PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Drexler disses Magic Johnson hard....

DirtySanchez
06-26-2012, 08:16 PM
"Magic was always..." And Drexler goes into a decent Magic impression: "'Come on, Clyde, come on, Clyde, get with me, get with me,' and making all that noise. And, really, he couldn't play much by that time. He couldn't guard his shadow."

"But you have to have to understand what was going on then. Everybody kept waiting for Magic to die. Every time he'd run up the court everybody would feel sorry for the guy, and he'd get all that benefit of the doubt. Magic came across like, 'All this is my stuff.' Really? Get outta here, dude. He was on the declining end of his career."

Drexler had played exquisitely in the 1992 All-Star Game in Orlando, although the MVP award eventually went to Magic, who had been added by Commissioner Stern as a special thirteenth player to the Western Conference roster. "If we all knew Magic was going to live this long, I would've gotten the MVP of that game, and Magic probably wouldn't have made the Olympic team."

What a f*cking prick. Don't like Clyde anymore.

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
wow, Drexler, bitter much?

It's A VC3!!!
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
clyde is the most humble player ever. where did this come from?

DirtySanchez
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
wow, Drexler, bitter much?

I know...this came out of left field. No clue why he would say that.

flipogb
06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
good, Magic seems like a douche

G-Funk
06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Cold blooded! lol

http://glennkenny.premiere.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/17/cold_blooded.jpg

Smoke117
06-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Damn Clyde you are salty as ****. It's just an all star MVP who gives a shit? I've never been much of a Drexler fan...the guy was infamous for being lazy as shit, but now I really dislike his ass.

DirtySanchez
06-26-2012, 08:21 PM
clyde is the most humble player ever. where did this come from?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/clyde-drexler-dream-team-era-magic-johnson-everybody-194908503--nba.html

eliteballer
Funny he clowns on Magics abilities when he upset Prime Clyde in the 91 playoffs a year earlier.

DirtySanchez
good, Magic seems like a douche

How is that?

The douche is Clyde.

DirtySanchez
06-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Funny he clowns on Magics abilities when he upset Prime Clyde in the 91 playoffs a year earlier.

Exactly!

StateOfMind12
06-26-2012, 08:22 PM
What Clyde said is more than likely true so you don't like the fact that Clyde told and admitted the truth?

L.Kizzle
06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
How is this a diss, he's speaking how everyone was feeling.

DirtySanchez
06-26-2012, 08:24 PM
What Clyde said is more than likely true so you don't like the fact that Clyde told and admitted the truth?

Read between the lines. The man is salty as f*ck. How you going to down somebody talking about we felt sorry for him because with thought he was going to die. You don't come out and say sh*t like that truth or not. That right there is classless regardless if that's the way he felt.

DirtySanchez
06-26-2012, 08:25 PM
How is this a diss, he's speaking how everyone was feeling.

Sure he speaks for everyone. Jordan Bird etc. our Magic's boys.

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
No. Clyde is clearly bitter.

Replay32
Wow Clyde. :facepalm Magic and the lakers was just one year removed from knocking Clydes team out of the playoffs in 1991. The blazers were favored by the way. And in the elimination game 6, magic had 25 points, 11 rebs, 8 assists, and 2 steals.

Kobe 4 The Win
F**k you Clyde. I knew there was a reason that I never liked your ass.

:oldlol:

DirtySanchez
06-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Wow Clyde. :facepalm Magic and the lakers was just one year removed from knocking Clydes team out of the playoffs in 1991. The blazers were favored by the way. And in the elimination game 6, magic had 25 points, 11 rebs, 8 assists, and 2 steals.

This!!! That nag salty as f*ck!!! F*ck Clyde Drexler now.
Bald mullet b*tch made nag. Was never sh*t compared to Jordan.

DirtySanchez
06-26-2012, 08:31 PM
This for that nag Clyde...

http://www.hippyheadquarters.com/images/Stickers/DeesSaltyNuts-Decal.jpg

B*tch a$$ Clyde...that's what I'm calling him from now on.

Punpun
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
>Dissing Magic

Yeah. No. **** off Drexler. Nobody rembers you.

L.Kizzle
06-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Sure he speaks for everyone. Jordan Bird etc. our Magic's boys.
On the Magic documentary The Announcement, it was said most players felt like that. Back then Karl Malone was the only one to say it, but I'm pretty sure most thought the way Clyde and Malone felt.

All he said is he thought Magic was gonna die as a lot of folks said on the documentary.

jlip
06-26-2012, 08:36 PM

And this play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnLgYfhhKw).

Despite that, and I'm not defending Clyde per se, but in '92 AIDS education was very poor. The disease itself had only been known for a little over a decade. There was a lot of uncertainty regarding what was expected of a person with the virus. When Magic made the announcement I was in the 9th grade and did not expect much longevity of life from him at all. Honestly, when I saw him playing on the Dream Team and also during the All Star game I was shocked by how well he was playing, because I had expected him to just deteriorate very quickly.

bwink23
06-26-2012, 08:37 PM
On the Magic documentary The Announcement, it was said most players felt like that. Back then Karl Malone was the only one to say it, but I'm pretty sure most thought the way Clyde and Malone felt.

All he said is he thought Magic was gonna die as a lot of folks said on the documentary.

Larry Bird also said that team wouldn't have been right without Magic Johnson, and i agree. Clyde is just being a prick.

necya
06-26-2012, 08:39 PM
i never give a shit about those conversations. and i don't understand why people wanna judge people they even know personnally and even less about their relationship / what causes those stupid talks.

SMoKe0uT
06-26-2012, 08:39 PM

Despite that, and I'm not defending Clyde per se, but in '92 AIDS education was very poor. The disease itself had only been known for a little over a decade. There was a lot of uncertainty regarding what was expected of a person with the virus. When Magic made the announcement I was in the 9th grade and did not expect much longevity of life from him at all. Honestly, when I saw him playing on the Dream Team and also during the All Star game I was shocked by how well he was playing, because I had expected him to just deteriorate very quickly.

LOL $$$ will keep you alive contrary to popular belief.

alot of ppl who had aids with they could afford 10 million dollar complete blood transfusions.

AK47DR91
06-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Didn't Isiah Thomas accuse Magic of being gay as well?

Let's not forget, in the the 80's, AIDS and HIV were considered gay diseases. And athletes aren't too kind to the gay community, especially not back then.

Drexter's comments look like something you'd hear on a celerity roast, but as harsh as it is that was how the whole world felt about AIDS and HIV back then.

Punpun
06-26-2012, 08:47 PM
So ? He is spitting on Magic when the guy was clearly still one of th best.

SilkkTheShocker
06-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Drexler sounds like a bitter old retard anytime he talks

Replay32
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM

I'm not buy that. Clyde said magic "couldn't play by this time". And he was on the down side of his career. How is it that magic couldn't play when he was just bustin' your teams ass just one year earlier? His career was cut short, but he could still play. As a matter of fact he was bustin' the blazers ass in the preseason in 1992. Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjNk6tdwC8&list=UUjiANjWPo0ra99wB-DMV_4g&index=109&feature=plcp

Clyde comes across as a hater. And I like clyde as a player, but those comments are just out of bounds. I'm shocked he would even say something that stupid.

sick_brah07
06-26-2012, 09:20 PM
magic was very vocal on the court, cylde probably felt like magic telling him what to do and trying to take control on the court was an insult .... you have to remember cylde was pretty much "the man" his whole career that was probably the one instance in his life that he had to take a back seat

still doesnt excuse what he said though, very stupid thing to throw out to the media

WillyJakk
06-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Manu > Drexler.

Now do y'all believe me?

Dude won 1 RING riding the coattails of Hakeem Olajuwon and that's it.

Barkley told the truth when he came to Houston when he said "Guys are complacent cause they've already got a ring." when he was out there bustin' his declining ass still tryna win.

I'll go to my grave thinking he was referencing Drexler.

Btw, Clyde always came across as a fake ass ni99a when they do those roundtable interviews.

ImmortalNemesis
06-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Is there a video for this?

I don't remember where I read it/watch it, but I think it was Magic Johnson who said he (Magic) told Jordan to ease up on the shit talking. Jordan talked a lot of shit to Clyde because he'd beaten him in the finals that year.

Anyway, regardless of context, Drexler shouldn't have said that.

bwink23
06-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Is there a video for this?

I don't remember where I read it/watch it, but I think it was Magic Johnson who said he (Magic) told Jordan to ease up on the shit talking. Jordan talked a lot of shit to Clyde because he'd beaten him in the finals that year.

Anyway, regardless of context, Drexler shouldn't have said that.

Actually, i believe it was someone (don't know who) told Jordan to ease up on Clyde cuz he was shattering his confidence from getting raped in practices mentally and physically by Jordan.

L.Kizzle
06-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Manu > Drexler.

Now do y'all believe me?

Barkley told the truth when he came to Houston when he said "Guys are complacent cause they've already got a ring." when he was out there bustin' his declining ass still tryna win.

Btw, Clyde always came across as a fake ass ni99a when they do those roundtable interviews.
No, a comment doesn't make Manu better than Drexler.
Barkley was the one coming into camp 25+ lbs over weight.

ProfessorMurder
06-26-2012, 09:40 PM
:oldlol: He's kind of right though.

jstern
06-26-2012, 09:56 PM
I would have to hear the audio.

Da_Realist
06-26-2012, 10:11 PM
At least read the book before judging. Clyde doesn't seem like a bad guy. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Those guys operated on a different playing field than the rest of us. Their world has different rules than what we consider normal. Similar to how some of your church members would be surprised at how you act with your boys. The nicest usher in church smokes weed and curses. The angel in the choir f*cks around.

The rules are different. A guy despised by the world could be the most respected figure in that world. And vice versa.

The Magic that he saw behind closed doors may be different than the Magic we see. Or maybe not...but that's why it's important to read the book before reacting to some leaked snippet. Clyde may have said 1000 positive things about Magic in the book...or he may have given more context as to why he felt Magic was out of line.

Clyde has been a media member for a long time now after a storied career being chased by them. He knew what he was saying when he went after Magic. I'd like to know more context.

SpecialQue
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
At least read the book before judging. Clyde doesn't seem like a bad guy. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Those guys operated on a different playing field than the rest of us. Their world has different rules than what we consider normal. Similar to how some of your church members would be surprised at how you act with your boys. The nicest usher in church smokes weed and curses. The angel in the choir f*cks around.

The rules are different. A guy despised by the world could be the most respected figure in that world. And vice versa.

The Magic that he saw behind closed doors may be different than the Magic we see. Or maybe not...but that's why it's important to read the book before reacting to some leaked snippet. Clyde may have said 1000 positive things about Magic in the book...or he may have given more context as to why he felt Magic was out of line.

Clyde has been a media member for a long time now after a storied career being chased by them. He knew what he was saying when he went after Magic. I'd like to know more context.

Please tell me what kind of context makes this come off as anything other than douchey:

"If we all knew Magic was going to live this long, I would've gotten the MVP of that game, and Magic probably wouldn't have made the Olympic team."

Also, does he think that broke-back Bird didn't deserve to be on the team as well?

Da_Realist
06-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Please tell me what kind of context makes this come off as anything other than douchey:

Also, does he think that broke-back Bird didn't deserve to be on the team as well?

Yeah...I didn't say it wasn't. I'm interesting in knowing why he said it first. There may be a bigger narrative. Maybe he was lashing out for some other reason.

L.Kizzle
06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah...I didn't say it wasn't. I'm interesting in knowing why he said it first. There may be a bigger narrative. Maybe he was lashing out for some other reason.
Doesn't even sound like he's lashing out.

Not like he said he wished death on Magic or anything.

He said he though he was gonna die from Aids and a lot of players were felling sorry for him and he was a shell of his former self.

Odinn
06-26-2012, 10:31 PM
If you have watched a few Rockets game from local broadcaster, you know how he can make sh!tty comments.

NugzHeat3
06-26-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm not buy that. Clyde said magic "couldn't play by this time". And he was on the down side of his career. How is it that magic couldn't play when he was just bustin' your teams ass just one year earlier? His career was cut short, but he could still play. As a matter of fact he was bustin' the blazers ass in the preseason in 1992. Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjNk6tdwC8&list=UUjiANjWPo0ra99wB-DMV_4g&index=109&feature=plcp

Clyde comes across as a hater. And I like clyde as a player, but those comments are just out of bounds. I'm shocked he would even say something that stupid.
This. Clyde comes off as a bitter ass and you don't even need to read between the lines to figure that out. It's clear as day although I'm just basing this on that excerpt because it could be taken out of context. It doesn't have much to do with Magic's disease, the health issues and the possible repercussions of playing alongside him.

That entire passage screams Clyde being bitter about not having the spotlight on him. Who can blame him though? Drexler was probably thinking this is finally going to be his year with Magic retiring and Portland having no thorns in their side but that damn Magic is still there getting all the publicity, being named to the Olympic roster before he was, getting the All-Star MVP ect.

The funny thing about it is Magic could still go too. Look at the video Replay32 posted and his play throughout the 1992-93 pre-season. Look at his play throughout the Olympics. I'm not too familiar with Magic's career but I've seen nearly all the Laker games from the 1991 playoffs and I didn't notice a great deal of difference largely because obviously his role in the Olympics didn't require him to do as much but he was still great at delivering the ball, making creative and innovative plays, running the break, finishing ect. You don't suddenly lose all that ability just like that.

Manu > Drexler.

Now do y'all believe me?

No, Manu isn't as good as Drexler but I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley was aiming those comments at him. During the first 5 games of that series vs Utah, Drexler averaged 14.8 ppg on 38.6 % shooting. He had a great elimination game scoring 30+ but blew it with a dumb play towards the end shooting the ball too early.

There's another gem for Drexler during those playoffs unless the writer of this article isn't using the quote in context.

"It," Drexler said of the championship ring he won with the Rockets in 1995, "will have to do." http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19970515&slug=2539226

Asinine statement that doesn't show a winner's mentality implying as if he'd be satisfied if he doesn't win another one.

As for Drexler being a fake personality you can take Jake O'Donnell's word on it. He's infamous for ejecting Drexler out of a playoff game (game 1 vs PHX 1995 playoffs) for no particular reason except for pure bias and dislike of the guy (didn't even shake hands before the tip off). I don't know if it's on youtube or not but it's a laughable ejection. That was the last game he ever officiated. He stated those two had a history dating back to his Portland years and that Drexler along with the entire Portland team were a very whiny bench, threw out cheap shots all the time and tried imposing their will on the refs. He definitely had a vendetta against him.

Asukal
06-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Regardless of the context, Clyde is just classless here. Some things are better left unsaid Clyde. What a salty dude... :facepalm

Funnyfuka
06-26-2012, 11:03 PM

alot of ppl who had aids with they could afford 10 million dollar complete blood transfusions.
boom.

Also its interesting to hear something different than the usual ass kissing decades later. Truth must lie in between.

WillyJakk
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
No, Manu isn't as good as Drexler but I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley was aiming those comments at him. During the first 5 games of that series vs Utah, Drexler averaged 14.8 ppg on 38.6 % shooting. He had a great elimination game scoring 30+ but blew it with a dumb play towards the end shooting the ball too early.

There's another gem for Drexler during those playoffs unless the writer of this article isn't using the quote in context.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19970515&slug=2539226

Asinine statement that doesn't show a winner's mentality implying as if he'd be satisfied if he doesn't win another one.

As for Drexler being a fake personality you can take Jake O'Donnell's word on it. He's infamous for ejecting Drexler out of a playoff game (game 1 vs PHX 1995 playoffs) for no particular reason except for pure bias and dislike of the guy (didn't even shake hands before the tip off). I don't know if it's on youtube or not but it's a laughable ejection. That was the last game he ever officiated. He stated those two had a history dating back to his Portland years and that Drexler along with the entire Portland team were a very whiny bench, threw out cheap shots all the time and tried imposing their will on the refs. He definitely had a vendetta against him.

Well that's just my personal perception of Manu being > Drexler but really,

THANKS for posting those stats, etc. cause I couldn't quite remember when and why Barkley had said that but it's good to see I'm not the only one who actually remembered him saying that and also remembering it in the context I think Barkley meant it in and who he was talking about.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane dude and yes, 15+ yrs later I still think he was talking about Drexler.

I would love someone to ask him, via tweet or interview to see Charles address this and you know he'd tell the freaking truth, especially since the lockerroom "code" has long expired on that and I'm sure he'd say if that's how he felt about the guy THEN but maybe not now.

Kobe 4 The Win
06-26-2012, 11:28 PM

I remember that like it was yesterday. Everyone was freaking out. One of my favorite basketball memories.

NugzHeat3
06-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Well that's just my personal perception of Manu being > Drexler but really,

THANKS for posting those stats, etc. cause I couldn't quite remember when and why Barkley had said that but it's good to see I'm not the only one who actually remembered him saying that and also remembering it in the context I think Barkley meant it in and who he was talking about.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane dude and yes, 15+ yrs later I still think he was talking about Drexler.

I would love someone to ask him, via tweet or interview to see Charles address this and you know he'd tell the freaking truth, especially since the lockerroom "code" has long expired on that and I'm sure he'd say if that's how he felt about the guy THEN but maybe not now.
Yeah.

He didn't play well vs Utah and that quote about him being satisfied with one ring is pretty telling. Imagine somebody like James saying, "well, that one ring I won this year will do" or Jordan saying that about his 1991 ring. They'd be crucified. It doesn't show any leadership, hunger, desire to win more on Drexler's behalf or really set much of an example for the rest of the team and I wouldn't be surprised if those Barkley comments are related.

SpecialQue
06-26-2012, 11:46 PM

You are truly a fvcking idiot. Did Steve Jobs' BILLIONS of dollars keep his ass alive? And there are a shitload of HIV positive people, diagnosed years ago, that are still alive today due to the drug mix that people like Magic are taking. When was the last time you even heard of a famous person with HIV dying?

Da_Realist
06-27-2012, 01:13 AM
That was a great read. Thanks, it would be definitely interesting to see if there's some new info revealed.

Are you buying the book BTW? I heard he does a play by play about the legendary scrimmage too.

Definitely. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Da_Realist
06-27-2012, 01:33 AM
That was a great read. Thanks, it would be definitely interesting to see if there's some new info revealed.

Are you buying the book BTW? I heard he does a play by play about the legendary scrimmage too.

Read through the interview pieces that didn't make the book... Real interesting stuff here

http://www.jackmccallum.net/blog/

Da_Realist
06-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Here's some context to the Drexler comments

BEHIND THE INTERVIEWS: THE GLIDE (http://www.jackmccallum.net/2012/06/27/behind-the-interviews-the-glide/#.T-qbL5HAFTY)

LakersReign
06-27-2012, 01:39 AM

Everybody who was watching the NBA back then, pretty much knew Magic was "forcibly retired." Due to the fact that guys were afraid of contracting HIV from him on court. Much wasn't known about the virus back then like today, which only added to the hysteria about it. Clyde's comments are confirming that to be true now. Regardless, those are things that should never be repeated to anybody, least of all the media. Could still be some professional jealousy there, but that's still crossing the line.

L.Kizzle
06-27-2012, 01:46 AM
This part wasn't posted yet ... of course not.

Drexler, one of the few players to support Johnson after an incident in which was bleeding on the court after his AIDs diagnosis, "I have no problem playing against him" wasn't as charitable in the summer of 1992.

DCL
06-27-2012, 02:57 AM
still mad after 20 years... that's mad.

Horatio33
06-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Clyde is mad at Magic shouting all the time. Magic was a leader, Clyde wasn't a leader. Clyde couldn't lead the stacked Blazers to a title. The unclutch, looking down while dribbling the ball motherfukker.

GOBB
06-27-2012, 06:45 AM
So people here dont care to hear what former players were thinking 20yrs ago? I dont know about you dudes but I prefer to hear how players felt about each other and their mindset at the time raw and uncut. You guys prefer it sugar coated. Why? Who knows. Maybe Magic smile was so hypnotizing that anything said about him has you raging :rant

Clyde comments were based on how he felt back then. Whats wrong with that? Just like other candid stuff said during the Magic documentary espn did. Just like I would like to hear players actual thoughts on Isiah Thomas. Why would I buy and read a book full of fake commentary?

Punpun
06-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Noob continuing to show his lack of knowledge. After 48.778 posts, I'd hope it'd be different. But hey, seems not.

:yaohappy:

TheBigVeto
06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Great job Clyde. Telling it like it is. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Respect to you. :bowdown:

Mach_3
06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
So people here dont care to hear what former players were thinking 20yrs ago? I dont know about you dudes but I prefer to hear how players felt about each other and their mindset at the time raw and uncut. You guys prefer it sugar coated. Why? Who knows. Maybe Magic smile was so hypnotizing that anything said about him has you raging :rant

Clyde comments were based on how he felt back then. Whats wrong with that? Just like other candid stuff said during the Magic documentary espn did. Just like I would like to hear players actual thoughts on Isiah Thomas. Why would I buy and read a book full of fake commentary?

Lol this is America (im assuming) homey everything has to be sugar coated, yea there is a lot of butthurt in this topic right now.

Duderonomy
06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I respect Clyde he was the lebron of the 90's. But these remarks make him seem bitter after all these years.

Da_Realist
06-27-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when an athlete says something impolitic. They use slights and insults as fuel. The traits that make them seem like an ass in regular society helped them become great in their world. It's surprising that everyone wants them to be as humble as grandma next door when they retire. Not everyone is John Stockton. All these guys have huge egos. Drexler resented having to spend the year auditioning for a spot on the team when he felt like he deserved it. Mabe he was tired of being overlooked.

Even grandma is faking. Those old bats are a pain in the ass behind closed doors.

get these NETS
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
only way this makes sense is if drex thinks nba rigged or refs gave lakers the series.

magic dragged a team without cap or worthy to the finals over the blazers

drex then was an un-guardable player so what were his stats like? did he go down swinging or just vanished in the clutch?

neither the lakers nor the pistons team that portland lost to in finals..had ANYBODY that could guard prime drexler effectively...and that includes young dennis rodman

so unless he went off and lost anyway, he's full of shit..

in terms of magic not being able to guard anybody? THAT part is true..he routinely got his ass BUSTED in playoffs by the upcoming elite 1s, and 2s..but magic was never a defensive stopper...

Da_Realist
06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't think it had as much to do with Magic as it does Clyde, himself. The excerpt posted earlier said he also talked about other players in the same vein. I think he was (is still) frustrated at being the last guy chosen when he felt he deserved better. Obviously, Magic was the wrong target cause he absolutely deserved to be on the team.

get these NETS
06-27-2012, 01:58 PM
^

When Drexler had his chances to become a higher profile player.....allstar game dunk contests....or nba finals... he didn't quite get it done

in fact....before the recent trend of nba players missing dunks ( A LOT) in contests....only person who I can really remember missing key dunks in contests was Drexler..

and again...in both Finals he appeared in, he was either the best or second best on the court...and he didn't get it done or kick it into superstar gear when he needed to..

Isiah Thomas and Jordan stepped up...CD didn't....unless I have a bad memory and he did in fact go down swinging...

CD had the misfortune of not playing on the East coast (east coast media bias)..and not playing for a higher profile franchise...

Magic had nothing to do with ANY of that...

NugzHeat3
06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Here's some context to the Drexler comments

BEHIND THE INTERVIEWS: THE GLIDE (http://www.jackmccallum.net/2012/06/27/behind-the-interviews-the-glide/#.T-qbL5HAFTY)
Damn, just as I expected. There's definitely bitterness there because I'm sure he feels odd and stands out in a bad way for being the last player they selected but you can't really hate on that because it's usually a pride thing with players at this level and at least, he had the courtesy of welcoming Magic back to the league unlike K. Malone who publicly made it clear he didn't want to play against him. I don't understand his obsession with the All-Star MVP though. It's a meaningless award.

In the Karl Malone behind the scenes interview, I was pretty surprised when he said the most fun he ever had in the NBA was his time in LA. Also didn't know Isiah was nearly called up when Stockton went down with the leg injury.

I can imagine that chapter where McCallum and Pippen talk about comparing his defense to Jordan's would be a great read.

only way this makes sense is if drex thinks nba rigged or refs gave lakers the series.

magic dragged a team without cap or worthy to the finals over the blazers

drex then was an un-guardable player so what were his stats like? did he go down swinging or just vanished in the clutch?

neither the lakers nor the pistons team that portland lost to in finals..had ANYBODY that could guard prime drexler effectively...and that includes young dennis rodman

so unless he went off and lost anyway, he's full of shit..

in terms of magic not being able to guard anybody? THAT part is true..he routinely got his ass BUSTED in playoffs by the upcoming elite 1s, and 2s..but magic was never a defensive stopper...
Worthy was still on that team and he actually guarded Drexler for the majority of the series and did a great job limiting him. I've never really felt Drexler was unguardable in a half-court set. There are some strong points like his finishing ability, great first step, nice post-up game, creativity around the rim but his game has quite a few limitations too. He's pretty predictable because of his inability to effectively go left, his mid range game was nothing special and he rushed shots quite a bit too and he didn't take advantage of his size in the post as much as he should've, especially in the Portland years.

Magic was amazing in that series especially because of the way they were able to control the tempo and make it a half-court game where Lakers could excel because of their various post-up threats and Blazers weren't as effective. He also did a great job reading the defense because Portland switched up between single coverage and double teams quite a bit and he made the right decisions for the most part.

Also, another thing that just came to my mind is that Drexler primarily guarded Magic in that series and Magic took it to him quite a bit in the post so saying Magic couldn't go at this point is definitely BS on his behalf.

DirtySanchez
06-27-2012, 07:16 PM
F*ck that Magic is my man. Reason I started watching B-ball.
F*ck Clyde for life!!!

DirtySanchez
06-27-2012, 07:17 PM
magic was very vocal on the court, cylde probably felt like magic telling him what to do and trying to take control on the court was an insult .... you have to remember cylde was pretty much "the man" his whole career that was probably the one instance in his life that he had to take a back seat

still doesnt excuse what he said though, very stupid thing to throw out to the media

THIS!!!

L.Kizzle
06-28-2012, 12:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOe8RhsQ4ww

Da_Realist
06-28-2012, 12:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOe8RhsQ4ww

Isiah said the same thing about Magic detailing his problems in his book written by Jackie McCallum. I hope this book doesn't start a shit storm.

get these NETS
06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Worthy was still on that team and he actually guarded Drexler for the majority of the series and did a great job limiting him. I've never really felt Drexler was unguardable in a half-court set. There are some strong points like his finishing ability, great first step, nice post-up game, creativity around the rim but his game has quite a few limitations too. He's pretty predictable because of his inability to effectively go left, his mid range game was nothing special and he rushed shots quite a bit too and he didn't take advantage of his size in the post as much as he should've, especially in the Portland years.

Magic was amazing in that series especially because of the way they were able to control the tempo and make it a half-court game where Lakers could excel because of their various post-up threats and Blazers weren't as effective. He also did a great job reading the defense because Portland switched up between single coverage and double teams quite a bit and he made the right decisions for the most part.

Also, another thing that just came to my mind is that Drexler primarily guarded Magic in that series and Magic took it to him quite a bit in the post so saying Magic couldn't go at this point is definitely BS on his behalf.

thanks for straightening out the story.

CD was one of the GREAT athletes in the history of the game...his speed, strength, agility made him a difficult if not impossible cover.

think biggest problem for portland and drex is that they had a decent..average pg...not a great playmaker or decision maker who delivered ball to players in sweet spot