PDA

View Full Version : Memphis allows OJ Mayo to become an Unrestricted Free Agent

Rowe
06-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Griz issue qualifying offers to Arthur, Speights, making them RFA. Won't issue QO to Mayo or Hudson. CA story coming...
https://twitter.com/CAGrizBlog

So where does OJ Mayo end up? It wont be in Memphis.

NumberSix
06-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Heat or Lakers

chosen_one6
06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Boston? :confusedshrug:

JaE_BLiZZy
06-29-2012, 01:20 PM
What date can teams start signing free agents??

AMISTILLILL
Boston should try not being clown shoes for one off season and sign Mayo AND bring Lester Hudson back too. I can't believe this kid slides off the radar season after season, only occasionally getting mid-season call-ups. Kid can flat out score.

AMISTILLILL
What date can teams start signing free agents??

July 1st is the start of free agency.

R.I.P.
06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Heat or Lakers

No way. He

JohnnySic
06-29-2012, 01:22 PM
C's are after this guy...

Tenchi Ryu
06-29-2012, 01:22 PM
*Prays for Chicago*
Got Teague, so Watson's contract can go, same with Brewer since we got Butler.

Heard Rumors they plan on dropping korver too, hope thats not the case tho.

Rake2204
06-29-2012, 01:24 PM
July 1st is the start of free agency.
That is the day of verbal agreements, yes? Then July 10th or so is the day they can officially sign? Or am I way off base?

I always tend to hate the verbal period because I hear about a potential signing but I don't let myself react because I know it's not official.

Rowe
06-29-2012, 01:25 PM
That is the day of verbal agreements, yes? Then July 10th or so is the day they can officially sign? Or am I way off base?

I always tend to hate the verbal period because I hear about a potential signing but I don't let myself react because I know it's not official.

I believe so.

Guys can first start talking to teams on the 1st without tampering, but its the 9th or 10th when they can officially ink a deal.

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Yeah, the verbal period is speculation rampant.

I remember when Portland had Hedo "in principle" three or four seasons back. Seemed like a great fit. Then, his wife threw a hissy, he bailed on the agreement and signed with Toronto out of the blue. :lol

We all know how that panned out.

Rowe
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]No way. He

Tenchi Ryu
06-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Exactly.

I think he ends up with Phoenix.

Prime opportunity for him to try to prove himself as a #1 scoring option.
This will show us what he wants, money or a ring. In Phoenix, he can definitely see some nice paychecks and the spotlight as #1, but his championship odds aren't very strong at phoenix.

RaininTwos
06-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Boston should try not being clown shoes for one off season and sign Mayo AND bring Lester Hudson back too. I can't believe this kid slides off the radar season after season, only occasionally getting mid-season call-ups. Kid can flat out score.
That would be a good move.

Hope the Raps throw this guy a bone.

Chicago really needs to make some moves though, if they dont get him this year..Rose better just leave. Every year they could have had this dude, they need to get him now.

Tenchi Ryu
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
That would be a good move.

Hope the Raps throw this guy a bone.

Chicago really needs to make some moves though, if they dont get him this year..Rose better just leave. Every year they could have had this dude, they need to get him now.
Tell me about it, Mayo would definitely help this team greatly. Apparently, Brewer, Watson and Korver are about to hit the door, so that's 15 million a year to work with, but then we got to remember those contract upgrades Gibson and Asik are getting....

hawkfan
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Boston, Brooklyn, LA Lakers (via trade exception) or Toronto.

3 years, $24-27 million.

Crown&Coke
06-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I wonder whats the reasoning behind them not extending him the QA??

it doesn't hurt to do it, plus they can negotiate S&T's to try and bring back some assets if they really don't want him while allowing OJ to get greater salary increases.

chosen_one6
06-29-2012, 01:41 PM
I wonder whats the reasoning behind them not extending him the QA??

it doesn't hurt to do it, plus they can negotiate S&T's to try and bring back some assets if they really don't want him while allowing OJ to get greater salary increases.

Would have been $7.4 million for the qualifying offer, instead they split it up and offered it to Speights and Darrell Arthur.

R.I.P.
06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
This will show us what he wants, money or a ring. In Phoenix, he can definitely see some nice paychecks and the spotlight as #1, but his championship odds aren't very strong at phoenix.

So far Mayo has been a good rotation player. We have seen real stars go broke. Ringtalk is for veterans and superstars with nine figures in the bank account. Rings don

Celtic_Pride
06-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Bulls don't have the cap space.

It will either be Phoenix or Brooklyn or Celtics

Rab
06-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Phoenix has the money, and it he seems like the kind of scoring 2 guard they want. I'd rather them make a run at Eric Gordon if possible. I'm not sure I'd throw a ton of money at Mayo long term.

Raz
06-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Exactly.

I think he ends up with Phoenix.

Prime opportunity for him to try to prove himself as a #1 scoring option.

I agree. I think he will surprise people with what team he ends up with. Now that he is a UFA he will receive something over $6 million per year starting. He could be a 20ppg scorer for Phoenix right away.

If we're talking about ideal fit, I'd have to pick one of the following teams:
-Brooklyn
-Dallas
-Indiana
-LA Clippers
-LA Lakers
-Minnesota
-Philadelphia
-Phoenix

MisterAmazing
06-29-2012, 01:59 PM
http://www.thecamreport.com/images//orange_juice.jpghttp://www.hellmanns.com/Images/380/380-97846.png

OmniStrife
06-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Phoenix!

Maniak
06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
If Mayo came to Phoenix I would cry tears of joy.

G-Funk
06-29-2012, 02:08 PM
"I wanna be a Laker, that's my ultimate dream , since I was younger" Oj Mayo

G-Funk
06-29-2012, 02:09 PM

here is ur only chance

Crown&Coke
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM

he said that???? recently or like 5 years ago?

Lakers need to jump on that asap. Dude checked CP3 pretty well in the playoffs. He's not a pg but who gives a shit at this point.

Lakers got their TPE, would be pretty awesome

CelticBaller
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Celtics :bowdown:

CelticBaller
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
I agree. I think he will surprise people with what team he ends up with. Now that he is a UFA he will receive something over $6 million per year starting. He could be a 20ppg scorer for Phoenix right away.

If we're talking about ideal fit, I'd have to pick one of the following teams:
-Brooklyn
-Dallas
-Indiana
-LA Clippers
-LA Lakers
-Minnesota
-Philadelphia
-Phoenix
in the Celtics he and Paul Pierce will be the main scoring options(If Allen leaves)

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Because the Lakers have the cap space to sign OJ Mayo and all... right?

:rolleyes:

Dude goes to Phoenix or Boston. It's a no brainer. Two teams with deep pockets looking to add impact players to replace veterans who left for greener pastures. Brooklyn already has Brooks, who should be starting.

LosBulls
06-29-2012, 02:59 PM
*Prays for Chicago*
Got Teague, so Watson's contract can go, same with Brewer since we got Butler.

Heard Rumors they plan on dropping korver too, hope thats not the case tho.
We need Brewer, Brewer is a beast.

LosBulls
06-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Tell me about it, Mayo would definitely help this team greatly. Apparently, Brewer, Watson and Korver are about to hit the door, so that's 15 million a year to work with, but then we got to remember those contract upgrades Gibson and Asik are getting....
We can also amnesty Boozer too so shouldnt that give us money to sign a max-type player or take on a huge contract?

nightprowler10
06-29-2012, 03:02 PM
We need Brewer, Brewer is a beast.
Yeah no ****. Give up Korver and CJ for all I care, but we need Brewer.

YAWN
06-29-2012, 03:03 PM
he's gonna go to wherever he can get the most money and start. Minnesota should go after him.

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 03:04 PM
We can also amnesty Boozer too so shouldnt that give us money to sign a max-type player or take on a huge contract?

Chicago isn't going to pay Boozer $47+ million off the books for the next 3 seasons while he's still at least capable of contributing. They would trade him before ever entertaining the amnesty option on him. It's not like he's Gilbert Arenas or something... his contract isn't even bad for what he brings to the team.

People expecting any sort of roster shake-up from the Bulls are more than likely going to be extremely let down. You don't tinker with a winning formula, even if it means taking your foot off the gas for a season while your star player recoups.

R.I.P-Chick
06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Because the Lakers have the cap space to sign OJ Mayo and all... right?

:rolleyes:

Dude goes to Phoenix or Boston. It's a no brainer. Two teams with deep pockets looking to add impact players to replace veterans who left for greener pastures. Brooklyn already has Brooks, who should be starting.

Clearly you don't know that the Lakers have a 9M TPE which Memphis will gladly S&T him for (whatever he fetches)

CelticBaller
06-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Clearly you don't know that the Lakers have a 9M TPE which Memphis will gladly S&T him for (whatever he fetches)
you think he'll take less money to go to the lakers? to do what? pass the ball to kobe?

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Who doesn't know that the Lakers have that TPE? A use for it is only suggested on this message board or in the media every 15 minutes.

The point is they don't have the cap space to a) keep him long term because he CAN and WILL get paid and b) outbid teams in a much more flexible position to pay him handsomely. More importantly, do you actually think Mayo is in a rush to leave one team where he doesn't start to go to another? Please.

nightprowler10
06-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Chicago isn't going to pay Boozer $47+ million off the books for the next 3 seasons while he's still at least capable of contributing. They would trade him before ever entertaining the amnesty option on him. It's not like he's Gilbert Arenas or something... his contract isn't even bad for what he brings to the team.

People expecting any sort of roster shake-up from the Bulls are more than likely going to be extremely let down. You don't tinker with a winning formula, even if it means taking your foot off the gas for a season while your star player recoups.
This.

It's all fun and games blaming Boozer when he doesn't step up, but he is a very good rebounder and not deserving of an amnesty. We need to keep adding players to help us succeed in the playoffs, not break up our core and start over.

Rowe
06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
he said that???? recently or like 5 years ago?

Lakers need to jump on that asap. Dude checked CP3 pretty well in the playoffs. He's not a pg but who gives a shit at this point.

Lakers got their TPE, would be pretty awesome
:oldlol:

G-Train has been posting lies all week for attention.

He's made a few threads saying the Lakers were getting certain players without posting a link.

R.I.P-Chick
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
you think he'll take less money to go to the lakers? to do what? pass the ball to kobe?

Not so sure he would even fetch all 9M of that TPE....so taking less money isn't the issue? That 9M TPE would be what he can earn upto yearly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though

TMT
06-29-2012, 03:11 PM
He'd be a solid replacement for Ray in Boston. Maybe Brooklyn if Deron stays and Dwight goes. :confusedshrug:

Rowe
06-29-2012, 03:12 PM

So the Lakers are going to pay him $7-9 Million per year despite the fact that they're well over the Luxury Tax and Jim Buss has mentioned how they don't want to be too far into the Luxury Tax when it goes into effect in 2013?

Gotta be more realistic on this stuff now.

The whole purpose of the new CBA is to keep teams like LA, Dallas, & even New York from spending without regard of the Luxury Tax unless they're willing to pay steeper penalties.

R.I.P-Chick
06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
So the Lakers are going to pay him $7-9 Million per year despite the fact that they're well over the Luxury Tax and Jim Buss has mentioned how they don't want to be too far into the Luxury Tax when it goes into effect in 2013?

Gotta be more realistic on this stuff now.

The whole purpose of the new CBA is to keep teams like LA, Dallas, & even New York from spending without regard of the Luxury Tax unless they're willing to pay steeper penalties.

Well I mean I'm not so sure. Obviously they want to move closer to the tax threshold or below but I think they'd be willing to pay the tax considering their new tv deal also. When's the next penalities kick in btw?

Rowe
06-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Not so sure he would even fetch all 9M of that TPE....so taking less money isn't the issue? That 9M TPE would be what he can earn upto yearly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though

The $9 Million Trade Exception would be up to the starting year salary.

As I said above, Los Angeles would have to pay him more than other teams would to be able to get a Sign & Trade deal done.

Rowe
06-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Well I mean I'm not so sure. Obviously they want to move closer to the tax threshold or below but I think they'd be willing to pay the tax considering their new tv deal also. When's the next penalities kick in btw?

The penalties kick in starting in 2013-2014.

Here's an example for the Lakers:

As an exercise, consider the Los Angeles Lakers. Last year, they had a payroll of nearly $86 million. Under the old system, which was in effect, the Lakers owed just under $16 million in luxury-tax fees. Under the new system, though, they would have owed $7.5 million for the first $5 million over the tax, $8.75 million for the next five million, $12.5 million for the next five million and $3.25 million for the final $1 million. Right there, that's a $32.25 million tax bill. In addition, since the Lakers were over the tax in four of the past five years, they would have owed an additional $5 million at each juncture. That leaves them with a tax bill of over $52 million for being $16 million over the threshold.

Rowe
06-29-2012, 03:23 PM

Well he's only 24. I'm guessing like most players he wants to earn some money and boost his value in a role where he can be a featured option before he starts chasing for a ring as he gets closer to 30.

hawkfan
06-29-2012, 03:52 PM
This tax system is a joke.
It does nothing for competitiveness.
Teams don't do well because they don't draft properly.

Detroit passed on Dwyane Wade.
Atlanta passed on Deron Williams.
Charlotte passed on Rudy Gay.
Memphis passed on James Harden.
Golden State passed on Tracy McGrady.

HylianNightmare
06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
love to see him in LA

sixer6ad
06-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Cavs have the 2nd most cap space in the league at 23 Million.

Kyrie, OJ, and DWait in the backcourt rotation? Mayo won state titles in Ohio as a prep player. Nobody is coming to Cleveland unless we overpay. Would that happen here?

Da KO King
06-29-2012, 04:46 PM
I think he should look at this as a chance to learn to become a PG like he wants to. Take a "reasonable" 2 or 3 year deal with whoever Chauncey Billups/Steve Nash sign with (if they will have him obviously), Boston (I'm not a major fan of Doc Rivers but that staff has done well with Rajon Rondo), or San Antonio.

Time with those staffs/players should equip him to play PG at a high level in the NBA, rejuvenate his career, and put him in position to make big cash on his follow-up contract.

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
I think he should look at this as a chance to learn to become a PG like he wants to. Take a "reasonable" 2 or 3 year deal with whoever Chauncey Billups/Steve Nash sign with (if they will have him obviously), Boston (I'm not a major fan of Doc Rivers but that staff has done well with Rajon Rondo), or San Antonio.

Time with those staffs/players should equip him to play PG at a high level in the NBA, rejuvenate his career, and put him in position to make big cash on his follow-up contract.

You're not a fan of one of the top 3 coaches in the league today? Why not?

The kid wants to get paid and be able to compete. He can go to Boston and get both. Let him develop a PG game in his own time during the off-season if he really wants it. Hell, call Payton up for some one-on-one time.

AAckley1
06-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Memphis lost the ability to S&T him when they didn't extend the QO. As of July 1, OJ has zero ties to the Grizzlies.

The Pacers have had Ovinton on their radar for 3 years now. They have the best combination of cap space, talent & situation for him to go to. Granted, OJ never seemed like he was comfortable playing the 6th man role. I have to assume if we acquire him, Collison would be on the move. This would allow OJ to play a Harden-esque role of 6th man receiving starter minutes.

B-Easy8
06-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Wolves should sign him. I would much rather this than trade for Gasol.

PickernRoller
06-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Wolves should sign him. I would much rather this than trade for Gasol.

Gasol has always being the "key piece" Wolves have wanted for their "perfect core". Khan has been waiting for him for ages...KLove for Gasol was a reality not so long ago.

QuebecBaller
06-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Memphis lost the ability to S&T him when they didn't extend the QO. As of July 1, OJ has zero ties to the Grizzlies.

The Pacers have had Ovinton on their radar for 3 years now. They have the best combination of cap space, talent & situation for him to go to. Granted, OJ never seemed like he was comfortable playing the 6th man role. I have to assume if we acquire him, Collison would be on the move. This would allow OJ to play a Harden-esque role of 6th man receiving starter minutes.

So it's better to be a 6th man than be the 6th man?

Rowe
06-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Wrong. Memphis couldn't Sign & Trade him if they gave him a QO.

They could only match offer sheets as he'd be a RFA.

Because Memphis is over the salary cap they do not have to renounce his Cap Hold despite not giving him a QO to return. This allows them to sign & trade Mayo for a player or Trade Exception if necessary.

liquidrage
06-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Cavs have the 2nd most cap space in the league at 23 Million.

Kyrie, OJ, and DWait in the backcourt rotation? Mayo won state titles in Ohio as a prep player. Nobody is coming to Cleveland unless we overpay. Would that happen here?

That's like the worst backcourt in the NBA. 3 players that can't do crap without the ball in their hands. AWESOME.

Here's a clue for everyone. OJ aint that good.

Rowe
06-29-2012, 10:21 PM
That's like the worst backcourt in the NBA. 3 players that can't do crap without the ball in their hands. AWESOME.

Here's a clue for everyone. OJ aint that good.

:biggums:

You must not realize that both Kyrie & OJ are able to play off the ball and hit jumpshots. OJ simply struggled in a role in Memphis where he was supposed to be "instant offense" off the bench for a team that had enough of a scoring punch in their starting lineup. He's a guy who is far better as a starter, and in Cleveland he'd start at SG while Waiters comes off the bench as a 6th Man.

bagelred
06-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Well, the Grizzlies could have squeezed OJ by making him restricted, but they decided not to hold the Mayo.

mrbigshot1
06-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Mayo needs to come to Detroit and start over Stuckey

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Well, the Grizzlies could have squeezed OJ by making him restricted, but they decided not to hold the Mayo.

You're getting there. :cheers:

YouAintGrizz
06-29-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm glad he's leaving. He's trash in the playoffs.

longtime lurker
06-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Lakers need to make a push for this kid. Come home Oj and become a legend.

Meticode
06-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Lakers need to make a push for this kid. Come home Oj and become a legend.
So just because he comes to the Lakers he becomes a legend? What kind of shit is this?

Yes, come to the Lakers Mayo, learn out to jack up shots towards the end of your career like Kobe.

I got all the respect in the world for Kobe, but JFC man.

longtime lurker
06-30-2012, 12:02 AM
So just because he comes to the Lakers he becomes a legend? What kind of shit is this?

Yes, come to the Lakers Mayo, learn out to jack up shots towards the end of your career like Kobe.

I got all the respect in the world for Kobe, but JFC man.

Don't you know ever player that comes to the Lakers becomes a legend :D

Seriously though he's a hometown kid that would be taking over the reigns from the greatest Laker ever. He wins a championship and he's immortalized.

LBJMVP
06-30-2012, 12:16 AM
maybe chicago? do they have enough cap space?

how bout golden state, minnesota, denver, boston?

StateOfMind12
06-30-2012, 12:19 AM
From what I heard, Mayo cannot really play or move without the ball which wouldn't make him and Rose a good fit.

I would still take Mayo though on the Bulls because he is a complete upgrade over Rip Hamilton who is made of glass but I'm really not so sure if they have the cap space to do so.

If the Bulls amnesty Boozer which they won't because their stupid then they should have the cap to do a lot of things. I lose more and more faith in the Bulls organization as time passes on.

ballup
06-30-2012, 01:25 AM
So OJ, I hear you'd like to play with Rondo? How about you come to Boston and you'll be spoonfed a crazy amount of shots. :D

LeFraud James
06-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Lakers please.

veilside23
06-30-2012, 02:32 AM
been wanting him to play in boston ... rondo mayo sullinger ... not bad... after the big 3 retires.

D-Rose
06-30-2012, 02:42 AM
One of the many teams with cap room will give him a decent contract, Boston sounds reasonable as they almost traded Ray for him. Incredible how far he's fallen since being drafted.

lilojmayo
06-30-2012, 07:49 PM
If im a GM in the NBA, I wouldn't touch OJ Mayo. that's how far he has fallen off.

unknowns8
07-01-2012, 03:21 AM
Don't you know ever player that comes to the Lakers becomes a legend :D

Seriously though he's a hometown kid that would be taking over the reigns from the greatest Laker ever. He wins a championship and he's immortalized.

Magic dont play no mo duuuude... :rolleyes:

Kevin_Garnett_5
07-01-2012, 04:33 AM
If im a GM in the NBA, I wouldn't touch OJ Mayo. that's how far he has fallen off.
:eek:

I wouldn't mind the Celtics signing him if they can't keep Ray. He's a good shooter and I think he'd play well with Rondo.

Horatio33
07-01-2012, 04:35 AM
I wonder what happened to lilojmayo? Did he hang himself?

RoundMoundOfReb
07-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Boston would be a good fit. Replacing Allen.

ralph_i_el
07-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Heat or Lakers

:roll: :roll: :roll:

for an MLE right?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Nick Young
07-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Lakers new PG:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: