four members of the media there and the (board?) certified it. You still think yes. I guess...

Rome: I think 2 things which to respond to this. Number one, I don't think so. I don't think so and I'm not covering myself. I don't think so, but by asking the question would not suggest that I think so. But the one thing I would say, the league does own the team, does it not?

Stern: Yes

Rome: Does that not make the question fair?

Stern: I don't think so. Number 1, we sold and we're going to close it this week. We have already established our price. I think that if we had... that if it had gone to Michael Jordan, which was the next team up in terms of high percentage, Stern was taking care of his friend Michael and if it would have went to Brooklyn which is going to Bradley Center would have taken Brooklyn off of the mat. There's no winning.

OKCThunderUP
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
So he's implying that he rigged the lottery in the past, and no longer does? Since Jim Rome once beat his wife, and presumably no longer does?

I wouldn't read that much into it. He said the same thing at the Tim Donaghey press conference.

Cowboy Thunder
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't screw with a guy who is retiring :lol

swi7ch
06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Pwnd.

DuMa
06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Rome has never once had a history of beating his wife so the question Stern asked in response to the Lottery being fixed is somewhat justified. its an unfair question.

Thanks for confirming why I wont listen to Rome. The Jim Everett incident says all you need to know about Jim Rome.

RaininTwos
06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/06/13/jim-rome-asked-david-stern-about-the-nba-lottery-being-fixed-and-stern-responded-have-you-stopped-beating-your-wife/

Link with Audio below!

Recap:

I cant get the shit to work:(

Jordan-esque
06-13-2012, 03:07 PM
I cant get the shit to work:(
I edited my original post and printed the recap in text :cheers:

Reverend Hoops
06-13-2012, 03:10 PM
LOL @ Jim Rome telling Stern to get on a plane and go to Seattle.

305Baller
06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Stern getting sensitive and testy.

:lol

InfiniteBaskets
06-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Link with Audio below!

Wow, the end of that interview was awkward as hell lol. Both Rome and Stern getting frustrated with each other.

Rose
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

CelticBaller
06-13-2012, 03:19 PM
:applause:

fsvr54
06-13-2012, 03:19 PM
ROFL

Stern goes hard!

InfiniteBaskets
06-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Well to some degree, Stern is right. Jim Rome asked a few questions / made a few comments to provoke Stern. Stern responded in an annoyed way, and now all of a sudden Rome's interview is getting all sorts of hits.

IGOTGAME
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Stern goes hard.

But that was unprofessional on Stern's part.

Rake2204
06-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Best line:

"Listen I gotta go call somebody important, like Stephen A. Smith."

http://i51.tinypic.com/rs6dzt.jpg

Shepseskaf
06-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Nobody can do anything to Stern, so he just doesn't give a fck.

Kujo
06-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Funny how things didn't get contentious after Stern said that, and not until did later in interview when Stern said he asked the ? for cheap thrills.

Stupid question to ask to Jim Rome, though Stern's response was pretty classless.

Stern is a gangsta.

Meticode
06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
:roll:

RoseCity07
06-13-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm not so sure people understand what Stern said. He didn't mean it literally. Asking someone if they beat their wife is one of the most famous examples of a loaded question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

Kujo
06-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm not so sure people understand what Stern said. He didn't mean it literally. Asking someone if they beat their wife is one of the most famous examples of a loaded question.

Thanks for this. Makes sense.

Flagrant 2
06-13-2012, 03:46 PM
He used a phrased that's used by lawyers. Basically saying there's no right answer, you're guilty if you say yes, you're guilty if you say no.

Rake2204
06-13-2012, 03:49 PM

I did not know this. I will presume many will ignore this and carry on with statements concerning Rome's having never having a history of beating his wife.

IGOTGAME
06-13-2012, 03:51 PM
I did not know this. I will presume many will ignore this and carry on with statements concerning Rome's having never having a history of beating his wife.

and some people won't listen to the segment and hear how Stern insulted Jim Rome's show.

TheBluest
06-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Stern is the worst person ever, really he is and I've been saying this for some time now....

WCE=WORST COMMISH EVER

Sarcastic
06-13-2012, 03:56 PM
With audio:

http://deadspin.com/5918141/david-stern-asked-jim-rome-have-you-stopped-beating-your-wife-yet-as-todays-interview-turned-ugly

Rake2204
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dstZTHdMn8U

TheBluest
06-13-2012, 04:02 PM

It's unprofessional and not to mention Rome and his wife may have had domestic violence issues in the past

RoseCity07
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM
It's unprofessional and not to mention Rome and his wife may have had domestic violence issues in the past

I still don't think you get it. The very reason he asked that question is the tell Jim Rome that asking if the lottery is rigged is a unprofessional question to ask. Stern isn't out of line here at all.

IGOTGAME
06-13-2012, 04:08 PM
I still don't think you get it. The very reason he asked that question is the tell Jim Rome that asking if the lottery is rigged is a unprofessional question to ask. Stern isn't out of line here at all.

why did he go at Rome's career?

kumquat
06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
lol dirty jew

ShawnieMac06
06-13-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm listening to the replay on Fox Sports Radio...Stern sounded like a complete horse's ass. Rome's no saint either, based on prior history of sometimes baiting his interview subjects at times, but to make a personal comment like towards Rome and his wife was completely out-of-line.

dazzer87
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Stern..............Went HAM on Rome..........:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

TheBluest
06-13-2012, 04:16 PM

No it's not because it's a question the public wish they could ask themselves if given the chance. The reporters/media are to a large degree an extension of the fans.

No different than when Chuck got busted for DUI a few yrs back and he was questioned and talked about it openly on TNT. Why? Because the public wanted to know his situation and how he and TNT were working together to make positive out of a very negative situation

The proper way to address the question professionally even if you feel it was unprofessional is to say just that..."The Question Is Unprofessional In It's Context Of Asking or Nature"

Then proceed how to answer it professionally. I mean he was sat down by a female ESPN reporter a couple weeks back and asked prior to draft about the integrity of the lottery. He was salty then but handled himself a tad bit more professionally.

Then to bring up SAS towards the end big upping him shows his butt hurt, child like, hypocriful behavior. Yeah the same SAS that called your refs out for nearly trashing a series on national T.V. only for you to force that network to the take the video down within less than 24hrs of it happening.

Stern is a Mockery of Himself always has been always will be

This coming from a commissioner who has refs make calls in games primarily when they see retaliation. Isn't that what this clown just did? He lashed out after the fact..... therefore

double technical fouls

automatic ejection

step down and get as far away from this league as possible

jbot
06-13-2012, 04:17 PM
wow, that's a pretty low blow. can't believe stern stepped out of his professional mode and said that.

Soundwave
06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Wow :oldlol:

I think that was a low blow. Stern seems like he can be a vindictive mofo.

CLTHornets4eva
06-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Stern needs to step down. Not because of this conversation but due the growing illigitimacy of the league. It began with the 1985 lottery to the KIngs Vs. Lakers, Donague, recent officiating, flopping, the voided trade, ownership of the Hornets and most recently the lottery of 2012 and a childish conversation with Jim Rome.

The NBA is being run by a Mafia lawyer that beats his fat cow wife. Just die David Stern.

mobbdeep
06-13-2012, 04:51 PM
stay classy commish stay classy

TheBluest
06-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Stern needs to step down. Not because of this conversation but due the growing illigitimacy of the league. It began with the 1985 lottery to the KIngs Vs. Lakers, Donague, recent officiating, flopping, the voided trade, ownership of the Hornets and most recently the lottery of 2012 and a childish conversation with Jim Rome.

The NBA is being run by a Mafia lawyer that beats his fat cow wife. Just die David Stern.

Let's not forget the Palace Brawl/Draft Age Limit/2 shortened NBA seasons/Kings Ownership Debacle/Olympic Team Disaster/Horrific All-Star Weekends...etc etc etc

His Laundry List is so filthy and dirty

1987_Lakers
06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Rome was acting like an ass before he brought up the Lottery.

Stern: Everyone in OKC is so nice to me, I'm not use to it.

Rome: Maybe you should take a flight to Seattle and see how they treat you over there.

:roll:

strifed169
06-13-2012, 05:02 PM
rofl I thought Stern was 100% robot, guess not

bagelred
06-13-2012, 05:02 PM
lol dirty jew

Actually both Stern and Rome are Jewish.

u mad? :confusedshrug:

KeyNote
06-13-2012, 05:54 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5dvdlK8QP1qc4mk0o1_500.gif

RidonKs
06-13-2012, 06:04 PM
damned if he do, damned if he don't

plenty to criticize with the way stern's run the league. absolutely nothing to criticize about the way he handled that interview with a c*ckwad like rome. didn't beat around the bush, told it like it was, dismissed the stupid question, clearly wanted to move the convo onto something more interesting while jim continued pestering him about admitting the legitimacy of that retarded question, lazily drift through interview with loudmouth riled up reporter, tongue held firmly in cheek

and then the perfect KO finisher

well done commish, well done

ILLsmak
06-13-2012, 06:07 PM
yea that shit is funny. lol.

Especially since he said STILL.

Was pretty classless but sometimes you just gotta check someone. Reminds me of Jim Everett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVhwCzWrna0

-Smak

G-train
06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Some posters still seem to think "Do you still beat your wife?" was a literal statement, it's a common saying.

GOBB
06-13-2012, 06:49 PM
So why does Stern even go on Jim Rome? He was annoyed from the start. He's not obligated to go on Jim Rome show. He knows what Jim Rome show is about. Yet you go on annoyed and get even more annoyed. Doesnt make sense.

Its like entering a PleezeBelieve, 28enyoy (however his dumb name is spelled) and getting all :rant :banghead: . You know from the jump when you enter their threads what you will get. Why put yourself through it?

:confusedshrug:

Funny line tho by Stern even tho he acted unprofessional.

DirtySanchez
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM
So why does Stern even go on Jim Rome? He was annoyed from the start. He's not obligated to go on Jim Rome show. He knows what Jim Rome show is about. Yet you go on annoyed and get even more annoyed. Doesnt make sense.

Its like entering a PleezeBelieve, 28enyoy (however his dumb name is spelled) and getting all :rant :banghead: . You know from the jump when you enter their threads what you will get. Why put yourself through it?

Exactly.

Like walking to a bar with a rainbow flag in the front and then saying...where all the ladies at?

tmacattack33
06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Some posters still seem to think "Do you still beat your wife?" was a literal statement, it's a common saying.

Well apparently its not that common anymore, since mostly everyone is taking it literally.

NumberSix
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
It's just a common phrase to reference a straw man argument. Jeez. Do you people know anything?

tmacattack33
06-13-2012, 07:06 PM
It's just a common phrase to reference a straw man argument. Jeez. Do you people know anything?

Based on Rome's response...i don't think he knew wtf stern was talking about either.

ThunderKat
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
He used a phrased that's used by lawyers. Basically saying there's no right answer, you're guilty if you say yes, you're guilty if you say no.

Yeah, he just didn't phrase it right. It's answer yes or no: Do you still beat your wife?

bagelred
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Yes but it got even stranger when Rome said "How did you know about that?"

Magic 32
06-13-2012, 07:11 PM
lol dirty jew

Wealthier and smarter than you though.

:banana:

UtahJazzFan88
06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Rome is an instigator, but I honestly didn't have a problem one bit of the questions he was asking. Many people think the same thing and Rome was trying to inform or at least get a bit of an answer. Stern acted unprofessional, don't understand why he decided to be on the show if he was in an annoyed mood.

bagelred
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM

Does George Bush regret murdering a million Iraqis?

ihatetimthomas
06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
It was really a dumb question to ask though. I mean, what was he hoping to get out of it? Was he hoping he would admit it was rigged? It really was just for cheap thrills. It was a silly question. All he wanted to do was ask a controversial question to get him riled up. He wasnt going to get any answer other than "No."

D-Rose
06-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Stern could have handled the question a lot more professionally, he came off as insecure and defensive to me, and honestly it is a very fair question to ponder.

ConanRulesNBC
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm not a Jim Rome fan but this was a fair question to ask. Even if it wasn't rigged how could David Stern not expect people to wonder why an NBA owned team that was recently sold got the 1st pick in the draft.

dyna
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM

This^

GOBB
06-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Based on Rome's response...i don't think he knew wtf stern was talking about either.

Neither did I. I'm not understanding why folks are acting like Stern's response was something that everyone and their mama should have got. I mean I get you got it. And by the way thanks for letting me in on the statement. Doesnt mean its common. Common in regards to who? :confusedshrug:

Like you said even Jim Rome took it literal it seemed in his response when Stern threw it at him. Or maybe his response went over my heard (implying he understood what Stern did) and I'm 0-2.

But I'll take another poster chiming in with the wikipedia meaning again. Common (see what i did there), one more time guys.

BuGzBuNNy
06-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Signed on to ISH and was like..

:basketball

Read through thread titles and come across, David Stern to Jim Rome: "Do you still beat your wife?" and was like..

:kobe:

Clicked on http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Yi2kH4U7E8A and was like..

:lebronamazed:

Blue&Orange
06-13-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm not a Jim Rome fan but this was a fair question to ask. Even if it wasn't rigged how could David Stern not expect people to wonder why an NBA owned team that was recently sold got the 1st pick in the draft.
I bet you never wonderer how the 9th worst record with 1% chance of winning the lottery ended up with Derrick Rose.

Yung D-Will
06-13-2012, 08:21 PM
You know something about Stern's just reminds me of Newt Gingrich

tmacattack33
06-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Neither did I. I'm not understanding why folks are acting like Stern's response was something that everyone and their mama should have got. I mean I get you got it. And by the way thanks for letting me in on the statement. Doesnt mean its common. Common in regards to who? :confusedshrug:

Like you said even Jim Rome took it literal it seemed in his response when Stern threw it at him. Or maybe his response went over my heard (implying he understood what Stern did) and I'm 0-2.

But I'll take another poster chiming in with the wikipedia meaning again. Common (see what i did there), one more time guys.

I didn't get it either and ive never heard anyone say that until someone dropped that wikipedia link about that phrase.

Collie
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Did he REALLY expect Stern to say yes? That's a pretty stupid question.

dunksby
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Stern is right to be extremely pissed when some random asshole easily shits on the integrity of the entire NBA and consequently his own. No respectable professional journalist would ever dare insult the league like that.

NuggetsFan
06-13-2012, 09:23 PM

lol how does that translate to asking if the NBA lottery is rigged. Seriously. If he talked about fouls being called too much, flopping, too many techs, NBA favoring superstars etc. I would agree 100%

Asking if the NBA lottery is rigged is ridiculous. Even if it was .. your on a radio station. What's the point? You know he's simply going to say no. Stupid move by Jim Rome that deserved a stupid response. Unprofessional line by Stern but it's not like it deserved any better.

TheBluest
06-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Stern is right to be extremely pissed when some random asshole easily shits on the integrity of the entire NBA and consequently his own. No respectable professional journalist would ever dare insult the league like that.

Change the Font or Font color so we can sense the seriousness

Joshumitsu
06-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Hopefully Stern uses his mafia ties to make sure Rome gets properly taken care of.

YAWN
06-13-2012, 09:54 PM
stern sounds like such a douche there. hope the next guy is a bit more likable.

Scholar
06-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Stern is a jackass. He could've answered that question without sounding like a total douche bag, but apparently the Commissioner is losing his sense of reality. :facepalm

To top it all off, Jim Rome continues to be respectful, even when Stern talks about going on Stephen A. Smith's show.

Much respect for Jimmy here.

JMT
06-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks for confirming why I wont listen to Rome. The Jim Everett incident says all you need to know about Jim Rome.

This. Rome panders to an audience of a-holes.

Stat & Melo
06-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Jim completely understood what stern meant by saying "do you still beat your wife". He was however offended when stern questioned his career by saying something along the lines of "you've made a career out of this"

Then gym was pissed because stern was basically saying the only reason you're successful is because you bait people in hopes to get a reaction. since Jim's career really kicked off after that Everett interview. So basicallyhe was stating that youre successful Cus of stuff like that which Jim obviously took offense too.

That's my two cents after hearing that.

04mzwach
06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Rome is a douche..

tmacattack33
06-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Jim completely understood what stern meant by saying "do you still beat your wife". He was however offended when stern questioned his career by saying something along the lines of "you've made a career out of this"

Then gym was pissed because stern was basically saying the only reason you're successful is because you bait people in hopes to get a reaction. since Jim's career really kicked off after that Everett interview. So basicallyhe was stating that youre successful Cus of stuff like that which Jim obviously took offense too.

That's my two cents after hearing that.

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Im not laughing at you by the way...i do the same many times with homonyms (or whatever u call them).

04mzwach
06-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Stern is a jackass. He could've answered that question without sounding like a total douche bag, but apparently the Commissioner is losing his sense of reality. :facepalm

To top it all off, Jim Rome continues to be respectful, even when Stern talks about going on Stephen A. Smith's show.

Much respect for Jimmy here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczUKTwgqeY

DStebb716
06-13-2012, 10:50 PM
I wish Rome would've knocked his arrogant ass out. No reason to cross that line, Rome had every right to ask that question. The fact that Stern got so offended shows that he is insecure about something. The lottery isn't rigged (I do believe it probably has been at some point, but no longer is). Is that what he is insecure about, or is there something else he's hiding?

DStebb716
06-13-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczUKTwgqeY

That was a ridiculously long time ago. Rome has balls, but he's respectful now. He's good journalism and entertainment.

04mzwach
06-13-2012, 11:04 PM
That was a ridiculously long time ago. Rome has balls, but he's respectful now. He's good journalism and entertainment.
Yup.

NuggetsFan
06-13-2012, 11:07 PM
No reason to cross that line, Rome had every right to ask that question.

Stern may have crossed a line but Rome does first. He does NOT have every right to ask that question. It's a stupid question and he was looking for a rise. You can ask tough questions, not denying that. Is the lottery rigged? That's like me walking up to you and saying hey can I f*ck your GF? :confusedshrug:

Any person with a brain cell knows the response is going to be no it's not. There's no reason to even bring it up and to do so is only adding to speculation that hurts the NBA's\Sterns image.

It's quite obvious what Rome was trying to do.

oh the horror
06-13-2012, 11:07 PM
What gets me is....why is Stern, SO pissy about it? He's super defiant and defensive. Why get that worked up if you just think its ridiculous?

No reason to get MAD.

JtotheIzzo
06-13-2012, 11:09 PM
David Stern was on Jim Rome's show today. Rome asked Stern "Was the NBA lottery rigged?" to which Stern replied, "Do you still beat your wife?"

Asshole move for sure, but why is Rome asking such a stupid question? He kind of deserved that reply by Stern.

Link to the audio:

Jim Rome beats his wife? God, I didn't think there would be a way to hate him more, but wow! There is.

NuggetsFan
06-13-2012, 11:11 PM
What gets me is....why is Stern, SO pissy about it? He's super defiant and defensive. Why get that worked up if you just think its ridiculous?

No reason to get MAD.

His response was pretty stupid but I can understand getting upset. Question like that just fuel the fire. It fuels theories that hurt the NBA and Sterns image. Stern was good enough to go on the air, there's no need for something as stupid as that to be talked about.

Regardless of what Stern responded with people were going to end up discussing it. It'd continue to fuel the fire which has already heated up quite abit this year.

hawksdogsbraves
06-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I wish Rome would've knocked his arrogant ass out. No reason to cross that line, Rome had every right to ask that question. The fact that Stern got so offended shows that he is insecure about something. The lottery isn't rigged (I do believe it probably has been at some point, but no longer is). Is that what he is insecure about, or is there something else he's hiding?

No, he doesn't have a right to ask that question. It's a gotcha question, and he's asking it only to put Stern on the spot and get a rise out of him.

Which, as it turns out, it exactly what it did. And now people are actually talking about Rome for the first time in years and will probably actually tune in to his show this week.

He's a garbage journalist, absolute bottom of the barrel. A sports shock jock.

04mzwach
06-13-2012, 11:21 PM
It was clear Stern wasn't in a great mood to start the conversation. Great timing for Rome to ask a question like that.

LBJMVP
06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
so rome questions the commissioner on the authenticy of the league.

stern replies with a loaded question... the most common one according to that wikepdia link to which there is no right or wrong answer

rome completely understands what stern is saying when he asks if he stopped beating his wife.

seems like stern made a pretty fair comment.
there is no right answer.

he said it right.
if anyone won the lottery it was rigged, and if the team was sold to anyone of the people trying to buy the hornets it was for a certain reason.

d.bball.guy
06-13-2012, 11:31 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/victory/grand/yes_5656.gif

DStebb716
06-13-2012, 11:50 PM
In journalism, when people are talking a lot about something, you have to bring it up even if the question has an obvious answer. It's all about how the person states their answer, not necessarily about the answer itself. Rome aced this because Stern made himself look like a fool.

Rome is a good journalist for what he does. He isn't here to bring news, he isn't here to report subtle opinions... he's a dramatic entertainment journalist (not an official title obviously). He is there to get people to give you something to talk about, he is there himself to give you something to talk about. And voila, a 7-page thread.

ClutchOver9000
06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
:lol holy shit...ok Stern...

surprised I am...

TheBigVeto
06-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Stern is losing it. If the Heat loses it'll drive him over the edge.

ConanRulesNBC
06-14-2012, 12:18 AM
I bet you never wonderer how the 9th worst record with 1% chance of winning the lottery ended up with Derrick Rose.

Why would Stern help the Bulls out after having the GOAT?

MiseryCityTexas
06-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Stern's response to the question makes me feel that the NBA is rigged for real.

Heavincent
06-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Stern got so butthurt that he just looks more suspicious now :oldlol:

Pushxx
06-14-2012, 12:31 AM
As has been pointed out, it's not a literal question...sorry to burst your bubbles...

Stern was just trying to demonstrate Rome's question was absurd by asking him an equally absurd question. "Do you still beat your wife" is a classic example of a loaded question.

spiegel
06-14-2012, 12:33 AM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/victory/grand/yes_5656.gif
physico alert.

LakersReign
06-14-2012, 12:44 AM

Link to the audio:

Stern immediately being defensive about the question, only raises more questions. If there's nothing there, then answer the question and more on. The fact that he felt the need to go for a "low blow" even when everything's supposedly legit, just makes him look bad.

ukfan22
06-14-2012, 01:08 AM
if you REALLY think the lottery is rigged, do some research about the actual process

if, afterwards, you still think it's rigged, kill yourself

DJ Leon Smith
06-14-2012, 01:29 AM
if you REALLY think the lottery is rigged, do some research about the actual process

if, afterwards, you still think it's rigged, kill yourself

That's not the point though. Stern's reaction has made more people discuss it and more people question the process when he could have diffused it easily - Rome was even leading him into a "that's a silly thing to say <list the legal safeguards in place to make sure it's not rigged>" answer.

G-train
06-14-2012, 01:35 AM

Or maybe he is legitimately upset that many people are questioning his integrity.

Da Hammer
06-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Honestly whether it's rigged or not, Stern's reaction just screams being defensive and on edge. Makes the league look bad and himself look unprofessional. Romo has every right to ask that question because it's obvious that many people believe that. Stern could have handled it in a much more mature way.

amfirst
06-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Of course it rigged why would anyone hide the ball. You have to be an idiot to believe otherwise. puahhaha the world is full of crooks and liars. Don't be gullible.

ukfan22
06-14-2012, 01:54 AM
That's not the point though. Stern's reaction has made more people discuss it and more people question the process when he could have diffused it easily - Rome was even leading him into a "that's a silly thing to say <list the legal safeguards in place to make sure it's not rigged>" answer.

It's a stupid question and got the response it deserved

bluechox2
06-14-2012, 02:26 AM
stern basically implying that he rigged it by not denying it also

All Net
06-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Wow that got real personal real quick....

Is He Ill
06-14-2012, 03:24 AM
That Stephen A. Smith comment was a dick move and completely unprofessional. He is the commish for god's sake.

DJ Leon Smith
06-14-2012, 03:25 AM
It's a stupid question and got the response it deserved

Even if you think it's stupid, it's making the rounds in public discussion and Rome wouldn't be doing his job as a journalist if he didn't ask it. Rome even brought it up in a way for Stern to dismiss it as a stupid rumor but instead he gave it even more legs.

socomberetta
06-14-2012, 03:29 AM
The part that got me was when Stern had Rome mad with the cheap thrills comment and Stern was like, "Oh, are you mad? How delightful."

LBJMVP
06-14-2012, 03:33 AM
The part that got me was when Stern had Rome mad with the cheap thrills comment and Stern was like, "Oh, are you mad? How delightful."

yup. it was a great interview, but the part that the title is quoted after should not be over analyzed.

it a quote from a "loaded question" that is very common according to wikipedia.

but rome did make a great interview, and it got stern very agitated.

Clippersfan86
06-14-2012, 03:36 AM

:bowdown: :bowdown: No troll on ISH is worthy of holding Stern's troll nuts.

konex
06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Stern overreacted there. Seemed like Rome was just giving him a jovial question to easily swat down :hammerhead:

I.R.Beast
06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Rome has never once had a history of beating his wife so the question Stern asked in response to the Lottery being fixed is somewhat justified. its an unfair question.

I Hate Jim Rome more than i do Stern... D Stern is a G, he owned Rome.

305Baller
06-14-2012, 12:29 PM

this

dunksby
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Damn too many idiots here supporting another idiot. Asking if the lottery was rigged undermines the integrity of the ENTIRE NBA including your favorite teams and their management and their players and anyone who is involved in this. This Rome moron has no evidence to support this serious accusation and Stern could easily haul his ass to a court and sue the living **** out of him.

305Baller
06-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Damn too many idiots here supporting another idiot. Asking if the lottery was rigged undermines the integrity of the ENTIRE NBA including your favorite teams and their management and their players and anyone who is involved in this. This Rome moron has no evidence to support this serious accusation and Stern could easily haul his ass to a court and sue the living **** out of him.

:wtf:

mentallooser
06-14-2012, 12:41 PM
For those of you won't don't get this at all. Here is a link explaining this common quote.

DirtySanchez
06-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Crazy exchange...

But more then anything Stern sounds like he is hiding something.
It's obvious right? Stern is a c0ck blocking mofo...touche Stern touche.

TheBluest
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Without fans there is no NBA

Without the media there is no NBA

Both work hand in hand with each other to a large degree. The media is the extension of the fan base. If Stern was at a summit Q&A open to the public he would have had an unspecified number of fans wanting to ask him the same question or close to it

Let's use a more mature mind here.

Rome wasn't asking him so much to answer the question Yes or No. What he was asking Stern is to use the platform he had at the moment to ease a conspiracy theory fan base as much as possible with the results from the lottery and the process in general.

Stern once again could have responded and told him the question at it's face value wasn't fair....then go on to answer NO but then review some finer details of the lottery process again to quell some of the skepticism.

Any professional in such an environment that is broad and vast with customers from all walks of life like the NBA, must conduct themselves professionally because not all are astute in mind nor reasoning. Not to mention his response no matter how common or uncommon it is was insensitive to those who are ignorant to the meaning primarily those of the NBA fan base who been involved in domestic violence issues.

Stern got pushed in the back by Rome..... due to his brass and pompous persona Stern proceeded to elbow Rome in the back of the neck temple area Ron Artest style retaliation....therefore automatic suspension for Stern according to Stern's way of doing things

NobleDrewAli
06-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Stern has been on Rome's shows for years and they've always had a bit of a contentious relationship, but it's usually playful banter abou the WNBA and sh!t like that... bottom-line here is that Stern came off as a major league assshat ... just shows what an egomaniacal bully he has become... dood used to be the greatest commissioner in the history of sports but is now basically a cartoonish mockery of his former self... maybe 28 years is just too long to have that much power without becoming a complete prick.

the other thing, i think rome knew what the "are you still beating your wife" comment meant, i knew what it meant, but it's clear from prior posts here that a LOT of folks took it as rome actually used to beat his wife and stern knew that a significant segment of rome's audience wouldn't be aware of using a loaded question as a rhetorical tool...

305Baller
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Without fans there is no NBA

Without the media there is no NBA

Both work hand in hand with each other to a large degree. The media is the extension of the fan base. If Stern was at a summit Q&A open to the public he would have had an unspecified number of fans wanting to ask him the same question or close to it

Let's use a more mature mind here.

Rome wasn't asking him so much to answer the question Yes or No. What he was asking Stern is to use the platform he had at the moment to ease a conspiracy theory fan base as much as possible with the results from the lottery and the process in general.

Stern once again could have responded and told him the question at it's face value wasn't fair....then go on to answer NO but then review some finer details of the lottery process again to quell some of the skepticism.

Any professional in such an environment that is broad and vast with customers from all walks of life like the NBA, must conduct themselves professionally because not all are astute in mind nor reasoning. Not to mention his response no matter how common or uncommon it is was insensitive to those who are ignorant to the meaning primarily those of the NBA fan base who been involved in domestic violence issues.

Stern got pushed in the back by Rome..... due to his brass and pompous persona Stern proceeded to elbow Rome in the back of the neck temple area Ron Artest style retaliation....therefore automatic suspension for Stern according to Stern's way of doing things

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/6223/shnod.gif

no pun intended
06-14-2012, 01:33 PM
stern sounds like such a douche there. hope the next guy is a bit more likable.
Adam Silver? He sucks too.

Rake2204
06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't care much to deconstruct this exchange. I don't particularly think there's a ton to be read into things, in regards to the folks who believe Stern's annoyance insinuates a conspiracy and whatnot. I just thought the interview was flat out entertaining. Of all the athletic commissioners I've watched or listened to throughout my life, David Stern is my favorite. Many of his moves are not popular, though often they are moves that are agreeable with me in terms of logic. On top of that, his wit appears to be dry, and I enjoy that.

Heavincent
06-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Adam Silver? He sucks too.

Yep. All of these guys are twisted crooks and should never be trusted.

Troutfisch
06-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I am both shocked and humored by this exchange, especially towards the end where Rome got offended...:lol

BarberSchool
06-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Excellent post.

no pun intended
06-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Rome- That was not a cheap thrill. We are all just wondering about it.

Stern- Well, it's a cheap trick.

Rome- No, flopping is a cheap trick.

THIS GUY IS A JOKER.

longtime lurker
06-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Wow Emperor Stern strikes again. This guy is a complete ass-hole. I do like how he used his lawyer tricks to turn the conversation back onto Rome :lol But this guy was way out of line at some points in the interview.

bada bing
06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Stern should get in trouble for that Wife beating comment. He needs to come out and apologize for that comment and something needs to be done.

the guy rules over the league and the players with an iron fist and suspends and/or fines everyone on will. Players are not allowed to make such comments yet he goes out and says it? The guy truly acted as an a-hole.

Jim Rome is a true a$$ and this is what he does. Stern should have known this and behaved like a commissioner and not Ron Artest.

L8k3r5
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Stern has been on Rome's shows for years and they've always had a bit of a contentious relationship, but it's usually playful banter abou the WNBA and sh!t like that... bottom-line here is that Stern came off as a major league assshat ... just shows what an egomaniacal bully he has become... dood used to be the greatest commissioner in the history of sports but is now basically a cartoonish mockery of his former self... maybe 28 years is just too long to have that much power without becoming a complete prick.

the other thing, i think rome knew what the "are you still beating your wife" comment meant, i knew what it meant, but it's clear from prior posts here that a LOT of folks took it as rome actually used to beat his wife and stern knew that a significant segment of rome's audience wouldn't be aware of using a loaded question as a rhetorical tool...
Then what did it mean exactly?

ZenMaster
06-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Then what did it mean exactly?

A loaded question is a question which contains a controversial or unjustified assumption, e.g., a presumption of guilt.[1]
Aside from being a logical fallacy, such questions may be used as a rhetorical tool: the question attempts to limit direct replies to be those that serve the questioner's agenda.[2] The traditional example is the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Whether the respondent answers yes or no, he will admit to having a wife, and having beaten her at some time in the past. Thus, these facts are presupposed by the question, and in this case an entrapment, because it narrows the respondent to a single answer, and the fallacy of many questions has been committed.[2]