PDA

View Full Version : pistons getting drumond!

boozehound
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Sure, he may not work out, but I am excited to see how he will develop.

AngelEyes
06-28-2012, 08:14 PM

meh

miles berg
06-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Doubt they draft him.

CelticBaller
06-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Monroe/Drummond frontcourt? :eek:

boozehound
06-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Doubt they draft him.
who else are they gonna take? henson? dude is no KG and will not put on much weight. Im not really a fan of any of our options, but Ill take the flier on drummond. I also like leonard. anything to move monroe back over to the 4.

AngelEyes
06-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Doubt they draft him.

They're going to take him.

outbreak
06-28-2012, 08:19 PM
monroe/drummond will be an awesome combo

bdreason
06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Steal of the draft. He will be the 2nd best player in this draft.

miles berg
06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm shocked at this one.

Complete non fit there.

alenleomessi
06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
The next Dwight Howard

CelticBaller
06-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm shocked at this one.

Complete non fit there.
how? drummond is an underrated post defender and the pistons can finally move monroe at 4

Rake2204
I'm shocked at this one.

Complete non fit there.
Hmm, I thought he'd actually be a great fit. It'll be nice to slide Greg Monroe down to the four and free him up from trying to defend opposing bigs all by himself with his 7'' vertical.

boozehound
I'm shocked at this one.

Complete non fit there.
hows that? for the past two years they have been talking about trying to move monroe to the 4. Hes a very quick big with an incredible body and a lot of potential. As a pistons fan, I couldnt be happier. much better than henson, leonard or zeller, the only other options (jones I guess).

JohnnySic
06-28-2012, 08:33 PM
8 teams are gonna be :coleman: in a few years....

WBynumToTheHole
06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
drummond will need to work hard to learn skills. right now he is living off of athleticism.

whether that happens or not, he serves as a rim protector. as he is he seems like a deandre jordan type player with a dwight howard body.

will be an interesting combo with monroe. greg is going to have different kind of matchups defensively at the 4. the fact that he steals the ball a lot may help him there, but its going to be an adjustment.
offensively, now he will have the opportunity to take advantage of his size and strength a little more.

bdreason
06-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Do not judge this guy off his last season at UCONN. He has a skillset far more advanced than people are giving him credit for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXB6vc5Z_A4&feature=relmfu

Rake2204
06-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Do not judge this guy off his last season at UCONN. He has a skillset far more advanced than people are giving him credit for.

He'll certainly complement Greg Monroe's stunning lack of vertical athleticism quite well. That mix is pretty nuts, even considering it's coming against inferior competition.

Cowboy Thunder
06-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I think this kid will be better than De'Andre Jordan

Sarcastic
06-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Steal of the draft. He will be the best player in this draft.

Fixed.

JustinJDW
06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Total steal at #9. Him and Monroe could be Twin Towers 2.0.

http://spursbrasil.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/tddrob.jpg

Rake2204
06-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Total steal at #9. Him and Monroe could be Twin Towers 2.0.

http://spursbrasil.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/tddrob.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NjbiY6rtY8E/Tjvr_tEiapI/AAAAAAAAAFY/llOJVB4JBsA/s1600/HAKEEM2_627a.jpg

WBynumToTheHole
06-28-2012, 09:24 PM
im gunna be a fan. let the growth come as it may.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuXR7fFCbU4 heres another mix

El Kabong
06-28-2012, 09:26 PM
4.0. Kanter and Favors got them beat by a year.

JustinJDW
06-28-2012, 09:26 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NjbiY6rtY8E/Tjvr_tEiapI/AAAAAAAAAFY/llOJVB4JBsA/s1600/HAKEEM2_627a.jpgAh of course. How could forget.

I am ashamed. :(

albatrosek
06-28-2012, 09:27 PM
oh they seem to be so powerful :applause:

CelticBaller
5.0 Robinson and Cousins beat them by 4 picks :lol

WBynumToTheHole
plus we gotta remember his age. skipped a year of high school.

Sarcastic
06-28-2012, 09:31 PM
plus we gotta remember his age. skipped a year of high school.

Which is why he should haven't fallen so low, but of course the NBA is littered with idiots running these teams.

BTW, he's a really good kid. He gave up his scholarship because when he joined UConn he had originally taken it away from someone else, so he decided to take out a loan and play as a walk on.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-12-20/sports/hc-andre-drummond-gives-up-scholarship-playing-at-uconn-as-a-walkon-20111220_1_andre-drummond-scholarship-financial-aid

hawkfan
06-28-2012, 09:37 PM

He's young, give him time.

Monroe and Drummond will be a good duo down line defensively for the Pistons.

WBynumToTheHole
06-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Which is why he should haven't fallen so low, but of course the NBA is littered with idiots running these teams.

BTW, he's a really good kid. He gave up his scholarship because when he joined UConn he had originally taken it away from someone else, so he decided to take out a loan and play as a walk on.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-12-20/sports/hc-andre-drummond-gives-up-scholarship-playing-at-uconn-as-a-walkon-20111220_1_andre-drummond-scholarship-financial-aid

nice.

9th wonder - spesh
is a good track for about now.

also there were teams with needs for wings in a draft that had a good amount of bigs near the top of the board.

kidachi
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM

Drummond's fine.. but I was really hoping Barnes would fall to them..

EricGordon23
06-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Woot woot im going N.O and detroit next year unless N.O doesnt match eric gordon

LockoutOver11
06-28-2012, 11:47 PM
yayyy... i want ben gordon back tho. y couldn't we trde charlie v instead!!!

embersyc
06-29-2012, 07:10 AM
So does Drummond start from day one? Or will Maxiell keep the spot until Drummond "earns" it.

alenleomessi
06-29-2012, 07:27 AM
So does Drummond start from day one? Or will Maxiell keep the spot until Drummond "earns" it.
He should start from day one and develop alongside Monroe
Its not like they are gonna make the playoffs anyway

Fiasco

He is playing against high school kids who aren't nearly as physically mature as himself. If his skillset was as developed as you let on, he wouldn't have been the 4th scoring option on his team last year.

Drummond is just another athletic big with zero fundamentals. He's riding the "Could he be the next Dwight Howard?" wave. Simple as that. Right now people are reading way too much into his potential and too little in the likelihood he busts.

rufuspaul
He's a project for sure but one that could have a huge upside.

TheFan
06-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Hope they don't do some lame shit like splitting minutes kill CV and trade Maxiell to get those boys minutes.

JohnnySic
06-29-2012, 08:02 AM
The Pistons have built an excellent young core with Stuckey, Monroe, Knight, Jerebko, and now Drummond.

spiegel
06-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Monroe is more of a PF type player so thy shoul be able to co-exsist.

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 08:14 AM
He should start from day one and develop alongside Monroe
Its not like they are gonna make the playoffs anyway
I'm not sure I'd so readily count them out. My motto on the current Pistons since the end of the season has been, "After a 4-20 start, they finished 21-21." They played .500 ball once the team began to gel. From there, we'd have to account for the (hopefully) continued improvement of our youngsters, namely Brandon Knight, Greg Monroe, and Jonas Jerebko, and perhaps some sort of new presence from the rookie big man who apparently is still close to being a high schooler.

embersyc
06-29-2012, 08:22 AM
I think the potential is definitely there for Pistons to make the playoffs. The were horrible to start last season, but had once they started to gel they had some nice stretches in there where they looked like a respectable team. The guard situation is finally settled, Knight and Stuckey are the guys and there will be no attitudes about it. I think that will make this the most cohesive Piston's season since Billups got shipped out.

PK3434
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
He is playing against high school kids who aren't nearly as physically mature as himself. If his skillset was as developed as you let on, he wouldn't have been the 4th scoring option on his team last year.

Drummond is just another athletic big with zero fundamentals. He's riding the "Could he be the next Dwight Howard?" wave. Simple as that. Right now people are reading way too much into his potential and too little in the likelihood he busts.

Not really. Drummond was the most criticized and scrutinized player leading up to the draft last night..Its actually crazy that he slipped to the 9th pick.
He is already better than DeAndre Jordan and there is no telling how much better he can get if he actually learns how to play basketball. I don't think he is as much of a risk as has been advertised. Sure, watching every UConn game this year, i have a lot of concerns (horrible free throw shooting, out of position when he is supposed to help on d, low and slow release on his jumpshot, etc) but the notion that he is a risk to be out of the league in a few years is simply not true. Great pick by Detroit.

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 10:33 AM
A small part of me is just excited about the premise of gaining a pretty athletic guy in Detroit. We could use some more highlights in order to build a little bit of excitement and maybe draw some more folks back out to the arena. As well as Stuckey, Monroe, and Knight played last year, they weren't always conducive to making the highlight reels. I mean, the 3rd Piston result for Brandon Knight on YouTube is a clip of him knocking over a tub of Gatorade:
http://gifs.gifbin.com/032012/1332872492_brandon_knight_gatorade_bath.gif

On the flip side, it also could be argued that the Pistons best highlight of the season was Greg Monroe's steal at the rookie game (4th result on Greg Monroe YouTube search and is still actually kind of awesome): http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/968921/walldunk.gif

So yeah, I'm hoping Drummond's skill comes around and he's an asset in that regard, but I'm also hoping for some increased excitement as he grows.

DeuceWallaces
06-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Oh god I was so pumped. Leading up to the draft I was terrified and completely bummed at the prospects of Leonard or Henson that I turned it after I bled some blue with the first two picks. I turn it back twenty minutes later and I see Drummond crying and NO On The Clock rolling on the ticker. I leaped up from the couch and yelped for joy.

alenleomessi
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure I'd so readily count them out. My motto on the current Pistons since the end of the season has been, "After a 4-20 start, they finished 21-21." They played .500 ball once the team began to gel. From there, we'd have to account for the (hopefully) continued improvement of our youngsters, namely Brandon Knight, Greg Monroe, and Jonas Jerebko, and perhaps some sort of new presence from the rookie big man who apparently is still close to being a high schooler.
It would be better for them to get another high pick than contend for a playoff spot and still not make it. There will be some improved teams in the east this year. I think one of Wizards or Bucks definitely makes it. Maybe both

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
It would be better for them to get another high pick than contend for a playoff spot and still not make it. There will be some improved teams in the east this year. I think one of Wizards or Bucks definitely makes it. Maybe both
I disagree. The Pistons finished '12 on a positive enough note that playing poorly in '13 to the point of warranting a high draft pick would be a killer to both team and fan morale. That doesn't mean making the playoffs is an expectation, I just think it'd do a lot more for the organization to see a ray of light at this point rather than languishing and seemingly going backward from the direction they were headed for the last 2/3's of the '12 season.

kumquat
06-29-2012, 11:51 AM
I like Lacobs quote on him...regarding other GM's thoughts on him.

[quote][B]"I

WhySoInsecure?
06-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Guys like Drummond just don't slip that far if they have an ounce of BBIQ. There are physical specimens in each draft that match that description that don't make it past their first contract.

The guy is 18 years old, get him a legit coach and he'll be ok

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 12:16 PM
The guy is 18 years old, get him a legit coach and he'll be ok
I hope so, but I know it's not a guarantee. I'm just glad social media is advanced enough now that we have an ability to document nearly every single person who backed and supported Joe Dumars' selection of Drummond, thus perhaps limiting the amount of folks who'll later act as if they knew Dumars made a horrible pick (if Drummond doesn't turn out).

Then again, I'm sure people will not change.

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Guys like Drummond just don't slip that far if they have an ounce of BBIQ. There are physical specimens in each draft that match that description that don't make it past their first contract.

NBA GMs have a herd mentality besides a select few.

RRR3
06-29-2012, 12:22 PM
29% from the FT line :biggums:

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
29% from the FT line :biggums:

broken nose(had to wear mask( and spent the season changing his form on his jumpshot for the future. I expect that it will improve dramatically.

henry1jg
07-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I cant lie, when we came up at 1.09 & Drummond was still there, I was screaming at the TV to take him! I LOVE this pick.

LT Ice Cream
07-08-2012, 02:31 AM
Damn, he looked like a 6'10 point guard in that mixtape . . .

boozehound
07-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Oh god I was so pumped. Leading up to the draft I was terrified and completely bummed at the prospects of Leonard or Henson that I turned it after I bled some blue with the first two picks. I turn it back twenty minutes later and I see Drummond crying and NO On The Clock rolling on the ticker. I leaped up from the couch and yelped for joy.
yeah, Im with you on this. Really did not want henson or leonard (though I preferred leonard). So glad he slipped to us, even if he doesnt pan out.

kNicKz
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Nr3olYhHK7U/T6BO_FJE4sI/AAAAAAAAAyw/llSvKaQnW2s/s1600/ist2_5342490-glass-is-half-full.jpg