PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 natural talents all-time

D.J.
06-16-2012, 10:41 PM
When I mention natural talent, that does not automatically translate to success. Just want to list my top 5 and feel free to chime in. Anyway:

1)Vince Carter- everything about him screamed MJ. Elite scorer, attack the hoop at will, the explosiveness, the leaping ability, his ability to play D when he put in the effort, the shot blocking from his position, the ability to put up numbers and go off with seemingly little to no effort. But there was one thing Vince had that MJ didn't. Vince could shoot over 40% from downtown on a significant number of threes. Vince had the potential to be Michael Jordan with an elite three point shooting ability. Give Vince Kobe's heart and will to win, and I believe that's what Vince would have been.

2)Michael Jordan- IMO, the GOAT is 2nd to Vince Carter here. When MJ wanted to get something done, he got it done. Like Vince, he made things look so easy. But I still consider Vince to have slightly more NATURAL ability than MJ.

3)LeBron James- another player with Jordan comparisons. LeBron is a player with size, speed, strength, and flash. LeBron isn't the shooter Vince and MJ were, but he averages a near triple-ddouble and has for years...and does so regularly. He makes it look extremely easy. LeBron has been the only player I've ever seen to come straight out of high school and actually be ready to play in the pros. Even Kobe can't claim that.

4)Charles Barkley- a 6'5" guy playing the 4. Ability to score, rebound, pass, defend(when he put in the effort), and play all 5 positions. Barkley was putting up 25-27 PPG and pushing 60% from the field. One season, he hit 60% from the field. He had the natural ability to put up numbers on Shaq-like efficiency, had the versatility, was naturally strong as well, and was pretty much unstoppable when motivated. Barkley's only weakness had absolutely nothing to do with his skills. He was just an extremely lazy player who took many plays off. He could have been a top 5 player easily. If you look at #5 on the all-time list(figure Magic or Bird), there was no reason to think Barkley couldn't have been on that level if he wasn't so damn lazy.

5)Derrick Coleman- this one might catch most off guard, but I'll elaborate. DC was a guy that seemed to put up 20/10 without breaking a sweat. Zach Randolph is a lot like Coleman. It almost seemed like DC was saying "Yeah, I put up 20/10 tonight. No biggie". A big man with the ability to score, rebound, block shots, and shoot from the outside. With the dedication, he could have become a very good three point shooter as well. But he also got into trouble off the court and his best days were over once the Nets traded him.

SuperPippen
06-16-2012, 11:05 PM
David Robinson deserves a mention.

fsvr54
06-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Tmac is easily number 1. He was more talented than Vince.

D.J.
06-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Tmac is easily number 1. He was more talented than Vince.

More talented after the work he put in, yes. As for natural talent, Vince has him by a country mile.

Carbine
06-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Natural talent? As defined by having things you are just "born" with?

Shooting is a skill, you can become better, or in some cases much better by practicing it.

1) Wilt......nobody was as tall, as naturally athletic in all phases (speed, jumping, agility, strength, etc) as he was.

2) Shaq

3) LeBron James

4) David Robinson - A physical freak of nature. His athletic ability/height combination has rarely ever been seen before, and was a huge part of why he was who he was as a player.

5) Magic Johnson - Regardless of what someone says, the passing gene is not something you can work on and become great at. The guys who have it, are born with it. It's natural to them. They see and feel things differently than anyone else. Those guys are usually 6'0 point guards. Magic was 6'9 with very long arms.

That combination of having the gene/height/size/long arms has never been seen before.

DStebb716
06-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Vince is number one

Bigsmoke
06-17-2012, 12:28 AM
after thinking about it

why couldnt Chris Paul be on there?

miles berg
06-17-2012, 12:33 AM
Wilt, Shaq, Magic, DRob, & KG

LT Ice Cream
06-17-2012, 12:34 AM
after thinking about it

why couldnt Chris Paul be on there?

Chris Paul is where he is because he is one of the hardest workers in the NBA. Unless you're being sarcastic, Chris Paul has few natural gifts.

That being said, I would give Shawn Kemp an honorable mention. J.R. Smith is also one of those guys who has all the natural talent in the world, but is too cool to try.

ihoopallday
06-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Chris Paul is where he is because he is one of the hardest workers in the NBA. Unless you're being sarcastic, Chris Paul has few natural gifts.

That being said, I would give Shawn Kemp an honorable mention. J.R. Smith is also one of those guys who has all the natural talent in the world, but is too cool to try.

I always felt JR Smith could be a 25-30 ppg. player. Dude just has the lowest basketball IQ, but has all the talent needed to be great.

kumquat
06-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Natural talent? As defined by having things you are just "born" with?

Shooting is a skill, you can become better, or in some cases much better by practicing it.

1) Wilt......nobody was as tall, as naturally athletic in all phases (speed, jumping, agility, strength, etc) as he was.

2) Shaq

3) LeBron James

4) David Robinson - A physical freak of nature. His athletic ability/height combination has rarely ever been seen before, and was a huge part of why he was who he was as a player.

5) Magic Johnson - Regardless of what someone says, the passing gene is not something you can work on and become great at. The guys who have it, are born with it. It's natural to them. They see and feel things differently than anyone else. Those guys are usually 6'0 point guards. Magic was 6'9 with very long arms.

That combination of having the gene/height/size/long arms has never been seen before.

Great list, I might put Vince over Magic in terms of natural talent.

L.Kizzle
06-17-2012, 12:54 AM
David Thompson

miles berg
06-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Hakeem definitely belongs.

Unspeakable talent.

Force
06-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Coleman is always mentioned when it comes to people who didn't reach their potential because they were too damn lazy. Coleman didn't even reach half of his potential. He had 1st ballot HOFer written all over him.

Shaq is easily a top 5 natural talent in the NBA.

Magic Johnson as well.

L.Kizzle
06-17-2012, 01:17 AM

Unspeakable talent.
Hakeem worked at his game hard, it wasn't natural talent at all. He's naturally athletic, but that is not a talent. Just ask Guy Lewis.

senelcoolidge
06-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Wilt..easily. No other player like him before or after.
MJ
Shaq
Lebron James
Magic Johnson

pauk
06-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Wilt
Lebron
Jordan
Shaq
Barkley

arifgokcen
06-17-2012, 03:59 AM
Top three in no order:
Lebron,Shaq,Wilt

These three guys were so talented even without the work they put in they would still be very successful.

I dont think anybody stands out like these three

Of course a lot of honorable mentions
Vince Carter
Both MJs
David Robinson
Durant(everybody forget him)
et.

Quotable
06-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Erving, David Thompson, T-Mac, LeBron, Odom (people forget this), Webber, Durant & of course Jordan

wally_world
06-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Javale McGee

Dude doesnt even know how to play ball and he drops 20 on the Lakers like nobody's business

QUIZZLE
06-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Shawn Kemp

WillC
06-17-2012, 07:32 AM
This answers the question and ranks the players by natural talent:

http://basketballjournalist.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/nbas-ultimate-fantasy-draft.html

miller-time
06-17-2012, 07:43 AM

i don't necessarily agree with that. i think nash growing up playing soccer has definitely helped his development of a passing game. he said himself something along the lines of "passing with your hands felt like cheating."

miggyme1
06-17-2012, 01:15 PM
What about allen iverson?

6 feet even but played like he was 6'11.

Could score over anybody at will and he didnt have to dunk over you like rose and westbrook.

Just pure talent

If he had a jumper like durant iverson would have been just toi much basically illegal.lol

oolalaa
06-17-2012, 01:59 PM
To be honest, it's Wilt Chamberlain, Lebron James (Either one) and then the rest.

Jordan would probably head the 2nd tier group. Players like Oscar, Kobe, David Robinson, McGrady, Carter, Iverson, Durant and to a lesser extent Bird and Magic, too. I know I've missed quite a few out.

Carbine
06-17-2012, 02:00 PM
i don't necessarily agree with that. i think nash growing up playing soccer has definitely helped his development of a passing game. he said himself something along the lines of "passing with your hands felt like cheating."

:confusedshrug:

Rake2204
06-17-2012, 02:03 PM
I have to ask, what is the definition of natural talent in this thread?

scm5
06-17-2012, 02:05 PM
KD is a baller.

LA_Showtime
06-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Vince Carter was one of the most athletic players ever but I don't think his athleticism rivaled Jordan's. He never had the quickness of Jordan. His athleticism actually reminds me more of LeBron's... pure power and explosiveness.

Rose
06-17-2012, 02:21 PM
This answers the question and ranks the players by natural talent:

http://basketballjournalist.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/nbas-ultimate-fantasy-draft.html
Really good article. haven't seen you post in a bit, so I haven't read your blog in ages. But, there were a few things I disagreed with the biggest was KG over Admiral/C-webb. I felt like they both were more naturally talented. They just accomplished a bit less, or in webber's case a lot less.

After that it was more smallish differences. felt Walton should have been over Ewing, but I feel like I can see your reasoning. so no major disagreement. Then Jordan should have been a couple higher.

Terrific work though.:applause:

jlauber
06-17-2012, 02:21 PM

It can't be size...since Priest Lauderdale was 7-3 360 lbs. And it can't be athletcism, since James White can jump to the moon, but can't make a wide-open dunk from under the basket.

I didn't bother responding for this very reason.

julizaver
06-17-2012, 04:14 PM
It can't be size...since Priest Lauderdale was 7-3 360 lbs. And it can't be athletcism, since James White can jump to the moon, but can't make a wide-open dunk from under the basket.

I didn't bother responding for this very reason.

As I know he plays in Saudi Arabia now, before several years he play in my country and one of the local coaches have said that he is better than Shaq lol. :)))

jlauber
06-17-2012, 04:20 PM
As I know he plays in Saudi Arabia now, before several years he play in my country and one of the local coaches have said that he is better than Shaq lol. :)))

:cheers:

Sure glad to see you posting here again, too.

:applause:

Mach_3
06-17-2012, 04:45 PM
http://media.travelgolf.com/tg_blog_media/barkleymug_shrunk.jpg

Chuck must be wearing 3 inch heels in that left pic.

KG deserves a mention. a 7'2 dude who could guard every position? :wtf:

And where's shaq at?:bowdown:

midatlantic09
06-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Allen Iverson

lilgodfather1
06-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Where is Yao? One of, if not the tallest players in history. Decent athletic ability, long arms. Seriously Yao could have never learned to shoot and still been a top player. If it wasn't for injuries he could have dominated for two decades.

Vince Carter had it all physically.

MJ, LeBron, Dr. J, Oscar, Earl Manigault (not an NBA player :( )

Wilt, Shaq, Yao and Drob.

WillC
06-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Really good article. haven't seen you post in a bit, so I haven't read your blog in ages. But, there were a few things I disagreed with the biggest was KG over Admiral/C-webb. I felt like they both were more naturally talented. They just accomplished a bit less, or in webber's case a lot less.

After that it was more smallish differences. felt Walton should have been over Ewing, but I feel like I can see your reasoning. so no major disagreement. Then Jordan should have been a couple higher.

Terrific work though.:applause:

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I think KG as a 20-year-old (which is the premise of the article, rather than the age at which the player was when drafted in reality) would have been a phenomenal prospect. As an 18-year-old high schooler, teams were somewhat sceptical of drafting him due to that fact.

However, you're right, both Webber and the Admiral were phenomenally gifted athletes and basketball players. It's hard to separate those two and KG. A very tough call indeed.

Walton over Ewing is probably a good call - I agree with you on that. I'd make a few tweaks if I wrote the article again.

I haven't written any blog entries for a while now. I hope to get back into it over the summer.

Will

NumberSix
06-17-2012, 05:46 PM

Unspeakable talent.
Hakeem's game was more skill and intelligence than talent.

eliteballer
06-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Intelligence is definitely a talent as is the ability to pickup and refine skills........

Heavincent
06-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Intelligence is a talent.

thejumpa
06-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Natural athleticism+physical gifts+ability to be really good at things without trying too hard

TMac needs more love. Tall, extremely long, extremely athletic, and an extremely high basketball IQ. Oh, and he could shoot from wherever he wanted and had a post game. HOF talent but injuries and his attitude ruined all of that.

I'll throw in Rasheed Wallace as well. IMO, he could have been sooo much better if he just took things a little more serious. Didn't reach his full potential but had talent out the ass.

JMT
06-17-2012, 06:20 PM
David Thompson

This.

JMT
06-17-2012, 06:21 PM
And where's shaq at?

Probably the buffet.

Rose
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I think KG as a 20-year-old (which is the premise of the article, rather than the age at which the player was when drafted in reality) would have been a phenomenal prospect. As an 18-year-old high schooler, teams were somewhat sceptical of drafting him due to that fact.

However, you're right, both Webber and the Admiral were phenomenally gifted athletes and basketball players. It's hard to separate those two and KG. A very tough call indeed.

Walton over Ewing is probably a good call - I agree with you on that. I'd make a few tweaks if I wrote the article again.

I haven't written any blog entries for a while now. I hope to get back into it over the summer.

Will
Ah okay, then I totally see your reasoning then for having KG over them. I could actually agree with that. It's tough to decide between those guys. Really I don't think you can go the wrong way.

Punpun
06-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Will

Why did you write KAJ's name as Lew Alcindor ?

WillC
06-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Why did you write KAJ's name as Lew Alcindor ?

Because he wasn't called Kareem Abdul-Jabbar until he was 24 years old.

My article assumed all the players were 20. He was called Lew Alcindor at that age.

FindingTim
06-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Top three in no order:
Lebron,Shaq,Wilt

These three guys were so talented even without the work they put in they would still be very successful.

I dont think anybody stands out like these three

Of course a lot of honorable mentions
Vince Carter
Both MJs
David Robinson
Durant(everybody forget him)
et.

great picks. those are the three players that came to mind for me.
Durant is a great choice too now that I think about it-- that combo of height, length, touch, speed, finesse, and of course shooting ability is unparallelled.

As for the Barkley mentions, I don't quite see it. I understand he was fast, athletic, and incredibly strong, but from what I've seen, he shouldn't sniff a list of "top 5 natural talents." And was he really that lazy? From what I've seen, much of his greatness was because he outworked everyone on the court. He was fierce.