PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take for Kevin Durant to surpass Carmelo Anthony?

Kiddlovesnets
06-19-2012, 04:53 AM
With Lebron James as the best SF in this league so far, the competition for 2nd best SF is getting interesting. Carmelo Anthony is still the 2nd best SF right now, but Kevin Durant is coming close. How long it will take for Durant to finally surpass Melo? In 1 year or 2, 3-5 years, or never? Let's discuss.

Tenchi Ryu
06-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Durant is already better than Carmelo on a consistent basis. But one thing can be said about Melo, when he's hot, he's HOT. Has a case for best player in the league with his scoring when he's shooting lightouts. Problem is, he'll get hot, then when you need this hot streak, he disappears.

chains5000
06-19-2012, 04:56 AM
http://firstzombie.com.ar/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Raperodent.jpg

ForeverHeat
06-19-2012, 04:57 AM
l to the o l

Noyze
06-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Troll harder, anyone who actually watches basketball will tell you Durant is better, and has been for a while now.

Suckafree
06-19-2012, 05:24 AM
About -18 months

Dave3
06-19-2012, 05:28 AM
About as long as it's going to take Kobe to pass Eddie Jones. Probably in about 2 years. That Kobe is almost there!

BigTicket
06-19-2012, 05:37 AM
It'll take about -3 years.

QUIZZLE
06-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Durant's already passed him in my opinion. But I will say that if I could avoid anyone when they're totally in the zone him and Kobe would be my first two choices.

Da Doc04
06-19-2012, 06:33 AM
lmao...

jbryan1984
06-19-2012, 06:34 AM
I kinda thought he already did.

Walker
06-19-2012, 06:43 AM
With Lebron James as the best SF in this league so far, the competition for 2nd best SF is getting interesting. Carmelo Anthony is still the 2nd best SF right now, but Kevin Durant is coming close. How long it will take for Durant to finally surpass Melo? In 1 year or 2, 3-5 years, or never? Let's discuss.
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/4/8/4/1/0/1/thread-22884564137.jpeg

stallionaire
06-19-2012, 06:51 AM
I kinda thought he already did.

Yup.

Noof
06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Talk about failure

francesco totti
06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Amazing thread

SilkkTheShocker
06-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Durant is already better than Carmelo on a consistent basis. But one thing can be said about Melo, when he's hot, he's HOT. Has a case for best player in the league with his scoring when he's shooting lightouts. Problem is, he'll get hot, then when you need this hot streak, he disappears.

No he doesn't

stallionaire
06-19-2012, 07:30 AM
If Carmelo was on the Thunder I don't think they'd be in the Finals.

Enough said.

SilkkTheShocker
06-19-2012, 07:34 AM
2009 wants there thread back, OP.

ripthekik
06-19-2012, 07:41 AM
:lol

Rake2204
06-19-2012, 09:29 AM
It'll take about -3 years.
I was going to go with a negative answer as well, I just wasn't sure how long of a time period I was going to go with.

Human Error
06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Carmelo has absolutely zero case for best in the league. Even when he catches fire on offense he is still mediocre on defense, and a lot of NBA players can get hot and make them look better and fool idiotic/casual fans.

heavensdevil
06-19-2012, 09:42 AM
:wtf: worst thread ever. This is a joke right? :facepalm

SilkkTheShocker
06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Melo is by far the most overrated player in the NBA.

Brickz187
06-19-2012, 10:23 AM
SF is a race between Lebron and Durant. Everyone else is at distance. Melo is 3rd, but a farrrrrrrrr third.

Chrono90
06-19-2012, 10:31 AM
They're both talented but Durant puts in more work on his game since day 1 and he surpassed Melo already.

Look at the the difference in their game since day 1. KD changed a lot more than Melo did.

maybeshewill13
06-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Why are you still on this board? Haven't you been humiliated enough?

Phenith
06-19-2012, 12:23 PM
The question should be how long it will take for Melo to drop off from being the 3rd best SF.

Dragonyeuw
06-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Did we teleport back to 2010? Because that's the last time this was a legitimate question.....

miles berg
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Like everyone else, Durant has been better for a couple of years now and at this point is on another tier above Melo.

guy
06-19-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't think Melo was even better then Paul Pierce until this year.

Melo must be really jealous of Durant right now knowing that he was basically hyped up to be Lebron's main rival ala Magic/Bird which is what it looks like it will be for a while.

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 02:49 PM
If Carmelo was on the Thunder I don't think they'd be in the Finals.

Enough said.

If Durant were on the Knicks, he would lose in the first round to the Heat just like Carmelo did. Carmelo is playing with Bibby and Douglas as his PG the 2 years in the playoffs. Durant plays with Westbrook.

Enough said.

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 02:52 PM
They're both talented but Durant puts in more work on his game since day 1 and he surpassed Melo already.

Look at the the difference in their game since day 1. KD changed a lot more than Melo did.

How does Durant put in more work since day 1? Melo took a 17 win Denver team to the playoffs in his first year. Durant took a 31 win Sonics team to 20 wins and didn't make the playoffs until his 3rd year in the league. It wasn't until Westbrook and Harden came around that the Thunder turned around.

3peated
06-19-2012, 02:55 PM
How does Durant put in more work since day 1? Melo took a 17 win Denver team to the playoffs in his first year. Durant took a 31 win Sonics team to 20 wins and didn't make the playoffs until his 3rd year in the league. It wasn't until Westbrook and Harden came around that the Thunder turned around.

no one is denying that durant has help, but in that time durant has become a better overall player. i love watching melo play, he had the potential to be lebron's rival, he didn't take it, when he tried to do what lebron did, he picked a losing franchise, he made bad decision, and doesn't have the drive to be the best. his attitude in games shows that, he's always joking and laughing and smiling at everyone, good for him to be happy, but you can tell he doesn't care about being #1, and thats why he wont be.

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 03:00 PM
no one is denying that durant has help, but in that time durant has become a better overall player. i love watching melo play, he had the potential to be lebron's rival, he didn't take it, when he tried to do what lebron did, he picked a losing franchise, he made bad decision, and doesn't have the drive to be the best. his attitude in games shows that, he's always joking and laughing and smiling at everyone, good for him to be happy, but you can tell he doesn't care about being #1, and thats why he wont be.

I agree that Durant is the better player, but the shit people say that makes it seem like Melo hurts his teams is completely unfounded. You have to go back to Bird and Magic to find a player that has been the leader for his team and taken them to the playoffs every year of his career. Melo did this in the very tough Western Conference during Duncan's prime, and Kobe's prime. Unless he had a super team, there was no way to beat those guys during that time. But Melo gets crucified for losing to the Spurs and Lakers all the time.

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
http://www.538host.com/carmelo.png

Iverson was a career 51% TS player before he got to Denver. With Carmelo he was a 56% TS player.

How does he make players worse?

guy
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
If Durant were on the Knicks, he would lose in the first round to the Heat just like Carmelo did. Carmelo is playing with Bibby and Douglas as his PG the 2 years in the playoffs. Durant plays with Westbrook.

Enough said.

No. Cause they wouldn't be a 7th seed and have to face the Heat in the first round.

upside24
06-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Are you ****ing kidding me? I hope OP is not really this retarded.

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
No. Cause they wouldn't be a 7th seed and have to face the Heat in the first round.

They would have lost just as many games with D'Antoni coaching with Durant instead of Melo. Once they fired D'Antoni, the Knicks went 18-6 down the stretch with Melo carrying the team, while Amare and Lin were out with injuries. When they were healthy and had Lin, Amare, and Melo in the same game the Knicks were 7-1.

But let's continue to use the totality of the season with an imbecile coach for the majority as an albatross around Melo's neck, because it fits so well with the storyline.

pauk
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
He has already surpassed him

Owl
06-19-2012, 03:49 PM
3-4 years into the past

ClutchOver9000
06-19-2012, 04:53 PM
When people start using the fact that Melo smiles alot as a strike against him, you have no chance arguing w/ these ppl.

Which is funny when you consider that the best player in the league, LBJ pulls off shenanigans like this;

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/158389_o.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1144336/hahaha.gif

NumberSix
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Carmelo Anthony? lol. What? lol

I don't know, that's a tough one. When will KD surpass Steve Novak? lol

LMAO @ "surpass Carmelo Anthony". lololol. Fck outta here.

spacebump
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Enough said.

When Melo had help on some of those Denver teams he still didn't do anything. Put Durant on some of those teams and they may win.

When will NYK be more interested in winning than jersey sales?

KG215
06-19-2012, 05:12 PM

I've seen you use this argument multiple times an it holds zero weight. In 2007 they had Ray Allen and Rashad Lewis. And say what you want about Rashard Lewis now, but in 2006-2007 he averaged 22-7-2.5 and shot nearly 40% from three. The next season, both were gone, and OKC was suddenly relying on rookie Durant, Chris Wilcox, and 30 year old Wally Szczerbiak as their best players.

And of course it wasn't until Harden and Westbrook came around that the Thunder turned around. Until then, Earl Watson, Nick Collison, and Jeff Green were his best teammates. That's like saying Jordan's Bulls didn't turn around or make "the leap" until Pippen and Horace Grant came around. And no, I'm not comparing Durant to Jordan or the Thunder to those Bulls teams.

ZenMaster
06-19-2012, 05:27 PM
They would have lost just as many games with D'Antoni coaching with Durant instead of Melo. Once they fired D'Antoni, the Knicks went 18-6 down the stretch with Melo carrying the team, while Amare and Lin were out with injuries. When they were healthy and had Lin, Amare, and Melo in the same game the Knicks were 7-1.

But let's continue to use the totality of the season with an imbecile coach for the majority as an albatross around Melo's neck, because it fits so well with the storyline.

Talk about spewing BS as facts.

NuggetsFan
06-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I've seen you use this argument multiple times an it holds zero weight. In 2007 they had Ray Allen and Rashad Lewis. And say what you want about Rashard Lewis now, but in 2006-2007 he averaged 22-7-2.5 and shot nearly 40% from three. The next season, both were gone, and OKC was suddenly relying on rookie Durant, Chris Wilcox, and 30 year old Wally Szczerbiak as their best players.

And of course it wasn't until Harden and Westbrook came around that the Thunder turned around. Until then, Earl Watson, Nick Collison, and Jeff Green were his best teammates. That's like saying Jordan's Bulls didn't turn around or make "the leap" until Pippen and Horace Grant came around. And no, I'm not comparing Durant to Jordan or the Thunder to those Bulls teams.

Don't even bother. That 17 win team was also completely different than what Melo played with. Pretty sure that was the year Skita was starting some games :oldlol:

I guess Durant is better now. Melo gets unfairly shit on alot. If he turns it around next year he's still an elite player that deserves to be included in a top 10 list imo.

SilkkTheShocker
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Sarcastic always overrates Knicks trash

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Don't even bother. That 17 win team was also completely different than what Melo played with. Pretty sure that was the year Skita was starting some games :oldlol:

I guess Durant is better now. Melo gets unfairly shit on alot. If he turns it around next year he's still an elite player that deserves to be included in a top 10 list imo.

Tell me what year the Nuggets were supposed to advance past the first round, and how far were they supposed to go? The one bad playoff loss was to the Clippers, and that team was actually very good.

Every other year they were heavy underdogs.

Smoke117
06-19-2012, 06:30 PM

Sarcastic you are one of the biggest idiots on this board, just stop talking. The Sonics only lost their two best players in Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis after that 2007 season (and they only played 55 and 60 games respectively) and then they got worse in 2008 Durants rookie season...no shit, really? Apparently nineteen year old Kevin Durant was supposed lead the team to the playoffs all by himself after they just lost their two best players. Sarcastic logic and reasoning at it's finest. ****ing moron.

KG215
06-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Sarcastic you are one of the biggest idiots on this board, just stop talking. The Sonics only lost their two best players in Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis after that 2007 season (and they only played 55 and 60 games respectively) and then they got worse in 2008 Durants rookie season...no shit, really? Apparently nineteen year old Kevin Durant was supposed lead the team to the playoffs all by himself after they just lost their two best players. Sarcastic logic and reasoning at it's finest. ****ing moron.

I already made this post but he'll probably ignore yours, too. It's not just that the Sonics lost their two best players (who accounted for nearly 50 ppg when healthy) but it's the fact that all of a sudden a 19 year old Durant, Chris Wilcox, and Wally Szczerbiak were their three best players. Sarcastic has used that exact same argument several other times in "Durant vs Carmelo" arguments.

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 07:23 PM

19 year old Melo led the Nuggets to the playoffs in his first year. Next best scorers were Andre Miller and Voshon Leonard. Take Melo off that team, and they are in the lottery.

ZenMaster
06-19-2012, 07:30 PM
19 year old Melo led the Nuggets to the playoffs in his first year. Next best scorers were Andre Miller and Voshon Leonard. Take Melo off that team, and they are in the lottery.

Take Miller, Leonard, Camby or Nene off that team and they're in the lottery as well.

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Take Miller, Leonard, Camby or Nene off that team and they're in the lottery as well.

Take Ibaka, Westbrook, and Harden off the current Thunder and they are in the lottery too.

NumberSix
06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Who the hell is Carmelo Anthony that anybody needs to surpass him?

tpols
06-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Take Ibaka, Westbrook, and Harden off the current Thunder and they are in the lottery too.
No they're not.. maybe 7-8 seed

ZenMaster
06-19-2012, 07:36 PM

You seriously think OKC don't go to the playoffs without 1 of those guys?

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 07:47 PM
You seriously think OKC don't go to the playoffs without 1 of those guys?

I thought you meant all of them.

04 Nuggets with Miller, Leonard, Nene, and Camby as the core is winning 25 games at best. Just slightly above their win total of 17 the year before.

Also Harden, Westbrook, and Ibaka >>> Miller Leonard, Nene, and Camby

TheBluest
06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Melo is by far the most overrated player in the NBA.

Naaaaahhhh D-Rose got that on lock

NuggetsFan
06-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Tell me what year the Nuggets were supposed to advance past the first round, and how far were they supposed to go? The one bad playoff loss was to the Clippers, and that team was actually very good.

Every other year they were heavy underdogs.

Dude WTF. I was commenting on you saying how the Thunder regressed(which KG pointed out as laughable :oldlol: ) and how you keep saying how Melo drastically improved a 17 team win alone without any context.

:biggums:

NuggetsFan
06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
04 Nuggets with Miller, Leonard, Nene, and Camby as the core is winning 25 games at best. Just slightly above their win total of 17 the year before.

Last time I'm going to tell you this but those teams were so different it's not even funny. Melo was a huge reason for Denver making the playoffs(shoulda won ROY probably) but this huge increase your always talking about is just down right silly.

That 17 win team was filled was LEGIT scrubs. Skita started like 10+ games that year. Juwan Howard was a starter. Ryan Bowen started games, Vincent Yarbourgh and Junior Harrington started games. Camby barely even played. Posey didn't play alot of games.

When Melo went to the playoffs the next year the team wasn't the same. He had Andre Miller for a full 82. Nene for 70+, Camby for 70+, Voshon Leonard playing instead of Chris f*cking Whitney.

Just enough.

tpols
06-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Last time I'm going to tell you this but those teams were so different it's not even funny. Melo was a huge reason for Denver making the playoffs(shoulda won ROY probably) but this huge increase your always talking about is just down right silly.

That 17 win team was filled was LEGIT scrubs. Skita started like 10+ games that year. Juwan Howard was a starter. Ryan Bowen started games, Vincent Yarbourgh and Junior Harrington started games. Camby barely even played. Posey didn't play alot of games.

When Melo went to the playoffs the next year the team wasn't the same. He had Andre Miller for a full 82. Nene for 70+, Camby for 70+, Voshon Leonard playing instead of Chris f*cking Whitney.

Just enough.
Do you think Melo has improved at all? Thats the big thing I see with him. He was already peaked out in skill for the most part when he came into the league.. he's always been a very good shooter and been able to use footwork to get turnarounds or layups.. I havent really seen any big improvement over the years.

Durant on the other hand has just figured out the game on a different level.

NuggetsFan
06-19-2012, 08:46 PM

It's funny because when he got their those "next best scorers" ended up outscoring him the post season on way better efficiency.

Not Melo's fault as he was a young buck but I get a kick out of how bad you are at pushing an agenda :oldlol:

NuggetsFan
06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Do you think Melo has improved at all? Thats the big thing I see with him. He was already peaked out in skill for the most part when he came into the league.. he's always been a very good shooter and been able to use footwork to get turnarounds or layups.. I havent really seen any big improvement over the years.

Durant on the other hand has just figured out the game on a different level.

He's matured alot. Defensively he's came pretty far. In '06 he was probably one of the worst defenders in the entire league. Nowadays I think people still give him more shit for defense just because of how bad he use to be it's hard to lose that rep. When he wants to do his defense can be pretty good. In that '09 playoff run he played excellent D. So in that area I'd say he's came along way. He's improved his 3 point shot.

I guess there hasn't been huge improvements. He's such a versatile scorer I think it's more mentality than anything. We've seen him shoot 48%+ in a year and than shoot 43%. Just needs to string it all together at the right time and the right place. His teams are always lower seeded so he has to face good teams in the playoffs and ends up laying an egg.

The Ownage
06-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Melo gets vastly underrated on this board but come on this must be a troll thread :oldlol: this would have been valid last year, now it's Lebron vs Durant.

Sarcastic
06-19-2012, 10:10 PM
It's funny because when he got their those "next best scorers" ended up outscoring him the post season on way better efficiency.

Not Melo's fault as he was a young buck but I get a kick out of how bad you are at pushing an agenda :oldlol:

19 year old Melo shot like crap vs a really good Minnesota team in his first playoff, and 21 year old Durant shot like crap vs a great Laker team in his first playoff.

Shit happens to young players in their first playoff run all the time. No shame in that.

Peteballa
06-19-2012, 10:17 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/3204840swsw.gif

SevereUpInHere
06-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Another great thread by one of the worst posters on the site.

I'm a huge Melo fan and Durant is clearly better.