PDA

View Full Version : LeBron's Playoff Run

Kurosawa0
06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
LeBron James' averages in the 2012 playoffs? 30.5 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 5.3 apg on 50% shooting. How many times did Michael, Magic or Larry do that? ZERO.

Dirk last year had 27.7 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.5 apg on 49% shooting.

Shaq? Nope. Never had the assists.

Duncan? Nope. Never averaged 30.

Kobe? Nope. Never grabbed the 10 rebounds a game.

I know LeBron's going to get a lot of love over the next week, but are we underrating his run? These are "OH MY GOD!" numbers.

Seriously, we have a player in the playoffs averaging 30-10-5 on 50% shooting. Think about that. Not just for a series or a couple of games. That's what LeBron has averaged over 22 playoff games.

Brickz187
06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
This playoff run for Lebron will go down in history, even more so if the Heat win the next game.

Carbine
06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't think anyone is going to argue that this wasn't an all-time great performance in the playoffs.

CelticBaller
06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
lockout season :oldlol:

KingBeasley08
06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
simply legendary :bowdown:

one of the greatest playoff runs ever.

Mr. Incredible
06-20-2012, 11:14 AM
lockout season :oldlol:
HAHA Stay Salty!!! :roll: :oldlol: :lol

Foster5k
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Epic.

Jameerthefear
06-20-2012, 11:16 AM
simply legendary :bowdown:

one of the greatest playoff runs ever.
Not really imo.
Yeah the stats are good but I've never really felt that "wow" moment during these finals.

kurt_rambis
06-20-2012, 11:16 AM
statistically it's crazy how similar he is to bird. it's almost a mirror image of larry in his prime

CelticBaller
06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
HAHA Stay Salty!!! :roll: :oldlol: :lol
stay dickriding :oldlol:

RaininTwos
06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Not really imo.
Yeah the stats are good but I've never really felt that "wow" moment during these finals.
:durantunimpressed:

KingBeasley08
06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
stay dickriding :oldlol:

whats with bandwagoners of other teams calling out other bandwagoners lately? :lol

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Gotta give credit where its due. Lebron is re-writing the history books with this fantastic playoff run.

Top 5 talent all-time. :applause:

Kurosawa0
statistically it's crazy how similar he is to bird. it's almost a mirror image of larry in his prime

Except Bird never averaged 30 a game. Barkley hit it on the head the other night. He said we've never asked a superstar to do all the things LeBron's asked to do.

CelticBaller

whats with bandwagoners of other teams calling out other bandwagoners lately? :lol
this is my second account :oldlol:

Dictator
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Michael Jordan, wilt.....had better stats

Wilt put up 37 20 6

CelticBaller
06-20-2012, 11:22 AM

:oldlol: @ you calling me bandwagoner :facepalm

guy
06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
LeBron James' averages in the 2012 playoffs? 30.5 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 5.3 apg on 50% shooting. How many times did Michael, Magic or Larry do that? ZERO.

Dirk last year had 27.7 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.5 apg on 49% shooting.

Shaq? Nope. Never had the assists.

Duncan? Nope. Never averaged 30.

Kobe? Nope. Never grabbed the 10 rebounds a game.

I know LeBron's going to get a lot of love over the next week, but are we underrating his run? These are "OH MY GOD!" numbers.

Seriously, we have a player in the playoffs averaging 30-10-5 on 50% shooting. Think about that. Not just for a series or a couple of games. That's what LeBron has averaged over 22 playoff games.

You're mainly talking about just championship runs right?

How many players have averaged 31/6/8 on 52% like Jordan in 91?

How many players have averaged 22/8/12 on 54% like Magic did in 87?

How many players have averaged 26/10/7 on 50% like Bird did in 86?

Lebron hasn't done any of those. They've all put up dominant statlines. Its arbitrary though when the criteria is that specific. So that doesn't mean much. Lebron is putting up an all-time great playoff run though.

It's A VC3!!!
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Can we let other people make these threads other then LeBeon fans?:facepalm

LeBron is one win away from his first ever ring. As a basketball fan, I would have loved to see him win it with the Cavs but I'm sure he will be happy once he wins it.

It's funny because before LeBron haters were saying "he doesn't have any rings, he sucks"

Now they are so low and hate their lives so much that they will say" he only has one ring, he still sucks"

Well that one ring is more then you haters will ever have. I cannot wait for those haters to shut their mouths once LeBron wins.

kurt_rambis
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Except Bird never averaged 30 a game. Barkley hit it on the head the other night. He said we've never asked a superstar to do all the things LeBron's asked to do.
yeah true, but it's still very similar. lebron always get compared to magic, sometimes jordan, but i think he's way closer to bird than those guys

larry's 1988 reg. season he went 29.9/9.3/6.1

Kurosawa0
06-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Lebron hasn't done any of those. They've all put up dominant statlines. Its arbitrary though when the criteria is that specific. So that doesn't mean much. Lebron is putting up an all-time great playoff run though.

I'm not saying LeBron's run is better than any ever or anything. Just that it's pretty damn remarkable and it seems to be getting very little attention. Honestly, Dirk got more for his run last year and LeBron's been better.

TheBluest
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
He's basically had two great games

Game 5 against the Celtics and Game 3(?) against the Pacers.....otherwise it's been pretty much regular season Lebron. Nothing spectacular but nothing bad either. Not to mention how much he's been paraded to the line this playoff run so the stats don't truly tell the story. He's still had some 4rth qrt botch jobs or somewhat disappearing act....it's just that since he hasn't fell off like he did the past 2 yrs in the playoffs fans want to trump him up more than necessary

Actually the Playoffs in general have been more about the refs....

If I had to say what are the most memorable moments in the Playoffs this season they go as follows....

1. Rondo's game 2 performance

2. Westbrook's game 4 performance

3. Lebron's game 5 performance

4. Clippers' comeback Game 1 against Grizzlies

5. Spurs sweeping 1rst 2 series

6. Wade's game 4 performance

longtime lurker
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Lebron has always put up gaudy numbers which is no surprise considering how much he has the ball in his hands. Keep your stats its all about the championships. Besides you're using bias criteria. I'm sure if you look it up there are other players that have put up amazing numbers throughout the playoffs but don't fit under the 30-10-5 criteria. Hypothetically is averaging 33 points, 12 boards and 4.4 assists on 48% shooting any less impressive?

KingBeasley08
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM

i aint a heat fan brah. cant say the same about you and the celtics? was your old account 'lakersballer' :roll:

Kurosawa0
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
yeah true, but it's still very similar. lebron always get compared to magic, sometimes jordan, but i think he's way closer to bird than those guys

larry's 1988 reg. season he went 29.9/9.3/6.1

They never do the Bird comparison because Bird was a great shooter, but their roles are very similar. If LeBron wins a couple of rings playing at the level he is, he'll be knocking on the Best Small Forward Ever door.

CelticBaller
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
i aint a heat fan brah. cant say the same about you and the celtics? was your old account 'lakersballer' :roll:
ofc you aint a heat fan, you a bron dickrider :oldlol:

:coleman:

InfiniteBaskets
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Not really imo.

His numbers have been amazing and he's imposed his dominance all throughout. I know what you mean though, I really want him to cap it off with a game-winning buzzer beating next game at home, that would be the cherry on top.

guy
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm not saying LeBron's run is better than any ever or anything. Just that it's pretty damn remarkable and it seems to be getting very little attention. Honestly, Dirk got more for his run last year and LeBron's been better.

I don't get that feeling. People were only talking about Dirk's run AFTER it was over cause no one expecting them to win it. Lebron's has been getting alot of pub throughout the playoffs.

Kurosawa0
06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't get that feeling. People were only talking about Dirk's run AFTER it was over cause no one expecting them to win it. Lebron's has been getting alot of pub throughout the playoffs.

After Dirk's huge game 1 against OKC I saw several people talking about his run in an historical perspective. I haven't seen that for LeBron at all. Of course they've mentioned the historical prospect of a ring, but not really about how he's playing historically.

KingBeasley08
06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
ofc you aint a heat fan, you a bron dickrider :oldlol:

:coleman:
I prefer to say that I'm a fan of Greatness

longtime lurker
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM

Cosign. Not only was Dirks run more talked about because it was unexpected look who he beat. Swept the defending champs, dismantled this same Okc team that's in the finals this year and beat the power house big 3 Miami Heat with the same Lebron that's being talked about in this thread. Even then Dirk got overrated. The Heat mean while beat a severely undermanned Knicks team, the Pacers and an old Boston team took them to 7. They've looked great against Okc, but its not anything that wasn't expected. When the Heat win a ring Lebron is going to get all the Jordan comparisons anyways so I don't know how he's being undervalued.

guy
06-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Cosign. Not only was Dirks run more talked about because it was unexpected look who he beat. Swept the defending champs, dismantled this same Okc team that's in the finals this year and beat the power house big 3 Miami Heat with the same Lebron that's being talked about in this thread. Even then Dirk got overrated. The Heat mean while beat a severely undermanned Knicks team, the Pacers and an old Boston team took them to 7. They've looked great against Okc, but its not anything that wasn't expected. When the Heat win a ring Lebron is going to get all the Jordan comparisons anyways so I don't know how he's being undervalued.

I'd say your competition argument against Lebron is irrelevant. They played the majority of the 2nd and 3rd rounds without Bosh. They were undermanned a swell.

Odinn
06-20-2012, 11:44 AM
At all-time great level. But not goat level.

Ketchup
06-20-2012, 11:46 AM

They played without Bosh for the large majority, and Lebron carried. Every time on the brink of elimination Bron stepped up and had 35/45 point games it seemed.

It's largely not talked about, because this in fact is what is expected from Lebron. He has a 40 point game, and people seem to go 'yeah, but he's Lebron'...
Kinda shows how good the guy is.

arifgokcen
06-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Barkley said it best.

We've never asked a superstar to do all the things LeBron's asked to do.

He is the most unique player we have ever seen in this league.In terms of pure talent level,even MJ doesn't come close.Dont get me wrong i am not comparing him to jordan or all-time greats.

If he had the right team from start like durant did we would probably be calling him GOAT.

Kurosawa0
06-20-2012, 11:48 AM
At all-time great level. But not goat level.

I'm not saying it's the greatest run ever, but one of them. At this point, to pretend LeBron isn't in that Michael, Magic or Bird level as an individual talent is ridiculous. He's got to fill out his resume a bit more, but talent and skill-wise, he's right there.

That's all I was saying. You no longer can legitimately say LeBron isn't one of the greatest players ever and still claim to know anything about the game.

Scholar
06-20-2012, 11:50 AM
If the Heat win a championship, I can see LeBron's Playoff run being considered one of the top individual streaks in NBA history. It'll definitely rank among the elite.

With that said, assuming the Heat don't win a championship, this run will easily be forgotten in a few seasons.

longtime lurker
06-20-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd say your competition argument against Lebron is irrelevant. They played the majority of the 2nd and 3rd rounds without Bosh. They were undermanned a swell.

They still had Lebron and Dwade plus all their role players. That's better than anything the teams they faced were throwing out. The completely blew out Boston in game 6 with a minimal contribution from Bosh. Injuries are a part of the game. I don't see posters bringing up the undermanned argument considering that the Celtics were missing Jeff Green, Avery Bradley and Wilcox. Either way the competition Dirk faced was a lot more impressive than the Heat this year.

It's A VC3!!!
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Barkley said it best.

We've never asked a superstar to do all the things LeBron's asked to do.

He is the most unique player we have ever seen in this league.In terms of pure talent level,even MJ doesn't come close.Dont get me wrong i am not comparing him to jordan or all-time greats.

If he had the right team from start like durant did we would probably be calling him GOAT.

Actually Phil Jackson said it best. LeBron is much different from Kobe and MJ because Kobe and MJ are strictly score first mentality players. You expect Kobe to average 10 rebounds when he's played with Shaq, Bynum and Pau?
You expect Wade to consistently be effective. Who else will get the Heat assists. Only LeBron is capable of consitently doing that. Bosh is an alright rebounder but if LeBron doesn't rebound, nobody does.

The Heat have no choice but to ask LeBron to do everything.

Ketchup
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
They still had Lebron and Dwade plus all their role players. That's better than anything the teams they faced were throwing out. The completely blew out Boston in game 6 with a minimal contribution from Bosh. Injuries are a part of the game. I don't see posters bringing up the undermanned argument considering that the Celtics were missing Jeff Green, Avery Bradley and Wilcox. Either way the competition Dirk faced was a lot more impressive than the Heat this year.

Green didn't play all year. Wilcox... They beat the Heat in the regular season without him.

Avery is a big loss, but is he the 3rd best player on the team? No. Losing your third best player is a big deal, particularly when it is a top heavy team.

TylerOO
06-20-2012, 11:57 AM
He's basically had two great games

Game 5 against the Celtics and Game 3(?) against the Pacers.....otherwise it's been pretty much regular season Lebron. Nothing spectacular but nothing bad either. Not to mention how much he's been paraded to the line this playoff run so the stats don't truly tell the story. He's still had some 4rth qrt botch jobs or somewhat disappearing act....it's just that since he hasn't fell off like he did the past 2 yrs in the playoffs fans want to trump him up more than necessary

Actually the Playoffs in general have been more about the refs....

If I had to say what are the most memorable moments in the Playoffs this season they go as follows....

Lebrons game 6 against Bpston is EASILY the best game this whole year

Rysio
06-20-2012, 11:58 AM
weak rules, barley double teamed, weak competition, back in late 90's early 00's those stats would look more like 24/6/4 42% if that.

Bigsmoke
06-20-2012, 12:01 PM

oh shit :lol :roll: :lol

guy
06-20-2012, 12:02 PM

I agree that Dirk's competition was better, I just don't agree that Lebron's was bad or something. His playoff run has still been better then Dirk's last year.

Mr. Incredible
06-20-2012, 12:03 PM
stay dickriding :oldlol:You stopped crying yet? :lol

longtime lurker
06-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Lebrons game 6 against Bpston is EASILY the best game this whole year

Lol yeah I don't know how anyone can dispute that. In terms of context and having your back to the wall. Game 6 Lebron was amazing.

The Iron Fist
06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
A superstar never asked us to witness and check his stats either.
As another poster said, despite all the stats, there really isnt a "wow" moment. Add to the fact that Chalmers and Battier are carrying him and well, you know, its really not that big of a deal.

guy
06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Actually Phil Jackson said it best. LeBron is much different from Kobe and MJ because Kobe and MJ are strictly score first mentality players. You expect Kobe to average 10 rebounds when he's played with Shaq, Bynum and Pau?
You expect Wade to consistently be effective. Who else will get the Heat assists. Only LeBron is capable of consitently doing that. Bosh is an alright rebounder but if LeBron doesn't rebound, nobody does.

The Heat have no choice but to ask LeBron to do everything.

Jordan has had championship runs where he's put up more ppg and apg then Lebron is putting. Other players have had championships runs where they put up more of 2 of ppg, apg, or rpg. Lebron isn't doing EVERYTHING. He's doing alot and he's putting up alot of great numbers cause he's just dominant. But he's not not getting help.

comerb
06-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Not really imo.

Did you even watch game 6 against the Celtics?

The Iron Fist
06-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Did you even watch game 6 against the Celtics?
Do you even know what "the finals" are?

comerb
06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Do you even know what "the finals" are?

Did you watch last night where he hit a 3 in the waning minutes while barely able to walk?

****in haters :facepalm

caliman
06-20-2012, 12:23 PM

So you would put Rondo's and Westbrook's performances above LeBron's even though they lost? And his came in a much bigger game, staving off elimination on the road? That's curious to say the least. Hell, I would put LeBron's 40/18 in Game 4 against Indiana over what Rondo and Wesbrook did.

ShaqAttack3234
06-20-2012, 01:06 PM
It's a great run, but as others have pointed out, you can make similar statements about other runs.

How many players have averaged over 30/15 in a playoff run of at least 15+ games like Shaq did in '01? Kareem in '74 is the only one aside from Shaq. Or 20+ games like Shaq did in '00? None. Or a championship run? Also None.

In fact, how many have averaged over 25/15 for championship runs? Aside from Shaq in '00 and '01, you only have Moses in '83(in 13 games) and Kareem in '71(in 14 games).

How many have averaged 20/15/5 in 15+ playoff games like Duncan did over 24 playoff games in '03? Wilt in '67 over 15 playoff games, and nobody else. Duncan also averaged 3+ bpg, Wilt obviously did too, though they weren't officially kept. Duncan was just shy of 25 ppg too at 24.7 ppg.

Michael Jordan is also the only player to average 35 ppg in 15+ playoff games in both '90 and '93, '93 obviously being the only title run. And he was at 35/7/6 in '93, and 37/7/7 on 51% in '90.

Hakeem Olajuwon actually pretty much did the 30/10/5 thing on 50% with averages of 33 ppg, 10.3 rpg and 4.5 apg on 53.1% shooting in 22 playoff games in the '95 playoffs vs vastly superior competition to what Lebron is facing.

It's a remarkable run, but such statistical requirements don't mean much. I mean is it more impressive than 25/15/5/3 like Duncan in '03(on 53%)? Or more impressive than MJ's 31/6/8, 52% '91, his 35/6/6, 50% '92 or 35/7/6, 48% '93? Shaq's back to back 30-31/15+/3+/2+, 56-57 FG% runs?

We've seen some incredible playoff runs, but if Lebron goes on to win the title, it wouldn't crack my top 5 for title runs with MJ's first 3peat, Hakeem;s back to back, Shaq's '00 and '01 and Duncan's '03 making up the top 8 in no order.

It would either be 9th or 10th, around the same spot as Kobe's '09 run. But if you go back further than the 90's, you have to consider Bird's '86(very consistent) as well as '84, definitely Kareem's '80 run, and Wilt's '67.

Tenchi Ryu
06-20-2012, 01:08 PM
So you would put Rondo's and Westbrook's performances above LeBron's even though they lost?
Celtics won in 86 and people STILL consider MJ's 63 point game one of the best moments of the postseason that year

caliman
06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Celtics won in 87 and people STILL consider MJ's 63 point game one of the best moments of the postseason that year

I can see that, being as how MJ set the scoring record and all.

But does what Rondo and Westbrook did in losses trump what LeBron did in an elimination game on the road? No, and it really isn't close. Five years from now no one will remember that Rondo and Westbrook scored 40 in a playoff game. But everyone will remember what LeBron did in Game 6 in Boston.

raid09
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Celtics won in 87 and people STILL consider MJ's 63 point game one of the best moments of the postseason that year

Yes... but let's not compare Jordan's game to Rondo's game 2.

I felt LeBron was equally as dominant in game 6, and brought home the win in an elimination game.

AK47DR91
06-20-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm not even gonna take the three Eastern Conference series into consideration because he was on God mode last year too. He has owned the East in the past 5 years, even if he didn't win all the series(because of his shitty teammates).

It's his Finals appearances that have been a major disappointment.

This Finals performance is on Shaq's three-peat level and Jordan's first three-peat level.

The Iron Fist
06-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Did you watch last night where he hit a 3 in the waning minutes while barely able to walk?

****in haters :facepalm
What does that have to do w the celtics in game six though?

BEAST Griffin
06-20-2012, 03:00 PM
As another poster said, despite all the stats, there really isnt a "wow" moment.

I agree. He needs the Kobe scowl and shoot a fade away over two defenders. He just doesn't have that Kobe killer instinct that makes you go "WOW".

Da_Realist
06-20-2012, 03:13 PM

This.

Cali Syndicate
06-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Finally?

OldSchoolBBall
06-20-2012, 03:35 PM

That's because Dirk was dominant both statistically and down the stretch of games, where he singlehandedly won several games for them in the 4th quarter. Lebron has the numbers, and a couple of truly dominant all-time level performances, but he hasn't been putting the team on his back every 4th quarter the way Dirk did.

All Net
06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Pretty epic stuff :applause:

alenleomessi
06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Kobe out of the top 10 all time list soon

lilgodfather1
06-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Kobe out of the top 10 all time list soon
because LeBron is so great that he deserves two spots?

bsyde82
06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Not trying to be a hater, I think Bron has been awesome in the playoffs, but let's not forget he played against the completely overmatched and discombobulated Knicks, the young Pacers, and the injured/old Celtics (a tough team no doubt who played to their max potential, but still).

Would he have done this in the West? :confusedshrug:

Seriously, not to take away from his awesome performances, but all the cards fell in his favor in terms of his path to the finals this year.

Big#50
06-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Top ten player. Like I have always said. Should leap frog Kobe by the end of the finals. Unless OKC come back. But without the refs, OKC is just ordinary.

KingBeasley08
06-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Not trying to be a hater, I think Bron has been awesome in the playoffs, but let's not forget he played against the completely overmatched and discombobulated Knicks, the young Pacers, and the injured/old Celtics (a tough team no doubt who played to their max potential, but still).

Would he have done this in the West? :confusedshrug:

Seriously, not to take away from his awesome performances, but all the cards fell in his favor in terms of his path to the finals this year.
About the West... he's dominated their champion so why not?

AK47DR91
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
I'll go on a limb and say the Pacers would be the third best team in the West, behind OKC and Spurs. They're definitely the dirtiest and most physical team in the league for sure.

The Celtics, we all know, have the biggest heart and mental toughness of all the teams. So don't discredit what the Heat did against the East as if it was cakewalk.

LeBron needs to close this thing out and this playoff run will be remembered as one of the best individual performances of all-time.

Meticode
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
About the West... he's dominated their champion so why not?
I think what he's saying is the West had better quality teams in each round. The playoffs is about two things. Adjustments and matchups. If you figure those things out, you can win.

d.bball.guy
06-20-2012, 06:20 PM
He's just bound to win this season. :applause: :applause: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Odinn
06-20-2012, 07:33 PM
IMO it's about to be one of the top 20 title runs ever if he gets the chip.

Without order;
1967 Wilt
1980 Kareem
1986 Bird
1987 Magic
1991 Jordan
1992 Jordan
1993 Jordan
1994 Hakeem
1995 Hakeem
2000 Shaq
2001 Shaq
2003 Duncan
These title runs are better than LeBron's current run without much to discuss about it. There are 12 runs.

After those runs, we have 1962 Russell, 1971 Kareem, 1983 Moses, 1984 Bird, 1988 Magic. IMO 1971, 1983 and 1984 runs better than 2012 LeBron. Arguably top 15. Not that arguably top 20. But not top 10.

Like I said; At all-time great level. But not goat level.

blacknapalm
06-20-2012, 07:36 PM
^ which is great company at the end of the day. this is basically the most impressive playoff/finals run since '03 duncan. lebron now has a signature finals series.

i think i've been most impressed with his consistency, energy level and stamina. just watching harden get gassed trying to guard him shows how much defense can kill your energy. lebron is his team's defensive anchor, guarding multiple positions and being their best offensive player all at the same time. he's been business and hasn't really celebrated much at all along the way. just impressive all-around

Human Error
06-20-2012, 07:48 PM
LeBron is asked to be the team's best scorer, rebounder, facilitator and he guards the opposing teams' best players regardless of position and so far he's been delivering. Charles Barkley is right that we've never asked any player to do this much.

Jacks3
06-20-2012, 09:45 PM
31/10/5/2/58% TS with elite defense. Future GOAT. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Kurosawa0
06-20-2012, 10:18 PM
This thread completely proves my point. It's not about LeBron being the best ever. That idea is ridiculous. It's that you now have to include him in the discussions about the top 10 or 15 players of all time.

NumberSix
06-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Tied for 1st with Shaq.

jlauber
06-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Let's see how it all plays out first.

It COULD be among the best ever.

The Iron Fist
06-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I agree. He needs the Kobe scowl and shoot a fade away over two defenders. He just doesn't have that Kobe killer instinct that makes you go "WOW".
He doesnt have five rings or two fmvps either.

KingBeasley08
06-20-2012, 11:42 PM
nope but hes got a playoff run better than any of those 5

NumberSix
06-20-2012, 11:47 PM
nope but hes got a playoff run better than any of those 5
DDDAAAAMMMMNNNNN!!!!!!!

it hurts because it's true.

Kurosawa0
06-21-2012, 12:01 AM
DDDAAAAMMMMNNNNN!!!!!!!

it hurts because it's true.

Just posting the numbers:

2000:

21.1 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.4 apg 44% FG

2001:

29.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 6.1 apg 47% FG

2002:

26.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.6 apg 43% FG

2009:

30.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 5.5 apg 46% FG

2010:

29.2 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 5.3 apg 46% FG

You could argue 2001, I guess. I'd say none of these are quite as good as LeBron's 30-10-5 on 50%. Still, some great numbers.

AK47DR91
06-21-2012, 12:05 AM

2000:

2001:

2002:

2009:

2010:

You could argue 2001, I guess. I'd say none of these are quite as good as LeBron's 30-10-5 on 50%. Still, some great numbers.
Why did you leave out 2004 and 2008? :D

tpols
06-21-2012, 12:07 AM

2000:

2001:

2002:

2009:

2010:

It can be argued that those stats Lebron put up are the best all time.. no ones touching that besides maybe.. Shaq.

But Lebron hasnt turned the tides of games like people with worse stats have. Lebron will give you 30/8/8 and lose the game down the stretch.. hes absolutely Shaq-like dominant in the normal flow of any game, and thats normally enough to put most teams away, but he isnt dominant at all in half court situations where a bucket is absolutely needed.. mostly because of his broke jumper.

Dirk last year probably had a better run despite having much worse numbers because he single handedly won his team a shit load of games. He was accumulating his stats in more crucial, game deciding moments.

talkingconch
06-21-2012, 12:08 AM
I thought his legacy was tainted due to joining Wade & bosh?

Kurosawa0
06-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Why did you leave out 2004 and 2008? :D

The post I quoted just mentioned Kobe's championship runs.

Jacks3
06-21-2012, 04:29 AM
:applause:

LBJ 23
06-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I thought his legacy was tainted due to joining Wade & bosh?

Well, you thought wrong.

guy
06-21-2012, 10:18 AM
It can be argued that those stats Lebron put up are the best all time.. no ones touching that besides maybe.. Shaq.

But Lebron hasnt turned the tides of games like people with worse stats have. Lebron will give you 30/8/8 and lose the game down the stretch.. hes absolutely Shaq-like dominant in the normal flow of any game, and thats normally enough to put most teams away, but he isnt dominant at all in half court situations where a bucket is absolutely needed.. mostly because of his broke jumper.

Dirk last year probably had a better run despite having much worse numbers because he single handedly won his team a shit load of games. He was accumulating his stats in more crucial, game deciding moments.

This is true. But Kobe hasn't done that nearly enough in any playoff run except for maybe 2001, which I would still argue he hasn't, to overcompensate that difference.

I would agree that if Lebron can win it all this year, its better then any Kobe Finals run. But I'd also say his Finals run last year was worse then any of Kobe's.

Lebron23
06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
LeBron needs to score 40 points in Game 5.

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Lebron has shot 47% so far in the Finals.

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 10:54 AM

It's true that there needs to be a better way to argue impact than just looking at numbers. For any player, not just Lebron and Kobe.

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Lebron has shot 47% so far in the Finals.

51% in the playoffs.

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 11:04 AM
51% in the playoffs.

Oh, you're right. Got my threads mixed up.