PDA

View Full Version : Marbury drops 50 points and 13 assists with Kobe guarding him.

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Stephon Marbury drops 50 points/13 assists with a young athletic Kobe guarding him:bowdown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYm0Djpt94s

Pretty Impressive for Starbury to score 50 on a young athletic Kobe, who was one of the best defenders at the time. Also factor in a prime Shaq who was guarding the paint. Just an awesome performance from Starbury. This game was in 2001.

:cheers: Enjoy.

andgar923
06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
KObe = the most overrated defender of all time

franchise#3
06-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Kobe had a sprained groin during that game

Punpun
06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Damn, that must be Marbury best memory in the NBA. How great is Gawdbe to give him this ?

:bowdown:

G-Funk
06-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Only 21 pts of those 50 were with Kobe guarding him.

pauk
06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
wow.. he was blowing by/crossing Kobe every single try... checkout 3:17, he broke 2 players ankles haha

...and the finish, those clutch treys.... omfg... :bowdown:

blablabla
06-24-2012, 05:37 PM
dat floater

L.Kizzle
06-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Allan Houston dropped 50 on him too, :lol

andgar923
06-24-2012, 05:38 PM

Does that give him an excuse to keep making defensive mistakes over and over?

He STILL makes these same mistakes, and has done so throughout his entire career. I'd understand if Kobe was playing good defense but Steph was just hitting shots. Half of the possessions that Kobe was guarding him were simply mistakes on Kobe's behalf. It's as he doesn't know how to play angles, how to position his body or time half the time. We saw examples of this repeatedly in this vid, bad decisions time and time again. Kobe not only makes bad decisions on offense he makes them on defense as well.

SwayDizzle
06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Damn, that must be Marbury best memory in the NBA. How great is Gawdbe to give him this ?

:bowdown:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
To be fair, Kobe made the gamewinning and-one to win the game. Kobe was getting owned throughout the game by Marbury, but made the most important shot of the game. Clutch. :bowdown:

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Marbury was clutch also. That DEEP 3 to tie the game with 27 seconds was cold blooded. Boy that man was talented. He'd would've owned Rose, Westbrook and CP3 in his prime.

blablabla
06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
To be fair, Kobe made the gamewinning and-one to win the game. Kobe was getting owned throughout the game by Marbury, but made the most important shot of the game. Clutch. :bowdown:
but those 2 3s by marbury to bring the nets back were nasty

how many 3s did he hit that game ?

ripthekik
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
agenda a bit too obvious? :oldlol:
this is like a lebron circle jerk in here:lol

Deuce Bigalow
06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
He giveth and he taketh away :bowdown:

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
agenda a bit too obvious? :oldlol:
this is like a lebron circle jerk in here:lol
No agenda from me. As I said, Kobe made the biggest shot of the game. Props to Kobe. He wasn't gonna be completely out donned by Starbury.

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
but those 2 3s by marbury to bring the nets back were nasty

how many 3s did he hit that game ?
4-8 from 3. 17-29 overall from the field. Awesome game from Starbury. :cheers:

Punpun
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM
WAIT. SO GAWBE ALLOWED MARBURY TO HAVE THE BEST NIGHT OF HIS CARREER. EVER. THEN HE SAID LOLNO YOU STILL WONT WIN. LOSER.

:yaohappy:

IGotACoolStory
06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
You Kobe dick riders. This is more about Marbury than Kobe.

Punpun
06-24-2012, 05:56 PM
You can thank Gawbe for that. :yaohappy:

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
WAIT. SO GAWBE ALLOWED MARBURY TO HAVE THE BEST NIGHT OF HIS CARREER. EVER. THEN HE SAID LOLNO YOU STILL WONT WIN. LOSER.

:yaohappy:
Pretty much. Props to Starbury though. Dude had hall of fame potential. You sound sour bro?:kobe:

Punpun
06-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Dude. Respect Marbury please. He just won the China's league while taking his team on his back. It's just that according to this thread.. Bbally speaking.. He is kind of a loser.

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Dude. Respect Marbury please. He just won the China's league while taking his team on his back. It's just that according to this thread.. Bbally speaking.. He is kind of a loser.
Who said he was a loser? He was a massively underachiever and never reached his potential due to his huge ego and horrible attitude. But there was a time when he was considered to be the best young up and coming point guard in the league, yes even over Kidd and Iverson. Just wanted to share the hall of fame talent he possessed.

Punpun
06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Blowing away all this talent makes him a loser you know.

Velocirap31
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM

Yessir.

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Blowing away all this talent makes him a loser you know.
He was a loser in the NBA. But to be fair Marbury is the Michael Jordon in China. He's a champion there in a league that features Iverson, Andrei Kirelenko,Chris Douglas Roberts, Aaron Brooks, Dennis Rodman(yes he's still playing at like 50 years old:oldlol: ) and a few other former nba players.

Here's Marbury droppin' 52 points/10 assists/7 steals in China:lol :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdvsHII0Gm8

Punpun
06-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah I know. Glad he finally found his spot.

Wally450
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Mama there goes that man

L.Kizzle
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
You Kobe dick riders. This is more about Marbury than Kobe.
Well, why put Kobe in the thread title at all?

longtime lurker
06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
50 and 13. Which point guard in the NBA right now could drop that?

L.Kizzle
06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Rondo almost did it in the playoffs.

Westbrook can do it.

longtime lurker
06-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Westbrook can do it.

I was going to put Rondo, but that's only absolutely if his shot is falling. Westbrook I don't know. The 50 points I can see, but for him to get 13 assists he'd have to flawlessly shift between scoring and passing.

L.Kizzle
06-24-2012, 06:35 PM
I was going to put Rondo, but that's only absolutely if his shot is falling. Westbrook I don't know. The 50 points I can see, but for him to get 13 assists he'd have to flawlessly shift between scoring and passing.
Westbrook averaged over 8 assist before, he can get 13.

When Deron dropped 57, how many assist did he rack up?

Calabis
06-24-2012, 07:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Noob Saibot
06-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I think the 60 point game by Gilbert Arenas was a worser rape job to Kobe than this Marbury game. Plus the Wizards won. :D.

Pointguard
06-24-2012, 09:43 PM
wow.. he was blowing by/crossing Kobe every single try... checkout 3:17, he broke 2 players ankles haha

...and the finish, those clutch treys.... omfg... :bowdown:
They went down like bowling pins. I don't know if I ever saw two players go for broke. Ha. One was on a time lapse.

jaydacris
06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
in that game,

marbury and van horn combined for 70 points

kobe and shaq combined for 70 points

marbury/kvh = kobe/shaq ?

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
I think the 60 point game by Gilbert Arenas was a worser rape job to Kobe than this Marbury game. Plus the Wizards won. :D.
If i recall correctly, Kobe wasn't the primary defender on Arenas that game. That game was EPIC nonetheless.

Kobe 4 The Win
06-24-2012, 10:50 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

That's a metaphor for their careers if I've ever seen one.

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Westbrook can do it.
I don't think Westbrook can do it. When he's hot, he'll ride it till the end of the game. And I don't know about Rondo, he was uncharacteristically hitting jumpshots all over the place during that historic game vs the Heat in the PO, which RARELY happens because of his below average jump shot. I'd say Rose has a better chance of putting up 50 and 13.

lbj23clutch
06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

That's a metaphor for their careers if I've ever seen one.
Yup typical Kobe. Always hitting big shots no matter the circumstance. Like that game this year vs the Hornets where he was like 2-18 and then hit the game winner. What a boss :cheers:

HylianNightmare
06-24-2012, 11:21 PM
dude was putting in the buisness

d.bball.guy
06-25-2012, 12:22 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

eliteballer
06-25-2012, 12:38 AM
4 clips of Kobe guarding a dude who's on fire using picks left and right...........:rolleyes:

ShaqAttack3234
06-25-2012, 01:56 AM
I uploaded this entire game a while ago. This has always been a very memorable game, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7gvOaXo7-g

Marbury was very entertaining in his prime, I was actually a fan back then. Still one of the most talented point guards I've seen, and he wasn't just a complete cancer for his entire career.

He started the '99-'00 season off incredibly selfish, it was a big story, he was scoring a ton, but jacking up a ton of shots, the Nets couldn't win and his reputation couldn't be worse. Then, it seemed as though he "figured it out", he was still a scoring point guard, but doing a much better job facilitating and playing much smarter, and a bad Net team was actually playing around .500 ball for virtually a 4 month stretch after that disastrous start.

It also seemed like '03 was Marbury's year leading a young Suns team to the playoffs. And he did go to a Knicks team well under .500 in '04, and led them to the playoffs. While Marbury was a disaster here in NY towards the end of his career, and I can say that he did play well initially, and even in '05 when the team wasn't winning, Marbury played like a star, but had very little talent around him.

I'm not saying he'd be my first pick at PG, but while he always had his critic, the perception of him around his prime form '99 or so through '05, wasn't what it is today. And with the game being called in a way that favors point guards, Marbury would likely be more successful today.

Depends on the year. Kobe was a great defender who was consistently motivated during the 2000 season. His on the ball defense was phenomenal, and he asked guys like Jordan, Eddie Jones and Gary Payton for tips defensively prior to that season.

Kobe was arguably the best perimeter defender in the league in 2000 along with guys like Pippen and Eddie Jones.

It was that NBC Sunday game vs the Sixers when he switched onto Iverson in the second half and held him scoreless that really caused everyone to take notice.

His effort dropped off slightly in the '01 season as his scoring increased, but not that much, and he was still very good.

3peat Kobe was very good defensively, and he was motivated again for the '07-'08 season after dropping 20 pounds and becoming a defensive stopper for team USA.

So, the all-defensive 1st teams and 2nd teams that Kobe deserved, imo were 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2008.

With that being said, some of the selections have been a joke, and while there's always been an unfair bias towards stars, I have no idea how Kobe has continued making the all-defensive team the last 3 seasons, and in oarticular, him making the all-defensive team in 2007 and 2011 were hard to believe.

That's how talented Marbury was. Just talking about skills and pure ability and talent, he was more gifted and had more potential, imo than the scoring point guards we have now like Rose and Westbrook.

Marbury actually had five 40/10 games.

50/3/12, 5 TO, 17/26 FG, 4/8 3P, 12/16 FT in '01 vs the Lakers
45/6/10, 6 TO, 12/22 FG, 6/8 3P, 15/16 FT in '05 vs the Lakers
41/2/11, 1 TO, 13/24 FG, 4/10 3P, 11/14 FT in '99 vs the Bucks
41/4/11, 0 TO, 15/28 FG, 4/6 3P, 7/8 FT in '03 vs the Mavs
40/4/12, 0 TO, 16/24 FG, 8/11 FT in '99 vs the Rockets

And outside of Payton's 24/7/9 in 2000, Marbury's 24/3/8 in '01 is just about the most impressive statistical season for a scoring point guard in the last 10-15 years.

Well, there's a big difference considering Kobe was an elite defender in '01, while he did not play good defense in '07. Plus, going by memory, I remember Kobe guarding Marbury a lot more than he guarded Arenas. He only started guarding Arenas late in that game, iirc, other than a possession here or there.

TheMarkMadsen
06-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Omg Kobe sucks. Marbury > Kobe.
:kobe:

Lebron23
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Marbury is really an underrated player.

Doctor Rivers
01-22-2013, 11:15 PM

Thanks

Noob Saibot
01-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Tons of guys outplayed Kobe Jordan. Starbury is just one of them.

TheBigVeto
01-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Stephon Marbury drops 50 points/13 assists with a young athletic Kobe guarding him:bowdown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYm0Djpt94s

Pretty Impressive for Starbury to score 50 on a young athletic Kobe, who was one of the best defenders at the time. Also factor in a prime Shaq who was guarding the paint. Just an awesome performance from Starbury. This game was in 2001.

:cheers: Enjoy.

Nothing special. Kobe has always been an overrated defender. If anybody doesn't score a lot on Kobe, it must be the player's off-day, not Kobe's defense. It happens.

Money 23
01-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Only 21 pts of those 50 were with Kobe guarding him.
That's essentially half of his points. This isn't 1 on 1, all things considering that's a decent amount.

I still remember this game, too. Crazy to think it was over 10 years ago. That alley oop to Marbury, him breaking Lakers with his handles. In hi day, Marbury was serious.

ShaqAttack3234
01-23-2013, 12:34 AM
That's essentially half of his points. This isn't 1 on 1, all things considering that's a decent amount.

I still remember this game, too. Crazy to think it was over 10 years ago. That alley oop to Marbury, him breaking Lakers with his handles. In hi day, Marbury was serious.

Yeah, Marbury gets grouped in Francis(who wasn't a scrub), but Steph was flat out better. I watched Steph a lot, and he was damn good, not a championship-caliber franchise player, but he was dangerous. His career took a wrong path, but he was fun to watch while it lasted. I can't believe it's been this long either. I still have the Marbury jersey I bought in '01 or whatever.

longtime lurker
01-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Yeah, Marbury gets grouped in Francis(who wasn't a scrub), but Steph was flat out better. I watched Steph a lot, and he was damn good, not a championship-caliber franchise player, but he was dangerous. His career took a wrong path, but he was fun to watch while it lasted. I can't believe it's been this long either. I still have the Marbury jersey I bought in '01 or whatever.

I've always thought the only real problem with Marbury and Francis were that they can't be the best player on your team. They were essentially Westbrook before Westbrook, except they didn't have the luxury of playing with a Durant level player.

ShaqAttack3234
01-23-2013, 12:41 AM
I've always thought the only real problem with Marbury and Francis were that they can't be the best player on your team. They were essentially Westbrook before Westbrook, except they didn't have the luxury of playing with a Durant level player.

Yeah, that's a good analogy. I think that Marbury was actually more of a natural PG than Westbrook, though. But both were always asked to be the best player during their primes, and without great supporting casts. Both did decently all things considered. Then the idiot, Isiah, decided to team them up. :facepalm

Money 23
01-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Marbury and Francis as individuals are both better more skilled players than Westbrook. Same goes for a healthy Baron Davis.

NBASTATMAN
01-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Where is the Irving stan that thought I was crazy to compare Marbury and Irving? :rolleyes:

Legends66NBA7
01-23-2013, 12:48 AM
I remember when the Knicks traded for Francis and literally :roll: that he was going to be on the same team with his identical twin in Marbury. Such a horrible matchup.

More like overrated player. He was a cancer, selfish, and didn't really make anybody around him better. He burned bridges with every franchise he went to in his prime.

Same thing can be said about Francis too.

lakerspng
01-23-2013, 12:50 AM

Except when Marbury was on the Twolves with Garnett... really thought that was going to be the next Stockton/Malone combo. If things had not gone sour there.... who knows.

longtime lurker
01-23-2013, 12:51 AM
Yeah, that's a good analogy. I think that Marbury was actually more of a natural PG than Westbrook, though. But both were always asked to be the best player during their primes, and without great supporting casts. Both did decently all things considered. Then the idiot, Isiah, decided to team them up. :facepalm

Them on New York was good for laughs. Even they must have been thinking what the fvck. I agree Marbury was more of a natural PG than Westbrook, but Francis was a Westbrook clone with better handles and worse shooting.

ShaqAttack3234
01-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I remember that '03-'04 season. :facepalm I remember talking with a friend who was also a Knick fan when we heard the news, and we were so excited to have a player of Marbury's talent and a Marbury/Houston backcourt. That went out about as bad as it possibly could. Houston barely played after that, and Marbury ended up eating vaseline......

Money 23
01-23-2013, 12:53 AM
but Francis was a Westbrook clone with better handles and worse shooting.
I'd say they were equally streaky shooters.

Francis had WAY better handles, better passer ... both un willing passers as combo guards.

Westbrook obviously has the physical advantages in terms of length, durability, and strength.

Anyone seen a pic of Francis over the past few years since he left the game? He looks like an utter bum.

If you never knew he was at one time a peak physical professional athlete, you'd figure he was a local crack head.

Shame. B-Low would be sad.

jayfan
01-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Marbury and Francis as individuals are both better more skilled players than Westbrook.

Better throw in Rod Strickland while you're at it.

longtime lurker
01-23-2013, 01:17 AM
I'd say they were equally streaky shooters.

Francis had WAY better handles, better passer ... both un willing passers as combo guards.

Westbrook obviously has the physical advantages in terms of length, durability, and strength.

Anyone seen a pic of Francis over the past few years since he left the game? He looks like an utter bum.

If you never knew he was at one time a peak physical professional athlete, you'd figure he was a local crack head.

Shame. B-Low would be sad.

I actually think Westbrook is a better passer than Francis or maybe more willing passer. Francis handles were just unreal. I remember having clips of him playing at the rucker destroying a guy off the dribble.......blindfolded. And yeah it sucks what happened to him, but I've seen him on NBA tv recently so maybe he's getting his shit together.

longtime lurker
01-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Except when Marbury was on the Twolves with Garnett... really thought that was going to be the next Stockton/Malone combo. If things had not gone sour there.... who knows.

Marbury and Garnett and Iverson and Garnett would have been the ultimate NBA duos. Just makes you wonder what if. Those were the days when you only need two star players, now it's all about 3 sometimes 4 :roll:

longtime lurker
01-23-2013, 01:21 AM
I remember that '03-'04 season. :facepalm I remember talking with a friend who was also a Knick fan when we heard the news, and we were so excited to have a player of Marbury's talent and a Marbury/Houston backcourt. That went out about as bad as it possibly could. Houston barely played after that, and Marbury ended up eating vaseline......

Lmao don't feel bad. The Knicks were actually playing well until they traded for Tim Thomas. Then like everything Tim Thomas touches it went to shit. Then they brought in Eddy Curry, Randolph, Jamal Crawford in the most absolute cluster **** of a team