PDA

View Full Version : Better Series To Delve Into: Breaking Bad, Californication, Game of Thrones?

QUIZZLE
06-25-2012, 04:58 AM
I've been wanting to rip a torrent here soon of a new series to get into. I've noticed I've been seeing a lot of re-runs of my favorite programs on TV and want to try something new. I've heard a lot about those three that are listed.

ImmortalNemesis
06-25-2012, 05:05 AM
Game of Thrones.

mika
06-25-2012, 05:08 AM
Game of Thrones.
This.

alenleomessi
06-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Game of Thrones.
It might be the best but its not for everyone's taste

RidonKs
06-25-2012, 05:15 AM
start with breaking bad, new season is just about to kick off i think, that way you'll be able to watch the whole series at once with everything fresh in your mind

game of thrones you'll wanna wait for the opposite reason, it just ended so if you watch it now, you'll have to deal with the agonizing pain of having to wait for the 3rd season

both are terrific shows, breaking bad more plot driven a single soul on a rollercoast ride to the top whereas game of thrones is character driven, lots of major figures bumping heads and competing for top spot, "players in the game of thrones". different perspectives on the same theme really, though with got you're immersing yourself in a whole new world which really pulls you in.

RidonKs
06-25-2012, 05:31 AM
i have some friends who are into californication, supposed to be worth a look but something tells me it doesn't hold up to the other two

therammingman
06-25-2012, 05:40 AM
BB

Kews1
06-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Game of Thrones

iamgine
06-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Definitely Game of Thrones. Just higher in terms of quality and story line.

But...GOT is still to be continued while BB has pretty much ended (even though there will be a new season) so on that note BB might be a better watch.

miller-time
06-25-2012, 06:52 AM
agree, start breaking bad first. once that it is finished you won't have to wait AS long before game of thrones season 3 starts.

also check out luther (idris elba) if you haven't seen it yet. also a pretty decent show.

rufuspaul
06-25-2012, 07:37 AM
i have some friends who are into californication, supposed to be worth a look but something tells me it doesn't hold up to the other two

Some of the dialogue is cleaver and there are some kinky sex scenes but over all not that great a show imo.

Game Of Thrones ftw.

miller-time
06-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Some of the dialogue is cleaver and there are some kinky sex scenes but over all not that great a show imo.

yeah it gets silly at times. it is watchable, but it is low on the list of "must see tv."

jamal99
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
I'd rank them

1. Game of Thrones
2. Breaking Bad

3. Californication

SCREWstonRockets
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Breaking Bad. Since it almost over, mine as well catch up. Best show on TV.

Godzuki
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
breaking bad.

game of thrones moves extremely slow, lots of dialogue, and imo not worth watching until you can watch the whole series when its finished and aired.

Dolphin
06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
I still haven't finished the last season of Breaking Bad, but I will tell you that it has been intense in a way that Game of Thrones has not at this point through two seasons. Lots of "Oh Shit!!!" moments whereas GoT is still building up slowly even though it has spanned over two seasons.

The two best dramas on tv by far.

rufuspaul
06-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Am I the only one here that still watches True Blood? :lol

Kobe Jnr
06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Breaking Bad. I dont like medieval times..

DaHeezy
06-25-2012, 10:33 AM
I like Game Of Thrones, that being said I was into fantasy novels, so this may not be for everyone. Breaking Bad seems to attract a more diverse crowd.

But if it's an option, and you haven't seen it yet I would recommend The Walking Dead. It'll get you primed for the new season next month

RaininTwos
06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Californication appealed to me most

BGriffin's Dad
06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Californication

Myth
06-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Breaking Bad, oh yeah! :rockon:

rufuspaul
06-25-2012, 02:29 PM
The first season of Californication is amazing, the rest are just okay. Go with one of the other two.

When Duchovny gets punched I lost it. :oldlol:

bigkingsfan
06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
BB, enjoyed that series throughout. I thought Thrones season two sucked.

TylerOO
06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Prison Break

rufuspaul
06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
BB, enjoyed that series throughout. I thought Thrones season two sucked.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/rufuspaul/margaerytyrelltits.gif

:no:

SuperPippen
06-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Surprised at how many people think Game of Thrones is better than Breaking Bad. I've watched every episode of both, and, to me, Breaking Bad is clearly better.

Don't get me wrong, Game of Thrones is an very entertaining show with terrific actors, and it is an impressive adaptation of intimidating source material. It is also extremely messy, haphazard, and inconsistently written.

To the OP, I guess it depends on our taste. I'd say that you watch the Pilot of each episode and see which one you prefer the most. My personal recommendation would be:

1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones

3. Californication

Although I confess that I've seen less of Californication than I've seen of the other two.

No Name
06-26-2012, 12:44 AM
breaking bad

KingBeasley08
06-26-2012, 12:50 AM
I saw the first episode of Game of Thrones and decided that with its pace, I'd probably wait for the whole thing to be done before I watched it all at once.

Watch Breaking Bad :bowdown:
season 5 about to start in a few weaks. amazing show

miller-time
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Surprised at how many people think Game of Thrones is better than Breaking Bad. I've watched every episode of both, and, to me, Breaking Bad is clearly better.

Don't get me wrong, Game of Thrones is an very entertaining show with terrific actors, and it is an impressive adaptation of intimidating source material. It is also extremely messy, haphazard, and inconsistently written.

even though they are both drama they are still very different shows. i agree that breaking bad is more consistent, but it is also a psychologically darker show.

it'd be like comparing requiem for a dream to lord of the rings. both do their thing brilliantly. but you only want to watch one of them every 5 years. it might not be the best analogy but you get what i mean right?

SuperPippen
06-26-2012, 01:11 AM
even though they are both drama they are still very different shows. i agree that breaking bad is more consistent, but it is also a psychologically darker show.

it'd be like comparing requiem for a dream to lord of the rings. both do their thing brilliantly. but you only want to watch one of them every 5 years. it might not be the best analogy but you get what i mean right?

I understand what you're saying, and I agree. BB and GoT are two very different dramatic television series that deliver with a high level of quality. However if I could only choose one of the shows to watch, it would definitely be Breaking Bad.

RidonKs
06-26-2012, 01:12 AM
agreed on the inconsistency of GoT, especially in the second season there were a lot of scenes that just didn't pan out. the depth of the novels kind of forces the hand of the writers to include details and events occurring elsewhere that are necessary to truly understand the overarching plot but don't necessarily mesh so well with what's going on in the scene. filler i guess you'd call it, even though it's not traditional filler just to take up space, it only feels that way.

breaking bad on the other hand just doesn't have the intense anticipation that GoT offers imo. there are plenty of unknowns but in the end, for the first four seasons at least, it was easy enough to guess the general trajectory of the only character we really feel for. surprises along the way sure, and loads of unexpected rash decisions and junk, but the suspense isn't anywhere near the level of martin's "ANYBODY CAN DIE AT ANY TIME" storytelling

made thrones a more enjoyable watch for me, in the first season anyway... that was until i caught up and fast forwarded through the plot by reading the books. now i think i can safely say i prefer breaking bad as a show, if not by much.

neilio23
06-26-2012, 01:18 AM
BB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else.

SuperPippen
06-26-2012, 01:36 AM
agreed on the inconsistency of GoT, especially in the second season there were a lot of scenes that just didn't pan out. the depth of the novels kind of forces the hand of the writers to include details and events occurring elsewhere that are necessary to truly understand the overarching plot but don't necessarily mesh so well with what's going on in the scene. filler i guess you'd call it, even though it's not traditional filler just to take up space, it only feels that way.

breaking bad on the other hand just doesn't have the intense anticipation that GoT offers imo. there are plenty of unknowns but in the end, for the first four seasons at least, it was easy enough to guess the general trajectory of the only character we really feel for. surprises along the way sure, and loads of unexpected rash decisions and junk, but the suspense isn't anywhere near the level of martin's "ANYBODY CAN DIE AT ANY TIME" storytelling

made thrones a more enjoyable watch for me, in the first season anyway... that was until i caught up and fast forwarded through the plot by reading the books. now i think i can safely say i prefer breaking bad as a show, if not by much.

I know what you mean about those "filler" scenes, and in some cases I found them to be quite good, especially Arya's interactions with Tywin. But it seems like the majority of those scenes fell flat, or weren't nearly as effective at enhancing the narrative than I thought they could have been.

I can understand the necessity of writing such scenes, as cramming hundreds of pages of exposition into only 10 hours of television is no easy task, and the abridging and altering of the source material is, for the most part, forgivable. And any such complaints are mostly heard from those who've already read the books, and are already familiar with the story.

Your point about the added suspense and anticipation of GoT is a valid one, but I feel that Breaking Bad is equally intense and suspenseful due to the dynamic nature of the main character. While the audience can rest assured that that neither Walt nor Jesse will die, the transformation of their characters and the traumatic events that have taken place in their lives do a great deal to ensure that a show with a much more narrow perspective, like Breaking Bad, is just as intense and exciting as a show with a much broader scope, like Game of Thrones.

It's funny, because I, like you, have found myself having less of an appreciation for Game of Thrones after reading the books. I guess it's due to the fact that the medium of television just doesn't have the capacity to flesh out the characters and the overall narrative in comparison to the book series, which is a sentiment that only one who's read the source material would understand.

Jyap9675
06-26-2012, 06:16 AM
breaking bad is amazing

macmac
06-26-2012, 06:23 AM
breakin bad destroys anything not named the wire

UK-NJ
06-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Breaking Bad. No contest.

jamal99
06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Nope :cheers:

Godzuki
06-26-2012, 08:45 AM

To the OP, I guess it depends on our taste. I'd say that you watch the Pilot of each episode and see which one you prefer the most. My personal recommendation would be:

1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones

3. Californication

Although I confess that I've seen less of Californication than I've seen of the other two.

its unfair tho since GoT at this point is very incomplete, where as Breaking Bad feels like a full epic movie and then some.

i've watched parts of Californication but can't get into it either, nor could i get into Hung. i guess i can't get inito these gigolo type shows.

whoever said Walking Dead is nuts. i've never seen a show fall off a cliff so much from one season to the next. in fact never seen a show so bad where its almost like making fun of it for being so bad is more entertaining than the show itself in regards to the 2nd season. i mean looking back at what i watched between the zombie in the well episode early in S2, then the 3 episodes of looking for a girl, in what was like a 6-7 show season?....was seriously some of the worst of TV/movies i've ever sat thru :facepalm if not for the subject material there is no way it could survive that awful S2 writing.

Godzuki
06-26-2012, 08:47 AM

i'm watching it now and think its at least decent again. i stopped watching it last season since it got so awful. i like the authority stuff going on right now.

Bucket_Nakedz
06-26-2012, 08:50 AM
haven't watched breaking bad or californication, but game of frones is great.

i also suggests watching switched at birf and grimm.

Saintsfan1992
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
GOT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything

and its not even close. :pimp:

QUIZZLE
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Welp, I just watched my first 11 episodes of Breaking Bad in a row. I can't believe how intense it was from the start. Can't wait to pick up tomorrow. Should easily be able to finish the present seasons on my long ass flight from Sydney to Dallas Saturday.

:banana: