PDA

View Full Version : Was Wade robbed of the MVP in 08-09?

The_LA_Blakers
06-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Lebron won it that year, but I think he got one of those 'default' MVP's. You know, the ones where the writers felt like it was his time, even if someone else was more deserving.

- Kind of like Kobe getting it in 2008 instead of Chris Paul (Kobe should have won it multiple times before this, but no one wanted to vote for him in the past because of the rape allegations and his bad rep at the time). They just thought it was about time he got one, and everyone had forgot about the rape allegations.

- Also like Dirk getting it the year before. Steve Nash should have won it 3 times in a row, but people seem to want to spread the wealth with the MVP's. If they gave it to Nash the two years prior, how could they not give it to him that year? He was the most valuable player of any team that year, so what if it was 3 years in a row?

Here's the stats compared between LBJ and Wade in 08-09:

DWade

Rbs: 5
Ast: 7.5
Blocks: 1.3
Steals: 2.2
FG: 49.1%
FT: 76.5%
3PT: 31.7%

LBJ

Pts: 28.4
Rbs: 7.6
Ast: 7.2
Blk: 1.1
Steals: 1.8
FG: 48.4
FT: 71.2
3PT: 34.4

Lebron had a much better team, but I think DWade deserved it that year, and it was his only legitimate shot at it. I remember arguing with Cleveland fans that Wade deserved it and they scoffed at me like I was an idiot. Wade had a better season.

So, what y'all say?

2LeTTeRS
06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Post the records the 2 team's had and it becomes evident that the right man won.

TheFan
06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, Wade had one of the best seasons ever for a SG... but he wasn't robbed, at least not by NBA standards... No player has won the MVP with a team team that won less than 50 games.

If Wade was robbed in 08-09, then Kobe was robbed too in 05-06.

tastystaci
06-21-2012, 10:54 AM
"Was Wade robbed of the MVP in 08-09?"

Not at all.

But Stern gifted him a FINALS mvp in '06 :banghead:

SilkkTheShocker
06-21-2012, 10:57 AM
The 09 Cavs wouldn't even be a playoff team without Lebron. Same with the 09 Heat, but Lebron led a team of poop to 66 wins

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 10:57 AM
LeBron's team won 66 games.

enough season.

guy
06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
No, but Lebron did rob him of a Finals MVP in 2011.

The Iron Fist
06-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Post the records the 2 team's had and it becomes evident that the right man won.
When did the award become a team achievement?

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM

since forever?

if u think this award has been handed out properly then i'm sure u are fine with Kobe having 1 MVP in 16 season and LeBron having 3 in 9 of them.

6JamesIsKing
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
LeBron's team won 66 games.

enough season.

Pretty Much this.

Wade was amazing that year, but Lebron was better and his team did better.

And if you take a look and compare their rosters that year you can see Wade had the better teammates compared to Lebron, but be was still able to win 66 games and Wade only won 42.

RaininTwos
06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I dont care about wins, Wade deserved that shit. Just like CP3 in 08 and Kobe in 06.

Kblaze8855
06-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Yea...he led a team with nobody worth discussing to 66 wins. And then next year they won 61 with them losing 5 games he sat out including 4 in a row....

The_LA_Blakers
06-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Pretty Much this.

Wade was amazing that year, but Lebron was better and his team did better.

And if you take a look and compare their rosters that year you can see Wade had the better teammates compared to Lebron, but be was still able to win 66 games and Wade only won 42.

Lol, what???? Better team, are you serious?

Old, injured, decrepid Jermaine O'neal?

Beasley?

Marion for half of a season?

Daequan Cook?

Chalmers?

James Jones?

:biggums: :biggums:

Mo Williams
Healthy 7'3 Z
Delonte West
Verajao

All of those guys are better than what Wade had.

Peteballa
06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
D-Wade was absolutely incredible that year, but so was LeBron. He wasn't "robbed", but he certainly had an MVP caliber season.

Kblaze8855
06-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Lol, what???? Better team, are you serious?

Old, injured, decrepid Jermaine O'neal?

Beasley?

Marion for half of a season?

Daequan Cook?

Chalmers?

James Jones?

:biggums: :biggums:

Mo Williams
Healthy 7'3 Z
Delonte West
Verajao

All of those guys are better than what Wade had.

No they arent. Mo Williams was the best player aside from Lebron and hes a 6th man on a good team(was an 8th man starting this season).

The entire 2009 Cavs roster aside from Lebron...doesnt produce a starter on a Healthy Bulls team now. Maybe Delonte for a stretch. Id take him at the 2.

But really...combine those teams no Lebron? Mo and Big Z start from the Cavs and Z it would depend on what part of the year it was.

Calling Jermain Oneal old, injured, and decrepid and propping up Big Z is funny. He wasnt providing 30 minutes a night after 2005 or so. And hes been old in reality or in mobility since like 2004.

He was a lot more important in theory than reality. They were on a 60 something win pace without him when he was traded to the Wizards and had to wait 30 days to return.

Brickz187
06-21-2012, 01:43 PM
It could have gone either way. As awesome as Wade was, we didn't have 66 wins that year, Cavs did. Do I think Wade should have won the MVP? Yeah and 09 is def. the year I thought he was winning, but can't count out what Lebron did either.

Deuce Bigalow
06-21-2012, 04:20 PM
No, Lebron was great that year.

Here are the years I think the MVP was robbed

'62 MVP - Wilt
'01 MVP - Shaq
'03 MVP - T-Mac
'05 MVP - Shaq
'06 MVP - Kobe
'07 MVP - Kobe

RRR3
06-21-2012, 04:25 PM

'62 MVP - Wilt
'01 MVP - Shaq
'03 MVP - T-Mac
'05 MVP - Shaq
'06 MVP - Kobe
'07 MVP - Kobe
:pimp::applause:

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 04:27 PM

'62 MVP - Wilt
'01 MVP - Shaq
'03 MVP - T-Mac
'05 MVP - Shaq
'06 MVP - Kobe
'07 MVP - Kobe

2003 KG > Tmac

not to mention that Duncan was better than both that year.

tastystaci
06-21-2012, 04:29 PM

'62 MVP - Wilt
'01 MVP - Shaq
'03 MVP - T-Mac
'05 MVP - Shaq
'06 MVP - Kobe
'07 MVP - Kobe

:roll: Undercover Racist

Looks like no white guy deserves MVP. Would you go back and take Bird's MVP's away if you had the chance also?

Deuce Bigalow
06-21-2012, 04:32 PM
:roll: Undercover Racist

Looks like no white guy deserves MVP. Would you go back and take Bird's MVP's away if you had the chance also?
Nash was not better than Kobe in '06.
And Shaq made the Heat into Title contenders, while the Lakers didn't even make the playoffs the year he left.

And my skin color is white, so why would I be racist towards white people?

Heavincent
06-21-2012, 04:34 PM
No. Wade has never been robbed of anything. He got a ring gift wrapped for him by the refs in 06, and Lebron has been carrying his sorry ass all year.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Nope. I thought he and Lebron were interchangeable with Kobe during the regular season, but he was a major disappointment in the playoffs vs. ATL.

Sans this year..up till now, that has to be Lebron's best season.

tastystaci
06-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Nash was not better than Kobe in '06.

:roll: Nash led a team with Boris Diow at starting C and Tim Thomas at starting PF within two games of the NBA finals in '06. GTFO.

And my skin color is white, so why would I be racist towards white people?

Not racist. Just a f***ing idiot then.

Deuce Bigalow
06-21-2012, 04:41 PM
:roll: Nash led a team with Boris Diow at starting C and Tim Thomas at starting PF within two games of the NBA finals in '06. GTFO.

Not racist. Just a f***ing idiot then.
You think Nash was better than Kobe in '06?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

tastystaci
06-21-2012, 04:55 PM
You think Nash was better than Kobe in '06?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I can't believe these guys on this forum. It's like the short bus has wifi or something.

MVP = Most Valuable Player

Not who would win in a game of one on one

Again, I'll repeat this slow. He led this starting lineup:

PG Nash
SG Raja Bell
SF Shawn Marion
PF Tim Thomas
C Boris Diaw

to 61 wins. Not to mention he beat Kobe's lakers in the first round, and was two wins away from making the finals. What is the argument? Because kobe scored more points?

Nash dominated in fg%, 3pt%, ft%, assists, team wins(Kobe won 45 games). Kobe dominates him in points. That's it. End of discussion.

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 05:24 PM
I can't believe these guys on this forum. It's like the short bus has wifi or something.

MVP = Most Valuable Player

Not who would win in a game of one on one

Again, I'll repeat this slow. He led this starting lineup:

PG Nash
SG Raja Bell
SF Shawn Marion
PF Tim Thomas
C Boris Diaw

to 61 wins. Not to mention he beat Kobe's lakers in the first round, and was two wins away from making the finals. What is the argument? Because kobe scored more points?

Nash dominated in fg%, 3pt%, ft%, assists, team wins(Kobe won 45 games). Kobe dominates him in points. That's it. End of discussion.

that team won 54 games... not 61

Kobe would do more than 54 wins with Marion, Leandro Barbosa, Kurt Thomas ect.

tastystaci
06-21-2012, 05:27 PM
that team won 54.... not 61

You're right. My bad. Saw '06-'07' win total

In '05-'06 Nash led them to 54 wins and a division title

KingBeasley08
06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
whats with this man crying racism? that being said, I believe Nash deserved the award in 05 and Kobe should have gotten MVP in 06

tastystaci
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Kobe would do more than 54 wins with Marion, Leandro Barbosa, Kurt Thomas ect.

That's hilarious. Kurt Thomas avg 8 and 7 that year. And Kobe does not lead that team anywhere. Especially not two wins away from a finals appearance. This is what he did without Shaq or Pau.

05'- 34 wins. No playoffs
'06- 45 wins. Out first round
'07- 42 wins. Out first round

Not until Jerry West handed Gasul to the Lakers did they make it out the first round.

tastystaci
06-21-2012, 05:37 PM
whats with this man crying racism? that being said, I believe Nash deserved the award in 05 and Kobe should have gotten MVP in 06

This douche had a list of MVP's that weren't deserved. Both of Nash's MVP's and Dirk's were on the list. If you watch basketball and believe this, then the racist conclusion is the only one that makes sense.

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
That's hilarious. Kurt Thomas avg 8 and 7 that year. And Kobe does not lead that team anywhere. Especially not two wins away from a finals appearance. This is what he did without Shaq or Pau.

05'- 34 wins. No playoffs
'06- 45 wins. Out first round
'07- 42 wins. Out first round

Not until Jerry West handed Gasul to the Lakers did they make it out the first round.

he was a double double machine the year before.

and look at Kobe's team

Shawn Marion >>> Odom

Leandro Barbosa was the shit.

Micku
06-21-2012, 05:54 PM
No they arent. Mo Williams was the best player aside from Lebron and hes a 6th man on a good team(was an 8th man starting this season).

The entire 2009 Cavs roster aside from Lebron...doesnt produce a starter on a Healthy Bulls team now. Maybe Delonte for a stretch. Id take him at the 2.

But really...combine those teams no Lebron? Mo and Big Z start from the Cavs and Z it would depend on what part of the year it was.

Calling Jermain Oneal old, injured, and decrepid and propping up Big Z is funny. He wasnt providing 30 minutes a night after 2005 or so. And hes been old in reality or in mobility since like 2004.

He was a lot more important in theory than reality. They were on a 60 something win pace without him when he was traded to the Wizards and had to wait 30 days to return.

No, I think the Cavs team did have better supporting cast than the Heat team. Mo Williams that year was better than the entire roster of the Heat's team besides Wade. And the third option with Big Z was still good enough to match Miami second best player with J-O'neal to me. And the combination of D.West and Varejao, they definitely had a better starting lineup.

The bench could sometimes a wash because of Beasley having a very good rookie year. Cook started off pretty good, but his play dropped after the all-star break. Those guys made up for the Chris Quinn and Joel Anthony. James Jones didn't play that much, even though he was a great shooter. The Cavs bench was more consistent tho. And the whole Cavs team was more suited for LeBron play style with him being a slasher and they surround him with shooters.

And they were bigger than the Heat, and got more rebounds. It's no question that LeBron's supporting cast was better than the Heat to me. But the Lebron supporting cast weren't better than the Lakers, Celts, or the Denver that year to me. And they didn't have the supporting cast that the Bulls had today, but I think that has more to do with the coaching too.

Miami and the Cavs both overachieve that year from the speculation by the analysts. Miami weren't expected to reach the playoffs. The Cavs were supposed to be around 5th place in the East.

Wade and LeBron were around the same level that year in the regular season. But LeBron went to another level in the post season. I don't think Wade was robbed from MVP.

lbj23clutch
06-21-2012, 06:10 PM
It always goes to the player with at least a top 3 record in the league. Miami was a borderline playoff team in the weak east that year. Why do you think Kobe didn't win in 06? Dude averaged 35 a game and put up historic scoring performances yet didn't win because his team was an 8th seed.

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 06:13 PM
No, I think the Cavs team did have better supporting cast than the Heat team. Mo Williams that year was better than the entire roster of the Heat's team besides Wade. And the third option with Big Z was still good enough to match Miami second best player with J-O'neal to me. And the combination of D.West and Varejao, they definitely had a better starting lineup.

The bench could sometimes a wash because of Beasley having a very good rookie year. Cook started off pretty good, but his play dropped after the all-star break. Those guys made up for the Chris Quinn and Joel Anthony. James Jones didn't play that much, even though he was a great shooter. The Cavs bench was more consistent tho. And the whole Cavs team was more suited for LeBron play style with him being a slasher and they surround him with shooters.

And they were bigger than the Heat, and got more rebounds. It's no question that LeBron's supporting cast was better than the Heat to me. But the Lebron supporting cast weren't better than the Lakers, Celts, or the Denver that year to me. And they didn't have the supporting cast that the Bulls had today, but I think that has more to do with the coaching too.

Miami and the Cavs both overachieve that year from the speculation by the analysts. Miami weren't expected to reach the playoffs. The Cavs were supposed to be around 5th place in the East.

Wade and LeBron were around the same level that year in the regular season. But LeBron went to another level in the post season. I don't think Wade was robbed from MVP.

O'Neal - still a 13ppg scorer that can give you rim protection. Finished 5th in BPG
Udonis Haslem - 10/8 player with solid defense
Shawn Marion- he was traded for JO but he was averaging like 12/9 with great D to only get replace by Beasley who average like 16 a game as a starter
Wade- Wade
Chalmers - top 5 in steal as a rookie and can shoot

that team isnt that good but neither THAT bad. LeBron can make this team win more than 43 games. believe me.

Micku
06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
O'Neal - still a 13ppg scorer that can give you rim protection. Finished 5th in BPG
Udonis Haslem - 10/8 player with solid defense
Shawn Marion- he was traded for JO but he was averaging like 12/9 with great D to only get replace by Beasley who average like 16 a game as a starter
Wade- Wade
Chalmers - top 5 in steal as a rookie and can shoot

that team isnt that good but neither THAT bad. LeBron can make this team win more than 43 games. believe me.

They were better than initially thought to be, but mostly because of Wade. It just the Cavs team was better. And the Miami team was young and made some mistakes here and there that kind'a cost them a couple games. Rookie mistakes and stuff.

I don't think LeBron have significant impact on that team. Maybe a couple more wins or the same. They might get past the Hawks in the playoffs because LBJ played unreal that year, but we'll never know.

The biggest difference between the Heat team and the Cavs team was Mo Williams because he was better than all of them aside from Wade. Then it was the Cavs size and rebounding. If you switch out Chalmers with Mo Williams then the Heat team looks a lot better.

However:

Mo Willaims
D.West
LeBron
Varejao
Big Z

Looks better. Even if you take out LeBron and take out Wade, with the Cavs you get more defense, more rebounds, and more offense. They were better.

Especially since after the Marion trade, the starting line up for the Heat looked like:

Chalmers
Wade
Moon/James Jones (in the playoffs, Beasley hardly ever start)
Haslem
J'Oneal

Before the Marion trade, the Heat had no frontline and no rebounds. After the Marion trade, it looks better, but still worse than the Cavs.

The Cavs supporting line up was better that year and the next.

NumberSix
06-21-2012, 06:54 PM
No, but Lebron did rob him of a Finals MVP in 2011.
Somewhat true.

D-Wade316
06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Nope. Lebron deserved that MVP.

Injuries robbed him of an MVP in 06-07. He was the best player before going down. That was his MVP year.

spacebump
06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Yeah, Wade had one of the best seasons ever for a SG... but he wasn't robbed, at least not by NBA standards... No player has won the MVP with a team team that won less than 50 games.

If Wade was robbed in 08-09, then Kobe was robbed too in 05-06.

If your team doesn't win at least 50 games you don't get considered for it. :cheers:

AngelEyes
06-21-2012, 08:57 PM
If your team doesn't win at least 50 games you don't get considered for it. :cheers:

As evidenced by Jordan not winning it in 1989 after his team finished with 47 wins and he had the best stats of his career.

TheNaturalWR
06-21-2012, 09:05 PM
No but he was BY FAR the best player in the league that year. He had one of the greatest 10-15 game stretches of all time after the all-star break. He was amazing and it's a damn shame his work ethic got considerably worse ever since that season.

DirkNowitzki41
06-21-2012, 09:08 PM
I believe he did.. I watched every game for the Heat that year and what he did with that team was amazing. So many incredible performances from him that year, him getting a bloody lip from the Knicks and absolutely took over to eventually win the game, the steal and buzzer beating 3 against the Bulls in OT, those 50 point games against the Jazz, Knicks and Magic.. and a shit load more.. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

He didn't have a great supporting cast so I didn't expect the Heat to get 50 wins, but he was definitely the MVP that year imo.

Richie2k6
06-21-2012, 09:14 PM
43 wins. lololol

lbj23clutch
06-21-2012, 09:25 PM
No but he was BY FAR the best player in the league that year. He had one of the greatest 10-15 game stretches of all time after the all-star break. He was amazing and it's a damn shame his work ethic got considerably worse ever since that season.
Did you watch LeBron in the playoffs that year? Dude was on a historic level that year. LeBron also sat out in so many 4'th quarters during the regular seasons due to blowouts so his numbers don't tell the story for the regular season. Wade was the best player in the regular season, but he didn't maintain his play in the postseason, while LeBron was alltime great that year in the postseason. That was probably the most dominant I've ever seen LeBron on the offensive end, don't get me wrong LeBron is better then ever today, but dude was a monster during the 09' post season.