PDA

View Full Version : Rockets attempting to acquire picks to complete Dwight Howard trade

Rowe
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
UPDATE (12:48 a.m. ET): Upon hearing of Sunday night's developments, one rival general manager told ESPN.com that he believes Houston's real aim is acquiring two top-10 picks this week to turn around quickly and offer both to the Orlando Magic as part of a considerable trade offer for Dwight Howard.

The Rockets' willingness to trade for Howard -- even without the All-Star center's signature on a contract extension -- is an open secret around the league. But it's believed that two top-eight picks, assuming Houston managed to complete trades with both Sacramento and Toronto, would seriously pique the interest of new Magic general manager Rob Hennigan, who could then quickly start following the same sort of roster-building blueprint relied on by his previous employers in Oklahoma City.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/46492/rockets-set-sights-on-moving-up-in-draft

Interesting. I think it would be a major risk for Houston to try to do this.

Would it convince D-Will to sign with Houston?

Rowe
06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
:confusedshrug:

Crown&Coke
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
I think its a huge gamble to try and get Howard and he still walks. Houston would have to put up an epic run to the finals for him to consider staying if they do indeed get him.

Don't know how Houston would reel in both Dwight AND Deron, for a team built with supreme role players with no legit star since Yao, would be a massive turn around to get two legit cornerstones in one offseason, just dont see it happening

bagelred
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I like this. Morey has been trying to do this for years. He keeps acquiring assets and keeps patiently waiting for an available franchise player. Almost had Gasol last year.

Houston should do it. Don't you guys always say you have to be very good or very bad? Well, Morey believes it to.

Best GM in the league.

niko
06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Where else is Howard going to go? Leave for where? If Deron stays, Brooklyn needs to resign their other players, cap room gone. If he leaves, Brooklyn is much less attractive. Dallas has same Deron situation, if they get him they'll fill around him.

It's not a terrible gamble.

Snoop_Cat
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
I think it's worth the risk for the Rockets.

The biggest problem with them is that they are stuck in "limbo" - never bad enough to get a good lottery pick and never good enough to make a splash. They're not going to obtain any high level talent via free agency (well extremely unlikely anyways) and to acquire a star, they'd have to give up multiple talented players, thinning out their roster.

If they get Howard and manages to use that as leverage to get other players, they win. If Howard leaves, they'll likely suck balls from giving away their players for assets and will have a high lottery pick in a year or teo so they'll sort of win in that regard.

IGotACoolStory
06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
If they get Howard and manages to use that as leverage to get other players, they win. If Howard leaves, they'll likely suck balls from giving away their players for assets and will have a high lottery pick in a year or teo so they'll sort of win in that regard.

That's how I see it.

They are stuck right now. No NBA franchise wants to be a 13-14 pick / 7th-8th seed every year.

Usually teams blow up the roster and try to rebuild through the draft. Right now is a unique opportunity to land a franchise player so you might as well reach for the stars. If it doesn't work in the end (Howard goes to Hou and then still bolts), you end up back to the normal blowing up roster beginning anyway. All you may lose is a building piece or two and a couple picks. So basically 1-3 years behind schedule if you were to have blown up without going after Dwight.

DUP
06-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Eww Dwight in Houston?

RidonKs
06-25-2012, 02:27 PM
:bowdown: dwight/scola

best frontcourt in the league regardless of who's at the 3. and if parsons continues to improve it would certainly turn into the best defensive frontcourt.

man i'd love to see this go down, houston's a great organization, lots of young promising talent, pg/sf spots are filled long term, scola has exactly the sort of game that will transition beautifully into the twilight of his career (and that goes double if he's playing alongside dwight)

they'd probably need to upgrade with a reliable scorer on the wing, but then again dragic was playing out of his mind as the season wound down so that might not een be necessary

it really blows that howard has turned into such a winy impatient turd in the last year. he always seemed like such an even keeled good natured dude, i was shocked when all the drama queen crap arose last year. and now he's still for all intents and purposes holding teams hostage until he gets exactly what he wants. bleh

the miami trio really set a horrible precedent for young players

Brickz187
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Houston should do what they can to get it done. Who cares if he walks, they will finally be a terrible team and get some lottery picks if he does walk. What if he takes them to the playoffs, let alone the finals? Don't think he would walk then. Might as well go for it.

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
imo, insane.
That's a HUGE risk to take. I would not do it unless I heard something positive from Howard.
Further, that team could actually be WORSE than Orlando was.

talkingconch
06-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Houston acquires Dwight Howard, trades for Gasol :lol

R.I.P.
06-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Sounds good. He can get used to Texas before joining the Mavs in 2013. :D

pegasus
06-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I like this. Morey has been trying to do this for years. He keeps acquiring assets and keeps patiently waiting for an available franchise player. Almost had Gasol last year.

Houston should do it. Don't you guys always say you have to be very good or very bad? Well, Morey believes it to.

Best GM in the league.

You just want Dwight out of the Eastern Conference.:lol

Mr Exlax
06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
I think i just jizzed my pants. It's about damn time! Nah this move is perfect for us (Rockets). We're stuck pretty much. We're better than a lottery team, but not good enough to contend in the playoffs. Go big or go home. At least if he does walk then we're gonna be a lottery team after and can rebuild from there. This will be awesome! We've got so many good pieces to move and still have a team when Dwight gets here.

monkeypox
06-25-2012, 03:21 PM
How is it such s risk? According to most fans these days you either contend or you intentionally tank for picks. This plan gets you one or the other. I don't agree with that loser mentality, but that's how most fans see it nowadays.

amfirst
06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
LOL horrible move... but people will do what they want.

bagelred
06-25-2012, 04:53 PM
You just want Dwight out of the Eastern Conference.:lol

Haha doesn't hurt, but I really feel that way anyway.

spiegel
06-25-2012, 06:58 PM
We give up a potential future of a Beal/Drummond combo along Dragic and Parsons for a one year rental of a player who by all reports has zero intentions of staying beyond?. I hope our GM is better then that.

outbreak
06-25-2012, 07:06 PM
We give up a potential future of a Beal/Drummond combo along Dragic and Parsons for a one year rental of a player who by all reports has zero intentions of staying beyond?. I hope our GM is better then that.

I think there has to be more going on behind closed doors then we know about for Houston to be this set on risking it all for Howard.

spiegel
06-25-2012, 07:12 PM
We do have enough cap space for a max free agent to build around Dwight so Someone like Eric Gordon or pipe dream like Deron Williams might be enough to keep him happy long term.

outbreak
06-25-2012, 07:16 PM
We do have enough cap space for a max free agent to build around Dwight so Someone like Eric Gordon or pipe dream like Deron Williams might be enough to keep him happy long term.

Atlanta are rumoured to be cleaning house too. Would rockets want to take on Joe Johnsons contract to run Dragic, Johnson, Parsons, Scola, Howard?

spiegel
06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Not a chance.

Hedo15
06-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Atlanta are rumoured to be cleaning house too. Would rockets want to take on Joe Johnsons contract to run Dragic, Johnson, Parsons, Scola, Howard?

Wouldnt part 2 of the Magic deal involve them taking Turk as well?

outbreak
06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Wouldnt part 2 of the Magic deal involve them taking Turk as well?

Good point. Just throwing out ideas.

NoGunzJustSkillz
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Houston acquires Dwight Howard, trades for Gasol :lol
:lol if houston acquired dwight howard as soon as trades can happen (anybody got a date for me)..what's the earliest houston can turn around and trade howard?

NBA2k-Monster23
06-25-2012, 08:26 PM
They can trade now I think. Free agency and Sign and Trade starts July1.

RazorBaLade
06-25-2012, 08:35 PM
is this going to mean howard accepts being traded to LA and signing an extension? cuz he wont go to hou right?

bagelred
06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
:lol if houston acquired dwight howard as soon as trades can happen (anybody got a date for me)..what's the earliest houston can turn around and trade howard?

If Houston is under the cap, they can trade Howard right away. Remember Quentin Richardson?

If over the cap, Howard can only be traded ALONE. Otherwise, have to wait 60 days to combine him with other players in trade.

bada bing
06-25-2012, 08:41 PM
what ppl ignored after reading this article is that Houston expects to get the top 10 picks. Why the heck will raptors trade away their draft pick? what can houston give them?

MiseryCityTexas
06-25-2012, 08:47 PM

I hope like shit that the Rockets can get Joe Johnson (and even Old Mac)

spiegel
06-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Aldridge confirmed what i suspected tha noway Dwight stays in houston beyond next season so whats the point in giving two lottery picks up for him?. Kevin Martin to Wolves for pick 18 and a player makes sense.

lilgodfather1
06-25-2012, 11:55 PM
They don't really have the assets to get TWO top ten picks.

spiegel
06-25-2012, 11:58 PM
They don't really have the assets to get TWO top ten picks.
Lowry an pick 16 to the raptors,blazers or the kings 1st pick is a certianty.Another deal was in play to for anther lotto pick.

Timmy D for MVP
06-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Isn't Houston also looking to move Dalembert?

I've heard that Sacramento, and Toronto have been real positive in discussions with the Rockets. Certainly a lot of very interesting possibilities.

ElPigto
06-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Aldridge confirmed what i suspected tha noway Dwight stays in houston beyond next season so whats the point in giving two lottery picks up for him?. Kevin Martin to Wolves for pick 18 and a player makes sense.

I call his bluff and see if he is truly going to leave like 20-25M on the table.

spiegel
06-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Isn't Houston also looking to move Dalembert?

I've heard that Sacramento, and Toronto have been real positive in discussions with the Rockets. Certainly a lot of very interesting possibilities.
Dally an pick 14 for pick 5 an chuck Hayes is the rummor

spiegel
06-26-2012, 01:21 AM
I call his bluff and see if he is truly going to leave like 20-25M on the table.
Kevin McHale could teach him some legit low post moves and turn him into a very, very good low post player. It seems like Mporey and Les are putting all their eggs in this basket. For our sake i hope it comes off but every year we rummors

Timmy D for MVP
06-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Dally an pick 14 for pick 5 an chuck Hayes is the rummor

No shit.

How funny would that be. Morey gets his sabermetrics stud back and the Kings re-aquire Dalembert. It'd have been like a double loan stint. :oldlol:

spiegel
06-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Ironic indeed. Rockets obviously get he better end of this deal for sure.Hayes can backup Scola and Camby backup Howard. Plenty of defense and rebounding.

Rowe
06-26-2012, 03:38 AM
Good point. More like $40-50 Million.

Espescially if Deron does go to Dallas.

There really wont be any sort of way Dwight will be able to sign in Dallas without forfeiting a lot of money, a lot of money he wont make back in endorsements considering Dallas isn't exactly LA or NY.

Rowe
06-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Ironic indeed. Rockets obviously get he better end of this deal for sure.Hayes can backup Scola and Camby backup Howard. Plenty of defense and rebounding.

Chuck Hayes signed with Sacramento last year.

spiegel
06-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Chuck Hayes signed with Sacramento last year.
He'll be returning as part of the trade packiage and not as a free agent. That is the rummor.

Rowe
06-26-2012, 04:14 AM
He'll be returning as part of the trade packiage and not as a free agent. That is the rummor.
Wow. That was a quick trip in Sacramento. :lol

spiegel
06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Wow. That was a quick trip in Sacramento. :lol
He was a bad fit for them from the get go.

BlueCrayon
06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Houston should just keep the picks and use them.

D12"Magic"
06-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Houston being a huge **** block :oldlol:

guy on the radio brought up a good
point.

Rockets(T-mac)
06-26-2012, 12:19 PM
This is risky. If they give up picks and players like Lowry, scola, martin. I'll be pissed. If they only give up the picks and say martin, it might be an ok risk. But you'd need to know what dwight is saying. Getting him without a commitment from him still doesn't feel like a good idea.

And god Dwight is a baby. I can't say I like him or his game much, but we'll see.

niko
06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=D12"Magic"]Houston being a huge **** block :oldlol:

guy on the radio brought up a good
point.

hawkfan
06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
If the Rockets don't land Dwight Howard, I wouldn't be surprised to see some trade talk between the Hawks and the Rockets for Josh Smith for some of those picks.

I certainly don't want that to happen, but it is possible. The Hawks may want to rebuild with younger players and the Rockets are looking to add a young veteran.