PDA

View Full Version : Make LeBron a perimeter player and you will beat the Heat

AK47DR91
06-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Credit to Deuce Bigalow for pointing this out.

I know he's well-known as a LeBron-hater but I had the decency to let that slide and double check on his claim that LeBron shot very poorly from beyond 3 feet. What Deuce said was correct. One of the very rare moments that a LeBRon-hater and a LeBron support share a common ground.

Now some people are already saying the Heat will repeat or three-peat and build a dynasty. I say THINK AGAIN, that might not happen. How would you prevent the Heat from building a dynasty? You make LeBron a perimeter player. Make him shoot mid-range and long-range jumpers. Get a couple of good speedy and agile perimeter defenders with a meaty body and add a shotblocking center to prevent LeBron from scoring in around the rim.

Without further more, here are LeBron's shot chart from the Finals:
LeBron

r15mohd
06-29-2012, 02:47 PM
doubt it'll happen much now...he's found a liking for crashing in the paint and scoring, expect him to take advantage of his new found game down there.

inclinerator
06-29-2012, 02:48 PM
except he's harder to stop on the inside more than before

AlonzoGOAT
06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=AK47DR91]Credit to Deuce Bigalow for pointing this out.

I know he's well-known as a LeBron-hater but I had the decency to let that slide and double check on his claim that LeBron shot very poorly from beyond 3 feet. What Deuce said was correct. One of the very rare moments that a LeBRon-hater and a LeBron support share a common ground.

Now some people are already saying the Heat will repeat or three-peat and build a dynasty. I say THINK AGAIN, that might not happen. How would you prevent the Heat from building a dynasty? You make LeBron a perimeter player. Make him shoot mid-range and long-range jumpers. Get a couple of good speedy and agile perimeter defenders with a meaty body and add a shotblocking center to prevent LeBron from scoring in around the rim.

LeBron

StateOfMind12
06-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Nobody can stop him from attacking to the basket because he is still one of the best athletes in the game.

The only players that can stay in front of him are players like Avery Bradley, Rajon Rondo, etc. players who are much shorter and smaller than him but now that LeBron has added a legitimate post game to his game, he can take advantage by simply posting them up.

You can't stop LeBron. You're only hope is to have his teammates completely suck dick which is not out of the picture.

Heavincent
06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
You can't stop LeBron. You're only hope is to have his teammates completely suck dick which is not out of the picture.

Someone didn't watch the 2011 Finals.

AlonzoGOAT
06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Nobody can stop him from attacking to the basket because he is still one of the best athletes in the game.

The only players that can stay in front of him are players like Avery Bradley, Rajon Rondo, etc. players who are much shorter and smaller than him but now that LeBron has added a legitimate post game to his game, he can take advantage by simply posting them up.

And this. OP do you think he can stopped with magic or some maybe double teaming? See how that worked out last game in the finals

AMISTILLILL
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Are we acting like this wasn't a well known fact or something?

AK47DR91
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
except he's harder to stop on the inside more than before
Well, there aren't a lot of Shawn Marion's in this league. And the Thunder or Celtics had that type of a defender.

A LeBron-stopper must be speedy, agile with enough weight to keep LeBron from getting into the paint at ease. And the defender must also have some low-post help with a shotblocker waiting alter LeBron's shot or post moves.

The Mavs had that combination in Marion, JET, Stevenson and then with the help of Chandler in the paint. They forced LeBron to stand around the 3-point arc for 3 games of that 6-game series.

pauk
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
doubt it'll happen now and hasnt happened entire year...he's found a liking (and much improved skills there thanks to Hakeem) for posting up which is still only getting better, he has found how to viciously punish teams with his vision/passing from the post aswell which forces teams to either give up a wideopen jumpshot from his shooters or let him go 1on1 against the ragdoll that defends him... and is crashing the paint and scoring with a full blitz, doing his best to not bail you out for a low percentage shot from the perimeter..

This is a different Lebron we are seeing here, a more mature, super high IQ player... he is like playing chess out there... making a move, see how you react, then he counter acts, profit... and unlike other players he doesnt have a #1 priority.... his priority is to make the correct/best basketball play, whether it is a pass or a shot... its just picking your poision...

YAWN
06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
he's only gonna be 28 next season, he can keep blowing by people and throwing his big ass body around to get fouls or easy layups for at least 4 more seasons.

Once his athleticism fades I think he'll play like a big man inside and focus on help D, rebounding, and easy buckets.

He can't go the post athleticism vince carter route and turn into a jump shooter.

AK47DR91
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Well, a lot of people were/are saying how unstoppable and amazing he was in the Finals. I was one of those people.

But now I have recant my initial views on his 2012 Finals performance. It wasn't as great as I thought it was.

I will give him credit for being an unstoppable force inside the paint and around the rim but we saw an unstoppable force 10-12 years ago in a future Hall of famer named Shaquille O'Neal, and he went into a decline 3 years after winning his 3rd Finals MVP.

LeBron doesn't have the strength or power that Shaq had so his raw power decline will happen before he's 33.

chosen_one6
06-29-2012, 03:01 PM
LeBron isn't slowing down for a good 4-5 years at least, and he most certainly is not going to get weaker. I think as long as he works on his post game and the Heat have spot up shooters on the floor, they'll be fine.

Also, don't discount that he could continue to work on his jumper in these next 5 years...

AK47DR91
06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
LeBron isn't slowing down for a good 4-5 years at least, and he most certainly is not going to get weaker. I think as long as he works on his post game and the Heat have spot up shooters on the floor, they'll be fine.

Also, don't discount that he could continue to work on his jumper in these next 5 years...
After a certain age, your body gets weaker unless you're taking steroids or HGH. Maybe I'm in the minority but I just don't see him bulldozing people anymore once he turn 31.

I do hope he gets his mid-range going because I want him to dominate the league for the next 8-10 years. Age 31-35 is what I'm worried about. What is he gonna do without his physical power? :(

Umad101
06-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Make the big 3 all jump shooter. That the only way

ihoopallday
06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Lots of potential NBA head coaches in here. Haha but any ways it's easy to plan on stopping LeBron, but harder to execute it. If you tell your best perimeter defender how to guard Kobe, Durant, etc., does it mean it'll happen?

All Net
06-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Someone didn't watch the 2011 Finals.

Lebron is clearly a much more polished player than he was in 2011

Nash
06-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Easier said than done.

Deuce Bigalow
06-29-2012, 03:59 PM
He's a well known ignorant dumbass but I agree with this post making LeBron a jump shooter look at gm 6 with the celtics this year he gt shut down.
:oldlol: who the hell is this guy?

dunksby
06-29-2012, 04:01 PM
LeBron can't shoot is this a new discovery? Keeping that leviathan away from the basket is a daunting task.

LA_Showtime
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
This thread reminds me that Brandon Bass is an idiot. He got him to play perimeter ball but he ruined it by acting like LeBron was Ray Allen from downtown.

Bigsmoke
06-29-2012, 04:13 PM
way too many words to put in an already played out topic

Doctor Rivers
06-29-2012, 05:19 PM
and much improved skills there thanks to Hakeem

i always laugh when people mention this like working with Hakeem for a couple hours made players like kobe or lebron better post players. LeBron obviously put in a ton of work (w/o Hakeem) to improve his post game.

LikeABosh
06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
It's easier said than done. You double him and he can make you pay by finding the open man, besides, lets not act like he can't shoot. He shot a respectable 40% from mid range last season

devin112
06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
LeBron can't shoot is this a new discovery? Keeping that leviathan away from the basket is a daunting task.

yup

lbj23clutch
06-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Way to point out the obvious captain obvious.

RRR3
06-29-2012, 05:27 PM
It's easier said than done. You double him and he can make you pay by finding the open man, besides, lets not act like he can't shoot. He shot a respectable 40% from mid range last season
He can shoot, but he's insanely streaky. His shot was completely off the majority of the playoffs, which worried me, but thankfully, he found other ways to score. Part of LBJ's problem in 2011 IMO was that he became way too much of a jumpshooter, and while it worked the first 3 rounds, once his shot abandoned him he lost all his confidence and turned in his infamous stinker in the finals. I'd like to see him get more consistent with his jumper, because I thought overall his jumper regressed in 2012, but he has improved his shot a lot over the years.

Thunderstruck
06-29-2012, 05:52 PM

LeBron’s shooting from beyond 3-feet
Game 1 LOSS (Away 94-105): 5 out of 15(3 for 12 outside the paint)
Game 2 WIN (Away 100-96): 3 out of 11(2 out of 8 outside the paint)
Game 3 WIN (Home 85-91): 3 out of 13(2 out of 9 outside the paint)
Game 4 WIN (Home 98-104): 5 out of 13(2 out of 9 outside the paint)
Game 5 WIN (Home 106-121): 1 out of 9(0 out of 5 outside the paint)

Beyond 3-feet(4 feet or further): 17 out of 61 or 28%
Outside of the paint: 9 out of 43 or 21%
3 feet or closer: 34 out of 47or 72%
ALL SHOTS: 51 shots made out of 108 shot attempts for the series OR 47%

If I was a Heat fan, I wouldn't feel so overly-confident about about being back-to-back or three-peat champions or 4 or 5 champions in the next 5 years. LeBron cannot rely solely on his speedy, strength and raw power to get it done. He needs his jumpers going or else he'll only be sitting with one or two rings. I don't see him winning anymore than two with his current skills.

His decline will start showing by 2015 if he doesn't get his mid-range game going.

This is why the Thunder drafted Perry Jones. The Thunder missed Jeff Green a lot in the Miami series. They just didn't have the size or athleticism on the perimeter to keep Lebron from going into the paint, so they doubled him and he kicked it out to wide open shooters all over the court and they stepped up and torched us. Perry Jones will hopefully help fill that role.

che guevara
06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
:applause: Absolute brilliance by Deuce Bigalow. Not like every single analyst has said the exact same thing for the last 9 years or anything.

pauk
06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
i always laugh when people mention this like working with Hakeem for a couple hours made players like kobe or lebron better post players. LeBron obviously put in a ton of work (w/o Hakeem) to improve his post game.

Yes, but Hakeem gave him the foundation.. the reason.. the cause.. and has been in touch with him all the time since then giving tips, drills, what not... Did you know that Hakeem called Lebron 3 times during the ECF/Finals this year to give him some ideas on how he should attack in the post considering how the defense was playing him and so on? Yes Lebron puts in all the work himself in the post, but Hakeem is like his Yoda... I bet he even called Lebron after the championship going: "What did i tell you?" :D

I bet he was like this with Kobe to...

Lebron said he will work with him this off season again... the guy is really falling in love with the post and that is scary... its about damn time

97 bulls
06-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Someone shouldve informed Scott Brooks and Kevind Durant. The way they played James was as if they had never seen him before.

SilkkTheShocker
06-29-2012, 06:45 PM
This is why the Thunder drafted Perry Jones. The Thunder missed Jeff Green a lot in the Miami series. They just didn't have the size or athleticism on the perimeter to keep Lebron from going into the paint, so they doubled him and he kicked it out to wide open shooters all over the court and they stepped up and torched us. Perry Jones will hopefully help fill that role.

There is no way Perry 1. plays the 3 spot in the NBA 2. Can stay in front of Lebron.

KyrieTheFuture
06-29-2012, 06:51 PM
You act like forcing him to be a perimeter player is easy.

Pushxx
06-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Do people still not realize how much Tyson Chandler and Shawn Marion in the zone basically nullified LeBron? If you don't have tools like that, LeBron is going to get into the paint.

OldSchoolBBall
06-29-2012, 06:56 PM

Very hard to do when he can just throw his body into people and get a whistle at any point. Years ago this strategy would be true - it's what teams did against young Jordan, too, which is what made him develop his jumper early. But today guys can just bull their way and plow through people and get whistles like it's going out of style, so they don't need to hit the jumper necessarily.

OldSchoolBBall
06-29-2012, 06:57 PM
After a certain age, your body gets weaker unless you're taking steroids or HGH. Maybe I'm in the minority but I just don't see him bulldozing people anymore once he turn 31.

I do hope he gets his mid-range going because I want him to dominate the league for the next 8-10 years. Age 31-35 is what I'm worried about. What is he gonna do without his physical power? :(

Strength actually peaks in the mid-30's for men. Speed and quickness and leaping peaks in the early-mid 20's.

Nash
06-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Yo, while we're being experts and shit. How about keeping that fella Dwight Howard away from the paint? That would take him away from the game.

Celtic_Pride
06-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Someone shouldve informed Scott Brooks and Kevind Durant. The way they played James was as if they had never seen him before.

I agree

OKC are having the league's best shot blocker and one of the premiere 1 on 1 defenders..yet they allowed Lebron to kill them in the paint

I thought Mavs and Celtics showed a blue print on how to guard Lebron but Brooks turned out to be a fool

KyrieTheFuture
06-29-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree

OKC are having the league's best shot blocker and one of the premiere 1 on 1 defenders..yet they allowed Lebron to kill them in the paint

I thought Mavs and Celtics showed a blue print on how to guard Lebron but Brooks turned out to be a fool

Ibaka is only good as a weak side shot blocker when defending a PF with inside game. Seeing as they had him guard Battier (THAT was a stupid decision) he was pulled far too away from the hoop to be that tyson chandler type defender. Also marion has ALWAYS had the blueprint on screwing LeBron. Sef isn't as good.

che guevara
06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Very hard to do when he can just throw his body into people and get a whistle at any point. Years ago this strategy would be true - it's what teams did against young Jordan, too, which is what made him develop his jumper early. But today guys can just bull their way and plow through people and get whistles like it's going out of style, so they don't need to hit the jumper necessarily.
:rolleyes:

LikeABosh
06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
One does not simply, keep Lebron out of the paint.

LelBron
06-29-2012, 07:47 PM

http://i.imgur.com/pbpId.jpg

Timmy D for MVP
06-29-2012, 07:47 PM
OP should be a coach!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

HorryIsMyMVP
06-29-2012, 07:49 PM
This is so hilariously obvious every player in the world shoots a higher percent taking lay ups or dunks. Lets fault Lebron for working hard against good defenses and having good shot selection.

Human Error
06-29-2012, 07:57 PM
LOL at OP giving credit to some not-so-smart-poster for being smarter than him. I mean, is it a secret that you have to keep LeBron out of the paint to have a better chance to beat the Miami Heat? Heck, what about keeping LeBron beyond the 3 point line for the entire game then? :oldlol:

The problem is not whether you know it or not, but whether you actually can. LeBron can easily beat multiple defenders off the dribble to get to the rim and he's the game's best finisher once he gets closer to the rim. A hugh facepalm if OP thought the Thunder did not know that they needed to keep LeBron out of the paint. The Thunder tried everything to make LeBron a perimeter player but failed even when they had one of the better wing defenders in Thabo Sefolosha and rim protecters in Serge Ibaka.

Damn trolling idiots. :banghead:

RaininTwos
06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
He's a post player now, let it go. There isnt a set formula. You just have to play better than the Heat to win. He doesnt care what his shot percent on jumpers are anymore, dude is going to penetrate or post up.

Colbertnation64
06-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Wow man what a great idea. Prevent LeBron from getting to the rim. I'm sure no ones has thought of that and I'm sure it's easy to do.

Human Error
06-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Wow man what a great idea. Prevent LeBron from getting to the rim. I'm sure no ones has thought of that and I'm sure it's easy to do.
:oldlol:

AK47DR91
06-29-2012, 09:40 PM
OP should be a coach!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
I've always dreamt of being a basketball coach. Well, actually a basketball player but I'm not gifted enough to be a player, so coaching would be a nice consolation prize.

Human Error
06-29-2012, 11:32 PM
I've always dreamt of being a basketball coach. Well, actually a basketball player but I'm not gifted enough to be a player, so coaching would be a nice consolation prize.
Unable to read sarcasm. :facepalm

AK47DR91
06-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Unable to read sarcasm. :facepalm
Sarcasm cannot be read.

kentatm
06-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Umm... Or maybe you could credit teams like the Mavs and Celtics who have been blatantly doing this for years in the playoffs.

AK47DR91
06-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Umm... Or maybe you could credit teams like the Mavs and Celtics who have been blatantly doing this for years in the playoffs.
Well, I would have known that if I was following the NBA more closer than I am with insidehoops.

I get 90% of my b-ball information from here, at insidehoops.

pauk
06-30-2012, 03:47 PM
:oldlol:

Inactive
06-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Don't let him score, and deny his teammates the ball. That's the key to beating Lebron. The fact that no one has tried this just shows how shockingly incompetent NBA coaches are.

If you could just force Lebron to stay on the perimeter, he would never have accomplished anything in the NBA. Every team has tried that, and failed, since he came into the league.

EllisGW
06-30-2012, 04:15 PM
i hope people know lebron has better outside shoot percentage than camerlo anthony this year and last year he was third behind ray allen and dirk.

catquickspider
06-30-2012, 04:23 PM
well that is the reason why he has only won 1 ring in the last 5 or so years

it has been an effective strategy

it did not work in the finals because miller and battier were making their shots at an ungodly rate. You have to assume that miller and battier will not do that again so it will probably be an effective strategy going forward again

AlonzoGOAT
06-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Tbh their is a way but you would have to kill him that alone takes more then a few people and month of planning. Pretty much a suicide mission.

Nash
06-30-2012, 04:40 PM
As if Woodson, Vogel, Doc and Brooks didn't say that to their players every damn second during the series.

ChrisPosh
06-30-2012, 05:04 PM
inb4 the James rules

Ikill
06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Lebron was getting a lot of points in the paint but it wasn't from breaking down players off the dribble and blowing past them. His streaky jumpshot and creating off the dribble are still weaknesses in Lebrons game but this playoffs he just played to his strengths. Instead of trying to blow past people which he struggled with last year he use his muscle and strength. He would cut to the basket get out in transition attack before defenses were set and most importantly posting up. He played a completely different game in the playoffs and other teams didn't know how to react.

Ikill
06-30-2012, 05:53 PM
he's only gonna be 28 next season, he can keep blowing by people and throwing his big ass body around to get fouls or easy layups for at least 4 more seasons.

Once his athleticism fades I think he'll play like a big man inside and focus on help D, rebounding, and easy buckets.

He can't go the post athleticism vince carter route and turn into a jump shooter.
He's already lost some of his athleticism not just a little bit theres a clear difference between Cleveland Lebron and current Lebron. He's already playing that game your talking about

devin112
06-30-2012, 06:14 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4858/imageorp.jpg
AK47DR91
#1 Stern stan

You just shamed NY. Can't believe you get 90% of your basketball knowledge from ISH.

ripthekik
06-30-2012, 09:54 PM
It's more like teams haven't adjusted well.
Coach Brooks is the worst, with absolutely adjustments. I think I could have coached thunders to play better defense on lebron.

I don't think he scored as much inside the paint when playing with celtics.