PDA

View Full Version : Knicks wins Bird rights for Lin and Novak

Rekindled
06-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Now we will have the MLE to use , who should we spend it on. I like Brandon Rush and Ray Allen , need SG since shump is injured

flipogb
06-22-2012, 02:51 PM
reward for getting clowned last night on NBA TV

Zackmorris
06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
http://readandreact.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/anchorman-teamjump.gif

PJR
Damn, great for them. Stern got owned.

bagelred
HOLY F-CK THIS IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOVAKAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CelticBaller
06-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Smh celebrating over this

Sarcastic
06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5ytuigKbT1rtd5pqo2_250.gif

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/DameNellie99/Gifs/HappyDance.gif

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/atlasfugged/seinfelddance.gif

TMT
06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Better pray Nash is cool with taking MLE money.

niko
06-22-2012, 02:59 PM
We went from having a hard cap (just for us) if we signed Lin for anything over $3M to being able to keep Lin, Novak AND sign another FA for the full MLE. That makes me happy.

How did we win?

bagelred
06-22-2012, 02:59 PM

You clearly don't understand how amazing this is.

The Knicks get to keep Jeremy Lin AND Steve Novak AND still have the MLE.

Wow. Who do we want with the MLE guys? Steve Nash?

niko
06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
You clearly don't understand how amazing this is.

The Knicks get to keep Jeremy Lin AND Steve Novak AND still have the MLE.

Wow. Who do we want with the MLE guys? Steve Nash?
Yah, you get to stay in NY. Congrats Steve!

bagelred
06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Yah, you get to stay in NY. Congrats Steve!

I am Steve Novak!:cheers:

bagelred
06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
You know it's weird. Every single analyst was saying Lin and Novak were going to lose. David Stern said that. Larry Coon said that.

But I kept thinking, if it's the SPIRIT of the rule, the Lin/Novak should WIN. Getting picked up on waivers is not different than a trade. The player has no choice but to go there. Why should he lose his Bird Rights then? It just didn't make sense.

Kudos to the arbitrator. :cheers:

TMT
06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I am Steve Novak!:cheers:

Why'd you play like trash in SA last season? :oldlol:

blablabla
:banana:
if jr picks up his player option we'll have the deepest team in the nba

All Net
Yeah that is pretty huge...

alwaysunny
06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
aww hell naw. can I still convert back to the Knicks? :rant

Blue&Orange
06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Just no.

blablabla
06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
kenyon martin and andre miller(or a sg/sf) would be great

blablabla
06-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Just no.
you don't want jr on the team?

bagelred
06-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Actually, there's still this BS about a hard cap. Larry Coon is saying if Knicks use MORE than $3 million of the MLE, somehow they get stuck with a hard cap for this season. That makes no sense, but at least Knicks are in control now on if they use it or not. If they use MLE on Lin, they'd have no choice but the hard cap.

blablabla
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
is fields a restricted free agents?

inclinerator
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
lin daw gawd

iDunk
06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Steve Nash, Raymond Felton, Andre Miller, Ray Allen, & Kevin Garnett are my targets.

bagelred
06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
is fields a restricted free agents?

Yes, Knicks have Bird Rights. Landry can't make more than mid level money by rule.

bagelred
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Steve Nash, Raymond Felton, Andre Miller, Ray Allen, & Kevin Garnett are my targets.

As said above, Knicks will NOT spend more than $3 million of the MLE, otherwise they get stuck with hard cap.

Will any of these guys sign for $3 million?

2LeTTeRS
06-22-2012, 03:22 PM
If anyone cares, becuase of this ruling the Blazers also have bird rights for JJ Hickson and the Clips have Chauncey Billups' bird rights.

Faberg
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
The NBA is going to appeal. It's not over yet.

bagelred
06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
NBA is appealing the decision. :facepalm

kurple
06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
how much is the full MLE under the new cba?

Clippersfan86
06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Billups.

PJR
06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Stern won't go down without a fight. This is too big of a loophole.

blablabla
06-22-2012, 03:39 PM
how much is the full MLE under the new cba?
5million for team that didnt have to pay the luxury tax the previous season

Kurosawa0
As said above, Knicks will NOT spend more than $3 million of the MLE, otherwise they get stuck with hard cap.

Will any of these guys sign for $3 million?

Andre Miller?

Maybe Ray Allen, but I think he'd go to Miami first.

Sarcastic

No it's not. It should have been added to the CBA, but Billy Hunter is a moron.

Why should a waived player lose his Bird rights when he is waived but still have to play under the same old contract? If you are going to make him lose his Bird rights, then he should be able to get a new contract.

arifgokcen
06-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Andre Miller?

Maybe Ray Allen, but I think he'd go to Miami first.

RayRay is going to miami.He will sign two year deal with them to win another ring or two.

Knicks has one of the deepest rosters in nba however i have to agree with PJ assessment here sorry knicks fans.

Kurosawa0
06-22-2012, 03:44 PM
RayRay is going to miami.He will sign two year deal with them to win another ring or two.

Knicks has one of the deepest rosters in nba however i have to agree with PJ assessment here sorry knicks fans.

I like the idea of Allen to Miami, but why does everyone think this is a done deal?

All Net
06-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I like the idea of Allen to Miami, but why does everyone think this is a done deal?

I know sources said he is one of the main places he would sign

Any old star is a perfect place for Miami

Kurosawa0
06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
I know sources said he is one of the main places he would sign

Any old star is a perfect place for Miami

It's going to come down to whether or not someone's going to take that Battier deal of 3 years, 9 million.

Ray Allen should be able to get more, but how much more?

I have to say, if you're a shooter and just saw the looks Miller and Battier got this series, Miami has to look like a damn good place to go.

All Net
06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
It's going to come down to whether or not someone's going to take that Battier deal of 3 years, 9 million.

Ray Allen should be able to get more, but how much more?

I have to say, if you're a shooter and just saw the looks Miller and Battier got this series, Miami has to look like a damn good place to go.

Guess depends how much he wants to win a championship over money/playing time

Kurosawa0
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Guess depends how much he wants to win a championship over money/playing time

It'll probably come down to whether or not someone will offer him more than the full mid level.

TheBluest
06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
It's a double edge sword for the Knicks....

While this allows for them to add another quality player to the team potentially that is, what it ensures is them paying absolute premium dollars for retaining their own players and the potential free agents to be

What I see is a team looking very much like the Knick Teams when I SAY UGH initially took over at least from a Cap Perspective

The Knicks have $60mil+ tied into 7 players.....3 of which are near dead weight

They then have to pay Premium dollars for Lin....

They then have to pay Premium dollars for Novak....

They then have to pay Premium dollars for Fields....

They then have to pay Premium dollars for Free Agent(s) including possibly a couple more of their own in J.R. Smith(who Woody and Melo likes) and Jared Jeffries. Add in the 1rst round pick cap hit

Can we say a team that's about to make love to Cap Hell while bringing back essentially the same team with a mediocre ceiling?

Sarcastic
06-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Why would we pay premium dollars to Landry Fields? We will pay him what he is worth. Same goes for Novak.

GOBB
06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Who cares, NYK will sign someone to the MLE and still be an overrated joke team.

niko
06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Who cares, NYK will sign someone to the MLE and still be an overrated joke team.
So jelly that your team is never going anywhere.

GOBB
06-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Sixers will go just as far as your team. In the end? Both losers, only one franchise's fanbase is delusional into thinking they are #winning. :facepalm

Continue spending money up there in the Big Apple. Just makes your teams failure that more hilarious.

Wonder Bread Kid
06-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Neither are the Knicks. You understand that right?

DStebb716
06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Lamar Odom. Steve Nash. Jason Kidd. Kirk Hinrich. All guys that should be at the top of the list.

KingBeasley08
06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
no they think there team actually has a chance :oldlol:

one idiot said melo was better than lebron :oldlol: :facepalm

niko
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Nice title run by SA. Like how you leave yourselves out. Time doesn't run in reverse.

And missed where i took a shot out of the blue at the philly team or SA - please let me know..

Sarcastic
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Neither is your's. Lebron has 1 down, and 7 to go.

PJR
06-22-2012, 04:53 PM

True.

GOBB
06-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Updating a previous report, the NBA intends to appeal Friday's arbitrated decision which granted Bird Rights to Jeremy Lin, Steve Novak, Chauncey Billups and J.J. Hickson.
The league's appeal will need to be heard and decided upon quickly, considering free agency begins July 1 and teams can actually sign players as of July 11. Follow Howard Beck (@HowardBeckNYT) on Twitter for the latest legal wrangling.

Not so fast

Wonder Bread Kid
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Nice title run by SA. Like how you leave yourselves out. Time doesn't run in reverse.

And missed where i took a shot out of the blue at the philly team or SA - please let me know..

So insted of addressing what I posted, you deflect and bring up the Spurs.

Let me get this straight, because I'm a Spurs fan, I can't point out the irony of a Knicks fan trying to insult a Sixers by belittling his team as if your team was vastly superior.

I see. Oh wait, you're an ass clown who's wrong. I can and I will and I did.

Deflect and insult the Spurs, I couldn't care less. The Spurs are the best run and best coached team in the NBA while the Knicks are on the exact opposite side of the spectrum. Enjoy the continued years of "Can X play with Y or does C need to be brought in as coach or maybe M is the answer, but can they trade for him?" bs.

Wonder Bread Kid
06-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Neither is your's. Lebron has 1 down, and 7 to go.

Yours*

Your public school education failed you.

But aside from that, you bring up the Spurs as of they're not counted out every season only to show they're the best run and best coached team in the NBA. I'll take SA's chances over 98% of the league.

ClutchOver9000
06-22-2012, 05:34 PM

Let me get this straight, because I'm a Spurs fan, I can't point out the irony of a Knicks fan trying to insult a Sixers by belittling his team as if your team was vastly superior.

Deflect and insult the Spurs, I couldn't care less. The Spurs are the best run and best coached team in the NBA while the Knicks are on the exact opposite side of the spectrum. Enjoy the continued years of "Can X play with Y or does C need to be brought in as coach or maybe M is the answer, but can they trade for him?" bs.

lol you're an idiot.

no you cant point out the irony in anything when it was the sixers fan who initiated said belittling.

you're like the ref who techs up a player retaliating after a bush league foul.

MeLO MvP 15
06-22-2012, 05:40 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx4x29Mbis1r52vcw.gif
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcfdejrk5h1qzjix8.gif
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmnkb4kHoT1qdna1zo1_250.gif
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr8m0xNDzi1qijduu.gif
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr8m0eMl6w1qijduu.gif

Foster5k
06-22-2012, 05:40 PM
:oldlol:

niko
06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Not so fast
It won't be overturned. What ever is?

Sarcastic
06-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Yours*

Your public school education failed you.

But aside from that, you bring up the Spurs as of they're not counted out every season only to show they're the best run and best coached team in the NBA. I'll take SA's chances over 98% of the league.

If you're going to be a grammar nazi, at least make sure you don't have typos in your own post.

niko
06-22-2012, 05:46 PM

People come trolling in knick threads and I respond. If I did same in spur thread you'd probably literally threaten my life. So please take your little scolding and stick it wherever you like. :lol

Wonder Bread Kid
06-22-2012, 05:47 PM
lol you're an idiot.

no you cant point out the irony in anything when it was the sixers fan who initiated said belittling.

you're like the ref who techs up a player retaliating after a bush league foul.

I'm an idiot, yet you're the nimrod who has no concept of what a Internet message board is?

longtime lurker
06-22-2012, 05:48 PM
So let me get this straight....the Knicks can sign Lin, Steve Novak and still have the MLE? Is this a case by case basis or has this set a precedent for waiver wire signings?

Wonder Bread Kid
06-22-2012, 05:49 PM
People come trolling in knick threads and I respond. If I did same in spur thread you'd probably literally threaten my life. So please take your little scolding and stick it wherever you like. :lol

Still deflecting. And kid, you end up in more Spurs threads with your lame bs than I can count. Quit pretending you're someone you're not.

Wonder Bread Kid
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
If you're going to be a grammar nazi, at least make sure you don't have typos in your own post.

There's a major difference between an auto correct typo and adding an apostrophe to a word that will never ever ever ever ever need it. But pointing that out to you is pointless on my part as I doubt you'll ever comprehend such a simple and basic concept.

Sarcastic
06-22-2012, 05:55 PM
So let me get this straight....the Knicks can sign Lin, Steve Novak and still have the MLE? Is this a case by case basis or has this set a precedent for waiver wire signings?

This is a precedent set. Players that are waived can retain their Bird rights. It also affects JJ Hickson and Chauncey Billups.

Sarcastic
06-22-2012, 05:56 PM
There's a major difference between an auto correct typo and adding an apostrophe to a word that will never ever ever ever ever need it. But pointing that out to you is foist on my part as I doubt you'll ever comprehend such a simple and basic concept.

"Your's" is a common mistake. Let's not act like I totally butchered the English language.

Wonder Bread Kid
06-22-2012, 05:58 PM
"Your's" is a common mistake. Let's not act like I totally butchered the English language.

Common mistake? By who? Third world drop outs?

Anyway, back to the thread topic at hand.

longtime lurker
06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
This is a precedent set. Players that are waived can retain their Bird rights. It also affects JJ Hickson and Chauncey Billups.

Wow that's interesting. So is there a cap set on how much they could offer like 2nd round picks? Or could the Knicks technically offer Lin a max contract?

Sarcastic
06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Common mistake? By who? Third world drop outs?

Anyway, back to the thread topic at hand.

Pretty sure George W Bush has made a grammatical mistake or two or 10,000 in his lifetime. Is he a third world drop out?

Sarcastic
06-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Wow that's interesting. So is there a cap set on how much they could offer like 2nd round picks? Or could the Knicks technically offer Lin a max contract?

Well if the Knicks go over $3 million with their MLE, they will be hard capped at $74 million.

Larry Coon:

"Just to clarify on the Knicks -- they can spend their Mid-Level on anyone they choose. But if they go over $3 million, it comes at the cost of living with a hard cap at about $74M for the entire season. They won't be able to exceed the hard cap for any reason. Because of this, I think it's very unlikely that they will choose to spend more than $3M of their Mid-Level. As long as they stay under $3M, no hard cap. But if they first spend > $3M of their mid-level, then they can't go over apx. $74M team salary under any circumstance, even to re-sign those two (those two being Lin/Novak)."

MeLO MvP 15
06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm worried about this appeal. Not that we'll lose it, more so that it will delay our ability to sign players or negotiate with them by the time free agency starts. Think about it, the appeal could very well not happen until mid July which means we could be stuck with not being able to take part in free agency and thus making the victory useless.

Although, the fair thing to me seems to let the arbitration settle the rules for this summer and any appeal change would only effect future waiver players. Then again, the other way would screw the Knicks completely, which is what it seems like the league wants.

Wonder Bread Kid
06-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Pretty sure George W Bush has made a grammatical mistake or two or 10,000 in his lifetime. Is he a third world drop out?

That's too easy.

bagelred
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM

It's not a big loophole at all. Actually this RARELY ever happens. This year was just very unusual.

So what has to happen is:

1. A player gets waived by his original team (so he has to suck basically)
2. Player gets picked up off waivers (which means team has to be pick up original contract, doesn't happen often)
3. Player somehow REALLY overachieves.
4. Team doesn't have cap space to sign him and needs Bird rights.

Lin and Novak are VERY rare cases. Billups was odd because of the amnesty rule which won't be very relevant going forward.

Honestly, this isn't that big a deal for most teams going forward, but for the Knicks right now its huge.

niko
06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm worried about this appeal. Not that we'll lose it, more so that it will delay our ability to sign players or negotiate with them by the time free agency starts. Think about it, the appeal could very well not happen until mid July which means we could be stuck with not being able to take part in free agency and thus making the victory useless.

Although, the fair thing to me seems to let the arbitration settle the rules for this summer and any appeal change would only effect future waiver players. Then again, the other way would screw the Knicks completely, which is what it seems like the league wants.
The rule is changed. Your second paragraph is the reality.

Nash
06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
This is awesome news for the rest of the league. You'll get stuck with Jeremy Lin who is more hype than quality and you get to keep Novak who doesn't do anything else besides shoot 3's against crap teams.

bluechox2
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
i think we will be able to use the fule mle if we dont sign fields, so its all good

analysts getting bent over backwards for nothing

ClutchOver9000
06-22-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm an idiot, yet you're the nimrod who has no concept of what a Internet message board is?

yes my friend you look like an idiot when you call out a poster about his team when said poster was responding to a prior call out in the very same thread.

yes it is a message board...you can circle-jerk in agreement w/ the other Knicks haters as you please, but that doesnt prevent me from thinking you're an idiot.

cheers.

NewYorkNoPicks
06-22-2012, 11:38 PM
This is awesome news for the rest of the league. You'll get stuck with Jeremy Lin who is more hype than quality and you get to keep Novak who doesn't do anything else besides shoot 3's against crap teams.

Korver, Kapono and guys of that nature have roles in this league. Steve Kerr for instance hit many big shots for the Championship Bulls. Novak is better than them all. He's extremely useful, but obviously you havent seen too many Knick games so you wouldnt know that.

TheBluest
06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Why would we pay premium dollars to Landry Fields? We will pay him what he is worth. Same goes for Novak.

Premium means paying their peak market value and yes Knicks will have to pay each one of them first year average starting salary

$5-7mil
$3-4mil
$5-7mil

respectively

longtime lurker
06-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Well if the Knicks go over $3 million with their MLE, they will be hard capped at $74 million.

Larry Coon:

Wait....WTF :biggums: I thought there was no hard cap in the NBA

Rowe
06-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Wait....WTF :biggums: I thought there was no hard cap in the NBA
No, they added a special one in the CBA to keep teams from over-spending.

Basically this was meant to stop the Mavs from signing/acquiring people with no regard for a Luxury Tax.

longtime lurker
06-23-2012, 12:57 AM
No, they added a special one in the CBA to keep teams from over-spending.

Basically this was meant to stop the Mavs from signing/acquiring people with no regard for a Luxury Tax.

Those god damn tricky owners and Stern!

Rowe
06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Those god damn tricky owners and Stern!

Yeah it sucks.

Apparently in order to have our MLE, we will have to forfeit the Full MLE at $ Million per year and use the $3 Million per year MLE.

Thats the same amount LA & Miami will have for their MLE this offseason too.

Pretty tough sale on joining the Knicks if they have the same offer from those 2 teams.

Sarcastic
06-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Premium means paying their peak market value and yes Knicks will have to pay each one of them first year average starting salary

$5-7mil
$3-4mil
$5-7mil

respectively

Landry and Novak can't get that much on the open market. No reason for the Knicks to overpay like that.

Rowe
06-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Landry and Novak can't get that much on the open market. No reason for the Knicks to overpay like that.
Yep.

Novak would be lucky to get the mini-MLE on the open market.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Fields came back for his QO, but it also wouldn't surprise me if some team overpaid him once they strike out on a better FA.

Rameek
06-23-2012, 03:02 AM
It's a double edge sword for the Knicks....

While this allows for them to add another quality player to the team potentially that is, what it ensures is them paying absolute premium dollars for retaining their own players and the potential free agents to be

What I see is a team looking very much like the Knick Teams when I SAY UGH initially took over at least from a Cap Perspective

The Knicks have $60mil+ tied into 7 players.....3 of which are near dead weight

They then have to pay Premium dollars for Lin....

They then have to pay Premium dollars for Novak....

They then have to pay Premium dollars for Fields....

They then have to pay Premium dollars for Free Agent(s) including possibly a couple more of their own in J.R. Smith(who Woody and Melo likes) and Jared Jeffries. Add in the 1rst round pick cap hit

Can we say a team that's about to make love to Cap Hell while bringing back essentially the same team with a mediocre ceiling?
This is true in regards to pay premium but it doesnt count against the cap. I really only think Lin is coming back but you never know.

The knicks dont own a 1st round pick.

Whoever said the Knicks are deep is mistaken because there are only 7 guys under contract right now. Stat, Melo, Chandler, Douglas, Shump, Harellson, Jordan.

Teanett
06-23-2012, 06:01 AM
:rockon:

we're coming after you, miami!!!
and this time somebody will hit you in the nutz!

bluechox2
06-23-2012, 08:17 AM
if we let landry walk, we wont hit the hard cap and thus can probably sign another useful player with all or part of the full 5 mill

PJR
06-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Korver, Kapono and guys of that nature have roles in this league. Steve Kerr for instance hit many big shots for the Championship Bulls. Novak is better than them all. He's extremely useful, but obviously you havent seen too many Knick games so you wouldnt know that.

Steve Novak is NOT better than Korver or Steve Kerr when he was playing.:oldlol:

Real Men Wear Green
06-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Because no one asked for it, here's my rundown of some of the issues:

1. If the appeal is ruled upon fairly, Lin and Novak will get their Bird rights. It doesn't make sense that a player should lose his rights just because he was waived. That's not fair, it's just a loophole created because NBPA negotiators didn't consider this possibility. I believe that was what the first arbitrator was thinking and that is how it should be.

2. If NY keeps their two guys and adds an MLE-level free agent they will be first or second in the Atlantic (Celtics have a ton of cap space and major FA decisions, waiting to see how that goes). Similarly, first or second round. But don't even think about beating Miami, sorry folks.

3. Miami should look at the available big men before they turn the whole MLE over to Ray Allen. His ability to hit shots in the clutch could be major but they need a legit center more than they need a back-up for Wade. None of them are on Ray-Rays level but the Heat do have some shooters.

bluechox2
06-23-2012, 08:48 AM
kaman would be a good fit in miami

niko
06-23-2012, 08:55 AM
This is true in regards to pay premium but it doesnt count against the cap. I really only think Lin is coming back but you never know.

The knicks dont own a 1st round pick.

Whoever said the Knicks are deep is mistaken because there are only 7 guys under contract right now. Stat, Melo, Chandler, Douglas, Shump, Harellson, Jordan.
All 3 are coming back. The Knicks basically lose higher salary roster spots if they don't You can trade these guys, you can't trade the minimum guys. I find it funny you think only Lin is coming back, all three are coming back most likely.

bagelred
06-23-2012, 10:28 AM
You'll get stuck with Jeremy Lin who is more hype than quality.

That's a bit harsh. You don't put up a stretch of games like that on "hype". Of course, we'll have to see how he develops with Melo.

But even so, it's not Knicks are paying Lin max money. MLE money is all he can get. If Lin turns into a solid starting PG, MLE money is a bargain. Most starting PG's make more than that, even below average ones.

Pointguard
06-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Because no one asked for it, here's my rundown of some of the issues:

1. If the appeal is ruled upon fairly, Lin and Novak will get their Bird rights. It doesn't make sense that a player should lose his rights just because he was waived. That's not fair, it's just a loophole created because NBPA negotiators didn't consider this possibility. I believe that was what the first arbitrator was thinking and that is how it should be.

2. If NY keeps their two guys and adds an MLE-level free agent they will be first or second in the Atlantic (Celtics have a ton of cap space and major FA decisions, waiting to see how that goes). Similarly, first or second round. But don't even think about beating Miami, sorry folks.

3. Miami should look at the available big men before they turn the whole MLE over to Ray Allen. His ability to hit shots in the clutch could be major but they need a legit center more than they need a back-up for Wade. None of them are on Ray-Rays level but the Heat do have some shooters.

As always, appreciated. I heard a couple of years back that Ray's child got the best treatment in the New England area. Of course that might be different now? Or there simply might be other areas where the treatment is equal. Of course, if Ray went to the Knicks the monthly trip to New England wouldn't be too hard.

Meticode
06-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Who would've thought the biggest news for the Knicks this season would've been an asian playing great out of no where, then second to that getting Bird rights to him and a guy named Novak? :oldlol:

Pointguard
06-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I hope the ruling does come down quick so that we can be ready to move or grab a player mid July if need be.