PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson wanted Kobe to be more like LeBron

EnoughSaid
06-20-2012, 01:21 PM
http://ocnnreport.com/2012/06/20/phil-jackson-wanted-kobe-to-be-more-like-lebron/

In a recent interview with the Palm Beach Post, Former Los Angeles Laker coach Phil Jackson spoke about the NBA Finals and talked a little bit about LeBron James. Here’s what Jackson had to say:

“Oh, they’re– they’re using LeBron every possible way they can. He’s such a great player. I still think his game is gonna grow. I still think it’s gonna grow. But he was like Scottie Pippen was to the Bulls. He’s maybe a pass first and shoot second player. Whereas, you know, Michael or Kobe are like, “I’m gonna shoot this ball.” Every time they get the ball, they’re looking to score. LeBron’s not like that. And I love that about him. But he also, when he goes after scoring, he’s also terrific. You want a player that can do both. I tried to get Kobe to do both for numbers of years, and he could. But his first instinct is to beat the guy that’s in front of him.”

The Zen Master laying down the law. :bowdown:

glidedrxlr22
06-20-2012, 01:25 PM
"Laker fans are rolling over in their graves."

http://talentmechanic.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/charles-barkley.jpg

Foster5k
06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Jordan never had Shaq and didn't need Shaq.

KingLeBronJames
06-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Not gonna happen anyway playing under the Triangle offense and no shooters on his team.

EnoughSaid
06-20-2012, 01:40 PM
If the coach wanted Kobe to act more like LeBron, what do the fans even have left to say? :roll:

It's A VC3!!!
06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
If the coach wanted Kobe to act more like LeBron, what do the fans even have left to say? :roll:
First of all, your a dumbass. A complete moron.

Glad I got that out of the way.

Your taking EVERYTHING out of context. I read that a 9 am this morning. There is nothing diss worthy from PJ. He's not that type of person. He still stated that Kobe is a great player, which we obviously know. He wanted Kobe to pass a bit more. What's wrong with that. Scoring is Kobe's mentality. 5 rings were the result of that. How can we fault him? I can't fault him but a complete moron such as yourself will find a way. PJ compliments LeBron and you devalue Kobe.:facepalm

AceManIII
06-20-2012, 01:48 PM
How is this an insult when he compared Kobe to Jordan right after?

Dictator
06-20-2012, 01:49 PM

So you think PJ wanted Michael to be more like Lebron too?:lol :oldlol: :facepalm

LA_Showtime
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
1. Read the quote again. Phil didn't even criticize Kobe.

2. Everyone, including Kobe's mother, has told the kid to pass the damn basketball.

Batz
06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Yay we're misinterpreting a quote...

General
06-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Turns out Kobe didn't need Shaq either, he won 2 championships without him:confusedshrug: They needed each other to three-peat though.

Deuce Bigalow
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Thee durak?

BGriffin's Dad
06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Phil likened Kobe to Jordan and Lebron to Pippen in that quote...

:lol

Heavincent
06-20-2012, 03:42 PM
You'd be a great journalist. Completely misinterpreted the quote and took it way out of context. You'd fit right in with the media :oldlol:

Nash
06-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Dat Lebron game with dat Kobe killer instinct and Phil Jackson coaching it..

:kobe: :lebronamazed:

lbj23clutch
06-20-2012, 03:48 PM
http://ocnnreport.com/2012/06/20/phil-jackson-wanted-kobe-to-be-more-like-lebron/

:facepalm

How old are you?

YAWN
06-20-2012, 03:54 PM
:oldlol:

he basically just said he was exactly like jordan, a guy that CAN play both ways but preferred to attack and score... but somehow people are reading this as a diss?

DFish
06-20-2012, 04:00 PM
"LeBron is like Scottie Pippen. He’s a pass first and shoot second player. Whereas, you know, Michael or Kobe are like, 'I’m gonna shoot this ball.' Every time they get the ball, they’re looking to score. LeBron’s not like that."

If you read that quote as a non-homer, would you think it's complementary of Lebron by comparing him to Pippen? Or disparaging of Kobe by comparing him to Jordan? :oldlol:

Kobe/Jordan attack the basket and look to score. LeBron/Pippen shy away from that pressure and look to dish it off to someone who can hit those clutch shots (see: Kobe/Jordan).

PickernRoller
06-20-2012, 04:36 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/all_faf82d_138252.jpg

DuMa
06-20-2012, 04:38 PM
i dont think you will ever quite understand what phil is trying to say. phil is the master at making you think twice about what he is saying. his double meanings have so much depth it will twist your mind thinking about it.

aceman
07-13-2012, 09:07 PM
LeBron/Pippen shy away from that pressure and look to dish it off to someone who can hit those clutch shots (see: Kobe/Jordan).

.. or pass to players who are open

G-Funk
07-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Wanted Kobe & Jordan to be more like Pippen???:kobe:

nnn123
07-13-2012, 09:16 PM
heat fan

TheeBeast
07-13-2012, 09:18 PM
i dont think you will ever quite understand what phil is trying to say. phil is the master at making you think twice about what he is saying. his double meanings have so much depth it will twist your mind thinking about it.

Actually, I don't think Phil was playing any mind tricks in that quote. Its the simple truth.

rawimpact
07-13-2012, 09:33 PM

But he needed a hall of fame guard, a hall of fame rebounder though?

NumberSix
07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
First of all, your a dumbass. A complete moron.
Win.

LAClipsFan33
07-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm so f*ckin tired of people talking about Pippen like he was a scrub

Anybody who says playing like Scottie Pippen is an insult is a f*ckin idiot

Keelyus
07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
When you have shaq downlow gobbling up the rebounds, I think it's safe to say shooting is a fine primary instinct....

mehyaM24
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM
...lebron has always been the better player....anyone who knows the game knows that....kobe has way less skills....lebron has more pts,rbs,ass.,stls,blks and shoots a higher %....in other words he is better in every way....kobe still leads the nba in missed shots.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-13-2012, 10:20 PM
"Laker fans are rolling over in their graves."

http://talentmechanic.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/charles-barkley.jpg
why?

btw, your only contribution to this forum is to troll Laker fans. Its pathetic.
seriously dude, you got issues. Maybe some of you blazer fans need therapy from the decades of abuse which the Lakers have smacked upon you?

I LUV KOBE
07-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Zen Master speaking the truth.. :bowdown:

Kobe=Jordan
Pippen=Lebrick

DetroitPistonFan
07-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Not gonna happen anyway playing under the Triangle offense and no shooters on his team.
This.

ducktape
07-13-2012, 10:52 PM
if kobe was more like lebron he would have wade and bosh on the lakers

NumberSix
07-13-2012, 11:30 PM
LeBron) Players willing to take much less money to play with him.

Kobe) Even for max contracts, they don't want to play with him.

PickernRoller
07-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Bumping this from the grave are we now? Mods delete...

WockaVodka
07-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I think it just goes to show you that it's impossible to play like LeBron and also have Kobe/MJ's killer instinct. If you have MJ/Kobe's killer instinct, you would also be a score-first player.

stickfigure87
07-13-2012, 11:38 PM

artest? malone? payton?

if you're taking much less money, you're usually ring chasing. howard isn't ring chasing - he wants to be the #1 option.

SAKOTXA
07-13-2012, 11:59 PM

Lol? :oldlol:

NumberSix
07-14-2012, 01:12 AM
artest? malone? payton?

if you're taking much less money, you're usually ring chasing. howard isn't ring chasing - he wants to be the #1 option.
Dude, it's just a :oldlol:

Don't take it so literal.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-14-2012, 01:28 AM

huh? thats just a fcuking flat out stupid statement.
Nash?
Gasol loves Kobe and the Lakers...doesnt want to go anywhere.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Don't take it so literal.
How else would someone take it?
Its not like you put an emoto in the statement to clarify sarcasm.
And you are a known troll.

unbreakable
07-14-2012, 02:34 AM
If Kobe played like Lebron he wouldnt have 5 rings.. he'd have 2 max and Shaq would have less rings as well.

LakersReign
07-14-2012, 02:50 AM

You haters are so desperately reaching here it's absolutely pathetic. If anything these comments only further solidify the fact that Kobe does have a MJ scorer's mentality, as told by the same guy who coached them both. Right there, it kills you idiots knock against him that's he's supposedly nothing like Jordan. Posting this only made you and bandwagon Lebron fans just like you, look that much more ret**ded. Being that it proves yet again, that 1) bandwagon Lebron fans aka Lebronytes have no reading comprehension skills AT ALL, 2) they have absolutely not one shred of common sense, and 3) they truly know nothing about basketball:facepalm

SpanishACB
07-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Very smart of a coach to say he didn't manage to get his star player to play like he wanted after so many years.

Does he even notice he's admitting to failure?

ripthekik
07-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Very smart of a coach to say he didn't manage to get his star player to play like he wanted after so many years.

Does he even notice he's admitting to failure?
Talk to the hand, oh wait he doesn't have enough fingers for his rings