PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the And1 Era

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
I had not realized how quickly this brand had dropped off until I heard their name mentioned in another thread here. Is there now a defined "And1 Era" of general basketball history? What years do you believe it spanned?

Unfortunately, I must admit my And1 days began way back around 1994, when Eastbay used to plug an endless stream of And1 catch phrase t-shirts in every one of their catalogs. Being in 4th or 5th grade at the time, I thought they were neat. So I developed a small collection of shirts like this:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kwo3ptzqyr1qzgajw.png

On my first day of 6th grade, I beat an overweight (though contentious) classmate in a game of 1-on-1. After game point, I broke into a strut and said something like, "Read the shirt, man. Read the shirt." The back of my And1 tee read: "I'm sorry, I thought you could play."

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/f/f0/Facepalm.gif

Any thoughts on And1's demise or their once somewhat pretty good empire?

gasolina
06-29-2012, 09:05 AM
And1 reminded me of stephon marbury. They had an awesome ad that on steph being in the playoffs. It was a big thing that steph was the only top rookie playing in the postseason.

Of course, they were the edgy brand then. Cant remember who else they endorsed. I think what killed the smaller brands was nike and adi buying converse and reebok. Converted them to low-end shoes. Sucks to have the big players controlling the niche market too.

Was monta ellis their last athlete?

franchise#3
06-29-2012, 09:12 AM
I still have some And1 sneakers somewhere.

QuebecBaller
06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I still have some And1 sneakers somewhere.

I still wear mine

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
And1 reminded me of stephon marbury. They had an awesome ad that on steph being in the playoffs. It was a big thing that steph was the only top rookie playing in the postseason.

Of course, they were the edgy brand then. Cant remember who else they endorsed. I think what killed the smaller brands was nike and adi buying converse and reebok. Converted them to low-end shoes. Sucks to have the big players controlling the niche market too.

Yup, I remember when Marbury came aboard. I was trying to be a trendsetter back then and bought what I believe was one of the first pairs of And1 shoes (in 1997). The top half was white, the bottom black. In retrospect, they kind of looked like extra broke versions of the Jordan XII. Marbury wore them at one point or another but I feel like he had a signature shoe with And 1, and the pair I had wasn't them.

I think one of the real breakthroughs (prior to the mixtape revolution) came when Latrell Sprewell jumped on board. Anyone recall the American Dream ad campaign? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6DYYh5f2sg

neilio23
06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
I watch And1 Mixtape Vol 1 at least once a month. Awesome music, and fun to watch Skip. The good ol' days...

DaHeezy
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Don't know why people hate on it so much. It's a novelty and it's still going on today. Take it for what it is: entertainment

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
I watch And1 Mixtape Vol 1 at least once a month. Awesome music, and fun to watch Skip. The good ol' days...
That had to be one of the last bastions of exclusivity, as far as mythical video footage goes. I remember short, cryptic commercials popping up here and there, showing a glimpse of some of the nastiest basketball plays I'd ever seen (occurring on outdoor courts via home video). Then I remember hearing the full mixtape was given to only those who bought a pair of And 1's from Foot Locker or something. Some people were lucky enough to have seen it, most not. For someone who did not grow up in a basketball mecca like New York, seeing that streetball footage was a revelation at the time. It was borderline sensory overload in terms of what I thought was possible on a basketball court and what I'd never even imagined.

Of course now, that mixtape would have been leaked to YouTube even prior to the commercial being aired.

chosen_one6
06-29-2012, 12:04 PM
I remember buying a pair of $120 Kevin Garnett And 1 shoes...felt like boats on my feet though.

stax
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Don't know why people hate on it so much. It's a novelty and it's still going on today. Take it for what it is: entertainment

Because courts were suddenly full of corny douchebags who thought it was the greatest thing ever to bounce the ball off the defenders head (then proceed to throw an obligatory brick from 25 feet) :lol

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Because courts were suddenly full of corny douchebags who thought it was the greatest thing ever to bounce the ball off the defenders head (then proceed to throw an obligatory brick from 25 feet) :lol
Between 1999 and 2004, I guarantee there was a dramatic 30,000% increase in streetball incidents related to or directly involving players attempting to bounce the ball off an opponent's face only to accidentally throw it three times too hard and less off the head and more off the nose, thus resulting in frequent stoppages of play featuring this exchange:

"Dude, what the hell!?"
"Dude, I'm totally sorry. That's not what I was trying to. . ."
"Dude, what were you. . ."
"Dude chill I'm sorry."

DaHeezy
06-29-2012, 12:22 PM

And they lost, so what's the big deal. It's not like everygame some And1 wannabe is pulling those stunts.
It's harmless fun. If you're losing to these guys, maybe you Should leave the court

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
And they lost, so what's the big deal. It's not like everygame some And1 wannabe is pulling those stunts.
It's harmless fun. If you're losing to these guys, maybe you Should leave the court
Personally, my biggest issue was playing on the same team as those guys, not against them. There's one fellow in particular I remember. He lived that And1 life to the fullest. Completely upper-middle-class, non-urban with no style and limited basketball skill who dreamed he was precisely not what he was. He'd regularly hold 35-second stationary crossover clinics ending with him being forced to pick up his dribble and looking to pass so he could get the ball right back and continue his mixtape exhibition.

We had methods of avoidance. We wouldn't let him bring the ball up the court. We'd try to avoid swinging the ball his way in the course of the offense. But the most frustrating thing I remember about his game were those moments where he'd stumble upon a defensive rebound and he'd eye me streaking into the open floor. In every other walk of life, it'd have been a chest pass and breakaway dunk.

With this guy, we'd make eye contact and I'd already know what was going to happen next. He'd fake the chest pass then opt to cuff the ball and throw a one-handed, look-away, underhand float pass, like he was bowling but with the trajectory of a jump shot. That'd turn my rare chance to dunk into a impromptu game of "500". And if I was fortunate to come down with the rock, it was much too late to make a move to the hoop.

And obviously, true to his kind, he couldn't take any sort of criticism. If someone said anything, the entire game would devolve into some horrible back and forth where he'd then dominate the ball 3 times harder than he did before. You're right though, as horrible as he was to have as a teammate, he was a joy to play against.

DaHeezy
06-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Personally, my biggest issue was playing on the same team as those guys, not against them. There's one fellow in particular I remember. He lived that And1 life to the fullest. Completely upper-middle-class, non-urban with no style and limited basketball skill who dreamed he was precisely not what he was. He'd regularly hold 35-second stationary crossover clinics ending with him being forced to pick up his dribble and looking to pass so he could get the ball right back and continue his mixtape exhibition.

We had methods of avoidance. We wouldn't let him bring the ball up the court. We'd try to avoid swinging the ball his way in the course of the offense. But the most frustrating thing I remember about his game were those moments where he'd stumble upon a defensive rebound and he'd eye me streaking into the open floor. In every other walk of life, it'd have been a chest pass and breakaway dunk.

With this guy, we'd make eye contact and I'd already know what was going to happen next. He'd fake the chest pass then opt to cuff the ball and throw a one-handed, look-away, underhand float pass, like he was bowling but with the trajectory of a jump shot. That'd turn my rare chance to dunk into a impromptu game of "500". And if I was fortunate to come down with the rock, it was much too late to make a move to the hoop.

And obviously, true to his kind, he couldn't take any sort of criticism. If someone said anything, the entire game would devolve into some horrible back and forth where he'd then dominate the ball 3 times harder than he did before. You're right though, as horrible as he was to have as a teammate, he was a joy to play against.

You what I did when I played with them?
I yelled: "Quit showboating and pass the faulking ball!"

They cut that shyt out immediately.

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 01:02 PM
You what I did when I played with them?
I yelled: "Quit showboating and pass the faulking ball!"

They cut that shyt out immediately.
I
Sometimes that might work, but in this case it did not. As I alluded, direct criticism only made things worse. I'd say something like that, then he'd snip back and attempt to freeze me out while I attempted to freeze him out. Then if I made a mistake he'd let me hear about it. Then before you know it, the game has devolved into an unplayable mess. So then the next time, everyone tries to play it cool with that guy for the sake of the game. And eventually, it's just something folks learn to kind of live with to the best of their abilities.

Basically, I'm 6'3'' 170. Nothing I say is going to seriously intimidate a fellow adult on the basketball court. Further, my region was never one that believed in physical street justice, so we're usually left to attempt to solve matters in a civilized manner and often, it wouldn't work well. And1 guys would And1 through thick and thin. It was an uncontrollable tick. It was an addiction. We all had to work through it together.

neilio23
06-29-2012, 01:05 PM
It was borderline sensory overload in terms of what I thought was possible on a basketball court and what I'd never even imagined.

Well said. Obviously, it wasn't quality basketball, but it was still really enjoyable. In the 7th grade, I'd watch it daily, and then proceed to head to the courts to play b-ball. Regardless if it seemingly promoted the wrong aspects of the game, it was still the type of thing that motivated me (and I'm sure many other teens) to go to the courts and play ball.

This play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul-t-tAEvNs#t=1m17s)still blows my mind. I remember watching this clip over and over, and then practising reverse layups for hours at a time.

Maybe I'll watch it again now ha.

stax
06-29-2012, 01:10 PM

Haha I wasn't losing to them, I was losing the will to live watching their antics. :lol

I'm half kidding, I don't mean to sound too negative in the thread. Thinking back now, I did legitimately hate 'clownball' as I called it for a while, but f*** it live and let live, like you say it's harmless fun.

nightprowler10
06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I played with a coworker back in '04 who pulled that **** all the time 1-on-1, except he was really good. It was always fun watching him plow (no homo) our other coworker. The guy always had that "I'm good cuz I'm black" attitude and would always get pissed off when a Mexican guy beat him. :lol

neilio23
06-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Thinking back now, I did legitimately hate 'clownball' as I called it for a while, but f*** it live and let live, like you say it's harmless fun.

Looking back, I think we can say it's harmless fun.

But it certainly was annoying to see wannabe street-ballers dribble away entire possessions, proceed to play no defence, only to attempt some fancy trick on a 1 vs 5 fast-break. It's the type of thing that drove gym teachers mad!

alwaysunny
06-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Do any of you remember the Canadian ballers The Notic? Back when streetball was the shit I was much more into these guys. And 1 became too much of a fixed indoor entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSRjH1CY9Q

JaE_BLiZZy
06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
I watched an And1 game live at MSG, they lost to the NY streetballers. Every time Hotsauce got the ball, everyone stood on their feet and watched to see what moves he would pull off, Do they still play? They used to have the series on ESPN.

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 01:20 PM
This play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul-t-tAEvNs#t=1m17s)still blows my mind. I remember watching this clip over and over, and then practising reverse layups for hours at a time.

Maybe I'll watch it again now ha.
I knew exactly what clip that was going to be before I even watched. I loved that move too.

However, my watershed moment was a move that used to be on the commercials for HoopsTV.com (if basketball is your religion, HoopsTV.com is your church): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coa7E3LvHns#t=0m54s

I eventually ended up taping a special program off TNT called On Hallowed Ground and I'd just watch that clip over and over (and the Vince Carter alley-oop) until my friend stole the tape.

RaininTwos
06-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I honestly miss this era. They got people playing basketball again and all of them deserve to be put in the basketball hall of fame.

DaHeezy
06-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I honestly miss this era. They got people playing basketball again and all of them deserve to be put in the basketball hall of fame.

This is why I think Iverson should be put in the basketball HOF. I think AI had just as much, if not more street influence

SilkkTheShocker
06-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Latrell Sprewell used to rock some nice And 1 shoes on the Knicks. Than he switched to Dada. I don't think any NBA player has worn a pair of Dadas since like 2004 :oldlol: :oldlol: Up until a few seasons ago, Monta Ellis used to wear And 1. Now he just rocks Jordans.

neilio23
06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
This is why I think Iverson should be put in the basketball HOF. I think AI had just as much, if not more street influence

Ya AI had a ton of street ball influence. He was drafted in 96 and the And1 stuff blew up around 2000.

But, AI will def. make the HOF regardless.

AlphaWolf24
06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Sometimes that might work, but in this case it did not. As I alluded, direct criticism only made things worse. I'd say something like that, then he'd snip back and attempt to freeze me out while I attempted to freeze him out. Then if I made a mistake he'd let me hear about it. Then before you know it, the game has devolved into an unplayable mess. So then the next time, everyone tries to play it cool with that guy for the sake of the game. And eventually, it's just something folks learn to kind of live with to the best of their abilities.

Basically, I'm 6'3'' 170. Nothing I say is going to seriously intimidate a fellow adult on the basketball court. Further, my region was never one that believed in physical street justice, so we're usually left to attempt to solve matters in a civilized manner and often, it wouldn't work well. And1 guys would And1 through thick and thin. It was an uncontrollable tick. It was an addiction. We all had to work through it together.

:roll: :applause:

get these NETS
06-29-2012, 02:44 PM
and1 was a great era

brought harlem globetrotters type style to new era...without the overt clowning

sort of a logical if delayed extension to the fab five....

the thing was...webber and company could ACTUALLY play, so it was swagger and style on top of SOLID skills..
webber, howard and rose had long careers because they had tremendous fundamental skills

and 1 pushed the swagger/style style above actual skill level....

fooled generation of kids into thinking that tricks were more important than shooting, passing, dribbling,cutting,defending,etc

having said all that very very entertaining to watch

my top and 1 moments

1.Hotsauce and crew went into the projects in Coney Island...playing against future nba player sebstian telfair....and holding a cell phone in one hand..hot sauce drove around 3 defenders and made a layup...he shut down the ENTIRE projects

2. NBA player Mike James or Darrel Armstrong.......got crisss crossed off his feet...by professor... literally fell on the floor during a game

3. the 720....and just seeing air up there do super human stuff

4. very skinny player out of chicago....telling the guys that you can't measure strength by looking at how big somebody is......then he put up 4 plates like it was nothing.....bench pressed 225 lbs super easy

5.Super athlete Spider....thinking he's a world class athlete and stepping in the boxing ring with a real boxer....getting his ass handed to him..but staying in there

stax
06-30-2012, 10:37 AM
I was thinking about this thread last night. I remember one time I was persuaded to join the middle of a pick-up game at my school - so the people on court kind of knew me by reputation even though some of them were casual players - and the very first thing I did was put the ball between my legs, around my back and through the defender's legs, blowing by him in the process, and everyone went crazy haha. Good memories man.

I knew exactly what clip that was going to be before I even watched. I loved that move too.

However, my watershed moment was a move that used to be on the commercials for HoopsTV.com (if basketball is your religion, HoopsTV.com is your church): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coa7E3LvHns#t=0m54s

I eventually ended up taping a special program off TNT called On Hallowed Ground and I'd just watch that clip over and over (and the Vince Carter alley-oop) until my friend stole the tape.

Wow I forgot about that! I remember trying to find it online (pre-YouTube) but no luck.

I've also been thinking about some of the other 'media' from the late 90s:

http://i.imgur.com/sFToJ.jpg

I once did a portrait of Earl The Goat (based on John Huet's photo) for a school art project, circa 1998-99. :oldlol:

http://i.imgur.com/hhoM9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OwcjP.jpg

intrinsic
06-30-2012, 10:45 AM

This is how I'd imagine the Wizards players felt about Arenas.

ripthekik
06-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't miss the gameplay, I miss the shoes and t-shirts.
Back then they actually had innovative and good looking shoes.

I've had 2 pairs and both of them were excellent. One of them I'm still wearing for outdoor courts - and1 taichi.

Brujesino
06-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Wearing some And 1s right now.Probably gonna get the monta ellis shoes too.

MiseryCityTexas
06-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Hoops tv was a shitty website. Skip to my Lou Mian Event and Black Widow was the only thing i remembered from the And-1 mixtape series.

IGotACoolStory
06-30-2012, 03:26 PM

Yeah, and you know... He was an MVP, 11 time all star, is 17th on the all time scoring list, 12th all time in steals, and was consistently one of the best players in the league for a long duration.

But his street influence is why he belongs in the HOF.

jstern
06-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Any idea what came of the guy? Prison? Good job?

jstern
06-30-2012, 05:06 PM
It was not a good era at all. I remember guys doing the same moves over and over and over until they finally passed the ball. Eventually you learn the pattern and knock it off their hands. But I don't care how nostalgic some are here, it was horrible basketball.

I remember complaining last year that I would go to the playgrounds and all I saw were kids shooting 3 pointers and 30 footers, and celebrating big time because they hit rim. I'm glad I'm not seeing that this year, so hopefully that's not the new era.

This year I'm seeing the kids moving the ball around.

L.Kizzle
06-30-2012, 05:10 PM
It was not a good era at all. I remember guys doing the same moves over and over and over until they finally passed the ball. Eventually you learn the pattern and knock it off their hands. But I don't care how nostalgic some are here, it was horrible basketball.

I remember complaining last year that I would go to the playgrounds and all I saw were kids shooting 3 pointers and 30 footers, and celebrating big time because they hit rim. I'm glad I'm not seeing that this year, so hopefully that's not the new era.

I'll break your ankles than pass the ball, that's ball movement!

Rake2204
07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Any idea what came of the guy? Prison? Good job?
I think he ended up putting on a fair amount of weight and becoming a cook. It's not like he was some dude I was physically afraid of though. It's just I'm not an intimidating person myself, so there's never a lot I can do about someone being a jerk on the basketball court besides getting into verbal altercations, ultimately trying to make the best of it, then talking about it years later on a computer forum.

RaininTwos
07-02-2012, 11:56 PM

You are silly, you can't blame and 1 for that shit. Those guys stressed values of hard work and working on your fundamentals before trying that stuff, I remember main event preaching on that topic. You have to be very skilled to do those moves and people will always want to take shortcuts and go for flash instead of substance for almost anything related in life. How are you going to blame And 1 for people being dumb?

Here are the positives, And 1 got kids playing basketball and got kids outside in an era where all they did was play video games.

Linspired
07-03-2012, 12:00 AM
i was a big professor fan.

http://static.tumblr.com/9zmye4n/KqYl41pov/the_professor_and1.jpg

unbreakable
07-03-2012, 12:00 AM
and1 was an incredible era for the true ballers (not the over-the-top showoffs like hotsauce)..

but for guys like headache, alimoe, skip (first 2 couldve and SHOULDVE played in the nba), the and1 era will always be remembered as a great era.

Rake2204
07-03-2012, 09:04 AM
You are silly, you can't blame and 1 for that shit. Those guys stressed values of hard work and working on your fundamentals before trying that stuff, I remember main event preaching on that topic. You have to be very skilled to do those moves and people will always want to take shortcuts and go for flash instead of substance for almost anything related in life. How are you going to blame And 1 for people being dumb?

Here are the positives, And 1 got kids playing basketball and got kids outside in an era where all they did was play video games.
I think And1 definitely led to more isolations where pretenders executed what in their mind they believed to be sick fake-outs when in reality they looked like they were imitating Elaine's dance moves, but I think I agree with you that it did not altogether lead to the downfall of overall play.

I know everyone's region, area, and court scene is different, but I feel as though those 30 foot rainmaker guys have always existed, even entirely outside the influence of And1. Making long shots is one of the most satisfying moments of the game, so inexperienced players will always enjoy chasing that. It's like if I were to play sandlot baseball and only try to hit homeruns. People like going for the big one, often to a fault.

I'll say though, I had serious wondering thoughts in the mid-2000's if the Pistons' Championship and their reliance on the mid-range game would in fact lead to a regional infusion of players who developed adept jumpers from 15. The jury is still out.

jstern
07-03-2012, 12:03 PM

What I'm blaming are the idiots. The era of idiots dribbling, dribbling, and dribbling leading to nothing. I didn't see them working hard on anything else. Most people are idiots.

I don't hate 3 pointers, but I would hate that little era in the playgrounds around here where all the kids wanted to do was ball hug to shoot a long 3 pointer and then celebrate because they almost hit the rim.

I think he ended up putting on a fair amount of weight and becoming a cook. It's not like he was some dude I was physically afraid of though. It's just I'm not an intimidating person myself, so there's never a lot I can do about someone being a jerk on the basketball court besides getting into verbal altercations, ultimately trying to make the best of it, then talking about it years later on a computer forum.

I didn't think he sounded intimidating, just sounded really immature so wonder where he ended up.

Rake2204
07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I didn't think he sounded intimidating, just sounded really immature so wonder where he ended up.
Oh word. I see where you're coming from now. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I haven't been in direct contact with him but from what I've heard he's matured a little bit (don't we all) though I think it's safe to assume he's still more or less the same guy. Don't know about his career though. I think he's been in and out of college, then culinary school, for a good portion of his teens and 20's.

Rake2204
09-29-2012, 12:19 AM
In the early 2000's, there were a handful of guys I made a point to catch whenever they made an appearance on TV: Vince Carter, Jason Williams, and oddly enough, Rafer Alston. I found out about him from a SLAM cover many years earlier and I was then interested in his journey from unknown to NBA. And digging through my archives today, I was able to find the clip I've mentioned here before, where young Alston checks in during garbage time and tries to bring a little bit of And1 to the big stage (before these moves became mainstream).

It's nothing crazy, which kind of makes the outcome more amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgZp38dF9B0

miller-time
09-29-2012, 12:36 AM
It's nothing crazy, which kind of makes the outcome more amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgZp38dF9B0

i think it sums it up though. And1 is flashy nothingness. it is to basketball what wanking into a flannel is to actual sex. it is amusing for awhile but then you realize it amounts to nothing and you are filled with self loathing for taking part.

Lebron23
04-28-2013, 07:15 PM
http://www.nickengvall.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/and1-tai-chi-2009.jpg

troyceps33
04-28-2013, 07:31 PM
The NBL (Australian League) Jerseys are all And1

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/21/1_1576002480128_3.jpg

They look awful

04-28-2013, 08:14 PM
I remember that one commercial about some old dude narrating while there was footage of players doing And1 style moves.

He said something along the lines of, "someday there should be a game between NBA All Stars and players from the hood. because when you come to the hood. LOL (scoffing) when you come to the hood...scoffs..."

Like what? what would happen? What would happen if the NBA guys beat the hood players? Would they get shot? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I thought that commercial was forced and corny. I don't think that narrator was even from the hood just some actor...lol....

When I was into ball during the 90s, I was the first (and only) kid at my school to have the Stephon Marbury And1's. They had the "S" logo on the heel with arrows pointing to opposite ends symbolizing his crossover. And1 is the first time I have ever heard of the expression "breaking ankles."

I tried to do this stuff when I was a young but naive kid, thinking it would impress coaches during JV tryouts in HS. Eh. it didn't LOL.:facepalm

millwad
04-28-2013, 08:24 PM
I remember that one commercial about some old dude narrating while there was footage of players doing And1 style moves.

He said something along the lines of, "someday there should be a game between NBA All Stars and players from the hood. because when you come to the hood. LOL (scoffing) when you come to the hood...scoffs..."

Like what? what would happen? What would happen if the NBA guys beat the hood players? Would they get shot? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I thought that commercial was forced and corny. I don't think that narrator was even from the hood just some actor...lol....

When I was into ball during the 90s, I was the first (and only) kid at my school to have the Stephon Marbury And1's. They had the "S" logo on the heel with arrows pointing to opposite ends symbolizing his crossover. And1 is the first time I have ever heard of the expression "breaking ankles."

I tried to do this stuff when I was a young but naive kid, thinking it would impress coaches during JV tryouts in HS. Eh. it didn't LOL.:facepalm

Tell us about that legendary game of yours.

millwad
04-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I was a big fan of the early AND1 shoes, was wearing their shoes for a long time. I stopped a couple of years ago when I played in the swedish basketball league due the fact that my team was sponsored by Nike.

My two favourite AND1's;

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/066/797/muhammadrizwankhan-834386_original_display_image.jpe[IMG]

2.[IMG]http://www.nickengvall.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/and1-tai-chi-2009.jpg

TheBigVeto
04-28-2013, 09:12 PM
You can also name the era "the decline of good basketball era"

Myth
04-28-2013, 09:24 PM
I was sporting And1 shorts on Saturday :pimp:

Ol Dirty Bastard
04-29-2013, 12:03 AM
skip to my lou
:applause:

Rake2204
05-29-2013, 09:18 PM

I thought that commercial was forced and corny. I don't think that narrator was even from the hood just some actor...lol....Stumbled upon it the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhm_gMc0bY

"When you come to the hood?! HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/633962/hoopstv.gif

keep-itreal
05-29-2013, 11:26 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

SamuraiSWISH
05-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Their sneakers were terrible, had the Skip To My Lou's in white / blue. Very cheap, not comfortable, not durable.

The first underground caliber mixtape was awesome. The one you got at CHAMPS exclusively if you bought a shirt, shorts, or sneakers.

Their shorts used to be totally legit. Absolute game quality, no pockets either. Which is awesome. If any of you can get a pair of vintage and 1 shorts from the late 90s, I highly recommend it. They are so durable, and feel like real game material.

Anyway, the mix tapes were legit when it was actual footage of Skip killing real defenders at the highly competitive Rucker summer league. Or better known as EBC. But once "Hot Sauce" came a long, and the staged, clown moves on average ballers. I totally lost interest.

Rake2204
05-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Their sneakers were terrible, had the Skip To My Lou's in white / blue. Very cheap, not comfortable, not durable.

The first underground caliber mixtape was awesome. The one you got at CHAMPS exclusively if you bought a shirt, shorts, or sneakers.

Their shorts used to be totally legit. Absolute game quality, no pockets either. Which is awesome. If any of you can get a pair of vintage and 1 shorts from the late 90s, I highly recommend it. They are so durable, and feel like real game material.

Anyway, the mix tapes were legit when it was actual footage of Skip killing real defenders at the highly competitive Rucker summer league. Or better known as EBC. But once "Hot Sauce" came a long, and the staged, clown moves on average ballers. I totally lost interest.Spot on through and through.

http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lieberman_and1_shorts.jpg

Mine were white and navy. And longer.

305Baller
05-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Who here still says "And -1" when they are fouled?

Straight_Ballin
05-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Before and 1, there was Starter. If you didn't have a starter coat in the early 90's, you weren't one of the cool kids.

SamuraiSWISH
05-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Spot on through and through.

http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lieberman_and1_shorts.jpg

Mine were white and navy. And longer.
Mine were white and navy too. I actually prefer my bball shorts cutting off right before the knee cap.

That late 90's era was the shorts are best at length wise. Baggy enough to be comfortable, without showing too much "man thigh" like Stockton's short shorts.

And they aren't SO LONG like the ones you find at Wal-Mart and Marshalls now, where they are so long and ghetto that they feel like capri pants.

When shorts are so long I have difficulty dribbling through my legs, it's a problem.

Ai2death
05-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Funny for this to come up, i just found out at my local rec league that "Bad Santa" plays for one of the A grade teams.

Cleverness
05-30-2013, 12:35 AM
http://raisingchampions.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/lance-stephenson-is-helping-and1-to-make-a-comeback/

Lance Stephenson wears 'em. I used to have a couple of pairs back in the day. The 24 Karat lows were very comfortable shoes. I would LOVE to have another pair of them to wear casually (not actually playing in them).

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI0dMgAOH-3gIZ-xSbD0C5vMnmwsl_FqSOYE2sBMq7YnAeWdmk

MiseryCityTexas
05-30-2013, 03:08 AM

And 1 endorsed Latrell Sprewell as well as Kevin Garnett. Garnett had Nike also at the same damned time. Dada used to endorse Sprewell also. I remember Dada had the signature Sprewell Rim spinning shoes back in the day lmao.

MiseryCityTexas
05-30-2013, 03:18 AM
I also remember when Rafer Alston was like And-1 's number 1 personal endorser. I remember when And-1 rode Rafer Alston's dick hard when he went pro on the Bucks. They were giving him special ads in Slam magazine and everything. At one point Alston was to And-1 pretty much like how Iverson was to Reebok. I also remember when And-1 had all them street ball tours, and them bitch ass ninjas would never make a stop in Houston until Rafer Alston was traded to The Rockets.:oldlol: that's why the NBA team got in And-1's ass in that street ball tournament that year in 06. Them And-1 streetballer's shitty defense made shitty NBA players like Mike James, and Moochie Norris look like Kobe in that tournament. :roll:

bdreason
05-30-2013, 03:22 AM
It was a street style of basketball that was commercialized into a fad for suburban kids. I got caught up in it for a couple months myself, trying to do tricks on the court instead of making quality basketball plays. One day, I woke up, and was over it... just how fads work I guess.

I remember when Jason Richardson, one of my favorite Warriors, bounced the ball off a guys head in an NBA All-Star game... and I thought it was completely bush league.

MiseryCityTexas
05-30-2013, 03:38 AM
My favorite And-1 ballers other than skip to my lou were Main event, Black Widow, Bone collector, and 50 (Kenyon Martin's Cousin). 50 was easily the best dunker out of the whole And-1 mixtape crew aside from Main Event, and Human highlight film. 50's in game streetball dunks used to be the shit.

get these NETS
05-31-2013, 08:27 PM
My favorite And-1 ballers other than skip to my lou were Main event, Black Widow, Bone collector, and 50 (Kenyon Martin's Cousin). 50 was easily the best dunker out of the whole And-1 mixtape crew aside from Main Event, and Human highlight film. 50's in game streetball dunks used to be the shit.
50 was really kenyon's cousin?

air up there was best dunker of and1 and best dunker ever not named vince carter

Rake2204
05-31-2013, 08:34 PM
I remember when Jason Richardson, one of my favorite Warriors, bounced the ball off a guys head in an NBA All-Star game... and I thought it was completely bush league.You know, it's funny because at the time, we probably considered that person just "a guy" because he was a second round draft pick on a terrible team. That guy was actually Carlos Boozer though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoEJ8qwdxeA

I actually thought the move was pretty fun. I remember Carlos being a little salty though. At least Richardson did it right and didn't rifle it off Boozer's head like all non-street guys did when they tried it against their friends.

get these NETS
05-31-2013, 08:36 PM
I always thought it was jay will(whit eboy) who bounced ball of boozer's head and in rookie game...or rook/second year player game

Rake2204
05-31-2013, 08:40 PM
I always thought it was jay will(whit eboy) who bounced ball of boozer's head and in rookie game...or rook/second year player gameYeah, Williams may have not gone off someone's head, but he did just about everything else in his Rookie Game appearance... except throw a chest pass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeEuaxo3dXo

Edit: Earlier, I brought up the kid around my way who threw those ridiculous underhand passes all the time. I'm fully convinced he had that J-Will Rookie Game on tape and watched it religiously. He pretty much emulated everything Williams is doing in that clip, except he did it 472 times worse.

get these NETS
05-31-2013, 08:46 PM
thanks rake

title of video is HILARIOUS

Brujesino
05-31-2013, 09:27 PM
they sell and 1 shoes and shorts at walmart.You can get them cheap :banana: