PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing TV numbers for game 3 (relative)

t-rex
06-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Game 3 of the Thunder/Heat NBA Finals drew a 10.4 overnight rating on ABC Sunday night, down 6% from Heat/Mavericks Game 3 last year (11.1), and down 10% from Lakers/Celtics Game 3 on a Tuesday night in 2010 (11.5).

The 10.4 overnight is the lowest for Game 3 of the NBA Finals since Lakers/Magic three years ago (10.1), and it is the second lowest for a Game 3 over the past five years. The two previous games in the series (Heat/Mavs and Lakers/Celtics) each drew an 11.8 overnight.

Competition from the final round of the U.S. Open on NBC almost certainly hurt the numbers. With that said, the NBA more than likely won the head-to-head battle comfortably.

Sunday’s game drew a 41.9 rating in Oklahoma City, down 6% from Game 2 (44.4).

The game drew a 29.6 in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, down 2% from Game 2 (30.3), and down 8% from Game 3 last year (32.3).

I hope casual fans are not starting to lose interest. But the numbers are definitely flat lining.

Although the NBA certainly won the night, given that this game was on Sunday, the number is very disappointing. It did not even beat last year’s Game 3 TV audience and finished essentially the same as Game 2 in overall TV numbers.

This game was on a Sunday night and therefore should have done better.

The U.S. Open likely took a decent size of the viewing audience away from the NBA. Saturday, the U.S. Open did a 5.3 TV rating on NBC. That was the highest U.S. Open rating in 10 years. Sunday was sure to top that number, (those numbers are not out yet.) and many of that audience was no doubt coming off of the NBA Game. However, Tiger Woods was out of contention, so the number shouldn't be that much higher, and his early departure certainly softened the blow for the NBA.

Still, the good news is that we are still tracking well ahead of the Baseball World Series and all other major sporting events over the past year outside of football.

Here's my updated TV tracker comparing us to the other major sports.

NBA Finals
Game 1/9.9
Game 2/10.2
Game 3/10.4

World Series
Game 1/8.7
Game 2/8.9
Game 3/6.6

NHL Finals
Game 1 /1.8
Game 2/1.7

WNBA Finals
Game 1/0.30
Game 2/0.33
Game 3/0.33

BCS National Championship Game/
Alabama/LSU.................... 14.0

NCAA Kentucky/Kansas........12.3

World Series Game 1........... 8.7

Golf Masters Tournament...... 8.0

NASCAR Daytona 500........... 8.0

Indianapolis 500.................. 4.3

French Open, Nadal/Djokovic. 2.4
(French Open, Sharpova/Errani. 1.7)

Figure Skating Championships... 2.4

Source: ESPN Media Zone, Nielsen Media Research, TV by the Numbers, Sports Business Daily, "Puck" the Media

westsideozzie
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Games come on too late. They need to start earlier.

Rekindled
06-18-2012, 12:03 PM
people tune in to see lebron fail, heat winning hurts the number

mobbdeep
06-18-2012, 12:06 PM
doesn't matter if the ratings are bad to me since I am not David Stern. he said the fans don't pay his salary

t-rex
06-18-2012, 12:08 PM
The U.S. Open did a 6.6 overnight TV rating on NBC Sunday night

U.S Open
Saturday 5.3
Sunday 6.6

As expected, Tiger Woods being out of contention really slowed the U.S. Open down on Sunday.

Source: USA Today

TheBluest
06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Yep if the OKC can steal the next game the number will change. No one really cares about Lebron winning a ring besides a handful of fans in comparison to the rest. The series also hasn't been that good

JohnnySic
06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Maybe Stern should have booked San Anonio vs Indiana...

TheBluest
06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Maybe Stern should have booked San Anonio vs Indiana...

Or Spurs vs Celtics so they could really build a natural NBA story line. Especially considering the connection between Duncan and the Celtics during Duncan's draft yr. Also the battle between he and Garnett, there were simply things there that would have sold themselves because they existed and were raw

kurt_rambis
06-18-2012, 12:21 PM
what do you think the final total number of viewers will be? plus/minus 15 million?

over 15 million would be respectable i think, considering they had the us open to compete with which got like an average of 10 million viewers

t-rex
06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
what do you think the final total number of viewers will be? plus/minus 15 million?

over 15 million would be respectable i think, considering they had the us open to compete with which got like an average of 10 million viewers

Raw viewers

NBA 13.4 million

U.S. Open 9.4 million

The NBA easily trounced the U.S. open with more than 4 million more viewers. The NBA also had more than double the audience among people 18-49 when compared to golf.

Droid101
06-18-2012, 12:29 PM
I haven't watched a single game. Might look at a game 7 if it comes to it, but I doubt it.

kurt_rambis
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Raw viewers

NBA 13.4 million

U.S. Open 9.4 million

The NBA easily trounced the U.S. open with more than 4 million more viewers. The NBA also had more than double the audience among people 18-49 when compared to golf.
those are the preliminary numbers though. they're almost always adjusted higher

for example game 2 only had 13.55 million preliminary viewers, but the final number was 16.6 million

t-rex
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
those are the preliminary numbers though. they're almost always adjusted higher

for example game 2 only had 13.55 million preliminary viewers, but the final number was 16.6 million

Fair point. :bowdown:

I just like to wait for the actually numbers before posting. The preliminary numbers are all that is available now. The overnight TV rating for game 3 was higher than game 2, so the NBA likely topped the 16.6 million in audience they had for game 2. That is an excellent number.

Nash
06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
What kind of ratings do the soccer US national team get during the World Cup? And what did the final in the World Cup get?

tmacattack33
06-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I guess that is disappointing. But the US Open probably did take away a lot of views.

Also, im not sure if i by into the fact that everyone will (or already is) tuning out because Lebron is winning. I think the haters will still watch.

ZenMaster
06-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Of course it's lower when there's a sunday of US open going on at the same time, Tiger or no Tiger the Open came down to the last hole and was very very tight.

Personally I had streams for both going at the same time.

KingMichael23
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
LeBron on a small market team = not enough ratings. LeBron would draw ratings through out the whole series if he were playing for the Bulls, Lakers or Knicks.

t-rex
06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
What kind of ratings do the soccer US national team get during the World Cup? And what did the final in the World Cup get?

The World Cup Final did an 8.1 TV rating (15.5 million viewers) on ABC. However that number was skewed because an additional 8.2 million people watched on Spanish language TV (Univision). That huge number is not reflected in ABC

-p.tiddy-
06-18-2012, 01:10 PM
The World Cup Final did an 8.1 TV rating (15.5 million viewers) on ABC. However that number was skewed because an additional 8.2 million people watched on Spanish language TV (Univision). That huge number is not reflected in ABC’s rating.

The Women’s World Cup did a 7.4 TV rating and was one of the top 10 most watched (non NFL programs) in ESPN history. By comparison, a WNBA Finals game won’t even get a 0.5 TV rating.:facepalm

Soccer is very big in this country. The TV ratings are very good. For instance, as you can see from some of my numerous posts on this topic, Soccer (FIFFA World Cup) completely blows away the NHL in fan popularity.

Soccer is a very popular sport in the United States. And its’ growing rapidly. You may have noticed ESPN beginning to pay more and more attention to the sport. That’s because they are looking at some of the same numbers I just posted. It’s a myth that Soccer does not do well in the U.S.

Keep in mind the World Cup drew about 23 million people in this country in a championship match that did not involve the U.S. soccer team. That’s how big the sport is becoming here.
what are you talking about?

Soccer is NOT at all popular in the US, not compared to the other sports

The World Cup is pobably the ONLY thing soccer related that coupld grab ratings...we have a professional soccer league, and no one gives a shit aobut it...

David Beckham was supposed to come here and make soccer popular, he couldn't...we don't care about it

DropStep
06-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Middle America prefers to watch sports like golf and Nascar than the NBA.

-p.tiddy-
06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
here you go chief:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1202465-mls-television-ratings-are-the-biggest-issue-facing-the-mls-today

MLS: Television Ratings Are the Biggest Issue Facing the MLS Today

The MLS (Major League Soccer) is fast approaching a serious roadblock to growing into a sport with a truly national following. This roadblock is also related to a common criticism that the sport in general is boring.

This sentiment is best reflected in television ratings, because if a sport is truly popular, then there would be people watching it on television.

The MLS has television deals with NBC and ESPN, so just how bad are the ratings for the "world sport"? Well, for NBC's first broadcast of an MLS game, there were only 82,000 viewers. If the MLS were a sitcom, the show would have been canceled faster than you can say "Viva Laughlin."

True, the attendance figures for games on average has increased, but sports leagues don't make a majority of their money from attendance; they get revenue from television deals. Due to the lack of television ratings, it will be hard for a network broadcasting the games to generate ad revenue because of how few people watch. That is a serious problem, because networks like NBC or ESPN will drop coverage due to lackluster ratings.

If ESPN no longer broadcasts NHL games, then they can very easily pull MLS.

There is also a perception problem with the MLS, because unlike the other sports where there is world-class talent, MLS gets the scraps from Europe. Besides, for those die-hard soccer fans out there, what would you rather watch, a Premier League match or an MLS match?

There is a perception that the MLS is essentially a glorified Triple-A minor-league system. Even if there is great home-grown talent, those players will always go to Europe, because that's where the soccer money is. In essence, don't expect Didier Drogba to ever cross the Atlantic.

The interest of soccer in the United States is very fickle and inconsistent: Public interest peaks around the World Cup, then dies down after the United States is out of the tournament. Middle America simply doesn't care about a sport that they attribute to children and frozen orange slices after games.

In all fairness to the game of soccer, it is a very recent development in the United States and is trying to compete with the NBA playoffs, the MLB regular season, the NFL and college football. There are simply not enough people to watch.

If there was such a demand for soccer in the United States, it would be reflected in the viewers for each match, not the number of views a soccer article receives on ESPN.com.

DirtySanchez
06-18-2012, 01:16 PM

LMAO

true

DirtySanchez
06-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Racial thing?

kurt_rambis
06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
here you go chief:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1202465-mls-television-ratings-are-the-biggest-issue-facing-the-mls-today

international soccer does way better in the us than MLS. euro 2012 is averaging well over a million viewers per match, and english premier league usually does okay on espn. it's comparable to regular season hockey

t-rex
06-18-2012, 01:26 PM
what are you talking about?

Soccer is NOT at all popular in the US, not compared to the other sports

The World Cup is pobably the ONLY thing soccer related that coupld grab ratings...we have a professional soccer league, and no one gives a shit aobut it...

David Beckham was supposed to come here and make soccer popular, he couldn't...we don't care about it

MLS is not the World Cup.

I was referring to World Cup Soccer.

To say World Cup soccer doesn't do well because of the difficulties MLS has, is like saying the NFL is a failure because of the Arena Football League, Or the NBA doesn't do well because of the D-league. See the point!:no:

Its an apples to oranges comparison.

The poster asked about World Cup TV ratings. That's what I posted. The World Cup ratings are very good. And are probably better than the casual fan thinks. Its simple math.

Why the hostility?:confusedshrug:

quick96
06-18-2012, 01:27 PM

This, what you wrote, is Masterfully written... :applause:

If we continue see LeHype James fail we will continue to watch.

:banana:

kurt_rambis
06-18-2012, 01:27 PM
golf isn't middle america specific. old people and dorks like it, and you can find both groups everywhere

t-rex
06-18-2012, 01:28 PM
here you go chief:

:facepalm

Please read my previous post, so I don't have to start looking up Arena Football TV ratings and comparing them to the NFL?

BTW... I still don't understand why are are so mad about this?

t-rex
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM

I think we are all collectively not accurately representing what Sunday's TV number means. A 10.4 rating is still an EXCELLENT number. More Americans are watching the NBA than watch NASCAR or golf. So while their is a racial component to the TV numbers, the NBA is not adversely affected.

For instance, if white america only loves white sports/athletes then...

Why does Hockey do so poorly?

Why do Golf ratings double when Tiger Woods in in the field?

Why do Tennis ratings tank unless the Williams sisters are present?

Why do baseball TV ratings decline as fewer African Americans play the sport each year?

Why are NASCAR ratings falling over the last few years?

Why is the NBA currently the second most watched sport in America trailing only football?

JohnnySic
06-18-2012, 01:37 PM
The "dissapointing" numbers shouldn't be surprising. Oklahoma City is a small market and Miami is an awful sports town. And a lot of casual fans dont even know who Kevin Durant is.

-p.tiddy-
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
MLS is not the World Cup.

I was referring to World Cup Soccer.

To say World Cup soccer doesn't do well because of the difficulties MLS has, is like saying the NFL is a failure because of the Arena Football League, Or the NBA doesn't do well because of the D-league. See the point!:no:

Its an apples to oranges comparison.

The poster asked about World Cup TV ratings. That's what I posted. The World Cup ratings are very good. And are probably better than the casual fan thinks. Its simple math.

Why the hostility?:confusedshrug:
I'm not being hostile...

I said that the World Cup might be the only thing that grabs ratings soccer relatd here...but the sport in general is NOT popular in the US outside of grade school peewee leagues...

basketball grabs ratings at the college and pro level...same with football

the World Cup happens once EVERY FOUR YEARS

NattyPButter
06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Yesterday was fathers day duh.

DropStep
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
I think we are all collectively not accurately representing what Sunday's TV number means. A 10.4 rating is still an EXCELLENT number. More Americans are watching the NBA than watch NASCAR or golf. So while their is a racial component to the TV numbers, the NBA is not adversely affected.

For instance, if white america only loves white sports/athletes then...

Why does Hockey do so poorly?

Why do Golf ratings double when Tiger Woods in in the field?

Why do Tennis ratings tank unless the Williams sisters are present?

Why do baseball TV ratings decline as fewer African Americans play the sport each year?

Why are NASCAR ratings falling over the last few years?

Why is the NBA currently the second most watched sport in America trailing only football?

I wasnt trying to make it a racial issue. Middle America is a major factor and they tend to focus more on sports other than the NBA.There is a reason why shows like Glee and Modern Family are major hits yet its very hard to find people on message boards that watch it.

Same as girls from ages 8-16 have a major factor in determining this current generations top artists.

-p.tiddy-
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
international soccer does way better in the us than MLS. euro 2012 is averaging well over a million viewers per match, and english premier league usually does okay on espn. it's comparable to regular season hockey
which is very low...

-p.tiddy-
06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Yesterday was fathers day duh.
should increase ratings...

XMas makes NFL ratings go up...families together watching TV

t-rex
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm not being hostile...

I said that the World Cup might be the only thing that grabs ratings soccer relatd here...but the sport in general is NOT popular in the US outside of grade school peewee leagues...

basketball grabs ratings at the college and pro level...same with football

the World Cup happens once EVERY FOUR YEARS

Fair point.

To be clear, nobody here is saying the World Cup is bigger than the NBA or NFL, because it certainly is not. And it does have an "Olympics" theme to it, that brings in a larger audience that normally may not even care about sports. (I'm to the point where I don't even view Olympics TV ratings as sports TV ratings anymore.)

But at the same time, 23 million people for one soccer game is still a good number. And the Women's World Cup last year did very well. ESPN is putting more into soccer coverage because it is a growing sport. If you look at the numbers, I don't think its far fetched to call the sport more popular than the NHL.

Question? Why do you hate soccer?

Bigsmoke
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Or Spurs vs Celtics so they could really build a natural NBA story line. Especially considering the connection between Duncan and the Celtics during Duncan's draft yr. Also the battle between he and Garnett, there were simply things there that would have sold themselves because they existed and were raw

I sure as hell wouldnt watch that boring shit.

t-rex
06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I wasnt trying to make it a racial issue. Middle America is a major factor and they tend to focus more on sports other than the NBA.There is a reason why shows like Glee and Modern Family are major hits yet its very hard to find people on message boards that watch it.

Same as girls from ages 8-16 have a major factor in determining this current generations top artists.

Oh, to be clear, there is a racial component to sports. NASCAR fans are not likely to be NBA fans. The NBA does very well in the West and in cities. It does not do well in rural American. NASCAR is exactly the opposite in terms of geographical popularity.

I only wanted to show that the racial element isn't enough to stop the NBA. Race is a factor. But it is a small factor. Having marketable stars, good promotion and a good product are what is most important to the success or failure of a sports league.

Bigsmoke
06-18-2012, 01:58 PM
10.4 isn't bad.

did the see the 2003 Finals?

t-rex
06-18-2012, 01:59 PM
which is very low...

True they are very low. But Soccer does not have a National TV contract with a major broadcast channel. Nor do they have an entire sports channel building around the sport almost exclusively.

Hockey has been given every single break on the planet and it still fails.

I would bet my next post:oldlol: that if NBC had the TV rights to the World Cup and put it on NBC, primetime, it would get better than the sad, pitiful, 1.8 TV :facepalm rating the NHL gets.

Of course, this really isn't fair in that almost anything would do better than the NHL in that time slot.:roll:

t-rex
06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
10.4 isn't bad.

did the see the 2003 Finals?

Agreed. During the 2003 and 2007 NBA Finals, I wanted to run and hide.:facepalm

10.4 is good number. I think I should have written the OP differently. It's creating a theme with regard to the game that really isn't true.

The 2012 Finals is still trending well ahead of the World Series.

KokeAyne
06-18-2012, 02:31 PM
The game that is being played on the court doesn't match the excitement this match up had on paper.

Vienceslav
06-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Fair point.

To be clear, nobody here is saying the World Cup is bigger than the NBA or NFL, because it certainly is not.

I don

t-rex
06-18-2012, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Vienceslav]I don

hawksdogsbraves
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
The game that is being played on the court doesn't match the excitement this match up had on paper.

Oh please, the first two games were great, and game three was alright

They may be down a bit from last year because Dallas is a much, much bigger market than OKC is. Overall though, the numbers are pretty good, and between the US Open and it being Father's Day, I wouldn't look too much into the dip on Sunday.

AK47DR91
06-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Not bad at all.

Father's Day, U.S. Open, Dale Jr winning, WWE No Way Out PPV.

sacredcow
It was fathers day, and as much as the day should be about dad and letting him watch the game, he still had to spend time with the family or listen to his wife ramble on and on while she doesn't make him a sandwich.

Dad is always getting the raw end of the deal.

t-rex
NASCAR Sprint Cup did a 3.1 overnight rating Sunday. The race was won by Dale Earnhardt Jr.who is one of the most popular drivers on the NASCAR circuit.

Sunday Sports Numbers

NBA-Finals Game 3, ABC, 10.4

Golf-U.S.OPEN, NBC, 6.3

NASCAR-Sprint 400, TNT, 3.1

MLB-Red Sox/Cubs ESPN, 1.0

boojitede
06-18-2012, 03:59 PM
It was fathers day...

Cowboy Thunder
06-18-2012, 05:04 PM
The apathetic crowd in Miami and doom-and-gloom Miami color scheme couldn't have helped.

Ratings will improve when the game comes back to OKC. People tune in to listen to/watch our fan base IMO. Makes the games much more enjoyable to see fans making noise.

Tarik One
06-18-2012, 05:38 PM
As good as Durant is, a lot of casual sports fans are watching him play for the first time.

t-rex
06-18-2012, 05:41 PM
The apathetic crowd in Miami and doom-and-gloom Miami color scheme couldn't have helped.

Ratings will improve when the game comes back to OKC. People tune in to listen to/watch our fan base IMO. Makes the games much more enjoyable to see fans making noise.

:oldlol:

I need to remind everyone that 10.4 is still an excellent number. Especially given the competition for the night.

Game 3 was the most watched game of the series so far. It was the most watched TV show Sunday night. And it dominated all of the key demographics. It also wiped out the U.S. Open in head to head competition.

So far all 3 NBA Finals games have drawn larger audiences than MLB's first 3 World Series games.

The number is only disappointing, because our expectations have grown so high.

PJR
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM

:roll:

Talk about delusional.

Foster5k
06-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Makes the games much more enjoyable to see fans making noise.

This clown watches NBA games just to watch the fans. :facepalm

senelcoolidge
06-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Boring Finals. Miami is not fun to watch and the Thunder don't look inspired.

Cowboy Thunder
06-18-2012, 06:17 PM

This clown watches NBA games just to watch the fans. :facepalm

By no means, but the game yesterday at Miami was noticeably less intense. Miami is just a horrible sports town and it effects television viewers. My girlfriend fell asleep and my Dad kept switching the channel to Saving Private Ryan. :confusedshrug: It was so boring that it lulled the Thunder to sleep and got Durant in foul trouble.

Miami is one of the devils favorite places and full of serial killers. Get the game back in God's country and you'll see your ratings sky rocket. :bowdown:

Foster5k
06-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Miami is one of the devils favorite places and full of serial killers. Get the game back in God's country and you'll see your ratings sky rocket. :bowdown:
:biggums:

ZenMaster
06-18-2012, 06:39 PM
By no means, but the game yesterday at Miami was noticeably less intense. Miami is just a horrible sports town and it effects television viewers. My girlfriend fell asleep and my Dad kept switching the channel to Saving Private Ryan. :confusedshrug: It was so boring that it lulled the Thunder to sleep and got Durant in foul trouble.

Is this what praying before games does to you?

NickTheQuick31
06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Im not watching, my hate of the whole Heat team has made the season over for me. Im not real huge on the Thunder either.

This doesn't feel like an NBA finals, it seems like a series full of douchebags competing to see who can wear the nerdiest pair of glasses at the post game press conference. Its not about basketball anymore with these teams, its all about "look at me and how f**king great I am". Im not racist, and that is my reason why I hate Miami, and OKC are not far away from being just as bad. Id take a San Antonio v Boston series any day.

Funnyfuka
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Racial thing?
white people prefer to watch white people perform, it's easier to identify with them. Just like black people prefer to watch black people perform, it's easier to identify with them.

Racism?

comerb
06-18-2012, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=t-rex]
Soccer is a very popular sport in the United States. [B]And its

YAWN
06-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Sucks for the PGA that Tiger laid an egg on Saturday. And then Tiger came out and shot 4 over par on his first 3 holes on Sunday eliminating any glimmer of hope for him. Killed PGA's chances of beating the NBA that night.

RazorBaLade
06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I've been hearing this same nonsense for 10 years now. I still don't know anyone who can name more than 1 soccer player.

messi ronaldo ronalhdino zidane henry

thats all i got

YAWN
06-18-2012, 11:27 PM
t-rex where are you getting your MLB ratings from? I googled it for shits and giggles and saw this for last years: game one 10.0, two 8.7, three 8.9, four 6.6, five 8.8, six 12.7, seven 14.7.

And going down the list to when either the yankees or red sox have been involved, they have massive numbers..

This is from your OP:
World Series
Game 1/8.7
Game 2/8.9
Game 3/6.6

Rekindled
06-19-2012, 12:10 AM

I need to remind everyone that 10.4 is still an excellent number. Especially given the competition for the night.

Game 3 was the most watched game of the series so far. It was the most watched TV show Sunday night. And it dominated all of the key demographics. It also wiped out the U.S. Open in head to head competition.

So far all 3 NBA Finals games have drawn larger audiences than MLB's first 3 World Series games.

The number is only disappointing, because our expectations have grown so high.

no. game one had a 11.8 rating

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/06/nba-finals-game-1-tv-overnight-rating-highest-in-a-decade/1#.T9_7k8WNskc

KokeAyne
06-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Here's my updated TV tracker comparing us to the other major sports.

NBA Finals
Game 1/9.9
Game 2/10.2
Game 3/10.4

World Series
Game 1/8.7
Game 2/8.9
Game 3/6.6

NHL Finals
Game 1 /1.8
Game 2/1.7

WNBA Finals
Game 1/0.30
Game 2/0.33
Game 3/0.33

2012 NFL Superbowl - 47.8

jaydacris
06-19-2012, 12:26 AM
more people need to watch figure skating

dat shiet's off da hook

t-rex
06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
I've been hearing this same nonsense for 10 years now. I still don't know anyone who can name more than 1 soccer player.

I was just going by the numbers. And by the numbers the World Cup did very well, both the men and women's division.

However the appeal of soccer does seem to depend a lot on your demographic profile. For instance, soccer did very well on spanish language TV (Univision). At this point Univision might be equal to a broadcast network in size and scope, but because it is a spanish language station, it goes unnoticed by mainstream media.

And if you are not spanish, you may not know the station even exists.

You are right in that every decade is suppose to be the decade that Soccer finally takes over America:oldlol: . That is never going to be the case because we have the NFL and other countries don't.

I think people who say that are crazy! Soccer will never be the #1 sport in this country, or be as popular here as it is overseas.

But could it grow to say, surpass the NHL? Absolutely. Based on TV numbers it probably already has.

Good discussion.:cheers:

t-rex
06-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Sucks for the PGA that Tiger laid an egg on Saturday. And then Tiger came out and shot 4 over par on his first 3 holes on Sunday eliminating any glimmer of hope for him. Killed PGA's chances of beating the NBA that night.

Tiger Woods drives the PGA. He may no longer be a "good guy". But his ability to attract audiences is still greater than anyone in the history of golf.

When people watch golf, they often wonder why (no matter what) the TV coverage is always built around Tiger, and the announcers seem as though they are pulling for him to do well. And the answer to that question is that's because they are pulling for him. They do want him to do well. Its simply much better for business.

I know as a casual Golf fan, I turned it off, once Tiger was out of the picture.

t-rex
06-19-2012, 07:22 AM
2012 NFL Superbowl - 47.8

No reasonable person in the history of ISH, has ever disputed the dominance of the NFL. We may go into reasons why it is the supreme sport of the land. But I think everyone here at this point, fully understands who is king of the sports landscape.

B-Easy8
06-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I haven't enjoyed the playoffs at all this season. The constant time outs, stops and ridiculous fouls that are called really making the game boring to watch. I haven't watched either game 2 or 3.

I used to be able to watch any game but now if it's not the Wolves then I can't watch.

t-rex
06-19-2012, 07:47 AM
t-rex where are you getting your MLB ratings from? I googled it for shits and giggles and saw this for last years: game one 10.0, two 8.7, three 8.9, four 6.6, five 8.8, six 12.7, seven 14.7.

And going down the list to when either the yankees or red sox have been involved, they have massive numbers..

This is from your OP:
World Series
Game 1/8.7
Game 2/8.9
Game 3/6.6

The 10.0 TV rating you have for game one is wrong.

The 10.0 average is the overall series average. Not a game average. The longer the series goes, the higher the TV rating. This is why it is better to go game by game for a more accurate "apples to apples" comparison.

The game by game ratings posted in the OP are correct.

As for sources, I love TV by the numbers, Sports Business daily, USA Today, and ESPN Mediazone. ESPN Radio is also very good. Colin Cowherd's show will frequently give TV ratings. Sirius' Mad Dog radio will too.

Wikipedia is also very helpful.

Here are the MLB World Series ratings. I think you just got your columns wrong with your last post. (But don't worry, it's happened to me too:oldlol:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

As for the Yankees, the last Yankees World Series involving NY and PHIL averaged an 11.7 TV rating. This is probably the best matchup baseball can get based on city MSA populations and team popularity. And the 11.7 rating is only slightly above the 10.6 rating average the Lakers/Celtics had in 2010.

As for the Red Sox, in 2007 they averaged a 10.6 TV rating, equaling the Lakers/Celtics series.

The problem for MLB, is that its cherry-picking to only look at Red Sox and Yankee World Series games. I like to take each sport in 3 year intervals and then make "apples to apples" comparisons. This gives a more accurate understanding of where each sport truly is with the American public today.

For instance I am sure David Stern would love an LA Laker/NY Knick NBA Finals, but that may never happen. So you have to go with the numbers and teams you have. This is why I frequently rag on the SA Spurs. They drive down the numbers and popularity of the NBA. That is not disputable.

Here are the TV averages for the last 3 World Series

2011-10.0
2010- 8.4
2009-11.7
Average-10.03

Here are the TV averages for the NBA Finals

2011-10.2
2010- 8.6
2009-10.6
Average-9.8

They are actually very close. And remember, nobody disputes the NBA has better demographics. There is this belief among the general public that MLB is more popular than the NBA. But the numbers just don't bare that out.

GOOD DISCUSSION!:cheers:

t-rex
06-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Here, this is interesting.

These are the top 10 TV markets for the Game 3.

Market // Rating

Oklahoma City 43.5

Miami-Fort Lauderdale 30.2

Tulsa 26.6

West Palm Beach 18.1

Cleveland 17.8

Memphis 15.6

New Orleans 14.0

San Antonio 14.0

Atlanta 13.6

Chicago 13.5

Source: ABC/ESPN

t-rex
06-19-2012, 07:52 AM
no. game one had a 11.8 rating

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/06/nba-finals-game-1-tv-overnight-rating-highest-in-a-decade/1#.T9_7k8WNskc

Good call. Thanks for the correction!:cheers:

konex
06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I know as a casual Golf fan, I turned it off, once Tiger was out of the picture.

Same here. And I'd have been switching back and forth if he was in it lol

Cowboy Thunder
06-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Here, this is interesting.

These are the top 10 TV markets for the Game 3.

Market // Rating

Oklahoma City 43.5

Miami-Fort Lauderdale 30.2

Tulsa 26.6

West Palm Beach 18.1

Cleveland 17.8

Memphis 15.6

New Orleans 14.0

San Antonio 14.0

Atlanta 13.6

Chicago 13.5

Source: ABC/ESPN