PDA

View Full Version : Movies that you didn't understand

Deuce Bigalow
06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
For me:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fgB9TBCqr7o/T5NP0GrsHsI/AAAAAAAAHVU/7P5__fSsz7s/s1600/mulholland_drive_ver1.jpg

Can someone explain it to me? It made no sense to me.

G-Funk
06-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Shutter Island = Was he crazy or did he get tricked?

Inception = What the **** happened in the end, was he stuck or wtF????

Deuce Bigalow
06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Shutter island
I'll explain it. The main character (DiCaprio) had a traumatic event that caused him to go mentally insane. He came home while his wife was drowning his kids. That messed his mind up. I dont remember exactly but I think he killed his wife, and that is why he was sent to Shutter Island in the first place. So while he's at the institution he thinks he's an investigator there, while he's actually a patient that needs help, and at the end he realizes that. So he was crazy.
I loved that movie btw.

That movie didn't make sense AT ALL to me.

Heavincent
06-14-2012, 08:22 PM

That's open to interpretation. I think he's insane though.

ConanRulesNBC
06-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Both movies were difficult to understand at the end and both had Leonardo DiCaprio.

Both were great movies though.

Qwyjibo
06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Southland Tales.

Then after reading that you needed to read a series of prequel comics to understand the movie a bit better, I didn't want to understand that goddamn mess.

RaininTwos
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Not every movie has a meaning.

LamarOdom
06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Both Inception and Shutter Island was made to mindfucc with us viewers. But Scorsese said that the movie was open for different interpretations.

DEADPOOLZOMBIE
06-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Southland Tales.

Then after reading that you needed to read a series of prequel comics to understand the movie a bit better, I didn't want to understand that goddamn mess.
Sometimes you cant understand or reason out a movie because its bad. That applies to Southern Tales.

DEADPOOLZOMBIE
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Both Inception and Shutter Island was made to mindfucc with us viewers. But Scorsese said that the movie was open for different interpretations.
Just like the Dennis Lehane said the novel was suppose to be, open to interpretation.

chips93
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
i watched moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/) earlier today, and it lost me towards the end

LamarOdom
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Just like the Dennis Lehane said the novel was suppose to be, open to interpretation.

Don't know who that is but I guess he is the one who wrote the book?

Stuckey
06-14-2012, 08:56 PM
i watched moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/) earlier today, and it lost me towards the end

spoilers:

he's a clone that lives on the moon to man the station, there are lots of other clones of him too, then he escapes back to earth

DEADPOOLZOMBIE
06-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Don't know who that is but I guess he is the one who wrote the book?
Yes, he is the one that authored the awesome novel.

iamgine
06-14-2012, 09:32 PM

Shutter Island: Leo's character had a very traumatic event that he cannot live with so he assumed someone else's identity. The mental institution were trying a new method where they would play along and set up a scenario so Leo would realize by himself that he's not that person. At the very end, he had a moment of clarity where he realize who he was and what happened to him but pretended not to. He chose to be lobotomized than live with the memory.

jamal99
06-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Primer
Wtf was that all about? :lol

sunsfan1357
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
For as many times as I've watched it I don't think I ever fully figured out Memento.

Rake2204
06-14-2012, 10:07 PM
For me:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fgB9TBCqr7o/T5NP0GrsHsI/AAAAAAAAHVU/7P5__fSsz7s/s1600/mulholland_drive_ver1.jpg

The moment I read your thread title, that was the first movie that came to mind. I am intrigued by movies that have deep meanings and must be unlocked with detailed and possibly repeated viewings. However, I'm not as much of a fan of movies that intentionally leave mysteries to be mysteries (not counting interpretative ending scenes). I think Mulholland Drive straddles a dangerous line between clever and weird for the sake of being weird.

In all honesty, ten years ago I counted Mulholland Drive amongst my favorite movies but only because I was trying to be hipster by liking something other folks didn't know or understand (not that I understood anything). Nowadays, I just find the film to be creepy and uncomfortable. Either way, I'm betting you've Google'd meanings behind the flick. If not, here's a link to one person's interpretation: http://www.awardspeculation.com/mulhollanddrive.html

LockoutOver11
06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
silent hill..

i guess.

not understanding inception or shutter island on ur second view, then give up.

-p.tiddy-
06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
yeah Primer and Momento

watched them both only one time though...maybe a second viewing would do the trick

Scholar
06-14-2012, 10:16 PM
I watched Inception while stoned the first time and I didn't understand shit. It pissed me off. Then I watched it some time last year while sober and it blew my mind.

flipogb
06-14-2012, 10:52 PM
I didn't exactly not "get" the movie, but The Prestige's ending seems kind of open to interpretation right? theres lots of discussions online and none seem to be the final answer

Deuce Bigalow
06-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Primer
Wtf was that all about? :lol
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. :lol I was clueless.

Styles p
06-14-2012, 10:58 PM
gummo

CelticBaller
06-14-2012, 10:59 PM

he a sane man in a concentration camp :D

Stuckey
06-14-2012, 11:37 PM
For as many times as I've watched it I don't think I ever fully figured out Memento.

SPOILERS
the dirty cop uses him to kill off drug dealers and steal their sh1t, what's not to get?

falc39
06-14-2012, 11:45 PM
the fountain....

Stuckey
06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
the fountain....

two stories, one to save his wife from dying, the other to find the tree of life

the pursuit leads to disaster, one must accept death. that's basically the theme

DEADPOOLZOMBIE
06-15-2012, 12:19 AM
two stories, one to save his wife from dying, the other to find the tree of life

the pursuit leads to disaster, one must accept death. that's basically the theme
Thats one simplistic way of looking at it, yeah.

Timmy D for MVP
06-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Primer.

Draz
06-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Shutter island.

Stuckey
06-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Primer.

there's one scene in the movie i still dont get, someone attacks them a random guy

but the movie was fairly easy to comprehend to enjoy

Timmy D for MVP
06-15-2012, 04:11 AM
The Science of Sleep

He Was a Quiet Man

Countless other Netflix adventures I've had.

I enjoy watching a good "what did I just watch." movie every now and again.

Jasi
06-15-2012, 06:17 AM
I didn't exactly not "get" the movie, but The Prestige's ending seems kind of open to interpretation right? theres lots of discussions online and none seem to be the final answer

How is it open?
Just curious, I might have missed something.

As for Inception, it's open on purpose I guess.

Shutter Island, I think it's safe to say that he's actually crazy and delusional.

Nick Young
06-15-2012, 06:25 AM
The prestige. I know because it is supposed to be alot deeper than what we saw but i didnt get any of it. I can tell because there's still essays being written on IMDB arguing what the movie is really about and pointing out all these tiny little foreshadowing thingies.

embersyc
06-15-2012, 07:01 AM
The prestige. I know because it is supposed to be alot deeper than what we saw but i didnt get any of it. I can tell because there's still essays being written on IMDB arguing what the movie is really about and pointing out all these tiny little foreshadowing thingies.

One guy can do the trick easily, because he is really twins. The other guy uses a machine from Tesla to do the trick. The machine makes a carbon copy of a person and disintegrates the original person. :confusedshrug:

pauk
06-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Inception.... i didnt get it....

JohnnySic
06-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Donnie Darko. Only watched it once, did not have a clue what it was about.

Nick Young
06-15-2012, 08:19 AM
One guy can do the trick easily, because he is really twins. The other guy uses a machine from Tesla to do the trick. The machine makes a carbon copy of a person and disintegrates the original person. :confusedshrug:
there's more to it then that, that's just the story on the surface, you should see all these essays and theories

B-Easy8
06-15-2012, 08:40 AM
I never had any doubts about Shutter Island. I thought that he realised who he really was but couldn't handle living with that memory so instead decided to be lobotomized.

bballnoob
06-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Synecdoche New York :biggums:

macmac
06-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Synecdoche New York :biggums:

lol that's a true mind fukk

Jasi
06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Donnie Darko. Only watched it once, did not have a clue what it was about.

Well if you like the whole "time travel" topic, that movie isn't so complicated.

***SPOILERS***

It really is about two alternative timelines: the one where Donnie survives the crash, which leads to the accidental death of the girl (don't remember her name) and Frank; and the one where Donnie dies in the crash, which doesn't lead to the fatal accident involving the girl and Frank.

One can argue about which one is the original and which one is the alternative but there are paradoxes in both cases so it's quite open.

falc39
06-15-2012, 10:33 AM

yes, that's good. then there is the whole flying through space in a bubble with the tree of life.

but point taken

pauk
06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
the fountain....

this to! :biggums:

pauk
06-15-2012, 11:51 AM
nonono... i got it... LOST HIGHWAY......... i have watched it a couple of times just to see wtf i missed...

There are some movies that are pretty confusing like Memento where you have to see it again but it all makes sense once you figure it out. Then there's movies like Donnie Darko that are incredibly confusing and require the director's cut to fill in the blanks.

And then you have a movie like Lost Highway... which is the most confusing of all confusing movies. I'm beginning to think there isn't even an answer to this movie and it's all just a bunch of random events that are weird for the sake of being weird, everybody has their own theory of what happened...

Let me see if I can peice this together... The dude gets a message that someone is dead, then he goes to a party where he's visited by some creepy mystery man who is most likey not real because he's in two places at once. Then he kills his wife, goes to jail, morphs into a younger dude, a bunch of crazy *beep* goes down like a snuff film with Marilyn Manson and he morphs back into himself for some even weirder *beep* from the mystery man. Then he goes home to deliver the same message to himself and screams a bunch.

So what does it all mean? I love lamp.

JohnnySic
06-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Let me see if I can peice this together... The dude gets a message that someone is dead, then he goes to a party where he's visited by some creepy mystery man who is most likey not real because he's in two places at once. Then he kills his wife, goes to jail, morphs into a younger dude, a bunch of crazy *beep* goes down like a snuff film with Marilyn Manson and he morphs back into himself for some even weirder *beep* from the mystery man. Then he goes home to deliver the same message to himself and screams a bunch.
*SPOILERS*

The guy killed his wife. The "younger guy" segment in the middle is a fantasy, his attempt to escape reality. As it goes along, there are clues that the fantasy is falling apart, up until he finally wakes up from it.

I love Lost Highway.

pauk
06-15-2012, 12:06 PM
*SPOILERS*

The guy killed his wife. The "younger guy" segment in the middle is a fantasy, his attempt to escape reality. As it goes along, there are clues that the fantasy is falling apart, up until he finally wakes up from it.

I love Lost Highway.

Everybody seem to have their own analysis of wtf was going on... its like this movie makes you create your own analysis... and each analysis can make sense, some book long and some short as yours, but none of the analysis are correct since this movie has no true/definite analysis, i mean there is no absolute solution to this movie.... David Lynch sure is the GOAT mindfukker :lol

Sarcastic
06-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Eraserhead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eraserhead

Director: David Lynch
Producer: David Lynch
Writer: David Lynch

Most bizarre movie I have ever seen.

pauk
06-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Eraserhead.

Yes! Forgot that one aswell.... seriously tho... David Lynch = GOAT mindfukker :applause:

kidachi
06-15-2012, 12:48 PM
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

I "got" it.. their point just didn't make sense to me..

Myth
06-15-2012, 01:16 PM

This part is incorrect. Both live through the machine, but he makes sure one always dies. The first time he does it, he shoots the other version of himself. All the other times, he drops the other self into something that kills him (the last time he does it he jumps into a large crate of water and drowns). He questions whether he is the one dying or if the clone is the one dying, but based on the location, it seems as though the original dies, thus he is essentially killing himself and letting his memories live on in his clone.

El Kabong
06-15-2012, 01:24 PM
*SPOILERS*

I love Lost Highway.
That's how I mostly saw it. I've always thought of it at kind of a m

BMOGEFan
06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
American Psycho...did he or did he not kill the people?

Or was everyone just a carbon copy of everyone else so no one knew who each other was?

OhNoTimNoSho
06-15-2012, 05:05 PM
That movie with hugh jackman and hes like a bunch of different people and ends up in a supernova... Couldnt understand wtf was going on

highwhey
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Or was everyone just a carbon copy of everyone else so no one knew who each other was?
this...i've watched it a few times already, is he imagining to be patrick? did he kill the people? the look that the lawyer gives him is ambigous, is he disturbed by what he thinks is an ongoing joke or does he know something? :confusedshrug:

RedBlackAttack
06-15-2012, 05:41 PM
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

I "got" it.. their point just didn't make sense to me..
We had a great thread about NCFOM a few years ago....

WTF happened in "No Country For Old Men?" (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69487&page=7)

....feel free to add your thoughts/questions/analysis.

HeyMarkus
06-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Only read the first page but wantd to say Shutter island is not open to interpretation. he was crazy for the length of the movie but at the end he snaps out of it and realizes what hes done. Not wanting to live this life anymore he makes a sane decision to continue to act crazy so he can be lobotomized/killed/whatever they do. I thought this was obvious... and on top of that, the author of the original book, the director of the movie and the actors have all made this public knowledge. If you didnt get it before reading this I suggest you watch again, FANTASTIC film.

Myth
06-15-2012, 09:19 PM

I always understood it as he did kill the people, but he had alibis because everybody confused each other since they all perfectly conform.

chips93
06-15-2012, 09:50 PM
spoilers:

he's a clone that lives on the moon to man the station, there are lots of other clones of him too, then he escapes back to earth

yeah i got all that, just at the end, where they bring another clone to life, and stick him in the crashed ship, i didnt understand why this was neccessary

ROCSteady
06-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Southland Tales.

Yea I had no idea what to think of that piece of shit movie. It made sense on like no levels, this is coming from a guy who actually liked both Donnie Darko and The Box, all from Richard Kelly.

ROCSteady
06-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Eraserhead.

Eraserhead is basically an unsettling and nightmarish representation of the anxiety and fear one has when they are about to have a child. It's really just all symbolism and graphic depictions that are representing emotions and inner turmoil.

leopoldstotch
06-15-2012, 10:17 PM
we can basically name every David Lynch movie, but I think the oddest movie ever was Inland Empire. You watch this, and go wtf am I just watching? :lol ... this on top of the Rabbits short in the film. Mindblowing.

Nevaeh
06-15-2012, 11:00 PM
I'll explain it. The main character (DiCaprio) had a traumatic event that caused him to go mentally insane. He came home while his wife was drowning his kids. That messed his mind up. I dont remember exactly but I think he killed his wife, and that is why he was sent to Shutter Island in the first place. So while he's at the institution he thinks he's an investigator there, while he's actually a patient that needs help, and at the end he realizes that. So he was crazy.
I loved that movie btw.

That movie didn't make sense AT ALL to me.

Nice breakdown Deuce. It was like the entire staff was just toying with him, and lead him back around to the cold hard truth, in order for him to finally start healing.

Nevaeh
06-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Titanic. That old woman, she's just a liar right?

I'm thinking. It ain't that much damn love in the world, dude.
http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif

-p.tiddy-
06-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Two Girls and One Cup

very confusing film

Pinkhearts
06-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Iron man 2

Why couldn't stark just take out the thing in his chest that is poisoning him, and use an electromagnet?

He could use his arc reactor on his suit only without body contact. That way he'll stay healthy, and there is no need to go synthesize vibranium.

Tarik One
06-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Was Travis Bickle alive at the end of Taxi Driver?

LBJMVP
06-16-2012, 12:45 AM

shutter island

the second time you see it, it's so obvious that he is insane.

all the workers look pissed off that they have to take part in the fake investigations. the crazy people in the hospital are afriad to talk to him cause they know it is an act.

when he see the guy with the scar on his eye and they talk its a big giveaway.

then at the end he realizes that he was insane and he did kill his wife and he says "is it better to live as a monster or die a hero"

which means that he didnt want to live with the fact that he killed his wife, so he pretended to still be a detective knowing he would get the lobotomy.

Deuce Bigalow
06-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Was Travis Bickle alive at the end of Taxi Driver?
Yes

nba_55
06-16-2012, 02:51 AM
can someone explain to me the end of memento?
Did the main character know that he killed his wife? Did he pretend to not know he killed his wife to have a purpose in life?

And wtf was all the black and white scenes about?

Scholar
06-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Two Girls and One Cup

very confusing film

I think the deep meaning behind that film was:

Everybody is responsible for their own shit.

El Kabong
06-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Did the main character know that he killed his wife? Did he pretend to not know he killed his wife to have a purpose in life?

It's debatable. He constantly recalls the story, but as it happening to Sammy Jankis.

The black and white scenes are out of sequence, they're actually the very start of the narrative. It's before he kills "John G" at the end of the film. That's why the last black and white scene slowly transitions into colour, to show it's the beginning of those colour sequences.

MJ(Mean John)
06-16-2012, 04:00 AM
American history x.

Why did the little brother die? Lol.

Myth
06-16-2012, 04:56 AM

Teddy revealed to him that he had already exacted revenge on the guys who raped his wife, and the main character couldn't believe it so he decided he wanted to kill Teddy, so he set up himself to kill Teddy. When he set the clues to kill Teddy, he knew Teddy wasn't the real John G but he felt he deserved to die anyway.

Also in case it wasn't clear, the flashbacks of Sammy Jenkins were a mixture of the real Sammy Jenkins and the main character. Sammy Jenkins was discovered to be a con artist by the main character, but the main character couldn't remember that part. The main character's wife had actually survived the assault/rape that gave him memory issues, and the wife tested the main character's memory by resetting the clock on her insulin until the main character killed his wife with injections. The main character had regained partial memory of this, but it was skewed and he believed that Sammy Jenkins did that rather than himself.

irondarts
06-16-2012, 04:57 AM
The Science of Sleep - Just could not understand this movie at all.

ROCSteady
06-16-2012, 05:47 AM
One thing I never understood regarding Magnolia, why the f uck did it start raining frogs?

nba_55
06-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Teddy revealed to him that he had already exacted revenge on the guys who raped his wife, and the main character couldn't believe it so he decided he wanted to kill Teddy, so he set up himself to kill Teddy. When he set the clues to kill Teddy, he knew Teddy wasn't the real John G but he felt he deserved to die anyway.

Also in case it wasn't clear, the flashbacks of Sammy Jenkins were a mixture of the real Sammy Jenkins and the main character. Sammy Jenkins was discovered to be a con artist by the main character, but the main character couldn't remember that part. The main character's wife had actually survived the assault/rape that gave him memory issues, and the wife tested the main character's memory by resetting the clock on her insulin until the main character killed his wife with injections. The main character had regained partial memory of this, but it was skewed and he believed that Sammy Jenkins did that rather than himself.

We all know that the main character killed his wife. Was he aware of that fact?

REACTION
06-16-2012, 01:42 PM
+1 for Primer.

Look at this diagram of timelines (http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/primer-chart.jpg) for the movie...

BGriffin's Dad
06-16-2012, 01:58 PM
the ending of A Serious Man
K-PAX, was he an alien?
all of I Heart Huckabees
the ending of There Will Be Blood... did he get away with the murder? why was his butler so calm about seeing that?

ukplayer4
06-21-2012, 11:23 AM

at the end of memento guy pearce realises that teddy told him the truth- he lies to himself to give himself some purposse. its not that clear and as a viewer we question it because everyone is trying to use/trick leonard but everything teddy tells him at the end is real.
he has a moment where he realises and is conscious of what hes doing, so he then sets himself on the path to killy teddy by writing down his number plate.
the black and white of sammy(who leonard is "investigating") are actually leanords own experiences and how his wife actually died, alluded to when we see the pinch/injection shots etc. leonard conditions himself to remember events this way, by constantly telling the story to everyone and making himself believe it. thus justifying the search for his wifes "killer"

scenes involving the phone conversation agaoin happen prior to the narrative, leonard talking tosomeone- teddy most likely- these scenes always felt strange and just expositional to me. they are used to give us information.

this was back when nolan actually made intelligent/subtle, non pandering films and it remains his best by far imo.

i dont understand what people are confused about shutter island, it isnt up for interpretation its just not that believable. this is accurate

Shutter Island: Leo's character had a very traumatic event that he cannot live with so he assumed someone else's identity. The mental institution were trying a new method where they would play along and set up a scenario so Leo would realize by himself that he's not that person. At the very end, he had a moment of clarity where he realize who he was and what happened to him but pretended not to. He chose to be lobotomized than live with the memory.

not even close to explaining the fountain and completely wrong, the film is three threads, not two and they are each completely linked, even if you didnt follow the story at all, it is pretty complex, you would atleast see all the subtext and symbollism linking the three stories.
cant be bothered to go into it here, im sure theres another thread where its been discussed to death....

there will be blood- theres nothing to not understand, events happen, the film ends. there is no getting away with murder because the film ends immediately after daniel kills eli. if we were to speculate as to the likelyhood of him getting away with it(which again is irrelevent to the film) id have to say yes hes murdered before and had no trouble, the world in twbb is a pretty hard one.

DCL
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
had to watch donnie darko a few times and read sh!t on the web about it to kinda get it.

first time was... WTF

ROCSteady
06-21-2012, 11:42 AM
One thing I never understood regarding Magnolia, why the f uck did it start raining frogs?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Somebody please answer this for a young man....

Jasi
06-21-2012, 11:53 AM
The Matrix: how does Cypher get in and out of the Matrix , if they all need a phone call with an operator back home to do it?
Does he use an answering macchine? :D

RidonKs
06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
cuz strange shit happens brah

that was the major theme of the movie. remember the intro? dude gets shot by three men whose last names make up the street on which the crime was committed. kid tries to jump off a building that wouldn't actually have killed him only to have a bullet pierce his skull halfway down incidentally fired from his dad's rifle in an argument with his mom... ironically part of his suicidal reasoning.

of course in the actual events of the film, the odd coincidences and f*cked up events actually follow a narrative, so for the audience, you can see why x follows y and reach a broad understanding of entire sequences of events. but from the pov of chracters in the film, it's not that easy and oftentimes they're made to feel like pawns in a chess match, little control over their identities, over their jobs, feeling like the past pushed them into the future rather than at any single point letting them stop and choose, etc

so it's kinda like, after all these characters go through so much without understanding one lick why it's all happening to them, they look up... and it's raining frogs. which somehow just doesn't seem so strange afterall. maybe not understanding why shit is happening is more normal than understanding it.

that's my take anyway, now i'm gonna look up what other people thought it meant

yeah, i forgot at the end when the frogs have been pouring, Stanley the quiz kid is just lazily staring out the window watching it happen and says "this happens. this is something that happens."

also apparently biblical references to exodus somewhere along the way that the frogs serve to connect all the dots

rufuspaul
06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
For me:

Hot chick with amnesia shows up out of nowhere. Has hot lesbian sex with her new roommate. We see her nice supple tits.

All the shit that happens later doesn't matter.