PDA

View Full Version : Will any player ever utilize the granny style free throw?

Brick Rick
06-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Free throws are such an integral part of the game, and I've heard the argument that from a physics point of view the granny form for free throws is a higher percentage shot than the traditional method. Rick Barry was a 90% free throw shooter and he swears by it. Players are reluctant to consider it because it's not a good look and has the granny label attached to it. Shaq and Wilt could have been career 70-80% free throw shooters (imagine how many more wins from close games that would have resulted in ) but they would rather look good and shoot 50%.

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2011/03/rickbarry.jpg

Knicksfever2010
06-25-2012, 05:47 PM
no

inclinerator
06-25-2012, 05:53 PM
maybe in the future

jbot
06-25-2012, 05:56 PM
not any time soon i don't think.

Tenchi Ryu
06-25-2012, 05:57 PM
No bullshit, I honestly thought you weren't allowed to do that before reading this thread.

Knicksfever2010
06-25-2012, 05:59 PM
No bullshit, I honestly thought you weren't allowed to do that before reading this thread.

http://diaryofamadgayman.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/wait-what.jpg

Owl
06-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Free throws are such an integral part of the game, and I've heard the argument that from a physics point of view the granny form for free throws is a higher percentage shot than the traditional method. Rick Barry was a 90% free throw shooter and he swears by it. Players are reluctant to consider it because it's not a good look and has the granny label attached to it. Shaq and Wilt could have been career 70-80% free throw shooters (imagine how many more wins from close games that would have resulted in ) but they would rather look good and shoot 50%.

I think I recall Bo Outlaw (an awful FT shooter), having been taught it by Clipper teammate Brent Barry tried it for a while (probably not in games) but gave up on it.

Anyway labelling the Barry technique "granny style" is misleading, it's not a simple underarm thrown, if you look at where his hands are on the ball he applied a lot of backspin.

Reasons it is isn't used may in part be the "uncoolness" factor. But if it could make the difference between having an NBA career and earning an NBA wage or not, I'd think people would try to learn it. So there would have to be other reasons as well
1) Regular form replicates the form for jump shots to a large degree. Thus by practicing conventional set shots you are also working on a technique you can use in game.
and
2) It needs to be properly coached. As I said before, it's not a simple underarm throw. If coaches aren't capable of teaching it properly, adjusting those who don't get it immediately, then it won't get taught at all.

As for will it be used in the future, I'd suspect not. Not by more than one or two players anyway. The combination of the the reasons above plus the aforementioned uncoolness.

Unreal Skill
06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Maybe, but making free throws require more than just mechanics, confidence and muscle memory are just as important.

For example, many players can make free throws consistency in practice, but when it comes to game time...it's a different story

clayton
06-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Sick jersey!!!

IGOTGAME
06-25-2012, 06:16 PM
it is a really easy way to shoot. I am surprised more big man haven't tried it.

ihatetimthomas
06-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Maybe, but making free throws require more than just mechanics, confidence and muscle memory are just as important.

For example, many players can make free throws consistency in practice, but when it comes to game time...it's a different story

And then there are just some guys who are just not good at shooting. All the practice in the world for some players will never make them a 70%+ FT shooter. I doubt Deandre Jordan makes hi FT's in practice. At some point, you would think it would be worth it for some of these guys who are god awful at free throws to try something like this. They are huge huge liabilities in crunch time and will never see huge minutes unless they dominate like Shaq.

Foster5k
06-25-2012, 06:26 PM
NBA should out law it....

looks gay.

mjokc
06-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I think it's because most NBA players especially big men have huge penises and it would be extremely uncomfortable to sit the ball on top of their large dangling man meat. The dude in the picture looks like he doesn't have that problem.

chips93
06-25-2012, 06:37 PM

any sources/links to back up bolded?

Figlo
06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
no, even if they shot 100% with it, people care to much about how they look and what is said about them these days

outbreak
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I always thought Dwight should do this.