eliteballer
06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93mvNaoSPAI

juju151111
06-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Big game James worthy probably took him to school in college

IGotACoolStory
06-21-2012, 06:02 PM
In college? When James was healthy, he was a freak of nature. His performance in the 82 F4 is easily the most dominant I have ever seen a college player play. He had like 5 monster posters in those two games alone. Against that stacked GTown team and the Phi Slama Jama Houston squad.

AngelEyes
06-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Big game James worthy probably took him to school in college

Possibly, considering Jordan was a 18-19 year old freshman and Worthy was two years older.

DuMa
06-21-2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jordami01&p2=worthja01

eliteballer
06-21-2012, 06:08 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jordami01&p2=worthja01

One dudes taking 10 more shots per game

AngelEyes
06-21-2012, 06:12 PM

One dude (Jordan) is also a whole hell of a lot better than the other dude.

DuMa
06-21-2012, 06:17 PM

you just described Kobe.

Rake2204
06-21-2012, 06:22 PM
I am not surprised by such a claim. When players are generally on the same plain (meaning not a college player vs. sixth grader) one-on-one can a lot of times go one way or another. And in the case of Michael Jordan facing a long armed James Worthy? James is an all-time great, I could see Jordan having to work to attempt to stop Worthy from being effective.

Ancient Legend
06-21-2012, 06:26 PM
You mean in college? Meh. You guys know Michael's older brother used to beat him at basketball too everytime right up to his HS days.

eliteballer
06-21-2012, 06:30 PM
You mean in college? Meh. You guys know Michael's older brother used to beat him at basketball too everytime right up to his HS days.

Pro ball players play with each other throughout the offseason every year.

andgar923
06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
One thing to consider is 'style' of play.

I mentioned in the MJ vs Magic thread that Magic could more than likely beat MJ in a one on one battle because Magic's style would be hard for MJ to beat.

Both of them played 'old school' ball and used their strengths to their advantage, meaning size and height. In today's era, big players try to play like guards and even then, they usually don't know how to use their bodies to shield them.

I can see Worthy using his body to shield off MJ and use his size to his advantage. MJ at this point probably didn't have a reliable jumper, and probably didn't have as many moves, or iq.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Worthy beat MJ well into their NBA careers either. Again..... styles make match ups and Worthy would be able to use his size and strength against him, just as MJ would use his speed and athleticism against his. It would be a battle of who could stop who the most often, and almost certainly a toss up.

KG215
06-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Some people hype that UNC team up a bit more because they had Michael Jordan. When ranking the all-time great NCAA champions people like to put 1982 UNC in the top 5 or so and I think a lot of people do so because they had Jordan. But MJ was a freshman that year and wasn't the best player on the team, or second best. Worthy and Sam Perkins were studs, and formed one of the more talented frontcourts in NCAA history. Matt Doherty was a good player, too, and Jimmy Black was a very good college PG.

That was probably the most stacked era of college hoops. I hear people all the time ask how Jordan's UNC teams didn't win more than one national title, but you when you look at some of the other loaded teams in that era, it's not as hard to believe as you might think. Patrick Ewing's Georgetown teams damn near won 3 in 4 years if it wasn't for Jordan's shot and one errant Fred Brown pass right to James Worthy. Then they won it all in 1984 and got upset by Villanova in 1985. Then you had some very good Houston teams in those years, too.

t-rex
06-21-2012, 07:30 PM
James Worthy was great player. He was the MVP of the 1988 NBA Finals.

Part of what made the 1980s the greatest decade in NBA history was that you had several all time great teams that were stacked with good players. The good part of this is that we had some great, high quality play. The bad part of this is that great players get lost in the shuffle. The Lakers James Worthy, and the Celtics Kevin McHale are at the top of that list.

B
06-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Worthy's defense on Jordan would be greater than Jordan's defense on Worthy.
Both great offensive players but Worthy's defense would have more of an impact.

AngelEyes
06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=B

Inactive
06-21-2012, 08:49 PM
That was while they were in college. I'm sure things would've been a little different if they had a rematch, as pros.

B
06-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Neither one can slow down each other. I disagree with your assessment, Jordan would have an easier time of guarding Worthy than vice versa. Jordan has far too many moves and is far too quick for Worthy. Worthy was beating Jordan one on one when Jordan was a much smaller player and was 18-19 years old. His jumpshot was also a big work in progress and he didn't have a lot of the extraordinary moves he would develop. Prime Jordan could not be guarded by the likes of James Worthy.
I watched NBA Jordan get guarded by Worthy. Worthy gave him fits.

AngelEyes
06-21-2012, 08:52 PM
That was while they were in college. I'm sure things would've been a little different if they had a rematch, as pros.

I think that's obvious. Jordan was in his infancy as a player while with Worthy in 1982. He had yet to develop physically and his offensive game was a work in progress. Worthy was a hell of a player, a legitimate hall of famer, but I couldn't envision him having his way with Jordan while they were both pros, I suspect the opposite would be true.

AngelEyes
06-21-2012, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=B

IGotACoolStory
06-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Didn't Chris Jackson destroy MJ in 1v1? Or is that a legend?

I don't see what 1v1 means in the grand scheme of things anyway.

AngelEyes
06-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Didn't Chris Jackson destroy MJ in 1v1? Or is that a legend?

I don't see what 1v1 means in the grand scheme of things anyway.

When the hell was this?

IGotACoolStory
06-21-2012, 09:26 PM
When the hell was this?

I think it was at a camp or something. Around the time he was just coming out of or still at LSU? I've seen several different people claim it's true, but who really knows when there's no film. That I know of at least.

IMO, someone like Monta Ellis would beat 99% of the league in 1v1. Doesn't mean shit.

eliteballer
10-03-2013, 11:04 PM
:confusedshrug:

Dragonyeuw
10-04-2013, 11:16 AM
One thing to consider is 'style' of play.

I mentioned in the MJ vs Magic thread that Magic could more than likely beat MJ in a one on one battle because Magic's style would be hard for MJ to beat.

Magic would baby-hook the hell out of MJ. Of course, there is that matter of having to defend him as well.

scm5
10-04-2013, 11:55 AM
One on one is also a very different game than playing an actual game.

Worthy was the bigger/stronger player and he was amazing in the post. Jordan was obviously amazing as well, but I might be more inclined to put my money on Worthy playing better defense in the post against MJ than the other way around.

SHAQisGOAT
10-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Worthy is underrated af because he played with the likes of Magic and Kareem. Don't see him doing what someone like Dominique did as the main man/leader but can see him being pretty close.

Another thing that people forget is that Big Game James was the best player on that UNC team that won it all, not Jordan, and when Worthy left Jordan couldn't win it again as the main man, even with the likes of Daugherty, Perkins and Kenny Smith (who got injured though) around.

Btw Worthy said he would rather guard Jordan than Bird: http://youtu.be/1Rg1sFMxnbM?t=2m25s