PDA

View Full Version : 7 Teams Passed On Drummond, Remember That When...

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 12:14 PM
you overpay for your next big man that gives you nothing on the court. Seems like every year people pass on talented big men to take marginal guards and then wonder why they don't get better.

Let's also not forget that 27-28 teams passed on Perry Jones....unless that knee 100 percent would require micro-fracture surgery in the future then it was stupid.

These kids are blank slates and you can develop them with the right coaching.

Meticode
06-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Michael Olowokandi

SpecialQue
06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Michael Olowokandi

I read an old Sports Illustrated issue from when he got drafted saying that he could be the next Bill Russell.

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Michael Olowokandi

wasn't as naturally gifted as Drummond and came in after 4 years of college basketball.

but I'll give you a better comparison....Bynum

JohnnySic
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
8 teams passed on Drummund..............I'm not giving the Hornets a pass....

Rekindled
06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
wasn't as naturally gifted as Drummond and came in after 4 years of college basketball.

but I'll give you a better comparison....Bynum

not a good comparison at at all, bynum is very slow and looks awkward running up and down . Drummond is freakishly fast and runs like a guard

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 12:23 PM
not a good comparison at at all, bynum is very slow and looks awkward running up and down . Drummond is freakishly fast and runs like a guard

both were young raw big men when they entered the league at a very young age. Bynum had a better natural bball iq but both were raw.

If the Lakers somehow got Drummond, I have no doubt that he would be an all star in 5 years.

LikeABosh
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
It seems like teams are scared of taking a project. Drummond has all star potential, in this weak era of centers he could be dominate. He is a legit 7', 280, and freakishly quick and fast. Sure he can bust but it's a risk worth taking, instead of drafting some guard who's ceiling is a role player.

FireDavidKahn
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
What exactly makes Drummond so "talented"? Is it just because he is athletic? The dude can barely play basketball.

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 12:28 PM
What exactly makes Drummond so "talented"? Is it just because he is athletic? The dude can barely play basketball.

yes. that is what makes him naturally talented. Remember that he is only 18 years old!! Guy is a blank slate and has all the tools to be something special. If you are good organization you can mold him into an all star because he has so many tools that other players don't have.

Put him on LA and hire Kareem and I'm confident that he becomes an all star. Put him with Coach Pop and I'm confident he becomes an all star. Guy has everything.

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
To play devil's advocate, Darko Milicic also had all the tools. I'm quite hopeful Drummond will exceed Darko's level.

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Stuff like this isn't universal. More often than not it's circumstantial. Players like Bynum stepped into a perfect situation, where a door was left wide open for the 'next great center' in LA. Do you think he would have developed into this kind of player had he not been brought along by Kareem and instead had been drafted by the Bobcats? The kids motivation and maturity has come under fire enough as it is. Imagine him in a less-than-ideal playing situation elsewhere.

A perfect example is DeAndre Jordan. He has the natural ability to be a great center but he's hardly improved from the raw offensive player he was coming into the league. Had he gone to a team with greater expectations and a dedicated focus on bringing him along as a project player, it's safe to assume that he'd AT LEAST be making shots outside of the paint right now. Even if he had a jump shot that was broken, that would be some progress.

Nevertheless, simply drafting size isn't always a sure thing. For every Bynum there's a Olowokandi, or a Thabeet. I'm sure lots of GM's still had that Thabeet pick a few years back fresh in their minds when considering Drummond.

Boston drafted Fab Melo, so at least there's that.

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 12:40 PM
To play devil's advocate, Darko Milicic also had all the tools. I'm quite hopeful Drummond will exceed Darko's level.

-Darko didn't have Drummond's tools. Athletically, he is something special. I watched a lot of his games and the tools are there. He just has to spend more time playing the game.
-You weren't passing up on 5 star prospects for Drummond like Darko. For example Toronto took Terrance Ross, whose ceiling is a bad starter, over Drummond.

ZenMaster
06-29-2012, 12:44 PM
-Darko didn't have Drummond's tools. Athletically, he is something special. I watched a lot of his games and the tools are there. He just has to spend more time playing the game.
-You weren't passing up on 5 star prospects for Drummond like Darko. For example Toronto took Terrance Ross, whose ceiling is a bad starter, over Drummond.

Just curious, do you always refer to athleticism and size as tools?

mrhoopfan
06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Instead of waiting 6-7 years into his career, his agent needs to have him go work with Olajuwon right now

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Just curious, do you always refer to athleticism and size as tools?

I hate to use the word always. To be more precise they are gifts. Gifts that most don't have and will never have.

Meticode
06-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Darko Milicic

ZenMaster
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I hate to use the word always. To be more precise they are gifts. Gifts that most don't have and will never have.

Yeah he certainly is an athletic freak. Another thing I wonder is: if you think so highly of Drummond then what do you think of Davis?

DaHeezy
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Hibbert gets alot of praise, only thing that seperated Hibbert from Drummond is hype. I expect Drummond to have similar success

iDunk
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
yes. that is what makes him naturally talented. Remember that he is only 18 years old!! Guy is a blank slate and has all the tools to be something special. If you are good organization you can mold him into an all star because he has so many tools that other players don't have.

Put him on LA and hire Kareem and I'm confident that he becomes an all star. Put him with Coach Pop and I'm confident he becomes an all star. Guy has everything.
Yeah, same thing with Derrick Favors when he came in, he was really raw & could only finish around the basket. Now look at him in only his second year, averaged a double double in the playoffs. Drummond is going to be the same case as Favors.

T-Low
06-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I honestly felt bad for Drummond....when he finally got picked, it was quite the sigh of relief....Drummond WILL be one of the better players in this draft by the end of the season....

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Regarding the first point, their skills and makeup weren't identical, but Darko at the time definitely had a lot of tools in terms of what he was capable of doingon the basketball court (I'd say arguably more than Drummond). Young Milicic was relatively quick (though Drummond seems quicker), he could shoot (not a sharpshooter, but he could knock down jumpers and NBA triples without looking hapless), and he had a post game that seemed well on its way to blossoming into something special.

To this day, I still cannot lie. When I was up at the University of Detroit watching the Pistons open practice in '03, that whole place was giddy with Darko. He looked sharp, the perfect complement to Ben Wallace for years to come. This gent was taking off one step inside the free throw line and dunking with relative ease during 3-on-2, 2-on-1 drills. I think it can be argued Larry Brown indirectly destroyed Darko's will to live, but I definitely think Milicic had soemthing there at the start.

Regarding your second statement, I agree. There's not as much pressure resting on Detroit for the Drummond pick. He more or less fell into their laps and there wasn't a highly touted alternative that was immediately swooped up afterward. I'd say relatively low risk, possibly high reward.

handbanana
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Darko Milicic
yeah, darko had game like this (37 points, 9 reb, 9 ast, 17/19 fg) (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.gameID_3604-B-9-5.compID_3PFNKyhLHWIYKHG2fZORy3.season_2003.roundI D_3553.html) when he was 17 years old, playing against grown men in european international competition.

drummond - meh

kumquat
06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Drummond sucks balls, he would have slipped further if Detroit didn't pick him.

He's just got no idea what to do on a basketball court. He has the basketball IQ of Kwame and the work ethic of Eddy Curry.

Darko has a lot of skill, but is mentally weak.

fpliii
06-29-2012, 01:59 PM
next twin towers :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

LJJ
06-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm never too high on athletic players who look very raw in college. College competition is extremely weak for the most part. Especially at center, you don't have to be all that to look like a terrific player.

Yet Drummond didn't do much of anything really. When you are seven feet tall and 270 pounds and hyper athletic you need to be able to do more against college competition, even as a raw 18 year old.

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 02:04 PM
At least this is semi-encouraging:

Dumars said he vowed after the Darko Milicic debacle in 2003 that he would never again settled for limited information -- particularly when evaluating 18-year-olds. Whereas he only had two sources of information regarding Milicic, Dumars said he had close to a dozen different background sources for Drummond.

They even talked with his sixth-grade teacher.
http://www.freep.com/article/20120629/COL08/306290003/Drew-Sharp-What-Joe-Dumars-did-avoid-another-Darko-fiasco-Pistons

IGOTGAME
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm never too high on athletic players who look very raw in college. College competition is extremely weak for the most part. Especially at center, you don't have to be all that to look like a terrific player.

Yet Drummond didn't do much of anything really. When you are seven feet tall and 270 pounds and hyper athletic you need to be able to do more against college competition, even as a raw 18 year old.

the team was broken. he was literally no coached up at all due to all the turmoil that wen on during the season. With that said, he had moments in games where he did things that showcased his otherworldly gifts.

Even if all you can get him to do with to play hard on defense, block shots, catch alley opps ---> he is still worth taking earlier than 9.

lets also not forget that this guy is 280 pounds at age 18 and is only going to get bigger and stronger. I'm defenses are gonna love facing this 6"11 300 pound super quick man child on defense in a few years. If D'Andre Jordon, who is borderline retarded bbiq wise, can become a difference maker on defense than I have know issue saying Drummond will do that same.

Pushxx
06-29-2012, 02:15 PM
If he plays disciplined defense, learns how to defensive rebound, and can hit 60% of his free throws, he'll be an amazing partner for Greg Monroe.

We already know he can catch the ball and sky over everyone.

Stuckey
06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
i'm happy we got andre, but worried that greg will have to play the 4, he's gonna be even more exposed defensively

overall im glad :cheers:

Skywalker
06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Hibbert gets alot of praise, only thing that seperated Hibbert from Drummond is hype. I expect Drummond to have similar success

Not the same at all retard, rofl.

FireDavidKahn
06-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Hibbert was also a better basketball player

Attila
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
i'm happy we got andre, but worried that greg will have to play the 4, he's gonna be even more exposed defensively

overall im glad :cheers:
I think its better for Monroe to be at the 4. He got exposed more often playing the 5.

DuMa
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
no one bringing up D'andre Jordan yet? dude is an exact clone of DJ

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM

I did on the first page.

DaHeezy
06-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Not the same at all retard, rofl.

I'm not saying they're the same player in skillset, retard, I'm saying his success level could be the same, but Drummond garnered more mype where it'll look like he underacheived

DaHeezy
06-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Again, I'm not comparing skillset, I'm comparing success level.

Skywalker
06-29-2012, 03:21 PM
I think its better for Monroe to be at the 4. He got exposed more often playing the 5.

He'll continue to play at the 5 since Drummond will never be a suitable starter.

Sarcastic
06-29-2012, 03:23 PM

As a freshman, he certainly did not.

Sarcastic
06-29-2012, 03:24 PM

He has a better jumper right now than current Deandre Jordan.

abuC
06-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Drummond sucks balls, he would have slipped further if Detroit didn't pick him.

He's just got no idea what to do on a basketball court. He has the basketball IQ of Kwame and the work ethic of Eddy Curry.

How exactly does he have the work ethic of Eddy Curry? I've read several different sources that say he's in the gym a lot and is very coachable. He needs direction, a guideline on what he needs to work on.

You don't get to be 280lbs with that little body fat with no work ethic.

Attila
06-29-2012, 04:20 PM
He'll continue to play at the 5 since Drummond will never be a suitable starter.
Lol, and yet you mention Terrance Ross starting for Raps. Talk about a suitable starter :roll: :roll: :roll:

ZenMaster
06-29-2012, 05:10 PM
He has a better jumper right now than current Deandre Jordan.

80% of this forum has a better jumper right now than Deandre Jordan...

brwnman
06-29-2012, 05:23 PM

As a freshman, he certainly did not.
he certainly did not a better basketball player :biggums: ...

inclinerator
06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5 not 6 but 7

nbarumorz
06-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Let's see here...

29% Free Throw shooter
+
Questionable work ethic/motivation/intensity
+
7 footer who averaged < 8 RBG
+
2 pts and 3 reb in his only game on a big, important stage (NCAA Tourney) in 26 minutes of action

= over-hyped BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST

ShaqAttack3234
06-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Drummond has physical potentially, but he's just so raw, completely lacks any skills at the moment and he's foul prone even at the college level. He's a kid who I definitely would've liked to see stay another 2 years, or at least another year and develop his game a little more while getting playing time. I hate seeing these project big men enter the league when they're going to be so useless in their first year, if not longer. Being so incapable of competing at the NBA level right now, so unskilled and so lacking in knowledge and how to play the game gives him the potential to be a bust so he's far from a safe pick.

As raw as Dwight was as a rookie, Drummond is definitely less skilled and NBA-ready. And while Dwight obviously showed significant potential in his rookie year, he didn't show anything to suggest that he'd be capable of becoming the player he was in 2011. So you never know, these guys can surprise you, but Drummond obviously won't reach Dwight's level.

This also reminds me how much I miss Greg Oden. He had more physical potential than Drummond, and while he was raw, he was much more skilled entering the league than Drummond is now, and you could see the potential for Oden to be able to make jump hooks and develop a pretty good post game.

EricGordon23
06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
People compare him to DJ but Cmon did you watch any of his games. He is already better offensively then DJ. Hes going to be dwight with a Jump shot best case scenario. How do you pass on that?

eliteballer
06-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Pistons have Big Ben and Monroe for him to learn from.....

stolper
06-29-2012, 06:49 PM
The record on guys with raw physical talents but no basketball skills is awful. For every Andrew Bynum there are 5 Hasheem Thabeets. Not picking Drummond shows that teams are finally learning that these guys tend to be busts.

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Pistons have Big Ben and Monroe for him to learn from.....

Wallace probably retires.

AAckley1
06-29-2012, 06:59 PM
The thing with "blank slates" is more often than not, they don't turn out to be Magna Cartas.

alwaysunny
06-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Drummond has physical potentially, but he's just so raw, completely lacks any skills at the moment and he's foul prone even at the college level. He's a kid who I definitely would've liked to see stay another 2 years, or at least another year and develop his game a little more while getting playing time. I hate seeing these project big men enter the league when they're going to be so useless in their first year, if not longer. Being so incapable of competing at the NBA level right now, so unskilled and so lacking in knowledge and how to play the game gives him the potential to be a bust so he's far from a safe pick.

This was my initial thinking also but seeing Sullinger and PJ3's stock drop significantly by staying 1 more year I just can't support that anymore. Get in the league while you can, and try to improve from there.

bdreason
06-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Bunch of morons passing on Drummond. How could Cleveland not look to pair Irving with an All-Star caliber big?

Guys like MKG and Waiters going 2nd and 4th? :oldlol:

bdreason
06-29-2012, 07:16 PM
And why do people act like he has no skills? Where does this nonsense come from? ESPN? :oldlol:

Hopper15
06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
The record on guys with raw physical talents but no basketball skills is awful. For every Andrew Bynum there are 5 Hasheem Thabeets. Not picking Drummond shows that teams are finally learning that these guys tend to be busts.

and the Lakers had Kareem work with him. Who's going to coach up an extremely raw Andre Drummond in Detroit?

ZenMaster
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
And why do people act like he has no skills? Where does this nonsense come from? ESPN? :oldlol:

People act like that because relative to his size and athleticism he played like crap in his 1 year in college.

irondarts
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
The best comparison for Drummond is Amare when he came into the league.

ShaqAttack3234
06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
This was my initial thinking also but seeing Sullinger and PJ3's stock drop significantly by staying 1 more year I just can't support that anymore. Get in the league while you can, and try to improve from there.

I think if he's as talented as some think he is, his stock won't drop, particularly if he starts to show more to his game. I don't like the idea of him going to the NBA which the ability he has now, he won't be able to compete for a while, and I think that's bad for his development.

And purely speaking as an NBA fan, I just hate seeing teams draft these types. It's why I wish there was at least a 2 year college rule.

copper
06-29-2012, 08:21 PM
with Big ben retiring and taking a coaching position on the staff I can see drummond being ready on the defensive end and rebounding very well. Pair him with a smooth player like moose and he will get some easy looks to score a handful of dunks and layups to keep the defense honest. No one is expecting the kid (18 yrs old) to step in and take the world by storm. Labeling him a bust or declaring him the next coming at this point is purely speculation.The college game and the pro game are entirely different creatures and we have all seen the great college players step on the pro floor and take a huge shit on center court. We have also seen relative unknowns step in and become very productive, even all stars. We can all agree the kid has enourmous upside and all the athletic potential to be a huge success....and im sure we can all agree that the term potential usually means " coulda been" I personally will hold out my judgement on him until I see how the team uses him, and how Knight and Monroe play along side him and compliment each others styles of play.

Sarcastic
06-29-2012, 08:34 PM
People judging him off his 1 year of college are clueless. He could have been a HS senior the past year, but went to college early. He's more developed than Dwight Howard at the same age.

Sarcastic
06-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I think if he's as talented as some think he is, his stock won't drop, particularly if he starts to show more to his game. I don't like the idea of him going to the NBA which the ability he has now, he won't be able to compete for a while, and I think that's bad for his development.

And purely speaking as an NBA fan, I just hate seeing teams draft these types. It's why I wish there was at least a 2 year college rule.

Why? Calhoun could care less about developing Drummond's skill set as far as it meant winning. He gave the ball to Lamb and Napier all year long. His goal was to win at UConn, not develop Andre Drummond.

ZenMaster
06-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Why? Calhoun could care less about developing Drummond's skill set as far as it meant winning. He gave the ball to Lamb and Napier all year long. His goal was to win at UConn, not develop Andre Drummond.

Too bad for him, he should have picked Kentucky and Calipari then.

Mike Barrett
06-29-2012, 08:48 PM
5 teams passed on Lillard, remember that! The best player in the draft, and he got drafted by the great Blazers. Big win!

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Who's going to coach up an extremely raw Andre Drummond in Detroit?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kut11gSs0v1qz8ui7o1_500.jpg

Just kidding.

magnax1
06-29-2012, 08:50 PM
I have a hard time seeing Drummond not at least being a rotation player for a long time. He already seems more then capable of playing defense at an NBA level, and his size is quite insane. I don't think people realize that he weighs 280 pounds at 18 years old. He looks like he could easily add quite a bit more weight too. Of course he is raw, but when looking at guys who have the potential to be an all star at the center position the only two I remember that looked as capable in that sense in the past 5 years were Cousins and Oden.
Shooting 30% on free throws is scary though. People talk about guys shooting at like 50-60% being liabilities, and I don't think that's really a huge deal, but if you have a guy shooting 30% in big minutes, I think that could be a huge problem. Beyond that, I have to wonder if he just has an awful offensive touch.

Sarcastic
06-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Too bad for him, he should have picked Kentucky and Calipari then.

I agree. Kentucky at least is honest about the whole farce that is college basketball.

ZenMaster
06-29-2012, 10:10 PM
I agree. Kentucky at least is honest about the whole farce that is college basketball.

Calipari develops his players quite a bit.

IGOTGAME
10-14-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't understand how certain GMs keep their jobs...Terrence Ross? Someone should be fired.

SourPatchKids
10-14-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't understand how certain GMs keep their jobs...Terrence Ross? Someone should be fired.
He was honestly a safer bet coming out of college. Drummond is a prime example of high risk high reward.

chips93
10-15-2012, 06:48 PM
People judging him off his 1 year of college are clueless. He could have been a HS senior the past year, but went to college early. He's more developed than Dwight Howard at the same age.

well actually, he was gonna go to prep school, then decided against it

hes the typical age, of a one-and-done player

veilside23
10-15-2012, 08:59 PM
If only detroit had kg drummong after 3 years can be your center of the future... as loud as kg talks smack ... kg has got to be one of the best teacher for the entire team ...

longtime lurker
10-15-2012, 11:16 PM

I agree with you. Not just Terrence Ross but I don't see how Drummond realistically should have fallen out of top 5.

bdreason
10-20-2012, 03:44 AM
People act like that because relative to his size and athleticism he played like crap in his 1 year in college.

People should have examined the circumstances of his year at UCONN.

Guy is beasting in the preseason, and looks like the best player in the draft so far (along with Lillard).

IGOTGAME
01-21-2013, 01:14 PM
This is why teams like the raptors will likely stay bad.

Zan Tabak
01-21-2013, 01:44 PM
This is why teams like the raptors will likely stay bad.
Although I still think the Raptors should of taken Drummond. At the same time I'm also pleased with Ross and his potential.

Nanners
01-21-2013, 08:07 PM
i dont blame the hornets or blazers for passing on drummond. lillard is the best rookie in this class and its not very close, also anthony davis is a no brainer.

IGOTGAME
07-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Michael Olowokandi

:facepalm

IGOTGAME
12-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Darko Milicic

yup.

abuC
12-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Kid is a beast.

CelticBaller
12-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Too many teams :no:

Zan Tabak
12-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Although I still think the Raptors should of taken Drummond. At the same time I'm also pleased with Ross and his potential.
I take that back, the Raps should of taken Drummond. :facepalm