PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westbrook: "I'm Not Making Any Adjustments To My Playstyle"

Clippersfan86
06-17-2012, 01:24 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/06/16/russell.westbrook.ap/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

When Westbrook takes 25 shots in a game - what he's averaging in this series - the Thunder are 7-7 this season, including playoffs. When he takes less than 25, the Thunder are 53-16.

:eek: :eek: .

Batz
06-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Well, ****.

L.Kizzle
06-17-2012, 01:30 AM
So he can take 24 and everyone will be happy beside the Heat.

cteach111
06-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Westbrook isn't the biggest problem. Those poor starts aren't entirely because of him.

Clippersfan86
06-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Westbrook isn't the biggest problem. Those poor starts aren't entirely because of him.

Not trying to say he's a problem at all. Compelling nonetheless.

Lakers Legend#32
06-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Another reason why he's the most hateable player in the league.

StateOfMind12
06-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Here is an even more interesting stat involving Russell Westbrook and the Finals so far.

Westbrook w/starters on court: 9 points on 4-16 shooting
Westbrook w/all other lineups: 43 points on 16-34 shooting

There is also a stat that shows how Thunder have a better record when Westbrook takes more shots than Durant does.

With that being said, it's Brooks that doesn't want him to adjust more so than Westbrook himself doesn't. If Brooks asked him to change, Westbrook more than likely would but since Brooks asked him to play the same style he is going to continue. It's not like Westbrook is deviating from what his coach and his team wants because he is just following orders and nothing more.

Clippersfan86
06-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Here is an even more interesting stat involving Russell Westbrook and the Finals so far.

Westbrook w/starters on court: 9 points on 4-16 shooting
Westbrook w/all other lineups: 43 points on 16-34 shooting

There is also a stat that shows how Thunder have a better record when Westbrook takes more shots than Durant does.

With that being said, it's Brooks that doesn't want him to adjust more so than Westbrook himself doesn't. If Brooks asked him to change, Westbrook more than likely would but since Brooks asked him to play the same style he is going to continue. It's not like Westbrook is deviating from what his coach and his team wants because he is just following orders and nothing more.

:oldlol: defensive much?

andgar923
06-17-2012, 01:46 AM

but he's the biggest reason.

StateOfMind12
06-17-2012, 01:47 AM
but he's the biggest reason.
He is not the biggest reason for the Thunder's problem but he has been somewhat problematic in the Finals so far with his decision making.

He needs to make plays and decisions the way he did in the WCF against the Spurs.

Thunder don't need Westbrook to continue playing like this....

http://i.minus.com/ip7tCn1KGSMPH.gif

andgar923
06-17-2012, 02:28 AM
He is not the biggest reason for the Thunder's problem but he has been somewhat problematic in the Finals so far with his decision making.

He needs to make plays and decisions the way he did in the WCF against the Spurs.

So if he's not the reason why their offense and defense is inconsistent then what or who is?

Naturally, nobody is perfect and I'm sure there's some blame that can go around as is the case with every team in history. But he's usually the catalyst for most of their problems on both ends.

d.bball.guy
06-17-2012, 02:58 AM
Kobe mentality lol

PTstyle272
06-17-2012, 03:27 AM

:oldlol:

50inchvertical
06-17-2012, 03:36 AM
So if he's not the reason why their offense and defense is inconsistent then what or who is?

Naturally, nobody is perfect and I'm sure there's some blame that can go around as is the case with every team in history. But he's usually the catalyst for most of their problems on both ends.
Starting 3 guys who can't score?

Now he's the problem for our defense too?

Let me guess, he's probably also the reason for the economic problems in Greece too, Global Warming, diabetes, etc.

GoRapz
06-17-2012, 03:38 AM
The problem with the Thunder doesn't lie within Westbrook. The Thunder's problem is the fact that their a jump shooting team. There would be no critics right now if the Thunder had been shooting lights out like the 4th Q of game 1. This has been my biggest concern with this squad competing for a championship thus far, is their style of play. JVG says it best, "it's a make or miss league". Westbrook is used as the scape goat because he doesn't play like your prototypical PG but the fact of the matter is he's one of the top players in this league. His jumper (especially pull ups) is nasty and he can get to the rim at will, can anyone blame him for playing the way he does???

LakersFan626
06-17-2012, 03:42 AM

Taking 25 shots a game is more hatable than saying "not one, not two, not three" and "when the games start it's gonna be easy" or trying to draw free throws and not even try to put it in the basket on half of your possessions? Westbrook doesn't do anything near that bad...

reppy
06-17-2012, 03:51 AM
As much as I like stats in sports.. you do realize that saying "they're 7-7 when he shoots 25 or more times" doesn't really tell you everything, right?

Maybe Durant was stinking it up those nights so he looked for his offense more.

Westbrook, in my opinion, has improved a lot since last year. He still looks for his own shot too much, but Thunder aren't as good without him. If you tell him not to attack as much, maybe it affects the rest of his game and he just isn't as good. You take the good with the bad.

Clippersfan86
06-17-2012, 03:53 AM
As much as I like stats in sports.. you do realize that saying "they're 7-7 when he shoots 25 or more times" doesn't really tell you everything, right?

Maybe Durant was stinking it up those nights so he looked for his offense more.

Westbrook, in my opinion, has improved a lot since last year. He still looks for his own shot too much, but Thunder aren't as good without him. If you tell him not to attack as much, maybe it affects the rest of his game and he just isn't as good. You take the good with the bad.

You realize a 69 game sample is huge right? Durant absolutely did NOT stink it up more than MAYBE 5-10 times this year.

westside_baller
06-17-2012, 05:27 AM
RW was a complete embarrassment in the WCF against dallas. He basically had the basketball IQ of a turnip. I'll go so far as to say he embarrassed the game of basketball.

He's doing better this season. He's only embarrassing himself and the PG position, rather than being a disgrace to the entire game.

He's still a complete embarrassment to anyone who enjoys basketball fundamentals, but less so than in the past.

SpaceJammeR
06-17-2012, 05:44 AM
if magic johnson says you are doing a bad job as a pg. you are doing a bad job at your position. lol:oldlol:

Chrono90
06-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Low bball IQ. That's all.

Bigsmoke
06-17-2012, 07:44 AM
if magic johnson says you are doing a bad job as a pg. you are doing a bad job at your position. lol:oldlol:

The Thunder are in the Finals for a reason.....

Brickz187
06-17-2012, 07:48 AM
I applaud Westbrook. He does not need to change his style of play, at all. Sure he may make some bad decision here or there, but the fact that he has no regard for human life and will run into the lane at will or shoot whenever he feels like it is something you actually have to look out for. He can actually make those shots. This is more people thinking that a PG is suppose to suck on offense and should only pass.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-17-2012, 08:17 AM
The Thunder are in the Finals for a reason.....

Yeah, his name is Durant.

ZenMaster
06-17-2012, 08:36 AM
The problem with the Thunder doesn't lie within Westbrook. The Thunder's problem is the fact that their a jump shooting team. There would be no critics right now if the Thunder had been shooting lights out like the 4th Q of game 1. This has been my biggest concern with this squad competing for a championship thus far, is their style of play. JVG says it best, "it's a make or miss league". Westbrook is used as the scape goat because he doesn't play like your prototypical PG but the fact of the matter is he's one of the top players in this league. His jumper (especially pull ups) is nasty and he can get to the rim at will, can anyone blame him for playing the way he does???

Sounds like he should never pass the ball then.

Problem is it's tough to get everybody to play defense if one guy is hawking the ball.

Kblaze8855
06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
That record when ____ shoots ___ times thing never did anything for me. Many(perhaps most) scorers shoot and score more in losses. Michael Jordan did some of his prime. Duncan did at his peak(2003 at least...the only year I checked).

Players who score a lot tend to try to do more when the team is struggling. Doesnt mean them doing more is the reason they are struggling. chicken and the egg thing.

It's A VC3!!!
06-17-2012, 10:20 AM

You make absolutely no sense.

The Thunder got to the Finals primarily because of Russel Westbrook. Why in the world would he modify his game now? He does take ill-advised shots but every shot he takes demonstrates his confidence. I can't believe that people, analysts and sports writers are telling Westbrook to change his playstyle in the Finals.:facepalm

JellyBean
06-17-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't blame him. I would not change a thing either. It is working for the betterment of the Thunder. As folks say in the street, "you do you, Bo. You do you." Don't change a thing Westbrook.

longtime lurker
06-17-2012, 10:48 AM
That record when ____ shoots ___ times thing never did anything for me. Many(perhaps most) scorers shoot and score more in losses. Michael Jordan did some of his prime. Duncan did at his peak(2003 at least...the only year I checked).

Players who score a lot tend to try to do more when the team is struggling. Doesnt mean them doing more is the reason they are struggling. chicken and the egg thing.

That makes too much sense for ISH. People would rather mindlessly hate on Westbrook. The way Westbrook has been playing has the Thunder in the finals. They need to fix their slow starts more than have Westbrook change the way he plays.

Bigsmoke
06-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah, his name is Durant.

Durant would tell you that Westbrook is helping the Thunder more than he is getting credit for

DirkNowitzki41
06-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Good. People are overreacting. He stepped up in the second half and found Durant a lot for open 3s in the 4th.. he played really well.

nathanjizzle
06-17-2012, 11:00 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/06/16/russell.westbrook.ap/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

When Westbrook takes 25 shots in a game - what he's averaging in this series - the Thunder are 7-7 this season, including playoffs. When he takes less than 25, the Thunder are 53-16.

:eek: :eek: .

the problem with that fake stat is, theres only 66 games in this season. how can you believe the stats in an article when the writer doesnt even read over his work?

chris paul should learn how to step up and take more shots, he might actually take his team past the 2nd round one day.

hawkfan
06-17-2012, 11:06 AM
He doesn't need to adjust his style, he just needs to take about 3-4 less shots per game. That's it.

That's not a big change, but also when other guys when they get the ball, have to shoot it and not re-route the ball - I'm talking about Perkins, Ibaka, Sefolosha and Collison. I like it when those 4 are shooting a little more - when those guys are on, the Thunder are unstoppable.

A lot of times Westbrook has to take shots because other guys re-route the ball and the shot clock is running down. So those 3-4 shots are a lot of times shots to avoid a shot clock violation.

hitmanyr2k
06-17-2012, 11:13 AM
The Thunder got to the Finals primarily because of Russel Westbrook. Why in the world would he modify his game now? He does take ill-advised shots but every shot he takes demonstrates his confidence. I can't believe that people, analysts and sports writers are telling Westbrook to change his playstyle in the Finals.:facepalm

The Thunder are in the Finals because Westbrook stopped playing like a knucklehead against the Spurs and stopped looking to shoot so much. Westbrook's first two games in the Finals reminds me a lot of his first two games against the Spurs. He has that undeniable low IQ brand of chucker ball where he seems to be in a rush to hit the homerun play instead of running the team and controlling the pace of the game. After playing like a chicken with its head cut off in Game 1 I thought he'd come out in Game 2 much more calm and take his time mixing up the playmaking with his scoring ability. Nope, dude comes out even more spastic and shoots like the world is ending. It's ridiculous to watch but people seem to give him a pass because his jumper is on once every 3-4 games.

imdaman99
06-17-2012, 11:23 AM
The Thunder are in the Finals because Westbrook stopped playing like a knucklehead against the Spurs and stopped looking to shoot so much. Westbrook's first two games in the Finals reminds me a lot of his first two games against the Spurs. He has that undeniable low IQ brand of chucker ball where he seems to be in a rush to hit the homerun play instead of running the team and controlling the pace of the game. After playing like a chicken with its head cut off in Game 1 I thought he'd come out in Game 2 much more calm and take his time mixing up the playmaking with his scoring ability. Nope, dude comes out even more spastic and shoots like the world is ending. It's ridiculous to watch but people seem to give him a pass because his jumper is on once every 3-4 games.
i dont know if you have been living under a rock, the media already has labelled him the scapegoat if okc doesn't win. we already have 50 threads on him about how he sucks or hes a horrible pg or how the thunder should trade him. too many ppl are unfairly criticizing him. he is the root of all problems of the thunder. never mind perkins is useless in the finals or ibaka's jumper ain't falling, or sefolosha trying to become kevin durant in the final minute.

the bottom line is, he helps get the thunder back in the game late... AND he lets durant do his thing in the 4th quarters. you all are acting as if durant could do that in the 4th if westbrook kept force-feeding durant the ball the whole game? fools i tell ya :lol

nobody notices westbrook when he drops 36 on the lakers and keeps them in the game to let durant finish them off. but heaven forbid he takes more shots than durant and they lose :facepalm

BlueandGold
06-17-2012, 11:26 AM

I don't even care what u posted. +1 for awesome fresh prince gif.

upside24
06-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Exactly.:applause:

pegasus
06-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Good. People are overreacting. He stepped up in the second half and found Durant a lot for open 3s in the 4th.. he played really well.
True, but he needs to play like that from the beginning. He's been the major reason as to why their offense has been so ineffective in first quarters.

pmj
06-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Playoffs clutch stats: (per36, 4th qtr & OT, <5 min, +/- 5)

(http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/index.html)

Westbrook:
7.7 PTS
24% FG%
0% 3P%
0.9 AST
3.4 REB
3.4 TO

Durant:
33.4 PTS
54% FG%
25% 3P%
4.3 AST
12.0 REB
1.7 TO

Harden:
19.3 PTS
46% FG%
67% 3P%
3.5 AST
6.1 REB
0.9 TO

dunksby
06-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Best PG in the game :bowdown:

Yung D-Will
06-17-2012, 12:57 PM
One thing that annoys me about Westbrook is that he always looks past Durant when someone's fronting him, it's not that he doesn't want to make the pass I think he just anticipates a turnover. When Harden's on the floor he nearlly always makes the pass and delivers it on target.

Just something I've noticed the past 2 series

upside24
06-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Playoffs clutch stats: (per36, 4th qtr & OT, <5 min, +/- 5)

(http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/index.html)

Westbrook:
7.7 PTS
24% FG%
0% 3P%
0.9 AST
3.4 REB
3.4 TO

Durant:
33.4 PTS
54% FG%
25% 3P%
4.3 AST
12.0 REB
1.7 TO

Harden:
19.3 PTS
46% FG%
67% 3P%
3.5 AST
6.1 REB
0.9 TO
Westbrook's clutch stats are garbage without a doubt, but the pressure he puts on defenses is vital to OKC's success. Even time I watch him play I feel like pulling my hair out but if he gets KD the ball when it's closing time I can deal with it. This year he is letting KD do his thing when it matters which he wasn't doing last year in the WCF, so I think he is improving.

Like others have said, you have to take the good with the bad with Westbrook. I just hope there is more of the former than the latter.

Hernando
06-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Thing with russell is, when hes on, HE IS ON. When he is off, he is waaaaayyy off. Its sort of a coin flip situation, you win or lose. :durantunimpressed:

reppy
06-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks. That's what I was trying to say. But people just look at numbers and say, "Hey, X happened when Y happened! This means Y caused X!" But.. that isn't always the case.

50inchvertical
06-17-2012, 05:54 PM
One thing that annoys me about Westbrook is that he always looks past Durant when someone's fronting him, it's not that he doesn't want to make the pass I think he just anticipates a turnover. When Harden's on the floor he nearlly always makes the pass and delivers it on target.

Harden just waves it off and scores himself. Nobody can get KD the ball when he is being fronted by LeBron and just standing there. He does a terrible job sealing his defender behind him and giving a target hand. When he has a guard on him, it's not problem though

Solid Snake
06-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Yup, the scouting report on him says he will not make a front pass (or whatever the term is).

Mach_3
06-17-2012, 06:03 PM

As hilariously sad this its completely true

Mach_3
06-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Yup, the scouting report on him says he will not make a front pass (or whatever the term is).

Ive noticed that alot to. He'll stand in place and act like he's about to lob it over the top to Durant for like a good 3 seconds and then act like he never saw him and either dish it off to someone else or drive it :lol

OKCThunderUP
06-17-2012, 06:33 PM

The OKC offense isn't inconsistent though. It scored at a rate of 144 points per 100 possessions against the Heat in the 2nd halves of games 1 and 2. That's RIDICULOUSLY GOOD.

50inchvertical
06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
How is it Westbrook's fault Kendrick Perkins and Serge Ibaka can't defend Shane Battier and Chris Bosh though? Even assume one subscribed to the simple minded way of thinking and just blamed everything on Russ offensively, how can he make those guys play better defense?

If anything, isn't that pointing to the starting lineup not being a good fit in this series?

Kujo
06-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Nobodies telling Westbrook not be aggressive. That's what makes him who he is (top guard in the league).

However, he needs to pick his spots better, and get his teammates involved in the offense more.

ripthekik
06-17-2012, 06:43 PM
How is it Westbrook's fault Kendrick Perkins and Serge Ibaka can't defend Shane Battier and Chris Bosh though? Even assume one subscribed to the simple minded way of thinking and just blamed everything on Russ offensively, how can he make those guys play better defense?

If anything, isn't that pointing to the starting lineup not being a good fit in this series?
Yeah, the defensive end isn't his fault. But how do you explain the offensive end? 2 points in 7 minutes? Are you really telling me that's got nothing to do with Westbrook not passing to anyone in like 5 possessions?

I'm sure you will bring up Durants and the other role players not shooting well too, but when you have a guard that plays so much out of control, and only hand you the ball in bad rhythm, you simply can't play well. In fact I remember the first 2 plays WB went crazy, then Durant came down and scored an easy 2. I was like, thank goodness, no more of this WB bullcrap. But ignoring the fact that KD scored so easily, he came down the next time and chucked it up and continued to play heroball. :facepalm That's why they started so bad.

Eat Like A Bosh
06-17-2012, 06:50 PM
You can't even remember how many times Westbrook brought the ball up court, jacked up a bad shot without anyone else touching the ball.

50inchvertical
06-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah, the defensive end isn't his fault. But how do you explain the offensive end? 2 points in 7 minutes? Are you really telling me that's got nothing to do with Westbrook not passing to anyone in like 5 possessions?

I'm sure you will bring up Durants and the other role players not shooting well too, but when you have a guard that plays so much out of control, and only hand you the ball in bad rhythm, you simply can't play well. In fact I remember the first 2 plays WB went crazy, then Durant came down and scored an easy 2. I was like, thank goodness, no more of this WB bullcrap. But ignoring the fact that KD scored so easily, he came down the next time and chucked it up and continued to play heroball. :facepalm That's why they started so bad.
Never said that. I'd like to see a better fitting lineup in the game. Of the 8 quarters, we have lost 2 (the 2 1sts) and tied 1 and won 5, by a large margin in fact when we go smallball (Westbrook, Harden, Sef, Durant, Collison or Ibaka)

In fact since we want to focus on Westbrook so much, he is shooting 16-34 (47%) when not playing with the starters.

It speaks to the lack of spacing that a lineup with 3 guys the offensive doesn't respect creates. When KD comes off screens the big man cheats the passing lanes, when they pick and roll they trap Westbrook off of someone, whoever is guarding Thabo just looks to help and draw charges.

Point forward details it in an article with photos and videos

[quote]Watch, for instance, as Heat forward Shane Battier totally ignores Perkins to jump in the lane to bust up this Westbrook/Ibaka pick-and-roll, and how when Westbrook finally decides to drive, three Heat help defenders are waiting in the paint